The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

+43
LeinsterFan4life
Hazel Sapling
Ozzy3213
chris_501
Maddogflanker
Welshmushroom
Irish Londoner
Cumbrian
maestegmafia
carpet baboon
whocares
Collapse2005
stnick88
bsando
Gooseberry
sensisball
tigertattie
RiscaGame
Sgt_Pooly
bathmad
TightHEAD
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
yappysnap
Welly
Rugby Fan
Rinsure
bluestonevedder
Bathite
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
propdavid_london
George Carlin
BamBam
Fluxy
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
SirBurger
Geordie
king_carlos
47 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 19 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Jul 2019, 12:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not a great position for Saints, captain and international level hooker looks likely so they've resorted to signing what is at best squad filler. Presumably Haywood and Fish will carry the bulk of the playing time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 19 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by Geordie Fri 24 Apr 2020, 10:24 am

A fit and form Tompkins and Williams in the midfield would be very useful indeed Sam.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 - Page 19 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 Apr 2020, 10:50 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:A fit and form Tompkins and Williams in the midfield would be very useful indeed Sam.

I think both are more suited to inside as opposed to outside centre. We saw that in the 6N with Thompkins making a couple of bad reads in defence an area where he's normally reliable. Williams is one I can see being a success at 12 internationally particularly if he works on his distribution. Probably not under Eddie Jones who much prefers a second playmaker at 12. Williams isn't going to be able to step into the Manu role, whether a midfield of Ford/Farrell with Williams and at 12 and Slade at 13 could work I don't know.

At under 20 level he combined very well with Marchant at 13. That was a midfield combination with a very nice balance to it.

Johnny Williams chose England over Wales at under 20s level so I don't think it would be a foregone conclusion that Wales will tempt him across.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 Apr 2020, 10:53 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:A fit and form Tompkins and Williams in the midfield would be very useful indeed Sam.

I think both are more suited to inside as opposed to outside centre. We saw that in the 6N with Thompkins making a couple of bad reads in defence an area where he's normally reliable. Williams is one I can see being a success at 12 internationally particularly if he works on his distribution. Probably not under Eddie Jones who much prefers a second playmaker at 12. Williams isn't going to be able to step into the Manu role, whether a midfield of Ford/Farrell with Williams and at 12 and Slade at 13 could work I don't know.

At under 20 level he combined very well with Marchant at 13. That was a midfield combination with a very nice balance to it.

Johnny Williams chose England over Wales at under 20s level so I don't think it would be a foregone conclusion that Wales will tempt him across.

So did Morriarty....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:19 am

Tomkins came through into the saracens team as a 13 more. It's only relatively recently hes played there as a 12 isnt it?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:35 am

Fair point on Moriarty GF though his dad was a Welsh international and he spent a lot of time there. I thought Williams was English born and spent most of his life down in Reading hence ending up in the Irish academy. I could be wrong. Who knew Tompkins was proud of his Welsh ancestry until he changed allegiance?

7&1/2 he could well have done. He's certainly not alien to the position and did a good job for Wales. 13 is a very difficult position to defend and one where's it easy to suddenly find yourself in no man's land. He's played predominantly as Barritt's back up at Sarries and has long looked his natural successor there. Maybe if he heads to Wales he'll get more game time at 13 look more natural defending there. I'd JD2 is fit for the next batch of internationals I could see him moving in to the 12 shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:46 am

His name is John Bleddyn Rhys Williams...he can only play for Wales... Laugh Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:48 am

I can see him in either. It's a challenging thing to step into any new team let alone at international level. Still so annoyed we didn't cap him but then no one really knew until too late even if we did want to scupper it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:51 am

The only black mark against him, is his injury issues.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 Apr 2020, 6:13 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:His name is John Bleddyn Rhys Williams...he can only play for Wales... Laugh Laugh

Hmm there might be just a bit of Welsh ancestry in there...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 24 Apr 2020, 7:20 pm

Did Johnny’s father play for Wales or in Wales? It doesn’t seem like John has ever lived in Wales. 

I didn’t know anything about Sione joining Scarlets from Tigers. That’s quite a statement of intent from Delaney. They were vastly overpowered by Toulon at Parc-y-Scarlets. I wonder if they expect to lose Blade Thomson who’s a hell of a player btw. I don’t think Cassiem is going anywhere as he seems to fit into the style of play and local town very well, even if he is a bit small for SA no.8. I think Kruger at TH is 35 now, but with the lack of rugby this year they’ll probably keep him on. 

Scarlets and Ospreys should each have a tasty squad next season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:31 pm

Kalamafoni is the type of player who will go for the full 80 minutes. He makes some big hits in defence but his carrying isn't particularly explosive though he will smash into heavy traffic every other phase. At 32 by the time next season kicks off I think Tigers wanted to go younger and more dynamic. I had previously thought a move to the second row might be good for him, at 19 stone and 6 foot 5 he's got the size and his lack of explosive carrying wouldn't matter.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:55 pm

He probably has a good 2 years left in him at least. He could probably keep going until 35 should he not get another head injury. 

In other news Sale and Janse van Rensburg are in a bit of trouble.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 25 Apr 2020, 9:07 am

Honestly i'm not Kalamafoni's biggest fan.
He does tackle for days.
But if you play him we need to really have another backrower be the main ball runner for him to be more effective.

He's like the definition of steady.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:58 am

Welly wrote: Honestly i'm not Kalamafoni's biggest fan.
He does tackle for days.
But if you play him we need to really have another backrower be the main ball runner for him to be more effective.

He's like the definition of steady.

He's the consistent 7/10 every week guy. For someone who's 19 stone he doesn't make the impact he should ball in hand and Tigers do need to spend the money on someone who will.

It's why I think a move to the row would be good for him. Particularly in a mobile team like the Scarlets.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:42 pm

Scarlets have other personnel who could probably help Kalamafoni with the hard stuff. Their islander locks are good players, Ball is a big carrier, Shingler is good is running around and hitting people as well as be a good link man, Rob Evans and Wyn Jones at LH and then Ken Owens are good all-rounders. I think Scarlets just want to add weight to the pack. 

Going by Dan Jones’ recent form it’s probably Patchell who’s now their most important player. Hopefully Costelow can follow through.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm

Costelow will overtake Patchell, how quickly I'm not sure but probably by the end of next season (should it be played in the normal time frame).

Kalamafoni will also be available when a lot of those Scarlets players might not be. Probably why Scarlets are keen to bring him on board, a tireless work horse during the 6N period is not to be sniffed at.

Sounds like Guy Thompson has signed for Ealing for next season.

Bath are rumoured to be trying to bring Toomua to the Rec on a short term deal as the ARU are trying to cut some costs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 26 Apr 2020, 2:41 pm

Bold statement, Patchell is pretty good but has had a few injury setbacks. He attacks and defends very well from 10 and 15. It would be interesting to see if he can also slot into 12.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Apr 2020, 3:55 pm

I like Patchell as a player actually. I used to go to a lot of A league games a few years back and I watched Ford come through. At 16/17 he just used to have time on the ball or appeared to because of his good decision making at speed, Costelow reminds me of that (though I have seen a lot less of Costelow). That Costelow try saving tackle Vs Cardiff was pretty special as well, you don't see many flyhalfs get across to make those.

I can see Patchell stepping into 12, especially if Scarlets struggle to bring in a centre of sufficient calibre, losing Baldwin to Chiefs is a bit of a blow by all accounts. Patchell should be big enough to slot in there and the dual playmaker set up would be good in releasing the Scarlets all star back three.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 26 Apr 2020, 6:28 pm

Costelow can cover 12 better than Patchell. He's a wee lad for modern rugby but solid in defence.

Matt Scott being touted for a move back to the Premiership. He'd start for Tigers alongside Manu but we've got wages tied up in centres who haven't been playing/performing much.

Gloucester will presumably need a centre with the Rohan Janse van Rensburg nonsense that went on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Apr 2020, 8:47 pm

I think Costelow at 12 would be a waste. There's a little of the Giteau about him but not enough, I know he's played 12 at academy level and he hits about his weight but you want someone like him on the ball pulling strings.

I can't see Tigers spending on a centre when we are in more need of a lock, a backrow and a winger (or possibly 2). Can't see Glaws returning for him either. Glaws have got Twelvetrees, Harris, Atkinson and Trinder. That's plenty of cover. Bad time to be out of contract, a lot of clubs will be cutting their budgets he might not get the deal he would have been offered a few months ago.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:24 am

Just adding to the puzzle of the RFU reducing the funding to the champsionship...

Two players are confimed signed

Scrum half Tom James from Doncaster to Saints
Centre Peter Lucock from Doncaster to Falcons.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 Apr 2020, 10:05 am

I fully expect most Championship teams to be picked apart over the next few months. Nottingham have announced they are going part time. A few others will follow. Any player that might be good enough for the Prem will now be available at a price not to dissimilar from that of the average senior academy player.

Certainly from Nottingham there will be several players Spittle to Tigers seems likely (cheap flyer who scores tries), Heffernan the former Leinster prop is allegedly going back to Connacht. Then there's flyhalf Lewis is off to Rouen, add in scrum half McConnel, lock Chessum (Tigers) and Holmes as well as backrow Seb Cecil (Watstonians sp?). It's a solid mid table team being taken apart. Jersey, Pirates and Donny all easy targets as well you'd have thought. The Coventry backrow might be of interest to some. Ealing are the only ones likely to be fine as they have a backer who will finance them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:17 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52479886

Matt Scott signs for Leicester. A very good player when fit but probably worth more than Edinburgh were willing to pay for him in the current climate.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:33 pm

BigGee wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52479886

Matt Scott signs for Leicester. A very good player when fit but probably worth more than Edinburgh were willing to pay for him in the current climate.

I rather hope we haven't spent much on him. We have four other centres that have been capped by their country plus acquired Ireland's under 20s outside centre for the development squad. 

Jonah Holmes also released from the final year of his contract.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:41 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
BigGee wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52479886

I rather hope we haven't spent much on him. We have four other centres that have been capped by their country plus acquired Ireland's under 20s outside centre for the development squad. 

Jonah Holmes also released from the final year of his contract.

I don't think you got him for nothing, he was keen to stay in Edinburgh by all accounts, but it does not sound like they could give him the sort of contract he was looking for and also have a couple of decent up and coming 12s.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 29 Apr 2020, 10:20 pm

I really rate Matt Scott. He will start alongside Manu on his current form and should complement Ford well.

It says a lot about Tigers centre options that we have signed another though. I was happy with Taute signing but had I known Eastmond had a long term contract I may have been more circumspect. Manu, Taute and Eastmond will be a fair bit of money tied up in guys who won't play a huge number of games of Tigers.

The midfield without Ford and Manu has been truly abject so I'm pleased with Scott joining. It will mean making cost effective signings in the back three to replace May and Holmes but the Wasps attack this season was good with economy wingers. Were Tigers to go into a season with Watson, Kibrige, Bassett and Odogwu as wing options the Offy would resemble Armageddon.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Apr 2020, 10:29 pm

A player of Scott's ability is never likely to be picked up for nothing. I just hope we didn't spend silky money and he's signed on squad money and not international money.

It's a rushed announcement presumably because Holmes future is being announced tomorrow. Why we've signed another centre when all of our senior centres are under contract for next season when our two first choice wingers and our most experienced winger are all leaving with only one replacement is coming in I don't know.

Scott does at least offer us more ball in hand threat at 12 and he should link very nicely between Ford and Manu.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 29 Apr 2020, 10:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:Wasps attack this season was good with economy wingers. Were Tigers to go into a season with Watson, Kibrige, Bassett and Odogwu as wing options the Offy would resemble Armageddon.

Economy in that they aren't internationals but three of the four are more than used to playing the league. Odogwu should be if he wasn't injured or falling out with his coaches. I suspect the offy will be akin to Armageddon anyway as we've lost our two highest scoring backs (in terms of tries) go in consecutive weeks. We really need at least one, probably two back three players to come in unless the new playmaker Zach Henry can play 15 as well as alleged (the club reckoned McPhillips was an option at 12 and 15...).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:07 pm

I'd love it if Tigers used Freddie Steward as first choice 15 with Veainu on the wing. I think Steward is physically ready for mens rugby and needs game time to improve.

A like for like replacement for Holmes will be needed. Lewington could fill that spot for instance. Or as an outside bet I reckon Christian Wade will return to rugby if he doesn't make an NFL roster this season. Unless he likes the states enough to look at MLR to stay there.

Then for squad depth a cost effective signing from the Championship. Jack Spittle and Ryan Hutler have comparable records to Jonah when he was with Leeds.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Apr 2020, 9:08 am

If Steward were to come in that would be a backline of;

9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Manu
14. TV
15. Steward

I like the look of that, 4 homegrown players combined with some very good outside talent. Issue there would be the lack of a secondary playmaker. Would mean coming away from our backs structure of recent times in a significant way. Not that, that's a bad thing.

9. Youngs, White, Simmons
10. Ford, Henry, Hardwick
11. Nadolo, Owolfela, Browning
12. Scott, Reid, Eastmond
13. Manu, Taute, Viljoen
14. ? , SAR, Gilliand
15. TV, Worth, Steward

Viljoen could drop into the back three I suppose. SAR if he can stay fit would be like a new signing. Definitely need at least one winger as I've included Browning and Gilliand who haven't played a senior game yet. Lewington would be ideal and would be another Tiger brought home plus he knows how to score tries. If not then I fully agree that we should raid the Championship there's some very affordable flyers who know how to score there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 30 Apr 2020, 10:22 am

Parkes and Williams looking likely to go to Japan. Good move for Parkes, not so good for Williams IMO - he could have earned more caps and potentially raised his stock. He could be aged 35 and probably still get a contract in Japan. No word on Rowlands moving around...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Apr 2020, 11:05 am

I think Matt Scott is a tremendous player. Great signing.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Apr 2020, 11:10 am

Tigers are starting to put a few things in to place with regards the squad. Be interesting to see what they start next season with - if we are out of this situation by then.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Tigers are starting to put a few things in to place with regards the squad.  Be interesting to see what they start next season with - if we are out of this situation by then.

Fingers crossed Geordie.

Match day squad is starting to come together for next season.

Genge, Youngs, Cole
Lavanini, ? (Wells or Green maybe but another lock is expected)
Liebenburg, Taufua, Brink
Youngs, Ford
Scott, Manu
Nadolo, TV, Steward

Bench: Kerr, Leatigaga, Heyes, Wells, Reffell, White, Henry, Owolfela.

Need another lock and winger but otherwise looking not bad. Be interesting to see if our Georgian hooker can push his way in as well.

Mikey, Williams does have a tendency to ensure he gets a good payday and you can't blame him. He's had no luck with injuries and rugby is a short career.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 30 Apr 2020, 1:01 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Tigers are starting to put a few things in to place with regards the squad.  Be interesting to see what they start next season with - if we are out of this situation by then.

Still need signings in the pack for my liking. At second row in particular. I rate Spencer but Tigers 'lineout locks' are a huge drop off in quality compared to most sides in the Premiership. Big improvement needed in an area where the Premiership is now very strong.

With a couple of cost effective back three signings I'll like where the backs are moving in terms of recruitment. The pack still needs a couple of key additions at lock and back row though. Re-signing or replacing Facundo Gigena is also important. He's become a very solid back up to Genge and a strong scrummager.

The key to our early season form will be how quickly Borthwick can get the lineout functioning. With a dominant scrum (one of the few things we have) a solid lineout would give us a very simple means of getting field position. I know it's boring but 'scrum penalty, kick to touch, set-up a maul' would look like poetry compared to much of our back play this season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Apr 2020, 1:11 pm

king_carlos wrote:The key to our early season form will be how quickly Borthwick can get the lineout functioning. With a dominant scrum (one of the few things we have) a solid lineout would give us a very simple means of getting field position. I know it's boring but 'scrum penalty, kick to touch, set-up a maul' would look like poetry compared to much of our back play this season.

Fixed it. Win penalty, kick to touch, maul is pretty much the Chiefs main game plan just put on repeat. They've won the Prem with it. It's a good platform to build off. The opposition are less likely to infringe if they think your rolling maul is going to cause lots of damage. I think some teams were too happy to infringe knowing we would stuff up a lot of our own lineouts.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 30 Apr 2020, 1:41 pm

Speaking of dominant scrum... I've seen Dan Cole dominate many a Welsh LH, it's one of the reasons I don't rate Wyn Jones as highly as some others do seeing as he's one of the victims. Cole along with Ford must be Tigers' most important player.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 30 Apr 2020, 2:10 pm

Freddie Burns off to France.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Apr 2020, 2:31 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Speaking of dominant scrum... I've seen Dan Cole dominate many a Welsh LH, it's one of the reasons I don't rate Wyn Jones as highly as some others do seeing as he's one of the victims. Cole along with Ford must be Tigers' most important player.

Hard to replace someone as reliably dominant as Colely but he's about to turn 33 so that's the problem on the horizon. He's never been the best ball in hand but his work in defence is still decent even if he isn't quite as quick to the breakdown as he used to be. The Cole and Genge prop combination does work very well, they absolutely demolished Marler and Sinckler earlier this season as a timely reminder that Cole could still cut it.

The club has managed to get a couple of good tightheads in so that Cole can be rotated a bit more now. Leatigaga the big Samoan can play both sides and is just mass and power. Young Joe Heyes is a big lad as well but one we are very hopeful for. He's has some very tentative links to Wales so no doubt the WRU will be after him but as him and his family are all local hopefully we'll keep him. Not many props break into the first team squad at 19 and start getting starts. Stankovitch the scrum coach and Cole are ideal mentors.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 30 Apr 2020, 3:44 pm

I assume once having eaten some Welsh lamb is sufficient heritage for Heyes to be wanted by the WRU?

He's a very good prospect, looks at home at Prem level already, at that age it's impressive

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 30 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

Yeah I think Dragons are still being strongly linked with Heyes. Pivac and the WRU promised caps, and also a street in Cardiff to be named after him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 30 Apr 2020, 6:03 pm

Heyes is contracted to Tigers for next season at least. I can't see him being tempted to Wales. He's got 40 Tigers appearances already as well so hardly like he isn't progressing. Props get good wages in the Premiership as well so I can't see the regions outbidding for him. Not to mention the potential for £25k an England appearance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Heyes and Ehren Painter push into England training squads during this World Cup cycle. Williams has never cemented a place. Whilst Stuart looks promising he didn't get many minutes to show it in the 6 Nations.

Joe Heyes, meanwhile, would not have been alone in shrugging off any possibility of wearing the shirt 40 times in a little over a season-and-a-half as a senior front-rower.

A variety of circumstances hand young players their break in the big time, often around the medical misfortune of others, but this group is making a pretty significant contribution. Most of them have deputised for international players, too, which carries an added personal pressure on their shoulders at times in the season when resources throughout the squad can be stretched.

Although a big guy for someone so young, Heyes would have been expected to mature gradually into his role as a tighthead, especially one who hardly even played rugby until his teens. But he has been an almost ever-present since the start of last season and doesn’t reach his 21st birthday until the start of the next one.

At that age legends like Darren Garforth, Martin Castrogiovanni and Julian White had not even joined the Tigers while Dan Cole had been earning his stripes through the experience of Championship level rugby at Bedford.

That's Heyes being talked up as part of Tigers future in an article on the club website posted today.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 30 Apr 2020, 6:34 pm

BamBam wrote:I assume once having eaten some Welsh lamb is sufficient heritage for Heyes to be wanted by the WRU?

He's a very good prospect, looks at home at Prem level already, at that age it's impressive

His dad was born in Swansea. His grandfather was Gordon Banks's understudy at Leicester City and got a contract at Swansea City. His dad was also a goalkeeper but played for Forest. It's noticeable that his dad whilst born in Wales didn't spend much of his life there and chose to represent England at age grade level. Don't think Heyes will have much Welsh feeling.

I think Tigers board would prefer to remove their finger nails with plyers than see such a gifted young tighthead and natural successor to Cole leave. They'd certainly be no chance of them granting an early release without a huge fee. Unlike a lot of going tightheads Heyes hasn't been all action first and then develop scrummaging his scrimmaging is strong and it seems the other aspects of his game are being worked on.

I'd also not be surprised to see England cap Heyes fairly soon just to ensure Wales don't try and tempt him away. Heyes, Painter and Street are three young tightheads coming through that I think will swiftly see off the likes of Williams and Stuart and start to pressure Sinckler.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 30 Apr 2020, 7:48 pm

I’m not sure Wales have a great need for him really. They have a few young tightheads as it is. I guess Ospreys could do with him, but don’t see it likely to happen.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2020, 4:43 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think Matt Scott is a tremendous player. Great signing.

He's been fantastic for Edinburgh this season....when he was fit. His story of the season (and the last few years) has generally been play a few games and make a big impact but then pick up an injury that would rule him out for a few weeks. He was definitely pushing for a 6N place with his form leading up to the tournament.

if he can keep fit he'll be a great player for Leicester to have. It is definitely a risk for them to sign him though. On the plus side his injury record over the last few years means he's not played loads of rugby so should be relatively fresh...!

A few years ago he was out long term with an injury and came back way too big - he was huge but could barely run. He admitted himself he just put on too much muscle while doing his rehab and couldn't get about the pitch. He last a lot of weight for this season and was far more mobile, and far more effective as a result.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 01 May 2020, 8:55 am

A centre who gets injured regularly will fit right in. When he's out we should hopefully have one of the other three fit senior centres to replace him and play alongside Manu. If not we've got two homegrown talents that can play 12 and a centre in the development squad.

The club have started a more in depth working relationship with Loughborough university so hopefully the sports science department there can help us out a bit and keep the players off the physio table.

Risca, Wales scrum didn't look up to much in the 6N, they'll need those tightheads to come through soon. Though John seems to be given a chance and he's a big unit at a prime age for a prop.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 01 May 2020, 9:33 am

A few people aren't overly impressed by Dillon Lewis, who started most of those games. I don't really recall many of the Six Nations games though. Seem to have blanked them, for some reason.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 01 May 2020, 11:07 am

Given Dillon Lewis’ performances at the World Cup and 6 Nations it’s amazing he was considered a starter. I’ve no idea why we didn’t give John the opportunity, and aside from TH our pack is fairly mobile, if that’s what the selectors were worried about.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 01 May 2020, 11:58 am

Heyes has no desire to play for Wales currently as things stand.

But wales have tried.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 01 May 2020, 1:08 pm

Mikey, I wonder if they've told him he'll get more game time should he return home. Dangle it as a carrot to help strengthen the regions.

Doesn't surprise me at all Welly. Unlike say Tompkins there's no family in Wales for him to look to, Joe Heyes's dad was born there purely because his grandfather played for Swansea. If there's no England interest in the next couple of years then he might change his mind.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next