The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
super_realist
McLaren
Diggers
NedB-H
beninho
GPB
Shotrock
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
I'm never wrong
pedro
raycastleunited
kwinigolfer
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 06 Sep 2018, 3:45 pm

1).Round 3 of the FedEx Play-Offs gets underway shortly with the BMW Championship at Aronimink GC in the Philadelphia area, a Donald Ross design that's been tweaked in the years, most recently by Gil Hanse a few years ago. Aronimink will also host the 2027 PGA Championship, a return visit 65 years after Gary Player won the PGA.
Aronimink also hosted the 2010 & 2011 AT&T National (won by Justin Rose & Nick Watney respectively) so a few of this week's competitors have at least a couple of rounds of course experience; Leishman, Jason Day, Snedeker, Chas Howell, Scott, Kirk, Simpson and Cantlay all with top 25 finishes, Rose twice.

2).I'm sure Shotrock will offer on-the-spot observations and his account of course set-up/conditions last week was very interesting.
Further to the broken record about course set-ups favouring the bombers, the only clarification I would add is that the Tour presumably makes a decision about how the course would play in certain conditions.
Perhaps one day it will specify conditions that, regardless of weather, will favour accuracy. Otherwise, the Koepka mantra of "I'll back my wedge from the rough against someone with a 6-iron in the fairway" will prevail every time. No problem with that (from the rough), but perhaps conditions (creeks, trees, heather/gorse, deeper sand traps) off the fairway might be a little more penal.

3).Daniel Berger is just 12 months removed from Presidents Cup play - only one Top Ten (a conditions-aided 6th at Shinnecock) since then and now he's turning down this week's guaranteed money and shutting it down for a while with wrist problems. Not my favourite pro, but hope he's back fit and back to form soon.

4).Charley Hoffman's Top Ten-less year continued at TPC Boston leaving Phil Mickelson as the only golfer to play all 12 BMW Championships in the FedEx Play-Offs.

5).I'm still not sure how Thomas Bjorn managed to rationalise excluding Rafa from his chosen few - reckon that's a disastrous decision. Wonder if he felt he could not choose Sergio over Henrik (or vice versa) and so chose both? They both owe Bjorn big time.

6).While we weren't paying attention a few "notables" from days gone by have already earned enough in web.com Finals events including Tour winners Streb, Malnati, Mahan, Matt Jones plus another Aussie Open winner in Cameron Davis. The WTF's take this week off and resume next Thursday.

7).Who do you fancy at Aronimink? No doubt Justin Rose will be pleased to return to a happy hunting ground, but I wonder if Paul Casey might feel he has something to prove? He has a strong career record in the Play-Offs and earns my half crown e.w..
Looking forward to the action and hope Shotrock can offer some insight from inside the ropes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by raycastleunited Thu 06 Sep 2018, 5:10 pm

It's a bit ironic that the tour is desperate the play offs create a climactic finale to the season, yet here we are at the penultimate play off event and there's little suspense at the top of the rankings. Bryson can't improve his position and can't be caught (you can't say he has nothing to play for.... $1.6m is a nice winning cheque).

For me, all the interest is at the bottom, where again it would ironic if Cabrera Bello progresses at the expense of Stenson or Poulter. Similarly if Tiger drops out while Na, Cantlay, Stanley or similar push on to East Lake.

Hope Ironimink proves an interesting course.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beemer in Philadelphia: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Thu 06 Sep 2018, 6:48 pm

The Tiger Tracker has gone bananas..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Sep 2018, 7:35 pm

McIlroy -9
Woods -8

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 06 Sep 2018, 9:54 pm

I’m over in the USA at the moment. I am going to meet Shotrock on Sunday morning so I can watch the final day.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 1:19 am

Very cool, INW. Hope you have a great time

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:43 am

I'm never wrong wrote:I’m over in the USA at the moment. I am going to meet Shotrock on Sunday morning so I can watch the final day.
Should be a great opportunity to watch the players up close since most people will be flocking around Woods.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:21 am

Hope so. Bit concerned they are starting at 7am local time today due to forecast of bad weather later. If they repeat that on Sunday I am going to have to get up at silly o’clock to get there.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

Could be a spot of rain on Sunday, Inw, take your wellies and something rain-proof (not 2010 US RC vintage though).

No complaints about the form of Europe's Ryder Cuppers yesterday, especially good to see Rahm, Noren & Stenson having decent rounds after patchy form the past month (or more).

Schauffele playing well enough to give Furyk something to think about and Horschel hoping to get into Furyk's team via the Billy Horschel rule!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:40 am

I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more Rich Beem content in the OP. I mean, I know he's there I heard him commentate on the tellybox last night.

Also glad to see Rory having one of spurts and I am sure it has got everything to do the upcoming Ryder cup and nothing to do with a potential $10million bonus, no siree.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 07 Sep 2018, 12:38 pm

Day one in the books. Lots of excitement with Rory and Tiger both now matching the course record. (And for the record, it's playing longer than when set by Nick Watney.) Look for more of the same today but I suspect more challenging pin positions over the weekend. My guess is that it goes to 18 under +. Starting early (now) today given the weather forecast. Unsettled weekend, so who knows what those times will be. For those that care about the course itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWcGkDhthLc

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 1:11 pm

wiretapper wrote:I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more Rich Beem content in the OP. I mean, I know he's there I heard him commentate on the tellybox last night.

Also glad to see Rory having one of spurts and I am sure it has got everything to do the upcoming Ryder cup and nothing to do with a potential $10million bonus, no siree.

wire,
I thought of that - your gain is our loss; both CBS and NBC over here seem to experiment with younger commentators occasionally but revert to the geriatrica. Beemer is a breath of fresh air.

Schauffele still going well . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 3:29 pm

Rory's putter has gone cold . . . . . brrrrrr

Promising signs from Frankie & Tommy though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 4:39 pm

Now then!
Matching 64's for Finau & Schauffele - it won't happen for Round 3, but what a pairing it would be for Round 4??!!

Tommy gunning through the field; only 6 players over par (70).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 07 Sep 2018, 4:43 pm

Nice to see Finau and Schauffele showing Furyk that they want to be picked.

Actions should speak louder than words.

Kisner can make plans to attend the Tenn/Georgia football game on Sept 29.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:26 pm

Hatton out with Bunsen Bryson on Saturday, quite an expressive pair.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Sep 2018, 11:53 am

Quite apart from the money involved in qualifying for the East Lake Tour Championship, there is also the perk of qualifying for the 2019 Majors.
And that becomes a big deal for those who are at risk of not qualifying via the owgr Top 50.

A handful have already played well enough in the Play-Offs to benefit in this way: Horschel, Cam Smith, Wise are three so far, arguably one or two more.

The anal "real time projections" during play is pretty nonsensical, commentators still seemingly unable to comprehend the stroke-by-stroke ramifications of events elsewhere on the course.

But, halfway thru the BMW action, Schauffele leads the three golfers projected to jump into the Top 30, followed by Noren (very tenuous) and Bradley (even tenuouser).
Spieth, Grillo and Leishman are the ones currently holding the short straws, only money at stake for Spieth & Leish but a big deal probably for Grillo who sits just outside the owgr Top 50.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 08 Sep 2018, 1:52 pm

Off to Shotrockville for a couple of days. Enjoy the golf Inw, Sr.

Wouldn't it be a great tournament for Alex Noren to make his winning breakthrough . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Sep 2018, 2:03 pm

A lot more than money meets the eye should be at stake for Spieth that no one in the media wants to talk about.

Spieth HAS NOT met the new event obligation requirement for the 2017-18 season. One of the loopholes of that obligation is to play 25 events in a season. Including the Ryder Cup later this month, this is Spieth's 24th event, so Spieth needs to play the Tour Champ to get to 25 events.

PGATour Handbook (pg 157) wrote:Major Penalties
A major penalty is a fine in excess of $20,000, suspension from
tournament play for more than three tournaments and/or permanent
disbarment from play in PGA TOUR cosponsored or coordinated
events. For violations of the PGA TOUR Anti-Doping Program related
to Drugs of Abuse, an approved plan of treatment and rehabilitation to
be conducted at the player’s expense, in addition to or in lieu of other
penalties may be imposed. A major penalty may be imposed only by the
Commissioner except as otherwise specified in these Regulations.

The new event obligation is on page 129 of the PGATour handbook

https://qualifying.pgatourhq.com/static-assets/uploads/2017-18_pga_tour_handbookregs_final.pdf

(this ought to keep you occupied for awhile)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Sep 2018, 4:41 pm

Seen on the Euro Tour this week

Spoiler:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

I'm guessing if spieth does only get 24 appearances, he will get a behind closed doors slap on the wrist and told to be careful next time.

If someonr wins this week and the tour final would they beat bdc to to big crown?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:13 pm

Short Answer:  YES (for just about everyone in contention this week*)

Longer answer

The points are reset going into the Tour Champ.

Depending on how the stars align, anyone in the Top 30 can win the FEDEX title, but anyone in the Top 5 going after the reset WILL win the FEDEX if they win the Tour Championship.

Anyone outside the Top 5 can win the FEDEX depending on how the Top 5 players finish.

Longest answer:  FEDEX scenarios will be outlined in detail next week.

* Xander is projected to be 6th in the FEX if he wins this week. If he is 6th going into next week, he would have to win the TC and DeChambeau finish worse than 2nd to win the FEDEX.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:22 am

GPB wrote:Seen on the Euro Tour this week

Spoiler:
That’s excellent. Daniel and Chase I presume?

Re Spieth, it probably won’t matter to him anyway. I can’t tell whether it’s an either/or, or if he gets both a fine and a suspension. But $20k is nothing when he’s earned $2.75mil prize money this season alone, in his worst year on tour to date. And he can pass a suspension out in comfort in the fall: The HSBC is the only tour event he’s ever played in, in his whole career, between the Tour Championship and Hawaii. And he hasn’t even turned up there since 2015. He’s probably more annoyed he’s looking like missing Kapalua.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Sep 2018, 2:17 am

Optics would be bad for the All American Golden Boy if he gets a major penalty.

Agree, a 5 figure fine would be trivial to him

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 09 Sep 2018, 2:07 pm

Well that was a bit disappointing. Left the hotel at 05.30 this morning to get to the shuttle parking area, only to be told nothing happening until 08.30. Later told earliest start could be noon, and there will be an update at 10.00 local time. In a way I wouldn't mind if it goes to Monday, as I don't have to travel too far. So back to the hotel for some breakfast and surfing the internet until 10.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Sep 2018, 5:14 pm

FWIW, Spieth is also Chairman of the Players Advisory Council. Even worse Optics.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 09 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

Cancelled for today. Decision later as to whether to go for Monday or not. If they don't and declare it over after 54 holes, would Rose get all the money and OGWR points, or just a proportion?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 09 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

As far as I can see the rain will continue all night and morning?
If the wet course, rather than the rain itself, is the problem, they might as well cut the tourney to 3 rounds.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 09 Sep 2018, 7:52 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Cancelled for today. Decision later as to whether to go for Monday or not. If they don't and declare it over after 54 holes, would Rose get all the money and OGWR points, or just a proportion?

I'm 99% sure Rosey would get the full boat: money, FedEx points, owgr points, Amanda Dufner (as was), the lot, making Schauffele's 3-putt on 18 in Round 3 all the more costly.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 09 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

Sub air on the greens and bunkers drain well .... but it’s been raining for about 20 hours (with almost no end in sight) so it’s saturated. They say they will play tomorrow but I would be surprised if they do so. Hope I’m wrong. Nice to see Rose win, however, if they do bail.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 09 Sep 2018, 10:59 pm

Of course Spieth should be suspended. (Whether he will is another issue.) Planning to fulfill your tournament obligation only by making the TC is way too cocky imo. What kind of signal would that send to the 2nd drawer players or  double dippers?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:53 am

This is funny.

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/1038920896055074817

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:01 am

KJ Choi announced on Instagram that he has thyroid cancer undergone successful surgery for a growth.

Hope Oddjob is responding well to his treatments. Always enjoyed watching him when he was playing well.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2018, 12:55 pm

Action at Aronimink. For how long? It'll probably take about seven hours to complete the round, if they get a move on.

But Casey's not having it, w/d due to "back pain", hardly music to Bjorn's ears.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2018, 3:53 pm

Timely that Billy Horschel has just joined the lead . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 10 Sep 2018, 7:12 pm

Justin and Keegan proving that brain farts on the 18th are not just the property of BCD. Hopefully Rose can drain the putt.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2018, 7:17 pm

The man from 'ook against the man from Woodstock.

(And Jordan Spieth gets a couple of weeks off.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

Wow, double choke from Rose. Didn’t see that coming.

But new world no. 1.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Sep 2018, 9:12 pm

Spieth is in violation of the "must play a new event" obligation. Many in the media (twitter) are opining that he is just going to get a slap on the wrist.

That would be a bad precedent to set. I think they need to come down hard on Spieth. If he gets a 25K fine (or similar) what is to stop players like Rory and Stenson from saying...screw it....if all I am going to get is some minor fine, I am going to play the tournaments that I want to play.

I like Spieth, and if anything, he needs to be penalized for being c0cky and arrogant for thinking he would cruise to the Tour Championship. And another penalty for being a DUMB@$$. The policy was directed at World Class Elite Players and if all they are going to do is get a slap on the wrist, then they need to get rid of the policy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Sep 2018, 9:40 pm

The ET has its Lex Rory. Of course the PGAT will have its Lex Spieth.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2018, 9:48 pm

I'd make him play TWO extra events next year, instead of just the requirement of one. Fines are meaningless.

