The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

+16
TM2K
Plunky
BlueCoverman
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
JAS
robopz
pedro
I'm never wrong
Davie
GPB
Shotrock
McLaren
super_realist
beninho
kwinigolfer
20 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Well done to Tyrrell Hatton, great win at Bay Hill which continued the run of non-American winners - Day, Leishman, McIlroy, Molinari, Hatton.
This was also an Open Championship qualifier and Keith Mitchell (for the second year running), Danny Lee and Dahmen get to battle the traffic at Royal St.George's in July.

2).For the second week running, the course set-up seemed to make scoring unnecessarily tricky given the prevailing weather conditions. A war of attrition, but not necessarily the most attractive golf for the TV viewer to enjoy.
Hopefully the set-up at TPC Sawgrass will enable the world's best to play their shots.

3).Scott Piercy made news for all the wrong reasons last week and now Tour Commish Monahan has expressed disappointment "in the lack of judgment used" and "that it has been addressed with Scott directly". Good thing Monahan didn't say "he knows better" because Piercy clearly doesn't. But his sponsors do, thankfully, tho' any Tour punishment will be kept unpublished - unless he starts missing tournaments, from which we might draw our own conclusions.
Personally, I'd like to have seen his "invitation" to Bay Hill revoked, but no such disapproval reported from the API.

4).Interesting graph from princedrac's twitter account this week showing the top ten owgr points-getters at The Players:
Four Americans: Woods, DLIII, Furyk, Couples
Three Aussies: Elk, Scott, Shark
Nick Price
Sergio & Langer
A good week, of which there haven't been many recently, will see Garcia can jump from 2nd to 1st, ahead of Tiger.

5).That's reflective of an international honours board with eight of the last twelve winners being "overseas" players.
And first-timers at TPC have a tough time too - after Jerry Pate won on the course's debut in 1982, only Hal Sutton and Craig Perks have won trophy on their first trip. Leading "rookie" last year was Eddie Pepperell who stormed home in 3rd place - but he's busy trying to figure out how you get dq'd three times in less than 2 years.

6).This week looks like the exact halfway point of the pre-Play-Off PGA Tour season, the 23rd event out of a total of 46. About 50 pros have already won enough FedEx Points to assure them a tee-time at the Northern Trust, Round 1 of the FedEx Cup Play-Offs.
Not many are Europeans: McIlroy, Hatton, Rahm, Hovland.

7).And only Fleetwood among other Europeans is comfortably placed, for now.
Those who have struggled this season so far, but are exempt at least through next year, include McDowell (79th), Casey (93rd), Lowry (140th), Molinari (168th), Donald (assuming he takes another earnings exemption - 172nd), Garcia (179th), Willett (181st), Stenson (197th), Wallace (202nd), Rose (205th),
While this lot, all not yet exempt for 2020/21 have it all to do: Straka (82nd), Norlander (84th), Knox (90th), Fitzpatrick (100th), Noren (107th), Rafa C-B (120th), Poulter (128th), Cappelen (130th), Laird (158th), Ventura (175th), Power (201st), Bjerregard (224th), Lewis (227th), plus 3 or 4 others on more tenuous status.

8).But one or two American "faces" are also struggling, with these three less than half-way to a Play-Off goal about 400 pts:
110th: Spieth
111th: D.Johnson
213th: Koepka

9).The Florida "Swing" has a musical chairs of dates next year, starting with Bay Hill, then The Players, followed by "Honda". No word yet on how Valspar fits in, but hopefully retains its fourth slot in Florida.

10).Finally, the Top 64 in the owgr's after The Players will qualify for the WGC-MatchPlay in Austin in a fortnight's time.

Any Valspar Notes will be added here next week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 09 May 2020, 2:05 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:What does smell think about that!!!!
Of course, anyone calling Jack a turd would be banned for life . . . . . . .
He's apologised on Twitter......

