The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India VS Australia 2018-19

+13
Duty281
Nathaniel Jacobs
Gooseberry
alfie
sirfredperry
Pal Joey
guildfordbat
msp83
VTR
wisden
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
subhranshu.kumar.5
17 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

India VS Australia 2018-19 - Page 5 Empty India VS Australia 2018-19

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Wed 21 Nov 2018, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

The only time India lifted the Border-Gavaskar trophy was in 2003-04 when the series was drawn 1-1. Many considers this is the best chance for India to lift the trophy with a win, as this Aussies side is the weakest one to have played against India. Let's see how the summer shower it's heat in Australia. The schedule are as follows

T-20 series:
Match 1 - 21 November - Brisbane
Match 2 - 23 November - Melbourne
Match 3 - 25 November - Sydney

Test Matches

1. Adelaide : 6-12-18 to 10-12-18
2. Perth : 14-12-2018 to 18-12-18
3. Melbourne : 26-12-18 to 30-12-18
4. Sydney : 03-01-19 to 07-01-19

ODI Series:

Match 1 - 12 Jan - Sydney
Match 2 - 15 Jan - Adelaide
Match 3 - 18 Jan - Melbourne

To be honest I am not happy with the scheduling. Indian team management thinks that T-20 or the ODIs are the best way to get acclimatised to the home conditions and they were proved wrong in the last two tours. Still they have only one practise game for preparations. Also if the nepotism wonder R. Sharma gets into the XI, I will support Australia to repeat 2011.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

India VS Australia 2018-19 - Page 5 Empty Re: India VS Australia 2018-19

Post by VTR Sat 15 Dec 2018, 9:08 am

Kohli is definitely the master and possibly the greatest batsman of the modern era. Williamson, I can't bracket him anywhere near, as through no fault of his own doesn't play in the big series. Root is then further behind, stylish but inconsistent. Smith puts up great numbers but in such an ugly way, I'd rather watch Devon Malcolm bat to be honest

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 15 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

--India's day....took 4 wickets for 50 odd and scored 172-3.....the pitch has no demons....bounce but little lateral movement, no spin and no variable like we saw yesterday.

--Pujara was unlucky to tickle down the leg-side....after playing so many deliveries
BUT King Kohli the batsman looks in the zone...and set for a 100...Rahane has played positively & beautifully...he comes into his top-gear against pace / bounce/ seam and struggle on domestic spin / patta

I have a feeling about Pant...... tomorrow to crack a 50 ball 70 and take game away from...Aus that's the possibility he offers & is due

--India had just one bad session...the first one of match letting Aus get 50 over as innings total than they should have ...and leaving Aus still 60-40 ahead....inspite of having a great D2
owing to batting 4th and the lonnnggg tail Ind has

PS* If i was kohli I would point out
"Look my pick of Yadav+ Vihari as bowlers picked 4 wickets and lyon is wicket-less (so far)  Very Happy
Now only Yadav and Shami need to score 25 between them to redeem the "tail"
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

Kohli is an absolute genius. 
Still say Aus are solid favourites considering rest of India's batting line up, and the fact India are batting last.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 15 Dec 2018, 11:55 am

[quote="It Must Be Love"]Kohli is an absolute genius. 
Still say Aus are solid favourites considering rest of India's batting line up, and the fact India are batting last.[/quote]

I follow the reasoning although I feel ''solid'' is unnecessary and over egging it. Semantics maybe and personal opinions definitely. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, a good day for India and a great fightback from 8/2. Kohli will naturally get the headlines although I thought Pujara batted really well alongside him with a fine appreciation of the match circumstances until falling a little unluckily to a legside strangle. Unlike when he played for Yorkshire last season and had so much trouble against the nibbling ball, Pujara looks a proper Test batsman on Australian soil. Not that many runs for him today but still a valuable innings in the context of the situation. Whilst the commentators kept droning on about the low run rate, what mattered most at that time was to preserve their wickets and keep out the good balls - of which there were a lot. I doubt that Cummins and Lyon will ever bowl better for a combined nil return.

