The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread

+38
lostinwales
Gooseberry
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Soul Requiem
Rinsure
robbo277
majesticimperialman
Hoonercat
Poorfour
bluestonevedder
bsando
Yoda
Maine man
TightHEAD
Collapse2005
Rugby Fan
EnglishReign
Taylorman
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
carpet baboon
Presuming Ed
Cyril
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
chris_501
munkian
No9
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
maestegmafia
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Pie
42 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 16 Empty Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Guest Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:41 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES’ 2019 RWC SQUAD:

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Last edited by miaow on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 3:37 pm

We will likely never knows what goes on behind the scenes. But out of England, Wales and Ireland’s pre RWC Games I hope that the three nations will benefit from the wins or losses going into the tournament.

We are still only half way through the pre RWC process, england are near the end Ireland still near the beginning. The results of the encounters show that.

Each team will have different points where their respective coaching teams are trying to get them to peak and in different ways.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 27 Aug 2019, 11:03 pm

Apparently the Ireland team is likely to be

Kilcoyne
Scannell
Porter
Ryan
Toner
VD Flier
O’Donnelly
Conan
Murray
Clarty
Stockdale
Henshall
Ringrose
Earls (fitness doubt)
Larmour

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 7:11 am

WOL have their lowdown on the squad selections around the periphery. Not too many surprise opinions, some interesting points. An interesting read none the less..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-team-ireland-saturday-16823398

Spoiler Alert Below

ALED DAVIES

He is going to the World Cup. The question is what position in the pecking order he will travel as.

There are some who believe he is now pressuring Gareth Davies for the number one scrum-half spot. We should learn more on that front against Ireland.

But the Osprey does seem to have picked up his game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:14 am

I don’t dislike Aled Davies to the same extent that Mikey does (he really hates him!), but I’m really not a fan. Just think he makes too many mistakes for a top class international 9. Unfortunately Gareth Davies is not quite as good as he once was. Hope he can get back there but I’m not convinced. I’d still start GD over AD for the World Cup though. GD just offers far more sniping threat than AD, for me. That try vs England at Twickenham a few weeks back was not a fluke. It was almost trademark for him. And that keeps the opposition numbers in and around the ruck (if they’re wise to it) which creates space elsewhere. And if they’re not wise to it..... well, that’s a try or two for us potentially!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:21 am

The Oracle wrote:I don’t dislike Aled Davies to the same extent that Mikey does (he really hates him!), but I’m really not a fan. Just think he makes too many mistakes for a top class international 9. Unfortunately Gareth Davies is not quite as good as he once was. Hope he can get back there but I’m not convinced. I’d still start GD over AD for the World Cup though. GD just offers far more sniping threat than AD, for me. That try vs England at Twickenham a few weeks back was not a fluke. It was almost trademark for him. And that keeps the opposition numbers in and around the ruck (if they’re wise to it) which creates space elsewhere. And if they’re not wise to it..... well, that’s a try or two for us potentially!

I agree it sure keeps the opposition honest when they know that your scrumhalf can beat six defenders and score from the halfway line at a scrum.

I didn’t used to mind Aled too much but since I’ve seen more of him last season at the Ospreys he has diminished in my opinions. Too ponderous...!

I really hope Tomas Williams gets fit as he looks electric

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2019, 11:27 am

It's a shame young Tomos Williams got himself injured.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 1:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It's a shame young Tomos Williams got himself injured.

He’s still with the squad as far as I know.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:02 pm

wales are going to review their 60 cap rule after the world cup, and perhaps set the criteria on how many times they have represented their region:-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-team-60-cap-16827008

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:05 pm

LordDowlais wrote:wales are going to review their 60 cap rule after the world cup, and perhaps set the criteria on how many times they have represented their region:-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-team-60-cap-16827008

Interesting thought.

Apparently all the SH teams including NZ are doing the same as everyone is losing so many players to England, France and Japan’s leagues.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:09 pm

It makes a lot more sense. Also, the rules around Rhys Carre are interesting, uncapped and signed for Sarries at a young age, but the conundrum for Wales is, if they do not cap him, by the time he is 23/24 he would be eligible for England, so the need to tie players down, when you have a small player pool is key.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:13 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It makes a lot more sense. Also, the rules around Rhys Carre are interesting, uncapped and signed for Sarries at a young age, but the conundrum for Wales is, if they do not cap him, by the time he is 23/24 he would be eligible for England, so the need to tie players down, when you have a small player pool is key.