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 May 2020, 3:51 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:What does smell think about that!!!!
Of course, anyone calling Jack a turd would be banned for life . . . . . . .
He's apologised on Twitter......

Pretty much confirming that he's the turd!

I see Maridoe The Sequel is due to get underway in ten days' time. Looks like Abraham Ancer will be the highest-ranked player in the field. Spieth also in attendance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 09 May 2020, 5:06 pm

Watching the euro tour trackman clips on twitter. Martin Kaymer, is he the most under the radar player with the best record? Easy to forget the 2 majors and players wins seems a top guy aswell.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 09 May 2020, 8:28 pm

The Memorial Tournament which was moved to July is currently scheduled to be the 6th event of the PGA Tour restart and 2nd event with spectators. Not sure the event even without spectators is a sure thing, but this article goes into some of the extraordinary steps they are considering to allow fans... Most notably, face masks for everyone, reduced ticket sales, no grandstands, and RFID tracking chips in every badge so they can monitor where fans are congregating.... 

https://golf.com/news/memorial-tournament-safety-protocols-no-grandstands/

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 May 2020, 10:11 pm

Thinking about Muirfield Village robo, I don't think it has as many opportunities for close quarters congestion as some others.
Though imagine the walkways from the 9th to the 10th will be a no-go zone, and can't see them letting too many congregate around the 11th green, 12th, 13th tee.
Probably a good course to experiment with spacing out spectators. They'll have fun busing them in though. Perhaps that'll be dispensed with.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 May 2020, 10:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Thinking about Muirfield Village robo, I don't think it has as many opportunities for close quarters congestion as some others.
Though imagine the walkways from the 9th to the 10th will be a no-go zone, and can't see them letting too many congregate around the 11th green, 12th, 13th tee.
Probably a good course to experiment with spacing out spectators. They'll have fun busing them in though. Perhaps that'll be dispensed with.

Hopefully Bud Cauley's buddy won't be a bus driver.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/31/sports/memorial-tournament-bud-cauley-makes-a-stunning-comeback-1-year-after-an-alarming-car-crash.html

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 May 2020, 10:20 pm

edit: double post

Last edited by GPB on Sun 10 May 2020, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 09 May 2020, 10:40 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Thinking about Muirfield Village robo, I don't think it has as many opportunities for close quarters congestion as some others.
I think the plan is to test buckeye milkshakes as a drinkable vaccine... Even if it doesn't work, it's definitely worth a try... :-)

But as I think my way around Muirfield Village... I'm not sure I see it as any more or less congested as anywhere else, except maybe Travelers...  But without the grandstands, except for around 18 I think just about any course can be fairly well spread out once people get there.  But as you pointed out, it's the transportation getting there.  Not many venues with sufficient on-site parking, so the shuttles are an issue.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 May 2020, 8:39 pm

Steve Stricker has added Zach Johnson & Davis Love to his roster of Ryder Cup Vice Captains after having announced Jim Furyk earlier.

Harrington has Karlsson & Donald so far.

Rather optimistically the Golf Channel has suggested having Furyk & Love "maintains the desired continuity between each (US) team", possibly emulating the European model.
Someone needs to tell his that Europe apprentices senior pros who might be captaincy material in the future, not over 50's whose Captaincy days are behind them - although Zach is a good choice. Difficult to see him as a future skipper though with Mickelson and Woods presumably thinking they will be certainties.

Let's just hope they play it, that's the most important thing.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 11 May 2020, 10:06 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Let's just hope they play it, that's the most important thing.

That is the most important thing?

as much as I would like to see it played, I can think of a lot more important things than to play an exhibition.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 May 2020, 10:40 pm

Very pedantic GPB.
Wish I'd said the most important golfing thing was for Europe to win. Couldn't care less what you call it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 May 2020, 1:57 pm

Some pro golf slowly stepping up the pace in the US with Dallas's Maridoe sequel and the Scottsdale Open outside Phoenix, both unofficial events, getting underway with 54-hole tournaments.

