The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher

+15
beninho
Roller_Coaster
EmmDee57
GPB
kwinigolfer
McLaren
Shotrock
ralphjohn69
JAS
navyblueshorts
robopz
pedro
Be_the_ball
super_realist
I'm never wrong
19 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 8 Empty PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Sep 12 2019, 15:19

First topic message reminder :

Random thoughts and notes:
1).The 2019/2020 PGA Tour season is on the move in "Almost heaven, West Virginia" but not before Rory wins the Player Of The Year trophy, somehow beating Brooks Koepka. I'd love to know the voting but that's a closely guarded secret (until someone leaks it).

So we can only imagine what this really means:
*The media narrative so far is that it rewards consistency thru'out the season (and lack lustre Majors) over extraordinary excellence in the four most important events of the year - the four, coincidentally or not - which are not run by the PGA Tour.
Rory himself said: "I wanted to try and bring my best every single week I played", so perhaps he endorses the consistency thought (when it suits him).

*Or does it mean that the Tour Membership now value the (very) limited field Tour Championship, plus $15M and the FedEx trophy, and The Players over say, the PGA Championship, top five finishes at Augusta, Pebble and Portrush, and a WGC? Is that now the Members' opinion?? Don't expect Tiger Woods, for instance, would agree, and deep down I can hardly believe that Rory does.

Bizarre.

2).No surprises here, but I see the ghost of Tim Finchem all over such shenanigans. I didn't like the compressed season when it was announced and like it even less now that such artificial contrivances are regarded as the new norm, rather like those who feel the history of the world began on January 1st 2017.

3).The 19/20 season opens its batting with "A Military Tribute At The Greenbrier" which, believe it or not, offers its winner the longest exemption of a "regular season" event (given that Bay Hill and Memorial seem to have been elevated). The winner effectively receives a three year exemption unlike its near-ish Green neighbour, The Wyndham, in Greensboro. And there are a few new tournaments filling up the autumnal calendar which now looks like this:

4).In order:
Greenbrier - is this event still on life support or is the odious Jim Justice re-upping? Not sure, but John Daly is "playing" this week, a sure sign of an event in decline.
Sanderson Farms in Mississippi- now a "full-field" event with 500 x FedEx Points and a Masters invitation to the winner.
Safeway in Napa
Vegas baby
Houston - wonder if Ian James will defend his title?
CJ Cup in Korea
The Zozo(!) Championship - in Japan, apparently T.Woods's focus for the autumn.
WGC-HSBC Champions (and opposite field event in Bermuda for the Plunky Cup)
Week off
Mayakoba - No word yet on Kuchar's caddie arrangement
RSM in lovely Sea Island, Georgia
The end. Until the TOC @ Kapalua in early January.

5).Meanwhile, the Korn Ferry circuit's Q-School saga has begun, with pre-qualifying being completed this week, and Stage 1 to follow shortly. No "notables" spotted in the pre-qualies, but there usually are some surprise appearances in Stage 1 and the first fields should be published next week.

6).The new season seems to have caught the Tour on the hop with pgatour.com deferring publication of its "Player Exemptions" until after the AMTATG. Apart from Kaymer's curious membership extension I have yet to see lists of players taking, for instance, career earnings exemptions.

7).But there is a long list of Medical Extensions including some well known pros such as:
Berger (5 events remaining)
Chappell (23)
Cink (8)
DeLaet (24)
Donald (3) - Would think he'd surely take a career earnings free pass. Or retire.
Harrington(11)
Kirk (11)
Lovemark (23)
O'Hair (16)
Schwartzel (12)
Stadler (23)
Villegas (13)
And about two dozen other past champions and Tour journeymen.
(and super_realist pooh poos the mere notion that golf is such a physical sport . . . . . . )

8).Talking about past champions and Tour journeymen, these old lags are among those returning to the Tour courtesy of the Korn Ferry channel:
Brendan Todd
Grayson Murray
Beau Hossler
Lahiri
David Hearn
Streb
Trahan

9).And welcome to Europeans Tom Lewis (he's playing this week and could use some good early results), Viktor Hovland, Ben Taylor, Sebastian Cappelen, HenriK Norlander and Ace Ventura.

10).Back to The Greenbrier with a field so disappointing that 30,000 free tickets are being distributed to pad the attendance. Prof DeChambeau is here, plus Bubba and Marc Leishman, plus defending champ Kevin Na.
The Europeans are led by Russell Knox, Tom Lewis, Hovland, Laird, Lingmerth, Cejka, Power, Freddie Jac, Ventura, Straka, Norlander, Cappelen and Taylor.
(Not sure you'd bet on more than half of them being in the field for the first tournament of 2020/2021.)

Almost finally, in an "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" move the PGA Tour is adjusting its cut-line to Top 65 and ties and abandoning the 54-hole cut (when more than 78 pros are T70 and ties). So no more MDF's.  

And lastly, really, 2-time Major winner (back in the days when golf thought Majors were the most important events) Angel Cabrera, the 2014 AMTATG Champ, has turned 50 and makes his Champions Tour debut. Happy 50th to Angel and Rob Karlsson.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed Oct 02 2019, 12:21; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 26 2019, 07:56

GPB wrote:Muirfield has hosted a Ryder Cup in the last 30 years?  News to me.

Yes, I think venues are a part of the equation.  The Prez Cup at Royal Melbourne hold more interest to me than it would if it were held at the Perth Sheep Track.

Look at the last few Ryder Cup venues.  Classic Courses!  So classic that those courses have fallen (or nearly disappeared) from the EuroTour schedule.  But Celtic Manor can always claim that they hosted a Ryder Cup.  WOO HOO

BTW...no one gave a rats Bum about the Ryder Cup for the first 60 years of its existence.  It certainly was not one of the top 10 events of the year until the mid 80's

Ryder Cups are all the better for not being played at traditional courses. In case it escaped your notice, it's a matchplay competition, and places like Paris National were great because it gave the home team far more options to set up the course as they would like it to be.
Can you imagine how little they'd be able to change TOC or Dornoch for instance?

You're making absolutely ridiculous points to try and justify the Presidents Cup and your claims of it being at Melbourne are just laughable.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 8 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Fri Nov 29 2019, 03:28

Yes, a Great and universally well respected golf course would be bad for the Ryder Cup rather than selling out to the highest bidder.  

Yeah, Sure, Gotcha:

.talk about stupid arguments.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 29 2019, 08:01

GPB wrote:Yes, a Great and universally well respected golf course would be bad for the Ryder Cup rather than selling out to the highest bidder.  

Yeah, Sure, Gotcha:

.talk about stupid arguments.

Yes, in many cases it would. There is very little you could do to the Old Course, RCD for example, or Dornoch ( courses that rank around about the same as Melbourne) which could make it interesting for matchplay.

You don't have to be so contrary. Why don't you tell me why such courses would be good in the Ryder Cup?
I'll tell you why they aren't.
1. You can hit 18 greens in regulation on TOC without even trying.
2. There is no punishment off the tee whatsoever.
3. Bad shots are not punished.
4. The course does not require any strategy at all.
5. There is no risk and reward.

That's why courses like that are not picked, because they are a rubbish spectacle for matchplay. It's not even a good spectacle in the Open as it's easily the worse venue and almost never creates drama.

I'd much rather have it at a dynamic course like Gleneagles or Paris National where you get good viewing, and the course can be modified to mitigate the strengths of the other team. I want knockout punches, I don't want to see boring golf, and boring golf is exactly what you get at many traditional old golf courses that haven't kept up with the times.

Modern courses don't have the obsolescence of places like St.Andrews.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri Nov 29 2019, 14:25

kwinigolfer wrote:Careful, GPB, exactly how many Presidents Cup venues are regular stops on the PGA Tour?

Perhaps one difference is that the European PGA Jack Nicklaus recognised the RC WAS uncompetitive and took the initiative to recommend changes. No sign of that happening with the PC, largely because the PC is run by the PGA Tour and it's not about the competition, it's about the win MONEY baby.

#fixedit

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Nov 29 2019, 20:43

Since when is Super Realist a fan of the TOC?

I don't know anything about Dornoch, but after watching the Irish Open at RCD, that course looks absolutely miserable to play. Many Blind Shots with High Rough.

BTW, it is Le Golf Nationale, not Paris Nationale and I absolutely disagree that course should be tricked up to help the home team.

I don't see soccer fields being tricked up before the World Cup.

I don't see Wimbledon raising the net heights for their Championship in the Summer.

I don't the baskets being raised to 12 ft for Olympic basketball.

IMO, The golf course should be representative of how the course plays the other 51 weeks of the year (I have said this about US Open setup too).

Europe RC courses are chosen because of MONEY, not because their course suits Europes style of play.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 29 2019, 21:03

GPB wrote:Since when is Super Realist a fan of the TOC?

I don't know anything about Dornoch, but after watching the Irish Open at RCD, that course looks absolutely miserable to play.  Many Blind Shots with High Rough.  

BTW, it is Le Golf Nationale, not Paris Nationale and I absolutely disagree that course should be tricked up to help the home team.

I don't see soccer fields being tricked up before the World Cup.

I don't see Wimbledon raising the net heights for their Championship in the Summer.

I don't the baskets being raised to 12 ft for Olympic basketball.

IMO, The golf course should be representative of how the course plays the other 51 weeks of the year  (I have said this about US Open setup too).  

Europe RC courses are chosen because of MONEY, not because their course suits Europes style of play.

Who said I was a fan of it? I like it, I've played it over 30 times this year, but it's not good enough for a Ryder Cup for the reasons detailed.
Why would you compare football pitches to a golf course? A football pitch, tennis net, basketball hoop, dartboard etc has to fit within certain or precise parameters according to a rule book, a golf course does not. What a truly ludicrous analogy you are making. Why shouldn't the home team be able to set up a golf course as they wish? You're only bitter because the American team have never shown enough brains to set up a course to suit their style of play.

There may be an element of "money" but there are places better than Gleneagles and The Belfry, K Club etc if it was about making as much money as possible.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Nov 29 2019, 22:02

Super, it's all about these places PAYING money, not taking it.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Nov 29 2019, 22:09

GPB you are not comparing apples with apples. The football World Cup and Wimbledon involve a number of competitors, so the conditions for all of them must be as equal as possible. I suspect basketball courts have fixed dimensions etc. But with football matches when it's one team v another,the home team has adjusted the pitch to suit them rather than the opposition. Either adjusting the size of the pitch within limits, or changing the amount of watering. Doesn't happen that often but it has.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 29 2019, 22:11

I'm never wrong wrote:GPB you are not comparing apples with apples. The football World Cup and Wimbledon involve a number of competitors, so the conditions for all of them must be as equal as possible. I suspect basketball courts have fixed dimensions etc.  But with football matches when it's one team v another,the home team has adjusted the pitch to suit them rather than the opposition. Either adjusting the size of the pitch within limits, or changing the amount of watering. Doesn't happen that often but it has.

It's worth nothing that tennis players don't have a home court. It doesn't belong to any player to modify it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 30 2019, 00:11

INW...I am just saying that common playing fields in other sports are generally not temporarily* altered to give players a home field advantage or to make the contest harder.

World Series teams do not move the fences back just because the opponent might have power hitters.

BTW #1... TOC has hosted the Walker Cup

BTW #2 ....Davis Cup matches are played Home and Away and that is pretty much the equivalent of the Ryder Cup.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 30 2019, 01:03

So: You're saying that Spain won just because it was played in Spain?
Canada reached the Final - not sure how Team USA fared.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 30 2019, 01:24

kwinigolfer wrote:So: You're saying that Spain won just because it was played in Spain?

Huh?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 30 2019, 01:37

GPB wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:So: You're saying that Spain won just because it was played in Spain?

Huh?

I didn't get your comment regarding the Davis Cup so just thought I'd remark on last week's action. All the Finals in Madrid, in one week.
Have seen both Shapovalov and FA-A these past couple of years, not surprised they beat the US, but reaching the Final was quite impressive..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Nov 30 2019, 03:10

I guess I was supposed to know the relevance. But I didn't.

Just a fringe fan of tennis, only follow the Grand Slams.

I suspect there are lot of fringe fans of golf. Only follow the majors, and probably nothing else.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 30 2019, 05:23

You brought up Davis Cup, GPB. No-one else did.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 30 2019, 09:23

GPB wrote:INW...I am just saying that common playing fields in other sports are generally not temporarily* altered to give players a home field advantage or to make the contest harder.  

World Series teams do not move the fences back just because the opponent might have power hitters.

BTW #1... TOC has hosted the Walker Cup

BTW #2 ....Davis Cup matches are played Home and Away and that is pretty much the equivalent of the Ryder Cup.

Are you actually stupid? A tennis court dimensions CANNOT be changed. Furthermore Davis Cup matches are no longer played home and away, there is a new format. However in previous years the home team can select any surface they like, Clay, Grass, Carpet, Hard etc to favour their players. Spain obviously favour clay, Britain have played on grass at Wimbledon. So there is absolutely a prescedent in sport for tinkering. Football clubs in the UK can alter their pitch dimensions within criteria to negate teams who like to play wide for instance, you can grow the grass longer to mitigate teams who pass quickly, or you can water the grass to counteract those who do not.
Certain countries have stadiums where you can close the roof, eg Wales. This is often used as a tactic.

Like it or not, it happens, and there's no reason this shouldn't happen in the Ryder Cup, perhaps America should try it, they might actually win.

Who gives a toss about the Walker Cup?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Nov 30 2019, 10:18

I used to follow the Davis Cup quite a bit back in the days. And the selection of surface to suit the home team was as sure as amen in the church.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 30 2019, 10:49

pedro wrote:I used to follow the Davis Cup quite a bit back in the days. And the selection of surface to suit the home team was as sure as amen in the church.

Exactly. GPB is just showing a massive ignorance in regards to other sport, whilst using analogies from Basketball, tennis etc are just plain barmy. Everyone knows those court sizes are predetermined.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 30 2019, 11:52

The European RC venues are quite poor architecturally.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat Nov 30 2019, 11:58

I don't have a bit of a problem with the home course advantage in Ryder Cups.  My only regret is the Europeans are a lot better at manipulating their home course advantage than the Americans are.

And it starts with course selection.  I mean USA selecting Whistling Straights? There's gotta be 50 courses out there that give the American bombers more an advantage than Straits. But by choosing it, we've already given back half or more of our home course advantage...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 30 2019, 12:34

Whatever the merits or otherwise of the Presidents Cup, I'm sure Ernie took the Captaincy gig expecting to build his team round a solid South African base, guys like Grace & Schwartzel. But no!
But good to see them chasing Pablito at Leopards Creek, hope they get back to top form and fitness.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat Nov 30 2019, 13:24

kwinigolfer wrote:Whatever the merits or otherwise of the Presidents Cup, I'm sure Ernie took the Captaincy gig expecting to build his team round a solid South African base, guys like Grace & Schwartzel. But no!
But good to see them chasing Pablito at Leopards Creek, hope they get back to top form and fitness.
Hard to believe there's been only 3 wins by South African's on the PGA Tour since 2014.  1 each by Grace, Schwartzel and Fritelli. And Fritelli is the only one in the last 3 years.

Here are some PGA Tour winner's demographics for the last decade...

PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 8 2010-210

PGA Tour: Here we go again, The 2019/20 Season is Underway, Vegas Baby: Notes from the Ballwasher  - Page 8 Fc4ccf10

Last edited by robopz on Sat Nov 30 2019, 15:02; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 30 2019, 13:30

Good stuff robo, I did a few notes maybe four or five years ago on the exact same (Saffer) subject, all the way back to David Frost and early Els, but of course one of their number who could once be depended upon for a win has now defected: Roary!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 30 2019, 17:50

McLaren wrote:The European RC venues are quite poor architecturally.  

Bore on Mac. You keep going on about "architecture" but the courses ranked highest for architecture routinely provide some of the worst events. When was the last decent TOC Open?

What would you know about their architecture anyway? How many of them have you played? I bet none.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat Nov 30 2019, 19:37

super_realist wrote:Bore on Mac. You keep going on about "architecture" but the courses ranked highest for architecture routinely provide some of the worst events. When was the last decent TOC Open?
You mean that 2015 OPEN with the three-way playoff and another two players just a shot out of the playoffs? Well that was just awful wasn't it?  

You crack me up sometime super...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 30 2019, 21:09

Super

Only recent RC venue I have played is the gleneagles one. It was really boring. I just kept wishing I was on one of the resorts other courses.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Nov 30 2019, 22:24

DJ withdraws from the Hero money-for-nothing money grab.
He'll be match fit for the PC then.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Dec 01 2019, 00:19

I do find it amusing that some media are “commemorating” the 10 year anniversary of the fire hydrant incident. Even if it’s just a way to shoehorn in something about Tiger Woods.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Dec 01 2019, 08:44

robopz wrote:
super_realist wrote:Bore on Mac. You keep going on about "architecture" but the courses ranked highest for architecture routinely provide some of the worst events. When was the last decent TOC Open?
You mean that 2015 OPEN with the three-way playoff and another two players just a shot out of the playoffs? Well that was just awful wasn't it?  

You crack me up sometime super...

Yes, that was boring. TOC holds more Opens than any other in the history of the game and the vast majority of them have been completely forgettable.
The course simply doesn't produce drama. You aren't going to drop from leader to 6th in one hole like could happen at Carnoustie for example.
Having a playoff doesn't mean it's a good event, it simply means that a few people ended up on the same score.

We get play offs at absolutely tons of courses, doesn't mean that the 4 days that preceded the play off were remotely interesting does it?
TOC doesn't test a golfer unless there is inclement weather. It's probably the easiest course on the entire rota of all majors. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a play off because it's so bloody easy.

Can you name any incredible shots from that year? No. Everything is so straightforward, no danger, no punishment for a bad shot, it's just greens in regulations and a boring putting competition.

You are the one who cracks me up. You seriously think a play off makes a tournament good? Why do you bother watching any of it? Just tune in Sunday at 4pm in 2021, you won't have missed anything.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Dec 01 2019, 08:45

McLaren wrote:Super

Only recent RC venue I have played is the gleneagles one. It was really boring. I just kept wishing I was on one of the resorts other courses.

Why did you bother going? You must have looked it up in your Doak handbook?

That doesn't explain how you know that the rest of the European venues have "bad architecture", because you couldn't possibly know.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Dec 02 2019, 19:49

super_realist wrote:Yes, that was boring. TOC holds more Opens than any other in the history of the game and the vast majority of them have been completely forgettable.
The course simply doesn't produce drama. You aren't going to drop from leader to 6th in one hole like could happen at Carnoustie for example.
Having a playoff doesn't mean it's a good event, it simply means that a few people ended up on the same score.

We get play offs at absolutely tons of courses, doesn't mean that the 4 days that preceded the play off were remotely interesting does it?
TOC doesn't test a golfer unless there is inclement weather. It's probably the easiest course on the entire rota of all majors. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a play off because it's so bloody easy.

Can you name any incredible shots from that year? No. Everything is so straightforward, no danger, no punishment for a bad shot, it's just greens in regulations and a boring putting competition.

You are the one who cracks me up. You seriously think a play off makes a tournament good? Why do you bother watching any of it? Just tune in Sunday at 4pm in 2021, you won't have missed anything.
 A 3-man playoffs with another three or four in contention till the end is boring?  Well excuse me if I don't understand that.

If you are saying it has to be a "test" to be reasonably interesting, then you can forget most all of the current Open rota, because hardley any of them are a test anymore without inclement weather. Even Car'nasty' ain't so nasty anymore. Technology has passed them by and without blowing a gale, anything short of tricking them up like USGA does in their wrong headed attempt to continue to play their old classics ain't going to make them a test.  (Oakmont somewhat excepted)

Bottom line:  The only thing interesting about most major championship golf anymore is hopefully some of them can be competitive down to the very end or some of YOUR favorites contend... just like ToC was in 2015 for me. But the test is rarely the course (unless they trick it up to the max). The test is the competition and the pressure associated with trying to win a major. That can be even par or 20 under... no matter

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Dec 02 2019, 23:23

super_realist wrote:

That doesn't explain how you know that the rest of the European venues have "bad architecture", because you couldn't possibly know.

My mate won a 4 ball there in a raffle or auction or something like that. I knew it wasn't going to be great because I had walked the course while watching an ET event there some years earlier and having seen it when the RC was there.

What do you mean when you say "you couldn't possibly know"? Are you saying that you are required to have played a course to pass any judgement on its architecture?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 03 2019, 07:50

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

My mate won a 4 ball there in a raffle or auction or something like that.  I knew it wasn't going to be great because I had walked the course while watching an ET event there some years earlier and having seen it when the RC was there.  

What do you mean when you say "you couldn't possibly know"?  Are you saying that you are required to have played a course to pass any judgement on its architecture?

It's virtually impossible to get a good grasp of the nuances of golf course architecture from a tv picture. You simply cannot judge the slopes and subtleties etc. You appear to simply have a bee in your bonnet about particular types of courses as if you are some sort of purist who will only give credit to an ancient links. For example, you wrote off The Castle from pictures in a magazine.

I've asked you many times to state what you think is so important about architecture and why you only approve of certain types, or what it is you find so amazing about courses like TOC that you gush over the architecture of, and you have never managed to do it. Why is that? Is it because you actually know nothing about architecture and are simply parroting the opinions of your crush Doak?

I've been through TOC hole by hole, and you didn't even try to respond to why it has so many boring, dreary, unimaginative holes.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Dec 03 2019, 10:30

Super

At this point is it worth anyone's time posting arguments against whatever position you hold? You never accept anything pointed out to you and just fight to the bitter end.

But for the record I have posted the reasons for TOC's architectural significance many times.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 03 2019, 11:07

At this point is it worth anyone's time posting arguments against whatever position you hold? You never accept anything pointed out to you and just fight to the bitter end.

But for the record I have posted the reasons for TOC's architectural significance many times.

Why don't you humour me then Mac.
Holes 1, 3, 5, 6, 8 9 10, 14,15, 16, 17 and 18 are nothing remotely special. 17 is only interesting because of where they placed the hotel, nothing to do with the original design.
It's a course which doesn't punish bad shots, and has no tariff of risk and reward, isn't that bad design? It also has lots of forced carries, which you claim to hate.

It is much better as a course the way it was originally designed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Dec 04 2019, 18:45

We're into Round 2 of Champions Tour Q-School's Final Stage and some prominent European Tour players of recent years are competing with PGA Tour occasional winners and journeymen of decades past for the five tickets available for golf's annuity programme. Including:

Thongchai Jaidee
Stephen Leaney
Jarmo Sandelin
Rob Karlsson
Thomas Levet
Michael Campbell
Mathias Groanberg
plus other Internationals such as Grant Waite, Carlos Franco & Jose Coceres.
EDIT: Didn't spot Ricky Gonzales - in the house with a 64 which rockets him towards first place. But just as likely to score 84 tomorrow.

Earning Champions Tour membership and keeping it are two very tough objectives for golfers who seldom played on the PGA Tour.
It'll be interesting to see how many secure their card . . . . . and get to keep it!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Dec 04 2019, 22:08

Thanks Kwin. Do you know many spots are they playing for?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Dec 04 2019, 23:00

Just five spots available.
And this is the year that something like 11 heavyweights are turning 5-0.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Dec 05 2019, 15:04

Thanks for that Kwin. The Champion's tour is certainly unique in professional sports. I mean, what other sport has aging stars play against each other for significant reward? Hats off to those that make the tour and hats off to the organizers that both recognize the market potential and keep the machine humming. But my biggest hats off has to go to one Bernhard Langer. Both his desire to keep competing and his physical stamina and conditioning are truly extraordinary.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Dec 05 2019, 16:31

Shotrock wrote:Thanks for that Kwin. The Champion's tour is certainly unique in professional sports. I mean, what other sport has aging stars play against each other for significant reward? Hats off to those that make the tour and hats off to the organizers that both recognize the market potential and keep the machine humming. But my biggest hats off has to go to one Bernhard Langer. Both his desire to keep competing and his physical stamina and conditioning are truly extraordinary.

Agree with that; these guys (geezers in GPB-speak) have something pretty unique to offer, some of the ball-striking and short-game expertise are as good as anything on the Big Tour. Langer seems not only to have retained most of his skills (if not his length), but also the competitive edge and mental strength where most are losing it except for brief cameos.
I like watching these guys, good luck to them!

But several established Champions Tour pros will fall off the gravy train this year as the new wave makes its entry. Much more so than usual. And not sure that it will be universally popular with the "Champions" below the top level of exemptions.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri Dec 06 2019, 16:19

kwinigolfer wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Thanks for that Kwin. The Champion's tour is certainly unique in professional sports. I mean, what other sport has aging stars play against each other for significant reward? Hats off to those that make the tour and hats off to the organizers that both recognize the market potential and keep the machine humming. But my biggest hats off has to go to one Bernhard Langer. Both his desire to keep competing and his physical stamina and conditioning are truly extraordinary.

Agree with that; these guys (geezers in GPB-speak) have something pretty unique to offer, some of the ball-striking and short-game expertise are as good as anything on the Big Tour. Langer seems not only to have retained most of his skills (if not his length), but also the competitive edge and mental strength where most are losing it except for brief cameos.
I like watching these guys, good luck to them!

But several established Champions Tour pros will fall off the gravy train this year as the new wave makes its entry. Much more so than usual. And not sure that it will be universally popular with the "Champions" below the top level of exemptions.
Kwini... Not sure if you have ever seen this... But it's the Champions Tour regulation book. It gives a lot more details on exactly how each one of the exemption categories work. https://qualifying.pgatourhq.com/static-assets/uploads/2019-pga-tour-champions-player-handbook-v9.pdf

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 06 2019, 17:30

robo, Thanks. I think!!

A welcome update from the circumstantial evidence gleaned by Clampett for his website . . . . . .

I'll start my research shortly.

Good start for RK.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Dec 06 2019, 22:49

Cream of the International crop survive at Champions Tour Q-School?
Thongchai (2nd) and Rob Karlsson (3rd) earn cards, along with journeymen Bertsch, Byrd, Leaney.

Disappointment for Campbell, Levet, Sandelin, Franco etc.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Dec 07 2019, 01:03

Even I think the name "Robin Byrd" is ridiculous.

Kwini: here another PDF that might interest you

https://qtregistration.pgatourhq.com/pdf/attachment-5.pdf

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Dec 07 2019, 01:14

I’m not a rules fascist. But what was Patrick Reed thinking? 2 shot penalty for improving his lie.
https://www.golfchannel.com/video/hero-world-challenge-2019-patrick-reed-rnd-3-highlights

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Dec 07 2019, 01:27

GPB wrote:Even I think the name "Robin Byrd" is ridiculous.

Kwini:  here another PDF that might interest you

https://qtregistration.pgatourhq.com/pdf/attachment-5.pdf

Thanks!

Not sure I'll be completing an entry form anytime soon, but interesting.
Can't for the life of me see why some of the early Q-School stages can't be played in the North.

I was posed a 20-teens trivia question today which I flunked. I'll modify it and give you some fun over the next few days . . . . . . . .

pedro,
Don't you reckon Patrick Reed looked a little bit sheepish when owning up to his penalty??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat Dec 07 2019, 01:33

Kwini,
The situation stunk and he knew it.
For some odd reason I think he’ll get away with it though. But any other player would have been called out as a cheat.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Dec 07 2019, 01:53

If the quiz is about Current Pop-Culture I would fail miserably.

I seen some "REACT" youtube videos where today's young people were asked about 1970's and 1980's pop culture. And it was incredible that don't know AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses and Led Zeppelin.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Dec 07 2019, 02:18

GPB wrote:If the quiz is about Current Pop-Culture I would fail miserably.

I seen some "REACT" youtube videos where today's young people were asked about 1970's and 1980's pop culture.  And it was incredible that don't know AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses and Led Zeppelin.

Nah,
I'd flunk that too. I'm more for the classics (viz stuff I like). More PGA Tour-oriented than that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Dec 07 2019, 03:41

There is some video evidence that Reed did this a few years back in the Middle East.

His rationalization was pathetic.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next