The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+19
TexasWedge
Be_the_ball
super_realist
Diggers
superflyweight
dynamark
JAS
I'm never wrong
NedB-H
pedro
navyblueshorts
Davie
kwinigolfer
westisbest
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
wiretapper
beninho
McLaren
23 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Sat 29 Sep - 13:36

First topic message reminder :

Re Sterling, he’s got more PL assists than any English player in the last year, 3rd most of anyone. As well as a shedload of goals, what a poopie player he is!!
Could this be it for Jose, I certainly hope so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 10 Oct - 9:08

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:If I was from France or Scandinavia it wouldn't scare me so much but come on the Brits are pretty simple minded.

It pains me to say it, and they could well ignore their own reasoning skills due to political bias, but Boris and JRM probably have the mental capacity to understand the arguments made in court and the difference between not guilty and innocent.
Ah yes, no thickos in France or Scandinavia. Also, no intellectual giants who'd have biases, conscious or unconscious eh? I'd hate to be in the dock with you as a jurist as your prejudices would be dangerous.

I literally said the opposite "they could well ignore their own reasoning skills due to political bias".
Ah yes, pick the little bit that might fit something you posted. Never mind Mac. I think you've confirmed your position for all to see. As I said, I'd hate to see you as part of a jury if I'm ever in the dock.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 10 Oct - 9:10

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:When the representatives act like brats who can’t agree anything - which is why we are where we are at - then why should we have any faith in their decision- or more likely, lack of one.

I have even less reason to trust the UK public. Have you ever done Jury Duty for example, and those are the type of people voting.

The idea of a jury selected at random from the general public deciding your fate in a trial is truly terrifying.  The standard of the average British person is just dire.

I did it a few years ago and the majority of the people on the jury (15 in Scotland) should have actually been the ones  in the dock. Actual scum who paid no attention to the trial, and it wasn't just those who were selected that were scum, it was the 200 or so who made up the pool to pick from that were largely scum. In the trial I was part of, there were only other 2 people who were remotely educated. Some even wore a tracksuit to the chamber.

Mac, I've spent a lot of time in Scandinavia, and while they certainly appear to be better educated and more rounded than your average Brit, France is full of total scum if you'd ever bothered to look away from the tourist areas. Not as bad as Britain from what I've seen, but I've seen a lot of deadbeats in France.
Impressive. You're as bad as Mac. Nice to know that we have you as a standout individual, upholding the standards.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 10 Oct - 9:11

Super, shouldn't jurors represent an "average" of society?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 10 Oct - 9:11

NedB-H wrote:
pedro wrote:
NedB-H wrote:Firstly, we’re now lumbered with a policy decided upon by ill-informed joe publics instead of any informed experts.
Ned you can't say important decisions should be left to experts. Then we may as well have a technocrat goverment. The Brexit vote was a lot about emotions and sentimentality. Just as people voting for the left and far right is a lot about emotions.
We basically do have a technocrat government though. The senior civil servants do the day to day running of the country far more than the politicians do. We just elect people who tell the civil servants which direction to go in. And it works pretty well for the most part. “Direct democracy” is a godawful idea because people don’t take account of the way policies affect each other. Representative democracy turns all the policies into a workable system, that’d never happen if the public had their say on every policy all of the time, without thinking through the consequences. A Corbyn government will prove that...
Don't the Swiss have referenda on more or less everything? Much as I think they need to be invaded, they seem to be doing OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 10 Oct - 9:12

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

It's scary isn't it?  Jail shouldn't be the deterrent to crime it should be the dumb arses that would have to weigh the evidence in your trial.

You wouldn't have believed it Mac, old hags desperate to get out of the jury room for a fag and taking no consideration of the evidence, just "let's get on it with it so I can get home to fry up my fellas tea". Jurors wearing jeans etc. It's terrifying to know that such people are in charge of your fate should you end up in court for something. What's worse is you are FORCED to endure their company for the entire day, you are not permitted to even leave them at lunch.

I don't think professional jurors would be a bad idea, or at least a large pool of properly vetted people who meet a minimum requirement for intelligence and an ability to take it seriously.
OMG!!! We're doomed.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 10 Oct - 11:22

Imagine if you were in the dock and found Mac and Super on the jury? Shocked

Super: "I went through his facebook history and found a photo of him wearing a football shirt in 2002. Guilty."
Mac: "He's guilty because he's a man and an oppressor."

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Oct - 11:31

pedro wrote:Super, shouldn't jurors represent an "average" of society?

