The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!!

+27
4putt
LadyPutt
Collapse2005
pedro
EmmDee57
Nathaniel Jacobs
Davie
JAS
AlciG
navyblueshorts
robopz
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
TexasWedge
ralphjohn69
beninho
wiretapper
GPB
kouchi
Shotrock
dynamark
I'm never wrong
Good Golly I'm Olly
super_realist
kwinigolfer
McLaren
sirbenson
31 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!! - Page 11 Empty The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!!

Post by sirbenson Wed 10 Jul 2019, 10:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Shaneo Lowry!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sirbenson on Sun 21 Jul 2019, 6:38 pm; edited 7 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!! - Page 11 Empty Re: The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!!

Post by dynamark Sat 17 Jul 2021, 11:38 am

Enjoying the golf tbh and would agree on Rorys shot selection couple of glaring errors one from about 75vd came up 18 yd short and a chip from short right way too big just not getting the ball moving to the right areas,Oosty and Mori awesome though.We now have the shot tracer system at our range and went to collect daughter from working there last week Bit early so watched a couple of lads on the range slashing the ball way right and then staring intently at the screen .He was hitting the ball off back foot sliding across the line and couldnt work it out .After a dozen shots I had to say something and hopefully made a difference.the point being the camera will not help if you dont get the basics correct.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!! - Page 11 Empty Re: The Open Championship 2019 - Shane Lowry!!!

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 18 Jul 2021, 8:36 pm

A really fantastic performance from Morikawa all week - when his putter is working, there aren't going to be many times he's beaten with his iron play
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 18 Jul 2021, 9:09 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A really fantastic performance from Morikawa all week - when his putter is working, there aren't going to be many times he's beaten with his iron play

https://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02568.y2021.html

Difference on Strokes Gained Approach in 2021 between Morikawa and Casey in second is the same as difference between Casey and Kokrak in 55th. Absolutely obscene ball striking.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 18 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:A really fantastic performance from Morikawa all week - when his putter is working, there aren't going to be many times he's beaten with his iron play
He also seems like a really decent young man. Quite the achievement to win 2 majors as a debutant. He's pretty unflappable, I think he has the perfect temperament for golf.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 18 Jul 2021, 10:26 pm

Another top major result from Oosty. 4 top 3s in the last 5 majors. Think he deserves a win soon.

pedro

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 18 Jul 2021, 11:27 pm

pedro wrote:Another top major result from Oosty. 4 top 3s in the last 5 majors. Think he deserves a win soon.
Have to feel for the guy after coming up short so often. Hope he bags a couple next year.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 18 Jul 2021, 11:55 pm

And is Poulter sneaking into the Ryder Cup team, as a wild card? I think yes…

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 19 Jul 2021, 12:30 am

pedro wrote:And is Poulter sneaking into the Ryder Cup team, as a wild card? I think yes…

T26th is pretty good for Poulter.

Run

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 19 Jul 2021, 1:04 am

Well played Morikawa. Sank some clutch putts.

And he has very little links experience --- not that RSG played like a typical links course with no wind or rain to speak of.

Never thought Jordan would hold up ... and he didn't. Louie needed to make some birdies ... old man par just won't get it done in these conditions. Koepka a day late and dollar short as they say.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Jul 2021, 7:55 am

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:And is Poulter sneaking into the Ryder Cup team, as a wild card? I think yes…

T26th is pretty good for Poulter.

Run

Think Harrington said he would pretty much be in anyway. Would rather have someone like him or Garcia in a team then a scatter brain schizophrenic like De Chambeau in my team or a serial loser like Mickelson

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Jul 2021, 7:56 am

Shotrock wrote:Well played Morikawa. Sank some clutch putts.

And he has very little links experience --- not that RSG played like a typical links course with no wind or rain to speak of.

Never thought Jordan would hold up ... and he didn't. Louie needed to make some birdies ... old man par just won't get it done in these conditions. Koepka a day late and dollar short as they say.

Funny you should say that SR about old man pars. I actually thought Louis was in his 50's, got quite a surprise when I saw he was only 38.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Jul 2021, 8:02 am

pedro wrote:Another top major result from Oosty. 4 top 3s in the last 5 majors. Think he deserves a win soon.

Oosthuizen seems a nice enough chap, but he kind of has to go and win one of these on a Sunday, doesn't he? Every major its been the same slow bleed of someone else making the decisive move, while he just treads water.
Unfortunately he's just missed probably his best chances to bag another one, seems unlikely he'll be playing as great golf as he is now, come Augusta next April.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 19 Jul 2021, 12:02 pm

Precision iron play beats bomb & gouge again. To be fair it wasn't just the irons was it?? The putting under pressure was superb. But for a cold flat stick, it could actually have been bomber Rahm with the jug, he seemed to miss a huge number of birdie putts but again he also had great iron play supplementing his ability to bomb it.

Back to the drawing board for De Chambeau I'd say. If bombing it cant win in benign conditions like that, you have to wonder when it will and at what venue?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Jul 2021, 12:17 pm

JAS wrote:Precision iron play beats bomb & gouge again. To be fair it wasn't just the irons was it?? The putting under pressure was superb. But for a cold flat stick, it could actually have been bomber Rahm with the jug, he seemed to miss a huge number of birdie putts but again he also had great iron play supplementing his ability to bomb it.

Back to the drawing board for De Chambeau I'd say. If bombing it cant win in benign conditions like that, you have to wonder when it will and at what venue?

St Andrews will be a bombers dream.
Someone like Dechambeau could drive 1,3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 16 and 18. Add the two par 5's being easy to hit in 2 and you have some very easy birdies.

The R and A better get their thinking caps on, because if conditions are benign their precious course is going to look like a laughing stock and even being wild off the tee won't bother the players because there is virtually no risk, especially if you miss left.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Jul 2021, 1:45 pm

Don't really think Bryson's transformation was done with winning The Open in mind - it's what, one event out of 20/25 he plays a year? At least 90% of the other events he plays reward the style of play he now employs.
If Super is correct in what he says about St Andrews, it might come off next year anyways!

It does kind of surprise me golf doesn't have an almost "links" season, of say 4-6 weeks of tournaments played on links courses (similar to how tennis has clay and grass court seasons). Does seem a real shame that even the Euro Tour barely makes any use of the array of links courses about
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Jul 2021, 2:06 pm

European Tour has Open, Scottish Open, Irish Open, Dunhill Links on links courses (aware Irish isn't always links, but usually is).
Isn't that enough?
The European Tour has a far greater variety than PGA.

If a plank like Bryson is going to win an Open then St Andrews represents his easiest chance by far.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 19 Jul 2021, 7:20 pm

JAS wrote:Precision iron play beats bomb & gouge again. To be fair it wasn't just the irons was it?? The putting under pressure was superb. But for a cold flat stick, it could actually have been bomber Rahm with the jug, he seemed to miss a huge number of birdie putts but again he also had great iron play supplementing his ability to bomb it.

Seems like you are making some conclusions on a small sample size.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Jul 2021, 11:03 pm

One version or another of bomb and gouge has been working for about 20 years now, I think what is currently letting down BDC's strategy is BDC. He might have (if he hadn't already?) jumped the shark in having a go at his equipment manufacturer.

Precision iron play like Morikawas will always work, but how many players have ever reached his level? Not many, and certainly not BDC, so you might as well try the bomb and gouge approach.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 25 Jul 2021, 6:26 am

I played TOC yesterday in a virtual flat calm and in conditions where the rough has really died back and flattened.

The R&A are going to be humiliated if they don't trick the course up massively for next year.
Unless they make the greens super quick grow the rough thick, and place pins in impossible places someone is just going to blow the course away now we have this new generation of bombers.

The R&A might even have to rent some wind machines if the weather is as benign as the last month. Without doubt the least suitable course on the Open rota and woefully out of date for modern golf.

If weather is the only defence a course has, then it's not up to scratch.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 25 Jul 2021, 7:28 am

super_realist wrote:I played TOC yesterday
......and you didn't invite Mac? Shame on you Super. Run

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11