The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition

+2
BigGee
LordDowlais
6 posters

Go down

The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition Empty The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition

Post by LordDowlais Mon 01 Jul 2019, 12:52 pm

Well, it's been bandied about for a few months now, but it seems as though it is now all official. Last season's top six Welsh Premiership clubs will play in a cross-border competition against Scottish Super 6 sides at the end of the 2019-20 season.

This is massive for domestic rugby in Wales, and should generate a lot more interest, I wonder what our fellow Scottish members think of this ? I for one am very excited, there are a lot of clubs in Scotland, with a lot of heritage, I for one will welcome these clubs with open arms. Heriot's, Melrose, Stirling County and Watsonians are a few that automatically spring to mind, I cannot wait to see these clubs rock up at the Wern.

This I think will make the gap between the fully pro sides and the semi pro sides a lot smaller, and it gives a real shot in the arm for those of us who would rather support the more traditional format of the game we all love.

Please read further:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48710369

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition Empty Re: The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition

Post by BigGee Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:00 pm

Well that was part of the promise for the super 6 and they do seem to have delivered on it, it certainly has the potential to help drive up the standards in the Scottish league but I wonder that if, certainly in the shorter term, we might find ourselves struggling a bit as the standard of club rugby in Wales is surely starting from a higher level than we are currently at.

I don't have much to base that on other than the fact that a lot more people play rugby in Wales and they have historically generally been better than us!

I suppose a more objective assessment would be the old cup games between the English Champions league, Irish provincial side B team and the Scottish and Welsh club teams (I can't even remember the proper name for it!)

I seem to remember that we struggled in it and took a few hammerings.

Still, I am always hopeful for the future and by concentrating our talent in fewer teams, this format could work for us. I imagine it may take a little while for us to get up to speed though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition Empty Re: The Welsh and Scottish are forming their own competition

Post by LordDowlais Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:02 pm

Would you support it BigGee ? If ever you are mosying down to South Wales, give me a shout. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:18 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Would you support it BigGee ? If ever you are mosying down to South Wales, give me a shout. Very Happy

As I am not based in Scotland, I tend to be a generic Scottish supporter and other than Glasgow Warriors, don't have any real preferences. The SR in their wisdom, did not even set up a Super 6 franchise in Glasgow, so did not even give me that option!

In truth though, it would more likely be a Warriors game that would bring me down to Wales from London and does on occasions, it is nearer and easier for me to go to watch in Wales than Glasgow and I have been down to Cardiff a couple of times and to Llanelli to see the Scarlet's. As I am retiring this autumn, I may well have time to do that more often. My sister lives in South West Wales, between Llanelli and Camarthan and I always enjoy my visits, I am down this August to do a bike ride.

I will follow it closely though, through the media and hopefully if it does get some TV coverage as well, do you know if S4C will be showing any of it? There was talk of TV coverage but I have not seen anything confirmed, maybe BBC Alba might pick it up as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:47 pm

BigGee wrote:I will follow it closely though, through the media and hopefully if it does get some TV coverage as well, do you know if S4C will be showing any of it? There was talk of TV coverage but I have not seen anything confirmed, maybe BBC Alba might pick it up as well.

BBC Wales cover the Welsh Prem now, after losing the Pro14, so I would imagine they would take up the baton for this as well, makes perfect sense.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:54 pm

It's good that there are more games for the Super 6 teams - not overly sustainable to only be playing against 5 other teams all season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:54 pm

As this tournament is being played after the regular Welsh Premiership season, I am not sure on the logic of last season's top 6 playing in this end of season competition next year. After all one of them could be relegated next season from the Premiership.

I assume that the hope is a TV deal can be struck up and maybe some sponsorship too to enable the clubs to cover their costs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 01 Jul 2019, 1:57 pm

I think Indigo Group will take over as title sponsors of the competition. They are the ones taking over from Principality for the Welsh prem.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 02 Jul 2019, 7:09 am

I'm looking forward to it very much.

I think that the fact these are Super 6 Scottish teams means that they'll be competitive. Most Scottish club sides didn't look all that clever in the B&I Cup, but this should be a much better set of opposition.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 02 Jul 2019, 8:34 am

Should be good for both sides but was the Super 6 not meant to be on a higher level or were they starting from a very low base.

I know the Irish and Welsh A sides play and thought the Super 6 was meant to be more on this level.

Either way playing teams from outside is always good for a structure as it removes complancey and helps you to gauge standards better. I also think the Super 6 teams should look for 2 places in the European shield like Italy have.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 02 Jul 2019, 8:47 am

The Scottish Super 6 teams are not going to at European level. It is very much a part time professional set up and they are not going to be getting paid very much at all.

I don't think the Scottish sides will be starting from to high a level, but pkdnty of scope to improve

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jul 2019, 8:54 am

Aye we're way off any European competition, even if it is the Shield competition. It is a good target to have but we're not going to get there any time soon.

The teams will basically be made up of current amateur players who will be paid a small amount to train a few more times a week, and SRU academy players looking for a step up from amateur rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 02 Jul 2019, 11:43 am

Maybe the shield is to soon currently but in a few years I think it would be ok. Belgium had a team that got beat badly enough so they would be worse. It probably could also be reformatted to cut down on travel.

I just think with games against Welsh teams and against European teams they would be able to improve playing standards well enough. Also with only two pro teams having a couple of teams with a chance of getting a challenge cup spot must be important

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down