The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2019

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Wimbledon 2019 - Page 3 Empty Wimbledon 2019

Post by sirfredperry Sat 29 Jun 2019, 10:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Fair weather, at least for the first few days, beckons at Wimbledon. There's a roof on number one court, which is excellent news for those with tickets for that court and for the organisers if the rain arrives.

Djoko is my favourite for the title followed by Federer. Rafa has a difficult draw but how often have we seen tricky draws work out simply due to the fact that projected opponents fall by the wayside.

Difficult to make a case out for anyone outside the top three having a good run. Last year Anderson and Isner made the semis but have not played much this season. Not sure Tsitsipas or Thiem really have the game for grass.

Predicting a women's champion is far from straightforward. Barty is the new number one and with that terrific BH slice could do extremely well. Kerber looked very good in beating Halep at Eastbourne and Pliskova has a chance, although her Wimbledon record is woeful.

You can never rule out Serena and, as I said before the French, practically all the top players have a chance. Intriguing first-round match between Coco Gauff (aged 15) and Venus (aged 39).

This year sees a tiebreak kick in at 12-12 in the final set. It just remains to be seen just how much talk the BBC come up with before showing any action when they start the programmes. Thank God for the red button.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2019 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon 2019

Post by No name Bertie Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:15 pm

If I felt that Kyrgios could pose a challenge for the title then I would support him - but I know he is likely to lose in the third round or fourth round - and pose a zero challenge in this tournament at the business end.

Nadal however, despite his known problems with this tournament following 2012 - it seems he has somehow adapted his game to become at least competitive again for the QF and SF and maybe final. So I have to root for Nadal. At least with Nadal you know he will always put in the maximum effort even if his body is no longer capable of it (on grass at least).

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:17 pm

@ Just John : can’t agree with that. Today, at least, he’s playing tennis, within the rules, and is putting in a lot of effort. Unlike say, Tomic, the other day who probably does deserve a ban.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:29 pm

Ok, Kyrgios IS now going too far in his rants at the Umpire .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:56 pm

Can’t remember a match quite like this before. Ever.

Nadal won a game to go 5-4 (but on serve) - and celebrated as if he had just won the title itself !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:58 pm

I would be surprised to see much fight from Kyrgios in the fourth set - from past experience he is likely go in a sulk at some point and then lose by one or two breaks of serve.  

That is why he has only reached two Quarter finals in slams - the last being back in Jan 2015 at the Australian Open.  He has only recently turned 24 (two months ago) hence there is still time for him to change his attitude - presumably it is lack of preparation / effort in training that is the root of the issue.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 04 Jul 2019, 7:12 pm

If Kyrgios' serve is energy efficient and effective - then in principle - as long as he had the match and tournament fitness - his results should be far better than what they have been in grand slams. So perhaps his serve isn't so energy efficient or effective?

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 04 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

Glad Nadal won, Kygrios' behaviour is frankly ridiculous. You get the feeling Nadal was waiting to get revenge from the time Kygrios beat him at Wimbledon in their previous meeting

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:08 am

Nadals last three Wimbledons:
2016: absent (injured)
2017: loses in 4th round to Gilles Müller: 3-6 4-6 6-3 6-4 13-15
2018: loses in SF to Novak Djokovic: 4-6 6-3 6(9)-7(11) 6-3 8-10

In both 2017 and 2018 he put up Herculean efforts and got knocked out in extended fifth sets.  In 2018, if he had got past Djokovic he would have likely beaten Kevin Anderson in the final (whom Djokovic demolished).

Now it seems to me the weather conditions are going to be hot and dry for most (if not all) this tournament - perhaps creating conditions on centre court that might be described as a dust bowl - were the grass becomes worn away.   This seem like the conditions suited for Nadal.  Which makes me think that maybe Nadal has a good chance of winning this year at Wimbledon - which would be his third Wimbledon title and 19th grand slam title.

Djokovic is aiming for his fifth Wimbledon title and his 16th grand slam title.

Nadal could be knocked out by a big serving player who plays lights out tennis - but if the grass gets worn away then the advantage would swing over to Nadal.

I suppose that Federer could surprise us, but I think with the conditions, and assuming Nadal maintains his health - then I think this could be a great opportunity for Nadal.

In the third round Nadal faces Tsonga.  Tsonga could pose a threat to Nadal but I don't know what condition he is in - he seems to have been affected by various ailments which means his ranking has dropped to 72.  The last time they played was back in 2015 when Tsonga won in three sets (Shanghai Masters).

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:38 am

Third round matches today. Djoko has a tricky one against Hurkacz but it would still be a surprise if the Pole won. A possible clash with Felix A-A awaits.

Raonic-Opelka could come with free-issue crash helmets for the spectators and line judges. A number of the other men's singles matches could go either way.

Pick of the women's matches is Azha-Halep where, this time, the crowd could need earplugs. Will Gauff be able to keep it up against hard-hitting Hercog?

Saw some of the post-match Kyrgios press conference. The Australian needs little encouragement to talk in headline-grabbing terms.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 9:09 am

So many big upsets already this year, starting in R1. But the biggest so far came yesterday, with defending champ Kerber going out to a lucky loser from qualis, Lauren Davis of the US.

Kyrgios went too far in his abusive rants against the Umpire and was perhaps fortunate to only get a code violation warning. He was upset - and understandably so - that Rafa was taking too long between points and was delaying Kyrgios when he (Kyrgios) was ready to serve. He told the umpire that Rafa should be playing to the speed of the server, as per the rule. The umpire looked very much as though he was about to have words with Rafa during the same changeover ; but ironically Nick was talking for so long that the moment passed, Rafa left his chair, and play restarted.

If we take out all the unwelcome peripheral stuff from yesterday’s match, the tennis itself was of very high quality - from both. Rafa certainly had to work hard and Kyrgios was good enough to deny him a single BP in either of the last two sets. Rafa was solid in both TB’s, although he was pretty much gifted the second, deciding one. If Kyrgios had sneaked one of those TB’s, there could very easily have been a different outcome.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 9:11 am

Looking through my newspaper this morning we have over a page of reporting plus a back page photo on the Nadal game, a page and two photos of Murray, a sizeable report of the Kerber game and then, tucked away, a small bit on Evans making the third round, the only male Brit to do so. I get that Nadal / Murray etc are very high profile and worthy of print but I can't help thinking that Evans just doesn't comply with the stereotypical look and sound of a British tennis player ie seemingly not from an already wealthy background, and for that reason is mainly ignored apart from when reporting his (necessary and correct) ban.

I know the guy made a stupid mistake but he's done his time and fought his way back in tremendous fashion. I admire him greatly. I also just love his style of play which for me (I know, not everyone, it really would be dull if we were all the same) is much more interesting to watch than two guys slugging it out on the baseline

I'd be interested to hear you guys take on how he's progressed

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 9:42 am

@ bradman 99.94 : some excellent points re the skewed press coverage.

It is NOT good, but I can only say that this is nothing new. When -  in previous eras - the likes of McEnroe, Connors, & Nastase used to throw tantrums the media would love it because it provided ‘juicy copy’.

Fast forward to today, and Kyrgios is a huge attraction, but more because of his behaviour rather than his (undoubted) tennis talents. Dan Evans certainly deserves far more respect and attention than he gets. He was outside the top 1000 not too long ago so his climb back up the rankings has been a VERY impressive achievement.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 05 Jul 2019, 10:30 am

@ bradman 99.94

1) I think the general view is that Dan Evans if he knuckles down and puts in the effort in training and preparing is more talented than Kyle Edmund and has greater potential than Edmund in terms of ranking.   Dan Evans is physically at a disadvantage - so must rely more on physical fitness, stamina, court intelligence, and variation.  Though he is the same height as a David Ferrer he seems to have less physicality than a David Ferrer (muscle and elasticity) - so in principle he has the potential of being a poor mans David Ferrer (although with a different talent set).  But Evans is already 29 - so needs to be a "late bloomer" to realise his "potential".

ii) Newspapers and BBC headlining and articles.  Often contains very little in useful content.  They are products of the journalists who write them in line with the demands of their bosses - that has the imperative of being read by the maximum number of an assumed audience (clickbait, pandering to assumed interest, stereotype) + the addition of any "causes" (political or/ and social justice) they are also pushing (very noticeable from the BBC).

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:00 pm

Got to agree with the points that NNB makes. Evans is good to watch and has always had the potential to be at least a top 30 player. Before his ban he was ranking around the 40 mark and on an upward trajectory. Has done well to get back to where he is now and with his Wimbledon points will move further up the rankings.
Just needs to continue to apply himself day after day. He is not going to get a lot of free points off his serve like others do. So fitness will be a big factor on how far he can go.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:10 pm

Wozniacki acting like a child. Claiming Hawkeye is broken. If she didn’t moonball ever point maybe she wouldn’t be getting smashed off the court

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm

Interesting discussion on media coverage. I turned on Radio 5 during French Open and to my delight discovered they had a 1 hour tennis discussion show on. Great I thought - finally we get some coverage of tennis outside Wimbledon fortnight. However, the 1st 20 minutes was spent discussing Kyrgios who's an irrelevance at Roland Garros and not even a pre-eminent Wimbledon contender. The person chairing the panel was so determined to latch onto Kyrgios as some big talking point it completely dominated a large part of the show at the expense of discussing the likes of:

* Next Generation batch of younger players coming through.
* Nadal/Djokovic/Federer.
* Konta, who was already surpassing expectations
* Andy Murray's return to the game.
* Fortunes of Edmund/Evans, etc

Sure, Kyrgios is a valid talking point but more as an aside - a fun item to throw in at the end rather than something to overshadow all other tennis developments. All of that said, yesterday's match was entertaining and I do agree that Kyrgios could have extended it to a 5th set if he'd been more disciplined rather than some of the casual/showboating points which he mostly lost. Nadal was v fired up - combination of Kyrgios' antics and the Aussie rifling a shot hard at him at net (and not apologising later) - made for a feisty encounter.

The coverage of Evans' achievements has been poor - sure he made a mistake but it wasn't performance enhancing cheating. He has had a reputation from LTA, etc for not knuckling down and squandering his talent, but he has been exemplary on his return. He has an excellent chance of reaching the 4th round, and hopefully by making the 2nd week will start to attract a bit of attention then.

On a completely different note has anyone ever been to Wimbledon in 2nd week on a ground pass? MrInvisible junior has a school inset day next Friday and I'm hoping to go with a couple of ground passes. Presumably there'll still be plenty of juniors/veterans/doubles/wheelchair tennis to see? And presumably minimal queueing?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:29 pm

MrInvisible wrote:

The coverage of Evans' achievements has been poor - sure he made a mistake but it wasn't performance enhancing cheating.  He has had a reputation from LTA, etc for not knuckling down and squandering his talent, but he has been exemplary on his return.  He has an excellent chance of reaching the 4th round, and hopefully by making the 2nd week will start to attract a bit of attention then.

The sad thing about Evans's ban was that it came at a time where it looked as though he was establishing himself and finally fulfilling the potential that everyone had seen him to have. Was at or very close to his highest career ranking (41). Perhaps the ban was the best thing to happen to him, made him realise he's only got a handful of years at most to create some sort of legacy.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:31 pm

Zhang outclasses crybaby Wozniacki 6-4 6-2. In 13 appearances at Wimbledon, Wozniacki has never made the second week. And in her 49 major appearances, she's only made the second week 9 times. Quite frankly embarrassing. Wozniacki has to be up there as one of the least talented players to win a major and get to world number 1.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 12:48 pm

There really has been SO much ongoing talk (radio / printed press / social media / internet) about bad boy Kyrgios in the wake of his big encounter with Rafa yesterday.

The official press conference was as weirdly entertaining as his (non-tennis) on-court antics.

Especially notable was just how animated and fired-up Rafa was for a second round match ; perhaps more so than for any other Slam match, other than a Final  ...... and even then, perhaps only the ‘special’ Finals versus the likes of Djoko or Fed. He really, really, wanted that win, and he got it. Kyrgios could have had it IF he had remained as focussed throughout the match as he was in set two.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Fri 05 Jul 2019, 1:22 pm

Straightforward win for Raonic over Opelka - the Canadian looks the most likely semi-final opponent for Djokovic - not a great match-up as Djokovic does well against big hitting big servers with (comparatively) poor movement. Paire now has a 2 sets to 1 lead over Vesely, and I wonder if this is now the end of the road for the Czech qualifier as he has already played a lot of matches.

2 young Russians in action today - Khachanov and Medvedev - Russian male players don't have great record at Wimbledon - Kafelnikov and Safin both hated the grass, and not seen anything from Khachanov and Medvedev to suggest they've developed their grasscourt game so expect wins for Bautista Agut (already in strong position in 1st set) and Goffin. Verdasco v Fabbiano looks v tough to call. Hoping to catch some of Felix Auger Aliassime's match later.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 05 Jul 2019, 2:46 pm

Andy Murray is going to be playing an awful lot of tennis if he gets to the later rounds of the mens doubles (best of five sets; 6 rounds) and mixed doubles (best of three sets; 6 rounds). His first round match in the Mens Doubles went to four sets (2 hours 28 minutes). He is due to play a first round match in the Mixed Doubles today and a second round match in the Mens Doubles tomorrow.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 05 Jul 2019, 3:21 pm

Anderson two sets down to Pella. Wins for RBA, Raonic and Paire. Caroline W out after having a right set-to about Hawkeye.

Pliskova thru as well as (not) Muchova - perhaps she should change her name to Hellova (player)- and also winning today was Yastremska who is not 19 until next week.

Jamie M and Skupski have just bowed out in the doubles.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 3:55 pm

Impressive stuff from Pella to take out Anderson, last year’s Finalist, in straight sets. Wonder how much further he can go ..... ??

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 05 Jul 2019, 4:18 pm

Tremendous penultimate point in the Pella match, with a fantastic rat-a-tat-tat at the net bringing up MP.

Anderson never really got going today. His ground strokes weren't biting and he hit too many UEs. Doubt whether Pella has played much better but I would still make Raonic favourite in their match on Monday.

Djoko has just taken the first set 7-5 against Hurkacz. Azhashrieker and Halep (who for once will be the quieter of the two players) in the early stages on Centre.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 05 Jul 2019, 5:15 pm

Simona Halep beat Victoria Azarenka 6-3 6-1, easy work for the Romanian

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 05 Jul 2019, 5:16 pm

Hurkacz wins the second set vs Djokovic on the tie break. The Pole has been very good

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Fri 05 Jul 2019, 5:16 pm

Pella is a bit of a giant-killer - he defeated Cilic at last year's Wimbledon and I seem to recall he's done well for Argentina in Davis Cup. I'm probably inclined to agree with SFP though that he's unlikely to beat Raonic on Monday.

Paire came through against Vesely earlier - dare I say it but perhaps the talented but hot-headed Frenchman is finally starting to get some consistency in his slam results.

Medvedev 2 sets to 1 up against Goffin whilst Verdasco is firmly in control 2 sets up against Fabbiano.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 05 Jul 2019, 6:10 pm

It seems to me if Hercog quickly runs through the second set to beat 15 year old Gauff - then the Williams - Murray mixed doubles match will start on centre court. Otherwise it may end up on another court.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Just John Fri 05 Jul 2019, 6:43 pm

Horrible, horrible bottlejob, browning of the pants there by Hercog. 15 year old should of been sent packing right there.

Just John

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 05 Jul 2019, 7:12 pm

Gauff is garbage, typical BBC narrative kissing her ass

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Just John Fri 05 Jul 2019, 8:14 pm

Gauff wins

Halep up next. From what I’ve seen, that will be the end of the 15 year old, and probably in straight sets.

Just John

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 05 Jul 2019, 8:20 pm

Just John wrote:Gauff wins

Halep up next. From what I’ve seen, that will be the end of the 15 year old, and probably in straight sets.

Yeah, most likely. I doubt Nate will be watching.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 05 Jul 2019, 8:21 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Gauff is garbage, typical BBC narrative kissing her ass

Yep, you’re absolutely spot on. She is indeed ‘garbage’ - unlike all the other 15 year-old kids who will of course be appearing in the second week of Wimbledon, and who are, by contrast, hugely talented.

What is it that possesses you to write this sort of stuff ..... Headscratch Headscratch

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 7:32 am

A remarkable win by Gauff. Interesting that she is more than just a ball-basher and was able to match her opponent slice for slice.

Agree that Halep should be too much for her. But the Romanian is not a huge hitter and, to me, the way to beat someone like Gauff is to hit big.

Not surprising that Medvedev-Goffin went to five sets. It looked a close match on paper. With Felix A-A, Khachanov and Medvedev all dumped out, it was hardly another good day for the younger brigade.

Konta and Dart in action today. I can't see Dart getting more than a handful of games against Barty, who will murder the Briton's second serve. Konta, for some reason, usually has little trouble with Stephens. But if the American is on top form she'll win.

Dan Evans has a winnable match against Sousa but it may be tough. Tsonga will have to be fit and in top form to really trouble Rafa.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 06 Jul 2019, 8:41 am

Agreed, young Gauff very unlikely to get past Halep. Best one can hope is that she maintains her calm composure puts in a competitive performance. Certainly nerves don’t seem to have affected her thus far but we shall see next week.

And yes, we have the Darty-Barty-Party today  Cool  (but I just nicked that line from Five Live radio)

Tsonga at his best can trouble Rafa (in fact .... more than just trouble him, as we know !) but I think his lack of high-level match experience in recent times will let him down, and suspect Rafa - in current impressive form - will ease through.

Despite the many (unexpected) casualties in week one, I think there are still some very intriguing matches to come.

Djokovic still title favourite but Nadal really not far behind, methinks. Just can’t see any other winner this year ..... and the next gen are still not ‘there’ when it comes to the Slams.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 9:30 am

Lags72 - The next gen seem to particularly underperform at Wimbledon. Thiem, for example, has gone out in the first round in his last two Wimbledons.

Of those thru to the fourth round, only Humbert is a young man. A number of those likely to win third-round matches today are in their late 20s or 30-somethings.

But the youngsters need not despair. There's plenty of guys around who have blossomed comparatively late in their career. Think Stan the Man, Anderson, Isner, Fognini.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 06 Jul 2019, 10:11 am

sirfredperry wrote:... Thiem, for example, has gone out in the first round in his last two Wimbledons ...
The rise of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray gave the impression of a certain uniformity of surface.  Maybe in the post "big four" era - there will be the return of the specialists?  Another factor is that the "big four" were always able to peak physically at least four times a year.

Rafael Nadal especially was branded by some as a talentless moonballer with a simple repetitive physical baseline style.  But the fact nobody in the generations that followed him was able to get anywhere close to him (same for Djokovic, Murray, Federer) - all showed that whatever he has is fairly unique / idiosyncratic - that cannot be trained into the next generation at the School of Moonballing Excellence.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 06 Jul 2019, 11:00 am

sirfredperry wrote:

But the youngsters need not despair. There's plenty of guys around who have blossomed comparatively late in their career. Think Stan the Man, Anderson, Isner, Fognini.

Hmm .... I’m not so sure about that, sfp.

Stan has definitely starred with his fabulous ‘late’ success, for sure. Three out of the four Slams is hugely impressive, by any measure. I’d say he’s an isolated case.

You cite Anderson, Isner, Fognini : all top players, of course. But the reality is that they have a total of just two Masters level titles between them. And I think if all the current ‘NextGen’ guys finished up in their 30’s with that sort of tally, it would be a serious disappointment - to themselves, and to tennis aficionados.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 06 Jul 2019, 11:39 am

lags72 wrote:Agreed, young Gauff very unlikely to get past Halep. Best one can hope is that she maintains her calm composure puts in a competitive performance. Certainly nerves don’t seem to have affected her thus far but we shall see next week.

And yes, we have the Darty-Barty-Party today  Cool  (but I just nicked that line from Five Live radio)

Tsonga at his best can trouble Rafa (in fact .... more than just trouble him, as we know !) but I think his lack of high-level match experience in recent times will let him down, and suspect Rafa - in current impressive form -  will ease through.

Despite the many (unexpected) casualties in week one, I think there are still some very intriguing matches to come.

Djokovic still title favourite but Nadal really not far behind, methinks. Just can’t see any other winner this year ..... and the next gen are still not ‘there’ when it comes to the Slams.

I was quite unimpressed with him yesterday - at times looked quite stiff, especially on serve and forehand. To me it looked as though he's carrying some sort of niggle (right side or back at a guess). Was good enough to find a way to win, but it was far from vintage Djokovic.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 06 Jul 2019, 12:00 pm

@ dummy_half - no, he didn’t look great yesterday. And no, it wasn’t exactly vintage stuff.

But he has won Slams before when seemingly not at his best in early rounds. He tends to come good when it matters and will be difficult to beat. Hard to bet against him.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 12:58 pm

Nishi about to win in straight sets against Johnson. Kvitova - anyone fancy her for a third Wimbledon title? - and Suarez-N already thru.

Anyone backing Djoko shouldn't be bothered about an indifferent performance early on. It's rare to win a Slam playing brilliantly all the way thru (unless you're Rafa at the French, that is).

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 1:41 pm

Almost a practice hit for Barty on Centre against a pretty hopeless Dart.

Bencic in complete meltdown in her match allowing Riske - another screamer - to win. Next up for the American will be Barty so that should be exit time for Riske.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 06 Jul 2019, 1:43 pm

sirfredperry wrote:............ It's rare to win a Slam playing brilliantly all the way thru (unless you're Rafa at the French, that is).

I guess a fair definition of winning a Slam whilst playing ‘brilliantly’ throughout would be to do so without dropping a set ; a feat which is indeed something of a rarity.
Just five men have managed it in the Open era and I believe the hard facts are :

- Rosewall (AO x 1)

- Nastase (RG x 1)

- Borg (W x 1 and RG x 2)

- Federer (AO x 1 and W x 1)

- Nadal (RG x 3)

Meanwhile ..... oh dear this is not good for poor Harriet.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 06 Jul 2019, 1:50 pm

Dart's serve is very weak it's allowing Barty to relentlessly bully her.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 1:52 pm

Lags72: Some good stats there. Be interesting to see which champion dropped the MOST sets and still took the title. Fed probably dropped more sets at the AO in 2017 than in any other GS title run.

Dart at least on the board now. Bit daunting playing your first CC match against the number one with a huge crowd plus celebs watching. Didn't seem to phase Coco yesterday, though!

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 06 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Lags72: Some good stats there. Be interesting to see which champion dropped the MOST sets and still took the title. Fed probably dropped more sets at the AO in 2017 than in any other GS title run.

Dart at least on the board now. Bit daunting playing your first CC match against the number one with a huge crowd plus celebs watching. Didn't seem to phase Coco yesterday, though!
Federer dropped 7 sets in 2017 AO, pretty sure Goran also dropped 7 sets at Wimbledon in 2001

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 2:22 pm

At least Dart now put out of her misery. She won just 27 points in 14 games. Bit like playing one of the best players in your local club's championships and hoping to get a couple of games at most.

I see Mertens has won which keeps open the delicious possibility of a Bertens v Mertens fourth-rounder.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 2:49 pm

I see a J. Garland is playing in the girls' tournament at Wimbledon. Wonder if she'll be over the rainbow if she wins?

Sandgren has taken a, somewhat surprisingly, two sets to love lead after a marathon second-set tiebreak. Looks like the Bertens-Mertens match up might not happen, as Kiki is a set and a break down.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Jul 2019, 4:05 pm

J(udy) Garland is out, alas. Tsonga's UEs making it easy for Rafa on Centre, where the crowd have had poor fare today.

Andy M and partner sliding to defeat in the men's doubles.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 06 Jul 2019, 4:19 pm

Is Ashleigh Barty a shrieker / screamer?   I stopped watching women's tennis some time ago and from then my interest in it waned.  But it seems to me that Barty has appeared from nowhere and now seems like she could become someone to dominate women's tennis for a long time.  

Of course this is early days.  Looking at her wikipedia page - she took a break from tennis to become a cricketer - finding the WTA tour too much for her she took a break when 18 and returned when nearly 20.   Now she is 23.   At 5' 5.5" tall she is dimunitive, but her results indicate she is now packing quite a punch.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum