The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2

+22
LeinsterFan4life
Galted
Pr4wn
jimbohammers
dummy_half
Dolphin Ziggler
king_carlos
msp83
Good Golly I'm Olly
VTR
Eyetoldyouso
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
Pal Joey
James100
eirebilly
guildfordbat
Gooseberry
KP_fan
robbo277
Duty281
LondonTiger
26 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2 - Page 20 Empty ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Jun 2019, 12:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Table

New Zealand5 9 1.591
England581.862
Australia580.812
India471.029
Bangladesh55-0.27
Sri Lanka54-1.778
West Indies530.272
South Africa53-0.193
Pakistan53-1.933
Afghanistan50-2.089
Pool Fixtures

Thu, May 30 
10:30 England vs South Africa  (The Oval)

Fri, May 31 
10:30 West Indies vs Pakistan (Trent Bridge)

Sat, Jun 1 
10:30 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka (Cardiff)
13:30 Afghanistan vs Australia (Bristol)

Sun, Jun 2 
10:30 South Africa vs Bangladesh (The Oval)

Mon, Jun 3 
10:30 England vs Pakistan (Trent Bridge)

Tue, Jun 4 
10:30 Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka (Cardiff)

Wed, Jun 5 
10:30 South Africa vs India (Southampton)
13:30 Bangladesh vs New Zealand (The Oval)

Thu, Jun 6 
10:30 Australia vs West Indies (Trent Bridge)

Fri, Jun 7 
10:30 Pakistan vs Sri Lanka (Bristol)

Sat, Jun 8 
10:30 England vs Bangladesh (Cardiff)
13:30 Afghanistan vs New Zealand (Taunton)

Sun, Jun 9 
10:30 Australia vs India (The Oval)

Mon, Jun 10 
10:30 South Africa vs West Indies (Southampton)

Tue, Jun 11 
10:30 Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka (Bristol)

Wed, Jun 12 
10:30 Australia vs Pakistan (Taunton)

Thu, Jun 13 
10:30 India vs New Zealand (Trent Bridge)

Fri, Jun 14 
10:30 England vs West Indies (Southampton)

Sat, Jun 15 
10:30 Australia vs Sri Lanka (The Oval)
13:30 Afghanistan vs South Africa (Cardiff)

Sun, Jun 16 
10:30 India vs Pakistan (Old Trafford)

Mon, Jun 17 
10:30 Bangladesh vs West Indies (Taunton)

Tue, Jun 18 
10:30 England vs Afghanistan (Old Trafford)

Wed, Jun 19 
10:30 New Zealand vs South Africa (Edgbaston)

Thu, Jun 20 
10:30 Australia vs Bangladesh (Trent Bridge)

Fri, Jun 21 
10:30 England vs Sri Lanka (Headingley)

Sat, Jun 22 
10:30 Afghanistan vs India (Southampton)
13:30 New Zealand vs West Indies (Old Trafford)

Sun, Jun 23 
10:30 Pakistan vs South Africa (Lord’s)

Mon, Jun 24 
10:30 Afghanistan vs Bangladesh (Southampton)

Tue, Jun 25 
10:30 England vs Australia (Lord’s)

Wed, Jun 26 
10:30 New Zealand vs Pakistan (Edgbaston)

Thu, Jun 27 
10:30 India vs West Indies (Old Trafford)

Fri, Jun 28 
10:30 South Africa vs Sri Lanka (Edgbaston)

Sat, Jun 29 
10:30 Afghanistan vs Pakistan (Headingley)
13:30 Australia vs New Zealand (Lord’s)

Sun, Jun 30 
10:30 England vs India (Edgbaston)

Mon, Jul 1 
10:30 Sri Lanka vs West Indies (Riverside Ground)

Tue, Jul 2 
10:30 Bangladesh vs India (Edgbaston)

Wed, Jul 3 
10:30 England vs New Zealand (Riverside Ground)

Thu, Jul 4 
10:30 Afghanistan vs West Indies (Headingley)

Fri, Jul 5 
10:30 Bangladesh vs Pakistan (Lord’s)

Sat, Jul 6 
10:30 India vs Sri Lanka (Headingley)
13:30 Australia vs South Africa (Old Trafford)

Knock Out Fixtures

To Follow

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu 20 Jun 2019, 11:36 am; edited 4 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2 - Page 20 Empty Re: ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2

Post by VTR Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:24 am

I don't think they will score 500. I'd say the bowling as a unit is about the same as Australia, but Australia have the two best bowlers across the two teams. That wasn't the immature part of your post though.

VTR

Back to top Go down

ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2 - Page 20 Empty Re: ICC Cricket World Cup - Part 2

Post by KP_fan Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:25 am

VTR wrote:I don't think they will score 500. I'd say the bowling as a unit is about the same as Australia, but Australia have the two best bowlers across the two teams. That wasn't the immature part of your post though.

Some Eng fans are back-pedaling:whistle:
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:27 am

Nope, find the post where I said they'd make 500. Then find the one where I said England had far superior bowling to Australia. You'll be looking for a long time....

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:29 am

It was only the spirited response from Bangladesh that made the game bearable. The worst fears about this World Cup being a hitter v hitter competition is back on track after a promising enough start. Warner made the best use of the pedestrian bowling served up by Bangladesh. and more importantly the life that they offered him when he was only in 20s. Khawaja and Finch also tucked in pretty well.
Tamim once again got some runs without converting it into a big innings, and for once, Shakib had a relative failure. But Mushfiqur and Mahmudullah made sure Bangladesh kept up the fight till the very end.
Bangladesh are still not out of it, their bowling has to somehow reach serviceable levels though to convert an outside chance into something more.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:35 am

VTR wrote:Nope, find the post where I said they'd make 500. Then find the one where I said England had far superior bowling to Australia. You'll be looking for a long time....

Who is the best side in this competition in your view ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:37 am

By the way are the umpires most trigger happy when Australia are in the field? Will have to study it more closely, but I have a strong feeling the most umpire's calls in favour of the bowler have come against Australia. Carlos Brathwaite had made a similar point after their game against Australia... Yesterday it was Liton Das just when he was looking good. And probably if it was an Australian batsman, the umpire's call would have been not out...
They need to standardize this nonsense, umpire's call has nothing to do with the triditions of the game, conventionally, the benefit of doubt went to the batsman and not the umpire. This is the most ridiculous part of the DRS system that needs to be fixed at the earliest.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:39 am

Based on what I have seen it's India so far, they seem to have really turned up in form with all aspects of their game firing.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:55 am

msp83 wrote:By the way are the umpires most trigger happy when Australia are in the field? Will have to study it more closely, but I have a strong feeling the most umpire's calls in favour of the bowler have come against Australia. Carlos Brathwaite had made a similar point after their game against Australia... Yesterday it was Liton Das just when he was looking good. And probably if it was an Australian batsman, the umpire's call would have been not out...
They need to standardize this nonsense, umpire's call has nothing to do with the triditions of the game, conventionally, the benefit of doubt went to the batsman and not the umpire. This is the most ridiculous part of the DRS system that needs to be fixed at the earliest.

Its the bit that was in there to appease the BCCI who couldnt understand error calculations and probability. I do agree its a little problematic, but it can only benefit the batsman right. If the ball is shown to be just clipping and it was given not out they stay not out, if its shown to be missing and they were given out its overturned. 
DRS is more often used by batting than bowling teams and has a higher success rate for batsmen than it does bowlers. Its led to less outs rather than more. 
Your point about benefit of the doubt to batsmen is incorrect in this case, DRS figures and the way on umpires call works give more benefit of the doubt to batsmen not less.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:06 am

Sri Lanka batting first after winning the toss. England unchanged.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:12 am

Sri Lanka finally drop Thirimanne (one of the worst bats in international cricket) for exciting youngster Avishka Fernando - also bring in the leg spinner Jeevan Mendis. A stronger looking XI for them today I'd say

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:22 am

Sri Lanka should not be written off just yet. On their day they can still beat any team. A very good toss for them to win and they have the bowling to defend a decent total, should they get one.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:27 am

Gooseberry wrote:
msp83 wrote:By the way are the umpires most trigger happy when Australia are in the field? Will have to study it more closely, but I have a strong feeling the most umpire's calls in favour of the bowler have come against Australia. Carlos Brathwaite had made a similar point after their game against Australia... Yesterday it was Liton Das just when he was looking good. And probably if it was an Australian batsman, the umpire's call would have been not out...

Its the bit that was in there to appease the BCCI who couldnt understand error calculations and probability. I do agree its a little problematic, but it can only benefit the batsman right. If the ball is shown to be just clipping and it was given not out they stay not out, if its shown to be missing and they were given out its overturned. 
DRS is more often used by batting than bowling teams and has a higher success rate for batsmen than it does bowlers. Its led to less outs rather than more. 
Your point about benefit of the doubt to batsmen is incorrect in this case, DRS figures and the way on umpires call works give more benefit of the doubt to batsmen not less.
What DRS needs is consistency. If the ball is shown to be hitting the stumps, the batsman on his way, if it is missing then he stays. Either you really go with the technology or you don't. The technological projections may be imperfect, but they would be uniformly imperfect for all. Not that the stronger bullies would get greater benefits.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:32 am

eirebilly wrote:Sri Lanka should not be written off just yet. On their day they can still beat any team. A very good toss for them to win and they have the bowling to defend a decent total, should they get one.

The only match theyve won away from home since Jan 2018 were against Afghanistan and Scotland. Theyve not beaten a top 8 team outside Aisa since the Champions trophy. 

Their day does not happen very often. Theyve been poor for a long time.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:33 am

msp83 wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

What DRS needs is consistency. If the ball is shown to be hitting the stumps, the batsman on his way, if it is missing then he stays. Either you really go with the technology or you don't. The technological projections may be imperfect, but they would be uniformly imperfect for all. Not that the stronger bullies would get greater benefits.

The first part I agree on reagrdless. Im not sure about the Aus theory, its not something Ive noticed but you could well be correct and its a good reason to trust the technology over the umpires.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:38 am

Good Lanka is batting first. Not that it would likely be making much of a difference as their batting, bowling and fielding have become so incompetent. But we wouldn't have to watch England piling up 450 and Sri Lanka folding for 250. And if somehow if Kusals or Mathews manage to have a good day and put some runs up on the board, that might give their bowling something to work with in the form of scoreboard pressure.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:40 am

Gooseberry wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Sri Lanka should not be written off just yet. On their day they can still beat any team. A very good toss for them to win and they have the bowling to defend a decent total, should they get one.

The only match theyve won away from home since Jan 2018 were against Afghanistan and Scotland. Theyve not beaten a top 8 team outside Aisa since the Champions trophy. 

Their day does not happen very often. Theyve been poor for a long time.

It doesn't read good, I will grant you that but I always have a very uneasy feeling playing against Sri Lanka.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:43 am

Well now, this is some start by England.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:45 am

Dimuth Karunaratne was a surprise call for Sri Lanka ODI team captaincy as he wasn't even a team regular till this year, and it was not any great domestic performance that got him into the side, more like everyone else just were far too useless. But he has had a decent enough tournament so far, one of the very few Lankan batsment who showed a bit of fight.
Archer has taken him out in his first over, and that's Lanka's half the lineup gone just like that.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:46 am

One of the Kusals is also done for the day, Sri Lanka going on expected lines.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:46 am

3/2 ...possibly not their day today

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:46 am

Blimey, what a terrible start after choosing to bat. Sri Lanka will have to play defensively in the power play now

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

What do we make of Morgan's comments before the game? He won't rest anyone until we're in the semi-finals.

Win today and we'll be on 10. Sri Lanka will be capped at 10. Bangladesh, Pakistan and West Indies will be able to get a theoretical 11. So we'll be a point away from getting there. West Indies, Pakistan and Bangladesh will all play before we play again so we could be done by then.

I guess it makes sense. We lost 1 game, if we'd rotated that may have been 2 games, and then there are no guarantee on the final 3 games. If we win today the job is 99% done, so we'll have a chance to rotate.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:59 am

Bit of guts from Fernando, Archer short ball for 6 then driven for 4 on a length. 
Very expensive over.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:03 am

the pitch has some nibble for seamers and bounce & carry....so 270 would be a fighting total against normal team...

It has been pointed out that those "normal" yardsticks do not apply tho "this" Eng team.....so maybe they will chase it down in 35 overs
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:14 am

If you posted 270 on this pitch, I would expect the vast majority of teams in this World Cup to chase it down. 310 minimum. Probably 340+ needed against England.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:17 am

First 5 overs of Archer and he is generally down on pace.....mid / high 130s
6th Game in a row and his body is "demanding" rest....but Morgan refuses to listen.

I remember on the 2014 tour of Eng Bhuvi started at 135kph and the amount of bowling Dhoni subjected him to....he was going at 118kph by th 4th test
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:18 am

After that disastrous start for Sri Lanka , Fernando has counter attacked in emphatic style...some fine drives and no messing about dealing with the short ball : raced to 41 from just 31 out of their 49/2.

Impressive batting thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:21 am

Cant say I have seen or know anything about this Fernando lad but he really does look like a very good prospect.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:29 am

Brainfade from Fernando. Still, an excellent little innings and he looks exactly the type of player SL should be building around going forward.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:30 am

Well that's the end of Fernando. A big shame for Sri Lanka that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:31 am

Goodness that's a soft dismissal having played so well.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:32 am

Mathews is now the crucial remaining wicket for England, get him out before he gets set and I feel that Sri Lanka will struggle to get 200.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:44 am

Matthews hasnt been much of an ODI player for years and in rank form this world cup.
Dont expect more than a plodding 50 to hold things together at best

Sri Lanka cant be looking at more than just batting out 50 overs now and if they can passing 250 in the process

Some help for the seamers but it's a fast outfield and runs are their for stroke makers. Given Sri Lanka have one good fast bowler ( and hes not that fast anymore) it's hard to see how England could mess up a chase aside from going too hard at the slow bowlers trying to compete with Morgans record.

Last edited by Gooseberry on Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:45 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Sri Lanka finally drop Thirimanne (one of the worst bats in international cricket) for exciting youngster Avishka Fernando - also bring in the leg spinner Jeevan Mendis. A stronger looking XI for them today I'd say

Hate to say I told you all so on Fernando...but I did Wink

Nonsense that Thirimanne still plays tbh, shouldn't be near the squad.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:46 am

robbo277 wrote:What do we make of Morgan's comments before the game? He won't rest anyone until we're in the semi-finals.

Win today and we'll be on 10. Sri Lanka will be capped at 10. Bangladesh, Pakistan and West Indies will be able to get a theoretical 11. So we'll be a point away from getting there. West Indies, Pakistan and Bangladesh will all play before we play again so we could be done by then.

I guess it makes sense. We lost 1 game, if we'd rotated that may have been 2 games, and then there are no guarantee on the final 3 games. If we win today the job is 99% done, so we'll have a chance to rotate.

Makes sense to me tbh - once we're confirmed in then we can do as we please, but no point messing about potentially risking it (albeit the risk is very very low we don't make it now, even if there is a loss today).

Also there is plenty of time between games, so one game off for players should suffice, particularly for the bowlers.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:00 pm

Moeen on ...obviously England are concerned about mathews scoring rate 2 off 18

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:24 pm

Mathews genuinely batted at a better strike rate than this in the test series last winter
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:31 pm

I don't know what Sri Lanka are thinking of. They're on track for 250, 270 if they push. Do they think they can defend that? I get not wanting to go too hard after 300 and ending up with 200, but against this England side 270 can't be seen as enough.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:36 pm

Rashenius!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:36 pm

133-3 goes to 133-5 in two balls and now even 250 looks a long way away. Doubling at 30 would give 266, but the wickets will worry them.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:36 pm

Robbo getting to 40 overs is looking a struggle for them, at that time they will think of chucking the bat. But even batting conservatively theyve lost wickets. Fernando was brave and did well, but the team simply isnt good enough to do that. 
At least we might get to watch 50 overs of one innings this way.

Mathews certainly just isnt capable of fast scoring anymore. Look back at his record, even when hes made runs its been slow (by modern standards) for years.

Last edited by Gooseberry on Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:36 pm

Think I'll be having an earlier night. Sad to see SL reduced to this sort of effort.
Makes you wonder if there isn't some match fixing going on for scoring under 250... or maybe 200 with that last wicket. Hope not.

Had to switch over to the Tour of Slovenia for a change of scenery. Nice foothills and rivers...

Last edited by Pal Joey on Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:37 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Rashenius!

He's arrived at the World Cup!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:41 pm

Should say, these two can bat and Perera to come can biff it - albeit he's very much one of those "one in 20" he comes off types, but when he comes off he does damage and does it quick!

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:43 pm

Udana is no mug either but its a bit late for them now.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:44 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Robbo getting to 40 overs is looking a struggle for them, at that time they will think of chucking the bat. But even batting conservatively theyve lost wickets. Fernando was brave and did well, but the team simply isnt good enough to do that. 

Mathews certainly just isnt capable of fast scoring anymore. Look back at his record, even when hes made runs its been slow (by modern standards) for years.

But what's the point of batting through the 50 for 240ish if it's not going to be a match-winning score?

Plan A: Bat sensibly. Aim to get 250. Chance of getting 250 - 50%. Chance of defending 250 - 5%. Win chance - 2.5%.
Plan B: Go for it. Aim to get 300. Chance of getting 300 - 5%. Chance of defending 300 - 50%. Win chance - 2.5%.

I've set the percentages so that both have the same win percentage. But are we saying it would be harder for them to make 300 batting first than it would be to defend 250? I'd say they have no hope of defending 250, so really Plan B is better.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:53 pm

robbo277 wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Robbo getting to 40 overs is looking a struggle for them, at that time they will think of chucking the bat. But even batting conservatively theyve lost wickets. Fernando was brave and did well, but the team simply isnt good enough to do that. 

But what's the point of batting through the 50 for 240ish if it's not going to be a match-winning score?

Plan A: Bat sensibly. Aim to get 250. Chance of getting 250 - 50%. Chance of defending 250 - 5%. Win chance - 2.5%.
Plan B: Go for it. Aim to get 300. Chance of getting 300 - 5%. Chance of defending 300 - 50%. Win chance - 2.5%.

I've set the percentages so that both have the same win percentage. But are we saying it would be harder for them to make 300 batting first than it would be to defend 250? I'd say they have no hope of defending 250, so really Plan B is better.

Because they wouldnt make 300 even if they batted like they were trying, but could end up all out. 
Its all risk reward. 250 almost certainly will lose, but it has a better chance than 200. 300 of course is better of course. 
Losing two wickets for 3 runs doesnt really leave you a choice to try and build a platform then hope to accelerate if that works out. Instead fernando showed off a bit and got out without adding enough to change the game. mathews simply cant score at run a ball rate anymore and has tried to build with mendis. that didnt work and they got out. 
Now its just desperation time where every run matters. Chucking away wickets trying to get fairy tales is an option but theyve gone for the slow grind. 

There is always a chance that England will panic and flail against their bowling. Increasingly small of course. 
their talk pre game was to limit England to under 300 to have a chance, so they wouldve been looking at a score 300 or less from the start unless things had gone really well for them. 

Ultimately the problem with not being very good is that you arent very good and whatever you do it tends to leave you exposed to not being very good.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:53 pm

Yeah, has to be Plan B. Go for broke.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:57 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
robbo277 wrote:

Because they wouldnt make 300 even if they batted like they were trying, but could end up all out. 
Its all risk reward. 250 almost certainly will lose, but it has a better chance than 200. 300 of course is better of course. 
Losing two wickets for 3 runs doesnt really leave you a choice to try and build a platform then hope to accelerate if that works out. Instead fernando showed off a bit and got out without adding enough to change the game. mathews simply cant score at run a ball rate anymore and has tried to build with mendis. that didnt work and they got out. 
Now its just desperation time where every run matters. Chucking away wickets trying to get fairy tales is an option but theyve gone for the slow grind. 

There is always a chance that England will panic and flail against their bowling. Increasingly small of course. 
their talk pre game was to limit England to under 300 to have a chance, so they wouldve been looking at a score 300 or less from the start unless things had gone really well for them. 

Ultimately the problem with not being very good is that you arent very good and whatever you do it tends to leave you exposed to not being very good.

Didn't realise you were England's strategy manager for the 2015 World Cup Goose! Sri Lanka have nothing to play for but aren't playing like it. I joke about the 2015 thing obviously, but they need to have their moment and just go out and play with no worries about what will happen if it goes wrong. They are going home anyway.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 21 Jun 2019, 1:00 pm

Interviewer: Jimmy Anderson which do you prefer hitting the winning run in a game or taking a winning wicket?
Jimmy Anderson: I dont ever remember having hit a winning run
Interviewer : How about batting out to save a game like you did in Cardiff with Panesar. Is that almost as good as taking the winning wicket? 
Jimmy Anderson: No you haven't won
Jimmy Anderson: I didnt actually hit a ball in the whole 2007 world cup

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next