The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+3
Corporalhumblebucket
chichestersurreyfan
jimbohammers
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 19 Apr 2018, 4:57 pm

And we're back Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
Surrey have named a 12-man squad for their season opening Specsavers County Championship match with Hampshire at the Kia oval'
South African batsman Dean Elgar is named in his first Surrey squad in his second spell after returning to the club last week.
As announced on Wednesday, Morne Morkel is currently completing a ‘back to bowling’ programme with the hope of featuring for Surrey by the start of June. Rolling Eyes
Conor McKerr is on a similar route back to fitness due to a side strain picked up on the pre-season tour of Dubai while Stuart Meaker is unavailable due to a family bereavement. Sad
There is no place in the squad for Arun Harinath ,Ryan patel ,Matt Pillans Will Jacks, Freddie burger van or Gus Atkinson
Full squad is as follows:
Rory Burns (captain)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rikki Clarke
Sam Curran
Jade Dernbach
Matt Dunn
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Ollie Pope
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
As previously said by others on the main forum I doubt Meaker would have played otherwise.
The sun is out so could that possibly see either jade or Dunn miss out for the final spot Headscratch
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Thu 19 Apr 2018, 6:13 pm

Cheers Jimbob

Morkel out for that long is huge, I'm back to being pessimistic about the season again! I can't see us going with 2 spinners this early in the season so I'll go with Virdi to miss out.

James100

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS HAMPSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr 2018, 8:17 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

I'm sure what you have posted is correct although the communication from the Club is all over the shop! If you look at the earlier Match Info thread which is still on the website (just below Food & Drink details!!), that lists a 14 man squad including Meaker, Pillans and Patel (all now missing) but not Virdi (who is there)!

Even with the sun out, I struggle to believe we'll go with 2 frontline spinners in April and so I go along with James in Virdi missing out.

Pleased although slightly surprised that Dunn has edged ahead of Pillans. Dunn's had a rough couple of years with injuries and deserves a bit of luck.

Like James though, I'm worried where the 20 Hants wickets are going to come from without Morkel ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Apr 2018, 9:38 am

Also surprised Pillans isn’t in the squad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:02 am

Morning guys.

From a Hampshire perspective, we will likely to be unchanged from the win last week.

McManus
Adams
Vince
Northeast
Amla
Dawson
Rossouw
Berg
Abbott
Wheal
Edwards

Although i would probably bring Weatherly in for Rossouw and have McManus down at 7.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:36 am

Batty misses out due to a back spasm
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:50 am

1 change for us, Wood comes in for Berg. Must be an injury as Berg is a big player for us, with bat and ball. Wood plays his first 4 day game in years!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Apr 2018, 11:30 am

Why are we batting one of the best openers in test cricket at 4 Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Apr 2018, 12:41 pm

Morning all and thanks, Jimbob.

63 - 2. Interesting line up - must admit to being surprised Dunn has found himself back in the first team so soon after coming back into contention. Tail looks ultra weak batting wise with Dernbach at 9. He's a natural no 11 despite bashing some runs against Cambs recently. So we'll just have to hope it's not needed to contribute. Surrey staging bit of a recovery after losing two early wickets. Unless there's substantial help from pitch or overhead conditions, I'm struggling to see where 20 wickets will come from.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2018, 1:17 pm

Excellent session of proper cricket.
Great battle going on between Edwards and Burns.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2018, 3:22 pm

surrey players taking the news of wenger leaving badly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

187 - 4 at tea. Still fairly even. As in first session steady recovery after loss of two early wickets. Church and co reckon there was a fair bit in the pitch for the bowlers but that it is now easing up. Pope playing quite nicely with several boundaries off Dawson.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2018, 4:41 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:187 - 4 at tea.  Still fairly even.  As in first session steady recovery after loss of two early wickets.  Church and co reckon there was a fair bit in the pitch for the bowlers but that it is now easing up.  Pope playing quite nicely with several boundaries off Dawson.
right on cue corporal Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2018, 4:42 pm

really poor from baby face mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2018, 4:51 pm

foakes given out lbw when it came off the middle of the bat steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr 2018, 5:00 pm

game lost on day 1 thumbsdown

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Apr 2018, 5:12 pm

“Hey Kumar, fancy one last season...”
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Apr 2018, 7:29 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:  Tail looks ultra weak batting wise with Dernbach at 9. He's a natural no 11 despite bashing some runs against Cambs recently. So we'll just have to hope it's not needed to contribute.
Dernbach 0, Dunn 0 Virdi 0*  Contribution, literally, zero!  Tbf Curran and Clarke didn't exact contribute a lot with the bat either....

At least we've taken a few wickets ourselves.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 20 Apr 2018, 9:11 pm

A pretty even day after those late Hampshire wickets.

Would be interested to hear from Guildford (if he went) how Wood bowled? Very economical figures. He's a very good one day bowler but as i mentioned earlier he hasn't played a 4 day game in a long time!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 20 Apr 2018, 9:21 pm

Would say Hants are just on top - yes they’ve lost three wickets, but none of them being Vince, Northeast or Amla means they’re still in a decent position here
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

Ho hum.

My take is we're not out of it but we're behind in a match where there's going to be a positive result.

In all three sessions we lost a couple of wickets early on. In the morning and afternoon, we grafted and fought back. After tea, we folded dreadfully. The three zeros catch the eye but Curran and Clarke deserve more blame, two would be all-rounders falling cheaply to irresponsible shots. Before that, four frontline batsmen had gone past 30 but none reached 50 - we really needed two to push on and make things count.

Edwards was impressive and the pick of the bowlers by some way. Fast and thoughtfully mixing it up. One near perfect yorker fired in at Burns which the Surrey skipper did very well to dig out at the last moment. He got his man a bit later though with a clip going to hand at leg slip/gully where Northeast had been specially positioned for the worked out delivery. I've previously tended to think of Edwards as a bit of a loose cannon but today anyway he was right on the money. It was almost inevitable he was going to castle Dernbach to get his fourfer.

Dawson's same haul flattered him as Surrey's late order gifted their wickets away. Wood - filling in for Berg to the disappointment of Jimbo and several Hants supporters at the Oval - surprisingly justified his call up with the important wicket of Elgar and a mighty economical return which compensated for Abbott and Wheal both being off radar at times.

The loss of 3 Hants wickets late on is an obvious plus for Surrey but they've still got a fair bit of batting talent left - Vince, Northeast, Amla, Rossouw, Dawson and Abbott who got a 50 last week. Even with a nightwatchman used, Amla seems incredibly low at 6.

I suspect that if we are not to lose this match, we have to win the first session tomorrow. And even then, that might not be enough ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr 2018, 10:17 pm

jimbohammers wrote:A pretty even day after those late Hampshire wickets.

Would be interested to hear from Guildford (if he went) how Wood bowled? Very economical figures. He's a very good one day bowler but as i mentioned earlier he hasn't played a 4 day game in a long time!

Hi Jimbo - I only saw your post after my main one. I mentioned Wood then but just to expand a bit more. He was consistently accurate and at times, particularly in the morning, found some movement off the pitch when bowling from the Pavilion end. His economy was helped in his first spell by Surrey having lost two early wickets and having to dig in but nonetheless he served up no freebies. I didn't get the impression that he would (ever) tear through an opposition line up but he made me think he might be a decent foil at one end with Edwards or Abbott blitzing away at the other.

Only on today's evidence admittedly but he might challenge Wheal - who seemed down on pace and a little wayward at times - for a place once Berg is back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 20 Apr 2018, 11:55 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Hi Jimbo - I only saw your post after my main one. I mentioned Wood then but just to expand a bit more. He was consistently accurate and at times, particularly in the morning, found some movement off the pitch when bowling from the Pavilion end. His economy was helped in his first spell by Surrey having lost two early wickets and having to dig in but nonetheless he served up no freebies. I didn't get the impression that he would (ever) tear through an opposition line up but he made me think he might be a decent foil at one end with Edwards or Abbott blitzing away at the other.

Only on today's evidence admittedly but he might challenge Wheal - who seemed down on pace and a little wayward at times - for a place once Berg is back.

Thanks for the reply, Guildford. I've always been a big fan of Wood, he's a very good one day bowler for us, unfortunately he's been very unlucky with injuries. He's not quick but always thought he was a 'skillful' bowler.

Interesting to hear that Edwards was pretty spot on today. He's still got it.. A lot of the time he can be quite eratic with his pace, but when he's on it he'll take wickets all day long.

Dawson said in his interview with Solent that his wickets were gifted to him and said there was little turn if any.
First hour tomorrow is key.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2018, 7:36 am

jimbohammers wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Guildford. I've always been a big fan of Wood, he's a very good one day bowler for us, unfortunately he's been very unlucky with injuries. He's not quick but always thought he was a 'skillful' bowler.

Interesting to hear that Edwards was pretty spot on today. He's still got it.. A lot of the time he can be quite eratic with his pace, but when he's on it he'll take wickets all day long.

Dawson said in his interview with Solent that his wickets were gifted to him and said there was little turn if any.
First hour tomorrow is key.

Hi again Jimbo - what I particularly liked about Edwards was him being psyched up but still in control. When he had one of his lbw appeals upheld - Borthwick, I think - he ran and leapt high punching the air. It was clear that at that moment it meant everything to him.

Yeah, without wanting to be accused of sour grapes, Dawson was pretty ordinary with the odd full toss early on. Fortunately for him, Surrey's second half of the order were even more ordinary - considerably so, in fact.

I'm going along today as well. As I suggested last night, if you win the opening session I fully expect you to win the match.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sat 21 Apr 2018, 2:05 pm

After all our worries that the match had been lost on the first day, Hants have been bowled out for 147 (4 each for Curran and Clarke). On a low scoring pitch, that 64 run first-innings lead could be the deciding factor.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 21 Apr 2018, 2:49 pm

both openers gone Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 21 Apr 2018, 4:27 pm

Abbott apart the rest of the Hampshire bowlers have looked ordinary in the session after lunch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Sat 21 Apr 2018, 4:35 pm

Greetings everyone from a very warm and sunny Chichester...today has gone much better thus far than I had originally anticipated...

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 21 Apr 2018, 6:02 pm

Just watching the highlights on the Surrey twitter feed - these umpires have proper trigger fingers, the LbW to Roussow looked to pitch miles outside leg, and the one that Borthwick just got looked to be going over to me...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 21 Apr 2018, 6:57 pm

Surrey close 281 runs ahead with 6 wickets in hand - Hampshire will need to score the highest score of the game to win this one in the 4th dig, as Guildford always points out, very rarely done that! Great day for the Rey - Curran and Clarke with the ball, and good to see Borthwick in the runs runs too.

Hopefully Foakes and Pope can push on in the morning. In an ideal world Surrey declare mid afternoon session tomorrow with a lead of around 450? Presume there’s no weather concerns for Sunday/Monday?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2018, 7:02 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Just watching the highlights on the Surrey twitter feed - these umpires have proper trigger fingers, the LbW to Roussow looked to pitch miles outside leg, and the one that Borthwick just got looked to be going over to me...

Matt Dunn's dad thought it was plumb out! Laugh

12 of the 24 dismissals have been lbw. Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 21 Apr 2018, 7:58 pm

Sorry Jimbo but Surrey won each of the 3 sessions today and end the second day well on top. A complete change from last night.

Clarke set the mood by getting Vince lbw (what else!) with the second ball of the day. A fine effort by Clarke, he bowled 9 overs on the reel in that morning session and deserved the fourfer he ended up with. Some good bowling from Sam too who also merited his four. Hants' main issue was that no one stayed with Amla who was last out.

Abbott had his radar back on for our second dig which was just as well for the visitors as their other bowlers struggled. Edwards was a pale imitation of yesterday's fast and accurate strike bowler. Dawson was again pretty ordinary but so far this time round we haven't gifted him any wickets. Batting honours to Borthwick (not often I've written that!) - an innings of concentration with some decent strokeplay along the way.

Finally, clap clap for both keepers, McManus and Foakes. Excellent catching by both, real stunners.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 21 Apr 2018, 10:59 pm

Really good performance by Surrey today. Sounds like our swing bowling with Rikki Clarke and Curran was in the right groove. I saw a fair bit of the Borthwick, Foakes, Pope batting on the live feed. Borthwick looked a lot better than the scratchy batsman I saw last summer, and both Foakes and Pope looked excellent.

I guess a couple of points of caution in order. Based on first innings, it could be a case of one out, all out tomorrow morning. Also, if the ball doesn't swing when we bowl then the total we set, although likely to be fairly challenging, may well still be eminently gettable.

Agree with Guildford - there were some very fine catches from the keepers.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 22 Apr 2018, 11:33 am

Fifty up for the Holy one - he’s pushing on this morning at quite a rate
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 12:25 pm

that's all goes for a excellent 81 clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 22 Apr 2018, 1:08 pm

Pope brings up the first Surrey century of the season clap

I saw Will Macpherson on Twitter yesterday saying that Roy wouldn't get in his first choice side with everyone fit

https://twitter.com/willis_macp/status/987799868914700288

Wonder what everyone thinks? For now I'd have him ahead of Borthwick with Elgar moving up to 3, but when Marsh comes in that becomes less of an option.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 1:22 pm

by the time roy gets back not every will be in form I'd imagine ,james

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Apr 2018, 1:59 pm

Hi folks - not at the game today although saw the last half-hour before lunch on the stream - with the commentary, it's really good.

Excellent innings from Pope. My early thoughts on him before today have been along the lines of ''a handy one-day player who can push the score along but may give too many chances in the longer format''. Looks like I'm going to to have to revise that!

As for Roy - JimBob is right that we don't know who will be in form, injured, on international duty etc when he comes back. However, it would be the cliched nice headache to have if he was back for the next CC game. Borthwick and Pope can't really be dropped after their knocks yesterday and today.

Meanwhile, I feel we should try and push on for a lead of 460 before declaring (note I'm saying 'try' - we may collapse like dominos at the end). Keep 'em out in the field to keep 'em guessing and get 'em more tired. That should be a lot more than enough but the track looks as if it's got easier to bat on plus they have Amla who looked in good touch yesterday until he was rather left stranded.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 2:02 pm

Clarke gives his wkt away here comes the tail

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 2:12 pm

Dunn to the crease

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Apr 2018, 2:21 pm

Too late in the day and rather wasted on Dernbach but that was an absolute brute of a ball to get him from Edwards.

Meanwhile, Dunn done out a single with Pope refusing to run on the last ball of the over ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 2:53 pm

Hampshire 472 to win
you got what you wanted Guildford Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Hampshire 472 to win
you got what you wanted Guildford Very Happy

Yeah, I'm happy with how we've judged the declaration. Should be more than enough time left for us to win the game and prevent Hants escaping with the draw. For Surrey to lose from here, at least two of the Hants batsmen will need to play out of their skins.

Absolutely brilliant innings at the end to see us to the declaration- I'm referring, of course, to Matt Dunn's 9 not out. That's what I'll be saying to the Dunn family anyway the next time I see one of them in my local boozer and try to scrounge a free pint! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 22 Apr 2018, 3:10 pm

Funny old game - anyone ever said that before? Wink

Dawson with returns of 4/30 in our first dig and 2/85 second time round, yet I thought he bowled best today. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2018, 4:04 pm

Very fine and mature innings from Pope. clap clap  Is there a hashtag for the pontiff for England yet?

Hants making a solid start to their second innings (29 without loss at tea) - it really does look as though it's a lot easier to bat now. If it proves that there's no swing on offer then the familiar question arises as to which Surrey bowler will actually take the wickets.  Rikki Clarke could well take a few...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 4:57 pm

2 down Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 22 Apr 2018, 5:36 pm

4 down Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 22 Apr 2018, 5:39 pm

That LBW decision for Vince is laughable

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 22 Apr 2018, 6:09 pm

jimbohammers wrote:That LBW decision for Vince is laughable

As I noted earlier on Jimbo, these umpires have “trigger fingers” - as you said, that LBW was a shameful decision from a county standard umpire
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 22 Apr 2018, 6:11 pm

jimbohammers wrote:That LBW decision for Vince is laughable
Just watched replay on Twitter. Difficult to see what happened - not sure that that would have hit the stumps - might well have clipped top of stump but maybe at least as likely that it would have passed an inch or two over. Looked a better candidate for caught at short leg!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next