The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

+11
GPB
LadyPutt
1GrumpyGolfer
pedro
wiretapper
McLaren
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
super_realist
kwinigolfer
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 09 May 2018, 6:34 pm

1).All the top golfers have converged on TPC Sawgrass for The Players Championship, as have most of the best of the rest. Arguably the second strongest field of the year, after the PGA Championship, prepare for their final look at Pete Dye's design in May before it reverts to its original March date - to be replaced in May by the PGA for 2019 when all the US Major eggs will be found in one spring basket.
It looks a lousy idea to me but, who knows, something presidential may be behind this unless Turnberry gets an Open soon - an executive order likely to declare The Players a Major and The Open relegated to a status akin to the Barbasol as ICE make travel to and from Britain nigh on impossible.

2).Familiarity is inclined to breed contempt but not for me with the TPC Sawgrass; still deplore the penal nature of #17 - though I know many/most like it - but one of the strengths of the tournament's stature is the course and the consistency of the challenge. It's had a bit of a facelift the past couple of years and I'm not sure I like the idea of reconfiguring #12 as a driveable par-4, just doesn't seem to lend itself to the normal risk/reward associated with short Par-4's, but love the Par-5's, best on Tour in my book, though Muirfield Village's collection would give them a close run.

3).Perhaps we'll see the new Tour calendar this week, or at least part of it. Could even see the North Korea Open added - just hope established venues don't get added to the Tour's discard pile.

4).Missed most of the Wells Fargo's weekend play from Quail Hollow, but love that tournament and it looks like it was another good one.
Can't suss the 2018 model of Jason Day, but he's now won on two of the Tour's strongest tests and may be back as a Major factor. He won at TPC in 2016 before he largely disappeared, apparently for at least two or three reasons. Day's President's Cup record continued to deteriorate and he still seems to blow a bit hot and cold; but when he can hit shots as he did on #17 on Sunday, under pretty much maximum tournament pressure, it's clearly time to take him seriously again.

5).Happy to see Molinari find some form at Quail Hollow - just in time for the TPC I hope! Kaymer has a played 9, made 9 cuts record at The Players and once again showed flickers of form last week.
And another solid tournament for Seamus Power; there's another "reshuffle" effective last Monday and Power has again beefed up his position. But he'll likely only get to play Dallas and Memphis before The Travelers at the end of June unless he qualifies for Shinnecock, such are the perils of Tour journeymen during this phase of the schedule with so many elite or invitational events coming thick and fast.

6).One man certainly NOT in form, on Sunday at least, was Brice Garnett - don't usually check out these things, but noticed that his Round 4 "strokes gained putting" was -7.85. Blimey, so that's how you shoot 88.

7).I think I'm right in saying that T.Woods is the only pro to have won The Players in its March version as well as in May - was always very impressed that he could win in 2013 but Garcia rather handed it to him (as did Casey Wittenberg). Sergio is the leading money winner here, has won once and runnered up twice in making 16 cuts from 18 trips. But he has a hat-trick of missed Tour cuts and doesn't look the cast iron bet that he usually is. An important part of the season coming along for Sergio and he needs to get his head on straight if he's to make anything of his season.

8). Ian Poulter also has two second-place results here - he's playing with his mate Justin plus Tommy Fleetwood and would expect another strong week from Poults. Rose hasn't been at his best recently and only has one top 15 result on a course you'd think he should play well on. Whilst Fleetwood took last weekend off and it'll be interesting to see how he goes after his debut T41 last year.

9).If Zach Johnson's putter is working (surprisingly big IF recently) I'd quite fancy him this week, but don't really have a strong idea about a likely winner - I'll take Molinari for my one-and-done, just finding some form and Top 7 results on his last three visits. He's in an interesting threesome at the arse end of Thursday's play: With Laird and O'Hair who've also had run-ins with the TPC leaderboard.

10).Didn't realise Jim Furyk & Mike Weir were twins - 48 candles apiece on Saturday, though doubt Weir at least will be at Ponte Vedra Beach.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 09 May 2018, 7:49 pm

Confirmation that Paul Casey is a non-starter, reportedly hampered by a back problem. Not a good time of the season for that to happen. Keith Mitchell replaces him.

The weather should be mostly dry and seasonably warm, perhaps a bit breezy though, with the possibility of a shower or two on Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players Championship: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Wed 09 May 2018, 9:22 pm

I don't know much about the course Kwini, other than 17, what sort of player does it suit?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 09 May 2018, 9:47 pm

super_realist wrote:I don't know much about the course Kwini, other than 17, what sort of player does it suit?

Fairways and greens, excellent course management, with a touch of good putting on "Bermuda".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 09 May 2018, 10:37 pm

Saw a clip on Sky Sports this ev ning where they were talking to Dustin Johnson. He agreed that you couldn’t just hit it long as you would just run out of fairway due to shape of fairways. So in effect not a “bombers “ course.

Last edited by I'm never wrong on Thu 10 May 2018, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 May 2018, 7:54 am

super_realist wrote:I don't know much about the course Kwini, other than 17, what sort of player does it suit?

Which petty, vindictive child would vote that post down?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 May 2018, 8:55 am

super_realist wrote:

Someone with the same mental age as my shoe size.

Great article as usual Kwini. Many thanks.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 May 2018, 12:34 pm

super_realist wrote:

It is so childish it's actually amusing. My money is on one of the Irish posters who is doing it.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 May 2018, 12:53 pm

Great article as usual kwini.

If this course favours the players with top course management, then surely Tiger has to be in with a shout. He's very good when he plays 2 iron or fairway wood off the tee. He's only won there twice.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 May 2018, 12:57 pm

I watched the final round on Sunday and thought Day did a great job, especially the way he recovered after his wobble mid-way through the back nine. He just seemed to find an extra gear when it mattered most.

We had the US commentary in the UK (CBS?) and it got a bit tedious listening to them going on and on about the driving distance on 16. Yes 380 yards is a very long way, but they seemed to ignore the fact the ball was landing on a downslope on hard and fast fairways.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 May 2018, 12:59 pm

I thought everyone knew this course as well as their home course having played it to death on Tiger woods PGA golf games?

Kwini

If 17 wasn't a part of setting the trend for normal courses to have water surrounding par 3's would it be such an abomination, which I agree it is. The green is a pretty massive target for a PGAT player but overall it is terrible design for handicap players.

I assume you are joking about a relegation in the Open's status, but I actually think it being the only noteworthy golf event of the whole summer might benefit its status.

Not sure if anyone on here listens to the new bbc sport golf podcast with Carter and Cotter but they had an interview with Mel Reid this week and some interesting/worrying discussions about the LET took place. It sounds almost doomed with only 14 (I think) events this season and players having to work part time to make up for lack of earning opportunities on the tour. It was also mentioned that the LET had been offered help from the LPGA and ET but has chosen to go its own way. Anyone have any thoughts on how it has come to this as I certainly hadn't realised what a mess it was in.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 10 May 2018, 1:22 pm

McLaren wrote:

I thought everyone knew this course as well as their home course having played it to death on Tiger woods PGA golf games?

I once started 2, 2. -5 after 2 holes Laugh Wasn't long before I was in the water though Doh

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 10 May 2018, 2:15 pm

We had the US commentary in the UK (CBS?) and it got a bit tedious listening to them going on and on about the driving distance on 16. Yes 380 yards is a very long way, but they seemed to ignore the fact the ball was landing on a downslope on hard and fast fairways.[/quote]

Yup, It was CBS.
They changed the 16th hole a few years ago - it formerly had a pretty level landing area off the tee, with bunkering strategically placed, then a downhill shot into the green. Now they seem to have a terrible driving hole, but a better shot into the green - trouble is that anyone with a decent drive only has a wedge to the flag. Drawing board? They're coming back to you. I hope.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 10 May 2018, 2:21 pm

Mac,
I don't care about the water but it seems gratuitously penal with a 2-shot penalty for a ball crossing land instead of a drop where the ball entered the drink.
Commentators (NBC) seem to find it highly amusing to see shots a fraction from being perfect dribbling into the pond, but I reckon it just makes a mockery of the game.

Scoring pretty good first thing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 10 May 2018, 3:47 pm

DJ Number One. So far anyway.

Good start for the Rosey & Poults show.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 10 May 2018, 3:50 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
43?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 10 May 2018, 4:33 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Good start for the Rosey & Poults show.

Kwini - you just did for Poults. Bogey Bogey! Sad Sad Sad

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 May 2018, 5:14 pm

I wouldn't like to see an island green on every course, very unoriginal to keep copying this hole. However, at Sawgrass it is a quirk which I enjoy. I think it's a good spectacle, especially with the crowds.

It's also good on the final day when the flag is right on the edge and players have a risk / reward decision to make.

Although it may be penal, the green is a big target. And for handicap golfers it plays 90-130 yards... if you're not capable of finding this target you really shouldn't be playing a championship layout.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 May 2018, 5:18 pm

pedro wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
43?
Hah. Good one. I'm thinking old-fashioned UK sizes - in this case, 10.5 to 11, depending on the shoes.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 May 2018, 5:21 pm

Re. TPC #17. It works only due to the context of the situation at The Players, but it's a pants design.

Ray

Good point re. mortals taking on a championship layout. Golfers not known for the realistic appraisals of their abilities though!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 10 May 2018, 6:53 pm

Looks like Keith Mitchell is making the most of his opportunity after Casey's withdrawal.  A very sporty 67 and well into the upper reaches of the leaderboard.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 10 May 2018, 7:10 pm

McLaren wrote:

Kwini

If 17 wasn't a part of setting the trend for normal courses to have water surrounding par 3's would it be such an abomination, which I agree it is. The green is a pretty massive target for a PGAT player but overall it is terrible design for handicap players.

I assume you are joking about a relegation in the Open's status, but I actually think it being the only noteworthy golf event of the whole summer might benefit its status.

Not sure if anyone on here listens to the new bbc sport golf podcast with Carter and Cotter but they had an interview with Mel Reid this week and some interesting/worrying discussions about the LET took place.  It sounds almost doomed with only 14 (I think) events this season and players having to work part time to make up for lack of earning opportunities on the tour.  It was also mentioned that the LET had been offered help from the LPGA and ET but has chosen to go its own way.  Anyone have any thoughts on how it has come to this as I certainly hadn't realised what a mess it was in.

I'm not sure if anyone is surprised by this Mac, it's never been a place where people have made a good living. It's hard enough getting the public interested in Men's Golf, so Women's Golf on a tinpot tour is/was never likely to be popular. Sounds very like the Europro Tour, an absolute racket of a tour, benefits 1 or 2 players and the people who organise it. The rest are either skint, or heavily subsidised by sponsors. Hard to tell if there is enough depth of talent, whether it is underfunded, or like the Europro, whether there are just too many pipe dreamers on that tour who simply don't deserve to make a living out of golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 10 May 2018, 10:16 pm

Can anyone explain WTF Mickelson is wearing? He looks as though he’s sneaked out of the office for a quick few holes after work, and playing rather like it too!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 11 May 2018, 8:24 am

LadyPutt wrote:Can anyone explain WTF Mickelson is wearing? He looks as though he’s sneaked out of the office for a quick few holes after work, and playing rather like it too!
He just came back from a meeting with his bookie..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 11 May 2018, 8:31 am

Just finished a shady insider dealing meeting before rushing to the course for his tee time?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 11 May 2018, 9:03 am

It looked like Phil got caught up in the whole Phil vs Tiger duel in the sand malarkey the media were pushing. That was some of the worst chipping I've ever seen by him.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2018, 11:51 am

Amazing that four such top players as Snedeker, Phil, Hideki and King Louis appear to have thrown in the towel yesterday.

Warm and dry today, perhaps a touch more breeze to spice it up a bit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 11 May 2018, 1:17 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Just finished a shady insider dealing meeting before rushing to the course for his tee time?
It turns out you’re spot on navy.. thumbsup thumbsup
https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/phil-very-comfortable-button-downed-shirt/

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 11 May 2018, 5:49 pm

I have had a small bet on this tournament. A small each way bet on Finau. It was him or Cantlay. Be annoyed if Cantlay wins.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 11 May 2018, 7:06 pm

"Ball Go Far" debate has been festering for years and years

Here is something from 1935.

1935 golf ball article:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 11 May 2018, 8:10 pm

Stay classy Ian

https://twitter.com/BigRandyNLU/status/995008021016272896

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2018, 8:12 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:I have had a small bet on this tournament. A small each way bet on Finau. It was him or Cantlay. Be annoyed if Cantlay wins.

Glad (for once) betting on golf here is more trouble than it's worth - would have taken a bath on Molinari!
Continentals looking promising.
GB&I struggling.
What's that all about?

Charl's form has taken a turn for the better these past couple of weeks after a terrible run. Hope he can keep it going.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 11 May 2018, 8:13 pm

What's the cut line? 60 and ties?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 11 May 2018, 8:18 pm

65 and ties I heard. Few beers and an anxious wait for Tiger. Lots of beers and an angst-free wait (I assume) for Lowry.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 11 May 2018, 8:27 pm

Cut is Top 70 and ties.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 11 May 2018, 9:02 pm

GPB wrote:Cut is Top 70 and ties.
Thanks GPB. Just wondering on the number of players who would be worried.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 11 May 2018, 9:10 pm

Thought I heard the 65 figure on Sky, but since they have McGinley and Roe on duty it was guaranteed to be wrong. Cheers GPB.

On the plus side they’ve just interviewed DeChambeau about his floating golf ball theory. Starting to think he’s on an elaborate windup. Entertaining though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2018, 9:52 pm

Not for nothing, but Webb Simpson's playing better this year than his final couple of seasons dropping anchor.
That doesn't prove anything pro or con, but perhaps "anchoring" was as much a mental crutch as anything.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 11 May 2018, 9:59 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
GPB wrote:Cut is Top 70 and ties.
Thanks GPB. Just wondering on the number of players who would be worried.

I don't think Mickelson is worried any more

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2018, 10:37 pm

Webb going crazy . . . . . . bet he wishes this was Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 May 2018, 10:38 pm

Splash!

Ooops.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2018, 2:09 pm

Wonderful Round 2 from webb.com, can he keep it up?

Fine weather again today but 10 - 20 mph breezes going on.

And: A further cut after Round 3: Top 70 and ties play Sunday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 12 May 2018, 6:55 pm

Just imagine if Rev Webb could still anchor. That would have been a 56. Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2018, 9:26 pm

Said Friday that Continentals were thriving, GB&I struggling.

That's changed Saturday apart from Rafa's 67 - Rahm, Garcia, Noren, Stenson collectively +12, and of those Henrik is even.

Nice from Fleetwood, and love how Poults plots his way round the course, chalk and cheese from when he almost gave up two years ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 May 2018, 9:35 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Said Friday that Continentals were thriving, GB&I struggling.

That's changed Saturday apart from Rafa's 67 - Rahm, Garcia, Noren, Stenson collectively +12, and of those Henrik is even.

Nice from Fleetwood, and love how Poults plots his way round the course, chalk and cheese from when he almost gave up two years ago.

That was dismal timing, sorry Poults.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 13 May 2018, 1:13 pm

The Tour had hoped to announce their 2018-19 schedule this week but have postponed it Which may be good for us here in Houston. Word among the media this week is the delay is because a couple of real options may have surfaced for Houston title sponsorship. And in a Golf Channel interview Monahan indicated that Houston really is a top priority in getting a sponsorship situation settled. And this time it sounded more than just lip service.

I'm hopeful, but we've been down this road a bunch of times in the last year only for it to come up empty. But from the little bits and pieces I can glean, it does sound a little more real with all this coming from a national level instead of just local level like in the past.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 May 2018, 2:12 pm

robo,

That sounds extremely positive, hope something comes to fruition. Keep working on it!

Another perfect day for golf, hopefully with just enough afternoon breeze to keep things interesting.
Interesting piece by Matty Fitz talking about greens that were slower than he expected, but seemingly rolled and double-cut on #17. Which is apparently why he 3-putted from 4 ft!

Action!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 13 May 2018, 3:01 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Interesting piece by Matty Fitz talking about greens that were slower than he expected, but seemingly rolled and double-cut on #17. Which is apparently why he 3-putted from 4 ft!
Interesting comments, but I'm not sure I'm buying Fitz's explanation/excuse. I heard a discussion some years back about the fact that number 17 is the firmest of all the greens, but for an entirely different reason.... Cumulative effects of foot traffic.  

The point made then was the green is relatively small and all the traffic around the green complex is on the actual putting surface.  On other holes players are playing out of bunkers or rough and have areas to stand around off the green. But on 17 everybody is standing on the green all the time because there's nowhere else to be. Plus the ball generally funnels to two main areas. The estimate I heard it the time suggested it added up to something like triple the traffic on a per/sq/ft basis.  Don't know if I entirely buy that or not, but I guess on some level it makes sense.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 May 2018, 3:08 pm

I'd buy some of that, the dark arts part probably being that the Tour is quite happy to keep it that way!

If "Houston" can be resolved, the 2019 calendar should be fairly settled then, but with several date changes to accommodate rescheduling of The Players, WGC-MatchPlay, PGA etc. And the likelihood that the DC event may head to Detroit. I'm guessing the Akron stop is toast?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 13 May 2018, 5:01 pm

Watching Featured Groups - is it a Nike pink/mauve day today again?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next