Happy for Keegan Bradley; he's kinda remade himself - no anchoring, no spitting, no Pepsi and he's even playing less slowly. Wonderful driver . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 10 Sep 2018, 9:56 pm

Well here is my report. After a days waiting in my hotel on Sunday for nothing to happen, it was up early to drive to a parking lot to catch a bus to the course. One of those US school buses. Got to the course just as Poulter was completing the 10th hole so I followed him for several holes. He wasn't setting the world on fire, so when I met the McIlroy/Rose/Schauffele group coming the other way, I followed them. McIlroy could not hole a putt. If he could, he would win tournaments by miles. He looks so natural. Thought Rose would get it by being steady. Hey ho. I have to say that Aronimink is a fabulous course, the best I have seen. It must be fantastic to play. Lots of changes in elevation. Apparently it is much cheaper than similar New York or California courses, but I don't know what it actually costs. They also only have 350 playing members. I just hope they can get the spectator walkways and infrastructure areas back to normal, because in some places it became a swamp. The infrastructure itself was very good; a number of scoreboards - not as many as I thought there would be; plenty of "restrooms" of the portable variety (but still clean), and means of following players made easy. Biggest crowds were obviously for Tiger, then the Rose group, then Rickie, then Jordan. I was the only person following Poulters group. My thanks to Shotrock for sorting my access out, and apologies to him for not being able to meet up - down to me. All in all, a good day, if a bit wet. Course held up well.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2018, 10:12 pm

Glad you made it, Inw.
The course looked terrific on TV. Rory's strokes gained putting today was almost -3; which is obviously a lot!

And, if Shotrock is watching, I went to the T & the C on Saturday evening. Very nice!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 10 Sep 2018, 10:44 pm

Finau goes to Paris after another Top Ten.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 10 Sep 2018, 11:15 pm

I’m a lot more comfortable seeing Finau lining up than I would’ve been with Schauffele or Zach. Think that’s a minority view though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 10 Sep 2018, 11:39 pm

I assume we’ll trick up the course to counter all the fire power they come with. That includes growing the rough and narrowing the fairways. Slowing the greens will probably also be to our advantage.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 11 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

Well, too bad Rose didn't win this thing. I would never have guessed he would go bogey/bogey on 18. A real favorite at the club and in the area. Perhaps he cursed himself when he joined Merion?

Hats off to John Gosselin and his staff for making this course playable. No small feat.

Unfortunate I did not meet up with INW. Client entertainment in the afternoon and caddy work in the morning kept me busy. Interesting stuff from the caddy area: Fluff showed up each morning. Kevin Na's caddy is one outspoken guy! One caddy said he could not wait to get back to his children and not the child he works for. Ouch. By and large, really decent group of guys who spend massive amounts of time doing pretty much nothing.

INW also right that if Rory rolled the ball just a bit better, he would have run away with this thing. Surprised, too, that Tiger drove it so well. Think Schauffele would have been better for the US squad. One of my buddies is going to the Ryder Cup and he chatted with Ian Poulter a bit. Told Ian he looked forward to seeing him there. Ian's response: "you bet your a**!" Gotta love that.

Kwin - What's T & C?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

With the change in the projected course of Hurricane Florence, and the copious amounts of rainfall likely, I imagine the PGA Tour is casting a wary eye as the storm moves closer to the US with Atlanta among the cities that might come into play if Flo moves inland on a more southerly trajectory.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 12 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm

A couple (OK, three) of nuggets from Doug Ferguson this week:
1).Still no word from the Tour as to Spieth's penalty for not playing a "new" event, but clear suggestions that he'll forego overseas travel this autumn as he's getting married, but will likely add at least a couple of the US "fall" schedule - still think adding two "new" events is a fair way to deal with this, especially as he missed a few winter weeks this year.

2).Rory's found a "new" event, the Tournament Of Champions! Makes perfect sense (though don't mention that to his mate Shane).

3).Common sense change to the International Presidents Cup Team selection process; instead of taking the top guys (eight in 2017) from the owgr's, they're modifying the start date for qualification, very much like the Euro "World Points". In this case it seems the Dell event in Boston is the starting line.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 12 Sep 2018, 4:51 pm

Tadd Fujikawa, of 15 year old in the US Open fame, has come out as gay. Not a main tour player, he’s spent a decade on the mini tours and is further away from even the Web.com than ever, but still I think he’s the first male pro to come out, so a big step.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next