The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+18
Cornish Warrior
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
tigertattie
kingraf
TM Moot
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Forward Pass
Pr4wn
Number-25
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
skins4ever
gazzyD
twelve283
GSC
22 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I mean are we even sure Gordon isn't a one year wonder who never stuck around for his drop off season.

A lot of hype for a guy who's had more near comebacks than games played in years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Forward Pass Mon 11 Jan 2021, 11:04 pm

BamBam wrote:Browns could beat KC if the running backs have another game like that. The score at the end of the first quarter could be key, if KC start fast then I don’t think the Browns have the game to catch them, if the Browns get a lead and can start controlling the clock they have a chance
totally agree Browns have to have the lead end of first
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 12 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 15 Jan 2021, 3:41 pm

Jaguars are hiring Urban Meyer, Jets are hiring 49ers DC Robert Saleh, and the Falcons are going for Titans OC Arthur Smith.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Fri 15 Jan 2021, 8:17 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Jaguars are hiring Urban Meyer, Jets are hiring 49ers DC Robert Saleh, and the Falcons are going for Titans OC Arthur Smith.
Not sure about Meyer . Saleh looks a good hire . Smith would be A decent hire IMO
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 16 Jan 2021, 7:11 pm

Yeah I just have a feeling Meyers is not the answer... don't really know why, probably just because its the Jags!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 17 Jan 2021, 12:00 pm

I'm a bit more positive on Meyer. You can't argue with the success he's had and he's probably going to put together a really good staff. The big risks seem to be questions about the culture he creates (but Jags fans and players will probably happily sign up for hated but successful) and the real possibility that they're going to lose enough games in the first season or two to literally kill him.

In other news, remember when the Texans looked like a somewhat attractive job?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jan 2021, 2:52 am

Drew Brees throwing backbreaking INTs and playing rubbish in a home playoff loss? Imagine my surprise
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 19 Jan 2021, 6:04 am

Pretty brutal for Saints fans but Brees has looked over the hill all season.

Bucs find themselves in the NFC Champ game without us really hitting our stride in the postseason yet.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 19 Jan 2021, 9:24 pm

My goal, as a Packer fan, was simply to avoid Tampa in the playoffs this year... here's to hoping it is really cold...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Wed 20 Jan 2021, 7:17 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Jaguars are hiring Urban Meyer, Jets are hiring 49ers DC Robert Saleh, and the Falcons are going for Titans OC Arthur Smith.
Chargers are hiring Rams DC Brandon Staley, Lions are hiring Saints TE coach (and former Miami interim-HC) Dan Campbell.

Texans and Eagles left now.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Jan 2021, 7:09 am

Which absolute nutter will take the Houston job?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 21 Jan 2021, 6:16 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Which absolute nutter will take the Houston job?
I have a suspicion it's going to end up being Bieniemy. Been awfully quiet around him considering he was the presumed consensus top target at the start.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 21 Jan 2021, 8:40 pm

Well the Eagles job has now gone...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 23 Jan 2021, 12:05 pm

Continuing the theme, why does it feel so wrong that people like Josh McCown are interviewing for Head Coaching roles...

It's making me feel old that journeyman QBs from my NFL past are now possible HC's Shocked

crazy_dave23

Forward Pass likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 23 Jan 2021, 3:06 pm

Lowlandbrit (2019) wrote:Kellen Moore, Mike Kafka and Ryan Lindley are all QB coaches, and could be serious OC or maybe even HC candidates next year.
Kafka and Moore both got interviewed by the Eagles. Those guys didn't even really play long enough to be considered proper journeymen! Kafka's just waiting for Bieniemy to get another job so he can be the Chiefs OC, and Moore is about three early losses away from being the Cowboys' interim-to-start-with-HC.

On the other side of the ball, former Texans and Eagles LB DeMeco Ryans (2006 defensive rookie of the year) is the new 49ers DC.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Gareth Mon 25 Jan 2021, 8:26 am

Tom Brady's Tampa Bay Buccaneers to face Patrick Mahomes' Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl 55

Just Gareth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 25 Jan 2021, 10:02 am

Well that game put years on me. We did our best to lose but the Packers just wouldn't let us.

