The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Training Squad

+31
Rugby Fan
Pie
Sharkey06
WELL-PAST-IT
screamingaddabs
BigGee
Collapse2005
TightHEAD
Gcass
Barney McGrew did it
Pete330v2
munkian
Mr Bounce
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
RDW
robbo277
kingelderfield
hugehandoff
BigTrevsbigmac
Taylorman
doctor_grey
yappysnap
propdavid_london
Geordie
Cumbrian
Welly
Gooseberry
BamBam
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
35 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

England Training Squad Empty England Training Squad

Post by LondonTiger Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 9:51

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/jones-names-england-training-squad/

Squad meets up this weekend (4th to 6th):

Backs
Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks), Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Cipriani (Gloucester Rugby), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Gabriel Ibitoye (Harlequins), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jordan Olowofela (Leicester Tigers), Dan Robson (Wasps), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Spencer (Saracens), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Forwards
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Northampton Saints), Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joel Kpoku (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Michael Rhodes (Saracens), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors), Will Spencer (Leicester Tigers), Elliott Stooke (Bath Rugby), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

Not considered for selection due to injury/ fitness/ other:
Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), George Kruis (Saracens), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Brad Shields (Wasps), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens).

Danny Care added to this list since I cut and pasted it from RFU site

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:11; edited 1 time in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England Training Squad Empty Re: England Training Squad

Post by LondonTiger Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:00

If we assume that those listed among the not considered are in contention that is a total of 57 names.

People not included who have featured in squads in the last 12 months (please let me know who I have missed):

Care
Smith
Boyce
Obano (long term injured)
Mercer
Graham
Mallinder
Yarde
Hill, Jonny
Earl
Woodward

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 12:06; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:10

Is Dan Cole injured? No Danny Care....interesting.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:13

Cole is in pre-season with Tigers and as far as I know is fit. I am guessing that he has to prove himself at Leicester first. Chances are good for a recall as Sinckler did not do enough to secure a starting spot in SA.

Care has since been added to the not considered list.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:19

If Kpoku and Ibitoye are both in, then I'm surprised Ben Curry isn't also selected

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:20

If Jones ever picked a team with Hartley, Farrell, Brown and Ashton, then that would be a full complement of England players opposition supporters love to hate.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 10:22

Rugby Fan wrote:If Jones ever picked a team with Hartley, Farrell, Brown and Ashton, then that would be a full complement of England players opposition supporters love to hate.

Not as much as England fans do.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:16

Cole is in the other category which is basically rested.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 11:48

It is an interesting squad, plenty of youngsters, some of them more surprising than others. I can't say that Kpoku impressed me all that much for the U20s, he is a unit for sure but I hope isn't soft as butter. The same goes for Stooke really, decent enough but with the quality of locks we have, does he stand a chance of getting a go?

To be fair to Ashton, he has played himself back in contention, he could have a useful player in the world cup if his indian summer continues.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 2 Aug 2018 - 20:43

Ok it's a training squad...just a mix of random players who the coaches will look at and give instruction s to the younger ones etc.

However what the hell is Nathan Hughes doing there. Is he even fit from injury? Is Eddie Jones determined to run that guy in to the ground!!??

He should have been left alone at Wasps to get fully recovered, find his too form again and get refreshed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 1:57

Daily Telegraph tips John Mitchell to be our next defence coach. It would be his second stint with England, after his time working with Woodward.

He looks a bit like Paul Gustard, so perhaps they Eddie is hoping players won't notice anything has changed.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 9:29

John Mitchell would be a good shout

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 9:36

To be fair to Eddie regarding Hughes, we don't have that many no.8s kicking around at the moment. Billy Vunipola is injured, Jack Clifford is permanently crocked and Simmonds is too small and IIRC Mercer is also injured

I worry that Billy might suffer the same problems as Manu (too big for his frame, increasingly injury prone) and we will have to learn to cope without him more and more.

We could really do with identifying 2 or three more young long term options because no. 8 seems a position of high attrition for England for some reason.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 9:43

I would prefer John Mitchell as forwards coach.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 9:58

Cumbrian -
I Think young James Chisholm could do a job there, carries very well into traffic. (listed as a flank in the current Quins squad)

Simmonds will work well if he has complimentary back rowers.

