The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS)

+33
No name Bertie
doctor_grey
mountain man
guildfordbat
Lowlandbrit
alfie
king_carlos
DavidJo23
Derbymanc
Mind the windows Tino.
JuliusHMarx
RiscaGame
Luke
hampo17
mikey_dragon
Soul Requiem
Dolphin Ziggler
Samo
Atila
TheRealDeal
Mr Bounce
Trebs
lfc91
westisbest
hornbloweroafc
rIck_dAgless
profitius
gazzyD
SecretFly
lostinwales
Galted
superflyweight
Scott is Back
37 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS)

Post by Scott is Back Tue 06 Mar 2018, 1:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

superflyweight wrote:
Scott is Back wrote:"Thor - Ragnarok"

Tino memorial rating : 7.5874 - Not seen any of the previous Thor's, but this one looked all new and shiny, so thought i would give it a whirl.

GSoE: 8.6

HH Scale of Accurate Titling: 8/10 – Thor Ragnarok - Well the main man is ol' Thor, God of Thunder & all that jazz....so thats a good start. Ragnarok as a word features quite heavily, still no overly sure what it was, but it was mentioned a lot.

Michaels scale of tits OR war: Tits - one topless scene where God of Pecs shows off his rippling torso, and the Hulk gets his dimply arse-cheeks out. Not sure if i would class it as a war, but some fisty-cuffs ensued, and there was a winner, so i suppose it could be a war.... who knows, certainly not me!

Rowley Scale of Northern Thriftiness: 5/10 - The wife was sent to sainsburys for some steak, and returned with the film, so it didnt cost me anything, but the Scott household took a hit of £9.99.

TattieSconesRRN-Q: "Piss off Ghost" - Said in a South African/Australian Accent, i couldnt tell which (is this racist?)

If Barry Norman had done his reviews like this he wouldn't be dead now.  

Was he murdered due to his substandard movie reviewing technique?

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS)

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 30 Jun 2020, 4:54 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Just John wrote:Gemini Man

Jesus Christ, that was bad. 1/10.

Will Smith makes more terrible films than Nicholas Cage

You can probably count on one hand the decent films he's ever made; Men In Black, I Am Legend, Pursuit of Happyness, Enemy of the State and Independence Day. Even Ali was a load of tosh.

But some of them would score highly for accurate titling.  

Hammersmith prefers the other version of Ali with the great man played by Tom Hanks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS)

Post by Derbymanc Thu 02 Jul 2020, 10:20 am

VFR on Netflix, absolutely bonkers but in a good way and surprisingly has a really decent cast even if some are unrecognisable.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidJo23 Fri 05 Mar 2021, 8:48 am

I have recently watched Tom and Jerry with my son. I really liked it, despite many of my friends gave a lot of bad reviews. It is just a funny and positive movie... dont take it too serious sit in your chair and enjoy. I dont see what all the bad reviews are about. Music is a little odd yes. The bits with tom and jerry fighting is funny and the ways tom tries to catch him always back fires.

Last edited by DavidJo23 on Mon 15 Mar 2021, 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total

DavidJo23

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 05 Mar 2021, 2:06 pm

Kill the Irishman. Pretty good actually, would like to read into the true story behind it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 09 Mar 2021, 4:36 pm

Willys Wonderland.

A switch your brain off horror comedy, Nicholas Cage walks around brooding for 90 minutes without saying a word while fighting possessed animatronics.

In terms of title accuracy, the film takes place in Willys Wonderland so it definitely ticks that box.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 10 Mar 2021, 8:29 am

Big Stan - It's a Rob schnieder film, so pretty much what you expect

The Equalizer 2 - same stuff as the first one

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 10 Mar 2021, 11:20 pm

Recently, lockdown boredom too powerful to comprehend, I have got into watching films that are part of series, or at least have an overarching story running through different films. You know, Star Wars, the MCU etc.

I started with that latter example, Marvel's blockbusters over the last few years. I decided that the way to keep myself going through ups and downs of quality would be watching them chronologically and having a ratings system. It's a system I made with my own bad habits in mind, so there's a points for how well it kept my attention. I am an ADD kinda fella, and I know I struggle to watch films - I often save films and series because I don't trust I'll watch them properly (Atlanta has been top of that list for years.)

The best way to hate yourself even more doing something like this is to create a spreadsheet to use because there is nothing, NOTHING fun about spreadsheets. Categories were decided, films chosen, Disney + finally appreciated. It is worth knowing that I have seen some of these before and have strong opinions, mainly of hatred. I watched the Avengers films long ago, saw Endgame in the cinemas and laughed when the silly billy died, but wanted to see if greater context which change my opinion. And it really did. 

The Hulk film isn't included cos it's just not one of them. 

Categories were (scored out of 10):
Likeable Characters
Lack of Cheese (being cheesy is bad)
Humour
Attention Held
Music (Least important)
Story

RankFilmLikeable CharactersLack of CheeseHumourAttention HeldMusicStory           Total
1Black Panther87688744
1Avengers: Endgame76796944
3Avengers: Infinity War76696842
4Captain Marvel76677740
4Guardians of the Galaxy85678640
6Doctor Strange77684739
6Guardians of the Galaxy 284688539
8Spider-Man: Far From Home86765537
9Thor: Ragnarok83866536
9Ant-Man and the Wasp75764736
11Avengers65566533
12Captain America: The First Avenger63555731
12Spider-Man Homecoming65564531
14Captain America: Winter Soldier74553529
14Captain America: Civil War73654429
16Ant-Man73643427
17Iron Man 243453524
17Thor: The Dark World62462424
17Avengers: Age of Ultron62454324
20Thor62433523
20Iron Man 341455423
22Iron Man33233317

When I was doing it, I tried to write comments after each one. I never watched any of these films sober, and the ones with little review are the ones I wrote when I woke up. 

Black Panther
Just easily the best one so far. It's quite funny, they're all likeable, but without begging to be liked. The intensity is excellent, the story works every step of the way. My only quibble is the ending, which makes sense but what should the world look like going forward if they are changing everything? Michael B was a little bit too "cool" but the point was made well and he wasn't a villain, really. And it's kinda good he died, cos sometimes these films save too many people (Bucky).

Avengers: Endgame
It's very good, not so much as a standalone but because it finishes a huge, huge film arc. Iron-Man is detestable throughout and the film is again built around what the great Tony Stark might do. He gets to be the martyr, his death about 50x as big a deal as Black Widow. I hate him, I hope he never comes back. They didn't use the cast well enough, Guardians were a real afterthought, although Nebula carries a lot of the story. 

Avengers: Infinity War
It's a good story and a great setup for what's to come. Seeing this without knowing what happens would have been even better, although it's a little annoying watching them not destroy a stone they could easily destroy or use the time stone to stop him beforehand. In many ways, it's better than Endgame because it does all the hard work for it, but it doesn't have the same impact in the end and again has too much Iron-Man. God I hate that Kumquat. 

Captain Marvel
Brie Larson is a much better actor than most Marvel leads. The story was good, simple good-turns-bad stuff. Jude Law is a villain now, his charm has gone with age and now he's such a clear candidate for a cancelling. Slimy fella. Spaceships are better than flying suits. All the characters were interesting, the shapeshifters were cool and that was a nice turn. I like Nick Fury but it was stupid that no one gave a Poopie about his eye. 

Guardians of the Galaxy
Better ensemble than Avengers cos there's none to hate. I like all the actors, which helps a lot, but it's also more interesting and whilst some of the heart-tugging stuff is a bit much, it works. Knowing it does all lead to Super Thanos Time makes it better, the promise of the storyline, and worse because it makes some of the stuff a little meaningless. 

Doctor Strange
Surprisingly good. A lot of the others feel like the same film in different clothes, whereas this one felt more unique and gripped me because of it. It had a darkness that worked well.  

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Some parts of it were really bad, but the whole god thing was quite interesting, if really flawed. 

Spider-Man: Far From Home
The story is dumb, Spidey is again just a cuck for Iron-Man, but the cast is really good and the characters around him are great. Spidey is always a bit good, but he needs to stop whining about Iron-Man. They really have wasted their use of him, considering how Spider-Verse is a GOAT film. The end-credits scenes lifted this up a lot. 

Thor: Ragnarok
Funny, but cheesy as hell and the story is really weak. The cheesiness added to the humour, but it also affected how gripping the story was. It's a throwaway film, in a way. Idris is cool as Poopie. 

Ant-Man and The Wasp
These are kinda throwaway but fun, the daughter was exceptionally cute and Paul Rudd is just great to watch in anything. The end-credits scene was amazing, truly, and got me hyped for Avengers even though I've seen them. 

Avengers
It's quite a dull actual story and confrontation, diluted because there's so many people. But the mix of characters also builds anticipation. Shame Iron Man is the big hero, it ruins it because he's a Kumquat. 

Captain America The 1st Avenger
He's properly dull but it was nowhere near as cheesy as I thought it would be. I expected to hate this but it wasn't half bad. He looks properly weird all skinny and the "drama" around him saving those soldiers was annoying. Too much "damsel" stuff. 

Spider-Man Homecoming
I really like Spider-Man, so it sucks that he is such a cuck for Iron Man. They should have used Donald Glover more, less Tony Stark Poopie. The story is quite plain, but it's also great that the whole origin stuff was kinda skipped. It's a fine film, but utterly forgettable and just some Avengers prologue. 

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Falcon is cool as Poopie, Romanoff - they want you to see her butt. Where do that Kumquat's wings come from?

Captain America: Civil War
Expected this to be awful, and it kind of was, but it doesn't do a bad job of setting up why Winter Soldier ends up a good guy. Although it just isn't necessary, I don't think even Marvel fans care. It wins out because the cast is good - Spider-Man and Ant-Man are great, weak intro for Spidey though - but I'd like some Nick Fury. Iron Man is kind of the villain, his best casting yet, but is heavily involved throughout and always has to be the best. Why do they all end up in prison? That was far too easy. 

Ant-Man
Essentially a stupid movie, the cheesiness with his daughter is actually kinda acceptable cos she's cute and a good actor. Paul Rudd is obviously great, but the weird abilities he has even before the suit aren't explained. He's an incredible fighter too. For some reason, that stuff is more annoying than accepting the suit. How he saved himself was real obvious too. T.I was surprisingly good, but the other two sidekick guys were not funny and it didn't add the levity it hoped. 

Iron Man 2
God I hate Tony Stark. This one made sure people remembered he's a bit of a knob, but the stuff with the F1 was just thick. And I dont care about his dad. Also, he can just solve stuff immediately with his super brain but hes also thick as Poopie. I like Happy. 

Thor: The Dark World
Better than the first Thor. The professor understanding the realms converging is mental and stupid. No starting nonsense, you knew who they were and they didnt have to make Thor a Kumquat. The late twist was kinda obvious but good, the villains were a bit boring but fine. Idris Elba is great. Loki is the star again. Clever bit with the Captain America ghost trick thing. 

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Saved by an ensemble cast - cos otherwise it was Poopie. Frak Tony Stark. Ultron was cheesy as hell, just went evil and we had to accept another villain who thinks death to all means peace. Then that Vision thing - that was the biggest load of Poopie. If this hadn't been an Avengers film, and thus had some cast members I liked, this would have been close to the worst Marvel film. 

Thor
Should be interesting and the characters, the norse mythology etc make it intriguing. But the story was such a generic hero romp. Idris Elba's character was cool, but the sidenick gang of Thor's was horribly unfunny, the Dad stuff dull too. Thor becomes likeable in the films that follow but he's a git in this. 

Iron Man 3
The kid made that movie bearable, as well as less Tony is great, isn't he great until the end. The ending was ludicrous, the narration stuff made me feel sick. 

Iron Man 1
This will be the worst, i'm sure of it. All the worst of the Iron Man excesses. Classic "arabs are bad" story, he starts as this likeable guy, but he isnt. The movie tries to say he is whilst only showing that he is a massive Mr Winklechops. 

Conclusion
When I started these, I wondered whether watching them in order would build a, in basic terms, a bond. Anticipation and an understanding of the string(s) between them. And? It did, I am now a Marvel fan. After these, I watched WandaVision and think it may be the best standalone TV series I have ever watched. The films themselves are good to watch if you're a bit mindless like me. I could lose concentration and always work out what was going on as they're rarely complicated and often follow a similar pattern.

I could not, however, grow to like Iron Man. He is the least likeable protagonist I can think of. He's worse than Anakin Skywalker and you know Anakin is going to be all bad throat in the future. But whilst I never changed my mind on him, I did on other characters, especially Cap and Thor. It's just a shame their best character, Spidey, is so pathetic in these. The character works really well, but he is basically Iron Man's lesser son. 

None are as good as Into the Spider-Verse, a film that gets 10s in many categories and is one of my favourite ever films. However, I am now a proper little Marvel films nerd, desperate for the new series and new films of this phase and beyond. So I was very wrong when I hated Marvel fans. 

I am now attempting to do this with other film series. I did start with Fast and Furious, but they are such bad films that I couldn't handle it. The last few are ok, Hobbs and Shaw is the only one that is a good movie, but Dominic Toretto (or whatever his name is) is similar to Tony Stark in that I just always want him to die.

So I am moving onto the X-Men films. First Class was horrid. After these, I think the Daniel Craig Bond films.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 11 Mar 2021, 12:05 am

Brie Larson is a much better actor than nobody.

Fixed that one for you.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 11 Mar 2021, 8:17 am

Star Wars the Last Jedi or whatever it's called. I put this off and off and off so me and my lad could watch it together and it was just a pile of poopie in every sense of the word.

It's more or less a standalone film that wrecks the first 2 which might have had issues but were fun little films. I saw all the criticism over the emporer coming back but it just doesn't compare to actually seeing Poe saying 'somehow blah blah blah'

And why did she call herself a Skywalker if anything she should have said Empress or they should have done a HUUUUUGE twist and had her take down the emp and take his throne

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 11 Mar 2021, 9:17 am

I always feel that Thor Dark World needs extra marks for comprehensively destroying a site where I used to work, but outside of that it isn't great.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Mar 2021, 9:39 am

Barton Fink is a bloody good film.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:24 am

I think I saw that years ago good choice galted

Stay away from Never Back Down 2: The beatdown. Typical action flick fair with Michael Jai White and I know his films aren't the greatest but normally they're entertaining, this is just baaaaaaaaad, like really bad.

Oh if you wanna watch a really good bad film, watch the Mangler, don't care what anyone says that is an amazing film.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:36 am

Derbymanc wrote:I think I saw that years ago good choice galted

Stay away from Never Back Down 2: The beatdown. Typical action flick fair with Michael Jai White and I know his films aren't the greatest but normally they're entertaining, this is just baaaaaaaaad, like really bad.

Oh if you wanna watch a really good bad film, watch the Mangler, don't care what anyone says that is an amazing film.

Thanks for the advice, Derby, though the name alone suggests to avoid.

If you're a connoisseur of very sh*t films I'd suggest the following:
Troll 2
The Room
Beast of Yucca Flats
Night Train to Mundo Fine

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:43 am

Galted wrote:

Troll 2
The Room
Beast of Yucca Flats

Oh hi Mark!

The greatest bad film of all time.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 11 Mar 2021, 10:56 am

That is some serious level of work, Dolph. I salute you, flower.

I had avoided superhero films my entire life other than Superman 3 that I watched back in the late 80's but the last years worth of lockdown and being trapped in a house with far too many children forced me to change this.

I recently watched Guardians of the Galaxy and the the follow up. I also watched End Game and Infinity Wars. I can't say I followed them completely and there may have been periods I was asleep but overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how little I hated them. There were some genuinely funny moments. I like Chris Pratt's character and his interactions with the Racoon whose name escapes me. Some l*l out loud moments.

Not as comprehensive a review as yours but I don't think that is possible so why compete.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Mar 2021, 11:11 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Galted wrote:

Troll 2
The Room
Beast of Yucca Flats

Oh hi Mark!

The greatest bad film of all time.

Thank you honey. This is a beautiful party. You invited all my friends. Good thinking.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 11 Mar 2021, 11:25 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

Fixed that one for you.

The woman was in the film and she had agency  The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 1f62d  The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 1f62d  The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 1f62d

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 11 Mar 2021, 11:29 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:That is some serious level of work, Dolph. I salute you, flower.

I had avoided superhero films my entire life other than Superman 3 that I watched back in the late 80's but the last years worth of lockdown and being trapped in a house with far too many children forced me to change this.

I recently watched Guardians of the Galaxy and the the follow up. I also watched End Game and Infinity Wars. I can't say I followed them completely and there may have been periods I was asleep but overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how little I hated them. There were some genuinely funny moments. I like Chris Pratt's character and his interactions with the Racoon whose name escapes me. Some l*l out loud moments.

Not as comprehensive a review as yours but I don't think that is possible so why compete.

I’ve never been a fan, same reason I hate Doctor Who - the story is basically always the same. But the expanded universe makes it better, it’s why I’ve also watched every Star Wars film and each TV series too. Clone Wars and Rebels are brilliant shows if you ignore the guff and focus on the overarching story. The last few episodes of Clone Wars are basically a brilliant film. I just wish Disney had bought the rights to Lord of the Rings.

As for bad films, give Birdemic a try

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 11 Mar 2021, 12:09 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:That is some serious level of work, Dolph. I salute you, flower.

I’ve never been a fan, same reason I hate Doctor Who - the story is basically always the same. But the expanded universe makes it better, it’s why I’ve also watched every Star Wars film and each TV series too. Clone Wars and Rebels are brilliant shows if you ignore the guff and focus on the overarching story. The last few episodes of Clone Wars are basically a brilliant film. I just wish Disney had bought the rights to Lord of the Rings.

Please no. The Hobbit was f**ked up enough as it is. Could you imagine what Disney would do to the stories in the Silmarillion?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 11 Mar 2021, 12:19 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Fixed that one for you.

The woman was in the film and she had agency  The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 1f62d  The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 1f62d  The Last Film watched (CONTAINS A LOT OF SPOILERS) - Page 4 1f62d

Bloody libtard though, isn't she?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 11 Mar 2021, 12:53 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Please no. The Hobbit was f**ked up enough as it is. Could you imagine what Disney would do to the stories in the Silmarillion?

The Hobbit wasn’t bad for what you could make of it with 9 hours. It’s just not a book that makes a 9 hour amount of films.

But if you look at what Disney have done with their last two “spin-offs” (Mandalorian and WandaVision) then you can see they have the intent, resources and understand how to mix mainstream audience with deference (but not enslavement) to the lore/original text etc.

There is a depth to Tolkien’s world that would make it very easy to create a “universe.” And having read the Silmarillion, they’d have a hard job of making it more of an ache to follow or hold interest in.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 11 Mar 2021, 1:08 pm

Adapting any novel, particularly those as well known as the hobbit is very hard. All adaptations depend upon the quality of the writing and imagination around the interpretations.

They added in so much material to the hobbit which was just terrible that it took away from the stuff they got right. What's worse is the added material just seemed to come from a list of cliches that an accountant had come up with based on what they think audiences like.

I liked the LOTR movies because looks wise they got it right, mostly. The stupid unnecessary additions (for instance elves at helms deep) don't take away much from the look and feel, and only really annoy the true fanatics.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 11 Mar 2021, 1:18 pm

Yeah, I kinda think you have to ask the fanatics their opinion and then work out what works for the mainstream as fanatics don’t really know how to make an idea work.

Once I got over the Legolas stuff in the Hobbit, it’s fine. Tough book to make a film, the tone is quite different to Lord of the Rings and they couldn’t make it a whimsical folly for a few films and then get serious.

It’s the same with the Harry Potter films. They do weird things in those, but they’re their own medium.

Least Disney has so far shown that it can handle the task. There’s little reason to trust Amazon.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 11 Mar 2021, 1:23 pm

lostinwales wrote:

I liked the LOTR movies because looks wise they got it right, mostly. The stupid unnecessary additions (for instance elves at helms deep) don't take away much from the look and feel, and only really annoy the true fanatics.

When you take into consideration the numerous battles that were left out it was necessary to show it wasn't just men standing against Sauron and Saruman.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 11 Mar 2021, 2:59 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

When you take into consideration the numerous battles that were left out it was necessary to show it wasn't just men standing against Sauron and Saruman.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 11 Mar 2021, 3:02 pm

All this talk of LOTR reminds me of the NZ film Deadlands - because one of the main characters is the same guy who played most of the big masked baddies through LOTR (uruk hai - witch king, Sauron I think).

Deadlands is really good.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 25 Mar 2021, 11:19 pm

WONDER WOMAN 1984

It's boring and not that interesting in the 1st half, then just loses credibility towards the end of the film.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 26 Mar 2021, 9:38 am

Luke wrote:WONDER WOMAN 1984

It's boring and not that interesting in the 1st half, then just loses credibility towards the end of the film.

Gal Gadot though.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Soul Requiem likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 20 May 2021, 1:49 pm

Mortal Kombat - Basically an hour and a half teaser trailer for the sequel, and I thought it was brilliant.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 20 May 2021, 2:17 pm

rIck_dAgless wrote:Mortal Kombat - Basically an hour and a half teaser trailer for the sequel, and I thought it was brilliant.

Saw it on Tuesday, one of the better game adaptations if you switch off and enjoy it for what it is. Aside from the glaring spelling error it's very accurately titled.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 20 May 2021, 4:12 pm

Watched Baby Driver again at the weekend

It's just brilliant.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 16 Jun 2021, 9:42 am

The Father

Hopkins and Colman are predictably brilliant as the aforementioned father and daughter trying to deal as best they can with his crippling dementia. There are some very uncomfortable scenes to watch and overall it's deeply affecting, particularly for those I imagine who have witnessed the effects it has on not only the sufferers but also those close to them. There's the odd light hearted moment but they quickly make way for more emotional hammer blows.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 12 Sep 2021, 1:42 pm

Life Is Beautiful

Heart warming and gut wrenching. One of the greatest movies of all time in my humble opinion and one I frequently come back to when things are feeling tougher than usual. An absolute masterpiece from Roberto Benigni.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 22 Nov 2021, 3:40 pm

Ghostbusters Afterlife.

The last 10 minutes was ok, basically when Bill Murray turns up. Don't bother with the 2 hours before that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 25 Nov 2021, 10:20 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Ghostbusters Afterlife.

The last 10 minutes was ok, basically when Bill Murray turns up. Don't bother with the 2 hours before that.

What a grand post, it's about time we had a serious review on here.  I shall see if I can find the last 10 minutes on Youtube, even though Bill Murray annoys me.  He's not as big a c*nt as Will Ferrell, but he is a bit c*ntish nonetheless.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 25 Nov 2021, 10:23 am

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Ghostbusters Afterlife.

What a grand post, it's about time we had a serious review on here.  I shall see if I can find the last 10 minutes on Youtube, even though Bill Murray annoys me.  He's not as big a c*nt as Will Ferrell, but he is a bit c*ntish nonetheless.

I was going to say when Dan Aykroyd turns up but he has a brief scene earlier on in the film and that would have ruined my comprehensive film review so had to go with Bill Murray.

The film is sh*te either way.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 25 Nov 2021, 11:22 am

Dune.

I can imagine that the Star wars fan types will get bored because they have to think a bit and there is not an explosion every 5 seconds but the only criticism is the sound levels which vary so widely. Watched it twice - first time they had the sound down a bit which meant you couldn't hear the whispers. Second time (different venue) I heard everything but now my ears hurt (and I could do with never hearing that wailing thing they have on the soundtrack ever again)

Other than that it is a truly remarkable, epic and beautiful film, so good it even managed to make Jason Momoa look like a decent actor. I think I'd be pretty happy just watching the ornithopters for a couple of hours. They are the best looking SciFi vehicles I can think of.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 25 Nov 2021, 11:26 am

Dune is Star Wars for people who listen to Tool

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 25 Nov 2021, 11:40 am

At the risk of being labelled a Star Wars fan i'll have to go against the grain and say I thought Dune was dull and pointless. There's no doubting the visual majesty of the film but I didn't care about any of the characters and by the end I didn't wish to see what happens next; I got the sense you needed to read the books to have any attachment to Paul. Villeneuve is an astonishing film maker and Blade Runner 2049 is one of the finest films i've seen, surpassing the Ridley Scott original with something to spare, the aesthetic of that film was backed by actual storytelling, the sound mixing was also spot. Arrival i'd say is somewhere in between, not a particularly great story but again it looks the part.

I am unfortunately a huge fan of Tool, having tickets to see them twice in two days next year but I want more from the films I watch, that Dune is better than Rise of Skywalker is not a glowing endorsement.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 25 Nov 2021, 12:00 pm

Life would be boring if we agreed about everything and when it comes to films like this the experience is very subjective.

Dune was a significant book to me in my teenage years (although that was a long long time ago). 2nd viewing I went with my sons, one who had read the books and one who had not. We did have to explain a few things to the one who had not but both enjoyed it.

I do get what you are saying, and about 2049 too (which was, until Dune, the only film I have seen twice in the cinema). There is an underlying issue with the main character in Dune. He's very important but ultimately not actually a good guy. He sees his future and understands that it will lead to the death of billions of people. I like that side of it.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 25 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm

I did do a bit of background reading after watching to try and understand the characters a bit better, I found them to be sketches rather than finished painting so hopefully the second film resolves that. My biggest gripe was the lingering face shots scattered throughout the film.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 26 Nov 2021, 9:43 am

Got dragged out to the cinema again yesterday for 'Last Night in Soho'

We all had somewhat mixed reaction. The leads and the acting in general is brilliant. It does feel too long and dragged out, and some bits made me cringe, but some scenes are just amazing.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 27 Nov 2021, 12:09 pm

Having read and enjoyed all the Dune novels years ago , and been disappointed with the 1984 Lynch film and subsequent TV attempts , I am looking forward to see if they've managed to get it right this time.

Been hearing mostly good things so hopeful. Expecting mixed opinions of course so the fact that I'm seeing varying reactions on here is no surprise. Now if I can just get used to the idea of actually entering a theatre again...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 27 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

All you really need to know about Dune is that the title credits call it 'Dune part 1' and the last line is "this is only the beginning". If you know what's going on there are enough footholds to fill in the gaps of where they've cut stuff out to try to make it simpler for the people who don't. I think it probably would have worked better if they'd chosen to split it up a little differently, but it's hard to properly judge without seeing the next part.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 28 Nov 2021, 8:49 pm

lostinwales wrote:Got dragged out to the cinema again yesterday for 'Last Night in Soho'

We all had somewhat mixed reaction. The leads and the acting in general is brilliant. It does feel too long and dragged out, and some bits made me cringe, but some scenes are just amazing.

I saw Last Night in Soho at a late showing last night. I really enjoyed it. Then again I'm a sucker for Edgar Wright's work so wasn't that surprised that I liked it! I've loved his style of direction and especially use of music from Spaced onward. For my money one of the best directors about today.

It wasn't a perfect film. There were some unresolved plot points, two in particular that frustrated me, and some of the early dialogue when Eloise gets to college is quite cringey. I think that was the point to be honest, just to hammer home that stereotypical and self absorbed posh student to show how different they are from the protagonist. It didn't really need hammering home with a sledge hammer though which was how it felt.

Thomasin McKenzie was excellent once again. Anya Taylor-Joy gave off some great Audrey Hepburn vibes. Matt Smith played his role very well. Diana Rigg's final appearance was of course a good one  Sad . I also thought Michael Ajao brought a lot of natural affability to his character given it wasn't that fleshed out.

Overall a good but far from perfect film that I really enjoyed. I have a feeling it's one I'll enjoy equally if not more on second viewing as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 28 Nov 2021, 9:17 pm

king_carlos wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Got dragged out to the cinema again yesterday for 'Last Night in Soho'

I saw Last Night in Soho at a late showing last night. I really enjoyed it. Then again I'm a sucker for Edgar Wright's work so wasn't that surprised that I liked it! I've loved his style of direction and especially use of music from Spaced onward. For my money one of the best directors about today.

It wasn't a perfect film. There were some unresolved plot points, two in particular that frustrated me, and some of the early dialogue when Eloise gets to college is quite cringey. I think that was the point to be honest, just to hammer home that stereotypical and self absorbed posh student to show how different they are from the protagonist. It didn't really need hammering home with a sledge hammer though which was how it felt.

Thomasin McKenzie was excellent once again. Anya Taylor-Joy gave off some great Audrey Hepburn vibes. Matt Smith played his role very well. Diana Rigg's final appearance was of course a good one  Sad . I also thought Michael Ajao brought a lot of natural affability to his character given it wasn't that fleshed out.

Overall a good but far from perfect film that I really enjoyed. I have a feeling it's one I'll enjoy equally if not more on second viewing as well.

Agree on Edgar Wright. Its nice to see him stretch himself in a different direction. Although McKenzie was overall very good her accent was at times all over the place. Taylor-Joy is amazing. One thing I would say about the whole film. We found ourselves talking about it a lot since seeing it.

Also worthwhile mentioning the use of 60's icons. Terence Stamp and Diana Rigg obviously, but also Rita Tushingham,

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 29 Nov 2021, 11:14 am

It was a good rather than great film, there was something missing and I can't quite put my finger on what it was. Anya Taylor-Joy was amazing and she's so watchable in general; Queen's Gambit was brilliant and she made Split as good as it was, The Witch is another film she's good in but avoid New Mutants at all costs. Matt Smith continues to go against cast and it just works, it's taken him a while to shrug off Doctor Who; His House is worth watching, a slow burn but pays off at the end.

I quite liked the ending and the as previously noted Wright's use of music is second to none.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 30 Nov 2021, 6:24 pm

The Witch was a really good watch actually. I haven't seen that in years, might watch it again.

I'm always surprised that Ralph Ineson doesn't get more significant roles. He seems to pop up in tons of stuff but in smaller roles. I've always enjoyed his work ever since the Office where he succeeded in making Finchy just as despicable as he needed to be.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Nov 2021, 8:18 pm

lostinwales wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Agree on Edgar Wright. Its nice to see him stretch himself in a different direction. Although McKenzie was overall very good her accent was at times all over the place. Taylor-Joy is amazing. One thing I would say about the whole film. We found ourselves talking about it a lot since seeing it.

Also worthwhile mentioning the use of 60's icons. Terence Stamp and Diana Rigg obviously, but also Rita Tushingham,

All sounds interesting. Will certainly try to see Last Night in Soho soon.

If anyone here relishes depressing black and white drama, I would strongly recommend A Taste of Honey. Rita Tushingham was spellbindingly brilliant in it, her first film. She's never surpassed that performance although tbf it was unrealistic to think she might given it was such a unique and innovative role for the time. She has though continually worked in film, television and stage over the following six decades which must say something about the high regard she's held within the industry.

From a quick snoop on imdb, I've discovered that Last Night in Soho was the final film of the late Margaret Nolan. Not exactly a 60's icon but a statuesque one-time model of that era who appeared in Goldfinger and several of the Carry On films.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 Dec 2021, 11:07 am

Have had to sit through two collosal showers of sh*te in Cloud Atlas and Little Women (2019) over the last few nights.

The former is a self-indulgent crapfest by the Wachowski brothers/sisters/whatever the f*ck they are now - memorable only for Tom Hank's hilarious attempt at an Irish accent in the scene about the writer.  At first I was confused about whether he was trying to be an Aussie or a Cockney, until the awful truth dawned (confirmed in a later scene with the character's brothers who were quite clearly Irish).

Little Women is just a clumsy montage of wittering women (they all seemed normal height to me so don't know where the 'little' comes from).  There is one scene worth watching in which Saoirse Ronan and Emma Watson's characters have a heart to heart.  Emma Watson's acting skills don't really extend past the ability to play a wooden box, but pitted someone who can actually act was gloriously cringeworthy.  Her overly concerned/caring face becomes quite frightening after a while, the film could have been saved at the end (or, better still, at the beginning) if she'd gone on a Guildford/Lizzie Borden style rampage with an axe.

Galted
Galted
Galted

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next