The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time

+16
stevetynant
Stone Motif
Kingshu
Rugby Fan
Irish Londoner
LordDowlais
SecretFly
carpet baboon
LeinsterFan4life
demosthenes
Brendan
RugbyFan100
profitius
No 7&1/2
BamBam
Pot Hale
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time - Page 4 Empty The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time

Post by Pot Hale Tue 23 Jul 2019, 5:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

“A British League will happen in two years’ time,” a leading club chairman told The Rugby Paper. “It will happen because it is the best outcome for the game in the four home countries and for CVC. It will appeal to the Welsh regions in particular and the Premiership clubs”, according to a report in The Rugby Paper. “Commercially, they (Welsh) could be as much as 50 per cent better off. It will be important to have all four Irish provinces on board but, if necessary, we will go ahead and do it without them.”

Leaving aside the implications for the Irish, Italian and South African clubs, does this possibility excite?

Last edited by Pot Hale on Tue 23 Jul 2019, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Jul 2019, 10:53 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:If we want to keep up with other professional sports then this is the only way we can go. At the moment, British and Irish rugby is not sustainable at this level, never mind trying to keep up with other sports, and getting to the next level.

They know deep down it is going to happen. They just don't want to risk the good thing they've got going in the Pro14 - which enables them to have success in Europe by resting so many stars in the league. If there was a British and Irish League, they wouldn't be able to do that as much.

Munster CEO:

Despite giving his backing to what he believes is an improving Pro12, he would welcome the inception of a British and Irish league.

“It is something that will be discussed in the future but the current Aviva Premiership clubs have a good deal. It will take a little bit to tempt them into that but given the Irish population that lives in England, it is certainly attractive having Irish teams going in.

“They have to look at what bringing the teams in would bring to the market itself.

“If you want to compete long-term with what’s going on in France TV-wise, that’s probably the ultimate goal.”

Keith Wood:

"For me, there always has been a - I can't say it's a perfect route but a good route is I still believe in having a league system based with Britain and Ireland. The idea of trying to amalgamate and come to some agreement where you could have England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales playing almost as in a Lions League and then you fit in a Lions tour at the end of the every four years that can be factored in properly. I mean, there's an awful lot of work that would have to be done to make that happen but that doesn't mean that would be the wrong thing to happen.

There would be a different divvy up of the spend. But that seems like the most comfortable fit for this to fit into the Northern Hemisphere calendar. We know that if it does fit into the Northern Hemisphere, it can fit into the Southern Hemisphere."  

So reservations confirmed. Some folks want it to happen to kill off indigenous Irish rugby. Grand OK

But let's not forget, it was already tried before when the Big European revolution happened. That attempt at killing off Irish rugby didn't last long, did it. So now a new plan. Some folks drooling with anticipation.......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time - Page 4 Empty Re: The Future of the PRO14 - A British League in 2 years time

Post by LordDowlais Fri 26 Jul 2019, 10:57 am

Why is it killing off Irish rugby ?

Why would you even suggest such as thing ?

The Irish will not be victims in all this, never. Lets not forget, without the IRFU helping out, some of the provinces run at a loss, and Connacht would be buggered.

This new league would change all that.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 26 Jul 2019, 10:57 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:If we want to keep up with other professional sports then this is the only way we can go. At the moment, British and Irish rugby is not sustainable at this level, never mind trying to keep up with other sports, and getting to the next level.

They know deep down it is going to happen. They just don't want to risk the good thing they've got going in the Pro14 - which enables them to have success in Europe by resting so many stars in the league. If there was a British and Irish League, they wouldn't be able to do that as much.

Munster CEO:

Despite giving his backing to what he believes is an improving Pro12, he would welcome the inception of a British and Irish league.

“It is something that will be discussed in the future but the current Aviva Premiership clubs have a good deal. It will take a little bit to tempt them into that but given the Irish population that lives in England, it is certainly attractive having Irish teams going in.

“They have to look at what bringing the teams in would bring to the market itself.

“If you want to compete long-term with what’s going on in France TV-wise, that’s probably the ultimate goal.”

Keith Wood:

"For me, there always has been a - I can't say it's a perfect route but a good route is I still believe in having a league system based with Britain and Ireland. The idea of trying to amalgamate and come to some agreement where you could have England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales playing almost as in a Lions League and then you fit in a Lions tour at the end of the every four years that can be factored in properly. I mean, there's an awful lot of work that would have to be done to make that happen but that doesn't mean that would be the wrong thing to happen.

There would be a different divvy up of the spend. But that seems like the most comfortable fit for this to fit into the Northern Hemisphere calendar. We know that if it does fit into the Northern Hemisphere, it can fit into the Southern Hemisphere."  

Of the 18 iterations of the Celtic League, PRO league Irish clubs have won 11 and been runners up 11 times. How many would they have won without resting players ?

No one has said no, mainly because no one has said that there's a deal on the table. When there's a formal proposal the IRFU and I'd hope the other unions would look at what's on the table and if it's a good deal. Without wishing to sound over confident it would be good for the Irish teams, we are a big draw when they play in England, lots of Irish fans travel and Irish match day attendances are up there with the best of the English sides so we'd expect a deal to reflect that.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 10:58 am

Irish Londoner wrote:

Of the 18 iterations of the Celtic League, PRO league Irish clubs have won 11 and been runners up 11 times. How many would they have won without resting players ?

All of them

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:01 am

LordDowlais wrote:Why is it killing off Irish rugby ?

Why would you even suggest such as thing ?

The Irish will not be victims in all this, never. Lets not forget, without the IRFU helping out, some of the provinces run at a loss, and Connacht would be buggered.

This new league would change all that.

Do you remember when the Irish missed out on hosting the world cup? The hilarious collective hissy fit that was thrown? They proclaimed that because England had voted in support, that they were their true rugby friends. Yet now we're told that English rugby is untrustworthy? Change their mind to suit the argument that lot.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:02 am

LordDowlais wrote:
SecretFly wrote:You just don't choose to listen so good, Lord.  That's all.  You've heard all the reasons over the years, but they just go in one ear and out the other.

Hi SF, you really do not need to patronise me, I listen just fine.

All the reasons you posted above are your reasons. I honestly do not see this as turkeys voting for Christmas, honestly, you will have to explain to me, how this is turkeys voting for Christmas.

You cannot stop progress, either you are on the bus, or you are not. This is the future, pro rugby is not sustainable in it's current guise, far to many enterprises are not making money on their own esteem.

None of the reason you posted above really hold any clout. It seems to me, that you are worried about upsetting the good thing you have at the minute. But nothing lasts for ever. OK

Not patronising you... telling you you've heard Irish reasons before - I'm Irish and I've outlined some of those points many times.  You pretend ignorance for dramatic effect.  You've heard Irish concerns explained plenty over the years.

By the way.  The other stuff.... progress, not sustainable...... yep, mere propaganda.  The same old buzz words.

Plus I laugh at the idea that I'm worried about upsetting a good thing.  Isn't that the very thing that animates you most, the frustration that Welsh rugby lacks the good things?  What a bizarre accusation.  I'm guilty as charged for wanting Irish success at International and club level to continue.  Jail me, Lord.  You won't even need to lock the door.  I'll gladly do time for that aspiration Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:07 am

OK, no one seems to be listening, so I am going to shut this down for the weekend. I will open it up again on Monday to see if we can have a reasonable debate.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4