They do and that is the problem.  Didn't you read the posts?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Oct - 11:36

Navy

Agreed that jeans is a odd one for super to mention but putting that aside are you really saying that you would be happen for a random sampling of the population to decide your fate?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 10 Oct - 11:43

McLaren wrote:Navy

Agreed that jeans is a odd one for super to mention but putting that aside are you really saying that you would be happen for a random sampling of the population to decide your fate?
That's the law of the land. It's how it works. If they don't "get it", blame the Barristers and Judges for not clarifying well enough and/or making their respective cases well enough.

I don't necessarily equate 'guilty' as being absolutely true that someone did something or 'not guilty' with the reverse. It's the system we have and has worked well enough for hundreds of years. Your assumption that because someone might be a bit 'thick' they can't, when presented with clear evidence and argument, make a sensible decision on someone's guilt says far more about you than those members of the public you're denigrating.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 10 Oct - 13:23

raycastleunited wrote:Imagine if you were in the dock and found Mac and Super on the jury? Shocked

Super: "I went through his facebook history and found a photo of him wearing a football shirt in 2002. Guilty."

She's wearing a crucifix, send her to broadmoor!!!

Surely you'd want anyone but these two on a jury!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Oct - 13:34

Navy

You raise a good point about barristers pitching their arguments at a suitable level for the audience they face but the issue is that the general populations critical reasoning skills are so low it might not be possible to compensate for.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 10 Oct - 14:37

I won't engage anymore as I'm assuming you're WUMing OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Oct - 14:44

I know I am prone to the odd bit of wumming but in this case I am being serious, and I am pretty sure Super means it as well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 10 Oct - 15:39

If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 10 Oct - 15:48

[quote="beninho"]
raycastleunited wrote:Imagine if you were in the dock and found Mac and Super on the jury? Shocked

She's wearing a crucifix, send her to broadmoor!!!

Surely you'd want anyone but these two on a jury![/quote]

Unless it required a unanimous vote, although ironically this bit of this thread sees the most agreement between them ever.

Although they are the same person Very Happy Run

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Oct - 19:24

Jeans? You think it's appropriate for a juror to wear jeans? Would anyone with a brain wear jeans to jury duty? At worst it should be smart casual. I realise that when I did it, it was just a violent incidence between two skag heads who were too f****d to know what was going on, but it's simple courtesy and self respect to wear something respectable whilst serving on a jury isn't it? Jeans are way too casual in my opinion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 10 Oct - 20:05

Aren’t you sitting down anyway?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Oct - 20:07

Yes, you are, but you're sitting down in a job interview too, but you wouldn't wear jeans to that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 10 Oct - 20:13

super_realist wrote:Yes, you are, but you're sitting down in a job interview too, but you wouldn't wear jeans to that.
Based on your description, 10 out of 12 jurors would.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 10 Oct - 20:22

super_realist wrote:Yes, you are, but you're sitting down in a job interview too, but you wouldn't wear jeans to that.

Depends on the job.

Seen people wear jeans to factory/warehouse.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 10 Oct - 20:28

I did jury duty - though a long time ago. I wore jeans. I suppose I ought to be losing sleep tonight over what super might think of me but DILLIGAF? Jury duty doesn't pay me enough money to dress up

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Oct - 20:29

You can't compare a court room to a factory seriously, but even if I was unfortunate enough to have to work in such a position as a warehouse, i'd still dress smartly for the interview, and every recruiter/HR department would tell you the same.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Oct - 20:47

westisbest wrote:

Depends on the job.

Blow job?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 10 Oct - 21:04

super_realist wrote:You can't compare a court room to a factory seriously, but even if I was unfortunate enough to have to work in such a position as a warehouse, i'd still dress smartly for the interview, and every recruiter/HR department would tell you the same.

You said you wouldn’t wear jeans to a job interview.
I’m just saying people wear have worn jeans to a warehouse job.

Nothing wrong with people working in a warehouse.
It’s an honest hardworking job.
I guess that’s your character to put something down.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 10 Oct - 21:04

McLaren wrote:
westisbest wrote:

Depends on the job.

Blow job?

Whatever floats your boat mclaren.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 10 Oct - 23:01

I wouldn’t overdress for an interview for a low skilled job. The recruiter might think I was overqualified and would leave when something better turned up.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 10 Oct - 23:29

The DUP abstains on a vote tonight, flexing their muscles in advance of Brexit deal. Another disgusting element, that this utterly revolting party somehow has a huge say in mainstream policy. So wrong on so many levels, this is like an exercise is showing how representative politics can be the worst solution.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 11 Oct - 0:16

Thankfully the justice system has been busy with more important stuff than the Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-45789759

PS. Unconfirmed rumours out that super_realist spotted someone in the court room wearing black leather pants. Shocked

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Oct - 7:57

westisbest wrote:
super_realist wrote:You can't compare a court room to a factory seriously, but even if I was unfortunate enough to have to work in such a position as a warehouse, i'd still dress smartly for the interview, and every recruiter/HR department would tell you the same.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with wearing jeans for a job in a warehouse, but you'd be a complete moron to wear jeans to an interview  for any job, even a binman or street sweeper.

