The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6 Nations Thread

+35
SecretFly
nlpnlp
majesticimperialman
Taylorman
No 7&1/2
Eejit
George Carlin
alive555
lostinwales
sensisball
cakeordeath
R!skysports
reallybored
EST
Hazel Sapling
Heuer27
jimbopip
Gooseberry
Mad for Chelsea
TJ
king_carlos
Prothero
funnyExiledScot
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
LondonTiger
Tramptastic
tigertattie
NeilyBroon
bsando
RDW
BigGee
Highland Shaun
39 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Scotland 6 Nations Thread - Page 9 Empty Scotland 6 Nations Thread

Post by Highland Shaun Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the 6N fast approaching, I thought I'd be the first to start a thread for it, my team being Scotland because its my nationality lol.

First of all, we know that Danny Wilson won't be coaching as he's off to coach Glasgow plus there are rumours of Matt Taylor the assistant going with Rennie to Australia so that leaves a couple of vacancies available, hopefully after the 6N, the main head coach one will be available too, which I would suspect Richard Cockerill would be the outright fav for, but that's a topic for after the 6N.

So, who would you like to see be in our 6N squad, are there any new caps that are likely, are there any players possibly getting recalls or would we likely see any younger players get a shot.

This is the place to discuss so go ahead 😉.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6 Nations Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland 6 Nations Thread

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm

BigGee wrote:Thornton playing hooker in Super 6 this weekend, maybe they arr thinking of moving him somewhere else!

A loan out might not do him harm. Maybe back to Wasps? He just needs gametime, he showed a lot of promise early on it'd be a shame if he slipped the net.

EDIT: I completely misread this. Playing at Hooker?! We're not short of hookers! That'd be criminal if that's what they want to do! Our project players won't have us fully covered until 2023 and one of them (kebble) is always injured anyway!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:54 pm

It does seem a little odd, i thought GT would come into play next season after Keeble steps up to the Scotland team, which he certainly will.

We do seem well stocked at hooker, with a reasonable age profile as well, so hard to see the need.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Kebble will walk into the Scotland team. Our South African cohort could be embarrassingly large come next season, especially if old Josh Strauss enjoys a miraculous Indian summer. Kebble and Nel either side of the front row, Dell on the bench, Strauss and Du Preez in the back row. Van der Merwe on one wing, Kyle Steyn on the other, Van Der Walt coming on for Russell. Schoeman waiting in the wings.
The real losers here are New Zealanders just outside the All Blacks squad, watching South Africans coming over here and stealing their jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Am pretty confident Josh Strauss not coming back and Nelly probably not got to much mileage left in the tank.

We will still be open to any kilted kiwis who wsnt to chance their arm with us!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Dont forget the kilted kangaroos, theyre a rarity these days!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:33 pm

Think the Kilted Kangaroos became a protected species when Australians turned out to be dreadful at rugby. Seems rather an odd choice to pick players from a nation actually worse than us. The only thing is to hope they get so much worse that we start poaching their best players. Although I suspect the New Zealanders have a patent on players emerging from bankrupt, Pacific rugby unions.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:45 am

Folk still guaranteeing Kebble gets a Scotland call?

Kebble, or the ageing injured saffa as he’s more commonly called can’t string a run of games together to make Simon Taylor jealous.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 am

In any other positions a failure to string games together at a professional rugby side would warrant black mark against your name. Unfortunately at loosehead merely attending a professional game on Scotland warrants a call up.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:46 pm

Electric first half from Darcy - he's been lethal

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Spectacular solo try - that's 4 for him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:17 pm

He and Horne the competent probably the most on form players for Scotland right now
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Price has had a good first half - going to be a 50/50 call I reckon

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Sale have been rather toothless though

If young Horne comes on after the break he could really hurt an ever tiring sale Defence
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:58 am

Sounds like Johnson had a good game too. Putting him and jones in the frame for starting centre pairing?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:58 pm

I thought Jones was pretty mixed, he tried to force things a bit. His defence was pretty solid though. Hutchinson came on for Northampton and was pretty decent.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 am

Johnson has been pretty good the past few games and is not likely to want to give up his shirt.

One thing about Matt Scott is his age unfortunately and Toonie might be thinkjng about players who will see the next cycle through to the France WC.

That does not mean he will automatically jettison any 30 somethings in the squad but it might be a factor in a marginal call.

Having watched the Sarries game in Sunday afternoon, i would have to say Duncan Taylor played very well and definitely looks bsck to his old self.

Some very good centres are going to miss out on selection for us over the course of this tournament.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24 pm

BigGee wrote:Johnson has been pretty good the past few games and is not likely to want to give up his shirt.

One thing about Matt Scott is his age unfortunately and Toonie might be thinkjng about players who will see the next cycle through to the France WC.

That does not mean he will automatically jettison any 30 somethings in the squad  but it might be a factor in a marginal call.

Having watched the Sarries game in Sunday afternoon, i would have to say Duncan Taylor played very well and definitely looks bsck to his old self.

Some very good centres are going to miss out on selection for us over the course of this tournament.

Mind, ye olde space cadet isn’t in the Squad at this stage so doesn’t come into the picture.

There's 5 centres playing for 3 places (one sub spot)

Harris, Hutchinson, Jones, Scott, Johnson

Good luck choosing who Toonie will pick.

Harris would be the first for the chop in my opinion but he's the hardest working man in world rugby so Toonie is quite likely to stick with him.

Hutch is still "raw" apparently. He plays against folk like Tuilagi, Jamie Roberts, Owen Farrell, Brad Barritt, Johnathan Joseph, etc week in week out so stepping up into international honours shouldn’t really bother him.

Jones is the enigma of the pack. Is he back? Will Toonie pick him after not taking him to the world cup?

Scott is the returning prodigal son. A flat backline under Solly at Edinburgh, being out the picture at Glaws then getting injured again have really set him back, but he's a fully capable capped internationalist who appears to have found his mojo again

Johnson is starting to get some form back again but he’s still in danger of being a one season wonder. He didn’t do much at the WC, will Toonie stick with him?

If I were the coach (which I ain’t, and I don’t see how the guys do at training) I’d go with Scott and Jones to start with Hutch on the bench covering 12 and 13.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:33 pm

See that U18 Scotland cap Fraser Dingwall is in the England squad for the six nations?

Not seen a huge amount of him but considering he plays with Hutchinson at Northampton you'd have thought The Hutch would be whispering in his ear about playing for Scotland...

Wee bit of a shame but then we have centres aplenty

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Slightly controversial opinion but I reckon Scotland's centre depth is actually better than England's just now! Especially with Slade injured.

He might actually have a better chance getting capped with England just now...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm

Tramptastic wrote:See that U18 Scotland cap Fraser Dingwall is in the England squad for the six nations?

Not seen a huge amount of him but considering he plays with Hutchinson at Northampton you'd have thought The Hutch would be whispering in his ear about playing for Scotland...

Wee bit of a shame but then we have centres aplenty

I refer the right honourable gentleman (and any Glasgow fans that want to also) to my earlier post on how our academies will hopefully help retain talent.

It’s simple to see why players who want a profession in rugby will go down the England route, even when they are clearly designed for the Scottish set up. How can someone called Fraser Dingwall play for anyone other than Scotland???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:15 pm

I’m furious about this! He’s been scoring a lot of trys for Northampton and looked a sharp player. I just hope Scotland did all they could to try and keep him involved and he’s simply decided he’d rather represent England.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:17 pm

It doesn't say that he's accepted his place in the squad? Or it might be a Ben Vellacott situation and Jones is just taking him in for a closer look but also to wind up Townsend/Scotland for "poaching" some players (Hutchinson/Harris etc)

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm

He was born in Cambridge and also has England U20 caps. If Scotland has missed the boat on Dingwall it was a couple of years ago.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:25 pm

lostinwales wrote:He was born in Cambridge and also has England U20 caps. If Scotland has missed the boat on Dingwall it was a couple of years ago.

The SRU? Inept?! Outrageous accusations...

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 pm

lostinwales wrote:He was born in Cambridge and also has England U20 caps. If Scotland has missed the boat on Dingwall it was a couple of years ago.

It is not about missing the boat, it is about the player making the best decision he can for himself. Some of that is luck and fortune as well, if Slade was fit, he likely would not have been called into the squad and then might have considered a Scotland call up, if the chance ever came along. as it stands at the moment, we would have been unlikely to call on him as we have other (probably at this moment in time, better) options.

Very few players will refuse a call up if it comes along, they may never get another chance.

I am not sure he will get capped this time around in any case, but he is a good player and will likely take his chance if he gets it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 pm

My nephew played with him for Cambridgeshire U16s, though I think Dingwall had outgrown the County scene by U18s.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 pm

No qualms if he see’s himself as English, just thought he’d be a future one for Scotland. Sure he’ll do well at international level when his time comes.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:35 pm

BigGee wrote:

It is not about missing the boat, it is about the player making the best decision he can for himself. Some of that is luck and fortune as well, if Slade was fit, he likely would not have been called into the squad and then might have considered a Scotland call up, if the chance ever came along. as it stands at the moment, we would have been unlikely to call on him as we have other (probably at this moment in time, better) options.

Very few players will refuse a call up if it comes along, they may never get another chance.

I am not sure he will get capped this time around in any case, but he is a good player and will likely take his chance if he gets it.

I agree. For these very reasons I am loathe to complain if any of the players who qualify for multiple nations take advantage of that.

Also worth remembering he's not signed his career away until he's capped, so there is still time if he doesn't make it onto the pitch.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:35 pm

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/highlights-agenhome

I know it was against fairly pitiful opposition who didn't give a crap, but Darcy Graham's tries are well worth a watch. His 3rd in particular was pretty special.

He's bang on form just now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:45 pm

lostinwales wrote:
BigGee wrote:

I agree. For these very reasons I am loathe to complain if any of the players who qualify for multiple nations take advantage of that.

Also worth remembering he's not signed his career away until he's capped, so there is still time if he doesn't make it onto the pitch.

Indeed, Gary Graham changed his mind!

I suspect the bird has flown with this one though, but I do hope he does not become a one cap wonder. I am not sure if he is really established enough to be ready for international rugby yet and may well get bumped when others return. I am more than happy to be wrong on that one though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:46 pm

No issue with Dingwall choosing England (if he has), it's short career and this helps with his club chances. Plus if he was born in Cambridge there's a very real chance he regards himself as English anyway and would prefer to pull on the rose than the thistle...no accounting for taste.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:49 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:No issue with Dingwall choosing England (if he has), it's short career and this helps with his club chances.  Plus if he was born in Cambridge there's a very real chance he regards himself as English anyway and would prefer to pull on the rose than the thistle...no accounting for taste.

I am sure he has divided loyalties, his father is Scottish and clearly with a name like that, has not forgotten his roots. He has also played for Scottish age grades. He is also a professional player trying to establish himself and this is his chance. In his position, you cannot blame him for being pragmatic.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:14 pm

So the lesson here for the SRU is... make sure ex pros send their kid to Glenalmond or alike when they finish up their professional rugby careers and settle down in England.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:17 pm

BigGee wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:No issue with Dingwall choosing England (if he has), it's short career and this helps with his club chances.  Plus if he was born in Cambridge there's a very real chance he regards himself as English anyway and would prefer to pull on the rose than the thistle...no accounting for taste.

I am sure he has divided loyalties, his father is Scottish and clearly with a name like that, has not forgotten his roots. He has also played for Scottish age grades. He is also a professional player trying to establish himself and this is his chance. In his position, you cannot blame him for being pragmatic.

I don't think I was, I was suggesting his pragmatism was sensible and entirely understandable.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Sorry Spoons, i was not disagreeing with you, probably did not come over right.

I think we were both trying to say the same thing

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:02 pm

No worries, I thought maybe I wasn't clear in my post. But aye I think we're saying the same thing. Tough choice, but at the end of the day, it's a short career and he needs to maximise his earning opportunities while the sun shines, or at least not hinder his chances

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:29 pm

It's a shame if he's going with England. We do know, however, that Eddie Jones is a bit of a rogue when it comes to these things. Gary Graham was never going to be capped by England. I'm not sure he was on track for a cap for Scotland either. So this is not the end for Fraser Dingwall in a Scotland shirt necessarily.
If he does go on to be capped for England it isn't the end of the world. We have a fairly healthy crop of centres. Of our current crop Sam Johnson and Huw Jones are both 26, Rory Hutchinson is 23. Outside the squad, Stafford McDowall is 21 and Mark Bennett is 26. It isn't a position we're struggling for decent players in.

If anything I'd say it's a positive that players we're talking about are in a position to be selected for England. You'd never have said Hugo Southwell or Jim Hamilton were on the cusp of England call-ups. Even our current 'English' players would probably be around the England team on form; Ali Price, Sam Skinner, Huw Jones, Rory Hutchinson and Hamish Watson are all quality players and I'm not entirely convinced I'd swap any of them out for their counterparts in the English team.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 pm

RDW wrote:https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/highlights-agenhome

I know it was against fairly pitiful opposition who didn't give a crap, but Darcy Graham's tries are well worth a watch. His 3rd in particular was pretty special.

He's bursting with confidence. No brainer for the 6 Nations, even for Toonie.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:31 am

BigGee wrote:

i think hes taken hutchisons starting place and at 3 years younger that says something

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 am

alive555 wrote:
BigGee wrote:

i think hes taken hutchisons starting place and at 3 years younger that says something

I don't know if he's taken Hutchinsons spot, I think Chris Boyd has been rotating carefully and Dingwall has grabbed his chance. Hutchinson starts all their big games and it doesn't matter what shirt he wears (12/13) he'll play in both those positions over the course of a match.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 am

Tramptastic wrote:
alive555 wrote:
BigGee wrote:

I don't know if he's taken Hutchinsons spot, I think Chris Boyd has been rotating carefully and Dingwall has grabbed his chance. Hutchinson starts all their big games and it doesn't matter what shirt he wears (12/13) he'll play in both those positions over the course of a match.

I was about to say the same - it's just rotation. Hutch has played most premiership games this season whether 12 or 13.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:36 am

RDW wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:
alive555 wrote:
BigGee wrote:

I was about to say the same - it's just rotation. Hutch has played most premiership games this season whether 12 or 13.

he was benched in favour of dingwall for the crunch euro match last weekend so dingwall must be very good

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:37 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW wrote:https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/highlights-agenhome

He's bursting with confidence. No brainer for the 6 Nations, even for Toonie.

His body language says it all, he is loving his footy just now! Can't wait to see him lineup against Ireland. Seymour pipped Graham to the 14 jersey both Ireland games last year. It was around the time Seymours form had dropped considerably and he made that awful pass to Maitland that resulted in a try for Ireland early in the 6N last year.

I checked back on a full replay of the game and actually noticed Kearney puts in a high shoulder hit on Seymour in the early stages of the match!? https://youtu.be/7uY1ScwJqTk?t=672 That would be a yellow card now with the current rules!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Someone fancy doing a match thread? Only if it's a good one ....this is the 6N after all

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 pm

RDW wrote:Someone fancy doing a match thread? Only if it's a good one ....this is the 6N after all

rules me out

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Ha i did have you in mind with that comment!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm

RDW wrote:Ha i did have you in mind with that comment!

Seems fair.  It's good to have a 'thing' mine apparently is terrible match threads

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:54 pm

I had all morning off to make a fancy one instead of drivelling rubbish about last years games  Rolling Eyes  GC makes a decent match thread, could he step up to the plate?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 pm

GC isn't very regular these days alas. Too busy and important swimming in all his middle eastern lawyering money!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm

I'll make one

It'll be atrocious but it'll be done

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down