I appreciate the very understandable concerns about India's tail and having to bat last. However, it's still quite possible for the visitors to gain a first innings lead. That's why I don't put the hosts as solid favourites - not yet anyway.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 15 Dec 2018, 12:32 pm

Yeah there's no way Australia are strong favourites. India could have effectively lost the match today but have far from done that and have the best batsmen in the world at the crease still. A lead of 75 or so would be massive and that is more than possible. Even parity would put the pressure on an inexperienced Australian line up, who don't have Sam Curran to rescue them if India do get on top

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 15 Dec 2018, 12:43 pm

Didn't one of the Australians say that Kohli wouldn't get a hundred in this series? OK, he's not there yet, but it was still a pretty stupid thing to say in a four-Test series.
Think India will have to get something of a lead to be favourites for this match. Good series so far.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 15 Dec 2018, 1:25 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Bhuvi Kumar in the 2 tests he played in South Africa:

CAPE TOWN:
4 wickets 1st innings 
25 runs 1st innings 
2 wickets 2nd innings 
13 not out 1nd innings 

He was India's highest wicket taker, and 3rd highest run scorer.

Drooped for second test...

JOHANNESBURG:
30 runs 1st innings
3 wickets 1st innings
33 runs 2nd innings 
1 wicket 2nd innings 

He was India's 2nd highest run scorer in this Test behind Kohli, won MOTM for his all round performance. 

Why the hell is he not playing on this green Perth pitch, when India need a swing bowler and more depth in tail end batting?

B.....red if I know Smile

Guess they wanted Umesh for pace. In fairness he did bowl well here last trip.

It isn't altogether easy for India in selection because they have to deal with dramatically different home and away conditions and they do have options , all of which have an arguable case.

I'd have played Bhuvi - and maybe Jadeja - but I can see why they didn't. We will see how it all pans out...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 15 Dec 2018, 1:42 pm

Well what are we to make of this situation ?

First I must confess I've seen little of this so far : expected to watch today but the violent storms that wracked Melbourne yesterday amazingly backed off enough to allow us a full day of cricket - a win for us ! So only saw the late batting where Kohli and Rahane looked in command. After noting on day one a strange contrast between a generally fast but reliable pitch and one that occasionally produced outliers like the one that got Harris , I was wondering what day two would provide. Mainly true bounce , etc ? If so , maybe batting last won't be such a big deal ?

320 is a decent first innings score. If K and R bat on tomorrow it might not be too overwhelming ; but an early wicket in the morning could put cat among pigeons...though I do agree with KP_fan that Pant might like this pitch.

I'd put it at 50/50 right now. Australia really would have wanted more than three wickets ; and I'm not sure enough of their batting to rule out a second innings collapse. But if they can saw India off for under 280 - and that tail looms large ! - they just might take the advantage and ram it home...

First session day three vital , no ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 15 Dec 2018, 1:57 pm

India comprehensively lost just one session, the very first of the match.......and has either marginally or comprehensively won every other session....and yet finds itself a bit behind in the game.....40-60 as I stated earlier.

That's how tough test match cricket is.....and that's why it holds charm.

India's task is cut out clear.....bat 2 sessions tomm & then they would matched or taken a slender lead
sub-condition applies that one of the 4 batters i.e Rahane, Kohli, Vihari and Pant must go n.o or last man out
A regular stroke-playing batsman at the other end some-what cushions our tailender's limitations in run scoring ....and allows stitching 20 to 40 run partnerships...where all scoring is done by the stroke player.
We've seen Kohli & Pujara accomplish those with Bumrah & Ishant in Eng and here in T1 also.

From how the game stands now.....Ind could finish between -60 to +100 of the Aussie total
BIG 100 from either of Kohli ( more likely) or Rahane or a 125% SR fifty from Pant could push us towards the upside

Off-course there can be a major collapse in first session and Ind are shot out in first session and a bit.

The game is beautifully set & wide open OK

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 15 Dec 2018, 3:42 pm

Good day for India in the end, and Kohli the batsman has slowly started compensating for Kohli the captain's stupid mistakes that he started from the first test onwards. Fine 82 not out from him, but that's only half the job. Rahane had an interesting start where in he looked like Pant in his approach earlier on, but after 23 at better than a run-a-ball, he settled down to play like the Rahane of 2014.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 15 Dec 2018, 3:51 pm

But again, with the batting absolutely ending at 7, Australia would hope they would be able to get one of Kohli or Rahane early, then there is the 2nd new ball in just about 11 overs. Don't think Pant with his current approach would be able to survive that for very long, and the long tail will have no chance against Starc and Cummins with the new ball. But if India can manage that first session without much damage tomorrow, then they have a chance to get out of jail despite the selection bloopers
Remember India is 154 behind even now. There is no Pujara to blunt the new ball as he has done consistently in this series. If Kohli gets going tomorrow and if Pant has one of those days, then India might be able to take up a bit of a lead, but the chances are greater that they might end up conceding a lead of 50-60.
Then again, Kohli can hope that the quicks would do a job and that he and Shastri won't be further embarrassed for not playing Jadeja here.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 15 Dec 2018, 3:54 pm

Big opportunity for Hanuma Vihari. If he can play an innings of substance tomorrow, that will go a long way in consolidating his place in the side. His domestic record is brilliant at the First Class level with an average close to 60 over a few seasons, he is a semi-decent parttime bowling option. He is reputed to have a good backfoot game. Hope he shows the technique and temperament to succeed at this level and produce a fine effort tomorrow.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 15 Dec 2018, 3:57 pm

msp83 wrote:Big opportunity for Hanuma Vihari. If he can play an innings of substance tomorrow, that will go a long way in consolidating his place in the side. His domestic record is brilliant at the First Class level with an average close to 60 over a few seasons, he is a semi-decent parttime bowling option. He is reputed to have a good backfoot game. Hope he shows the technique and temperament to succeed at this level and produce a fine effort tomorrow.

Vihari has shades of Yousuf Youhana in him thumbsup
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 15 Dec 2018, 4:48 pm

KP_fan wrote:
msp83 wrote:Big opportunity for Hanuma Vihari. If he can play an innings of substance tomorrow, that will go a long way in consolidating his place in the side. His domestic record is brilliant at the First Class level with an average close to 60 over a few seasons, he is a semi-decent parttime bowling option. He is reputed to have a good backfoot game. Hope he shows the technique and temperament to succeed at this level and produce a fine effort tomorrow.

Vihari has shades of Yousuf Youhana in him thumbsup

Haven't followed him much at domestic level, else we just have the one innings in England... He looked to have that sense of determination. Yousuf was a mighty fine player, if Vihari is anywhere close to him as an overall package, then that will be truly remarkable...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 15 Dec 2018, 7:46 pm

There's some gentle rumours that India have run out of patience with both Rahul and Vijay. There's also talk of u19 sensation Shubman Gill getting the SOS for the Boxing Day test. For those that saw the U19 World Cup, Gill was the standout batsman why s considerable margin. Also in young Gill's favour is he's currently 199* in the ongoing Ranji trophy match

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 16 Dec 2018, 3:16 am

The King brings up his 25th Test hundred, absolutely different class.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:35 am

Big last five minutes in that session ! India - despite losing Rahane right at the start and Vihari to the new ball - were looking pretty serene until Kohli edged that one to Handscomb.

Controversial ? Kohli didn't look convinced ; but the umpires on field thought it out and there wasn't enough evidence to say they were wrong. I thought it a clean catch , live...and even on slow motion replay it looked OK. There was one replay shot that did suggest the ball touched the ground ; but those low angles are very tricky and I think the decision was fair enough - clearly fielders (admittedly biased , but apparently genuine) and umpires (neutral) were happy with it so good enough for me.

And of course no surprise that the first of India's four rabbits is already back in the hutch...

Pant may yet go nuts and take India close ; but it is looking like at least a modest lead for the home team and a big advantage going into the second innings. Still too early to call but definitely Australia's morning , after looking the other way for much of the session. Wonderful innings by Kohli , by the way clap But he will be seriously annoyed at not going on with it after lunch...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 5:05 am

Pant has it all to do after lunch...Ishant doesn't look as if he's going to last long. Barely survived that Cummins over...and indeed now taps it straight back to Lyon ...254/8 and Pant should never have let him take that single to keep the strike .

Looking like a sixty plus lead for Australia.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:08 am

This one is hotting up late on day three...

After Pant got India within forty odd on first innings the Indian pace men have really attacked. Finch was unlucky to suffer a nasty blow to the hand just as he was getting the runs flowing , and looks a serious doubt for a resumption of his innings ; and both Harris with an ill-judged leave and Marsh a poor shot under pressure have since fallen : Khawaja and Handscomb under fierce attack...

Lead just 112 and another wicket now would see India right back in this match. These two need to weather the storm and set things up for when the bowlers - inevitably - tire. Can they , we wonder ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:22 am

Ishant back into the attack and with his first ball has Handscomb so clearly lbw he virtually walks before the umpire raised his finger...

Head in at a vital time in the match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:25 am

Doesn’t look like Handscomb is gonna make it to the Ashes Sad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:41 am

Gutted, let's hope he makes a lucky hundred in the next test, if he gets to play it which is itself doubtful. A player that makes Ravi Bopara look accomplished

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 8:49 am

Lead over 140 now and these two are battling away quite well...Still balls beating the bat now and then but the bowling not looking quite so menacing as when Bumrah and Shami were in full cry.
If they can get to the close just three down Australia will retain the upper hand in this match ; but this match may still have a further twist or two...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 9:16 am

Some useful "dry" bowling from Vihari keeping the run rate down as India press for the couple of wickets they need tonight...Bumrah giving it his all in this last spell for the day , but his earlier efforts must have taken a bit of his edge...maybe not too much , that last ball flew through to Pant Smile
Head getting very bogged down. Needs to keep his...head...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 9:22 am

But alas ...Head has thrown it away ! Thrown the bat at the returning Shami and well caught by Ishant Sharme at deep third man !

Don't think Paine will be happy at coming in just before the close : one more wicket now would leave this on a knife edge...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 9:44 am

On paper , a lead of 169 with six in hand seems almost comfortable given the pitch is giving the bowlers a measure of help - and presumably more tomorrow . But in truth Finch may be unable to return in any meaningful capacity ; so it is really only Cummins you'd trust to bat long after these two.
What will be a defensible target ? Saker was saying he'd settle for 200 but I'm less sure that is enough. I think they'd want 250 at least and that looks a long way off right now.
If no more wickets fall tonight I think this is about even.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 16 Dec 2018, 10:02 am

It's got to be 250 really, as 200, whilst defendable, really relies on getting two or three early wickets and means there would be little chance of a second new ball. I think Saker is trying to be positive, let's be honest they want 300

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 16 Dec 2018, 10:07 am

Don't reckon that Aus will need that many more. Anything over 200 should be enough. India really needed to get a first-innings lead to have a good chance in this match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 16 Dec 2018, 11:23 am

India is up and against it....will get a chase of 240 to 280 I suspect
Feel like pulling out hair again.....leaving out Jadeja,....but we have to put that behind.

Indian openers are the key.......they need to get a 50 run stand and one of them gotta get a BIG 50.
then the strong 3 thru 5 and workable 6 and 7 have a more even spread of workload

and be ready to send Yadav or Ishant as night watchman without hestiattion tomm
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 16 Dec 2018, 2:45 pm

Yeah looks like this is Australia’s to lose now - can’t see India chasing much over 200, the selection of Yadav over Jadeja a real error and one that is to probably cost them this game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:07 pm

Pretty much 90/10 in Australia's favour. India's hopes rely on a sensational first hour, and Kohli delivering most of the runs in the second knock. You'd expect Australia to set the Indians over 275 and then stroll to victory.

Sets things up for Melbourne neatly. What's that? 2/5 on an Australian win? Deary me.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Yeah looks like this is Australia’s to lose now - can’t see India chasing much over 200, the selection of Yadav over Jadeja a real error and one that is to probably cost them this game

Yeah again. Seems likely that my man Finchy will be able to bat tomorrow which is a handy plus for the home side. Even if Lyon doesn't clean up when Australia bowl, I expect him to keep it tight allowing the seamers to rotate for best effect.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 16 Dec 2018, 5:44 pm

Think unless there is a sensational first session for India tomorrow, this one is done and dusted. A project started by Kohli-Shastri is being very well finished by Lyon and Australia. Not sure the Australian lower order will just give in easily. Yes they did have a bit of a collapse in the first innings, but even then Cummins did his job pretty well Also, the collapse happened against a much newer ball. The 2nd new ball is not available for another 32 overs for the Indians. And if Australia bat that much, then the test anyways is well and truly gone.
Said that, I am not sure 200 will be enough for Australia. 250-300, they should feel comfortable. They are only 75 away from 250, and with 6 wickets remaining, that shouldn't be too difficult.
India would hope they can restrict Australia under 270, they might hope if 2 batsmen can play out of their skins, then there is a chance. Anything above that, they are likely not only to lose, but lose big by collapsing for less than 150.
Yes, it was yet another mighty fine innings from Kohli, but I just can't bring myself to forgive him for that stupid selection... I would actually blame the yes man coach. What on earth is Shastri doing out there other than saying yes to Kohli all the time?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 16 Dec 2018, 6:14 pm

