The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Tue 12 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

First topic message reminder :

With the woes and injuries in the international camp just depressing us, lets look back to the club game.

Possible areas of discussion:
Edinburgh continue to hold the 1872 trophy
Edinburgh are getting a new ground
Edinburgh have a home Euro Champs cup game to look forward to
Edinburgh have a league fixture against the perpetual point givers, Glasgow, to look forward to
BigGee’s proposed Scotland XV for England has 8 Edinburgh players, 4 exiles and 3 Glasgow players so even the International team is starting to look representative of where rugby in Scotland truly exists.
It’s not all bad for Glasgow though as they sit above Munster in the Pro 14 and have Stafford McDowell on their books
Edinburgh have Hamish Watson though
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down


Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 26 Apr 2019, 10:32 am

For Glasgow, there is

12: Johnson, McDowall, P Horne, Steyn/H Jones
13: H Jones, Steyn, Grigg, Kelly, DTH

Dunbar probably got a pay bump in his last contract and would have cost too much to be third or fourth choice at this point. P Horne probably survived purely due to being able to play at 10 rather than his skills at 12. Curse of a limited budget.

Worcester may be another shout. Teo is out the door and I think Heem was meant to be leaving. Weir rebuilt his career there and he could get plenty of gametime there.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 1899
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Fri 26 Apr 2019, 11:42 am

Weir and Dunbar working together again.

World cup bolters right there!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Fri 26 Apr 2019, 11:45 am

tigertattie wrote:Weir and Dunbar working together again.

World cup bolters right there!!!

Weir's been doing well since leaving Edinburgh.

Since leaving Edinburgh.

Boo Edinburgh.

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by R!skysports Fri 26 Apr 2019, 12:10 pm

Eejit wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Weir and Dunbar working together again.

World cup bolters right there!!!

Weir's been doing well since leaving Edinburgh.

Since leaving Edinburgh.

Boo Edinburgh.

You do have to hand it to Edinburgh, they are very adept at this skill

R!skysports

Posts : 3492
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Fri 26 Apr 2019, 12:51 pm

Weir plays at glasgow and does rather average

Weir plays at Worcester and plays really well

Weir plays at Edinburgh and is rather Meh

What does this mean?

It means an average player can cut it at an average team (glasgow), the player then looks great at Worcester as they are rather rubbish and his time at Edinburgh shows they were too good a team for him!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by jimbopip Fri 26 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm

tigertattie wrote:Weir plays at glasgow and does rather average

Weir plays at Worcester and plays really well

Weir plays at Edinburgh and is rather Meh

What does this mean?

It means an average player can cut it at an average team (glasgow), the player then looks great at Worcester as they are rather rubbish and his time at Edinburgh shows they were too good a team for him!

No, it means a good player can struggle to get in to an excellent team (Once And Future Champions), a good player can look very good in a decent side (Worcester) and his time in Luvvieland shows he was out of step with the others (he didn't know the Gay Gordons).

jimbopip

Posts : 5740
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Fri 26 Apr 2019, 1:45 pm

It's official - Cruden's not coming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48063020

Probably a sensible decision.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30294
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 26 Apr 2019, 2:21 pm

RDW wrote:It's official - Cruden's not coming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48063020

Probably a sensible decision.

Interesting what he says about Hastings. In fairness he looks like he's coming back to his best and I think playing so well in a Scotland jersey has done him the world of good. Would love to see a serious competitor to Finn at 10 and not just a back-up if it hits the fan.

I'm interested to see if Edinburgh will play Baggott at all. Any fans seen him play this season? Is he any good or still a bit raw?
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Fri 26 Apr 2019, 3:26 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:It's official - Cruden's not coming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48063020

Probably a sensible decision.

Interesting what he says about Hastings. In fairness he looks like he's coming back to his best and I think playing so well in a Scotland jersey has done him the world of good. Would love to see a serious competitor to Finn at 10 and not just a back-up if it hits the fan.

I'm interested to see if Edinburgh will play Baggott at all. Any fans seen him play this season? Is he any good or still a bit raw?

Hastings has a bright future indeed. He's a slightly different player to Finn.

Finn has a weird scale where he's either hot or he's not. Prior to his move to France, half o the games he played he was not.

Hastings is far more consitent. He doesnt have the utter brilliance of Finn at times, but he has a bit more composure and is better at controlling a game.

Hopefully both can be great for Scotland in years to come.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 27 Apr 2019, 11:57 am

Well, looks like Newcastle are gone sadly.

Of their Scots

Welsh -> Been injured but still a decent TH. Doubt he will be coming north.
Davidson -> Already signed for Glasgow to play with Cummings. Had a few decent games for Newcastle this season
Young -> Going to Quins
Gary Graham -> Would be a fantastic fit for Glasgow. Be a big BS/OS to pair with Ashe, Wilson and/or M Fagerson. Should complete the push of Harley
Guy Graham -> Youth player, better to establish himself at Newcastle in Championship
Hardie -> Unlikely to come back north, too many opensides at both clubs already

Dunbar -> Not coming back north, not sure what he will do. Be a great back-up 12 for a team
Harris -> Would fit Edinburgh if Cockerill can move Socino on

As for their other players, Takulua would be great for Edinburgh as a second SH and should not cost an arm and a leg if Groom has not officially signed

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 1899
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Mon 29 Apr 2019, 10:27 am

Just throwing this out there - I know a few of you lot have been

https://www.606v2.com/t68700-a-beginner-s-guide-to-bath

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30294
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Mon 29 Apr 2019, 11:16 am

More trolling from Glasgow twitter this morning setting Sam Johnson’s try to 1, 2 Step by Ciara and Missy Elliott.

Early 2000s RnB isn’t exactly my forte (probably Jimbo’s though) but I still found it quite amusing.

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 pm

The Glasgow twitter person is skating on thin ice.

If Glasgow were an independant entity, their tweets would be entirely of thier own deciding, but they are owned bythe SRU who arent too happy with the negative press the tweets are causing.

Could be off to the dole queue by the end of the week.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:32 pm

tigertattie wrote:The Glasgow twitter person is skating on thin ice.

If Glasgow were an independant entity, their tweets would be entirely of thier own deciding, but they are owned bythe SRU who arent too happy with the negative press the tweets are causing.

Could be off to the dole queue by the end of the week.

Justice for the baldy English lad that does Warriors Weekly.

Save his job.

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 30 Apr 2019, 1:03 pm

Jamie Dobie signs for Glasgow - must be highly rated as he's only 17. With Price and Horne likely away this Autumn could get a shot off the bench.
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Apr 2019, 1:14 pm

He is very highly rated, a few premiership clubs had him on their radar as well.

Won't expect to much in his first season though, just a little bit of bench work you would imagine while they knock him into shape.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 10837
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by 123456789. Tue 30 Apr 2019, 5:08 pm

Is Huw Jones injured again or does Dave Rennie just not really rate him?
I know he's gone off the boil a bit but I can't help but think back to 2014 when Toonie dropped Hogg from the squad for the play-offs. I hindsight it did wonders for his career but at the time it cost Glasgow.

123456789.

Posts : 1021
Join date : 2015-10-10

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Tue 30 Apr 2019, 5:28 pm

123456789. wrote:Is Huw Jones injured again or does Dave Rennie just not really rate him?
I know he's gone off the boil a bit but I can't help but think back to 2014 when Toonie dropped Hogg from the squad for the play-offs. I hindsight it did wonders for his career but at the time it cost Glasgow.

With the greatest respect to Peter Murchie and what he did for the club, the drop off between Hogg and him is much greater than between Jones and the alternatives. Seaman Steyn has been excellent since he came in, Sam Johnson is the best 12 in the country but can play at 13 too and if he wasn't injured the Battleship Griggtempkin would be pushing for the place as well.

For all his faults, I get the impression Dave Rennie doesn't give a crap about reputation or who thinks they should be playing instead.

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:07 pm

Seaman Steyn deserves to play but surely Shuggy is worth a shout for the bench.

I imagine he might get a half in this warm up game to prove himself

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 10837
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by 123456789. Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:19 pm

Fully agree about Hogg/ Murchie and Jones/ the rest. I also don't think Jones has ever really turned it on for Glasgow. Part of that I think is circumstance. He's played best for Scotland when all our attacking threats are on the pitch. With Hogg's injuries, Price's patchy form, Russell leaving and Seymour going somewhat off the boil he's not really had that opportunity at Scotstoun. But Hogg seems to be on the verge of his best, Price is playing well, Seymour and Hastings too. Jones also produces his best stuff on the biggest occasions. I'd like to see him in the squad at the very least. If we need a try I'm not sure there's anyone else in Scottish rugby that has better instincts to find it.

Also what's the story with the warm up game?

123456789.

Posts : 1021
Join date : 2015-10-10

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:41 pm

We are less to believe that we are going to have a warm up game prior to the semi final. As yet unannouced but likely to be the Ospreys, who are also looking for z warm up game prior to their Euro Cup play off v Scarlets.

Those games are all in three weeks time.

Makes sense for both of them to have a hit out prior to that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 10837
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 May 2019, 8:19 am

From a Scotland perspective we sorely need Huw Jones firing at the World Cup. At his best he is as important as Russell and Hogg, and gives our backline the sort of thrust we'll need if we are to emerge from our group into the proper stuff. Steyn and Bennett are perfectly serviceable, and miles from the dark days of De Luca, Di Rollo et al, but Jones on form is a different breed. I do hope Glasgow can reintegrate him before season end.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16539
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 40
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 May 2019, 8:26 am

tigertattie wrote:The Glasgow twitter person is skating on thin ice.

If Glasgow were an independant entity, their tweets would be entirely of thier own deciding, but they are owned bythe SRU who arent too happy with the negative press the tweets are causing.

Could be off to the dole queue by the end of the week.

That's a heck of a long queue in Glasgow.

I personally welcome the Edinburgh vs Glasgow rivalry being cranked up a notch, it needs a bit of spice, particularly with players switching between teams potentially making it too cosy. I'm sure Edinburgh can find someone able to grab the quill and ink and fire back a few witty ditties in the other direction, or just post a picture of the trophy that goes to the team that wins the head to head contest each year. Keep it simple for a simple audience...

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 16539
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 40
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Wed 01 May 2019, 8:32 am

For all this talk of Edinburgh messing up good players, look at what Glasgow have done with a player who was one of the greatest attacking threats in NH rugby not that long ago!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30294
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Wed 01 May 2019, 9:19 am

Huw Jones has only had about 12 starts for Glasgow in two years - Kyle Steyn has 8 since February! It's hard to argue we've ruined anyone when he only shows up to get his way into the Scotland set-up.

Naturally this is all conjecture at this stage, but if it is true he's having a bit of a tantrum at losing his place, or he's not even that interested in club rugby he wouldn't be the first player in professional rugby to feel those things. That said, as a paying customer, I would rather see my money go on guys who want to play for the club than those who don't, whomever they are.

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by EST Wed 01 May 2019, 9:51 am

Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position. I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

EST

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 May 2019, 10:44 am

EST wrote:Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position.  I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

I have a horrible feeling it may take a club move for him to buck up. It sounds to me like "big fish small pond" syndrome (even though, as proven, Glasgow have a pretty decent talent pool to pick from). A refresh might do him good to the AP. I doubt any French clubs will be knocking at the moment. As a fan of Scottish rugby with a soft spot for Glasgow, I agree with eejit that I'd rather see the players in who turn up for the club consistently but I also want Huw to kick on.

If he doesn't then a move South wouldn't do him much harm. I think he needs a bit of a shock, and I don't think he's going to get that with Scotland as we all know he'll get picked regardless, and we're in the unfortunate position where we'd be stupid not to pick him given our other options. Good on DR for sticking to his guns with selection policy.

The only way I can see it changing is if Huw is put on the bench for Scotland, then maybe we'll finally see a response.
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by EST Wed 01 May 2019, 10:55 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position.  I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

I have a horrible feeling it may take a club move for him to buck up. It sounds to me like "big fish small pond" syndrome (even though, as proven, Glasgow have a pretty decent talent pool to pick from). A refresh might do him good to the AP. I doubt any French clubs will be knocking at the moment. As a fan of Scottish rugby with a soft spot for Glasgow, I agree with eejit that I'd rather see the players in who turn up for the club consistently but I also want Huw to kick on.

If he doesn't then a move South wouldn't do him much harm. I think he needs a bit of a shock, and I don't think he's going to get that with Scotland as we all know he'll get picked regardless, and we're in the unfortunate position where we'd be stupid not to pick him given our other options. Good on DR for sticking to his guns with selection policy.

The only way I can see it changing is if Huw is put on the bench for Scotland, then maybe we'll finally see a response.

You could well be right, we haven't got anything approaching value for money from Huw, so I wouldn't be totally against the idea on the proviso that DR continues not to pick him/he is injured. If he can force himself into the team and show us what he can really do, then he will be an amazing asset - but like you i'm just not convinced it's going to happen. Here's hoping Rennie gives him some time in this warm up game.

As for Steyn, you can't really drop him just now unless Huw comes on and has a stormer - defensively sound, strong as an ox and has a good all round game, i've been pleasantly surprised at how easily he has made the transition tbh.

EST

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 May 2019, 11:14 am

EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position.  I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

I have a horrible feeling it may take a club move for him to buck up. It sounds to me like "big fish small pond" syndrome (even though, as proven, Glasgow have a pretty decent talent pool to pick from). A refresh might do him good to the AP. I doubt any French clubs will be knocking at the moment. As a fan of Scottish rugby with a soft spot for Glasgow, I agree with eejit that I'd rather see the players in who turn up for the club consistently but I also want Huw to kick on.

If he doesn't then a move South wouldn't do him much harm. I think he needs a bit of a shock, and I don't think he's going to get that with Scotland as we all know he'll get picked regardless, and we're in the unfortunate position where we'd be stupid not to pick him given our other options. Good on DR for sticking to his guns with selection policy.

The only way I can see it changing is if Huw is put on the bench for Scotland, then maybe we'll finally see a response.

You could well be right,  we haven't got anything approaching value for money from Huw, so I wouldn't be totally against the idea on the proviso that DR continues not to pick him/he is injured.  If he can force himself into the team and show us what he can really do, then he will be an amazing asset - but like you i'm just not convinced it's going to happen.  Here's hoping Rennie gives him some time in this warm up game.

As for Steyn, you can't really drop him just now unless Huw comes on and has a stormer - defensively sound, strong as an ox and has a good all round game, i've been pleasantly surprised at how easily he has made the transition tbh.

It may also give the likes of Paddy Kelly more of a chance to step up (who are also considerably cheaper). If Steyn gets a call-up though I expect his price to rise.

Still. We're streets away from Shlong at 13 and Morrison at 12.
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by EST Wed 01 May 2019, 11:23 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position.  I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

I have a horrible feeling it may take a club move for him to buck up. It sounds to me like "big fish small pond" syndrome (even though, as proven, Glasgow have a pretty decent talent pool to pick from). A refresh might do him good to the AP. I doubt any French clubs will be knocking at the moment. As a fan of Scottish rugby with a soft spot for Glasgow, I agree with eejit that I'd rather see the players in who turn up for the club consistently but I also want Huw to kick on.

If he doesn't then a move South wouldn't do him much harm. I think he needs a bit of a shock, and I don't think he's going to get that with Scotland as we all know he'll get picked regardless, and we're in the unfortunate position where we'd be stupid not to pick him given our other options. Good on DR for sticking to his guns with selection policy.

The only way I can see it changing is if Huw is put on the bench for Scotland, then maybe we'll finally see a response.

You could well be right,  we haven't got anything approaching value for money from Huw, so I wouldn't be totally against the idea on the proviso that DR continues not to pick him/he is injured.  If he can force himself into the team and show us what he can really do, then he will be an amazing asset - but like you i'm just not convinced it's going to happen.  Here's hoping Rennie gives him some time in this warm up game.

As for Steyn, you can't really drop him just now unless Huw comes on and has a stormer - defensively sound, strong as an ox and has a good all round game, i've been pleasantly surprised at how easily he has made the transition tbh.

It may also give the likes of Paddy Kelly more of a chance to step up (who are also considerably cheaper). If Steyn gets a call-up though I expect his price to rise.

Still. We're streets away from Shlong at 13 and Morrison at 12.

Agreed, even without Jones our midfield stable is very, very strong at Pro 14 level - Lord Stafford, Sammy, Steyn, Grigg and Kelly (who has looked decent in the limited chances available)...although a fit and in form Jones would no doubt give us some x-factor for those really top level European games.

EST

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 May 2019, 11:30 am

EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position.  I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

I have a horrible feeling it may take a club move for him to buck up. It sounds to me like "big fish small pond" syndrome (even though, as proven, Glasgow have a pretty decent talent pool to pick from). A refresh might do him good to the AP. I doubt any French clubs will be knocking at the moment. As a fan of Scottish rugby with a soft spot for Glasgow, I agree with eejit that I'd rather see the players in who turn up for the club consistently but I also want Huw to kick on.

If he doesn't then a move South wouldn't do him much harm. I think he needs a bit of a shock, and I don't think he's going to get that with Scotland as we all know he'll get picked regardless, and we're in the unfortunate position where we'd be stupid not to pick him given our other options. Good on DR for sticking to his guns with selection policy.

The only way I can see it changing is if Huw is put on the bench for Scotland, then maybe we'll finally see a response.

You could well be right,  we haven't got anything approaching value for money from Huw, so I wouldn't be totally against the idea on the proviso that DR continues not to pick him/he is injured.  If he can force himself into the team and show us what he can really do, then he will be an amazing asset - but like you i'm just not convinced it's going to happen.  Here's hoping Rennie gives him some time in this warm up game.

As for Steyn, you can't really drop him just now unless Huw comes on and has a stormer - defensively sound, strong as an ox and has a good all round game, i've been pleasantly surprised at how easily he has made the transition tbh.

It may also give the likes of Paddy Kelly more of a chance to step up (who are also considerably cheaper). If Steyn gets a call-up though I expect his price to rise.

Still. We're streets away from Shlong at 13 and Morrison at 12.

Agreed, even without Jones our midfield stable is very, very strong at Pro 14 level - Lord Stafford, Sammy, Steyn, Grigg and Kelly (who has looked decent in the limited chances available)...although a fit and in form Jones would no doubt give us some x-factor for those really top level European games.  

Sadly I can't see what difference he would have made against Globogym!
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Wed 01 May 2019, 11:33 am

We'll swap you Jones for Socino.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30294
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 May 2019, 11:40 am

RDW wrote:We'll swap you Jones for Socino.

I'd like to see Jones and Scott work together. That could be a tasty combo. Sadly I have very little faith in Edinburgh's attack coach. He has the innate ability to take a rough diamond and turn it back to coal.
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Wed 01 May 2019, 11:42 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:We'll swap you Jones for Socino.

I'd like to see Jones and Scott work together. That could be a tasty combo. Sadly I have very little faith in Edinburgh's attack coach. He has the innate ability to take a rough diamond and turn it back to coal.

*Waits for Jimbo making a reference to Matt Scott's defence*


Last edited by RDW on Wed 01 May 2019, 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30294
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by EST Wed 01 May 2019, 11:42 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
EST wrote:Jones is a marvelously instinctive attacking player - runs great lines, has an amazing step and is a big unit that can run at pace....but i've never been convinced he has a well rounded skill set, he can't seem to pass particularly well of either hand and his defense is hit and miss.

I think a combination of the above, and really bad luck with injuries have led us to this position.  I really hope he can start to put some form together over the next few weeks, Steyn is rock solid, but can't do the things Jones can.

I have a horrible feeling it may take a club move for him to buck up. It sounds to me like "big fish small pond" syndrome (even though, as proven, Glasgow have a pretty decent talent pool to pick from). A refresh might do him good to the AP. I doubt any French clubs will be knocking at the moment. As a fan of Scottish rugby with a soft spot for Glasgow, I agree with eejit that I'd rather see the players in who turn up for the club consistently but I also want Huw to kick on.

If he doesn't then a move South wouldn't do him much harm. I think he needs a bit of a shock, and I don't think he's going to get that with Scotland as we all know he'll get picked regardless, and we're in the unfortunate position where we'd be stupid not to pick him given our other options. Good on DR for sticking to his guns with selection policy.

The only way I can see it changing is if Huw is put on the bench for Scotland, then maybe we'll finally see a response.

You could well be right,  we haven't got anything approaching value for money from Huw, so I wouldn't be totally against the idea on the proviso that DR continues not to pick him/he is injured.  If he can force himself into the team and show us what he can really do, then he will be an amazing asset - but like you i'm just not convinced it's going to happen.  Here's hoping Rennie gives him some time in this warm up game.

As for Steyn, you can't really drop him just now unless Huw comes on and has a stormer - defensively sound, strong as an ox and has a good all round game, i've been pleasantly surprised at how easily he has made the transition tbh.

It may also give the likes of Paddy Kelly more of a chance to step up (who are also considerably cheaper). If Steyn gets a call-up though I expect his price to rise.

Still. We're streets away from Shlong at 13 and Morrison at 12.

Agreed, even without Jones our midfield stable is very, very strong at Pro 14 level - Lord Stafford, Sammy, Steyn, Grigg and Kelly (who has looked decent in the limited chances available)...although a fit and in form Jones would no doubt give us some x-factor for those really top level European games.  

Sadly I can't see what difference he would have made against Globogym!

Very fair point - we would need an extra 4/5 mill to get to where they are....they have looked ominously good in every game they have played since that QF - destroyed Wasps on the weekend.

EST

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Wed 01 May 2019, 11:51 am

RDW wrote:We'll swap you Jones for Socino.

If Jones can't be arsed at the once and future champions, imagine how uninterested he'd be at the luvvies. He'd be one of those driving to the training pitches!

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 01 May 2019, 12:02 pm

Actually Cockers might be brilliant for him, in terms of improving his attitude (assuming rumours of him not being arsed are true), as he won’t let him away with it and will almost certainly get him to buck up his ideas. The downside of course is that he’ll never see the ball and his all round game will deteriorate. So swings and roundabouts I guess.

EWT Spoons

Posts : 3578
Join date : 2012-02-02
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 May 2019, 12:17 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Actually Cockers might be brilliant for him, in terms of improving his attitude (assuming rumours of him not being arsed are true), as he won’t let him away with it and will almost certainly get him to buck up his ideas.  The downside of course is that he’ll never see the ball and his all round game will deteriorate.  So swings and roundabouts I guess.

Well it would give Edinburgh someone to pass to other than VDM.

NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 01 May 2019, 12:47 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:

Well it would give Edinburgh someone to pass to other than VDM.


Excuse me! We don't pass, we get Henry to kick it instead. Saves our other backs having to take their hands out their pockets.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Posts : 1783
Join date : 2013-11-07
Age : 34
Location : Brighton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 01 May 2019, 1:19 pm

I think it depends on the reading.

If it is "I am miffed not to be involved, I have finally got fit and want a chance to get some form together to keep the Scots jersey and I am going to kick Steyn's a*** every day in training for the next two weeks" then I don't mind.

If it is the prima dona cr*p that Hogg pulled, then this may be the best thing for him in showing we can win big games with or without you in the long run.

We could really do with winning to give pundits and some players a reminder that Glasgow are a good side. Care used the word poor Glasgow side against Sarries in the BBC pod and it is one of those of setting out a stall of "we are good enough to win the league and be a threat in the Champions Cup every year."

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 1899
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by jimbopip Wed 01 May 2019, 1:45 pm

RDW wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:We'll swap you Jones for Socino.

I'd like to see Jones and Scott work together. That could be a tasty combo. Sadly I have very little faith in Edinburgh's attack coach. He has the innate ability to take a rough diamond and turn it back to coal.

*Waits for Jimbo making a reference to Matt Scott's defence*

It would work brilliantly....if Jones lined up at 12 in defence and 13 in attack.

Of course Jones would need to move to Luvvietoon because there's no way Matt Scott would get anywhere near a Warriors match day 23.

jimbopip

Posts : 5740
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 01 May 2019, 2:15 pm

I can see the conversation now

"So Duncan, how are you planning to address our issues in attack"
"Well you know Glasgow attack really well from the backs... I've done a wee bit of research and found out weegies walk with their hauns in their pockets, maybe we should try that"
"Wee henry is a former weegie, he can be the tactical master"
"The challenge cup will be ours for sure!"
NeilyBroon
NeilyBroon
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 2733
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 30
Location : Southampton

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Thu 02 May 2019, 8:39 am

it was the Glasgow end of season awards last night, and it was good to see the 'Al Kellock leadership award for services to ruck inspecting' went to Ryan Wilson - I couldn't think of a more deserving winner!

Interestingly, Ali Price won player of the season - I was surprised at first but he has actually had a really good season and looks to be back to his best.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Posts : 30294
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Sydney

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by EST Thu 02 May 2019, 9:07 am

RDW wrote:it was the Glasgow end of season awards last night, and it was good to see the 'Al Kellock leadership award for services to ruck inspecting' went to Ryan Wilson - I couldn't think of a more deserving winner!

Interestingly, Ali Price won player of the season - I was surprised at first but he has actually had a really good season and looks to be back to his best.

He has certainly built his form up over the season - he is also keeping Horne younger out of the team, which says a lot. It is amazing how much that Wales performance dented his confidence, good that he has put that behind him.

EST

Posts : 1643
Join date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Thu 02 May 2019, 9:24 am

EST wrote:
RDW wrote:it was the Glasgow end of season awards last night, and it was good to see the 'Al Kellock leadership award for services to ruck inspecting' went to Ryan Wilson - I couldn't think of a more deserving winner!

Interestingly, Ali Price won player of the season - I was surprised at first but he has actually had a really good season and looks to be back to his best.

He has certainly built his form up over the season - he is also keeping Horne younger out of the team, which says a lot.  It is amazing how much that Wales performance dented his confidence, good that he has put that behind him.

More importantly he is keeping Horne the Younger/Better from getting game time.

Horne (the better) needs to come to Edinburgh. We'll give you Henners back as compensation.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by jimbopip Thu 02 May 2019, 10:13 am


I thought the Once And Future Champions' awards were interesting.

Players' Player BigBadBob

Coaches' Player BigBadBob

says all you need to know about how highly he is esteemed by the people who work with him everyday.

Most Improved Player Scott Cummings

I think someone had a word with him, possibly two, and the phrase "unfulfilled potential" may have been uttered. Certainly he is a much better player than he was last year.

Young Player Of The Year Lord Stafford. Very Happy

And also the Wind Up The Luvvies Award Batman himself. Yahoo

jimbopip

Posts : 5740
Join date : 2012-10-14
Location : sunny Essex

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by R!skysports Thu 02 May 2019, 10:30 am

tigertattie wrote:
EST wrote:
RDW wrote:it was the Glasgow end of season awards last night, and it was good to see the 'Al Kellock leadership award for services to ruck inspecting' went to Ryan Wilson - I couldn't think of a more deserving winner!

Interestingly, Ali Price won player of the season - I was surprised at first but he has actually had a really good season and looks to be back to his best.

He has certainly built his form up over the season - he is also keeping Horne younger out of the team, which says a lot.  It is amazing how much that Wales performance dented his confidence, good that he has put that behind him.

More importantly he is keeping Horne the Younger/Better from getting game time.

Horne (the better) needs to come to Edinburgh so he can lose any ability to play, and hence deserve not to be picked. We'll give you Henners back as compensation.

Fixed for you


R!skysports

Posts : 3492
Join date : 2011-03-17

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Thu 02 May 2019, 11:41 am

This is the issue with Glasgow, they are too one eyed and dont look at the bigger picture.

Horne needs game time to be a better player for scotland.

Its such a shame that the SR Uare also one eyed and bias towards Glasgow and giving them all the money, coaches and players they need while Edinburgh is ignored to thier detriment.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Posts : 8204
Join date : 2011-07-11
Location : On the naughty step

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 02 May 2019, 12:01 pm

tigertattie wrote:This is the issue with Glasgow, they are too one eyed and dont look at the bigger picture.

Horne needs game time to be a better player for scotland.

Its such a shame that the SR are also one eyed and bias towards Glasgow and giving them all the money, coaches and players they need while Edinburgh is ignored to thier detriment.

The way Horne and Price play do not suit Edinburgh. Pyrgos has slowed down far too much but used to play faster for Glasgow. It is the coaching at Edinburgh of the backs that is leading to the results. Pyrgos is likely third choice after Laidlaw disappears and Price has already had an epic collapse of form in the past that could happen again in future so it merely causes the same problem at Edinburgh.

It is a pain having two players stacked at Glasgow like Jackson and Weir were for years but it only got dealt with once there were three options as it is having Nel/Berghan/McCallum (1st/2nd/arguably should be 4th choice at TH) stacked at Edinburgh or having Watson/Hardie (Barclay)/Ritchie (1/2/3 at OS) stacked.

Hazel Sapling

Posts : 1899
Join date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Eejit Thu 02 May 2019, 12:25 pm

tigertattie wrote:This is the issue with Glasgow, they are too one eyed and dont look at the bigger picture.

Horne needs game time to be a better player for scotland.

Its such a shame that the SR Uare also one eyed and bias towards Glasgow and giving them all the money, coaches and players they need while Edinburgh is ignored to thier detriment.

The SRU have tried and tried with Edinburgh, but as an institution they are too rubbish to even be called a development side.

Eejit

Posts : 1386
Join date : 2015-02-24
Location : London via Glasgow

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) - Page 13 Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum