The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+21
TM2K
EmmDee57
JDizzle
Beer
incontinentia
LadyPutt
Davie
dynamark
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
JAS
pedro
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
Plunky
super_realist
beninho
McLaren
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 03 Jan 2020, 2:13 pm

First game in ages due to weather. So I wasn't used to it. It was "carry only" so that was new (for me since I rejoined the club last May). The rough was very muddy (which is where I play from). And I carried a full set. But I had an enjoyable game with "my group". If conditions are the same Monday I will thin my bag out and lose a few items.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 4 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by JAS Thu 13 Feb 2020, 10:02 am

Is the weather having an effect on this thread? Or is winter golf something to be endured and not discussed? Had my first outing on the course in 2 months on Sat. Was what we call the 4nations (don’t ask why it’s not 6, I have no idea) 4bbb matchplay and it’s all about holes won, we got spanked 8-3. I was around handicap/buffer but our opponents were -5 gross (off 7&9) one of the best examples of dovetailing I’ve seen.

Was good to get out and now looking forward to the first trip of the year, team open at Royal Porthcawl a week on Tues, making a good couple of days of it by travelling down to play Tenby on the Monday.

Will be interesting to see how the season unfolds. Probably the lightest winter I’ve had in terms of range time, no lessons since Oct either so very different from previous seasons where I’ve hammered the range and been coached regularly then spent the first half of the season tearing my hair out.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 13 Feb 2020, 1:06 pm

JAS wrote:Is the weather having an effect on this thread?
Yes. I usually play 3 times a week. Probably played only a couple of dozen rounds from December. Part of my course is susceptible to remaining wet/soggy so the front 9 is often closed. rain again last night, so closed today, and likely again tomorrow. More rain expected over the weekend, so not looking good for the start of next week.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 13 Feb 2020, 2:35 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
JAS wrote:Is the weather having an effect on this thread?
Yes. I usually play 3 times a week. Probably played only a couple of dozen rounds from December. Part of my course is susceptible to remaining wet/soggy so the front 9 is often closed. rain again last night, so closed today, and likely again tomorrow. More rain expected over the weekend, so not looking good for the start of next week.

Ours is quite susceptible as well INW, although not as bad as it used to be as a fair bit of drainage work has been done. Quite fortunate where I am really as I don’t have to travel that far for some decent links courses that are obviously much more resilient to wetter weather, after the Porthcawl trip we’ve got Saunton a couple of weeks later. Those are good options as well if the weather turns to snowy or frosty (just wonder if we’re actually going to get a decent cold snap here before the end of winter).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Feb 2020, 3:07 pm

As I said somewhere earlier on in this thread I was going to try and play more winter golf this winter, and I have actually played a fair bit. Probably managed about 10 rounds since October. But I have found scoring almost impossible. The short game is a mess and I have been unable to do much better than +5 or so most rounds. I had one +1 round when I felt more in the swing of things and warmed up after playing the day before, but on the whole it has been a horror show of duffed chips and 3 putts.

I have had days where I know my swing should be producing a decent score because the ball striking is good but I just can't score in winter conditions. 36 putts/round has been about the norm.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 05 Mar 2020, 10:25 am

Odd I thought I’d posted about my South Wales trip at the end of Feb, it would appear not, so anyway we had 2 days golf, Monday at Tenby and Tuesday at Royal Porthcawl. The Royal Porthcawl day was supposed to be the winter team open (team of 4 best 2 stableford scores on each hole to count). As it happened, so hideous was the weather for a spell on Monday that the decision was taken to cancel the comp (as the Tuesday forecast was pretty much more of the same)
So you can probably tell from the preamble that conditions were shall we say, testing!! Driving rain and wind 25 gusting to 40...yuk!! To be fair the worst of the rain eased off around the turn by which point I had a birdie putt on the 9th to double my stableford score!! Yup 3 points through 8 holes, anything that could have gone wrong did, including a low drilled 2nd shot on the 2nd ricocheting of a marker post and ending up in tangly rough way behind me.
Without the need to dry my glasses 2-3 times before every shot on the back 9 I managed a respectable 15 points back to match the 5 out.
Score was a bit irrelevant to be honest.

On the Tuesday morning we were told that Porthcawl was infact open and that we could either play or come back and play the (to be) rearranged comp. we all opted to play. If anything the wind was even stiffer on the Tuesday. For those that haven’t played RP the first 3 holes are all along the seafront with the sea to the left. With 45mph gusts I’m aiming for the shingle beach, que big dirty hook and ball lost left, horrible start but by the end had hit 12 out of 14 fairways which was very pleasing in the conditions, not quite as nailed was iron approaches, short game as well was a bit compromised to say the least, ended up with 26 points which was 2nd best out of the 12 of us. If nothing else those 2 days will help me appreciate those balmy summer evenings!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 07 Mar 2020, 5:22 pm

Played this morning. I was pretty poor. Lots of low left tee shots, not good when very muddy out. Very frustrating game.

I can range from mid 80s to mid late 90s. Annoying, is I know that when it works I'm ok. Considering an assessment with a local pro at a range, to see what needs tightening up.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 07 Mar 2020, 9:48 pm

I am extremely jealous, our place has been underwater since about November. I've played 1 round all winter. I had wanted to play the winter league, but that was completely cancelled. Hopefully it will dry out soon. Sad

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 10 Mar 2020, 1:25 pm

Due to play my 1st qualifier of the year this Sat with the Captains Farewell Cup, still only 13 holes open at the minute although they are hopeful of the soggy back 5 being open by the weekend.

Sunday should be altogether less soggy with the winter team open at Saunton. The following weekend I’ve got Walton Heath (old) lined up for my birthday.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:00 pm

Walton Heath old or new ... both fantastic! Happy Birthday.

I'm scheduled to play Crail and TOC in April unless this Corona Beer virus grounds my travel.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:23 pm

Crail is an odd choice Sr

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:29 pm

I know noting about the course ... invited by a friend. He's also lining up Elie. Another course I know nothing about. Staying at the Fairmont in SA.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 2:30 pm

Elie is cracking. Crail is nice, but quirky. Great views from clubhouse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Mar 2020, 4:22 pm

Is crail that odd a choice? If you want a second round to TOC the first choice is probably KB but that is ridiculously expensive. Next best choice is somewhere like Elie or Crail. Although I really like Leven and Lundin. Leven is some of the best value golf in Scotland.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 4:48 pm

McLaren wrote:Is crail that odd a choice? If you want a second round to TOC the first choice is probably KB but that is ridiculously expensive. Next best choice is somewhere like Elie or Crail. Although I really like Leven and Lundin. Leven is some of the best value golf in Scotland.

Ladybank, Dukes, Elie, Lundin, New, Jubilee and Castle are probably all ahead of Crail, Leven gets absolutely hammered.
Dumbarnie looks excellent, but doesn't open until May.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:01 pm

Super

What do you mean Leven gets absolutely hammered?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:05 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

What do you mean Leven gets absolutely hammered?

I mean of all the Fife courses it probably gets played more than any other. There are two clubs attached to it and it hosts virtually every Fife Amateur event, plus a couple of noteable Amateur Events, consequently the condition is not nearly as good as its more upper class neighbour Lundin Links because it gets absolutely battered.
I do like the Leven layout, though it has some awful holes, eg 2,3 and 4, but the 18th is one of the finest finishing holes in British golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:19 pm

Yeh, fair enough. But you can often get it for sub £40 (sometimes < £30) on those tee time apps. I don't mind the slightly quirkier holes such as 2.

But at those prices it is the perfect second round course if you have shelled out on one of the biggies.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 7:32 pm

McLaren wrote:Yeh, fair enough. But you can often get it for sub £40 (sometimes < £30) on those tee time apps. I don't mind the slightly quirkier holes such as 2.

But at those prices it is the perfect second round course if you have shelled out on one of the biggies.

Potentially, but really busy courses like Leven and Monifieth are not easy to get a time on when you want it.

If I was coming from America and wanted to play a non St. Andrews links course I would go for Montrose, I was astonished how good it was. Panmure would be another good choice

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:05 pm

Shotrock wrote:Walton Heath old or new ... both fantastic! Happy Birthday.

I'm scheduled to play Crail and TOC in April unless this Corona Beer virus grounds my travel.

The old Shotrock, really looking forward to it. Working my way round the U.K. & Ireland Top 100 and this one will put me on 49, have had quite a fallow couple of years but getting back to it this year. I should have tried to squeeze in 36 and do the new as well.

Good luck with the travel plans, think there’s going to be a fair bit of tightening of restrictions in next few weeks. How long are you over for? You’re certainly spoilt for choice of courses in that area.

Is Crail the one that you can see from Kingsbarns and vice versa?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:26 pm

Yeah, Crail is close to the far end of Crail Balcomie

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:52 pm

And Leven is near Methil where Super was raised.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Mar 2020, 9:05 pm

McLaren wrote:And Leven is near Methil where Super was raised.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 10 Mar 2020, 9:08 pm

Yeah played Leven 4ish years ago? courtesy of Ladyputt. I really enjoyed it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 11 Mar 2020, 1:56 pm

Trip just postponed! Bummer ... but I plan to reschedule this summer/fall. Meantime, I will be playing my home course a good deal until the KPMG Ladies invade the place.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 13 Mar 2020, 3:37 pm

All 18 holes open on my course today. First time in months.....just in time for the yearly maintenance next week when we go to temporary greens. You couldn't make it up.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 13 Mar 2020, 5:31 pm

INW what do they do to put you on temps ?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 14 Mar 2020, 9:11 pm

I believe they are hollow tining the greens. To be fair, they say they will take a week, but sometimes we get back onto greens on the Wednesday or Friday.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 18 Mar 2020, 2:59 pm

I think I am fortunate in that my golf course is still open. The clubhouse is closed and most people are changing their shoes in the car park. Plenty of hand sanitiser about. No ball washing facilities and no touching the flags. Still managed to have an enjoyable fourball today, even though the temporary greens are a lottery. Lots of gimmies.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 18 Mar 2020, 5:53 pm

Essex Golf Union have cancelled all county competitions for 2020, Suffolk Golf Union are expected to announce the same today. Assume that is the same everywhere?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 18 Mar 2020, 7:00 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Essex Golf Union have cancelled all county competitions for 2020, Suffolk Golf Union are expected to announce the same today. Assume that is the same everywhere?
Don't know much about this Blue, but my area has cancelled events until the 8th May. But I don't know when that was posted.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 18 Mar 2020, 8:45 pm

INW My home club in Suffolk have cancelled all internal Club Competitions for the foreseeable future. They have said 'We don't believe it's appropriate for the Club to be holding competitions that attract members to come to the golf club when the guidance is to avoid all non-essential contact'

Both courses remain open for casual / social golf for those who wish to play, following the guidance laid out in previous communications. Hard to argue against really.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 18 Mar 2020, 9:07 pm

Same here Blue. In my seniors group, we all book 4 weeks in advance for the competition on a Monday. We will continue to do so, but what we are booking for NOW is just a social game. All comps cancelled. We sometimes get 100 seniors playing on a Monday morning so the takings at the clubhouse are going to take a hit. (Not just us oldies, of course). The other thing is, those people who are 7 day members who can't usually play during the week, may now have the opportunity to do so if their place of work is closed or they are working from home.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 18 Mar 2020, 10:06 pm

Think most clubs will be taking a huge hit over the summer. Fear for some it may be the straw that broke the camels...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 23 Mar 2020, 8:52 am

Well never got my birthday round at Walton Heath, they closed to visitors. Never mind, it’ll keep, we’re already in a very different place from when the round was booked. Beginning to wonder now about the Tassie in September.

On the pro front I think it’s highly likely that all 4 majors will be binned this year now. The FedEx & RTD as well, as for the RC...qualifying will pretty much be shot to Poopie so highly likely that’ll be postponed as well.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 23 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm

JAS - you're more than welcome to come up to my club - if clubs remain open. I won a prize in the Xmas raffle that entitles me to bring three guests on the same day for free.

Played today - course open, clubhouse not. (Toilets - only one person at a time.)

Course in (relatively) fine nick after maintenance last week. Still pick and place through the green, and cups of holes one inch proud, resulted in my going around in a net 5 under. Can't really count it. I don't know if I had another hole in one - hit the ball up in the air towards the hole, and we all lost sight of it. Found it an inch away from the cup. Did it hit the cup and roll back? Dunno.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:09 am

Played a social round a couple of days before the lockdown. 1st 3 holes were closed at the time due to 1st two holes being waterlogged. So coming to the fourth, surprised to see a group playing the 3rd hole. Then noticed it was just a two ball with someone filming them. Turns out it was David Seaman doing a promo or similar. HERE is the video on YouTube. I think I can be seen about 11.11 into the video on the far left hand side. They edit the video to show the holes in a totally different order than they are played.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 20 Apr 2020, 8:18 pm

Was enjoying that and then they started talking about that Ronaldinho goal...all those bad memories came flooding back! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 12 May 2020, 11:57 am

Does anyone who lives in England plan to play tomorrow?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 12 May 2020, 1:51 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Played a social round a couple of days before the lockdown. 1st 3 holes were closed at the time due to 1st two holes being waterlogged. So coming to the fourth, surprised to see a group playing the 3rd hole. Then noticed it was just a two ball with someone filming them. Turns out it was David Seaman doing a promo or similar. HERE is the video on YouTube. I think I can be seen about 11.11 into the video on the far left hand side. They edit the video to show the holes in a totally different order than they are played.

I missed that first time around but course looking great! Would rather have seen them playing the back nine though especially 16 and 17 :-)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 12 May 2020, 5:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Does anyone who lives in England plan to play tomorrow?

Many of the courses in Essex are opening tomorrow Mac. A few on Friday of which my club is one. All are restricting play to members only for the first couple of weeks.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 12 May 2020, 6:53 pm

Mine is open on Friday as well. Restricting it to 9 holes so everyone can get some holes in.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 18 May 2020, 3:55 pm

First game of golf for a few weeks. As stated above, only 9 holes. Had a good game with a mate and we ended up all square. Course is in fantastic condition, and in contrast to last time I played, the ball has some run on it. Getting drives to where I usually hit them. Can't really count score, as we have raised cups, but I was two over handicap. So not bad all in all. Went round in 90 minutes, and that was with stopping to let the people in front get way ahead of us a couple of times.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 May 2020, 3:58 pm

Very jealous. Good for you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 18 May 2020, 8:25 pm

First game for me yesterday as well, beautiful sunny day on the Suffolk coast. Very organised at the club, vehicles stopped at the entrance by volunteers checking membership, that tee times were pre-booked, advising social distancing procedures in place etc. Clubhouse and Pro Shop closed, no buggies or trolleys available to hire. Course was in surprisingly good condition considering all but two greenstaff had been furloughed. No touching the flag pins, bunkers out of play due to no rakes, ball washers, litter bins, bench seats all out of use. Really enjoyed it, struck the ball well considering first time playing since on holiday in Mexico back in March. Looking forward to another game at my Essex club later this week.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 25 May 2020, 6:20 pm

Hurray! We can play from Friday. Tee time booked for 11.45 (we don't get up early Very Happy ). It's been a long wait!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 30 May 2020, 4:37 pm

It was a relief to find out I can still hit the ball OK but decent scores feel a long way off. Short game is in no state to keep a round going.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 31 May 2020, 6:46 pm

Super

How did your domic Cummings golf trip go?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Jun 2020, 6:27 am

Excellent Mac.
Didn't have to interact with a single person other than my playing partner. 2m observed at all times.  Birdied the first hole but topped my tee shot off the second but other than that very good indeed. Five birdies and my best ever day with my driver so hoping to have found something there.
Course looks very different with just two balls, daisies on the fairways, no caddies, course furniture etc, like stepping back in time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 01 Jun 2020, 11:44 am

McLaren wrote:Super

How did your domic Cummings golf trip go?

Thats a bit harsh Mac, most of the courses down our way are members only at the moment. If up there is the same then Super perhaps wouldn't be able to play closer to home. So he has clearly made a judgement and followed his instincts....oops scrub that last bit :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next