The Don Armand debate can continue
See also the Dave Ewers debate

Haskell back in the squad is a bit of a surprise for me.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 10:11

Yeah, as Prop says, id rather look at a few temporary alternatives - Chisholm, Ewers, Armand, Mark Wilson, anyone else etc etc.

Hughes has never reproduced his early Wasps career form in an England shirt...and certainly isn't going to do that when he's unfit and yoyo'ing between injured and recovering.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 10:12

Aye, I'm a fan of Chisholm, just checked is wiki, still only 22! seems to have been around for ages. Ewers never really got a fair shake for England, although some suggested he might be a bit slow. I haven't actually seen him play in a long while, so I can't recall. Don Armand's exclusion seems a bit of a mystery to me too.

The worrying thing looking around the premiership clubs is that no.8 seems to be a position largely occupied by NEQ players. I wish Ben Morgan could play himself back into contention. It is a position I will be keeping an eye on in the coming season.

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 10:14

LondonTiger wrote:I would prefer John Mitchell as forwards coach.

Completely agree...get the nasty back like the days of Johnno etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 10:20

Is Mercer injured? He's a different kind of 8, but definitely think he's one that should be in and around a squad like this

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 11:02

BamBam wrote:Is Mercer injured? He's a different kind of 8, but definitely think he's one that should be in and around a squad like this

No idea, but he was not named among the group not considered.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 14:44

Cumbrian wrote:...I worry that Billy might suffer the same problems as Manu (too big for his frame, increasingly injury prone)...

England's history with Pacific Islander heritage players is short, because they are primarily the offspring of players who came to Britain to play professional rugby. Consequently, the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions but it's noticeble Faletau isn't injured as much as Billy and Manu, and Pacific Islanders with NZ, Australia and France don't seem to be out for as long either.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 3 Aug 2018 - 23:01

Mitchell's been pretty poor and divisive as a coach at most of the club sides he's been at recently.

I hope he does better in a support role for England.

He's always come across as overly angry and confrontational, then usually loses the dressing room soon after.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 4 Aug 2018 - 13:20

Welly wrote: Cole is in the other category which is basically rested.

Rested from being rested.....interesting. Will we see Cole in an England jersey again?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 4 Aug 2018 - 14:13

Would be interesting to pair May and Ashton. Both are scorers, and playing them together would put pressure on the defense. Tracking May without the ball is hard enough because even he doesn't know where he is going. Tracking Ashton is not so hard, but takes his chances in the blink of an eye. The challenge is on the other side of the ball (which I think neither are so bad).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 4 Aug 2018 - 17:06

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Welly wrote: Cole is in the other category which is basically rested.

Rested from being rested.....interesting. Will we see Cole in an England jersey again?

As Sinckler failed to impress in SA we will, if the polar bear starts the season well. If he shows the form of the vac part of last season then no.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 4 Aug 2018 - 18:33

Rugby Fan wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:...I worry that Billy might suffer the same problems as Manu (too big for his frame, increasingly injury prone)...

England's history with Pacific Islander heritage players is short, because they are primarily the offspring of players who came to Britain to play professional rugby. Consequently, the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions but it's noticeble Faletau isn't injured as much as Billy and Manu, and Pacific Islanders with NZ, Australia and France don't seem to be out for as long either.

Yes can be very divisive, and interestingly it puts rugbys two biggest nomad coaches together, maybe theres something in that. One thing about Mitchells sides is they tending to be very open, attacking sides though I see most of that being down to Carlos Spencers abilities as attack coach, and hes at the Canes next tear.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 18:30

LondonTiger wrote:If we assume that those listed among the not considered are in contention that is a total of 57 names.

People not included who have featured in squads in the last 12 months (please let me know who I have missed):

Care
Smith
Boyce
Obano (long term injured)
Mercer
Graham
Mallinder
Yarde
Hill, Jonny
Earl
Woodward

Jack Willis who is out for the whole of this season.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 9:37

I saw that the Telegraph had an article on plans to limit the England players to 20 matches per season. The article was hidden behind their paywall so I was unable to read it. Anyone else care to share what it said? This potentially would be a very important breakthrough for England. Overplaying is clearly a problem.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 9:39

I am sure there would be huge compensation for the clubs if that was the case.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 10:59

Taylorman wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

Yes can be very divisive, and interestingly it puts rugbys two biggest nomad coaches together, maybe theres something in that. One thing about Mitchells sides is they tending to be very open, attacking sides though I see most of that being down to Carlos Spencers abilities as attack coach, and hes at the Canes next tear.

Jesus, Spencer coaching that Canes backline could be tasty

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 11:00

hugehandoff wrote:I saw that the Telegraph had an article on plans to limit the England players to 20 matches per season. The article was hidden behind their paywall so I was unable to read it. Anyone else care to share what it said? This potentially would be a very important breakthrough for England. Overplaying is clearly a problem.

Full article (not a subscriber Wink)

England's top players may play fewer than 20 games a season as rugby chiefs look to halt injury rise

Gavin Mairs, rugby news correspondent
4 AUGUST 2018 • 10:33PM

England’s leading players could play fewer than 20 matches each season for club and country in a bid to address mounting concerns about the rate of injuries.

Player welfare have been central to the ongoing discussions between the Premiership clubs and RFU in an attempt to find agreement over the number of domestic games that overlap with England’s Test matches.

RFU announced last month that is introducing a trial to lower the legal height of the tackle to the Championship Cup in the new season as part of a bid to address the injury rate.

Steve Brown, the RFU chief executive, has revealed the governing body is also making the case of reducing the workload on England’s top players, insisting it could be done despite the financial pressures facing the clubs and the union.

The governing body’s latest injury audit in March revealed that injuries in English rugby were increasing, both in terms of their frequency and severity.

The data - provided by the Professional Rugby Injury Surveillance Project (PRISP) – revealed that concussion is the most common injury, with 47 per cent of match injuries are linked to tackling.

“One of the theories that we are building at the moment that actually less is more,” said Brown.

“If you just take the international game in isolation. Commercially playing that few times a year actually generates more value that playing lots of time a year because scarcity does drive value, and drives the premium prices we are able to charge. Even now, we are still able to do that.

“We have two-and-a-half million people trying to buy a ticket for the autumn internationals. You have got that demand there. If that was 30 times a year you would probably lose value if you overdid it.

“There is something in that model that says less is more. If you talk about a player welfare issue, our commercial and player welfare ambitions can be aligned.”

Brown said the RFU was the injury data currently being collected could lead to a re-evaluation of the maximum number of games that an international is allowed to play each year, which currently stands at 32.

“When we look at stats, we currently have 32-game equivalents maximum for an international standard player,” Brown added. “Our guys are averaging about 20 at the moment, but even that might be too many. (It is) Particularly challenging in a Lions year.

“There is situation where we need to look collectively at how much rugby is played. But I actually think it is probably a group of about 50 players that do the most playing and we can probably name them all now and I think that is where we could get much more sophisticated with all the data that we now have.

“So it is less games or less games for that core of players. I have seen some stats that players are underplaying as well so if they are underplaying they are exposed to injury too and there are quite a number of players in that cohort.”

Brown also defended the RFU cost-cutting process, insisting it was necessary given the tough economic climate caused by uncertainty over Brexit and a changing landscape in broadcasting deals.

Brown confirmed this week that the RFU would be making at least 62 people redundant this month as part of a cost-cutting measure to save up to £3million per year.

“You talk about redundancies in the RFU, you see that everywhere at the moment,” Brown added. “But what we worry about is individual partners that we deal with are experiencing that pressure, whether it is Brexit or other things that are out there at the moment.

“There is quite a big change going on in the broadcast world in terms of how that is going to look going forward so we are just taking a view that is a sensible one so that we stay strong and well-off and comfortable and able to invest in the game continuously.

“We are taking a wider view of the economy which is partly Brexit-impacted but lots of other things as well. We are just looking about how much cash availability have people got to spend which what could be discretionary. Sometimes that is promotional stuff they do as a sponsor or a partner but also the people who come here and buy a box or entertain people, on match day or non-match day.

“We are just taking a cautious view of what that looks like. That is effected in the numbers that we are predicting at the moment which is why we are cutting back."

Brown seems slightly confused - as there is no way that the top players are currently averaging 20 match equivalents per season (ie 1600 minutes of rugby). 20 matches (or equivalents) does seem rather low - especially with 12 internationals this year, but something does need to be done.

While workload does need to be managed, the fact that more injuries occur in training than matches also needs to be looked at. The clubs have already reduced full contact training during the season to virtually nothing to keep players fit, and then see Eddie break them by disregarding this.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 11:46

Does this not then link in to ring fencing the prem.

You wouldn't mind losing your England players for longer (compensation allowing of course) and playing young academy kids if you had the security that you wouldn't risk relegation.
This can only benefit England also as more youngsters are produced and bloodied in competitive games.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 8 Aug 2018 - 11:50

LondonTiger wrote:

Brown seems slightly confused - as there is no way that the top players are currently averaging 20 match equivalents per season (ie 1600 minutes of rugby). 20 matches (or equivalents) does seem rather low - especially with 12 internationals this year, but something does need to be done.

While workload does need to be managed, the fact that more injuries occur in training than matches also needs to be looked at. The clubs have already reduced full contact training during the season to virtually nothing to keep players fit, and then see Eddie break them by disregarding this.

I agree with this...I think Eddie is completely mismanaging a lot of players. Nathan Hughes is a prime example.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 9 Aug 2018 - 6:27

A few quotes from a Times column on our new defence coach:

The Times said Jones' decision to go for Mitchell to bolster his defensive system is "casting his vote in the most unlikely direction".

"John Mitchell? Yes, that would be the same John Mitchell who has never had 'defence coach' as a job title. In fact, in his role as head coach of the Bulls during the recent Super Rugby season, he did run the defence and only one team in the competition, the Sunwolves, conceded more tries," noted rugby correspondent Owen Slot in a strong column.

"There is so much to question about this decision that you cannot but ask: is this really the best England could get? Mitchell has vast experience: he has been the head coach of the All Blacks and the United States. Yet one of the reasons he has this depth of experience is that he has job-hopped so fast, rarely staying for long.

If, or when, he takes this England job, it will be his 15th professional coaching job in six countries in 22 years. This is a CV that has long lost its shine."

The Times also dug up an interesting twist on Mitchell's previous England experience when he was forwards coach early in the tenure of Sir Clive Woodward's successful run as head coach.

"There is evidence to suggest that that team only really came together at the point that Mitchell left and was replaced by Andy Robinson. That was the suggestion that Woodward made in his book, Winning: 'Once he [Robinson] was on board, I believed winning the World Cup was a very real possibility'.

"Did the RFU ask Woodward about this? Or is it, actually, the case that Jones's opinion overrides the kind of due diligence that, for instance, turned the Stormers away from his man."

The Times pondered the dynamics of the two men: "The pair have never worked together before, and they are both alpha males. How quickly can they form a team? Furthermore, Mitchell has been a head coach since 2000, so how will he adapt to taking orders from someone else? Mitchell is a coach with a very firm view of how he wants things done, but what if Jones wants something different?"

This was from a Stuff article, which if you're not aware of them, are a news site that maaaassively like to go to town on anyone not AB's and seem to especially dislike England and Jones. They do make some good points though which are similar to my thoughts.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 9 Aug 2018 - 15:41

The RFU recently backed Jones, but also put him on notice. Who knows what they are actually thinking, but the impression you get is that another run of poor form, perhaps including the Autumn Internationals, will not be acceptable.

So, I question the wisdom of spending a large amount of money on such a controversial candidate. If the RFU ends up sacking Jones, then it's unlikely that they will want to hand the reins over to Mitchell, and even less that a new coach will want him on his team.

In the best case, Jones chooses all the right people to help him, but I don't think that can include anyone he asks for, when you are no longer sure if he has ability to do what you once thought.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 15:22

Rugby Fan wrote:The RFU recently backed Jones, but also put him on notice. Who knows what they are actually thinking, but the impression you get is that another run of poor form, perhaps including the Autumn Internationals, will not be acceptable.

So, I question the wisdom of spending a large amount of money on such a controversial candidate. If the RFU ends up sacking Jones, then it's unlikely that they will want to hand the reins over to Mitchell, and even less that a new coach will want him on his team.

In the best case, Jones chooses all the right people to help him, but I don't think that can include anyone he asks for, when you are no longer sure if he has ability to do what you once thought.
So, what are the RFU going to do if the results in the Autumn are not so good?  Get rid of their coach less than one year before the World Cup?  

On the other hand, there does seem to be a bit of, not sure the right words, a staleness or sameness about the players on this team which probably needs a minor shake-up to re-energise things.  Don't go bananas on me for saying this, but perhaps Ashton and Cipriani represent this for the backs, and who knows for the pack.  Just a Friday thought from far out........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 10 Aug 2018 - 17:41

doctor_grey wrote:So, what are the RFU going to do if the results in the Autumn are not so good?  Get rid of their coach less than one year before the World Cup?
That's what happened when Robinson was sacked, and Brian Ashton appointed. No idea if the RFU wants to repeat the trick. Ashton was already part of the England management team, so it was a question of asking him to step up, rather than starting a search.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 6:31

And that worked out poorly. Only reason it wasn't worse is because Ashton was lucky enough to have old hands lije Catt, Dayglo, Wilkinson etc all still around to carry the team.

