The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

+43
LeinsterFan4life
Hazel Sapling
Ozzy3213
chris_501
Maddogflanker
Welshmushroom
Irish Londoner
Cumbrian
maestegmafia
carpet baboon
whocares
Collapse2005
stnick88
bsando
Gooseberry
sensisball
tigertattie
RiscaGame
Sgt_Pooly
bathmad
TightHEAD
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
yappysnap
Welly
Rugby Fan
Rinsure
bluestonevedder
Bathite
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
propdavid_london
George Carlin
BamBam
Fluxy
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
SirBurger
Geordie
king_carlos
47 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 5 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not a great position for Saints, captain and international level hooker looks likely so they've resorted to signing what is at best squad filler. Presumably Haywood and Fish will carry the bulk of the playing time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 5 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by Rinsure Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:26 am

bathmad wrote:
Rinsure wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
Lima Sopoaga -> NZ somewhere that isn't Wasps

Sopoaga has responded to this rumour, saying:

"If everything rumoured about me were true, I'd e in five different places in the world at once, 7ft tall and playing for the Lakers... ok the last two aren't rumours, just my dreams.

I'm not going anywhere, if you wanna find me I'll be chasing my 2 year old on her scooter around Leamington."

So looks like we're stuck with him...

He's been a poor investment though when you consider how Cipriani was playing 2 years ago before he was replaced!

Oh you'll get no argument on that from pretty much any Wasps fan. Proper man sausage-up the way Cips was handled and allowed to leave. Cips had a brilliant season for Glaws last time around, and has started off well this season too. I'd much rather we'd kept Cips and invested in a big, ugly lock to harden up our pack.

I think The Times rated Sopoaga as the worst signing in the Prem last season .

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 5 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by LondonTiger Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:36 am

I think Cips is actually struggling this season, with Ackerman suggesting his head is not in the right place as he explained his omission from Europe the other week.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:53 am

LondonTiger wrote:I think Cips is actually struggling this season, with Ackerman suggesting his head is not in the right place as he explained his omission from Europe the other week.

Hadn't seen that comment, but thought he was okay yesterday - made one try, but made a couple of errors too. Notably kicking a pen dead when trying for too much distance.

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 Dec 2019, 5:09 pm

Rumours that Fraser Balmain is getting released by Gloucester. Take from that what you will re the Sinckler to Gloucester rumours.

Balmain has matured into a really solid tighthead. I expect he will be picked up pretty quickly for next season. Perhaps Newcastle could be interested in bringing him back with all of Mulipola, Welch and Ah You older than 30.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Dec 2019, 8:27 pm

Balmain is 28 has been a regular starter for a couple of years at Gloucester. He's looked solid enough at the scrum and carries pretty well. Good league level player, I'm sure a few will be looking at him. If Bristol miss out on Sinckler they might do a lot worse. I wonder whether Balmain overly enjoying an all inclusive holiday and returning for pre season quite a bit over weight has counted against him.

Dreyer, Ford-Robinson and the young lad Knight are the other options. Only Dreyer is realistic competition and I think he's had his injury problems. Knight could well step up mind.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 02 Dec 2019, 8:39 pm

Makes you wonder what kind of all inclusive Ben Tamifola was on though!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 02 Dec 2019, 8:41 pm

Rinsure wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I think Cips is actually struggling this season, with Ackerman suggesting his head is not in the right place as he explained his omission from Europe the other week.

Hadn't seen that comment, but thought he was okay yesterday - made one try, but made a couple of errors too. Notably kicking a pen dead when trying for too much distance.

Yeah I seen bits of this. This is how Priestland was playing before the fans turned on him, then we were told it was our fault he was playing that way. He's still the same at Bath. It's annoying really.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:08 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Dreyer, Ford-Robinson and the young lad Knight are the other options. Only Dreyer is realistic competition and I think he's had his injury problems. Knight could well step up mind.

Gloucester are apparently in the market for Sinckler and Schonert so seems they have decided to target some cap at bringing in a better tighthead.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Dec 2019, 10:31 am

Scarlets are also in the mix for Liam Williams apparently.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 03 Dec 2019, 4:51 pm

Rumours that Tom Woolstencroft is being courted by a few Premiership clubs for a move away from Sarries. I can't decide whether to believe there's anything in the rumours he's leaving. Given their need to reduce spending everyone in that squad seems to have rumours about them floating around!

On the one hand he has improved a lot there so won't want to sit behind George and Singleton. On the other hand he won't cost Sarries a huge amount and can cover the back row in emergency, which could be valuable with Sarries likely to have a smaller squad going forward.

I'd happily take him at Tigers with Polota-Nau and Youngs potentially in their last season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 03 Dec 2019, 5:31 pm

Agree on Woolstencroft Carlos, he was excellent against us earlier this season. Got a well rounded game and is a pain at the breakdown. Better than third choice. The move to Sarries really has helped him kick on.

If Schonert and Sinckler go to Glaws is expect Balmain, Ford-Robinson and possibly Dreyer as well to be released to free up cap room. Glaws must be pretty close to the cap. Unless of course they are redistributing the Owen Williams cap when his mega deal is finally up in the summer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 03 Dec 2019, 10:25 pm

They wont get Sinckler and Schonert. A case of one or the other.

Scratch the Schonert rumours though. He's just been announced as signing an extension with Worcester!

Sarries will probably lose Williams, Rhodes, possibly Maitland and one or two of their props to free up cap. Barritt and/or Wigglesworth may retire allowing cheaper replacements as well.

I could see Isiekwe and Lozowski moving on if Sarries can't meet the big salary increases they will be due compared to when they last signed.

Then the likes of Woolstencroft and Kpoku may well be eyeing up moves to get more game time.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 8:51 am

Lozowski seems to be being frozen out by McCall, unless he is injured.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 04 Dec 2019, 9:23 am

king_carlos wrote:They wont get Sinckler and Schonert. A case of one or the other.

Scratch the Schonert rumours though. He's just been announced as signing an extension with Worcester!

Sarries will probably lose Williams, Rhodes, possibly Maitland and one or two of their props to free up cap. Barritt and/or Wigglesworth may retire allowing cheaper replacements as well.

I could see Isiekwe and Lozowski moving on if Sarries can't meet the big salary increases they will be due compared to when they last signed.

Then the likes of Woolstencroft and Kpoku may well be eyeing up moves to get more game time.

Kpoku is already confirmed as off to Saints isn't he?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 9:28 am

Technically no Kpoku to Saints not official as they are not allowed to officially talk to him yet. However it does seem to be a done deal.

PS I had not realised he had a twin brother also in Sarries academy.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 9:34 am

Piutau extends his contract at Bristol.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Dec 2019, 9:46 am

LondonTiger wrote:Lozowski seems to be being frozen out by McCall, unless he is injured.

He seemed to be the 13 of choice a couple of weeks back with Tompkins at 12. Good midfield. They've then switched to the more experienced Barrett and Taylor combination. Could just Sarries rotating the squad. I'd be surprised if he was being frozen out completely as he's such a versatile player to have.

Who Sarries lose will depend on how far over the cap they are. If it is the rumoured £650k then losing Williams and three squad players will cover it. If it is more than that then issues might start. Wigglesworth will probably take up a coaching position at the end of the season which will free up a decent amount of cap with Sarries looking to use what they have coming through plus Spencer knowing that Wigglesworth could come out of retirement and cover as injury dispensation if they need it. I'd have thought the likes of Rhodes will be tied down to a new contract as he really is a Sarries style player and given his injury record won't be in high demand.

Maitland, Woolstencroft, one of the locks (probably Kpoku) and a prop (Figallo or Koch) plus Williams/Wigglesworth as already mentioned should put a significant dent in the cap overspend without seriously damaging the squad. Might even provide some room for salary top ups for incumbents.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Wed 04 Dec 2019, 11:11 am

LondonTiger wrote:Piutau extends his contract at Bristol.

This slipped under my radar - big news for Bristol fans, confirming they'll get to see - hang on, I'm assuming this is Charles, not Siale? On the premise it is Charles, then yeah, they'll get to see him lining up in the same back line as Semi Radradra.

Every other side stuffing the ball as far up the hooker's jersey as it'll go, then!

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 04 Dec 2019, 12:24 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Lozowski seems to be being frozen out by McCall, unless he is injured.

He seemed to be the 13 of choice a couple of weeks back with Tompkins at 12. Good midfield. They've then switched to the more experienced Barrett and Taylor combination. Could just Sarries rotating the squad. I'd be surprised if he was being frozen out completely as he's such a versatile player to have.

Who Sarries lose will depend on how far over the cap they are. If it is the rumoured £650k then losing Williams and three squad players will cover it. If it is more than that then issues might start. Wigglesworth will probably take up a coaching position at the end of the season which will free up a decent amount of cap with Sarries looking to use what they have coming through plus Spencer knowing that Wigglesworth could come out of retirement and cover as injury dispensation if they need it. I'd have thought the likes of Rhodes will be tied down to a new contract as he really is a Sarries style player and given his injury record won't be in high demand.

Maitland, Woolstencroft, one of the locks (probably Kpoku) and a prop (Figallo or Koch) plus Williams/Wigglesworth as already mentioned should put a significant dent in the cap overspend without seriously damaging the squad. Might even provide some room for salary top ups for incumbents.

Last time I heard Kpoku was heading to Saints.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/northampton-saints-land-major-coup-in-england-u20s-star-kpoku/

They also seem to have signed a replacement for Hartley in Matavesi from Cornish Pirates. He should suit the kind of game Saints are currently playing, can cover 8 too.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 04 Dec 2019, 12:30 pm

Beeb also reporting that Saints are interested in Ben Youngs. Why he is the antipathy of everything Saints aspire to do on the field. We already have Reinach, Taylor and Mitchell, I would prefer any of them over Ben Youngs. He is too slow in everything to be able to play the game at the speed Saints like to.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 12:49 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Beeb also reporting that Saints are interested in Ben Youngs. Why he is the antipathy of everything Saints aspire to do on the field. We already have Reinach, Taylor and Mitchell, I would prefer any of them over Ben Youngs. He is too slow in everything to be able to play the game at the speed Saints like to.

I think you have forgotten how good he can be when allowed to go out and play. With a Boyd/Vesty coached attack you would see him prosper. Mind Vesty will be gone by next season even if Boyd has issued a hands off warning.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Dec 2019, 1:21 pm

LT you think Vesty is coming home? Fingers Crossed

Youngs could adapt to the Northampton style of play, he played a lot more off the cuff running rugby in his younger days. Was far more comparable with Care then. It's as he's gone on he was told he needed a more tactical game which he's developed to a point his natural attacking game is rarely seen. Isn't Reinach rumoured to be off at the end of the season?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 04 Dec 2019, 1:26 pm

...and just seen the Vesty to England as attack coach rumours. I think he'd be ideal and it would the next step in his development. If he shows up well with England he'd then be in line for a head coach job ala Gustard and Borthwick. Can't see him leaving before the end of the season though, I think Saints have a good chance to grab some silverware and he'll want to have chance to be part of that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:35 pm

Falcons Hooker Kyle Cooper has joined Exeter on loan till March.

Good signing for both parties. He's a beast of a hooker, but just dropped form a little and is wasted in the championship.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:35 pm

Yeah Vesty to England much more likely than back to WR.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:36 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Beeb also reporting that Saints are interested in Ben Youngs. Why he is the antipathy of everything Saints aspire to do on the field. We already have Reinach, Taylor and Mitchell, I would prefer any of them over Ben Youngs. He is too slow in everything to be able to play the game at the speed Saints like to.

I think you have forgotten how good he can be when allowed to go out and play. With a Boyd/Vesty coached attack you would see him prosper. Mind Vesty will be gone by next season even if Boyd has issued a hands off warning.

I haven't forgotten how good he USED to play, but I have not seen that Ben Youngs for a long time, for England or Tigers. Has he still got the pace? He seems to be so slow to get to the breakdown these days and then takes 5 minutes to get the ball away.

I have heard rumors about Reinach, but nothing concrete. Saints would be mad to let him go unless he wants to go home, even then they need to do everything in their power to get him to stay.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:36 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons Hooker Kyle Cooper has joined Exeter on loan till March.

Good signing for both parties. He's a beast of a hooker, but just dropped form a little and is wasted in the championship.

Yeandle out for a while I guess.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:40 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I haven't forgotten how good he USED to play, but I have not seen that Ben Youngs for a long time, for England or Tigers. Has he still got the pace? He seems to be so slow to get to the breakdown these days and then takes 5 minutes to get the ball away.

I have heard rumors about Reinach, but nothing concrete. Saints would be mad to let him go unless he wants to go home, even then they need to do everything in their power to get him to stay.

Interestingly the Opta Stats that England use show Youngs is the quickest English SH playing regularly in the prem to the breakdown and quickest at moving the ball. I will scan the document I have when in office and upload.

Reinach is out of contract at end of the season. I heard he planned to return to SA for family reasons.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:47 pm

Gary Graham, pretty much confirmed to be leaving in the summer but destination unknown...but Glasgow and Clermont apparently interested.

Rumours that Flood has been offered a new 2 year deal...jeez i hope to GOD that isnt true. Maybe..its a player coaching Role?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 04 Dec 2019, 3:49 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Falcons Hooker Kyle Cooper has joined Exeter on loan till March.

Yeandle out for a while I guess.

Possibly yeah...well they have a very good replacement. Physical, abrasive and a huge carrier.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 05 Dec 2019, 2:32 am

LondonTiger wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Interestingly the Opta Stats that England use show Youngs is the quickest English SH playing regularly in the prem to the breakdown and quickest at moving the ball. I will scan the document I have when in office and upload.

Reinach is out of contract at end of the season. I heard he planned to return to SA for family reasons.

would that be because with Tigers tactics each breakdown is just a short waddle away from the last one? I mean it's not like there's many line breaks for him to have to chase...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 05 Dec 2019, 12:33 pm

I don't wish to belittle anyone, but I find the speed of delivery bit hard to understand. From what I have seen Tigers are so slow at getting the ball back, the opposition defense goes on a weekend break and gets back before the ball is available.

If they could get quick ball they would be a lot more dangerous.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 05 Dec 2019, 12:38 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I don't wish to belittle anyone, but I find the speed of delivery bit hard to understand. From what I have seen Tigers are so slow at getting the ball back, the opposition defense goes on a weekend break and gets back before the ball is available.

If they could get quick ball they would be a lot more dangerous.

We are actually crap at presenting good ball. Stats for Lenny include playing for England who are much better at it. They record: time to get to feet; time to arrive at breakdown; time to move ball once presented - later being subjective largely.

TBH so much of how an individual performs is down to the team performance. You can only ever judge players when placed in different environments. Lenny would not come cheap. Last time his contract was up Saints offered more than Tigers, but not enough to persuade him to move. Our finances are tight up at the cap right now, so I could see a move happening and being good for all involved.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Dec 2019, 2:14 pm

Finances should be helped at the end of the season by Harrison and TPN both coming off the books. That should free up around £400k. Neither will be directly replaced as we currently have four senior hookers and scrum halfs (technically five senior hookers as Stevens is still on the books). If Tom Youngs leaves as well we will have to recruit another hooker.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Dec 2019, 3:47 pm

Tigers have 17 players coming out of contract including Genge, Polota-Nau, Tom Youngs, Spencer, Kalamafoni, Ben Youngs, Ford and Jonny May from the bigger earners. If there's a time for Tigers to overhaul their stale set-up then now is it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Dec 2019, 6:27 pm

I feel we did a lot of that overhaul in the summer and we did it pretty well.

If Tom Youngs retires then I'd like to see us go after a quality option as we won't retain TPN. Quality hooker options aren't hard to find though, Cooper if Falcons (currently on loan at Exeter) or Woolstencroft would both be good additions without breaking the bank. We apparently did some scouting in Australia over the summer and they've been producing some good young ball carrying hookers recently.

Spencer, Ford and Genge we will be looking to retain. Substantial payrises for Ford and Genge, I doubt Spencer will be offered improved terms given his injury record and we signed him at a good time in his career for him.

May and Ben Youngs we'll try to keep but not at all costs. May may opt to go but as our new head of rugby operations (or whatever his title is) has good links in Fiji we would hopefully recruit well from there and we have Browning and Steward coming through from the development squad both looking like they could play a part. Benny will probably stay for sentimental reasons, if he does go then good 9s aren't impossible to find, NZ and SA seem to be churning them out and have our own production line as well.

Kalamafoni can stay or go doesn't matter. If he goes then hopefully Liebenburg has a chat with his old mate van Staden (sp?) At the Bulls as he looks a unit and would be a bit younger and more mobile.

Add a bit of quality, add a bit of youth in hooker and the backrow otherwise keep most of what we have.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Dec 2019, 6:53 pm

I could see a few sides having significant player changes next season.

Tigers, Wasps and Bath all need a bit of an overhaul.

Sarries will be forced into changes.

Quins look like a squad still in transition as well. Pundits often say it takes a DOR/head coach 2-3 years to get near the squad he actually wants. I'd say that the Quins squad looks like Gustard is in the middle of that phase with a few very good players but also a few who seem like stop gaps.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Dec 2019, 6:57 pm

Carlos who would you be offloading as part of the Tigers overhaul?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Dec 2019, 7:15 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Carlos who would you be offloading as part of the Tigers overhaul?

Polota-Nau and Youngs are earning a lot in a position where Tigers are usually second best to the opposition.

It may not be popular with a lot of fans but I'm not convinced that Will Spencer is a 1st XV lock if we want to challenge the play-offs again. I think we need to bring in someone of the quality of Isiekwe, to do that Spencer may not provided value as a squad man compared to say Calum Green. How Ruan Botha has helped the LI pack sums up our lack of performance at lock quite well.

Kalamafoni is a work horse but doesn't offer the ball carrying he once did at 8 and lacks the line-out option that Liebenberg adds at 6. Arguably his salary could be better used on a bigger ball carrier for the back row.

Jonny May is a great finisher and England's best wing but I think that investment would be used better in targeting the likes of Lozowski who offers versatility and defensive leadership.

Eastmond hasn't shown much and his cap should be re-used elsewhere.

Then there is the Ben Youngs dilemma. I've long been an advocate but he hasn't shown form for Tigers in a long time and is the third highest paid 9 in the Prem after Hougaard and Faf. I'd love to think we can play heads up rugby with Ben looking the player he used to be when he could beat wingers on the outside. My brain says we'd get better value from someone such as Brad Weber or Sonatane Takulua though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 05 Dec 2019, 7:39 pm

I'd forgotten Eastmond still played for us. His form has gone up and down more times than the big dipper and he's been injured for as many games as he's been available. I'd happily sacrifice him if we could get Lozowski (that would be an upgrade in salary mind).

Agree on hooker, we aren't getting value for money there though Tom Youngs has played a lot better this season. The rumour unheard last season was that he intends to retire at the end of this season and concentrate on the farm so it might be we are forced to look at options. Kerr plus Clare the development squad plus A N Other would work for me.

Agree on Benny, we've not seen the best of him for a while. If he wants to stay I'd retain him because he's Tigers through and through and loyalty works both ways. However, that doesn't mean we should offer him the earth to stay. A Brad Weber style signing would be the ideal replacement. Someone experienced, can vary their play but isn't at an age where they can't now out as our young guns start hitting their straps.

Disagree on Spencer, think he's been good for us when fit and isn't likely to miss chunks of the season on international duty. I wouldn't be against adding Isikwe for Kalamafoni as he can play lock and 6, I suspect we paid a fair amount for Kalamafoni at the time as well because we were desperate for a ball carrying 8. If not and a more direct replacement for Kalamafoni is required than tapping Liebenburg up for some contacts in SA wouldn't be a bad idea that or trying to get his brother to follow him over.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Dec 2019, 7:49 pm

Next hooker coming up is Archie Vanes. He's one of the best talents in the academy squad but is still U18. So if both Youngs and Polota-Nau move on then a couple of signings is most likely.

I think Spencer is solid but haven't seen much more to be honest. If we can keep him and get a significant upgrade as a starter whilst staying within the cap then grand. If getting a set-piece lock who offers more around the park to partner Lavanini meant us struggling to fit Spencer in the cap then I'd rather we went after someone such as Isiekwe or Jacques du Plessis (Montpellier) with a big wage.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Dec 2019, 7:51 pm

Slightly derailing this into a Tigers thread sorry everyone...

Saints are rumoured to be signing Fijian loosehead Eroni Mawi. He is gigantic, mobile and at 23-years old should keep improving with good coaching.

Smart work again by Saints recruitment if it comes through.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 05 Dec 2019, 8:48 pm

Jacques du Plessis is Pieter-Steph du Toit mark II. Hell of a player. Is his contract coming to an end? I'm surprised SA don't just cap him before France or someone else does. Saying that, I'm not sure if he's tied in through playing for SA u20 back in 2013.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 05 Dec 2019, 9:27 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Jacques du Plessis is Pieter-Steph du Toit mark II. Hell of a player. Is his contract coming to an end? I'm surprised SA don't just cap him before France or someone else does. Saying that, I'm not sure if he's tied in through playing for SA u20 back in 2013.

He re-signed last season if I remember correctly, not sure how long for though.

I was more just thinking out loud that Tigers could do with a better starter to partner Lavanini and run the line-out. There are plenty of good locks around. Nico Janse van Rensburg is also at Montpellier for instance. London Irish have plucked Ruan Botha from Top League and he's been a revelation for them.

Lavanini was a really good signing but I look at the sides we are chasing and feel that our 'set-piece locks' lag a long way behind. Kruis, Itoje and Isiekwe at Sarries. Mostert, Grobler and Slater at Gloucester. Lawes, Moon and Ribbans at Saints. Hill and Skinner at Chiefs. Even newly promoted Irish have Ruan Botha and Adam Coleman.

It's not often that I look at our second row pairing and think, 'that will get us on the front foot for sure'.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 06 Dec 2019, 10:31 am

king_carlos wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Jacques du Plessis is Pieter-Steph du Toit mark II. Hell of a player. Is his contract coming to an end? I'm surprised SA don't just cap him before France or someone else does. Saying that, I'm not sure if he's tied in through playing for SA u20 back in 2013.

He re-signed last season if I remember correctly, not sure how long for though.

I was more just thinking out loud that Tigers could do with a better starter to partner Lavanini and run the line-out. There are plenty of good locks around. Nico Janse van Rensburg is also at Montpellier for instance. London Irish have plucked Ruan Botha from Top League and he's been a revelation for them.

Lavanini was a really good signing but I look at the sides we are chasing and feel that our 'set-piece locks' lag a long way behind. Kruis, Itoje and Isiekwe at Sarries. Mostert, Grobler and Slater at Gloucester. Lawes, Moon and Ribbans at Saints. Hill and Skinner at Chiefs. Even newly promoted Irish have Ruan Botha and Adam Coleman.

It's not often that I look at our second row pairing and think, 'that will get us on the front foot for sure'.

I finally watched the saints game last night and found myself thinking the exact same thing. As good as Lavanini is, we just looked outclassed with Green in there at lock, and as you say, every other prem team seems to be really well stocked at the position. I am just not entirely sure what Green brings to the party, or Wells? I understand Green was part of a hugely successful lineout at Falcons, but ours at the weekend was appalling. Perhaps that's more to do with Youngs' throwing, perhaps not. 

On a separate note, I thought that the Saints young lock Moon was excellent. What another great academy product.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Dec 2019, 12:22 pm

It could be worse... you could have Joe Davies and Max Williams at lock.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 06 Dec 2019, 2:03 pm

The issue with Green is that outside from the set piece he is pretty much anonymous. Wells isn't big enough big enough bti make his presence felt at the set piece but offers more around the park. Spencer offers more of both but is often injured. Am extra lock of class might well be worth the investment as Lavanini shown just how much we've been missing. We have got done very talented young lads on the way through.

Carlos how many hookers do we need? Keep Kerr, Clare and new signing with a one year renewal for Stevens as emergency cover and that's us well stocked fairly cheaply. As Vanes comes of age we release Stevens. Could always ditch Stevens and take a punt on a PI option that might give us some more options. Our recruitment team are supposed to have good contacts in Fiji so we might as well use them.

Watching the Saints game back and it really was a horror show from Ben Youngs (makes the Brad Weber call a better thought), well both Youngs really. Saints were lucky to be level and not two scores down after 25 minutes, possibly Carley's only mistake being that forward pass call (he really did have a very good game the ref). We definitely need more quality in the back three so hopefully an injury dispensation signing is on the way in we can't keep playing Forsyth.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 07 Dec 2019, 8:20 am

Sale apparently priced out of any move for Nakawara. Toulon favourites to add him to their stable of aging forwards, while Glasgow also holding talks with their former player.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 07 Dec 2019, 10:14 am

king_carlos wrote:Slightly derailing this into a Tigers thread sorry everyone...

Saints are rumoured to be signing Fijian loosehead Eroni Mawi. He is gigantic, mobile and at 23-years old should keep improving with good coaching.

Smart work again by Saints recruitment if it comes through.

With Painter at TH, that would make a monstrous front row, mobile as well.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 07 Dec 2019, 11:51 am

LondonTiger wrote:Sale apparently priced out of any move for Nakawara. Toulon favourites to add him to their stable of aging forwards, while Glasgow also holding talks with their former player.

A massive pay packet and the south of France climate. Could be worse. I'm sure Racing would be impressed by him going to a rival.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next