The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster Rugby 2018-19

+41
RDW
maestegmafia
LeinsterFan4life
Rugby Fan
Gooseberry
The Oracle
Cyril
sensisball
scrummy
trustedwomble
Geen sport voor watjes
mikey_dragon
clivemcl
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
profitius
RugbyFan100
Lagon
Collapse2005
jimbopip
Keesie_kee
Kingshu
EWT Spoons
Maine man
Don Alfonso
Artful_Dodger
Heaf
eirebilly
Pot Hale
SecretFly
Redman
neilthom7
carpet baboon
The Great Aukster
Brendan
rodders
Standulstermen
marty2086
Pete330v2
geoff999rugby
LondonTiger
45 posters

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by LondonTiger Mon 04 Mar 2019, 9:49 am

First topic message reminder :

https://www.606v2.com/t68145-ulster-rugby-2017-2018-part-2


Last thread was at risk of self combusting, so started a new one for you. 


Bye.

LondonTiger
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 23485
Join date : 2011-02-10

Back to top Go down


Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Fri 02 Oct 2020, 4:50 pm

stevetynant wrote:When are you guys going to cut Aaron Sexton loose- just been watching some of his highlights on you tube- size, pace and balance he looks like a superstar in the making

He does look good, doesn't he?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Kingshu Fri 23 Oct 2020, 3:29 pm

Durning the international Window, Ulster should easily be the best team in the league.
Last years finalists with only 4 players on international duty (and unless players are not being released to stay in the bubble, we can expect McCloskey back).

The scottish, italians Scarlets and leinster are missing 10-15 players.
Munster, ospreys, cardiff missing about 7-10 players
Dragons and connacht about 5 or 6 players.
Ulster missing 4 players.
Realistically i think we should be expecting to win every game untill December. Which should give us a healthily league position.

Normally this is a time when Dragons and Connacht with normally fewer call ups get a run of points. Being a better team with even fewer call ups we really should be looking a very good points return.


Kingshu

Posts : 3800
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Sat 24 Oct 2020, 1:01 pm

Team up for Dragon's game.
Lyttle, Faddes, Hume, Moore, Ludik, Madigan, Cooney; O'Sullivan, Andrew, Moore, A O'Connor, Carter, Reidy, Murphy, Coetzee.

Replacements: McBurney, McCall, Kane, Treadwell, Timoney, Shanahan, Johnston, Lowry.


Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Sun 25 Oct 2020, 4:42 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Faddes is downright woeful.

Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Sun 25 Oct 2020, 6:11 pm

Maine man wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, Faddes is downright woeful.

You wouldn't be wrong. A poor NZ hire to date.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Sun 25 Oct 2020, 8:04 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Maine man wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, Faddes is downright woeful.

You wouldn't be wrong. A poor NZ hire to date.

I remember him with the Highlanders and he looked pretty decent. But since joining Ulster he's been poor. Does anyone know how long his contract is for?

Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Kingshu Sun 25 Oct 2020, 8:29 pm

His contract ends this season, so does Carters.
Faddes I am still unsure about, he was 2nd highest try scorer last season, behind Cooney. So does score its just none really stand out. Alot of players when moving from the SH have a poor first season. And last season was broken up witj covid and injury. Feel that this is the season we really should be judging him on.

Kingshu

Posts : 3800
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Mon 26 Oct 2020, 5:43 pm

Kingshu wrote:His contract ends this season, so does Carters.
Faddes I am still unsure about, he was 2nd highest try scorer last season, behind Cooney. So does score its just none really stand out. Alot of players when moving from the SH have a poor first season. And last season was broken up witj covid and injury. Feel that this is the season we really should be judging him on.

Fair enough - although James Lowe had a pretty good first season with Leinster.
But Covid has disrupted a fair bit so let's see how it goes by next June.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Wed 28 Oct 2020, 6:50 pm

Gloucester and Toulouse then in the champions cup group stage this year

neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 29 Oct 2020, 1:17 pm

neilthom7 wrote:Gloucester and Toulouse then in the champions cup group stage this year

Both tough teams to get anything out of but we're definitely on the right path to be able to challenge them. Gloucester are beatable both home and away but it'll take our 1stXV to be fully stocked and running at 100%. Toulouse at the moment are very strong, probably too strong to be beaten in France but beating them in Belfast is a possibility. Optimism isn't my strong point but I'm trying to be positive Smile

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Mon 02 Nov 2020, 6:19 pm

Anybody know a line out coach? Pretty sure Jonny Petrie is going to be wanting one soon

neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Mon 02 Nov 2020, 6:43 pm

How many more times are ulster going to do the one out runner thing and go nowhere before they actually do something with the ball.


neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Mon 02 Nov 2020, 6:48 pm

Gilroy is in acres of space, this is ridiculous Ulster, put the ball through the hands

neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Mon 02 Nov 2020, 6:51 pm

Finally it goes to the backs and they score, Ulster have the rugby tactical ability of a ten year old, that try could have been scored 10 minutes ago

neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Wed 04 Nov 2020, 4:50 pm

What's the word on Addison's injury?

Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by profitius Sun 22 Nov 2020, 5:04 pm

Aaron Sexton could be on the bench tonight.
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4569
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Sun 22 Nov 2020, 7:43 pm

Luke Marshall off injured within 3 minutes. If it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck

Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by clivemcl Mon 30 Nov 2020, 10:00 pm

When did we sign Keith Lemon??

clivemcl

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Mon 30 Nov 2020, 10:09 pm

Lol he has been called up to train for the last few weeks, he plays with Rainey up in Magherafelt, that is some facial and hair style choice lol

neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by clivemcl Mon 30 Nov 2020, 10:49 pm

I like it! I'd be happy to see some more of him. He looked decent.
Late bloomer? Or is he a young cub?

clivemcl

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Mon 30 Nov 2020, 11:07 pm

Great result for the Ulstermen tonight.

Looking forward to the Xmas interpros.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Tue 08 Dec 2020, 11:27 am

Dwayne Peel set to leave Ulster at the end of the season for Cardiff.

Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 08 Dec 2020, 11:37 am

Maine man wrote:Dwayne Peel set to leave Ulster at the end of the season for Cardiff.

I'd like to think the search for the replacement is well under way. There's little money to be had so the advert should specify "needs to be up for a challenge". Smile

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by carpet baboon Tue 08 Dec 2020, 11:39 am

Good luck to him.
As a replacement I think Girvan Dempsey would be a good fit.
Or a South African scrum half who is about to retire and is loved in Ulster, do you know anyone who fits the description?

carpet baboon

Posts : 2569
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Old Man Tue 08 Dec 2020, 1:22 pm

NO, he is back home. boxing

He is fighting the cause for the Cheetahs, besides, he is injured. Out for a couple of months.

Old Man

Posts : 2099
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 08 Dec 2020, 2:04 pm

Pienaar has no coaching experience bar any he's done from a playing perspective. If he becomes a proven commodity then I'd love to see him back. I don't think Dan and Jonny are in the business of taking a wild punt.
We need someone with a track record that isn't too expensive....Ronan O'Gara Smile Smile

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by carpet baboon Tue 08 Dec 2020, 2:41 pm

ROG would do it just out of his love for Ulster, wouldn't cost a penny

carpet baboon

Posts : 2569
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 10 Dec 2020, 1:42 pm

Ulster team to play Toulouse, Heineken Champions Cup Round 1, Friday 11 December 2020 at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 8pm, live on BT Sport / beIN Sport:  

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.  

Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Matty Rea, Alby Mathewson, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy.


A strong lineup, as strong as we could field and there's a fair bit of continuity within the squad.

However....


15 Maxime Médard; 14 Matthis Lebel, 13 Sofiane Guitoune, 12 Romain Ntamack, 11 Cheslin Kolbe; 10 Thomas Ramos, 9 Antoine Dupont;
1 Cyril Baille, 2 Julien Marchand (capt), 3 Charlie Faumuina; 4 Rory Arnold, 5 Joe Tekori; 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 7 Alban Placines, 8 Selevasio Tolofua.

Replacements: Guillaume Marchand, Rodrigue Neti, David Ainu’u, Emmanuel Meafou, Louis Madaule, Yannick Youyoutte, Pita Ahki, Alexi Bales.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by clivemcl Sat 19 Dec 2020, 5:22 pm

Why oh why were we playing for points with less than a minute on the clock??? Stuff it up the jersey time surely. But no, a Rea knock on and five minutes later we lose the game.

clivemcl

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 26 Dec 2020, 10:09 am

Happy Xmas Ulster fans, Marcel is leaving us a year early. Bah Humbug!!!

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Maine man Sat 26 Dec 2020, 12:13 pm

Maybe we could get Conan or Deegan to move up north.

Maine man

Posts : 329
Join date : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by clivemcl Sat 26 Dec 2020, 1:15 pm

Our homegrown and Leinster cast offs just don’t cut it. Leinster deserve a lot of credit for their achievements from a mostly self produced player base. Truth is though, they are a rare occurrence. What other team has done so well with so little foreign big name signings?
Realistically, we lost to Toulouse because of individual brilliance, and I think even the best squad and coaching will always slip up and fall short of they don’t have special players who have the ability to make something out if nothing.

For me, Ireland come second you club for a few years now. I get the strategies to further the progress of the national team. But from a club supporter POV I want a replacement (high class) for Coetzee, and a few more on top. Faddes isn’t of the required standard. Bill Johnston doesn’t deserve his contract. Lowry probably too small for the pro game unless he’s moved to ten.

Ulster probably needed 3/4 of the best big name signings over past 6/7 years to all have been there at same time. That would have been the only way to have been competitive.

Piutau, Pienaar, Coetzee and Afoa. Heck, throw in Payne too and we may have won something. Unless you do that, we are unlikely to be competitive in Europe.

clivemcl

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by clivemcl Sat 26 Dec 2020, 1:24 pm

Maine man wrote:Maybe we could get Conan or Deegan to move up north.

Coetzee leaving a contract early? Did he have a clause? Or I wonder was this mutual agreement.
I wonder if Nucifora may have been working here to get somebody moved to another club but part of the deal was Coetzee doesn’t leaves to not block them. 🤷‍�

clivemcl

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Sun 27 Dec 2020, 9:18 pm

Ulster CEO saying it player-driven with unsubtle encouragement from Bulls.

Ulster playing well in a feisty match at The Sportsground.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by neilthom7 Mon 28 Dec 2020, 11:03 am

Yeah seems like Marcell was homesick a bit and that maybe then the Bull's encouraged him to try and find a way out so he could go back to south africa.
It's a big loss for Ulster and not at a great time in terms of their ability financially to replace him

neilthom7

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 33
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Old Man Mon 28 Dec 2020, 11:35 am

Marcell leaving might have a lot to do with this Video , He spent 4 months of lockdown at Marloth Park.

Old Man

Posts : 2099
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by profitius Mon 28 Dec 2020, 11:58 am

clivemcl wrote:Our homegrown and Leinster cast offs just don’t cut it. Leinster deserve a lot of credit for their achievements from a mostly self produced player base. Truth is though, they are a rare occurrence. What other team has done so well with so little foreign big name signings?
Realistically, we lost to Toulouse because of individual brilliance, and I think even the best squad and coaching will always slip up and fall short of they don’t have special players who have the ability to make something out if nothing.

For me, Ireland come second you club for a few years now. I get the strategies to further the progress of the national team. But from a club supporter POV I want a replacement (high class) for Coetzee, and a few more on top. Faddes isn’t of the required standard. Bill Johnston doesn’t deserve his contract. Lowry probably too small for the pro game unless he’s moved to ten.

Ulster probably needed 3/4 of the best big name signings over past 6/7 years to all have been there at same time. That would have been the only way to have been competitive.

Piutau, Pienaar, Coetzee and Afoa. Heck, throw in Payne too and we may have won something. Unless you do that, we are unlikely to be competitive in Europe.


Thems the rules though. If you don't produce your own players then you have no choice but to get Leinster cast offs.


The irfu are taking a long term view of things by forcing the provinces to produce their own players. Munster (until recently) and ulster have been poor at it and that's why neither province has won anything for a long time.


The ideal model is have mostly quality local talent, a few from other provinces and have a few top quality foreigners, like Coetzee.
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4569
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Old Man Mon 28 Dec 2020, 12:28 pm

Marcell has also expressed hope to play against the British and Irish Lions

Old Man

Posts : 2099
Join date : 2019-08-27

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Mon 28 Dec 2020, 1:30 pm

Old Man wrote:Marcell has also expressed hope to play against the British and Irish Lions

Erasmus’ time at Munster has proved to be very fortuitous for SA Rugby between the network of relationships he forged and tacit agreements reached.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 29 Dec 2020, 9:35 pm

I popped in for a browse of t'other forum and discovered there's either a terrible rumour that Cooney has been bought out of his contract by a French side. Please someone tell me it's someone's idea of a peestake.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Kingshu Wed 30 Dec 2020, 1:02 am

Its been rumoured a while, no idea if its true, but I can believe it. Last big contract, and has been one of the best SHs in Europe but completely overlooked by Ireland. If he isnt going to get international recognition why not take the bigger paycheck?

Kingshu

Posts : 3800
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Dec 2020, 10:50 am

With his kicking game he'll fit right in, in France. With him and Coetzee being allowed to leave early are Ulster trying to cut the budget before next season?

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16461
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Dec 2020, 11:22 am

It would explain why he's been left out of the Ireland camp lately despite his form. Can Ulster sustain the loss of both Cooney and Coetzee? Unless there's some stunning work being done by Bryn I don't think we can.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Wed 30 Dec 2020, 1:39 pm

That would be terrible news. On the other hand, perhaps Cooney is looking to have a negotiation edge when Nucifora and his emissaries start contract talks with the 90-odd players waiting until January to know what the future looks like.

If provinces are being asked to reduce their budgets to what they can afford under Covid restricted earnings, then you'd figure older/non-Irish qualified players and some middle/low-rank players will face greatest scrutiny, along with those NIQ coming to end of contracts.

At Ulster, who falls into that category?

Milasanovich, McGrath, Carter, Coetzee, Mathewson, Faddes, Ludik?

At other provinces, who might be dropped, encouraged to move?
Munster - Archer, Ryan, Holland, Cloete, O'Donnell, McCarthy, Sweetnam?
Leinster - Abdaladze, Bent, Cronin, Fardy, Toner, Murphy, Penny, H O'Sullivan, Frawley, C O'Brien, A Byrne?
Connacht - Mcallister, Papali'i, Healy?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Dec 2020, 1:54 pm

From an Ulster point of view we could jettison Faddes and Ludik, possibly Milasanovich too. It'd be handy to retain Matthewson if Cooney is sodding off and getting Madigan to sign an extension would be ideal. We won't be replacing Coetzee, he's not replaceable but we might have funds to lure a half decent backorder that's looking some extra gametime.

Oh and John Cooney's twitter feed has disappeared.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4086
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Wed 30 Dec 2020, 2:52 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:From an Ulster point of view we could jettison Faddes and Ludik, possibly Milasanovich too. It'd be handy to retain Matthewson if Cooney is sodding off and getting Madigan to sign an extension would be ideal. We won't be replacing Coetzee, he's not replaceable but we might have funds to lure a half decent backorder that's looking some extra gametime.

Oh and John Cooney's twitter feed has disappeared.

And Jean Cooné has appeared.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 30 Dec 2020, 6:49 pm

Pot Hale wrote:That would be terrible news.  On the other hand, perhaps Cooney is looking to have a negotiation edge when Nucifora and his emissaries start contract talks with the 90-odd players waiting until January to know what the future looks like.

If provinces are being asked to reduce their budgets to what they can afford under Covid restricted earnings, then you'd figure older/non-Irish qualified players and some middle/low-rank players will face greatest scrutiny, along with those NIQ coming to end of contracts.

At Ulster, who falls into that category?

Milasanovich, McGrath, Carter, Coetzee, Mathewson, Faddes, Ludik?

At other provinces, who might be dropped, encouraged to move?
Munster - Archer, Ryan, Holland, Cloete, O'Donnell, McCarthy, Sweetnam?
Leinster - Abdaladze, Bent, Cronin, Fardy, Toner, Murphy, Penny, H O'Sullivan, Frawley, C O'Brien, A Byrne?
Connacht - Mcallister, Papali'i, Healy?
Is it worth having McGrath on the books given he's probably on a substantial contract? Has he been performing well, he seems to have disappeared out of sight?

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5539
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 31
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Wed 30 Dec 2020, 8:20 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:That would be terrible news.  On the other hand, perhaps Cooney is looking to have a negotiation edge when Nucifora and his emissaries start contract talks with the 90-odd players waiting until January to know what the future looks like.

If provinces are being asked to reduce their budgets to what they can afford under Covid restricted earnings, then you'd figure older/non-Irish qualified players and some middle/low-rank players will face greatest scrutiny, along with those NIQ coming to end of contracts.

At Ulster, who falls into that category?

Milasanovich, McGrath, Carter, Coetzee, Mathewson, Faddes, Ludik?

At other provinces, who might be dropped, encouraged to move?
Munster - Archer, Ryan, Holland, Cloete, O'Donnell, McCarthy, Sweetnam?
Leinster - Abdaladze, Bent, Cronin, Fardy, Toner, Murphy, Penny, H O'Sullivan, Frawley, C O'Brien, A Byrne?
Connacht - Mcallister, Papali'i, Healy?
Is it worth having McGrath on the books given he's probably on a substantial contract? Has he been performing well, he seems to have disappeared out of sight?

Agreed. should have added in Deegan or Conan onto the Leinster list with Doris nailing down the 8 position and Ulster will be looking for an 8 with Coetzee's departure.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Pot Hale Sat 02 Jan 2021, 9:51 pm

Excellent win by Ulster again tonight against Munster 15-10. That makes 10 out of 10 for this season and looking good for making the final.

The interpro against Leinster next week should be a humdinger.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7322
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 59
Location : Ireland East

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by clivemcl Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:40 pm

So another defeat by our nemesis. You’d think I’d get used to it!

Wonder what thoughts are on positionally where Ulster are struggling. Whilst it’s great to see younger players get a chance and show promise, do they need the older heads around them to be of a better standard?

I guess I’m thinking mainly of Faddes here.

Also, how many young wingers are Ulster going to get excited about only to shrug when they don’t develop to the potential we hoped for?
It effectively started with Gilroy. Yes, he has some international caps, but he certainly went backwards a bit and stagnated ever sense. The same could potentially be said for Marshall and McCloskey and perhaps the Leinster cast-offs.

Is there a problem with Ulster failing to progress players from good to fantastic?

clivemcl

Posts : 4389
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Ulster Rugby 2018-19 - Page 17 Empty Re: Ulster Rugby 2018-19

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum