The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March

+17
formerly known as Sam
TightHEAD
Heaf
Brendan
bsando
tigertattie
George Carlin
EST
RDW
yappysnap
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
LondonTiger
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Eejit
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March Empty Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March

Post by Eejit Sun 24 Mar 2019, 9:15 am

Date: Saturday 30th March
Venue: Allianz Park, Sort of near Mill Hill but really in the middle of bloody nowhere, London
Time: 15:15
Channel: BT Sport

Tale of the tape:
Saracens
4 English Premierships, 2 champions cups and a partridge in a pear tree
Beat Glasgow handily earlier this year
Don’t particularly like Ryan Wilson

Glasgow
The only professional team in Scotland that play what we call rugby union (we’re not sure what game the flouncing ones from the east are playing)
Once and future Pro14 Champions
Also not that fond of Ryan Wilson but he’s like that mate that always gets you into trouble but he’s still a mate

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March Empty Re: Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 24 Mar 2019, 1:01 pm

Can't see much past sarries at the moment. If wee Horne and Hastings are on form it could be more of a contest, but Saracens are an absolute beast at home.

This being said, Harlequins gave them a fright this weekend so anything's possible. Just hope its not a schooling like last time.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March Empty Re: Saracens vs Glasgow, Saturday 30th March

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 1:34 pm

Mark Palmer's preview of the match in the Sunday Times

Only 15 miles separate Allianz Park from Twickenham, and for Scottish visitors the temptation has been to view both grounds as impregnable. Saracens have won 18 of the 19 European games staged at their North London base since 2013 and have twice put 38 points on Glasgow there. The most recent of those defeats, a mere two months ago, saw Saracens confirmed as top seeds for their eighth straight quarter-final appearance while Warriors crept through as the lowest-ranked of the best runners-up.

Dave Rennie’s men were barely home when it was established they would be going back in the knockouts, an arsenic-laced reward to place in the same bracket as being invited to the Cabbage Patch to round off your Six Nations when you’re missing half a team and a whole lot of confidence.

What Scotland did last week, dragging themselves back from the dead with that remarkable second half, gave the national team proof of the damage they are capable of inflicting on a top-level team away from home. Even if, ultimately, they are still without a win at Twickenham since 1983, it was a 40-minute show of technical excellence and resilience that should have the players walking that bit taller when foreign fields and high-class opponents combine once more in the World Cup opener against Ireland.

No love lost: Saracens and Glasgow have had fiery contests this season

No love lost: Saracens and Glasgow have had fiery contests this season
HENRY BROWNE

Long before September 22, you would like to think there will also be an emboldening effect on Glasgow; not just for men such as Sam Johnson, Fraser Brown, Jonny Gray, Ali Price and Adam Hastings who played their part at Twickenham, but all those who sound like they’re trying to convince themselves when they profess unshakeable belief before a game like Saturday’s.

In truth, there was more than a hint of an inferiority complex about Warriors and their approach to the quarter-final in 2017. Gregor Townsend, head coach at the time, later admitted he had focused too heavily on the strengths of Saracens, and nothing about the performance said Glasgow had managed to find themselves on the right side of the line between respect — wariness even — and something more akin to resignation. Saracens scored four tries, had two others disallowed and left the field with barely a scratch on them.

January was different, and, from a Glasgow perspective, more encouraging. Again the Scottish side went behind early but this time they hit back hard, Tommy Seymour, Price and Ryan Wilson all crossing in the first quarter. With Johnson pulling the midfield strings in a precursor to his HQ heroics, Price and Hastings darting and probing and Seymour, Stuart Hogg and DTH van der Merwe all coming into the line at pace, Glasgow had Saracens rattled. Eleven minutes from time, there was only five points in it.

What Rennie and his side have taken from that day is the importance of playing their own game and the knowledge that it can hurt one of three best teams in Europe as well as easing them home on the Pro14’s flatter tracks.

“When we play the style of rugby we like to, when we play it fast and have the ball, we’re pretty hard to handle,” says Callum Gibbins, the co-captain who missed the January game because of an ankle injury from which he returned last night against Cheetahs. “I don’t think we’ll be changing too much in the way we play, because if you change too many things you run the risk of not being so clear. You don’t get on with the job you’ve been doing most of the year.

“The key to that is holding onto the ball and looking after it. You’ve got to do things well and be accurate, across the whole team. The last time out in the Pro14 [against Zebre], our errors were up around 10 or 12. We need to bring them down below 10. If we can hold onto the ball and not cough it up, that’s how you stress teams.

“Once you’ve done that for 60 minutes, there’s only one thing that’s going to prevail and that’s your fitness. Scotland as a whole is a pretty fit nation; the national side is pretty fit and we train really hard on our fitness here as well. If we can hold onto the ball, that will come through.”

Of course, it is not remotely all about Glasgow. They still have to deal with the power game Saracens will fling at them, and, close to their own line especially, do so much more effectively than last time when four forwards, Vincent Koch, Billy Vunipola, Will Skelton and Maro Itoje each scored. The Scots must bring the same attritional qualities we saw in the 13-3 defeat at Scotstoun on the opening weekend of pool games, while bolting on the attacking threat almost wholly absent that day. It will be no easy feat, but neither is it meant to be.

“In the first half [in January], we played with a lot of tempo,” says Gibbins. “We were quite accurate in how we wanted to play and we held onto the ball really well. Against a side with so many international players, that’s what you need to do. You’ve got to starve them of the ball, and when you have it, you’ve got to play well with it. In the second half, we were a bit off there. It was pretty even up until half-time, and then in the second half they put us under pressure.”

Both this season’s meetings have been wonderfully grouchy. Back in October, the Glasgow players seethed at Itoje jumping up and down in mock celebration when they thought they had scored a try only for it to be ruled out, while Allianz Park brought a spate of flare-ups. Even without Ryan Wilson being around to pour on the petrol, it is a fixture that clearly needs very little to catch fire, and that’s before we factor in any issues lingering from Twickenham.

“It’s the Heineken Cup, the best competition in Europe, so it’s going to be heated,” shrugs Gibbins. “There’s always that Scottish/English rivalry as well. Both teams will be well up it for, as they should be.”

Glasgow will still travel more in hope than expectation. The first step is not only saying that they believe but meaning it. That’s when funny things can happen.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Mar 2019, 2:16 pm

Saracens are not in good form ATM, and after a series of defeats in the last few years this is Glasgow's best chance for victory.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 2:54 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Saracens are not in good form ATM, and after a series of defeats in the last few years this is Glasgow's best chance for victory.

Best chance maybe, but still a tall order.

I think the MP article is actually right on the money. For us to win, we really need to believe that is possible, which we clearly did not a couple of years ago. I think then, just getting to the quarter finals was our achievement, bearing in mind we had never done it before. That is a mindset we need to move on from.

Will that performance last weekend at Twickers give us that extra bit of belief to get us over the line?

Lets hope so and we will find out next Saturday afternoon.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 24 Mar 2019, 3:52 pm

Be a bit of a change in personnel from last time for us. We will be missing Seymour, DTH and Wilson. The positives are we have got back Brown, Z Fagerson, M Fagerson and Gibbins, and we lost the initial match in the forwards. Sarries may or may not be missing M Vunipola and Itoje which is cold comfort considering the replacements.

