The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 11 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 9 Sep - 17:34

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by RDW Tue 3 Dec - 10:59

I can't see Dunbar making a return to International rugby. And TBH given his injury record he would probably be better off just trying to have a few more years as a pro and work out what he wants to do when he retires, which could be one injury away.

Easier said than done of course!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by RDW Tue 3 Dec - 11:52

Piere Schoeman signs a 'long term' deal. Given he was already on 3 years I'm assuming this will take him to the full 5 required to become SQ.

Good news!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 3 Dec - 12:44

Very good news for Edinburgh and in the longer term, Scotland.

Still does not solve our LH issues for this 6N unfortunately!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 3 Dec - 15:02

Sounds like he's wanting to settle down with a family in Edinburgh which is good.

You know what's going to happen though - he's going to get called up by the Springboks on 4 years and 9 months.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 4 Dec - 8:34

The show goes on! Good news.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 4 Dec - 8:57

Darcy Graham is due to return this week, and WP Nel is due to come back next week.

Got to say I'm not overly enthused by the Edinburgh - Wasps game this weekend. I can't imagine Wasps overly care about it given their Premiership struggles!

Should be a good chance to get some players some gametime and build towards the annual 1872 slaughter of the weegies.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 4 Dec - 9:21

RDW wrote:Darcy Graham is due to return this week, and WP Nel is due to come back next week.

Got to say I'm not overly enthused by the Edinburgh - Wasps game this weekend. I can't imagine Wasps overly care about it given their Premiership struggles!

Should be a good chance to get some players some gametime and build towards the annual 1872 slaughter of the weegies.

That could be the aggregate score over the two legs

Glasgow 18 - 72 Edinburgh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 4 Dec - 10:07

Right, you craft beer swilling, Metrosexual Festival Luvvies warning  You're on a half decent run at the moment and suddenly you're the big dogs in the pen. Laugh Even Cockers knows you're all crust and no filling. The ghost of empty mince pies will haunt Tigertattie for weeks now

Without a doubt the Warriors are misfiring at the moment but normal service will be resumed pretty sharpish.

I think Wasps will turn up...they need to build their confidence and what better way than by putting the uppity Jocks in their place?
Whereas, La Rochelle will show support for the striking workers at the weekend by doing hee-haw. This will give Glasgow two matches to play themselves into form and fitness.

DR is too good a coach to let his last season fizzle out, and that is exactly what will happen if the lose the next four.

I realise as I am typing this that I can't really produce any concrete evidence based on outstanding team, or individual, performances over 80 minutes so far this season Sad  but fecc it, WE ARE WARRIORS. oh yeah  You're getting skelped so ye are. oh yeah

That's it, I've got nothing.

Is that the Season Of Goodwill officially started now? Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 11 3513163098

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 4 Dec - 10:11

4 of the last 5 cups have come our way....just saying!

(yes Glasgow won the previous 5 before that, but that's ancient history)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 4 Dec - 10:13

I'd love to join in the banter but am currently in the queue to buy next seasons AI tickets, only 1361 ahead of me currently.

Despite all the gloom and doom, it seems that watching Scotland play rugby is still pretty popular!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 4 Dec - 13:59

Chris Dean the next to sign an Edinburgh extension.

Someone recently tweeted all the players out of contract this season and its a huge list about 2/3rds of the squad, so I suspect there's going to be a lot of this over the coming months!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 4 Dec - 14:01

Pleased we are keeping Dean. Handy squad player and useful at 12 and 13. Solid in defence and runs good lines. Behind Scott and Taylor at 12, and Bennett and Johnstone at 13, but handy depth. He was dependable last season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 4 Dec - 14:03

Aye he was knocking on the door of a Scotland callup when he got a run of games last season, and even kept his place when Scott returned to fitness (albeit fat Matt).

I hope we hold onto all our centre crop as they're all good and should all get gametime. If only a better backs coach came with it...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 4 Dec - 19:57

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50662716

Nice write up about JBs international career by Tom English

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 5 Dec - 12:05

https://www.606v2.com/t69295-edinburgh-v-wasps#3872308

Spent a lot of time on this thread again

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 5 Dec - 14:17

RDW wrote:Aye he was knocking on the door of a Scotland callup when he got a run of games last season, and even kept his place when Scott returned to fitness (albeit fat Matt).

I hope we hold onto all our centre crop as they're all good and should all get gametime. If only a better backs coach came with it...
Looks like I'm getting my wish - JJ is the latest to re-sign!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 5 Dec - 15:32

Pleased to keep JJ as well. Another being talked about last season for international honours and whilst I'd put him in the same class as Nick Grigg and Chris Harris (good club players but not internationals), he is an awkward player to defend against; quick feet and great acceleration.

Seems like they will keep drip feeding us these stories. Hopefully 7 year deals for Rambo, Ritchie, Bradbury, Duhan, Graham and Kinghorn will be next...oh, and the signing of George Horne....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Thu 5 Dec - 18:44

funnyExiledScot wrote:Pleased to keep JJ as well. Another being talked about last season for international honours and whilst I'd put him in the same class as Nick Grigg and Chris Harris (good club players but not internationals), he is an awkward player to defend against; quick feet and great acceleration.

Seems like they will keep drip feeding us these stories. Hopefully 7 year deals for Rambo, Ritchie, Bradbury, Duhan, Graham and Kinghorn will be next...oh, and the signing of George Horne. Nick Frisby...

Please!!!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 6 Dec - 8:33

Interesting comments right at the bottom of the article pertaining to Huw Jones https://www.planetrugby.com/israel-folaus-camp-contacted-us-bulls-ceo/

For those not clicking on the link:

"Meyer also revealed that the Bulls tried to lure Glasgow Warriors, Scotland and former Stormers centre Huw Jones to Pretoria for their 2020 Super Rugby campaign.

“We are still looking for a centre, who has played at Test level and we wanted to negotiate with Huw but he would prefer to go to the Cape,” he said."

So the rumors of Huw Jones chatting about playing in South Africa again are not unfounded, albeit it looks like Jones was approached rather than reaching out to the Bulls. The bit about him wanting to go to the cape though is particularly interesting. Does that mean he said "even if i came back to SA, it would only be the Cape" or did he say "sorry, Im in discussions with the Stormers, don't want to play for the bulls"?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 6 Dec - 8:50

Hmm interesting indeed. He had a hugely successful time at Stormers and more importantly for a rugby player, game time. I don't think Jones dislikes being at Glasgow but I 100% think the lack of game time is having a bad effect on him.

To be fair, he should follow his heart, he's only got another 5-6 years of rugby left to play and he should be at a club where he can express himself and enjoy his rugby. Scotland can call him up for the 6N from SA like before I'd hope although 2020 6N may be difficult if he were to leave sooner rather than later. Real shame if this happens though as we all hoped he'd form a deadly centre combo with Johnson.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 6 Dec - 9:02

Jack Cosgrove retires I see, shame for him at only 25.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 6 Dec - 11:48

Nakarawa has been sacked!

What a weird situation.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 6 Dec - 12:16

There's only one place for Naka now. He misses the banter at Scotstoun and the square slice which is impossible to find in gay Paree.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 6 Dec - 13:19

Ok. The stars are lining up.

Glasgow resign Naka

To free up budget, the SRU move George Horne to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh get compensation in an out of court settlement from Sale Sharks for breeching the trade discription act for selling Edinburgh Nathan Foul as a "Rugby" player
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 6 Dec - 15:44

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50690575

Well it was at least worthy of a headline on BBC Scotland!

Would he come back?

Depends what he wants I guess, he won't sign for pennies at Scotstoun but could undoubtedly earn a lot more elsewhere. He may not be totally money driven though and has certainly banked a decent wedge over the past three years in France and he did seem to be happy in Glasgow which I am not sure he was to the same extent in Paris.

We can but dream I guess!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 6 Dec - 16:52

How could anyone be happier in Paris than in Glasgow?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 6 Dec - 18:46

Worthy of a headline indeed

Shame it wasn’t on the rugby section laughing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 6 Dec - 22:54

https://www.theoffsideline.com/glasgow-warriors-leone-nakarawa/

Glasgow actually sound pretty serious about trying to get him back!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dollar Bill Sat 7 Dec - 7:44

Huw Jones will be one of the highest earners at Scotstoun and if rumours are true wants to head back to South Africa.

Trading HJ for Nakawara would be a no brainer

Dollar Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 7 Dec - 12:47

jimbopip wrote:How could anyone be happier in Paris than in Glasgow?

Good point. Well made. Just on food alone....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 7 Dec - 13:05

Nakarawa to the Waratahs seems to be the most credible source just now...

Closer to family,if that's what the issue is

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 7 Dec - 15:17

Good start Glasgow, win a kickable penalty

Hastings kicks it well

3-0 Glasgow

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 7 Dec - 15:20

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 7 Dec - 15:21

Loose play from Glasgow and they run it back and score, to many missed tacjkles

Good score from the Prop Priso

7-3 La Rochelle

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 7 Dec - 15:24

Still the wrong thread! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 8 Dec - 11:06

A rare interview with Richie Gray down in Toulouse by Mark Palmer in the Sunday Times.

Could he really come back to Glasgow next season?

You would have to say we could not surely afford him and Nakarawa, unless JG is going to go the other way.

Maybe family ties will draw him back though? It would be good to think he could finnish off where it started for him and to play with his brother for a year or two.

Vern Cotter has moved “upstairs” to a director of rugby role at Montpellier, but at some stage this afternoon he will bump into Richie Gray — the Toulouse one — at the Stade Ernest-Wallon. It’s too early to say if reunions are going to become a theme for the 65-cap lock, but we understand that Glasgow are one of the sides to have, at the very least, expressed an interest in signing him when his Rouge et Noir contract ends next summer.
Warriors will face considerable competition for Gray, not least from the club who currently own him, and the man himself is giving little away about his intentions. What we do know is that any decision now involves at least three people: Gray and his wife Ellie, another Scot, and their first child, Ostin, who was born earlier this year. Never mind Cheslin Kolbe: that’s a real game-changer.
“I’m keeping all my options open at the moment and we’ll see what happens,” says Gray. “I’m just enjoying being back playing and what will be will be. It’s all up in the air. Don’t get me wrong, you do get homesick, but then you come back for a week and it’s pretty cold. You say to yourself, ‘Things aren’t too bad in France.’ But it’s all up in the air, with family and stuff. Who knows what the future holds?”
Gray, of course, first left Glasgow in 2012, initially to join Sale where he spent a single season before moving to Castres. Three years later, he joined Toulouse and though there have been multiple injury frustrations, as recently as the start of this season when he tweaked a knee after getting his leg stuck at the bottom of a mauling drill, emphatic redemption arrived back in June when he was part of the team that delivered an historic 20th league title. The success was Toulouse’s first in seven years, and if backing it up remains important, nobody needs reminding that the dry spell in Europe extends to 2010.
With this year being the 25th season of Heineken Cup action, there is every incentive for the inaugural champions to strive for what would be a fifth triumph. Four puts them level with Leinster and one clear of Toulon and Saracens, with those three the only teams to have their names on the trophy since Toulouse last claimed it.

“We’ve spoken about that: we’re not shying away from the fact it’s the 25th year and we were the first to win it,” says Gray. “There’s a real focus on it this year. Last year we were in the one that people called the pool of death [Toulouse saw off Bath and Wasps to claim a best runner-up spot behind Leinster before beating Racing 92 away from home in the quarter-finals then falling to Leo Cullen’s team in Dublin] and we didn’t know how we were going to rank after being in the Challenge [Cup] the year before. But now there’s a real focus, a real appetite to see how far we can get.
“Given our run last year, getting to the semis, and the squad depth we’ve got now, we can certainly fight on both fronts. We’ve got the confidence in ourselves that we genuinely think we can go all the way but you can’t get ahead of yourself. I’m sure Montpellier think they can go all the way as well. At this stage, it all comes down to this weekend.”

Having been equally at home in the less frantic city and rugby surrounds of Castres, Gray has thrived on the pace and energy of Toulouse. Ugo Mola’s team play with a rare tempo and ambition, the game-breaking skills of Kolbe, Antoine Dupont, Sebastien Bezy, Sofiane Guitoune and co. aligning with the rich promise of Romain Ntamack, the experience of Yoann Huget and Maxime Medard and a pack where the likes of Gray, Jerome Kaino, Rory Arnold and Joe Tekori find themselves being both appreciated and stretched.
“You’ve got the world’s best player, Cheslin Kolbe, coming back [from World Cup glory to the Toulouse bench] this weekend, then you’ve got a lot of guys from that France team who can unlock defences,” says Gray. “As a forward pack it makes a huge difference, because you know that if you do your job and the ball goes out wide, these guys are going to cause damage.
“[Even] training is pretty quick, with a lot of unstructured play. It’s really just about going out, throwing the ball around and trying to score tries and, yeah, it’s pretty fun. It’s opened my eyes, certainly. I’ve never trained like that and it makes you see things a lot more on the pitch; you’re looking for opportunities. But a huge part of my game is doing the basics well so these guys out wide can do their thing. I’m more than happy to do my thing, and leave the 80-yard breaks to Cheslin Kolbe.”
Gray turned 30 the same August week when Gregor Townsend said he knocked back a second chance to join the Scotland World Cup training squad. As far as milestones from this year go, however, the advent of fatherhood will not be beaten. The issue — and this could count in Glasgow’s favour — is the lack of a support network in southwest France.
“I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have its challenges. We’ve had a lot of family come over for a week, couple of weeks, to help out and they’ll be back over at Christmas. Uncle Jonny was over after the Pro14 final, but the wee man has changed a huge amount since then. Ellie does most of the tough work: I just come home and put on a smile. It’s great seeing the wee man with a smile on his face as well.”
Irrespective of today’s result, there will be warm words between Gray, who starts on the bench, and his former Scotland coach Cotter. You can’t imagine the Glasgow support will be too put out, either, should the big fella make that big return. Life has come at him fast these last few years, but he’s still standing tall.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 8 Dec - 18:59

Afraid Gee yer delusional if you think Glasgow can get Gray Snr and big naka back. One of the two is a possibility. Neither of the two is most likely.

Naka seemed to enjoy his time in Glasgow but the money is on him going to super rugby to be nearer his family.

Gray enjoyed his time in Glasgow but I think his family is more
Settled in France at the moment

The age old adage is once you escape Glasgow, why would you ever go back. Only niko has been the exception to this rule.

Tel you what though. If Glasgow do get gray and naka, it would be the pair signings of the decade and could turn around one of the pro 14’s weakest packs.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 8 Dec - 19:22

I don't think we will get both back, i am not even sure we should try for that, the only way it would be possible would be to lose JG and that would not be a good trade.

One of them might work though and the smarter money might be on RG, there are some subtle hints in that interview

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 8 Dec - 23:19

We have Cummings, Davidson and McDonald coming through at lock. If RG comes back and JG stays that would be the five locks. Sykes becomes the back-up youngster.

Swinson would probably leave or become a ref in that scenario. RG would be on decent money but with his injuries, unlikely to get the same packet he gets in Southern France. Considering Swinson was an international two years ago there won't be as much in it as expected and the sponsors would love to have RG in the fold. Harley may be at risk as well.

Nakarawa could transition to being a number 8. Gibbins has fallen backwards and could be on his way out. Another high earner in Huw Jones could be gone. I think it would be doable, however I would rather look for a proper BS. Ashe is not rated, Harley does not carry when played at six and Wilson is a squad player for where we want to be. Is Tom Gordon the answer?

Someone mentioned the injuries at prop for Glasgow in the other thread. Reid is back for Glasgow and if Kebble and Allan are out for a couple of weeks, he could be the starter with Sieulli as replacement or vice-versa. Don't know what happened to Capps.

Tighthead is more unfortunate but we need to see what we have in Nicol. La Rochelle at home in a game they don't care about where hopefully Glasgow are 15-20 points up in the last 20 should be fine. Dealing with Schoeman for an hour if Z Fagerson gets injured is a baptism of fire. Z Fagerson has come out of the RWC firing btw and really got to hope he can push on as a scrummager internationally.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Dec - 9:07

I think there's as much chance Nakarawa returning as Pyrgos giving quick ball - it's just not going to happen.

R Gray there is more chance, but he's only 30 so may want to get another big deal for a couple of years then come back to Glasgow for a retirement year or two aged 32/33.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 9 Dec - 9:30

You forget that Big Ritchie isnt in the over 35s team. He's jsut been around for so long!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dollar Bill Mon 9 Dec - 12:36

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1204014406834774016

Dollar Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Dec - 12:41

Dollar Bill wrote:https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1204014406834774016
There's a NSFW South Park meme of Stan's dad very much applicable to Glasgow fan's reaction to this

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 9 Dec - 13:16

Midi Olympic saying that Nathan Brombys meet Nakarawa in France over the weekend and he has verbally agreed a contract to return to the Warriors!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 9 Dec - 13:59

On the surface it would certainly be some good news for Glasgow, but is trying to turn back the clock really your route to success? In recent years you've brought back DTH and Niko, both superstars of the weege title winning side and neither have been able to come close to that level again. Would you not be better trying to find the next Leone rather than taking a backwards step and hoping it works out the way it did before?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 9 Dec - 14:07

To be fair Llama, Nakarawa is right in his prime for a lock and playing at the top of his game. DTH and Niko's best days were behind them when they re-signed!

The big caveat here is whether he still has the desire for rugby or his mind is still on it and not full of distractions - the fact he hasn't returned to one of the biggest clubs in Europe puts that in doubt

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon 9 Dec - 14:31

He is, but how long can he sustain that level for before he hits the same trajectory as the other 2? It's not exactly building for the future, that's my point, although if he does join at can hit the ground running he may be just what Glasgow need right now

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 9 Dec - 14:33

RDW wrote:I think there's as much chance Nakarawa returning as Pyrgos giving quick ball - it's just not going to happen.

R Gray there is more chance, but he's only 30 so may want to get another big deal for a couple of years then come back to Glasgow for a retirement year or two aged 32/33.

The chance of Pyrgos giving quick ball has exponentially increased!

Got to think that is Gibbins and/or Huw Jones leaving. Until Nakarawa has put his name on the dotted line though....

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 9 Dec - 14:35

While DTH might just be fsding a bit now, he has been no slouch for us over the osst couple of seasons.

Niko as well, he won the game for us on saturday.

I would both have been succesful returnees and hooefulky Naka could be the same.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next