The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

+21
eirebilly
Nathaniel Jacobs
compelling and rich
Eyetoldyouso
LondonTiger
Afro
alfie
king_carlos
Duty281
VTR
KP_fan
JDizzle
msp83
Dolphin Ziggler
Jetty
robbo277
Gooseberry
James100
Soul Requiem
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
25 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread - Page 7 Empty England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 17 Jul 2019, 2:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

England have announced their squad for the one off test match against Ireland, it is as follows

Joe Root
James Anderson
Moeen Ali
Jonny Bairstow
Stuart Broad
Rory Burns
Sam Curran
Joe Denly
Lewis Gregory
Jack Leach
Jason Roy
Olly Stone
Chris Woakes

Lewis Gregory, Jason Roy & Olly Stone could make debuts.

James Anderson included & Jack Leach returns.

Buttler and Stokes are rested.

Wood & Archer not considered because of injury. Wood out for 4 to 6 weeks.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 25 Jul 2019, 2:55 pm

The ball starts to reverse and Roy's awful technique is exposed. Until the Ashes are played on pancakes he's a walking wicket

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs Ireland, one off Test - thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 2:56 pm

Leach certainly has the luck of the Irish on his side today doesn't he, plays and misses, lobs just over fielders, flicks just past fielders and a dropped catch. Make the most of it Jack!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 25 Jul 2019, 2:57 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:The ball starts to reverse and Roy's awful technique is exposed. Until the Ashes are played on pancakes he's a walking wicket

Very Happy

Right on cue...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Jul 2019, 2:58 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Bumble's point on Roy was very good at lunch. Roy doesn't need to worry about the run rate etc, he just needs to play his natural game now. Never force it, just play
He tried to force it

? He's missed a drive, that is his natural game!

Come on, he was notably looking to go at something he's got nowhere near and he's looked itchy to get at something. There was a lack of control in that

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 2:59 pm

alfie wrote:
Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:The ball starts to reverse and Roy's awful technique is exposed. Until the Ashes are played on pancakes he's a walking wicket

Very Happy

Right on cue...

To reappear around 6pm tonight when Moeen is out for 10 (21)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:01 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Bumble's point on Roy was very good at lunch. Roy doesn't need to worry about the run rate etc, he just needs to play his natural game now. Never force it, just play
He tried to force it

? He's missed a drive, that is his natural game!

Come on, he was notably looking to go at something he's got nowhere near and he's looked itchy to get at something. There was a lack of control in that

We can't say he should play his natural game, then go "oh crap he's got out playing expansively" when playing expansively is his natural game. He's literally said this himself
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:02 pm

There's definitely a line between playing naturally and playing something s***

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:07 pm

Also I know it's never going to happen, but I'd definitely be in favour of just chucking in the youngsters in Sibley and Crawley to open and Roy at 3 going forward.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:13 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Also I know it's never going to happen, but I'd definitely be in favour of just chucking in the youngsters in Sibley and Crawley to open and Roy at 3 going forward.

Well it certainly won't happen overnight , Olly. But it could , down the road a little. They are young...

Though I think if Roy does succeed in settling into the team it will be as an opener. The way he plays he'd be vulnerable either way ; and I think the "shock and awe" effect is better utilized from the start rather than in that rather more necessarily flexible role at three.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:15 pm

I would prefer him at three, and two new openers to come in and learn and grow.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:16 pm

Well, I hate cricket forever now. Leach gone for 92, having survived many scares

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:16 pm

Did Leach make a deal with the devil before play today?

Ah he's gone. Bugger, albeit can't say it wasn't coming
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:17 pm

Leach dropped at slip ! Tougher chance this time...but he's riding his luck .

Deserves some , mind , for the spirited effort he's put up. I'm willing him for eight more runs...ah rats !

Caught this time...alas no hundred Sad

But well played Jack clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:18 pm

Top innings from Leach. England would have been properly in the mire, but a fellow with a FC average of 10 and a previous HS of 66 has bailed them out! Sport is cruel; probably the closest Leach will ever get to a test ton.

Opening for Ireland now. Two new batsmen at the crease.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:20 pm

Anyway the game is live again now as England are effectively 60/3 with rather a lot of all rounders to come... Those wickets will have given Ireland a lift.

Time for Cap'n Joe to play an innings.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:21 pm

Marvellous effort by Jack Leach. Not only is he the best spinner in England but he showed that fool Moeen how to bat as well

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:21 pm

England are now 60 ahead with three wickets down.  Don't know how Leach managed to get to 92 when his batting average from this ground in county cricket is 4.7 runs / innings with a top score of 9 (according to the BBC)

Last edited by No name Bertie on Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:23 pm

Since the start of the Sri Lanka tour, Root has batted 13 times in test matches. 6 times he's been out for single figures. Twice he's made a century. Averaging a snip above 30.

Pressure growing, perhaps.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:38 pm

Four hours of play and we've had a whopping 49 overs!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:49 pm

Root sells Denly down the Thames. Farce.

Ireland still well in the game and they'll really fancy it if they get Root out in the next few overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:51 pm

oh dear denley, not a great way to cement your place.

game on this! don't think we'd need loads but need another 150 at least

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:53 pm

compelling and rich wrote:oh dear denley, not a great way to cement your place.

game on this! don't think we'd need loads but need another 150 at least

oops thought it was the other way round. really poor from someone of roots experience

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:58 pm

Bairstow out now. Should not be playing, clearly not up for it after the World Cup, has had an awful match. England still in danger of losing this one.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 25 Jul 2019, 3:59 pm

big trouble now

ali's a walking wicket these days

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:00 pm

Aside from 2016 when Bairstow went through a purple patch, the rest of his Test career he averages 29. Bairstow isn't a test batsman.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:01 pm

Duty281 wrote:Big innings for some of England's players - specifically Burns, Denly and Bairstow who all have something to prove.

Oh dear. Burns and Bairstow - another blow to their reputations!

Starting to look doubtful that England will bat three sessions, let alone five. They need a lead of at least 175 to be favourites.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:02 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Big innings for some of England's players - specifically Burns, Denly and Bairstow who all have something to prove.

Oh dear. Burns and Bairstow - another blow to their reputations!

Starting to look doubtful that England will bat three sessions, let alone five. They need a lead of at least 175 to be favourites.

175 is fair, but that only requires another 100 with 5 wickets and Root there.

If any of Moeen, Woakes or Curran can hang about with him, then there is another 100 run partnership to be had. A 100 partnership and a 50 one would set us right up.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:03 pm

Looks like Kpf could've won some of the money he lost backing anyonebutengland in the role cup if hed put it on Leach as to run scorer in the game.

This is a silly game.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:11 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Aside from 2016 when Bairstow went through a purple patch, the rest of his Test career he averages 29. Bairstow isn't a test batsman.

It is beginning to look more and more like that year was an exception, rather than the rule. A Ballance-esque dominant year...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:21 pm

This next session, two and a half hours, will probably decide the test. Either Ireland instigate another collapse and find themselves chasing a more-than-gettable sub-150 score, or England ride out the storm and take the lead beyond 200.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:29 pm

In related news, Jofra is playing for Sussex in the Blast tomorrow. Back in contention for the First Ashes Test?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:31 pm

Outside of the immediate, Archer has been passed fit to play for Sussex in a T20.

There's a world of difference between bowling 4 overs in a county T20 and bowling 4 spells in a day of test cricket, but does Archer now come into consideration for the first Ashes test?

I'd be more tempted to go with Woakes at Edgbaston, but should Anderson miss out or Broad not fire in the second innings, Archer will definitely feature strongly in discussions.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:47 pm

Ali edges one for 9, doing nothing really as he puts his bat there. That 92 from Leach could be extremely significant today, tomorrow and next month.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:48 pm

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Aside from 2016 when Bairstow went through a purple patch, the rest of his Test career he averages 29. Bairstow isn't a test batsman.

It is beginning to look more and more like that year was an exception, rather than the rule. A Ballance-esque dominant year...
We agree on something...must be this weather Yahoo

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:49 pm

Another tortured outing for Moeen. A mere two test 50s in the last 22 months for him.

97/6. Woakes and/or Curran must deliver a punchy 30+.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

compelling and rich wrote:big trouble now

there it goes, wouldn't class him as a all rounder anymore. looks more like a broad batting now (funnily enough broad was half decent with the bat when he first came through)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

Rubbish batting from Moeen as usual. I have no issue with him in the side batting at 8 if he's bowling well, but having him as one of the top 6 (obviously batted 7 here) is not going to work. Similar feelings on Bairstow as well, good number 7, not a top 6 batsman

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

England really need to accept Moeen shouldn’t be batting higher than 8/9 at this point.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:52 pm

It's really difficult to view Moeen as a batting asset against Australia. His playing of the short ball is just so poor. Starc, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood with the last generation duke ball will just bombard him.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:56 pm

VTR wrote:Rubbish batting from Moeen as usual. I have no issue with him in the side batting at 8 if he's bowling well, but having him as one of the top 6 (obviously batted 7 here) is not going to work. Similar feelings on Bairstow as well, good number 7, not a top 6 batsman
Bowled through the gate once again for Bairstow. I agree that 7 is his best spot if keeping. Without the pressure of keeping then I think he could make a good number 5. The stats about his drop off in average in the second innings whilst keeping are really interesting, suggests fatigue being an issue.

Foakes did little wrong to be left out. He's the better keeper by a mile as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 4:59 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:big trouble now

there it goes, wouldn't class him as a all rounder anymore. looks more like a broad batting now (funnily enough broad was half decent with the bat when he first came through)

Broad used to be capable with a bat in his hands until the injury he sustained against India. Now he's pretty much a number 11 - averaged 8 in test cricket last year.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:02 pm

5 and 6 are too high up the order in this test, it seems even with Leach coming in to open and scoring 92. But with Stokes and Buttler to return that pushes everyone down two spots.

A lot resting on Root now. He's got two able batting partners in Woakes and Curran and he has to get us another 100 runs at least in partnership with those around him.

It's a close game, but I don't think it will necessarily end that way. Whichever team is under more pressure in the 4th innings will crumble somewhat, and either Ireland will win by 7 wickets or we'll win by 50 runs. If Root and the tail can pull something out here then we can make sure it's Ireland under pressure.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:07 pm

alfie wrote:

Very Happy

Right on cue...

Good call.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:10 pm

Well, Root is doing anything here, so little Sam or Sir Chris are the last hopes

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:11 pm

Galted wrote:
alfie wrote:

Very Happy

Right on cue...

Good call.

Rather optimistic about how long Mo would last Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

Root goes chasing a wide one. He batted like an out-of-form player and Ireland tied him down and frustrated him brilliantly. Good line and length from the Irish all day - very persistent and sticking to their plans.

117/7. This is the last meaningful partnership as you can't expect too much from Broad and Stone.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:14 pm

We've had a lot of counter-punches from our lower order that have changed test matches. A lot riding on them to do it again. How do they play it? Back themselves to stay in or try and attack before the new ball?

15 overs, could get 75 runs and hope that's enough?

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:21 pm

These are Englands best two batsmen in now (not even joking after recent summers).

I CBA to look up the stats but going back to Nathanial SAVAGING of Bairstow if you take out their best year which other England players would average over 30 in tests. Root and.... ?

Ok there goes woakes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

England just can't resist the wide deliveries. Haven't even batted 100 overs against a division two standard bowling attack of dibbly-dobblers and England have lost 17 wickets. Australia next week!

This latest collapse is 77 runs for 7 wickets.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:England just can't resist the wide deliveries. Haven't even batted 100 overs against a division two standard bowling attack of dibbly-dobblers and England have lost 17 wickets. Australia next week!

Fortunately the Aussies can bowl straight and when ones edged it will be fast enough to carry to the boundary. England will be just fine Whistle

This is an all time low for England

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next