The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread

+9
hogey
owen10ozzy
Duty281
DuransHorse
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
Basset
Nathaniel Jacobs
Pedro147
13 posters

Go down

Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread Empty Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread

Post by Pedro147 Fri 28 Sep - 2:19

This fight is on ITV PPV tomorrow night, from the boxing hotbed of Saudi Arabia. The height difference was quite clear in their face-off.

How do people see this going? I still don't know how to rate Smith as he's not really fought anybody great but he's won his fights well. I can't pick a winner but I hope it's Groves.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread Empty Re: Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 28 Sep - 3:39

Groves should ease to victory if the shoulder has healed properly. All four of the Smith brothers are pretty talentless

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread Empty Re: Groves - Callum Smith - Fight Thread

Post by Basset Sat 29 Sep - 5:30

Anyone watching this? Seen the interview with Smith I thought he didn’t look great and looks very gaunt.

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 6:17

I rate Smith....Think he is a Cruiserweight that somehow manages to make 175..

Taller....Bigger....has a good dig...Decent jab and good body attack.

Smith ko11.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sat 29 Sep - 6:39

Will be interested to see if Groves shoulder holds up or is it a David Haye ‘recovery’. From potentially retiring to fighting within 6 months seems a very quick turnaround.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 29 Sep - 6:48

I've chucked a cheeky few quid on Groves KO and then Smith on points

Against the grain I guess but only way to make a few bucks

I rate Smith's chances though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sat 29 Sep - 6:53

Hi guys. Gone Groves pts hedged Smith 6 to 12 if the shoulder is gone.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:00

Groves 4/6.....Smith 5/4....

Close to pickem....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sat 29 Sep - 7:03

Groves via late stoppage or point. In saying that I thought Rocky Fielding would beat him but he lost in the first round so don’t listen to a word I say.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sat 29 Sep - 7:06

Whoever wins this gets the Ali trophy. The next World Boxing Series trophy will be named after the second best boxer of all time, Gavin Rees.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 29 Sep - 7:11

Groves is shop worn and knackered, so Smith by late stoppage.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:30

Duty281 wrote:Groves is shop worn and knackered, so Smith by late stoppage.

Don't sit on the fence.....

but I like your prediction..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:34

38-38..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Sep - 7:40

U have Groves up by 1 after 5...

Smith landed two best shots but is barely pulling the trigger.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:41

Agreed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:43

57-57

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:47

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I rate Smith....Think he is a Cruiserweight that somehow manages to make 175..

Smith ko11.

The predictor strikes again..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sat 29 Sep - 7:48

Groves doesn’t look to have much left, probably be a good time to bow out.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 29 Sep - 7:49

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I rate Smith....Think he is a Cruiserweight that somehow manages to make 175..

Smith ko11.

Lottery numbers?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:50

Steffan wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Smith ko11.

Lottery numbers?

Never wrong mate.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Sep - 7:50

Bang and it's all over....Smith's prediction of Groves being shop worn seems correct. Hurt him twice when he landed clean and then closed show in the 7th. Groves doesn't get to his feet...the shake of the head suggesting he didn't fancy anymore of that.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 29 Sep - 7:52

Well that wasn't a surprise. Groves should think about retirement.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep - 7:53

owen10ozzy wrote:Bang and it's all over....Smith's prediction of Groves being shop worn seems correct. Hurt him twice when he landed clean and then closed show in the 7th. Groves doesn't get to his feet...the shake of the head suggesting he didn't fancy anymore of that.

He is a big super middle...talented lad..

Defend against Eubank jr next....that will be fun..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 29 Sep - 8:04

I don't want to see Eubank Jr anywhere near a world title fight again. Think he is massively overrated. Has talent but isn't and will never be humble enough to fulfill it. 

I can't imagine Smith stays at Super Middle long term..could be licking his chops at the Light Heavy division. One of the few people who i think actually gets much stronger stepping up a division

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 29 Sep - 8:12

Great finish from Smith so well done to the lad, not sure how he gets down to that weight he looked like a cruiserweight in there. i thought Groves was nicking the rounds as Smith was not busy enough, but he never looked anything like himself and his legs looked weak right from the start. Not sure if it was age or not but definately not right for my money. Think its time he retires he is a good lad and knows the game backwards so i could see him becoming a decent trainer.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 29 Sep - 8:37

Callum Smith finishes Grove off with a body punch, that either completely took Groves breath away (with full recovery later) or has broke his rib. It seems that maybe Groves was just winded.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 29 Sep - 11:16

To be fair, groves hasn't been the same since the first Froch defeat, but tonight he looked really flat footed and no head or body movement.

