The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+20
George1507
Eyetoldyouso
1GrumpyGolfer
Roller_Coaster
Davie
Diggers
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
westisbest
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
JAS
pedro
beninho
dynamark
raycastleunited
wiretapper
McLaren
24 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed 23 May 2018, 1:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

kwinigolfer wrote:
McLaren wrote:Kwini

I reckon Harry has scored a double eagle.

She's a weird looking bird, more a bogey I'd say.

Kwini, you have very high standards. I seem to remember you thought Lexi was a bit of a minger.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2018, 6:52 pm

Brexit, what an effing farce. Can't see any way they'll get a deal done (which is of course what most Brexiteers want). Boris really is cnut of the very highest order.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Mon 09 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

super_realist wrote:Will England do a Tim Henman or an Andy Murray?
Either way, it feels a hell of a lot better than doing a Jeremy Bates.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 09 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm

[quote="Diggers" Boris really is cnut of the very highest order.[/quote]

You're getting another one of them this week Digs, imagine he'll try to find an excuse to see evoke Boris the Spider plus Farcage - just his level.
And looks like super & Mac are going to have to fork out $5M for his "security". Money poorly spent.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Jul 2018, 7:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Diggers wrote:  Boris really is cnut of the very highest order.

You're getting another one of them this week Digs, imagine he'll try to find an excuse to see evoke Boris the Spider plus Farcage - just his level.
And looks like super & Mac are going to have to fork out $5M for his "security". Money poorly spent.

Don't be silly Kwini...……...Mac doesn't earn enough to pay tax.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 10 Jul 2018, 8:58 pm

So basically France played well, but still needed a set piece then sat deep and invited pressure. Had a nippy forward who caused problems but didn't score. Sounds familiar.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2018, 7:54 am

Be fair Diggers, a lot of England's goals have been set pieces or penalties too. Let's not kid ourselves that England would have done any better. Belgium were fantastic for 70 minutes of that game.

Should be an interesting game tonight. England with an opposition who are actually better than them for the first time this tournament. (I know they played Belgium, but that was played like a second string friendly)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

That's exactly my point Super, they didn't do anything different. Belgium weren't that great, Lakuka had an absolute shocker. They basically had to go long ball as their main option. France more or less play like us, but have better players. I rate Mbappe massively but they were going way OTT on him in commentary last night. Pogba and Kante were better, so was the keeper.
I don't think they are better than us, I'd say it was bang on 50-50. I'm pretty nervous today.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 11 Jul 2018, 9:08 am

Diggers wrote:That's exactly my point Super, they didn't do anything different. Belgium weren't that great, Lakuka had an absolute shocker. They basically had to go long ball as their main option. France more or less play like us, but have better players. I rate Mbappe massively but they were going way OTT on him in commentary last night. Pogba and Kante were better, so was the keeper.
I don't think they are better than us, I'd say it was bang on 50-50. I'm pretty nervous today.
Disagree re. Mbappe. Lloris, Kante and Pogba had good games, but Mbappe was pretty unreal at times.
Thought the game last night was excellent and better team, just, came out on top. Hazard unlucky to be on losing side.

Thought I'd rather face France if we make final, but not so sure after watching them last night. Still, a final is exactly that, a final. One game, and any side that makes it there has a chance.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:16 am

I agree I thought Mbappe was excellent last night, Pogba also on top form. Kante is pretty much always on top form.

I think you will beat Croatia tonight. The looked dead on their feet after the pens (and before them) on Saturday and Vrsaljko will be a big loss, especially since Corluka looks likely to replace him.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 12:00 pm

Id be interested to look at Mbappe's stats, I also noticed that in the last 20 minutes all his pace was gone. I think everyone was wowed by that one run where he didn't actually get on the ball. Griezmann for me did far more last night to influence the game, was always looking for the ball, always involved. Like I say, the kid is class, lot of hyperbole last night from Murphy though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jul 2018, 12:43 pm

Newcastle open their season at home to Spurs. Wonder what sort of team Spurs will be able to put out - at least 9 of their current squad still involved in Russia until whenever they leave?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 11 Jul 2018, 12:54 pm

With the third place play-off no ones leaves now until after the weekend.

As someone pointed out to me, if England were to loose tonight the third place play off gives their reserves a chance to exact revenge on Belgium's reserves...

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 1:18 pm

Just to say...we are in the last 3 of the world cup...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jul 2018, 1:50 pm

Mbappe looked pretty good but like Digges said he did not influence the game like Giezman did.

I can't help but think that Rashford is equally good as Mbappe and that it would be clear for all to see if Mourinho hadn't turned into such a plonker. Imagine Rashford was given as much game time as Mbappe has been so far in his career, and I don't mean at left/right cover for the wide defenders. England could easily had a young player of Mbappe quality to add to an already good team

Is it Pogba who has the issues or is it Jose? Because Pogba has been one of the best midfielders in this WC.

Not sure I as watching the same game as super because Belgium were not good for 70 minutes, and barely made any impact in the second half. Pogba, Kante, Matuidi and Giezman got the better of Kevin, Witzel and Felleni. Hazard as the only productive Belgian in the second half and all he managed to do as give balls to a half-asleep Lukaku.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jul 2018, 2:11 pm

On the England vs Croatia match if walker and Maguire get repeatedly exposed against Perisic and Rebic it could get ugly. Not convinced by either of them against players of that quality. It might be unpopular but I'd be tempted to get cahill in the team. Unless Henderson somehow manages to stop Rakatic and Modric they will find passes to Perisic and Rebic inside Tripper or Young.  Anyone see a Maguire or Walker lunge inside the box under those circumstances?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jul 2018, 2:20 pm

Opinions opinions opinions.

I think Mbappe is world class, miles better than Rashford, he had a decent game yesterday but it was Greizmann who was causing the trouble when on the ball. He uses it so intelligently. But because Mbappe is so fast and skilful Belgium had to double up on him which created more space for others. If Giroud had quicker feet and more quality he could have scored a hat trick.

I don't think Lukaku had a poor game last night, he was just outshone by the France centre half pairing. Varane was outstanding in the 2014 World Cup, he's been one of the best defenders in the world for the last 4 years when fit, France's youngest ever captain a true leader on the pitch.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 11 Jul 2018, 2:26 pm

I'm pretty nervous about tonight. Modric and Rakitic are miles ahead of any of the England midfielders, but I think overall England have a better group of players. Southgate has the option of starting both Henderson and Dier to bolster the midfield and deny Modric and Rakitic the time and space to control the game. However I think he'll play the same team as against Sweden and try to keep Croatia on the back foot.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 2:57 pm

raycastleunited wrote:I'm pretty nervous about tonight. Modric and Rakitic are miles ahead of any of the England midfielders, but I think overall England have a better group of players. Southgate has the option of starting both Henderson and Dier to bolster the midfield and deny Modric and Rakitic the time and space to control the game. However I think he'll play the same team as against Sweden and try to keep Croatia on the back foot.

I think playing Dier would be a massive mistake. Our worst 20 minutes was when Henderson and Dier were on together. I'd much prefer Delph as an option, maybe instead of Alli, but I think that will happen later in the game. The question is will we have to keep them on the back foot, they have played so deep in the past 2 games that there would be no need for an extra midfielder and I struggle to see that their knocking on a bit midfield will suddenly be full of running. If we can keep it tight for a half (also try and start really fast) then I can see us winning it. Harry K is due a better game, didn't Lovren get dragged off after Kane gave him nightmares for a half last season? Also think we will see a different, more cocky Alli tonight, we shall see!
OK, prediction, 3 - 1 England.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 11 Jul 2018, 3:14 pm

Belgium changed their shape to accommodate playing Brazil, is there an argument to say England should change how they play to snuff out Rakatic and Modric?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 3:19 pm

The specific reason England went 3 at the back was that was the way Southgate could see us beating good teams. So I'd be surprised if he changed his mind now we are playing one.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jul 2018, 6:33 pm

Im so freaking nervous. We can win, Croatia are beatable. I'm so nervous! If wedid, id be less nervous against France, as I really think they are better then us. Anyway, Corluka 32? He got a Nigerian birth certificate?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 11 Jul 2018, 6:35 pm

France playing Kante virtually back 4/5 and he does so much damage further forward but they are sticking to the plan.
If we get there it is almost all prem game in the final which shows where the money is.
Nice 60 mil profit on Mahrez today for LCFC

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jul 2018, 6:41 pm

England HAVE to score first . . . . . . .

What do we know about the ref?
He's got a very dangerous name for this board: Cuneyt Cakir

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 7:49 pm

England did score first.
We know the ref is card shy, Lovren should have been in the book 3 times.
Squeaky bum time big style, but I think we've shown everyone we belong.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jul 2018, 7:56 pm

Im even.more nervous.

What fricking moron throws beer in the air!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 8:53 pm

This is why I don't watch big games on pubs, have an OCD about wet clothes. Fresh legs needed.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2018, 9:00 pm

Even the English must have loved the equaliser shooting an arrow through the wretched Clive Tyldsley. The worst commentator on earth.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2018, 9:38 pm

Hard luck Engerland. Good effort, possibly flattered by an easy draw but a massive improvement.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Jul 2018, 9:50 pm

Work in process, possibly slightly flattered by semi, but there's just something missing in midfield. Ridiculous for Kane to feel he's got to play so deep, wonder whether Vardy might have been introduced earlier?
Trippier looks done for a while.
Disappointing but great month's work.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

Gutted.
Still pleased to have made the semi, not many gave us a hope of that.
Anyone that thought rashford should start over sterling, were clearly wrong. Proven tonight.
Ref was poor.
Harry Kane shoukd have scored!!!

Gutted.
I never want England on Itv again. Do we ever play well?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm

I've said it for years that the ITV coverage is simply terrible. It's like it's been done on 10% the cost of anyone else.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:10 pm

super_realist wrote:Even the English must have loved the equaliser shooting an arrow through the wretched Clive Tyldsley. The worst commentator on earth.

Agree on Tyldsley. Can’t stand him.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:22 pm

Hey ho, a good ride while it lasted, better side won though I rue Kane's miss. Doesn't feel as bad as I thought it would, it's not like we've decided to leave the EU or anything...

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:29 pm

Trippier is good
Young is now done
We need another midfielder
Modric is superb

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:34 pm

Just saw a clip of Delia Alli crossing himself. What a man's appendage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:37 pm

Who is the bigger cok, man.who crosses himself or man that gets annoyed by said man crossing himself?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:41 pm

Where did you get that I was annoyed? I simply said I think he's an idiot.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:47 pm

We know. You dont hide it. I don't give a sh#t. I don't think many peope really do give a sh#t apart from you.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Wed 11 Jul 2018, 11:09 pm

Not the last we'll see from that bunch of players, they gave a good account of themselves, and I enjoyed watching them.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2018, 7:49 am

BtB, although I think they have improved, I think the degree to which they have thought to improve is under a degree of deception by an incredibly fortuitous draw and early exit from the big teams.

No doubt they've now got a realistic QF expectation, but not sure they're serious contenders unless they get similar fortune with the draw. Most likely this is true of Croatia too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:14 am

All in all, they can look back at some decent positives. I'd say over the long term Englands expectation levels should be around QF so to get to the SF they did get to punch above their weight. I think the initial lower expectation levels helped although with each knockout game the expectation seemed to rise exponentially. Don't think there was any blame or fault to be apportioned (as normally happens). They simply came up against a wily, decent, experienced  side who knew how to close it.

There was one odd WTF moment last night when the 2nd Croatia goal went in and the clown of a commentator said "...and England are behind for the first time in this World Cup"   Eh... Belgium game??

As for Croatia, when will they run out of gas? At half time I was thinking, the way the first half had gone and all the extra time Croatia had played in previous rounds that there was a real prospect of the roof falling in on them but no, they found another gear.

Thing I like most about Croatia though is that they nuke that most stupid of Scottish excuses for not doing well "Oh we're just a small country of 5 million" Yeah...Croatia, Population 4.2million, World Cup finalists!! So...Scottish 10 year olds, put the lager cans and the playstation controllers down and get out there...2030 world cup preparation starts here!!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:34 am

JAS wrote:All in all, they can look back at some decent positives. I'd say over the long term Englands expectation levels should be around QF so to get to the SF they did get to punch above their weight. I think the initial lower expectation levels helped although with each knockout game the expectation seemed to rise exponentially. Don't think there was any blame or fault to be apportioned (as normally happens). They simply came up against a wily, decent, experienced  side who knew how to close it.

There was one odd WTF moment last night when the 2nd Croatia goal went in and the clown of a commentator said "...and England are behind for the first time in this World Cup"   Eh... Belgium game??

As for Croatia, when will they run out of gas? At half time I was thinking, the way the first half had gone and all the extra time Croatia had played in previous rounds that there was a real prospect of the roof falling in on them but no, they found another gear.

