The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps fail to secure yet another coach...

4 posters

Go down

Wasps fail to secure yet another coach... Empty Wasps fail to secure yet another coach...

Post by Rinsure Wed 15 May 2019, 3:37 pm

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-steve-borthwick-16277299

Steve Borthwick revealed as Wasps' latest unsuccessful coaching target

The identity of Wasps' second coaching candidate to have turned down a contract offer has been revealed.
The Times has today reported that England coach Steve Borthwick was the man Dai Young targeted to join the Coventry-based club.
It is understood that former the Saracens and Bath lock gave the offer to return to Premiership rugby 'serious consideration' but opted to remain in the international fold.

Borthwick is the only member of Eddie Jones's England coaching set-up who is set to remain after the World Cup in Japan with scrum coach Neal Heatley joining Bath and the contract of both Scott Wisemantel and John Mitchell both running out upon the conclusion of England's campaign.
Even the future of head coach Jones remains uncertain despite being contracted until 2021.
Borthwick's decision to turn down Wasps makes it a hat-trick of big-name coaches Wasps have approached but ultimately not managed to lure in.

Danny Wilson's success at Cardiff Blues leading them to European Challenge Cup glory in 2018 made him hot property. Wasps secured his signature only for him to have a change of heart and instead join Gregor Townsend in the Scotland nation team backroom staff.

The late u-turn saw Wasps enter the season with a small coaching group of just three beneath Dai Young's direction - with the Welshman repeatedly stressing the need for a quality coach to add to existing personnel.

Edwards opted to remain in international game
Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards then emerged as the front-runner to make a return to the club he left in 2011 after 10 glorious years on the coaching staff.

Edwards opted against adhering to his initial agreement to join Super League side Wigan Warriors creating a bidding war for his services.

Wasps made a contract offer but Young later revealed Edwards turned down the offer to remain in international rugby.

The Welsh RFU later revealed Edwards would not remain with them beyond the World Cup with next head coach Wayne Pivac yesterday suggesting the main stumbling block being 'probably a financial one'.

His next destination has been rumoured to be France but joining the England set-up is not beyond the realms of possibility.

For Wasps, the search to strengthen their coaching resources goes on with Young telling CoventryLive this week he is waiting for guidance from the club on his next move.

He said: "The situation was that I had a number of conversations with different coaches. There’s not been a designated budget for coaches put aside. Basically I needed authority to offer coaches contracts, I was given that authority with Shaun (Edwards) that I could offer him a contract. That obviously went on for a number of weeks before Shaun told us that wasn’t happening.

"I’ve been given authority to put a contract to another coach that was available, but that was unfortunately turned down on Friday.

"I am in a position now where the club needs to tell me what their next move is. There is no designated budget put in place where we can go out and sign coaches – I need that authority to offer coaches contracts. I had the authority to offer two coaches contracts, which I have done, unfortunately they have not come to fruition so I have to wait to see what the next move is and the club have to guide me on what they are prepared to do."

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Wasps fail to secure yet another coach... Empty Re: Wasps fail to secure yet another coach...

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 16 May 2019, 11:36 am

The Wasps gig should be one of the marquee jobs to land in rugby coaching circles. What's going on?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Wasps fail to secure yet another coach... Empty Re: Wasps fail to secure yet another coach...

Post by LondonTiger Thu 16 May 2019, 11:46 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:The Wasps gig should be one of the marquee jobs to land in rugby coaching circles.  What's going on?

Two things I guess. 

1) Funds. Or more accurately lack of funds for this position. Sounds like Dai Young has to identify who he wants, then go to the board to beg for the cash.
2) Looking for the wrong level of coach. The 3 guys they have lost out on maybe have ambitions higher than being the Number 2 at a club that may not finish in the top half of the table. Wilson did agree to join but he had been in charge at Cardiff and was swayed my international possibility. Edwards has been Head Coach at Wasps already and was unlikely to be interested in going back unless he was in complete charge. Borthwick has his eye on an improved position withing the England set up.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Thu 16 May 2019, 12:10 pm

Pretty much agree with both those points, and worth pointing out they are likely interlinked, as the high profile coaching staff will want the bigger bucks.

There's a certain Joe Worsley plying his trade as defence coach in Bordeaux who might be worth a look, being an ex-Wasp and all...

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 16 May 2019, 12:20 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:The Wasps gig should be one of the marquee jobs to land in rugby coaching circles.  What's going on?

Is it a marquee job?

1. Wasps are widely known to have financial troubles and the promised modern training centre hasn't arrived.
2. You are not the top man, this is very much the Dai Young show and the job is as his number 2 as much as the position is called head coach.
3. Homegrown players are allegedly unhappy over broken promises. Daly has already gone and there's rumours Launchbury could follow.
4. Last year's big signing was a flop and Wasps have gambled the big money on another Kiwi.

Looking at that why would Borthwick who's seen his fellow international coach go into the top job at Quins or Edwards that will be offered various top jobs or cushy international coaching jobs consider this move?

There are Championship level DOR/HCs that would jump at the chance or the possibility of signing job specific coaches from other prem teams or Pro14. Whomever it is needs to be good at organising a defence...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down