Smith looked huge and it's clear the height and reach were giving an aging and less mobile groves issues, from the beginning.

Great win for Smith but groves is talking of continuing. If he lost because of tactics etc, that's one thing, but if he lost because he's shop warn he needs to be honest.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 29 Sep - 19:41

Smith is pretty rubbish, Groves presumably would've retired after the shoulder injury but for the large payday for reaching the WBSS final and his promoter running the tournament. Smith is a flat footed plodder and a typical Gallagher fighter.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 29 Sep - 22:03

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Smith is pretty rubbish, Groves presumably would've retired after the shoulder injury but for the large payday for reaching the WBSS final and his promoter running the tournament. Smith is a flat footed plodder and a typical Gallagher fighter.

He looked pretty good to me completely dominated a fight with Ramirez down the line suddenly becomes very attractive they’re both very tall for the weight should decide number one at 68

Another fight at 68 I’d like to see is Eubank/Uzcategui

Can’t comment on Benavidez as in truth have yet to see him fight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 29 Sep - 22:40

Herman Jaeger wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Smith is pretty rubbish, Groves presumably would've retired after the shoulder injury but for the large payday for reaching the WBSS final and his promoter running the tournament. Smith is a flat footed plodder and a typical Gallagher fighter.

He looked pretty good to me completely dominated a fight with Ramirez down the line suddenly becomes very attractive they’re both very tall for the weight should decide number one at 68

Another fight at 68 I’d like to see is Eubank/Uzcategui

Can’t comment on Benavidez as in truth have yet to see him fight
Dominating a fighter at the end of the road is hardly a worthy achievement. Smith gets routed by anyone at 168 that can punch and move.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 29 Sep - 22:55

Callum Smith reminded me of a preying mantis against Groves.  He more or less controlled that fight against Groves who was not really able to counter the difference in reach between them.   Also Groves was troubled by Smith's power several times.  Groves needed more energy and movement - but was outclassed / outboxed.  This is the first time I have seen a Callum Smith fight.   Groves, from outboxing a game but a bit clueless Eubank Junior, is himself outboxed.  Very surprising in terms of how one-sided it was.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 30 Sep - 22:13

Very one-sided affair, even if George has seen better days you’d still expect it to have been closer than that. A very good performance

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 1 Oct - 0:29

No name Bertie wrote:Callum Smith reminded me of a preying mantis against Groves.  He more or less controlled that fight against Groves who was not really able to counter the difference in reach between them.   Also Groves was troubled by Smith's power several times.  Groves needed more energy and movement - but was outclassed / outboxed.  This is the first time I have seen a Callum Smith fight.   Groves, from outboxing a game but a bit clueless Eubank Junior, is himself outboxed.  Very surprising in terms of how one-sided it was.

I haven’t seen the fight but Groves was ahead on two cards and level on one. From general reports on the internet, seems it was more or less a pickem after 6 rounds. Certainly not a one-sided fight.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 1 Oct - 4:15

Oddly scored cards

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 1 Oct - 7:36

Born Slippy wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:Callum Smith reminded me of a preying mantis against Groves.  He more or less controlled that fight against Groves who was not really able to counter the difference in reach between them.   Also Groves was troubled by Smith's power several times.  Groves needed more energy and movement - but was outclassed / outboxed.  This is the first time I have seen a Callum Smith fight.   Groves, from outboxing a game but a bit clueless Eubank Junior, is himself outboxed.  Very surprising in terms of how one-sided it was.

I haven’t seen the fight but Groves was ahead on two cards and level on one. From general reports on the internet, seems it was more or less a pickem after 6 rounds. Certainly not a one-sided fight.
Callum Smith had reach and height advantage and taking up a defensive position - but he wasn't out-jabbing Groves. Groves was having difficulty getting to him, but Smith himself wasn't doing much - he was more or less waiting for Groves to make an attack and to counter. There were exchanges. Groves did get through on occasion and then Callum was able to counter - and twice wobbled Groves. That represented the first six rounds.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 3 Oct - 3:00

Herman Jaeger wrote:Oddly scored cards

Absolutely not odd in my opinion, Groves was nicking rounds on being slighly the busier man and i had him 2 rounds up at the time of the stoppage, but had a strange fragile look about him and after a few rounds it was clear he was not right.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 3 Oct - 3:13

hogey wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Oddly scored cards

Absolutely not odd in my opinion, Groves was nicking rounds on being slighly the busier man and i had him 2 rounds up at the time of the stoppage, but had a strange fragile look about him and after a few rounds it was clear he was not right.

Fair enough, we see what we see

After one round only ever going to be one winner for me, George couldn’t get anywhere near him. George a good fighter admirable how he came back from the Froch loss, but not a great one

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down