The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+7
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
chichestersurreyfan
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
James100
jimbobgooner
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 09 Sep 2018, 2:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surrey have named a 13-man squad for the Specsavers County Championship match with Worcestershire, starting at New Road on Monday 10 September.
All twelve of the squad that featured in last week’s win at Essex – after Ollie Pope was called up by England and replaced by Ryan Patel – are again in this squad.
They are joined by Jade Dernbach who has recovered from a groin injury picked up in the August victory over Lancashire. Smile
Jason Roy is still unavailable Rolling Eyes
There is no place in the squad for Gareth Batty, Arun Harinath, Stuart Meaker or Jamie Smith.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (captain)
Rikki Clarke
Tom Curran
Jade Dernbach
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Conor McKerr
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
For me Dernbach for McKerr would be the only change from the team that started against Essex.
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 13 Sep 2018, 6:08 pm

Mat wrote:Congratulations chaps, a thoroughly deserved title win and good to see you doing it with a majority of the side being young, home grown talent complimented with a couple of astute, experienced signings. Hopefully we will see Burns make the step up to international level, got down to New Road today and I was impressed with him.

As for Worcs, tale of the season in one game really. Got ourselves into a promising position on a couple of times only to let our grip slip on the game. Batting has been too fragile for large parts of the season although moving Tom Fell up the order in recent games does seem to have solved one isssue.

I imagine this might mean the end of Joe Clarke’s time at New Road with our division 1 status precarious to say the least! Onwards and upwards to final day, and again many congratulations folks!
thumbsup Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP - Page 3 Empty Re: SURREY VS WORCESTERSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2018, 6:36 pm

Yep, thanks, Mat. No consolation to you but Worcs along with Lancs have so far proved our toughest competitors this season - and both seemingly headed to Division Two. Strange.

To make matters worse, your guy on radio comms (? Dave Bradley) said Clarke's contract was up this season and gave little encouragement that a new one would be signed.

As for this game, you folded a bit too quickly yesterday as Afro said. Also, you really needed at least one Surrey wicket last night - I felt then that failing to get that gave us the upper hand.

Good luck from here!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

Magnificent win for surrey in this game - and what a glorious season. But when taking this victory into account I go back to read this article after the promotion to division one a few seasons back - http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/938759/to-hell-and-back

So much of the groundwork has been laid for this team by players and people who have played little part (like Batty) or have left (like Sanga and Ford) - to turn the club around from what it was after the (shudder) Adams era, to what it is now on the pitch has been nothing short of remarkable, and I think it’s right to note this. Also read that article, it is brilliantly written.

Sorry to the Worcs contingent - would actually have liked you to pickup the win here as i really want to see you stay up, but unfortunately it seems this game as Mat says has been a microcosm of your season.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

Thanks, Olly. I've read it before but well worth doing so again - it is a superb article and, as you say, brilliantly written.

It is absolutely right to pay tribute to not just those who have been in the limelight this season but also those who paved the way when we were in a bad place in so many ways. I was particularly pleased to see the praise for Gary Wilson - he's a top bloke whose contribution deserves greater recognition.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 13 Sep 2018, 8:24 pm

Just seen this tweet.
''Congrats to everyone involved @SurreyCricket @StewieCricket @roryburns17 a great club and worthy champions!''.
From Gary Wilson. Top, top man.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 13 Sep 2018, 8:44 pm

Congrats on the title win guys! Smile

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 13 Sep 2018, 8:50 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on the title win guys! Smile

Thanks Jimbo - all we need now is for Hammers to somehow take at least one point.

Bit of a mixed season for Hants, but they look like ending up in a pretty solid mid table position after some distinctly difficult moments at various stages of the season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 13 Sep 2018, 11:46 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
jimbohammers wrote:Congrats on the title win guys! Smile

Thanks Jimbo - all we need now is for Hammers to somehow take at least one point.  

Bit of a mixed season for Hants, but they look like ending up in a pretty solid mid table position after some distinctly difficult moments at various stages of the season.

This Sunday Corp, i can feel it... Mind you i said that about the Wolves game Rolling Eyes Laugh

A strange season for Hants, potentially finishing 3rd and winning a One Day Cup certainly looks better than it could (should) have been. Slightly papers over the cracks in my opinion.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 14 Sep 2018, 1:19 am

That video of jade filling up had me in tears Cry Cry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 14 Sep 2018, 9:01 am

I was looking through Surrey's cc results for the season.  Apart from one high scoring bore draw against Worcs early in the season, the record is of pretty much unbroken achievement.  There was a good selection of games where Surrey were well on top from early on and then obliterated the opposition.  But, in some ways more impressive was the way they dug deep to get results in all four games when they were in real danger of losing.

There was the early season second innings away against Lancs when they batted for 90 overs to get the draw.  Then there were three games where Surrey had to come from behind to win after conceding a first innings lead: the outstanding victory away to Yorks when Surrey had by far the worst of the weather conditions; the recent tense, narrow victory over Lancs; and the latest match against Worcs. clap clap clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3