I think he’ll get a cap this weekend

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:22 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:It makes a lot more sense. Also, the rules around Rhys Carre are interesting, uncapped and signed for Sarries at a young age, but the conundrum for Wales is, if they do not cap him, by the time he is 23/24 he would be eligible for England, so the need to tie players down, when you have a small player pool is key.

I think he’ll get a cap this weekend

Yes, he probably will, but he was offered a contract, but chose to move to Saracens, but he does not come under the same rules as Webb as he has not been capped, but as we only have a small playing pool, we have no choice but to cap him, or risk losing him to England.

This is very unfair on Rhys Webb, who in all honesty, is the best scrum half we have.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:24 pm

He is already qualified for England (and Scotland) due to his Guernsey born Grandfather. But only till Saturday.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:36 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

He is already qualified for England (and Scotland) due to his Guernsey born Grandfather. But only till Saturday.

The old Guernsey Grandfather trick eh..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 28 Aug 2019, 2:46 pm

Wherever his grandfather was born, it's double standards by the WRU, and because of this they are now changing their own rules, I bet Rhys Webb will be fuming, and if he turned around and stuck two fingers up at the WRU I wouldn't blame him. Although I doubt he will.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 28 Aug 2019, 3:08 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Wherever his grandfather was born, it's double standards by the WRU, and because of this they are now changing their own rules, I bet Rhys Webb will be fuming, and if he turned around and stuck two fingers up at the WRU I wouldn't blame him. Although I doubt he will.

I agree with you. Always felt Webb was hard done by having signed the contract before the rule was announced.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 28 Aug 2019, 3:20 pm

By one week!

Where is the ‘shoot yourself in the foot’ emoji 😂

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 28 Aug 2019, 3:50 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Wherever his grandfather was born, it's double standards by the WRU, and because of this they are now changing their own rules, I bet Rhys Webb will be fuming, and if he turned around and stuck two fingers up at the WRU I wouldn't blame him. Although I doubt he will.

I haven’t any idea whether Webb is angry or not. Great that if the rules change then he can resume his international career

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:09 am

Team to play Ireland 14 changes only James Davies keeps his place.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:11 am

Carre
Elias
Lee
Brad
Beard
Shingler
Davies
Navidi
Aled
Jarrod
Owen
Owen
Scott
Steff
Hallam

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:12 am

Bench is

Dee
Rob
Leon
Ball
Ross
Tomas
Patchell
Jonah

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:17 am

Good to see Rob Evans, Samson Lee and Tomos Williams fit to take their place in the 23. I don't really understand why Williams isn't starting, if he's fit. Bit worrying not to see Cory Hill again.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:21 am

RiscaGame wrote:Good to see Rob Evans, Samson Lee and Tomos Williams fit to take their place in the 23. I don't really understand why Williams isn't starting, if he's fit. Bit worrying not to see Cory Hill again.

Apparently Gatland wants to give Aled Davies the chance to redeem himself in MikeyDragons eyes. Apparently after the match that systems guys are going to read through the thread and if MD praises Aled he’s in.

Unfortunately for Aled, he’s been told that if MD does feel the need to criticise his Scrumhalfery this weekend then he’ll be dropped or worse..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:24 am

This is more than likely the Ireland team:

Will Addison; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; James Ryan, Iain Henderson; Tadhg Beirne, Peter O’Mahony (capt), Jack Conan.
Replacements: Andrew Porter, Rory Best, Tadhg Furlong, Devin Toner, Jordi Murphy, Luke McGrath, Ross Byrne, Garry Ringrose.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:30 am

I am very excited to see this team play on Saturday, but I must say though, Ireland will never have a better chance to claim the top spot in the world rankings.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:39 am

Its a decent Ireland team so a good performance is required.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 29 Aug 2019, 12:00 pm

Oh heck. Aled Davies isn't getting the nod now then MM.

Big weekend for both Adam Beard and Bradley Davies. There is a fair chance that Beard has fallen to fourth choice lock, after the two England games. Hopefully our backline can get going, as Evans has been pretty good at playing flat and bringing players in for Cardiff, hasn't he? I am sure Aki will be running at him too.

If that is the Ireland team, then to be honest I would expect them to win (especially with that bench). Hopefully the referee will keep a keen eye on jackalling on elbows, with both POM and Beirne in the backrow.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Aug 2019, 1:36 pm

That team has got the feel of the sort of team we put out for the ‘lesser’ AI game. Completely new team, no established combinations, suddenly thrust together and told to go out and perform. It’s such a tough ask and as we’ve seen plenty of times over the years we either come unstuck or very nearly. So difficult to perform new moves and plays with new people, at a high pace and intensity than in the league, all with an eye on trying to impress enough to make the final World Cup squad. Just hope we don’t try too hard and force things.

I know we have to rotate and give players game time. The warm ups are absolutely necessary. But I think it could be a long afternoon.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 1:47 pm

https://www.606v2.com/t69018-wales-vs-ireland-31st-of-august-match-thread#3835931

So welsh and Irish posters can keep their individual PR-RWC threads clean here’s a match day thread link.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 29 Aug 2019, 5:46 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Good to see Rob Evans, Samson Lee and Tomos Williams fit to take their place in the 23. I don't really understand why Williams isn't starting, if he's fit. Bit worrying not to see Cory Hill again.

Apparently Gatland wants to give Aled Davies the chance to redeem himself in MikeyDragons eyes. Apparently after the match that systems guys are going to read through the thread and if MD praises Aled he’s in.

Unfortunately for Aled, he’s been told that if MD does feel the need to criticise his Scrumhalfery this weekend then he’ll be dropped or worse..

Strange, it’s usually Joe Schmidt analyzing my comments for hints and tips, not Gats. Glad I’m not the only one who can see Aled Davies isn’t pro standard anyway, I called it 5 years ago when he somehow became a regular for Scarlets.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 29 Aug 2019, 9:25 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Strange, it’s usually Joe Schmidt analyzing my comments for hints and tips, not Gats. Glad I’m not the only one who can see Aled Davies isn’t pro standard anyway, I called it 5 years ago when he somehow became a regular for Scarlets.

I don’t disagree with your disdain for his laborious ways but I hope he proves us completely and utterly wrong...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:31 pm

Well I think Patchell goes ahead of Evans, he can play in a number of positions so he is a bigger benefit to the squad.

That might see Lane get in ahead of Amos...? Be a tough call but he looked like a good player. Tough call between those two.

I’d take James Davies if we have space. But I think he will miss out.

Thought Rhys Carre did enough to get in. Brad Davies isn’t so lucky in my opinion and I think I’d choose an unfit Cory hill over him.

If Aled Davies caught flu this week and couldn’t make the tour I wouldn’t be upset. Tomas proves he is definite pushing to be first choice.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:38 pm

He could be rad and take both Patchell and Evans. After today I think James Davies, Steff Evans, Bradley Davies, Leon Brown won’t be going on tour, but they were the ones always most likely not to be selected. If Jarrod can cover 9 then I’d leave Aled at home. He simply can’t be near any professional set-up. I don’t understand, if I was that consistently poor at my job for the last 5 years then I wouldn’t have been around for that 5 years!

Not sure about Carre. Lane vs Amos is a tough call. Assuming Halfpenny is going then I think Amos would miss out as Lane showed he was the better finisher. I think we have to leave one centre at home and going by today I’m not sure who I would choose. Both looked okay and average at times.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:43 pm

The centre is a tough call for me. Probably take Scott Williams I thought he had the better game

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:51 pm

Seeing as Fox is irreplaceable at 13, it would make sense to take another 12. I know Williams has played both but it’s not his current position. I didn’t think he was good enough to be in the team before his recent injury record even though he usually shows up in the right place at the right time when playing for Wales.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:54 pm

Amos Lane a tough one and with Half going Lane able to play centre he may edge it as I dont like th way Amos gets easily shepherded into touch/5m channel and ball dies. I like Lane's dog

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:58 pm

FORWARDS

Rhys Carre (Cardiff Blues) (1 Cap)
Rob Evans (Scarlets) (35 Caps)
Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (40 Caps)
Samson Lee (Scarlets) (40 Caps)
Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (12 Caps)
Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (28 Caps)

Elliot Dee (Dragons) (18 Caps)
Ken Owens (Scarlets) (64 Caps)

Jake Ball (Scarlets) (32 Caps)
Adam Beard (Ospreys) (13 Caps)
Cory Hill (Dragons) (24 Caps)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (125 Caps)

Ross Moriarty (Dragons) (31 Caps)
Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (16 Caps)
Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) (17 Caps)
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (64 Caps)
Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (8 Caps)

BACKS

Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (41 Caps)
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (7 Caps)
Aled Davies (Ospreys) (16 Caps)

Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints) (70 Caps)
Rhys Patchell (Scarlets) (11 Caps)

Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (73 Caps)
Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets) (15 Caps)
Scott Williams (Ospreys) (57 Caps)

Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (81 Caps)
Owen Lane (Cardiff Blues) (1 Cap)
George North (Ospreys) (83 Caps)
Liam Williams (Saracens) (55 Caps)​
Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 31 Aug 2019, 4:59 pm

That is only 30 players

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:02 pm

Maybe an extra hooker then, but I think just the two went on the previous tour.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:05 pm

No way should Carre go. Brown won't go but he taught coaches a valuable lesson that an inexperienced prop can get the team in all sorts of shoite. How many pens and points did we ship directly because ref took a disliking to Brown and even penalized him the last time clearly when Irish prop folded first.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:35 pm

Pie wrote:No way should Carre go. Brown won't go but he taught coaches a valuable lesson that an inexperienced prop can get the team in all sorts of shoite. How many pens and points did we ship directly because ref took a disliking to Brown and even penalized him the last time clearly when Irish prop folded first.

I think Carre offers something a bit different to wynn Jones

Regarding today’s scrum I wouldn’t worry at all about that, we played four of our props for whom this was their first competitive scrum since last season... not an issue, plus Poite as a pedant at scrum time

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:38 pm

Polite is a pedant every time we meet him! - *cough* I mean every time he officiates an Irish game..... Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:42 pm

Wales should have been given a penalty at the first scrum. After that the Wales TH whether Lee or Brown struggled in most scrums. Thought Carre held up well, though taking a novice like him is a risk, especially if it leaves you short of cover at hooker.

Not taking James Davies could leave you light at 7, though all squads will be short on cover somewhere.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:45 pm

Tipuric, Navidi, Wainright are better open-sides than Davies IMO.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:47 pm

SecretFly wrote:Polite is a pedant every time we meet him! - *cough* I mean every time he officiates an Irish game..... Cool

He always has been. I’m not questioning what he thought was wrong, I couldn’t tell from the tv. But the fact he wasted so much of our afternoon doing it...

We want to see ball in play, players trying to get that miracle pass or dummy that gives us some excitement.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Tipuric, Navidi, Wainright are better open-sides than Davies IMO.

Tipuric is, for me, the best by some margin. While Navidi and Wainwright may well be better players than Davies I feel they are not at their best when asked to play 7.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 5:53 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Tipuric, Navidi, Wainright are better open-sides than Davies IMO.

Tipuric is, for me, the best by some margin. While Navidi and Wainwright may well be better players than Davies I feel they are not at their best when asked to play 7.

I rate Davies highly, I think he is a better seven than all but ellis and tips. But as a bigger benefit to a thirty one man squad he is a luxury... I almost think we missed a trick not taking Dais boy from wasps... as a player who is a top class u he can also play 6 and 8 well too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 31 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

Just read that Cory Hill has a fractured leg. Would like to see him make the squad but he hasn’t played since March (I think) and has missed all of the warm up games. We need him fit!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 31 Aug 2019, 6:21 pm

That’s bad news...

I heard that they thought he would be fit to play by now and it was just a foot injury?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 31 Aug 2019, 6:25 pm

Hill could still go as Gatland fave, if he is available for the first match. If he isn’t then it’s pointless taking him. I thought Dan Lydiate had been named in this squad but can’t see his name.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next