Officials were horrendous throughout the game, but I honestly feel the better team on the day won.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 25 Jan 2021, 10:17 am

The decision to kick the field goal by LaFleur is one of the worst coaching decisions I've seen on that stage
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 25 Jan 2021, 11:11 am

Yeah that was truly mystifying. They'd rather give the ball back to the greatest ever QB in the hope that we might not get a few first downs. Unbelievable.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 25 Jan 2021, 12:48 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Well that game put years on me. We did our best to lose but the Packers just wouldn't let us.

Officials were horrendous throughout the game, but I honestly feel the better team on the day won.

I would, unfortunately, have to agree. We had our chances for sure, but ultimately we
A) Didnt do enough with Brady's interceptions , even if they were equivalent of giving us the starting field position of a punt return, rather than short yardage opportunities... obviously ignoring the fact the INT prevented Tampa points
B) Gave up a stupid play at half time which gave Tampa all the momentum
C) Made a strange call at the end... though watching it, my main concern before that drive was that we would March down the field and score, giving Brady enough time to go kick a field goal like Tom Brady does!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 25 Jan 2021, 12:51 pm

I suppose the other thing is that, even if we got the TD and missed the 2pt, we would have then still needed to stop Tampa, but only for a FG to win... rather than kicking the FG, having to stop Tampa and still needing the TD to win

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 28 Jan 2021, 3:36 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Which absolute nutter will take the Houston job?
Step forward David Culley, [checks notes] the Ravens' WR coach. 65 years old, probably best known for being the Chiefs' WR coach that year none of them caught a TD.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 28 Jan 2021, 3:54 pm

Why give Deshaun Watson a coach from the best passing offence in the league when you can give him one from the worst!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 28 Jan 2021, 4:18 pm

Because Eric Bieniemy doesn't bring Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and a good OL with him?

No idea if Culley will any good or not, I know about as much about him as most people do I suspect but I'm not his work with receivers on a team with a run first qb or Alex Smith is that relevant to his aptitude at being a HC.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 28 Jan 2021, 4:37 pm

BamBam wrote:Why give Deshaun Watson a coach from the best passing offence in the league when you can give him one from the worst!

Don't think Deshaun wants to be his QB anyways!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 31 Jan 2021, 9:36 am

Will the Rams ever pick in the first round again? Got to presume no at this point.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 31 Jan 2021, 4:06 pm

Just incredible to think how much the Rams ended up investing in Goff in various ways.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 31 Jan 2021, 4:26 pm

They just keep throwing more and more bad money to correct past mistakes
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 31 Jan 2021, 7:47 pm

GSC wrote:They just keep throwing more and more bad money to correct past mistakes

Anytime you can spend two 1sts, a 3rd and your current QB to upgrade from the 16th best QB in the NFL to the 13th best you just have to do it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Mon 01 Feb 2021, 9:18 am

crazy decision Shocked

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 01 Feb 2021, 8:20 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Anytime you can spend two 1sts, a 3rd and your current QB to upgrade from the 16th best QB in the NFL to the 13th best you just have to do it

When you put it like that, it makes complete sense laughing

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:08 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

When you put it like that, it makes complete sense laughing

And trading from a guy with potentially 10 years left to one with at most about 4 years*...

The most amazing thing about this trade is that Detroit are actually on the better end of it.

* Stafford is probably quite a bit better than the 13th best QB in the league, but he hasn't had much talent around him. Probably more like 8th best in terms of ability

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:10 am

It's hard for me to get past the rationale that the qb to get you over the hump is a guy without a playoff win in 10 years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 02 Feb 2021, 10:18 am

Who else is there though? Matt Ryan is the only other QB even feasibly available who I would take over Stafford. And the Rams aren’t in position to get one of the top draft guys. Take a swing I say.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 02 Feb 2021, 1:01 pm

GSC wrote:It's hard for me to get past the rationale that the qb to get you over the hump is a guy without a playoff win in 10 years

Needs the caveat - WITH THE LIONS.

As a slightly more serious comment, the interesting thing in this trade is about the Rams looking for success now (i.e. next two years) while the Lions are looking for where they will be in 3 or 4 years time, and from that perspective the trade makes some sense to both parties. Not sure that Stafford is good enough to win a Superbowl even with the relative strength of the Rams, but the only other real option would have been Deshaun Watson, if he forces through a trade from Houston, but he would have cost a LOT more...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 Feb 2021, 1:52 pm

Baker Mayfield won a playoff game with the Browns. Josh Allen won a playoff game with the Bills. Nick Foles won a SB with the Eagles.

