The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread

+39
lostinwales
ebop
Gooseberry
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Soul Requiem
Rinsure
robbo277
majesticimperialman
Hoonercat
Poorfour
bluestonevedder
bsando
Yoda
Maine man
TightHEAD
Collapse2005
Rugby Fan
EnglishReign
Taylorman
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
carpet baboon
Presuming Ed
Cyril
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
chris_501
munkian
No9
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
maestegmafia
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Pie
43 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 15 Empty Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Guest Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:41 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES’ 2019 RWC SQUAD:

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Last edited by miaow on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Aug 2019, 8:25 pm

The Oracle wrote:Wales v Ireland at the 2011 World Cup has just started on S4C! Nice evening entertainment!

That was some game

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Aug 2019, 8:35 pm

Those were the days. Jamie Roberts still with a bit of pace and also ‘crash ball’ still being a thing. Mike Phillips at his angry best. Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones at prop. Faletau young and not injury prone. Warburton being a real mongrel. George North all young and unpredictable. Shane Williams with the magic feet on the other wing. Connor Murray with hair like Bruce Lee......!

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Yes the player drain is hitting all three teams now, you dont actually think its actually because youre actually getting any better, do you?

After this world cup, you name it, theyre leaving. Who's leaving from the northern sides to play elsewhere?

Loads of players leave our countries to play in England and France too. Nothing we can do about it and there’s nothing France England or Japans clubs are going to do about it either.

Rugby as we knew it is lost to its financiers.

Yes thats why its important neither England nor France don't win it. Besides hoarding everyone elses players they take the main event? Nah. Encouraging that would ruin the tournament, given the obvious pressures clubs are placing on overseas players not to play for their country.

Feel free to start a thread on the subject Taylor, it is an interesting point worthy of discussion

But let’s return this thread to pre RWC welsh Rugby.

How’s it being number 2 in the rankings? We really enjoyed it, until we became number one.

What’s your thoughts ya ha ha

Hardly noticed it here and whats funny over the last couple of years is there was first England that was the one to beat, then they fell off badly, then it was Ireland, taking up what 8 or 9 in a world xv, so called depth to burn, now look at them.

But in the end it was Wales! Bit like the tortoise and the hare where the others fell off for Wales to sneak through and pip them all king

I think the Wales Ireland clashes will put the Wales and Ireland England clashes into context but there seems to be a huge dependency on both Wales and Ireland being at home in order to win well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:19 pm

The Oracle wrote:Those were the days. Jamie Roberts still with a bit of pace and also ‘crash ball’ still being a thing. Mike Phillips at his angry best. Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones at prop. Faletau young and not injury prone. Warburton being a real mongrel. George North all young and unpredictable. Shane Williams with the magic feet on the other wing. Connor Murray with hair like Bruce Lee......!

Did like Williams, reminds a bit of Campo and Damian McKenzie rolled into one.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

I expect a lot of Welsh changes for the Wales v Ireland games, Taylorman. We can’t do 4 warm ups with full strength teams as we run the risk of losing even more first choice players to injury. Too much risk for little reward. So I think we’ll rotate. We’re down to just Dan Biggar at 10 so we need to protect him. And we have others at 10 (e.g. Jarrod Evans) who are untested properly at this level. So I’d like to see them come in, but then I’m not expecting us to be at our best if we rotate heavily. Sounds like getting the excuses in early, but any result featuring a heavily rotated team then needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

On your points about teams coming and going. I think NZ are a bit of an anomaly in sport, being so dominant for so long. In most sports you get teams being at the top, getting knocked off, coming back, etc. It goes in cycles. Rarely do you get a team doing what the All Blacks do and just dip ever so slightly but generally just keep right at the top. Very rare. So enjoy it! But don’t belittle the others for being up and down as that is just, well....... normal! The other SH teams have been up and down too. Not massively, but over the years Oz and SA have been right up there but have had many times of decline. No different to the NH with France beng up and down since as long as I’ve been watching rugby. England, some very high highs and some barren years. Wales, up (but not too high) and down like a hooker’s drawers! Ireland up high in recent years and then a bit of a dip. The abnormal thing is AB consistency! You wierdos!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:36 pm

Taylorman wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Those were the days. Jamie Roberts still with a bit of pace and also ‘crash ball’ still being a thing. Mike Phillips at his angry best. Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones at prop. Faletau young and not injury prone. Warburton being a real mongrel. George North all young and unpredictable. Shane Williams with the magic feet on the other wing. Connor Murray with hair like Bruce Lee......!

Did like Williams, reminds a bit of Campo and Damian McKenzie rolled into one.

Williams is up there as my favourite player ever, I think. Just created so much as well as being a very good finisher. Not the best defender but tried his best, bless him! One of those players that genuinely got me out of my seat (stadium, at home, pub) when he got the ball in space. Plus, I love rugby when it’s not all big lads all the same size like rugby league. Love seeing tiny fast players skinning big fat props, and then big fat props bulldozing through those tiny players later in the game! Getting to see less and less of that these days unfortunately.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:54 pm

Yep they add a marked contrast to the games tough side. Small seems to be reserved for 9's these days as we go for big midfielders and back three players. Wales have had a few like that...Bennett, J Davies, Williams but theyre too few and far between as they get weeded out early with less in the physicality stakes, but the few that do get through are usually very classy.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:55 pm

What happend to Gethin Jenkins? Is he a coach now? or has he retired from the game all together?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Aug 2019, 10:06 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:What happend to Gethin Jenkins? Is he a coach now? or has he retired from the game all together?

Retired last year. Yep, doing some club coaching now.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 8:52 am

Regarding looseheads it’s good to remember that Rob Evans is only 27 and Nicky Smith two years younger. They have both made very good starts to their careers but if looked after correctly then both should have another RWC in them at least. Still to see what Rhys Carre can offer he’s only 21.

On the Tighthead side we have Lee who’s 26 and Francis who’s 27 as well as the younger Leon Brown 22 and Dillon Lewis 23.

Elliott Dee is developing well as a replacement in the future for Cannonball, below that, not in the squad yet we have the very impressive Dewi Lake who captained the U20s this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 12:10 pm

It’s getting harder to know who our best team available is.

Who do we want to see vs Ireland?

I would have thought we all can agree that we want to see the other flyhalf options get game time, likewise centres and number 8.

Ireland are sure to come out as a very changed side to who appeared in Twickenham last week, we all know Ireland are a far better team than the result showed.

The conundrum being that despite wanting to see the larger squad, we also want to keep working on our set piece.

We also don’t want to select a team that is devoid of key leadership characters too.

We need to mix and match. Injuries and recovery still an aspect of selection.

Injury List as far as I can tell seems to be:-

Rob Evans
Samson Lee
James Davies
Justin Tipuric
Thomas Williams
Scott Williams
Liam Williams

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 1:45 pm

Apparently this is our probable XV vs Ireland this weekend.

Wales

15 Hallam Amos

14 Owen Lane

13 Scott Williams

12 Owen Watkin

11 Steff Evans

10 Jarrod Evans

9 Aled Davies

1 Rhys Carre

2 Ryan Elias

3 Samson Lee

4 Jake Ball

5 Bradley Davies

6 Aaron Shingler

8 Josh Navidi (capt)

7 James Davies

According to the Irish Mirror newspaper

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 26 Aug 2019, 1:46 pm

Thats basically a B team with Navidi and one or two others?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 1:52 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Thats basically a B team with Navidi and one or two others?

Navidi is likely the only first team guy in the side. I’m not surprised at this and I have read that Gatland and Schmidt have been in discussion about this game for a long time about what they want to get out of it. I would expect Ireland to be picking something a little stronger.

This isn’t a bad team it will be very interesting to see what they can achieve.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 26 Aug 2019, 2:39 pm

What position would Navidi play in a full strength team. Looks like a few players in that lineup who may not make the 31.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 3:35 pm

LondonTiger wrote:What position would Navidi play in a full strength team. Looks like a few players in that lineup who may not make the 31.

Debatable at the moment whether he would be in or not. Wainwright has been exceptional at blindside, Shingler starting to regain form too. Moriarty and Tipuric cover the open side and number eight slots.

You really don’t envy international coaches of any of the top ten nations at the moment. Selection is not easy.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 26 Aug 2019, 4:18 pm

LondonTiger wrote:What position would Navidi play in a full strength team. Looks like a few players in that lineup who may not make the 31.

Which is why you'd want to be playing them, last chance saloon and all. Schmidt will want to get a good win from this match so it plays into Gats hand in wanting to test how deep his side can go.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 4:58 pm

Taylorman wrote:

Which is why you'd want to be playing them, last chance saloon and all. Schmidt will want to get a good win from this match so it plays into Gats hand in wanting to test how deep his side can go.

I don’t think the welsh public expect to see a score one like last weeks game at Twickenham. More a close game by a very resurgent Irish team he’ll bent on proving themselves.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 26 Aug 2019, 7:28 pm

I do expect Ireland to bounce back this week against Wales, They will be eager to prove that they was having a off day last week. It will come down to how Wales play as well. will Wales show Ireland they are not number 1 in the world for nothing.

I guess it depends on how strong a team each team puts out.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 26 Aug 2019, 8:01 pm

Shingler at 6 and Navidi at 8 would be my first choice, with Tips at 7. You can consider this game lost with Aled at 9. Just give up Gats he’s not pro standard. Apart from that it’s a good enough team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 26 Aug 2019, 8:40 pm

maestegmafia wrote:It’s getting harder to know who our best team available is.

Who do we want to see vs Ireland?

I would have thought we all can agree that we want to see the other flyhalf options get game time, likewise centres and number 8.

Ireland are sure to come out as a very changed side to who appeared in Twickenham last week, we all know Ireland are a far better team than the result showed.

The conundrum being that despite wanting to see the larger squad, we also want to keep working on our set piece.

We also don’t want to select a team that is devoid of key leadership characters too.

We need to mix and match. Injuries and recovery still an aspect of selection.

Injury List as far as I can tell seems to be:-

Rob Evans
Samson Lee
James Davies
Justin Tipuric
Thomas Williams
Scott Williams
Liam Williams

Yeah in spite of the pretentious accusations from some, I’d say there are a few question marks over who our first XV/23 is. Any news on how severe the injuries to those guys are? If we are picking that team then it would require a strong, more experienced bench.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 8:49 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I do expect Ireland to bounce back this week against Wales, They will be eager to prove that they was having a off day last week. It will come down to how Wales play as well. will Wales show Ireland they are not number 1 in the world for nothing.

If Ireland show that they had an off day last week that’s not great news for England. Takes the colour off your huge points margin. I thought you would be clamouring for wales to thrash Ireland too to show last weeks result proved what a brilliant team England currently are?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 26 Aug 2019, 9:03 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I do expect Ireland to bounce back this week against Wales, They will be eager to prove that they was having a off day last week. It will come down to how Wales play as well. will Wales show Ireland they are not number 1 in the world for nothing.

If Ireland show that they had an off day last week that’s not great news for England. Takes the colour off your huge points margin. I thought you would be clamouring for wales to thrash Ireland too to show last weeks result proved what a brilliant team England currently are?
maestegmafia.

I do wish Wales would thrash Ireland, but in all honesty i cannot see that happening. Ireland played a very strong team minus Sexton, and came up short, very short. But if Ireland play the same team against Wales, i would be very surprised if Wales do thrash Ireland.

England did play the best rugby i have seen from an England team in a long time. And Ireland was way off the mark.

Will Wales win, they are at home, home advantage should play in to Wales hand's but like i said it depends on the team both sides put out on the day.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Aug 2019, 9:43 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

maestegmafia.

I do wish Wales would thrash Ireland, but in all honesty i cannot see that happening. Ireland played a very strong team minus Sexton, and came up short, very short. But if Ireland play the same team against Wales, i would be very surprised if Wales do thrash Ireland.

England did play the best rugby i have seen from an England team in a long time. And Ireland was way off the mark.

Will Wales win, they are at home, home advantage should play in to Wales hand's but like i said it depends on the team both sides put out on the day.

I doubt wales will select their strongest team against Ireland and I think we all know Ireland will be in much better stead this week.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 27 Aug 2019, 9:44 am

Ireland are going to be angry with last weeks performance.

If it’s the probable team taking the field it could be a long afternoon for Wales. But it’s only a warm up and doesn’t mean anything in the grand scale of things.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 9:48 am

TightHEAD wrote:Ireland are going to be angry with last weeks performance.

If it’s the probable team taking the field it could be a long afternoon for Wales. But it’s only a warm up and doesn’t mean anything in the grand scale of things.

England did really well with what many of their fans claimed was a second string side that beat Wales at Twickenham only a few weeks ago. If you give people a chance to perform then they can take that opportunity and exceed as shown at HQ. Wales are likely to field a similar strength team at home to Ireland this weekend, is there a reason why we can not expect these lads to perform...?

Wales seconds, thirds and fourth choices excelled last summer beating SA and winning two tests in Argentina.

Not sure why you would state that this would be “a long afternoon for Wales”....???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 27 Aug 2019, 9:57 am

Updated World Rankings, a very even split across NH and SH. This World Cup will surely be the most competitive yet.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 15 Screen13

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:04 am

bsando wrote:Updated World Rankings, a very even split across NH and SH. This World Cup will surely be the most competitive yet.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 15 Screen13

I agree. No easy games this RWC.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:11 am

maestegmafia wrote:Apparently this is our probable XV vs Ireland this weekend.

Wales

15 Hallam Amos

14 Owen Lane

13 Scott Williams

12 Owen Watkin

11 Steff Evans

10 Jarrod Evans

9 Aled Davies

1 Rhys Carre

2 Ryan Elias

3 Samson Lee

4 Jake Ball

5 Bradley Davies

6 Aaron Shingler

8 Josh Navidi (capt)

7 James Davies

According to the Irish Mirror newspaper

Happy enough with that. I think I would've preferred Jonah Holmes to play over Steff Evans. Glad James Davies is getting another chance, if this is right. We have to give our fringe players a chance, before our squad announcement.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:14 am

That said, I wish some players like Lane had been given a chance before now, in a more settled line up.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:18 am

RiscaGame wrote:Happy enough with that. I think I would've preferred Jonah Holmes to play over Steff Evans. Glad James Davies is getting another chance, if this is right. We have to give our fringe players a chance, before our squad announcement.

I think Jonah Holmes is either still not fit or he will be bench cover for the back three. I imagine the bench to be

Ryan Elias
Wynn Jones
Leon Brown
Cory Hill
Tomas Williams
Patchell
Holmes

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:20 am

RiscaGame wrote:That said, I wish some players like Lane had been given a chance before now, in a more settled line up.

We said the same about Faletau in 2011, he worked out well made the shirt his own.

Owen Lane should be challenging Josh and George for their spots.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:34 am

Owen Lane is not a player that has crossed my radar, so would appreciate some info on what kind of player he is. Wikipedia describes him as a Centre/Wing. Is he fast? Does he have a kicking game? What are his key strengths and what would be the perceived weaknesses?

I assume (which may be silly) that Adams, Halfpenny, Noth and Williams will travel covering back 3. This leaves one or two more spots available.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 10:38 am

Here is a YouTube link to a few of his moments from last season

https://youtu.be/SjBNX8ONrOE

He is big, very quick and has good feet for dancing around players too. Another George North potentially

Reminds me of a young Adrian Hadley

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:06 am

Well, Ireland took a tuning on Saturday, there will be a backlash this weekend, no doubt about it. There is a lot of chest thumping coming from the English contingent on this forum, and across social media as a whole.

Wales need to be on their game this weekend, Ireland will be a wounded animal. With the expected team we are putting out, I can only see an Ireland win, but lets hope the players give good accounts of themselves.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:18 am

LordDowlais wrote:Well, Ireland took a tuning on Saturday, there will be a backlash this weekend, no doubt about it. There is a lot of chest thumping coming from the English contingent on this forum, and across social media as a whole.

Wales need to be on their game this weekend, Ireland will be a wounded animal. With the expected team we are putting out, I can only see an Ireland win, but lets hope the players give good accounts of themselves.

Rightly so, I'd say!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:20 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Well, Ireland took a tuning on Saturday, there will be a backlash this weekend, no doubt about it. There is a lot of chest thumping coming from the English contingent on this forum, and across social media as a whole.

Rightly so, I'd say!

Definitely, they just have to be consistent and repeat the level of performance on a regular basis.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:21 am

Yeah Ireland might win.  But expecting an Irish win in Cardiff, against the top side in the World...after Ireland's damp squib 6N, their crap first warm up against Italy, their thrashing by England?

You could only ever have that belief if you believed Ireland have been faking form.  If Ireland are playing it honest since January, I don't care who Gats sends out or who Schmidt sends out (it is not individual players that win these encounters but systems that are coached)... Ireland won't have enough to beat this Gatland produced side.

Ireland will only win if they've been bluffing because they'll only win if the coaches tighten up the straps in all areas as they already know is needed.  They haven't become rookie coaches.  They know the levels needed to even attempt parity, and Ireland haven't been close to these levels since the end of last year.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:32 am

SecretFly wrote:Yeah Ireland might win.  But expecting an Irish win in Cardiff, against the top side in the World...after Ireland's damp squib 6N, their crap first warm up against Italy, their thrashing by England?

You could only ever have that belief if you believed Ireland have been faking form.  If Ireland are playing it honest since January, I don't care who Gats sends out or who Schmidt sends out (it is not individual players that win these encounters but systems that are coached)... Ireland won't have enough to beat this Gatland produced side.

Ireland will only win if they've been bluffing because they'll only win if the coaches tighten up the straps in all areas as they already know is needed.  They haven't become rookie coaches.  They know the levels needed to even attempt parity, and Ireland haven't been close to these levels since the end of last year.

I don’t disagree that Ireland’s performance downturn is a bit bizarre to say the least. But if they really are keeping their best locked away, won’t they just save the good stuff for the games that count?

A run around in Cardiff against the welsh AlsoRans is hardly the time to peak performance...!

I pay very little heed to the warm up games. The coaches of both teams are in collusion, they have been discussing their objectives for months together.

These games are merely training park matches in front of a baying crowd.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:43 am

To say I am looking forward to this game is an understatement, and I am not even expecting a win.... Very Happy

I cannot wait to see Navidi as captain, he deserves it, and I cannot wait to see what the likes of Owen Lane gives on an international level, he deserves his chance.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 12:15 pm

LordDowlais wrote:To say I am looking forward to this game is an understatement, and I am not even expecting a win.... Very Happy

I cannot wait to see Navidi as captain, he deserves it, and I cannot wait to see what the likes of Owen Lane gives on an international level, he deserves his chance.

James Davies, Lane, Jarrod Evans are great prospects for me... I really hope they show their best, as they all can be such exciting players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 27 Aug 2019, 12:33 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:To say I am looking forward to this game is an understatement, and I am not even expecting a win.... Very Happy

James Davies, Lane, Jarrod Evans are great prospects for me... I really hope they show their best, as they all can be such exciting players.

I thought James Davies was injured ? I hope he is OK and starts on Saturday. Also, I would like to see a combination of Tomos Williams and Jarod Evans on Saturday.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 12:36 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I thought James Davies was injured ? I hope he is OK and starts on Saturday. Also, I would like to see a combination of Tomos Williams and Jarod Evans on Saturday.

Me too, that would be a great halfback pairing but I think TW is still injured.

JD was just an hia

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 27 Aug 2019, 1:27 pm

The Irish press are reporting that Scott Williams, Samson Lee, and Rhys Carre are going to start on Saturday, Jarrod Evans is another young man set for a day to remember this weekend.

I think that Gatland might have some sort of deal with Schmidt about what teams to field over this next two weeks.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 1:44 pm

LordDowlais wrote:The Irish press are reporting that Scott Williams, Samson Lee, and Rhys Carre are going to start on Saturday, Jarrod Evans is another young man set for a day to remember this weekend.

I think that Gatland might have some sort of deal with Schmidt about what teams to field over this next two weeks.

Gatland mentioned in an interview a few weeks ago that he had been in discussions with Eddie Kones about the second match in Cardiff and with Schmidt about the two Ireland tests.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 27 Aug 2019, 2:08 pm

Didn't Schmidt renege on his deal before the last world cup ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 2:28 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Didn't Schmidt renege on his deal before the last world cup ?

Maybe, I can’t remember but I’m pretty sure it was one a piece last time. Since the result last weekend he may go back on whatever was agreed, then again he may not.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 27 Aug 2019, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

Looking at the matches Ireland won at the MS with a side that was mainly second string with some first string players (Wales mainly second string).

3 weeks later Wales won in Dublin with close to a full strength side against a team that was mainly first string with a smattering of second string.

Only Gats and Schmidt know if any deal was reneged upon, but if it was why would Gats bothering agreeing selection policy this time round?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 2:56 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Looking at the matches Ireland won at the MS with a side that was mainly second string with some first string players (Wales mainly second string).

3 weeks later Wales won in Dublin with close to a full strength side against a team that was mainly first string with a smattering of second string.

Only Gats and Schmidt know if any deal was reneged upon, but if it was why would Gats bothering agreeing selection policy this time round?

From what I have read they are good mates. Likewise with Eddie Jones, don’t they go out for a meal before big games for a catch up?

It’s certainly nice to think they are all mates that they are trying to raise the chances of our nation’s at the RWC collectively.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Aug 2019, 3:00 pm

Eddie and Gats had a curry in London on the Friday before the Sunday game. Eddie stated they talked about "things" (probably how good his dog is at selections?) but there was no discussions about team selections.

Schmidt is generally pretty quiet to the press, but Gats and Eddie are similar in that they talk a lot, often it seems on the surface garbage, but always designed to deflect pressure from their players.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next