The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish rugby end of season awards

+4
tigertattie
jimbopip
BigGee
RDW
8 posters

Go down

Scottish rugby end of season awards Empty Scottish rugby end of season awards

Post by RDW Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 am

Scotland

Player of the year
Young player of the year
Most improved player of the year
‘Must do better’ award
Moment of the year

Edinburgh

Player of the season
Young player of the season
Most improved player of the season
‘Must do better’ award
Moment of the season

Glasgow

Player of the season
Young player of the season
Most improved player of the season
‘Must do better’ award
Moment of the season

Miscellaneous

Favourite Scottish club trophy win of the season
606V2 honorary mention for services to the forum

Feel free to add any awards you see fit.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scottish rugby end of season awards Empty Re: Scottish rugby end of season awards

Post by RDW Tue May 28, 2019 3:52 am

Scotland

Player of the year - Finn Russell. He's probably had his most consistent season ever for Scotland.
Young player of the year - Jamie Ritchie - probably our player of the 6N
Most improved player of the year - Ali Price, who has recovered his early career form to cement himself as Scotland #1
‘Must do better’ award - Jonny Gray, who has stalled this season
Moment of the year - the last 40 at Twickenham - absolute madness!

Edinburgh

Player of the season - Bill Mata, who has been colossal. Nakawara-esque in his impact over the season
Young player of the season - Darcy Graham - at the beginning of the season he was just a promising youngster. Now he's one of the first names on the teamsheet.
Most improved player of the season - Chris Dean, who has been consistently very good all season
‘Must do better’ award - Simon Hickey - started the season well but his form nosedived when he lost his place. He'll be on decent money so needs to start showing it
Moment of the season - Toulon away, not just because we won but because of the way we played - some amazing attacking rugby. Showed we can do it!

Glasgow

Player of the season - Ali Price
Young player of the season - Matt Fagerson
Most improved player of the season - Kyle Steyn, mainly because 4 months ago no one knew who he was!
‘Must do better’ award - Glasgow's recruitment for next season, which is so far pretty underwhelming
Moment of the season - despite the result the final was a special occassion.

Miscellaneous

Favourite Scottish club trophy win of the season - 1872 cup obviously  Very Happy
606V2 honorary mention for services to the forum - I've taken over as Founder this season and the first thing I did was appoint a load of new mods. They're all doing a great job but as this is a Scottish thread special mention to Biggee who has really stepped up to the plate, and is now an expert at sending warning PMs.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scottish rugby end of season awards Empty Re: Scottish rugby end of season awards

Post by BigGee Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 am

Scotland
Player of the Season - I will go with Finn as well, just for the way he orchestrated the last 40 mins at Twickenham
Young Player - Jamie Ritchie or Darcy Graham, I can't decide
Most Improved - Sam Johnson, took to international rugby like he was born to it
'must do better' - Probably JG, but only because we know what he can do
Moment of the year - can only be Twickers, I don't think we will ever see that again

Glasgow
Player of the season - Matt Fagerson, whoes form lead us to the final
Young Player - Stafford McDowell, who has the potential to become very good indeed
Most Improved - Adam Hastings, who really grew up as a player this season and showed there is life after FR
Must do better - Huw Jones, injuries effected him, but he has not earned his corn yet in a Glasgow shirt
Moment of the season - Going to go for two again, it would have been the final if we had won, but it was memorable none the less, not least because I was there. But the Ulster game was also very special

Edinburgh

POS - Bill Mata, without a doubt
YPOS - Ritchie or Graham, to close to call
Most improved - Chris Dean is a good call
Must do better - the coaching team for their poor tactics
Moment of the season - losing to Glasgow at Scotstoun in their final game of the season!

Misc
Glasgow did not win any trophies this year, but I am pretty happy with our season, no shame in losing out to both Sarries and Leinster, who we know are the two best teams in Europe. I guess we can live with our big brother holding the 1872 cup for another year, but we know that they would rather be in the European Cup!

606V2 is still a place I enjoy coming to and surprisingly becomming a Mod has not diminished that enjoyment. Thanks to all the Scottish posters for making our threads the fun places they are to while away a few hours of the week and in particular to Jimbo, whoes continued struggles with the quote functions provides us with an even lighter moment or two!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue May 28, 2019 4:53 am

BigGee wrote:Scotland
Player of the Season - I will go with Finn as well,me too, mainly because he reminds me of David Campese in the way that twenty-nine players on the field, and all the fans and officials, are tuned into one frequency and all moving to the same rhythm when suddenly the genius says, "You're all listening to the wrong radio station. Listen to this!"
Young Player - Jamie Ritchie Should be learning the words to "Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese"
Most Improved - Sam Johnson, took to international rugby like he was born to it thumbsup
'must do better' - Probably JG, but only because we know what he can do except we don't really. I'm beginning to doubt that he has the personality to mould games to his will; see Finn Russell
Moment of the year - can only be Twickers, I don't think we will ever see that again Wait till we fight back from 45-0 against the Blackness in the final.

Glasgow
Player of the season - Matt Fagerson, whoes form lead us to the final thumbsup
Young Player - Stafford McDowell, who has the potential to become very good indeed Scott Cummings, for realising that Jonny Gray can only do so much.
Most Improved - Adam Hastings, who really grew up as a player this season and showed there is life after FR
Must do better - Huw Jones, injuries effected him, but he has not earned his corn yet in a Glasgow shirt Shooey Halanukonuka, I hope he had a good look at Cian Healey in the final and made notes.

Moment of the season - Going to go for two again, it would have been the final if we had won, but it was memorable none the less, not least because I was there. But the Ulster game was also very special. The demolition of the Luvvies that set us up for the run to the final.

Edinburgh

Must do better - the coaching team for their poor tactics Everyone at Luvvie Central for being so limp at the business end of the season.
Moment of the season - losing to Glasgow at Scotstoun in their final game of the season!Throwing the towel in against Ulster when they could have made the play-offs

Misc
Standing outside Celtic Park as 47 000 fans were making their way in; I received a text message from Big Gee, we arranged to meet in front of the Jock Stein statue in ten minutes. I turned to relay this info to Ian Bru and the bloke standing next to him said, "Don't bother Jimbo I'm here already!"
606V2 is still a place I enjoy coming to and surprisingly becomming a Mod has not diminished that enjoyment. Thanks to all the Scottish posters for making our threads the fun places they are to while away a few hours of the week and in particular to Jimbo, whoes continued struggles with the quote functions provides us with an even lighter moment or two! Struggles? Titanic battles rather.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue May 28, 2019 5:30 am

Scotland

Player of the year - Mabozza
Young player of the year - Graham (Micro)
Most improved player of the year - Slammin Sam (the hand off man, not the failed league convert)
‘Must do better’ award - Jonny G
Moment of the year - The try to take us into the lead in "that" game. But also the try that let England resuce a draw (my god we need to learn from that not to swtich off in games)

Edinburgh

Player of the season - Big Bill
Young player of the season - Darcy
Most improved player of the season - I'm going with Bradbuy for shaking off his "head bump" troubles
‘Must do better’ award -Henry the non passing 9
Moment of the season - Humping the unwashed (again) to retain the only silverware either team has won (again) this season

Glasgow

Player of the season - Bob Harley (excluding his knock ons in the final)
Young player of the season - G Horne (some player that boy)
Most improved player of the season - Adam Hastings (for getting over his yips mid season)
‘Must do better’ award - The entire Glasgow "pack"
Moment of the season - Qualifying for the euro 1/4 by coutresy of Edinburgh giving you a hand

Miscellaneous

Favourite Scottish club trophy win of the season - There can be only one - the 1872 cup
606V2 honorary mention for services to the forum - GC for being the new Admin boy (yet hardly ever being here anymore, we miss you Admin boy)

Other awards of note:
Brain Fart of the Year - Pierre Schoeman
The Naymar Awards for services to the performing arts - Beirne
The hear no evil see no evil award - Mike Adamson for standing beside Nige, just nodding away without having any active input
The Al Kellock award for doing well without being spectacular - Bennetton Rugby for thier league standing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue May 28, 2019 5:32 am

Mabozza?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 am

RDW wrote:Mabozza?

Ritchie
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 am

You're gonna have to explain that one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue May 28, 2019 5:37 am

My childish humour is beneath you sir!

Jamie Mabozza Ritchie
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue May 28, 2019 5:38 am

picard

That was pretty cryptic even by 606V2 nickname standard!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue May 28, 2019 5:50 am

RDW wrote:picard

Big Gee taught me everything I know!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 am

RDW wrote:picard

That one is almost as old as I am.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue May 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Can't believe Scott Cummings is getting passed over for a young player of the season award. Who would have guessed he would be Glasgow's best tight 5 player in a Grand Final? Apart from his mum, that is.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue May 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Thing is he was pretty average for most of the season - it's only in the last month or so that he's stepped up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue May 28, 2019 1:19 pm

RDW wrote:Thing is he was pretty average for most of the season - it's only in the last month or so that he's stepped up.

Timing is everything!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue May 28, 2019 3:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Scotland
Player of the Season - I will go with Finn as well,me too, mainly because he reminds me of David Campese in the way that twenty-nine players on the field, and all the fans and officials, are tuned into one frequency and all moving to the same rhythm when suddenly the genius says, "You're all listening to the wrong radio station. Listen to this!"
Young Player - Jamie Ritchie Should be learning the words to "Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese"
Most Improved - Sam Johnson, took to international rugby like he was born to it thumbsup
'must do better' - Probably JG, but only because we know what he can do except we don't really. I'm beginning to doubt that he has the personality to mould games to his will; see Finn Russell
Moment of the year - can only be Twickers, I don't think we will ever see that again Wait till we fight back from 45-0 against the Blackness in the final.

Glasgow
Player of the season - Matt Fagerson, whoes form lead us to the final thumbsup
Young Player - Stafford McDowell, who has the potential to become very good indeed Scott Cummings, for realising that Jonny Gray can only do so much.
Must do better - Huw Jones, injuries effected him, but he has not earned his corn yet in a Glasgow shirt Shooey Halanukonuka, I hope he had a good look at Cian Healey in the final and made notes.

Moment of the season - Going to go for two again, it would have been the final if we had won, but it was memorable none the less, not least because I was there. But the Ulster game was also very special. The demolition of the Luvvies that set us up for the run to the final.

Edinburgh

Must do better - the coaching team for their poor tactics Everyone at Luvvie Central for being so limp at the business end of the season.
Moment of the season - losing to Glasgow at Scotstoun in their final game of the season!Throwing the towel in against Ulster when they could have made the play-offs

Misc
Standing outside Celtic Park as 47 000 fans were making their way in; I received a text message from Big Gee, we arranged to meet in front of the Jock Stein statue in ten minutes. I turned to relay this info to Ian Bru and the bloke standing next to him said, "Don't bother Jimbo I'm here already!"
606V2 is still a place I enjoy coming to and surprisingly becomming a Mod has not diminished that enjoyment. Thanks to all the Scottish posters for making our threads the fun places they are to while away a few hours of the week and in particular to Jimbo, whoes continued struggles with the quote functions provides us with an even lighter moment or two! Struggles? Titanic battles rather.

Is there an award for Best Use Of Quote Function? We could have a contender. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed May 29, 2019 4:15 am

Quote "jimbopip wrote:

Is there an award for Best Use Of Quote Function? We could have a contender. Whistle

I win

#IdidAJimboOnPurporse
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 am

BigGee wrote:
RDW wrote:Thing is he was pretty average for most of the season - it's only in the last month or so that he's stepped up.

Timing is everything!

So is consistency!

We joke about the 1872 cup, but it is worth remembering how utterly dominant Edinburgh's pack were in the first two legs, which ultimately led to Gilchrist and Toolis being the locks of choice for the entire 6N. Cumming wasn't even in the squad for those games, although I can't remember if he was injured. Yes Glasgow convincingly beat us in the 3rd leg but our pack was on its last legs but that point and Edinburgh's season had already nosedived.

One thing's for sure though it is going to be a full on battle royale to get on the plane in the 2nd row, and when was the last time we could say that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 am

I don't think Cummins was ever playing that badly throughout the season, he just was not getting a starting slot in the team.

His run of form started a lot further back than the run in to the end of the season. He was playing very well in the 6N window and remember got picked ahead of JG for the quarter final game at Allianz Park.

SC burst on to the scene as a very promising youngster a few years back and then, I think dislocated a shoulder and missed a chunk of the next season and also seemed to get a bit of second season syndrome. To his credit though he just seems to have knuckled down and got on with his work and improved as a player. He is still only 22 and should be coming into his prime over the next few seasons.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed May 29, 2019 4:58 am

At the risk of being a single-issue fanatic: young Cummings' body language is fantastic.

I first saw him live when he came on as a replacement at Rugby Park against Racing 92and he was smiling and relaxed and looked the embodiment of someone who was truly in their element. That is exactly how he looked on Saturday at Celtic Park.

If I had criticism of him it would be that he appeared to find professional rugby just a wee bit too easy and was, perhaps, a wee bit lackadaisical. It looks as if Cowboy Dave has knocked those foolish ideas out of his head.

I know it won't happen ….but on current form I'd take him to Japan: Ickle Jonny 50/50.

Tigertattie Laugh Laugh Laugh You make I smile.

Mrs Pip's response, #IMarriedAJimboByAccident.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 29, 2019 4:59 am

He may not have been playing badly but I do remember watching Glasgow games through the season (particularly after Christmas) and wondering what he was adding to the game, as he wasn't overly noticeable. He looked like a lost boy against Sarries (the entire team did to be fair) but managed to redeem himself in the final that's for sure.

To be clear I'm happy to see Cummings in the squad and he's earned his place, I'm just not getting too carried away as a couple of good performances does not make a world cup quality lock. As we all know it's a huge step up to international level never mind a world cup and he'll probably only have a couple of games in the summer to get up to speed.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed May 29, 2019 7:13 am

In retrospec maybe I shouldnt have said I did a Jimbo!!!

Moving on

Cummings is a good player, but Ritchie Gray is a good player and proven at international level. I still say Ritchie should be in the squad ahead of Cummings. I'd like to say that Ritchie is only suffering form benig out of the loop being in France, but then Frodo hasnt been overlooked so it doesnt make sense!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Thu May 30, 2019 2:13 am

Ritchie has spent a large amount of this season unavailable with a back injury that required surgery. He is now back in the first team at Toulouse and will (hopefully) have two big games (T14 semi final and final) to show us his wares. Frodo has arguably had his best season of domestic rugby sharing the kicking duties and playing time roughly 50-50 with Parra, who will miss the rest of the season(ankle injury). So he has a great change to guide Clermont to the T14 title. Should be a great final if the these top 2 teams make it to Paris.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 am

How fantastic that we are arguing about which young players were the best this year. 

Richie, Steyn, Johnson, Cummings, Horne, Graham, MacDowell as new talents who all look test class. 

Guys like the Fagersons, Russell and the Mish continuing to improve and look increasingly influential at test level. 

Now all we need is a number 8 of a reasonable size with hands dissimillar to cold jubblies and we are progressing as a squad. 

Guys like Bradbury and Gilchrist need to turn the dial up. 