Jeez if Mitchell got in charge of England we may as well give up. Trust the RFU to get the one kiwi coach who's Poopie.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 6:45

You never know as mentioned above Mitchell and Jones might spark some magic, however My reaction is that everything about such an appointment is fundamentally wrong. Why are we not able to create a premier/union coaching feeder programme like the Kiwis do?
Honestly Mitchell is a awful, desperate decision by Jones.
There are coaches in the premiership, could they not be used in a part-time capacity if they're not permanently available?
We need better longer term strategies.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 9:55

Apparently (?) its a done deal;

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12105369

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 11:33

kingelderfield wrote:You never know as mentioned above Mitchell and Jones might spark some magic, however My reaction is that everything about such an appointment is fundamentally wrong. Why are we not able to create a premier/union coaching feeder programme like the Kiwis do?
Honestly Mitchell is a awful, desperate decision by Jones.
There are coaches in the premiership, could they not be used in a part-time capacity if they're not permanently available?
We need better longer term strategies.
This drives me nuts. Very few English coaches, or even British coaches, in the Premiership. I think that is another failure in the relationship between the clubs and the RFU.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 11 Aug 2018 - 22:37

Rugby Fan wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:So, what are the RFU going to do if the results in the Autumn are not so good?  Get rid of their coach less than one year before the World Cup?
That's what happened when Robinson was sacked, and Brian Ashton appointed. No idea if the RFU wants to repeat the trick. Ashton was already part of the England management team, so it was a question of asking him to step up, rather than starting a search.

This got rubbished in the next post, but the Aussies also did it in 2014 with Cheika, although that was just before the Autumn series. He had a poor Autumn series, but won the Rugby Championship and got to the World Cup final in 2015.

Jones as well came in and won a Grand Slam in his first series in 2016 as well.

If we get rid of Jones after the Autumn, we don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. The players he's been bringing through who weren't involved in the last World Cup (Itoje and Daly being the main two, but also players like George, Sinckler, Curry, Te'o) will still be ready to be picked up by the next coach. If Jones isn't getting the best out of them, then let someone else have a go.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 12 Aug 2018 - 3:57

Perhaps what that shows is it's not the coach it's the environment.

Both Australia and England had the players, but the environment didn't get the best from them. Maybe a new person, a fresh start. Being more relaxed, or driven, or scared for your shirt if you've been complacent. That's what's needed. The actual guy in the coaches shirt is second to this.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 6:56

Been reported that it'll cost the RFU approx £500k to buy Mitchell out of his contract at the Bulls. Wtf.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 8:11

yappysnap wrote:Been reported that it'll cost the RFU approx £500k to buy Mitchell out of his contract at the Bulls. Wtf.
I'm not impressed with that. You certainly give your coaches the best resources you can, but the RFU have only just spoken about the possibility that Jones might not always enjoy their backing. Can't see the point of putting ourselves in a position where we might decide Jones has to go, and then having to pay out Mitchell too because no-one else wants to work with him. I can only imagine someone in the RFU genuinely does think Mitchell could step in to replace Jones if that scenario does come about, which seems wrong-headed to me.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 10:34; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 8:28

How long is Mitchell's contract? 12 months to 2019? 3 years until the end of Eddie's tenure? It's a lot to pay for someone who is getting extremely mixed reviews in the press and probably won't last all that long. Happy to be proved wrong on that one.

I thought the RFU were in a bit of financial bother as well, revising down forecasts because of the uncertain climate and laying off staff. Now they're spending £500k on a defence coach who has never held that title before. Seems a bit desperate.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 9:53

Its farcical. And it shows that people in the RFU have no clue!

English / British coaches first please! Who are competent in the actual role they're coaching!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 10:59

£500k? Really? That would be nuts. Really nuts.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 15:09

I am sure the 50 people being made redundant are chuffed with how the savings are being spent

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 13 Aug 2018 - 17:28

Oh them? They don't matter. We are talking about THE John Mitchell.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next