Thing I like most about Croatia though is that they nuke that most stupid of Scottish excuses for not doing well "Oh we're just a small country of 5 million" Yeah...Croatia, Population 4.2million, World Cup finalists!! So...Scottish 10 year olds, put the lager cans and the playstation controllers down and get out there...2030 world cup preparation starts here!!!

That will be the Grade A Plank Clive Tyldsley. He simply can't mention anything without putting an English slant on it. Even games that didn't involve England, he managed to shoehorn in a reference somewhere to an English club or something like that.

I know ITV is the amateur end of sports coverage, but they can surely do better than having him as their lead commentator?

Jas, I totally agree Scotland don't have an excuse for being as bad as they are based on population. It's not just Croatia, but Sweden, Wales, Iceland, NI,  Denmark, Belgium, Portugal etc too who are also pretty small countries population wise and who all do much better, whilst large countries don't guarantee you'll be good (China, India, USA)
If Iceland can qualify for Euro's and World Cups, and Scotland get nowhere near, it's probably time to pack it in and focus on something else, the SFA are setting fire to all their money, bit like the SGU.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 12 Jul 2018, 9:30 am

Well done England, you did your country proud and fared better than anyone expected  clap

I still think you had the beating of Croatia but maybe the big game experience that some of the Croats had was the difference in the end.

And just a quick word on Scotland as I think there are some valid points regarding comparing us to Croatia (although it is more likely to be Bucky than lager, the ten year olds are drinking).

Those that control our game and have done for some time are self serving muppets who are in it for the foreign jollies and spend most of their time and energy on self preservation rather than trying to advance our game. And its no secret but nothing ever seems to changes. Ridiculous decision followed by ridiculous decision, each one putting us another few steps back.

There are additional reasons, for example I know quite a few Scots that actively dislike the Scottish football team and will cheer whoever they are playing, which doesn't help. In addition there are the usual socio-economic ones but they can be applied to most smallish countries and as Croatia - and to a lesser extent Uruguay - have proved it doesn't have to be a hindrance.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 12 Jul 2018, 11:02 am

McLaren wrote:Mbappe looked pretty good but like Digges said he did not influence the game like Giezman did.  

I can't help but think that Rashford is equally good as Mbappe and that it would be clear for all to see if Mourinho hadn't turned into such a plonker.  Imagine Rashford was given as much game time as Mbappe has been so far in his career, and I don't mean at left/right cover for the wide defenders.  England could easily had a young player of Mbappe quality to add to an already good team

Is it Pogba who has the issues or is it Jose?  Because Pogba has been one of the best midfielders in this WC.

Not sure I as watching the same game as super because Belgium were not good for 70 minutes, and barely made any impact in the second half.  Pogba, Kante, Matuidi and Giezman got the better of Kevin, Witzel and Felleni.  Hazard as the only productive Belgian in the second half and all he managed to do as give balls to a half-asleep Lukaku.
Sorted. Must be right.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 12 Jul 2018, 3:11 pm

I assume you that means you think my post is derision worthy? 

But do you really think the younger players who were making good progress like Rashford, martial, Pogba, Shaw, Darmian etc have got better under Jose?

Jesse is the possible exception.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2018, 6:09 pm

Rashford as good as Mbappe? Laugh Are you actually serious?, and to think you have the nerve to say I know nothing about football.

Rashford has done virtually nothing in this tournament.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

Very surprised that we faded physically and mentally and Croatia seemed to pick up.
Needed some sub action but Gareth was pretty cautious -trusting what he had on the pitch.
I'm over it worst things will happen in real life.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:49 pm

I'm not surprised at all. European players always seem to have superior fitness and mental edge to British players.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 12 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm

super_realist wrote:I'm not surprised at all. European  players always seem to have superior fitness and mental edge to British players.

That's bull, after they scored they grew in confidence and England got deeper and invited pressure. Croatia have a more experienced squad that play at the very highest level throughout Europe, they played better in the second half and ET and ultimately were the better team on the night. But I wouldn't go deeper into it than that. No need for the existential crisis just yet...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 13 Jul 2018, 8:04 am

So why is it that British players other than a select few never make it to the biggest clubs or the very top of the game?

Croatia, despite this being their THIRD extra time game on the trot looked FAR fitter than England did. The English back three especially looked very leaden footed, and Stones was especially slow to react to the goal pass and the midfield were also struggling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next