Scheffler, Hovland and Spieth are at Maridoe, while Calum Hill and the ubiquitous Cejka joining guys like Dahmen and Streelman in Scottsdale.

Curiously in this context, COVID-19 is slamming Dallas County and the Phoenix area at the moment so hope all involved are keeping safe.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 12 May 2020, 2:58 pm

17 years ago, two different golfers, who share the same exact birthday  (Month, Day, and year) won back to back majors.

Happy 50th Birthday, Mike Weir and Jim Furyk

Pssst

Its a secret!:

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 May 2020, 3:04 pm

Happy Birthday robo!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 12 May 2020, 3:09 pm

Not sure if we're having a real increase in Texas or if our more widespread testing is just revealing more.  But one thing seems inevitable, with the loosening of restrictions down here, we're destined to see more real cases... {{{sigh}}}   The solutions are above my pay grade... 

Looking forward to seeing Seminole this weekend...

PS.... Yay, another birthday. Certainly better than the alternative. I'm expecting an orgy of new golf books to arrive off my Amazon wish list today !!!   So all's well...✓✓✓

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 May 2020, 3:35 pm

More widespread testing in Texas (and Arizona) might be a good part of the reason, think these States and Florida are among those with the least testing (per capita) so far. I'm sure it suits some agendas but public health ain't one of them!

Don't think I've ever seen Seminole on TV, except perhaps in grainy, early colour Shell's WWOG film.

Assuming those Amazon golf books are from GPB? Stay safe down there robo,

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 12 May 2020, 4:39 pm

I've played Seminole once and Jack Welch (of GE fame) was in the group behind us. The minute we walked off the green, incoming balls! He was a fine golfer. That part of Florida, as most of you know, is pretty flat. That said, I do hope they have some nice ground level cameras to show the slight elevation gains/losses which add immensely to the course. Never went into the clubhouse. We had drinks and lunch in the locker room. A special place to be sure.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 May 2020, 4:42 pm

Sr,
Good stuff about Seminole.
Are you quarantining at McCauley?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 12 May 2020, 4:44 pm

Still snowpiles at the top of that Mt.! Heading to play 9 at the Sadaquada end of day. UC will be brought to the fire pit after play. May need a hot toddy instead.

HBD Robo!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 12 May 2020, 4:48 pm

Shotrock wrote:I've played Seminole once and Jack Welch (of GE fame) was in the group behind us. The minute we walked off the green, incoming balls! He was a fine golfer. That part of Florida, as most of you know, is pretty flat. That said, I do hope they have some nice ground level cameras to show the slight elevation gains/losses which add immensely to the course. Never went into the clubhouse. We had drinks and lunch in the locker room. A special place to be sure.
Lucky you... I got as far as the clubhouse at Seminole but never got out on the course.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 12 May 2020, 6:56 pm

Ran across this article on Bert Yancey, golfer from the Nicklaus generation.

My perception of him that he was pretty much of an arse.

I didn't realize that he had fought internal demons. The article below was enlightening.

Won 7 PGATournaments. Placed in the top 4 at the Masters in three straight year. Not sure if too many players can make that claim. (Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, M ickelson Woods are some notables, could be more).

He never won a Green Jacket but was carried off in a strait-jacket.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1978/03/24/yancey-fall-into-darkness/9c65f51d-509c-4d89-ad8b-34f182456650/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 12 May 2020, 7:12 pm

Scottsdale Open live on Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/mondayqinfo

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 May 2020, 7:28 pm

That's a terrific article, GPB.
He had a fatal heart attack on the driving range of a Champions Tour stop whilst still in his 50's. But hadn't realised how close he was to those Majors.
He and Tony Jacklin were very good friends, I think. (Sometimes think Jacklin is better appreciated in the US than in GB - fantastic Ryder Cup captain; the PGA should have invited him to their task force.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 12 May 2020, 7:51 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
He and Tony Jacklin were very good friends, I think.

Maybe that is why I thought he was an arse! Very Happy

Robo tells me that tournament Yancey thought had mafia connections was in Downstate Illinois. Not only is it fairly close to me (kind of sorta), my father probably did investigation on some of those mobsters back in the 1950's (before I was born). My father was an FBI agent and his home office in the 1950's was Springfield IL.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 12 May 2020, 8:52 pm

No wonder he laid low in Franklin Cty . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 12 May 2020, 9:18 pm

Actually he was quite active after he retired. He ran for state representative in the 1970's (after he retired). He lost. Owned a farm on 'busy' road (to Jay Peak) raising beef cattle through the 1980's.

"Busy" for rural Franklin County.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 13 May 2020, 2:29 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:That's a terrific article, GPB.
He had a fatal heart attack on the driving range of a Champions Tour stop whilst still in his 50's. But hadn't realised how close he was to those Majors.
He and Tony Jacklin were very good friends, I think. (Sometimes think Jacklin is better appreciated in the US than in GB - fantastic Ryder Cup captain; the PGA should have invited him to their task force.)
Tony Jacklin usually plays in that Super Senior thing here in The Woodlands on the Champion Tour. Despite his increased age and girth, the man still has game (where most of them didn't). This from last May...PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Img_2013
PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Img_2012

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 May 2020, 3:20 pm

Where are the photography credits there, robo?

thumbsup clap

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 13 May 2020, 10:48 pm

Euro golfers complaining about the hoops they got to go through to get back to PGATour.

Gee, Tommy and Frankie, you have to quarantine 14 days in order to play for millions and millions of dollars? and another 14 days on your return. ah too bad. you have to make some sacrifices during this time. Entitled brats IMO. and another 14 days to return?

IMO, a player has got to do, what they have to do.

anyone going to blame the big bad PGATour?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/13/british-based-players-and-caddies-facing-quarantine-in-uk-and-us-golf

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 May 2020, 11:35 pm

GPB wrote:Euro golfers complaining about the hoops they got to go through to get back to PGATour.

Gee, Tommy and Frankie, you have to quarantine 14 days in order to play for millions and millions of dollars?  and another 14 days on your return.  ah too bad.  you have to make some sacrifices during this time.  Entitled brats IMO.  and another 14 days to return?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/13/british-based-players-and-caddies-facing-quarantine-in-uk-and-us-golf

What the players do is up to them, agree with that.
But your rant about "entitled brats" is a bit rich considering the historic lack of travel by American golfers - just think, if the Wisconsin exhibition was held in Europe, there'd probably have to be a no mas European walkover.

Let's hope you're wumming . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 May 2020, 12:05 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
What the players do is up to them, agree with that.
But your rant about "entitled brats" is a bit rich considering the historic lack of travel by American golfers - just think, if the Wisconsin exhibition was held in Europe, there'd probably have to be a no mas European walkover.

Let's hope you're wumming . . . . . .

What does the "historic lack of travel by American Golfers" have to do with anything?

What American player (historically) ever complained that he "couldn't" travel internationally. Sure a lot of them didn't want to, but I don't think they whined about it.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 May 2020, 12:48 am

Nope,
They just fitted a stereotype . . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 May 2020, 2:58 am

GPB wrote:Euro golfers complaining about the hoops they got to go through to get back to PGATour.

Gee, Tommy and Frankie, you have to quarantine 14 days in order to play for millions and millions of dollars?  and another 14 days on your return.  ah too bad.  you have to make some sacrifices during this time.  Entitled brats IMO.  and another 14 days to return?

I don't consider it whining at all.  it's going to be really tough on some of the international players having 2 week quarantines on both sides of any trip they make to America.  

The way the new schedule lays out, if there is going to be a two-week quarantine on either side... for a playoff and RC qualified European... its basically a 20 week commitment away from home to play Colonial through the RC.  To hold off and not come in until the WGC and PGA reduces it to 13 weeks...  Just the removal of either the front end or back end two week quarantine, gives them a chance to take a break somewhere in between.

PS... I would also note that if there is still a 2-week quarantine to get into the US from foreign countries thru November... that means nobody is going to be able to play both the WGC-HSBC and the Masters (as currently scheduled). it also means that no Euro player would be able to play both of BMW PGA and the US open. (Again as currently scheduled)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 May 2020, 6:43 am

Who's Gee?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 May 2020, 11:20 am

I hadn't seen an official report but it seems that caddies are back for Fort Worth - bunker raking as well?
(Tiger must have had a word.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 May 2020, 12:22 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I hadn't seen an official report but it seems that caddies are back for Fort Worth - bunker raking as well?
Yeah... I think it's pretty clear they intend to conduct the competition part of it pretty much the same as they always have on tour. Caddies are integral in that.  I still think a designated walker with a rake would make sense though. But I understand why a player would want only his own caddie to tend the pin.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 May 2020, 12:55 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:I hadn't seen an official report but it seems that caddies are back for Fort Worth - bunker raking as well?
Yeah... I think it's pretty clear they intend to conduct the competition part of it pretty much the same as they always have on tour. Caddies are integral in that.  I still think a designated walker with a rake would make sense though. But I understand why a player would want only his own caddie to tend the pin.

Tks robo, So does that mean that Adam Hadwin, and presumably a few others, are allowed to putt with the flag out?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 May 2020, 1:34 pm

Question for our USA residents.

Is basketball as exciting as The Last Dance makes it look?

I get this is partly a Jordan fluff piece but it does make basketball look really fun to watch. The skills, the atmosphere in the stadium, the personalities, close games, the hype etc. To play basketball is dire but maybe watching those that are really good at it is worth it? Much like an 18 handicapper isn't doing golf justice but watching Tiger or Rory can be exhilarating.

Anyway, have I been missing out by disming basketball all this time?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 May 2020, 1:37 pm

McLaren wrote:Question for our USA residents.

I get this is partly a Jordan fluff piece but it does make basketball look really fun to watch. The skills, the atmosphere in the stadium, the personalities, close games, the hype etc. To play basketball is dire but maybe watching those that are really good at it is worth it? Much like an 18 handicapper isn't doing golf justice but watching Tiger or Rory can be exhilarating.

Don't think so Mac, American sports are pretty boring. I've been to baseball and American football and both are insufferably dull.  Basketball is certainly fun to play, but watching it would be like watching a 60 minute penalty shootout.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 14 May 2020, 2:31 pm

Short of a blowout, basketball is an extremely exciting game at the college and professional levels. A very popular spectator sport (world wide) for a reason. I played through my first two years of high school and then in adult pick up leagues for many years. Lots of nuance that's best understood if one watched a lot (and playing competitively helps).

(I am a season's ticket holder for Villanova University and I attend 5 or so professional games a year. In fact, Kyle Lowry a frequent all star in that sport just joined our golf club.)

All IMO of course.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 14 May 2020, 2:40 pm

McLaren wrote:Question for our USA residents.

I think it's like any other sport Mac. Exciting to it's hardcore fans, only in bits and pieces to its casual fans. I'm a fair-weather fan who usually doesn't get engaged until March Madness or the playoff. (Except maybe when one of my local teams is doing extremely well).  But back in the MJ days, I tuned in quite a lot for no other reason than to see him play. Even bought overpriced scalped tickets to watch him play live in Houston once. I was much the same with Larry Bird.  I was all in for Phi Slamma Jama and the Rockets back with Hakeem...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 14 May 2020, 2:46 pm

I will also say this. The Last Dance is captivating to me. Michael Jordan obviously has extraordinary physical skills but his drive to win is off the charts.

It sure helps that I was a very close follower of the game (and pretty much still am) during his heyday. I actually find the interviews with his competitors and team mates most compelling.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 May 2020, 3:11 pm

super_realist wrote:

Who's Gee?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gee&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS818US818&oq=Gee+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j46j0l4j46.2003j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

At least I didn't use "Jesus" as my exclamation as you recently did.

or should I say "GEEsus"

NEXT!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 May 2020, 3:18 pm

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Who's Gee?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gee&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS818US818&oq=Gee+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j46j0l4j46.2003j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

At least I didn't use "Jesus" as my exclamation as you recently did.

or should I say "GEEsus"

NEXT!

What would be wrong with saying Jesus as an exclamation?
By the way, I was yanking your chain because I didn't think we were in an episode of Happy Days.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 May 2020, 3:20 pm

American sports are pretty boring

Funny, Boring 0-0 soccer games are why it has never caught on in the USA and Canada.

Cricket? That's exciting?

F! Racing? Riveting sport there (Yes I know we have Nascar but I don't like that either)

===========

Basketball is my least favorite of the Big 3 North American team sports. I watch sports mainly for the strategy aspect and that is why I enjoy Football and Baseball more, even though a lot slower in pace. Strategy is why I also enjoy tennis and golf, and even poker on TV.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 May 2020, 3:24 pm

super_realist wrote:
By the way, I was yanking your chain because I didn't think we were in an episode of Happy Days.

So next time you get your boxers in a bunch when Bubba or Webb or some other bible thumper mentions "Jesus" should I defend them as they were only using it as an exclamation?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 May 2020, 3:26 pm

GPB wrote:
American sports are pretty boring

Funny, Boring 0-0 soccer games are why it has never caught on in the USA and Canada.

Cricket?  That's exciting?

F! Racing?  Riveting sport there (Yes I know we have Nascar but I don't like that either)

===========

Basketball is my least favorite of the Big 3 North American team sports.  I watch sports mainly for the strategy aspect and that is why I enjoy Football and Baseball more, even though a lot slower in pace.  Strategy is why I also enjoy tennis and golf, and even poker on TV.

Both cricket and Football are more popular worldwide than all American sports added together. Cricket and Football dwarf the TV viewership of American sports, sorry, but it is true. So you and I are in the minority of not finding them exciting.

I don't find them interesting particularly, just as I don't find American sports interesting. It's called an opinion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 May 2020, 3:28 pm

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

So next time you get your boxers in a bunch when Bubba or Webb or some other bible thumper mentions "Jesus" should I defend them as they were only using it as an exclamation?

No, you should not because one is merely an exclamation of exasperation and one is a mental illness and seeking to employ a third party into their game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 May 2020, 3:43 pm

I go to about ten college b'ball games a year, pretty much just for some reason to get out of the house on winter's evenings. And I still don't really get it.

Love baseball and ice hockey, bored with NFL and seldom watch NBA or, since the demise (SU's contribution at least, plus hardly ever on TV) of the Big East, or College B'ball on TV.

Nothing to match Football, Cricket, Golf or Tennis.

supes,
Didn't Cecil Gee used to sell men's clothes with rather LOUD window displays, pretty much the only one I can think of.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 14 May 2020, 4:00 pm

super_realist wrote:
Both cricket and Football are more popular worldwide than all American sports added together.

And why is this relevant? I don't have a citation, but you have stated this "factoid" several times before.

FWIW, do you have a citation for your "factoid" and what is the metric. I don't think it is true. B-Ball is very popular worldwide especially in
China. and in Continental Europe. Baseball is also very popular in Asia and Latin America countries.

And in case you don't know. American Football is more than the NFL. Many college games attract 75000 fans or more. There ar probably 25 games each Saturday that attract 75000 fans or more. My local High School Football team (in a town of 10000 people) will get a 1000 fans in attendance for their games on Friday nights.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next