I don’t see Australia being favourites at all. Lyon got 5 wickets but three cheap tailenders and Pant hitting out. Hardly a sign of great bowling

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 16 Dec 2018, 7:59 pm

Lyon could have had quite a few on day 2, he bowled very well for no wickets. He kept troubling the batsman, and gave absolutely nothing away. Then he got the important wicket of Rahane that set up the day for Australia before he beat the quicks to India's tailend offerings! Just rewards for a day of excellent work that went unrewarded.
And in the 4th innings, I do expect him to be an important factor yet again, but the quicks are getting something out of the track consistently, and the bounce is going to be even more inconsistent as we go along.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 16 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

I must be the only one giving India a chance. Agree Australia are favourites ; but if they lose a wicket early on resumption they could still be knocked over pretty quickly and leave India under 250 to chase...not impossible , surely ? Lyon may indeed be the key but I am not sure that this pitch is suitable for him to wreck the innings unless batsmen get too impatient.
Will wait and see what Australia score .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 16 Dec 2018, 11:39 pm

Totally agree Alfie. Australia is in a precarious position. If they lose wickets early then surely India will successfully chase 200... 250 about 50-50. Australia need at least a 275 run lead... 300 would be better to work with but I'm not at all confident they will get anywhere near that.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 4:33 am

Fine session for the home team ...Paine and Khawaja may be travelling slowly ; but they're taking the game away from India over by over...

At 233 on it is probably too early to say "game over" - the new ball is due after lunch ; but it is certainly looking like a challenging fourth innings target for India.

Suppose if they keep batting like this the question of when to declare comes into it ? I'm at work so haven't seen anything but after a wicketless session one might assume the pitch is not unplayable ; so they'll want to give themselves time to bowl India out. Not that they'll be planning to pull out just yet , of course - but another hour and a half and it becomes a consideration ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Dec 2018, 6:46 am

This one is all but a formality now - Kohli could get a 150 and I doubt the rest will get enough between them. Good performance by the Aussies to win this game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 17 Dec 2018, 7:08 am

Brillaint effort by Shami and Bumrah....horrible from Yadav......he seems not like one you can pull out of the cold and expect to hit top speed and control

He's down 10kph on speed and lacking control......if not Jadeja, they should have picked Bhuvi...horrible, horrible selection costs India the game...barring some superhuman effort of a 100 in each inning from Kohli...and even that might not be enough to get to 280
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 17 Dec 2018, 7:40 am

Well we will never know if selection cost the game, seems like a weak excuse to me, the lineup chosen is not that ridiculous. Also its not lost yet either!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:05 am

KP_fan wrote:Brillaint effort by Shami and Bumrah....horrible from Yadav......he seems not like one you can pull out of the cold and expect to hit top speed and control

He's down 10kph on speed and lacking control......if not Jadeja, they should have picked Bhuvi...horrible, horrible selection costs India the game...barring some superhuman effort of a 100 in each inning from Kohli...and even that might not be enough to get to 280

Well I did think prior to the match that either Bhuvi or Jadeja were better choices than Yadav...but in fairness he had rather a good game here on the last tour , did he not ? They were perhaps a little too focused on a pace barrage. Even so : it will be the (lack of) top order batting more than anything that loses them the match , surely ? Can't be two down for nothing in both innings and expect to prosper...

Plus Australia have played this one pretty well , and made sure the advantage of winning the toss wasn't wasted.

Not that the game is quite over yet , either. Yes Australia are right on top ; but a couple of solid partnerships could still keep it interesting tomorrow. And Kohli is still there at the moment.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:11 am

There will be the usual excitement that seems to accompany all fourth-innings run chases before India succumb to defeat. Be nice to have a close finish, though. 'Bout time we had another Test tie.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:13 am

Game certainly moved on this afternoon , eh ? Pitch apparently showed its fangs at last and Australia lost , what , five for about ten runs ? At that point it looked like 250 tops to win...while Ed Cowan was advocating an immediate declaration to make sure neither Starc nor Hazlewood got hurt !
That last wicket stand really hurt the tourists , I imagine . 287 seems a very different beast to chase. I am not a believer in "momentum" in general - think it is an overdone theory - but in a case like this it must have had some effect on both sides...credit to the two pace men for standing up with the bat ! And then starting off with the ball...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:18 am

Well that should be the game ! Lyon with the big wicket of Kohli clap

Can't see India getting anywhere near now.

Should set up the Boxing Test nicely at one all thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:21 am

VTR wrote:Well we will never know if selection cost the game, seems like a weak excuse to me, the lineup chosen is not that ridiculous. Also its not lost yet either!

Its likely to be fairly close as things stand but the selection of Yadav is a clear point of difference.
Lyon has shown that spin can be a very effective weapon in this game, and Indias tail was badly exposed. Jadeja wouldve given India stronger bowling options and batting.
If they loose by 20-30 runs then thats the one clear point of difference that couldve been made. Of course you can never say a win or a loss is solely down to one thing, or be certain that the selection would have bought a different outcome ...but picking Yadav was odd, pretty much all the pundits and armchair experts (us) where puzzled by the choice. hes not that good a bowler, offers nothing significant that they didnt already have in the side, has shown no form on tour (1/113), and is yet another who cant bat. Its a selection thats genuinely hard to justify even if its felt this would be a pacers pitch.

They could still win of too yes. But it looks like Aus are massive favourites after the three early wickets, and with Indias slow scoring rate they will likely have to face a second new ball to get the required runs. If they do pull it off then Australia really will be in for some stick, and short on options to strengthen the side, but it looks like it will be their turn to get the fans backlash.

Rahul surely will be gone for the next test irrespective of the result, Vijay has a chance to buy himself a life.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:46 am

alfie wrote:  Even so : it will be the (lack of) top order batting more than anything that loses them the match , surely ? Can't be two down for nothing in both innings and expect to prosper...

Well England have managed to get to number two in the world without any of their top 3 batsmen averaging above 30 in the last couple of years.

The difference of course is that England dont then have Shami in at 8, typically they have someone at 10 who can bat better than him. You also cited the last wicket stand for Aus as a point of difference in this game, Indias tail just arent going to do that. KPF is advocating for Bhuvi because he can hold the bat, if theyd really been fixed on a fourth seamer then he wouldnt have left their lower order quite so weak (although I personally feel his bowling would be exposed on these pitches in the same way Englands was )

But yes absolutely the Yadav selection is not the only issue India face, but its one that theres something they have control over. Shaws injury robbed them of their number one option, and really their just wasn't any other sensible selections available. Rahul and Vijay are both performing below their ability, but they are also facing Starc Hazelwood and Cummins who have pretty fine records against any openers. Vijay certainly seemed to have made a case for selection with a century in the warm up. You could also look to Indias lack of a genuine pace bowler, but again they can only select from players who exist.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:52 am

Vijay didn't do much to earn himself a lifeline...neither opener really could complain if he is ditched for Test Three and one certainly will be assuming the New Young Star is fit to play...

India do need to get their batting lineup right as they're always going to have a fairly dodgy 9-11 . Think they can improve both batting and bowling for Melbourne as long as they don't panic. Guess Vihari now has a chance to stake his claim to a spot for Boxing Day.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 9:21 am

To respond to the Goose points :

When I mentioned top order batting I was actually meaning the specific events of this game rather than a general comment on the makeup of the Indian team : the difference between India (2 out for less than ten , twice ) and Australia with one big opening stand and one less so but still a lot more than India's is certainly the main difference in the match.
It is also true that opening the batting here is tricky for batsmen raised on very different pitches overseas. (Except SA) but that is another issue.
You mention India's "lack of a genuine pace bowler " ? I'd have thought their bowling in this match - notably the middle session today ! - would suggest that is the least of their problems...
And oddly enough that last wicket partnership was the only thing that elevated Australia's "tail" above India's in this match so far...I don't count Cummins as a tailender ...and but for Starc and Hazlewood's heroics their last few wickets had contributed nothing in this game : but yes , the Australian tail is generally a lot more able .

They have missed Ashwin.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 9:40 am

Ed Cowan was saying earlier that if Kohli failed India wouldn't make a hundred...at 99/5 I think he'd agree that was a slight overstatement . But it looks likely to be an early finish tomorrow (unless they grab a couple more quickly and claim the extra half hour)

Part of me regrets Kohli didn't get going so we had a contest going on day five ...but generally I think this match is a feather in the Tim Paine cap and due reward for his determination in the face of adversity : delighted to see a bit of success after all the troubles of recent times thumbsup

But if anyone thinks one game means all Australia's problems have disappeared , they're nuts...plenty still to work on. And this series could go anywhere from here...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next