I have bought tickets for this so hoping we can do something. I will be more upset if we do not go for it and try to be safe with Swinson, Harley and P Horne starting and we can't win being safe. I would like something along the lines of

Kebble - Brown - Z Fagerson (Allan - Turner (if not fit, Stewart) - Nuka)
Cummings - J Gray (Harley)
Ashe - M Fagerson - Gibbins (Fusaro)

Price - Hastings (Matawalu - P Horne, if injured Thomson)
S Johnson - Grigg/McDowall
Steyn - Jackson - Nairn (Hughes or McDowall depending on 10/13)

If we get Hogg back, that would be a big boost

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 4:23 pm

I think Seymour will be fit for this game, he was not listed as injured this week, looks like he was just getting a rest. He was watching the game along with Hoggy and the others.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 24 Mar 2019, 4:45 pm

So DTH, Wilson and maybe Grigg out. Not sure I want Seymour starting ahead of Nairn or Hughes, but guess he will get the nod with DTH out. Certainly a player who could do with some form.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 6:25 pm

Grigg definitely out, DR said as much in his team announcement interview on Friday, 4-6 weeks for him with a badly sprained ankle.

Jones and Wilson, hopefully back sometime in April, so should see them for the playoffs.

The absence of Jones and Grigg makes the emergence of Seaman Steyns even more welcome and I can see him playing either at centre or wing, he really has made some impression and won't be going back to the sevens squad any time soon!

If Horne P not fit then I can maybe see a team along these lines:

1. Keeble
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray
5. Swinson
6. Harley
7. Gibbins
8. Fagerson M
9. Price
10. Hastings
11. Seymour
12. McDowell
13. Johnson
14. Steyn
15. Hogg

Subs

Bhatti/Allen
Turner (if fit)/Stewart
Nuke
Cummings
Fusaro
Horne G
Hughes/Niko
Jacko/Thompson - someone needs to cover FH (Steyn can step in and cover centre)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 24 Mar 2019, 6:33 pm

Gee, your matchday 97 looks good but a trifle on the large side. Replacements in itlics, obviously.

1. Keeble Allan
2. Brown Turner if fit then Stewart
3. Fagerson Z Rae, more mobile in the last twenty than Nuke. Twenty years that is.
4. Gray
5. Swinson Tempted to start with Cummings, Swinson to bench
6. Harley  BBB gives bulk but Ashe give more pace and carrying threat, I'd start him
7. Gibbins
8. Fagerson M
9. Price  Wee Horne
10. Hastings Thompson, covers 10/15 Cheetahs embarrassed Ruaridh for pace a couple of times.
11. Seymour Nairn is in better form
12. McDowell Start That Try
13. Johnson   Start Seaman
14. Steyn       Start Niko
15. Hogg        Stafford Of McDowell covering 12/13

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 24 Mar 2019, 6:51 pm

I think BBB will be in the team somewhere Jim, either 6 or 5. He brings a bit of the mongrel to the pack that we will definitely need down there. Ashe is a better carrier, but may well drift out of the game for a good period of time.

Harley is DRs go to guy for games like this and I am sure he will start.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 24 Mar 2019, 8:25 pm

I know what you're saying Gee, but if I had one complaint about the Cheetahs match yesterday it was that in defence we tended to allow them to have the ball and play from side to side without anyone putting pressure on them. You really want your flankers leading the charge there and His Bobness at times looked like a back rower watching faster players go by him.

That said, Sarries will have a big, big pack and look to smash us up front which would play to his strengths. I think it really is down to whether you want a six who'll take the game to them or one who'll "meet them aff the bus". Which Shrek claims never to have said.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2019, 3:40 am

Saracens rested or were without a few big names on the weekend, who I imagine will be back for this one. And Quins still couldn't beat them with pretty much their best team on the park.

Sarries aren't the unstoppable force they once were, but they still struggle to lose. I think they'll win this one.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 25 Mar 2019, 9:02 am

Are Glasgow fans concerned by Gibbins saying they aren't going to change their tactics against Saracens? It's not exactly worked against them so far!

Saying that, if ever there's a time for those tactics to work against Saracens it's now, as they're not on great form and may not dominate up front as they have done in previous games. Sarries will still be heavy favourites though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 25 Mar 2019, 9:08 am

From a Glasgow perspective, there are quite a few selection questions - who will partner Gray in the second row, who starts at 9 and 10, should we just send out Laird Stafford on his own?

This would be my team:

Kebble
Brown
Fagerson Z
Gray
Swinson
Harley
Cully
Fagerson M

Horne
Hastings
Seymour
Johnson
Seaman
Hughes
Hoggy

Allan
Geroge-Turner Overdrive
Nuke
Cummings
Ashe
Price
Thomson
the Laird

Thats a pretty solid team, with a very solid front 5 and some good options behind the scrum. The backrow could have a better carrying options, but I think Ashe is just too inconsistent to start this one. A lot will depend on how Hastings (P.Horne is injured?) plays, as we have the quality all around him to hurt Sarries if we get everything right.

I think this will be closer than our last visit, but would still have Sarries as firm favourites.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 25 Mar 2019, 9:20 am

RDW wrote:Are Glasgow fans concerned by Gibbins saying they aren't going to change their tactics against Saracens? It's not exactly worked against them so far!

Saying that, if ever there's a time for those tactics to work against Saracens it's now, as they're not on great form and may not dominate up front as they have done in previous games. Sarries will still be heavy favourites though.

I'm not sure we can play any other way RDW! In our first meeting this season, we brought some real physicality and for large parts of the game matched them in that regard. In the second, we had a comparatively weak replacements and they took the game away from us in the last quarter when they brought on like for like quality, and we didn't - there was very little in it prior to that.

If we could merge the good aspects of those two performances, then we stand a chance, but we are going to have to be at our very best.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 25 Mar 2019, 11:53 am

Lots of unknowns here. Difficult to think we will defeat the mighty RoboGym at home.

Every time I see Swinson's name down opposite Itoje or Kruis, I defecate slightly onto the seat of my swivel chair.

I like EST's team but my heart also sinks when I see the Bobster or Fozzy. I love them both but they aren't test quality players, really.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 25 Mar 2019, 12:20 pm

Edinburgh may have one or both of Bradbury and Ritchie missing out for our game against Munster, want a loan?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 26 Mar 2019, 5:31 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47709795

DR confident that Hoggy will be back for the weekend, not so sure about Tommy Seymour though.

To be fair, I think we can cover TS a lot better than we can cover Hoggy!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Mar 2019, 8:44 am

I'm sure there's a phrase about stones and glass houses...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/champions-cup/we-can-t-get-sucked-in-by-saracens-antics-says-glasgow-boss-dave-rennie-1-4896282

If there was one word to describe Saracens V Glasgow games it is 'niggle'. Rennie is going all out blaming Sarries here but Glasgow were certainly dishing plenty out too, and I think to their detriment as it distracted them from the game.

Ryan Wilson not playing will help cool things down a bit certainly!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Mar 2019, 9:07 am

RDW wrote:.

In any match anywhere in the world ever. Very Happy He's like your naughty/ADHD kid brother: you're delighted when he's out for the evening, but you're secretly missing him too.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 27 Mar 2019, 9:12 am

Apparently Glasgow are bringing him down to be the water boy, so hopefully he can still annoy the Saracens players without actually playing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 Mar 2019, 9:14 am

I wonder if a water boy has ever received a yellow card?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 27 Mar 2019, 9:54 am

I actually think Glasgow have a decent opportunity in this game, the last time the teams met we were down Brown (and Turner as a replacement), Fagerson. Z, Fagerson. M and Cully from the pack - having those five back will make a big difference.  I also think the second half from that England game will have done wonders for the confidence of the Scotland lads in the Glasgow team - they know they can score and compete against these guys.  Sarries still firm favourites, but i'm confident it will be closer than last time.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Mar 2019, 9:59 am

RDW wrote:I'm sure there's a phrase about stones and glass houses...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/champions-cup/we-can-t-get-sucked-in-by-saracens-antics-says-glasgow-boss-dave-rennie-1-4896282

If there was one word to describe Saracens V Glasgow games it is 'niggle'. Rennie is going all out blaming Sarries here but Glasgow were certainly dishing plenty out too, and I think to their detriment as it distracted them from the game.

I cannot remember which of the two fixtures it was, but I know I made this point in the match thread. Glasgow seemed so determined to get their retaliation in first that they were allowing this desire to cause niggle detract from their performance. I certainly felt if they had concentrated on the game we could have seen a different result.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 27 Mar 2019, 10:00 am

BDR’s teamtalk writes itself, Glasgow have nothing to lose and have clearly gotten under their skin before. They’re not as good as they think they are and they can be got at.

Hope everyone that got tickets goes down and makes an almighty racket so it sounds like it’s a home game.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 27 Mar 2019, 10:05 am

LondonTiger wrote:

I cannot remember which of the two fixtures it was, but I know I made this point in the match thread. Glasgow seemed so determined to get their retaliation in first that they were allowing this desire to cause niggle detract from their performance. I certainly felt if they had concentrated on the game we could have seen a different result.

I think it must have been the first game - I think it was pretty even to be honest, both sets of players were at it from pretty much the first min - there is clearly a bit of niggle between the two teams.

Does anybody know if Itoje is fit for this game?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 27 Mar 2019, 10:06 am

EST wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I think it must have been the first game - I think it was pretty even to be honest, both sets of players were at it from pretty much the first min - there is clearly a bit of niggle between the two teams.  

Does anybody know if Itoje is fit for this game?

According to the papers he is.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Mar 2019, 11:29 am

Eejit wrote:BDR’s teamtalk writes itself, Glasgow have nothing to lose and have clearly gotten under their skin before. They’re not as good as they think they are and they can be got at.

Hope everyone that got tickets goes down and makes an almighty racket so it sounds like it’s a home game.

I would say that usually Saracens are better than they think they are. Usually they are much better than the sum of their parts and very much play as a team who respect each other. They tend not to shout about their achievements and rather always look forward, just trying to be the best they can be. I know all that cheering and clapping annoys opposition - but frankly I would rather that than the method my own team seems to be applying which is to look like a bunch of blokes who just met at a pub before the game and at halftime discover half the team mates have shagged their wife and the other half their mother.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 27 Mar 2019, 11:33 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Eejit wrote:BDR’s teamtalk writes itself, Glasgow have nothing to lose and have clearly gotten under their skin before. They’re not as good as they think they are and they can be got at.

I would say that usually Saracens are better than they think they are. Usually they are much better than the sum of their parts and very much play as a team who respect each other. They tend not to shout about their achievements and rather always look forward, just trying to be the best they can be. I know all that cheering and clapping annoys opposition - but frankly I would rather that than the method my own team seems to be applying which is to look like a bunch of blokes who just met at a pub before the game and at halftime discover half the team mates have shagged their wife and the other half their mother.

Wayne Rooney has just applied to join the Tigers!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 27 Mar 2019, 11:35 am

LondonTiger wrote:

I am effusive in my praise of Saracens, just making an example in terms of Dave Rennie’s teamtalk and how Glasgow might approach the game.

I wonder if a year in the championship might be the best thing for Tigers. They desperately need to hit the reset button.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Mar 2019, 11:38 am

I was hoping that we could finish in the bottom half and play in the European Shield and try to rebuild. Something needs to happen starting with a root and branch overhaul and just maybe there could be worse things than relegation.

any way this thread is not for our woes but a chance for Glasgow fans to get excited. Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 27 Mar 2019, 11:41 am

LondonTiger wrote:I was hoping that we could finish in the bottom half and play in the European Shield and try to rebuild. Something needs to happen starting with a root and branch overhaul and just maybe there could be worse things than relegation.

any way this thread is not for our woes but a chance for Glasgow fans to get excited. Very Happy

Right you are.

We’re going to pump Sarries then the Luvvies then whoever in the final at St James’ Park. Discuss.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 27 Mar 2019, 11:59 am

Eejit wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I was hoping that we could finish in the bottom half and play in the European Shield and try to rebuild. Something needs to happen starting with a root and branch overhaul and just maybe there could be worse things than relegation.

Right you are.

We’re going to pump Sarries then the Luvvies then whoever in the final at St James’ Park. Discuss.

IF you beat Sarries (coz they are a bit of a winning team) then hats off to you. However, you won't beat Edinburgh if you meet us in the Semi. History confirms that Glasgow can't compete against a great pack Not only to Edinburgh hand out regular spankings to you, but anyone with a decent backrow sends you back to your own bus after failing to meet the opponent off thiers!

Edinburgh vs Glasgow = Edinburgh 8 wins out of 10

Thats 80% of matches Edinburgh win

Thats 20% of matches where Glasgow lose

We're already counting on you lot giving us our free points in the last Pro 14 game of the season. Spanking you (again) to progress in the champs cup would jsut be utter gravy!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 27 Mar 2019, 12:05 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Eejit wrote:

Right you are.

IF you beat Sarries (coz they are a bit of a winning team) then hats off to you. However, you won't beat Edinburgh if you meet us in the Semi. History confirms that Glasgow can't compete against a great pack Not only to Edinburgh hand out regular spankings to you, but anyone with a decent backrow sends you back to your own bus after failing to meet the opponent off thiers!

Edinburgh vs Glasgow = Edinburgh 8 wins out of 10

Thats 80% of matches Edinburgh win

Thats 20% of matches where Glasgow lose

We're already counting on you lot giving us our free points in the last Pro 14 game of the season. Spanking you (again) to progress in the champs cup would jsut be utter gravy!

What about the 10 before that. How did that go?

I'm running out of straws to clutch.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 27 Mar 2019, 12:21 pm

Ach you only won those because the SRU chucked all the money, players and coaches at you.

You had a new stadium.
You had he who was to be national coach
You were given all the good players like Hogg, Jonny G and lets not forget the man who inspired AWJ, Mr Ruck Inspector himself, Deity Kellock.

Meanwhile Edinburgh had to make do with Adrian Strauss, Jade Te Rure and a crying Flounder boy.

Now that the gross favourtisim is finally being addressed, the true powerhouse of Scottish Rugby is returing to its correct place

#YouOnlySingWhenYoureWinning
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 27 Mar 2019, 12:29 pm

Got a ticket for this one! The last club game I attended was the Heineken Cup, Rd 2 2011. Cardiff Blues vs Edinburgh which was a dire match with a sparse crowd at the Cardiff Football stadium. McInally was still a backrow, Paterson was at 15 and Dan Parkes kicked most of the Blies points. Expecting Saturday to be a bit more exciting!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 29 Mar 2019, 11:11 am

Morning lads Very Happy

I know technology isn't my main strength, but yesterday evening I was hunting down Warriors TV on my smart tellybox and there was DR being interviewed about this week's team. I only heard bits as the grandson was chewing my ear (literally, not metaphorically) but,

Unchanged pack from last week
Steyn and Rozza on the wings
Sam Johnson in the centres
Haircut Hastings at 10.

At which point herself came into the room and took control of the box. But not the baby.

Seems we're looking to match them physically.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 29 Mar 2019, 11:12 am

Or did I imagine it all?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 29 Mar 2019, 11:36 am

If you think that the Glasgow pack and particularly your backrow can go toe to toe in a beat em up campaign with the Sarrie gym monkeys then you've not taken your old age medicine jimbo.

You guys are going to need to out think and out manouvoure the English juggernaughts if you want to win this game.

I hope you win Hug but I don't think you will Sad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:00 pm

Cummings and Swinson start. Wee Jonny on the bench Shocked

Aldi Price at 9 Wee George on the bench.

That Try 12 Lord Stafford at 12 -13 Furra Linee on bench.

Hoggie starts MadMad Mata on bench.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:02 pm

Kebble-Brown-Ragnar start with Bhatti-Bryce- Nuke to come on.

BBB-Young Fagerson-Cully with Fozzie to come on.

I'm not convinced we have like for like quality from the bench there.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:05 pm

Itoje starts at 6 for Sarries.

15. Alex Goode, 14. Sean Maitland, 13. Alex Lozowski, 12. Brad Barritt (c), 11. Liam Williams, 10. Owen Farrell, 9. Ben Spencer, 1. Richard Barrington, 2. Jamie George, 3. Christian Judge, 4. Will Skelton, 5. George Kruis, 6. Maro Itoje, 7. Jackson Wray, 8. Billy Vunipola.

Replacements:
16. Tom Woolstencroft, 17. Titi Lamositele, 18. Vincent Koch, 19. Nick Isiekwe, 20. Schalk Burger, 21. Tom Whiteley, 22. Nick Tompkins, 23. David Strettle

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:07 pm

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Kyle Steyn, 13. Stafford McDowell, 12. Samuel Johnson, 11. Rory Hughes, 10. Adam Hastings, 9. Ali Price, 1. Oli Kebble, 2. Fraser Brown, 3. Zander Fagerson, 4. Tim Swinson, 5. Scott Cummings, 6. Robert Harley, 7. Callum Gibbins (c), 8. Matt Fagerson.

Replacements:
16. Kevin Bryce, 17. Jamie Bhatti, 18. Siosiua Halanukonuka, 19. Jonny Gray, 20. Chris Fusaro, 21. George Horne, 22. Peter Horne, 23. Niko Matawalu

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:07 pm

For me, Sarries have the stronger starting XV, but Glasgow the stronger bench

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:10 pm

I think Saturday is one of those great Litnus test days for "Scottish Rugby's Revival". Which in general means both will lose. I think Glasgow have as good a chance as any to beat Saracens. However all the comparisons with Twickenham lose their value when you remember that Finn Russell was the man who started it all.
Bizarrely I think it is the backs where Saracens might edge this, a backline of internationals. Two Lions on the wings and another at fly half.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:18 pm

I think we have made a huge error having 4 locks in the squad. If M Fagerson goes off, we have Gibbins at 8 when Ashe is supposedly fit and could be on the bench as the 19. Dropping J Gray to the bench is a surprise but it means the front five will get a boost with him and Nuka coming on. Why has Stewart been dropped in favour of Bryce? It feels like we have missed a trick.

Backline is probably ideal considering the injuries. Shame for Grigg to basically miss the end of the season. Really want the new messiah to set a marker at 13. G Horne coming on to chase the game will be interesting.

Looking at Sarries, they have gone for pure size to begin with. Have to try and isolate them to let Gibbins and Brown get over the ball. Last time, we put the scrum under pressure. Don't see that happening tomorrow. The starting backline is fairly terrifying. Good thing, we have not got many injuries in ours...

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:29 pm

I wonder if our front row could have the edge over Barrington, George and Judge - are those Sarries starting props?

I'ts a good squad, but I do slightly worry about the bench - Bryce, Bhatti and Fusaro specifically - they physically dominated the last 20 in Jan and I can see that happening again. Has McDowell ever played 13 - I thought he was a 12/15? It's a bloody hard position to defend, especially against the threats posed by Sarries.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:32 pm

EST wrote:I wonder if our front row could have the edge over Barrington, George and Judge - are those Sarries starting props?

Barrington and Judge are solid but not in the same class as Mako and Figallo. Slightly surprised that Koch is on the bench, but he has not been on top form.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 29 Mar 2019, 12:46 pm

If Kebble has had his Weetabix tomorrow morning he could have a very very good day come scrumtime.

Look at there backs though, 9-15 all just ooze class. Should be a good game whatever happens.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next