Should be an interesting World Cup.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 am

Scotland

Player of the year - Ritchie was the standout
Young player of the year - Darcy Graham
Most improved player of the year - Haircut (he keeps getting more assured with each intl) and honorable mention for Ali Price
‘Must do better’ award - Frodo, his leadership was woeful during the 6Ns and his play not much better. He needs to step up if he wants to be 1st choice.
Moment of the year - Easily the second half of the England game. Sam's try to complete the madness

Edinburgh

Player of the season - Mata, easily
Young player of the season - Darcy Graham
Most improved player of the season - Chris Dean. Really stepped up with Scott's injuries and is now first choice.
‘Must do better’ award - Duncan Hodge. Leaving would definitely be doing better. He must have a lot of photos from the SRU bunga bunga parties to still be there.
Moment of the season - Beating Toulon in such style was pretty special

Glasgow

Player of the season - Haircut has really stepped up for Glasgow as first choice 10
Young player of the season - George Horne with honorable mention for Fagerson and the new Messiah
Most improved player of the season - Scott Cummings for forcing himself into contention for a Scotland place
‘Must do better’ award - Huw Jones by a long way. He's just not producing the goods, and him on form could make the difference in tight games like the final

Misc

The unsung coach award - the 606v2 scottish contingent. Without whom toonie wouldn't be able to select teams for love nor money.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri May 31, 2019 5:02 am

Scotland

Player of the year: I think this player has made a big impact in every game he's played for Scotland this season. Never too flashy but super consistent. The one and only Sean Maitland. Champions Cup winner and possibly a 2 x Premiership winner soon too, making him Scotland's most decorated player currently.

Young player of the year: Darcy Graham - He has been so impressive for Scotland and despite some reservations about his size has more than proved himself with some stellar Scotland performances. A real star in the making who could do some big things in the RWC assuming he makes the squad.

Most improved player of the year: Magnus Bradbury - Injury was a real constraint for Bradbury but the way he tore his way back into the Scotland squad was impressive and he looked very powerful against England, scoring a lovely try as well. Honourable mention to Straus for getting himself back in the squad and Ali Price for keeping Laidlaw out of the 9 shirt.

‘Must do better’ award: Stuart Hogg - He has set the bar so high that we all have huge expectations from him. Injuries have been a problem for Hogg too but he has been below his best at times this season and still has ground to make up. Darcy and Kinghorn are snapping at his heels.

Moment of the year: Undoubtedly, the intercept by Russell where he juggled the ball and scored under the posts against England to make it 31 -31. That was the moment of realisation that Scotland may actually pull off one of the greatest comebacks in rugby history, which, despite Johnson's try, sadly wasn't to be.. (Fraser Brown!!Doh)

1872 Cup Winners Edinburgh

Player of the season: Schoeman - He has been a beast in that pack for Edinburgh and has a big future ahead of him.

Young player of the season: Darcy Graham - Electric pace and physical ball carrier, his sit down of Mathieu Smaili against Toulon to score in the corner was a standout.
Most improved player of the season: James Johnstone - I thought his partnership with Dean was very impressive and helped Edinburgh score some really good try's. His form tailed off a bit towards the end but overall a very good season for him in his second year with Edinburgh, a crucial cog in the Edinburgh backline.
‘Must do better’ award - Henry Pyrgos - He did some really good stuff early on in the season but towards the end he looked slow to get the ball away and seemed to playing very slow (to the gameplan?). Either way, he has definitely frustrated fans at times with his slow service and slow box kicks.

Moment of the season - Beating Toulon and Montpellier, the round the back of the head offload from Mata to Johnstone for the last try against Toulon was just sublime.

Glasgow

Player of the season: Ali Price - He made a big comeback and has looked like a player who has stepped his game up a gear, for Glasgow and Scotland.
Young player of the season: Matt Fagerson - really come along this season and looks a physical player who will only get better.
Most improved player of the season: Grant Stewart - Topped off with an early replacement display in the Pro14 fianl vs Leinster scoring a beauty in the corner.
‘Must do better’ award: Huw Jones - Kept out of the 13 shirt by Kyle Steyn, he needs to find a way back into that starting XV.
Moment of the season: Obliterating Ulster at home in the Semi Finals.

Miscellaneous

606V2 honorary mention for services to the forum: Jimbo for his entertaining posts which take me a good while to discern (who needs sudoku) RDW for continuing the forum itself!  

Scotland Cringe moment: Flashback to the 00's with that loss to France picard

Edinburgh Cringe Moment: Edinburgh lose to Kings picard

Glasgow Cringe Moment: Glasgow loss to kings picard

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down