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with working in a warehouse, I said I wouldn't want to do it. It's low paid, manual, monotonous, not aspirational and is not a career. Why would I want to do that job if I could do something more meaningful and which uses my brain more? For most educated people, having to resort to working in a warehouse, WOULD be an unfortunate move.

For the record, I've done plenty of manual jobs before I had the requisite qualifications and experience to do anything more advanced, so I know I wouldn't want to go back to them. So it's not "looking down on a job" to say I would be unfortunate to go back to a job like that, it's knowing from experience what they are like.

Also, if your work has a policy where business attire isn't required, I've no problem with that, but if everyone is wearing business clothes, and you turn up in pair of jeans and a t-shirt, it's not going to look too good.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 11 Oct - 9:29

Diggers wrote:The DUP abstains on a vote tonight, flexing their muscles in advance of Brexit deal. Another disgusting element, that this utterly revolting party somehow has a huge say in mainstream policy. So wrong on so many levels, this is like an exercise is showing how representative politics can be the worst solution.
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 11 Oct - 9:50

Surely the days of jeans being deemed purely as casual/ unsuitable clotjing has disappeared. Jeans can be pretty much anything you want them to be. My wife works for a company in london and jeans are the general work attire. Thats including for job interviews.

Obviously you alter your clothing to uour job and the company standards. But to say a moron would wear heans to any interview is clearly wrong, if anything smart business dress is whats declining from many sectors.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 11 Oct - 11:14

super_realist wrote:
westisbest wrote:

I didn't say there was anything wrong with wearing jeans for a job in a warehouse, but you'd be a complete moron to wear jeans to an interview  for any job, even a binman or street sweeper.

I didn't say that there was anything wrong with working in a warehouse, I said I wouldn't want to do it. It's low paid, manual, monotonous, not aspirational and is not a career. Why would I want to do that job if I could do something more meaningful and which uses my brain more? For most educated people, having to resort to working in a warehouse, WOULD be an unfortunate move.

For the record, I've done plenty of manual jobs before I had the requisite qualifications and experience to do anything more advanced, so I know I wouldn't want to go back to them. So it's not "looking down on a job" to say I would be unfortunate to go back to a job like that, it's knowing from experience what they are like.

Also, if your work has a policy where business attire isn't required, I've no problem with that, but if everyone is wearing business clothes, and you turn up in pair of jeans and  a t-shirt, it's not going to look too good.

It's very industry specific. I'd always wear a suit to an interviews as a teacher, working in the film/TV world you'd very rarely see anyone in a suit, even for interviews. For menial jobs (no offence to any who has one) people rarely turn up in suits anymore for interviews, think those days are long gone.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Oct - 12:06

I’ve left that job. Wasn’t for me wanted a different job/challenge, as I had done it most of my working life.

Am now in child care. A big career change.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 11 Oct - 13:27

Perhaps child care with suit and tie could be a new niche to exploit? It would cater to affluent people like super and keep away the riff raff. Interesting business case.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 11 Oct - 13:46

pedro wrote:Perhaps child care with suit and tie could be a new niche to exploit? It would cater to affluent people like super and keep away the riff raff. Interesting business case.
I think Norland Nannies have that niche pretty well sewn up.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 11 Oct - 14:10

pedro wrote:Perhaps child care with suit and tie could be a new niche to exploit? It would cater to affluent people like super and keep away the riff raff. Interesting business case.

Never wear a tie with kids, end up getting strangled.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 11 Oct - 14:13

super_realist wrote:

Jeans? You think it's appropriate for a juror to wear jeans? Would anyone with a brain wear jeans to jury duty? At worst it should be smart casual. I realise that when I did it, it was just a violent incidence between two skag heads who were too f****d to know what was going on, but it's simple courtesy and self respect to wear something respectable whilst serving on a jury isn't it? Jeans are way too casual in my opinion.

ok so we understand that jeans are inappropriate. What about shorts? Would they be acceptable if paired with long socks?

And what's your definition of smart casual? Does that include jacket and tie, or is that only after 6pm?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 11 Oct - 14:15

beninho wrote:Surely the days of jeans being deemed purely as casual/ unsuitable clothing has disappeared.

You do realise this is a golf forum? Laugh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 11 Oct - 16:26

Diggers wrote:

Never wear a tie with kids, end up getting strangled.
Interesting school you're at Digs!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Oct - 17:48

beninho wrote:Surely the days of jeans being deemed purely as casual/ unsuitable clotjing has disappeared. Jeans can be pretty much anything you want them to be. My wife works for a company in london and jeans are the general work attire. Thats including for job interviews.

Obviously you alter your clothing to uour job and the company standards. But to say a moron would wear heans to any interview is clearly wrong, if anything smart business dress is whats declining from many sectors.

You're taking a hell of a risk if you don't wear formal clothes for an interview though, even if it's not expected, how are you to know?

Unless the HR department specifically tells you not to bother with formal clothing for the interview, you'd have to be very bold to guess that a company doesn't expect you to be making an impression for your interview, even if you do turn up in a suit and people have jeans and shirts on it's far better than turning up in jeans and t shirt when you're being interviewed by people in business attire.

No matter how much research you do on a company, you might not be able to find out what their expectations are. Surely best to just play it safe?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 11 Oct - 18:46

May be its just a london thing. Thing is, you again talk about jeans as being things not to wear, when a lot of times jeans can look smarter then a suit worn for interviews, funerals and weddings.

But if a job interview is decided on how someone looks rather then how they interview, would uou want to work there!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Oct - 20:07

If unsure, why wouldn't you just ask what the dress code is? And then go up one notch if you're still not sure.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Oct - 7:56

beninho wrote:May be its just a london thing. Thing is, you again talk about jeans as being things  not to wear, when a lot of times jeans can look smarter then a suit worn for interviews, funerals and weddings.

But if a job interview is decided on how someone looks rather then how they interview, would uou want to work there!

It's about creating an impression and showing respect for the company and people interviewing showing that you're willing to make an effort, wearing jeans to an interview seems pretty slovenly and disrespectful, not to mention risky unless they've told you that it would be ok to wear such clothing. You might think your jeans "look smart" but it's a bit risky presuming the interview panel will

Would you wear jeans to a funeral if you hadn't been instructed this was ok?

Imagine if you're up against 6 other candidates, and you are trying to be remembered and make an impression, yes, you'll be remembered for wearing jeans and a tshirt, but is that a good thing when everyone else made an effort?

You might think why would you want to work for a company who cares what you wear, but why would a company care about hiring an individual who didn't. If they are that slipshod and arrogant about their appearance as to not bother with a suit, how slipshod is their work going to be. You have one chance to make an impression, why would you risk it just because you're a "style and convention rebel"?

I'm fine if the company isn't bothered, or if you've asked what the dress code is but I bet no one on here would turn up in jeans for an interview UNLESS they'd already checked to see if it was ok first.

As for it being a London thing. Complete balls, are you telling me that the financial institutions, universities, hospitals etc are fine with you turning up with jeans on?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 12 Oct - 8:57

Right - what the f**k is a flat black?

I "get" a flat white as being whatever the McDonalds advert says it is after all the pretentious coffee fu*ks have crawled up their own ar5ehole so far they watch their breakfast coming in. But a flat black? Surely to f**king god that is just a f**king coffee.

Yours Maxwell House-ly with milk and a sugar (although, ironically it may come across that I haven't had one yet).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 12 Oct - 9:11

Roller_Coaster wrote:Right - what the f**k is a flat black?

I "get" a flat white as being whatever the McDonalds advert says it is after all the pretentious coffee fu*ks have crawled up their own ar5ehole so far they watch their breakfast coming in. But a flat black? Surely to f**king god that is just a f**king coffee.

Yours Maxwell House-ly with milk and a sugar (although, ironically it may come across that I haven't had one yet).
Laugh Great rant! I dunno about coming across as not having had a coffee yet though - maybe too many?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Oct - 9:56

Flat white is my coffee of choice or latte with a vanilla shot. Fuk im so middle class.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 12 Oct - 10:10

ok I had to read up about this, it's a Costa thing.

Essentially it's an espresso diluted with a bit of water but not as much as an americano. So for people who find espresso too strong but americano too weak... I get that (they must have done the market research and identified a gap), but why is a flat back more expensive? They are charging people MORE money for the same drink but with less water.

So really it's just a brazen attempt to rip off wannabe hipsters and coffee snobs. They've also introduced a coconut flat white.... yuck.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 12 Oct - 10:10

beninho wrote:Flat white is my coffee of choice or latte with a vanilla shot. Fuk im so middle class.

That is so basic b1tch

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Oct - 10:41

While in Nero getting my usual morning drink, ive heard some requests I don't understand. God knows how the barista knows what to do! Also like a caramel macchiato from starbucks

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 12 Oct - 10:59

I always thought getting the flavored shots in coffee was a bit chav?

Although it will come as a surprise to no one that my coffee arrives in the mail from my hipster roaster of choice. (probably the least green thing I do)

And even I haven't heard of a flat black, but I wouldn't go into costa.

Ray

It sounds like they are just calling a long black by a different name.  Although not to sound like a bell end but long black should be water then coffee, not coffee then water.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next