The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September

+15
Stone Motif
funnyExiledScot
Brendan
Anglobraveheart
TJ
Eejit
bsando
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
IanBru
George Carlin
Luckless Pedestrian
jimbopip
RiscaGame
BigGee
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September - Page 2 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September

Post by BigGee Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow Warriors V Dragons
Scotstoun Stadium
Saturday 29th September
KO 19.35

Live on Premier Sports

Well the wheels came off Glasgow's good start to the season with a vengeance last weekend in Port Elizabeth and the theme coming out of the camp now that they are back in the UK is one of redemption.

Mike Blair has been in the media stating that some players will get that chance and others will not and it was indeed such a poor showing, the worst that I have seen the Warriors put on for many years, that you do wonder if some of those players may get another chance too prove themselves at all under the current coaching set up. Glasgow have set high standards over the years and so a performance like that is not going to be taken lightly.

So we are expecting a bit of a backlash against a side that have not been known for travelling well, but then again, we thought the same about the Kings playing at home!

Truth is, we really don't know what to expect, both in terms of selection and what the performance might bring.

Several players did not play well and some combinations did not work.

Pete Horne surely can't play FH again, but Hastings, who did play well when he came on, has been involved in every game so far and will surely have to be rested this week or next before the Euro games. Maybe we will see Thompson or Jacko stepping up to the FH spot. We certainly need to try someone else.

The centres did not function either, especially in defence. Surely we see Dunbar back in at 12 or maybe one of Kelly or McDowell getting a chance, both have looked decent when given an opportunity.

in the back three, Nairn surely deserves another chance and Nico will be champing at the bit to get on the pitch. Maybe Rory Hughes comes in at FB if Jacko was to step up to FH.

In the pack Kebble will come back in at LH and Alex Allen, another who did not disgrace himself in SA, will back him up. Bhatti has probably slipped down the pecking order after his game. D'Arcy Rae similarly put in a decent shift and will likely start, but I would like to see Nicol on the bench to see what he can bring. He looked a very decent junior and we also know that Byrce is not a good TH. I would be happy for Turner to have a week on the naughty step but am aware that we can't play Frazer Brown every week. Maybe Grant Stewart will step up from the academy again.

JG will come back into the second row but who to partner him. Peterson did nothing last week and suffered the ignominy of being hooked before half time. That may well be the last chance saloon for him. I think we might see Rob Harley spending a bit more time in the Row until some of the others get back, maybe Davidson to bench this time.

In the back row the two Matts, Fagerson and Smith have hardly been seen this season, through injury and selection (Matt Smith did not help himself by getting sent off in a club game). Wilson and Cully are likely to feature. Adam Ashe was another who did not turn up last week and the new American signing has been given a bit of media time as well, often a sign that they are going to play. He might be a decent option off the bench.

More questions than answers for Glasgow.

For Dragons, it may not be a bad time to come up north, with all this introspection going on. They will still be on a hiding to nothing but will they load their team for a match they would not really have fancied that much before last weekend. We will see on Friday when the teams are out.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September

Post by George Carlin Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks Jim. Any whispers from Scotstoun about what we are doing to address our tighthead crisis?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Dragons Saturday 29th September

Post by BigGee Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31 am

In the cold light of day, it was very much a 'what the doctor ordered' kind of performance from the Warriors. The doctor in this case being DR and his orders were to rein in the flamboyance and wear the opposition down. They needed a bit of a reminder about this at half time clearly, but by the second half, they seemed to have got the drift. The conditions helped that clearly as the wind meant it was not a half for kicking the ball.

The pack was good and some kudos needs to be given to D'arcy Rae, who held up the scrum very well, as he has been doing all season in fact and was carrying well. This may be his opportunity to come into the limelight with the injury situation and so far he is passing the tests, albeit he has not come up against a monster pack who are going to really challenge him yet. Nicol finally got a cameo at the end f the game, but we did not see enough of him to make any kind of judgement.

The Harley JG combo worked well in the row and Davidson carried hard when he came on and did not look out of place. I wonder if we may see him start next week?

The Dunbar/Jones centre combo worked well and it was a welcome return to form for both of them. They have had their injury issues and perhaps we were being a bit harsh on them, expecting to much without giving them a chance to bed back in. I am pretty sure this is our top combo and I would like to see them played again next week in preparation for the euro games where they will surely start. Pete Horne I suspect will be covering 10/12 from the bench.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:46 am

George Carlin wrote:Thanks Jim. Any whispers from Scotstoun about what we are doing to address our tighthead crisis?

The commentator made reference to "Glasgow are scouring the world over in search of a suitable tight head". I can safely say they won't be signing anyone from the Dragons.

Mind you their full back looks a prospect.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Huw jones motm by chance?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 pm

tigertattie wrote:Huw jones motm by chance?

Wasn't even close. Killer Kebble deserved it.
Young Hastings was very good too.

Huw Jones was probably the fifth best back for Glasgow, but he is getting closer to finding some form.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:25 pm

https://rugbyonslaught.com/footage-sickening-moment-dragons-player-destroys-face-artificial-pitch/

Ouch! Adam Warren gives himself a Gorbachev on the Glasgow pitch!

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:15 am

The Oracle wrote:https://rugbyonslaught.com/footage-sickening-moment-dragons-player-destroys-face-artificial-pitch/

Ouch! Adam Warren gives himself a Gorbachev on the Glasgow pitch!
Ow. Now I cannot Unsee that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:20 am

Watched the game yesterday – certainly not a vintage Glasgow performance but they’ll be pleased with the 5 points and have had a good workout. Credit to the Dragons – I said before the game I feared they were in for a pumping but they made life difficult for Glasgow, and were committed and physical in defence. They never looked like scoring (other than a breakaway) but Edinburgh fans know well that to become a better team you first need to make yourself difficult to beat!

DR’s going to have to earn his money for the Zebre game as he’s got a tough decision to make – Glasgow desperately need to try and re-find some form before the Champions Cup games but he probably needs to rotate players. A number of the forwards in particular have put in a lot of gametime so far this season and won’t be at their best to keep playing through the next 3 weeks, plus Adam Hastings is probably due a rest.

Does he give Adam Nicol a start to get him up to speed as quickly as possible?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:32 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Credit to the Dragons – I said before the game I feared they were in for a pumping but they made life difficult for Glasgow, and were committed and physical in defence. They never looked like scoring (other than a breakaway) but Edinburgh fans know well that to become a better team you first need to make yourself difficult to beat!

That's more or less what Jackman's been saying, and credit where it's due that we were still theoretically still in the game until the late try; but I'm not sure there's a less imaginative side in the league than the Dragons. The only danger teams are going to face is of being bored into conceding a soft try, because it's not going to come from sleight of hand or a genius move. Really quite dispiriting.

Also, about us defending well - can that truly be said about a team that conceded five tries?

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Watched the game yesterday – certainly not a vintage Glasgow performance but they’ll be pleased with the 5 points and have had a good workout. Credit to the Dragons – I said before the game I feared they were in for a pumping but they made life difficult for Glasgow, and were committed and physical in defence. They never looked like scoring (other than a breakaway) but Edinburgh fans know well that to become a better team you first need to make yourself difficult to beat!

DR’s going to have to earn his money for the Zebre game as he’s got a tough decision to make – Glasgow desperately need to try and re-find some form before the Champions Cup games but he probably needs to rotate players. A number of the forwards in particular have put in a lot of gametime so far this season and won’t be at their best to keep playing through the next 3 weeks, plus Adam Hastings is probably due a rest.

Does he give Adam Nicol a start to get him up to speed as quickly as possible?

I hope so - I know Zander is a bit of a freak, but Nicol is only a year and a half younger than ZF. If he is going to be on the bench for the European games, he needs to have at least one start under his belt.

I would rotate a bit for this game, but keep the core of the team strong. As for Hastings, I think he should just continue playing - he doesn't play in an attritional position, and he needs time in the saddle.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm

I think he is going to have to rest Hastings for this next game. If not now then when? We have got the two euro games coming up, then Munster away, then the week after it is the start of the AIs and Hastings will have to start the first game as FR won't be available.

DR may not get any choice in the matter as there may be a SRU mandate on it.

More importantly I do think we need to have a plan for who plays there when the international windows are upon us. I would like to see Thompson get a start against Zebre and probably have Horne or Frisbee covering from the bench.

Lets face it, we really should be beating Zebre at home whoever we have at FH. It would be good to see a few of the other squad players get a run out as well. They are going to be needed shortly.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:13 pm

He may be OK physically but he needs to be kept mentally fresh too - it is a back ask to get yourself mentally prepared week in week out, and that can be draining.

As Biggee says there's no really opportunity to rest him up until the AIs, and with a World Cup at the end he needs to be given a rest whenever the opportunity arises.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:23 pm

Was listening to radio scotland on sunday, and they have a bit of a chat about Scottish rugby.  Apparently Jackson has asked Rennie if he can get a run at 10...occasionally.  I don't know if he'll get it given he's needed at 15.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:24 pm

On Jackson, I forgot to say in my earlier post that he was pretty guff on Saturday. Thank feck we have Kinghorn given Hogg's injury.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Agreed Jacko has not played well this season so far. I would have been inclined to try him at FH but I don't think his form really merits it to be honest. Let Thompson have a run.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

BigGee wrote:I think he is going to have to rest Hastings for this next game. If not now then when? We have got the two euro games coming up, then Munster away, then the week after it is the start of the AIs and Hastings will have to start the first game as FR won't be available.

DR may not get any choice in the matter as there may be a SRU mandate on it.

More importantly I do think we need to have a plan for who plays there when the international windows are upon us. I would like to see Thompson get a start against Zebre and probably have Horne or Frisbee covering from the bench.

Lets face it, we really should be beating Zebre at home whoever we have at FH. It would be good to see a few of the other squad players get a run out as well. They are going to be needed shortly.

I get what you and RDW are saying, but he is likely not to start in the AI games outside of Wales, so will probably be warming the bench during that period. He is nearly 22 and has had hardly any pro game time really. If he is going to be our no.2 FH at the world cup, the thing I think he needs is game time, not rest - by all means, have Thompson on the bench and bring him on at 50 mins if appropriate.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Hastings probably could do with the next game off. He is going to start the Euro games and the first game of the AI's (and bench in at least 2 more). We either play him now against Zebre and give him Munster away off or the reverse.

Thomson did ok, but he came on when the game was pretty much finished. Horne or Jacko are out of form. Either we concede Munster away or we risk getting embarrassed again after the Kings debacle by putting out a 2nd/3rd string. It is a tough call. I would go for Jackson starting, L Jones at FB and Thomson at 22 covering both positions. If Jackson struggles, hook him at 50. Zebre are a decent side, much better than the Kings.

Quick notes on the game. The scrum penalties were a bit hit or miss, but Glasgow were generally on top against a decent front 5 for the Dragons. Kebble was excellent, however Rae is really putting his hand up for being the 2nd option in May. Rae played 70+ minutes so Nicol is probably not entirely fit/trusted yet.

H Jones is looking better, but he seems slower. Not sure if that is down to players knowing he has pace and adjusting angles accordingly. Dunbar had a good game. Davidson was working hard when he came on. I would like to see him and Cummings together at some point. Harley is actually carrying and he is a much better player for it. He does not need to be overly effective, but it forces a tackler to commit to him a bit more.

Dragons were competitive and fought hard. They will turn over a team or two over the course of the season (international breaks will favour them). The injuries in the first half hurt them and the attacking rugby is not great. The set-piece was not comfortable for them though maybe one of the Dragons supporters can comment on the overall quality over the season. Their 13 was rapid, outpacing H Jones for the try.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Adam Warren, the outside centre, has always been good for us when he's played. He is quick, and we've played him on the wing before.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Warren should really be our first choice centre, given that Dixon is pretty uninspiring and Morgan is an injury waiting to happen (sadly).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Warren should really be our first choice centre, given that Dixon is pretty uninspiring and Morgan is an injury waiting to happen (sadly).
Probably right on Morgan unfortunately,but Dixon is critical. One of the few players in the side who can tackle and make ground in heavy traffic. If we had forwards who could carry I'd agree but the 13 options aren't inspiring outside of Warren and Morgan either
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Yeah fair enough. He is another jackalling threat too. I just think he is used rather woefully by us, was more the issue.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2