At some point I want my #1 pick franchise QB to elevate the talent level. Stafford even when blessed with pretty good weapons couldn't answer that bell.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 03 Feb 2021, 12:59 pm

GSC wrote:Baker Mayfield won a playoff game with the Browns. Josh Allen won a playoff game with the Bills. Nick Foles won a SB with the Eagles.

At some point I want my #1 pick franchise QB to elevate the talent level. Stafford even when blessed with pretty good weapons couldn't answer that bell.

Which shows that absolute quality of a QB is not necessarily that important, more that they get on a hot streak at the right time. Goof and Kapernick both got to superbowls as well, and Stafford is by any reasonable measure a better QB than any of them. Your second point is more interesting - whether good QBs make the players around them better performers, and from that, whether Stafford falls short by comparison with the likes of Brady (who has for years made moderate receiving line-ups bar Gronk into world beaters).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 06 Feb 2021, 11:13 pm

Just awful awful news about the passing of Chris Wesseling. The world lost a good one
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 07 Feb 2021, 7:12 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Just awful awful news about the passing of Chris Wesseling. The world lost a good one

Absolutely horrific. Cancer is always crap but leaving behind a one year old. So, so sad.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:06 am

Congrats Pr4wn! A resounding victory in the big game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

Tampa's defence won the game, Brady decided by how much.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 08 Feb 2021, 12:56 pm

Yep... Whilst KC wasn't exactly clicking, I felt it was far more a case of Tampa's pass rush and coverage being too good, than it was KC being bad... Mahomes was running all over the place straight after the snap.

I can't admit a love for Tom Brady, but he is damn good

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 08 Feb 2021, 1:14 pm

What an odd game. No doubt that the absences on KC's offensive line were really being felt, poor Mahomes was running for his life the entire game. Still made some pretty spectacular throws, though, and his receivers really let him down.

With that being said, it was a completely dominant performance by our D. I think we only blitzed on 4 defensive plays in the entire game but we still generated so much pressure. White, David, Winfield were just everywhere. It was a performance that reminded me of our win back in 2003.

And Brady. Well, what can you say? He's just a class act and the best to ever do it. That much is beyond any doubt now.

Over the moon at this result, I honestly wasn't sure whether I'd ever see it happen again after 2003. The challenge now become retaining our top talent. Lavonte David and Shaq Barrett are both entering free agency this year.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 09 Feb 2021, 9:42 am

Really sad news about Wess, so sad for his family. He's seemed such a big part of the UK NFL experience and a great writer too

Can't agree more with Pr4wn's assessment of the game - some of the throws Mahomes made he had no right to get close to the WRs, but they let him down. Terrific defensive performance, will be interesting to see if they can hold that side of the ball together next season

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue 09 Feb 2021, 7:07 pm

Yeah that's a fair point... whilst I wasn't a great fan of some of the Mahomes' "escaping" by running backward and turning his back to the defense, some of the throws he ended up attempting were bonkers and yet many should have been caught... It's almost like his receivers just assumed there was no possible way he could get it to them!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 18 Feb 2021, 7:36 pm

So the QB-go-round has Carson Wentz going to Indy.

He's been very poor of late, but conceptually the potential is still there for Indy to do very well out of this... at a rather sizeable cost early on!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 19 Feb 2021, 4:08 pm

Very sad news about Vincent Jackson. I actually met him when I went to watch a Bucs game in Tampa, he was an absolute gentleman and spent time after the game with us fans.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 20 Feb 2021, 6:24 pm

crazy_dave23 wrote:at a rather sizeable cost early on!
Is it though? It's a third round pick this year (plus a first next year if he plays 75% of snaps), and he's taking up more of the Eagles' cap than the Colts' next season.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 15 Mar 2021, 11:04 am

Drew Brees retires, and Taysom Hill gets $140m with a rather large asterisk against it

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 15 Mar 2021, 3:14 pm

I dunno, it can't be argued the saints aren't paying Hill what he's worth on this extension
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 15 Mar 2021, 7:45 pm

Bill splashing the cash for the Pats. Love the Jonnu Smith signing, but Judon feels like a dude Bill will love but they could have got a similar guy for a lot less - can't comment on Mills or Godchaux signings, but the reaction to Mills worries me...

Would imagine the Saints have ruined the void years trick for everyone. Surely the owners put a limit on it.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum