The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Covid-19 community thread

+45
Good Golly I'm Olly
MrInvisible
guildfordbat
Pie
king_carlos
Galted
McLaren
dyrewolfe
super_realist
IanBru
Valleyboy
alfie
TightHEAD
Samo
demosthenes
SecretFly
TRUSSMAN66
chris_501
Old Man
Luke
BamBam
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
mikey_dragon
Soul Requiem
Pr4wn
tigertattie
dynamark
Irish Londoner
yappysnap
Rugby Fan
BlueCoverman
WELL-PAST-IT
TheMildlyFranticLlama
lostinwales
Pete330v2
No 7&1/2
Pal Joey
Pot Hale
BigGee
LondonTiger
RiscaGame
jimbopip
RDW
49 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Covid-19 community thread  - Page 5 Empty The Covid-19 community thread

Post by RDW Thu 19 Mar 2020, 9:37 am

First topic message reminder :

With not much sport going on I want to create a thread for anything to do with the global pandemic.

Feel free to use it however you want.

If you need to release stress or anxiety about what's going on to a bunch of strangers who don't know you then go ahead.

If you're self isolating and want some benign chat then crack on.

If you're struggling and looking for anyone to help with anything then reach out here and see if anyone can help out.

This may not be used or it may kick off and help someone out - either way please be nice. We're literally all in it together!

Last edited by RDW on Sun 03 Jan 2021, 1:30 am; edited 3 times in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The Covid-19 community thread  - Page 5 Empty Re: The Covid-19 community thread

Post by jimbopip Thu 26 Mar 2020, 11:34 am

morning Gentlepeeps Hug

Luke, how are you doing?

Flounder, are the Criminal Element taking things seriously yet?

Tattie, you cannot expect me to call young Xander Ragnar. You have no idea how scary Princess Daughter is. The first three weeks of Xander's life can be played on a loop,

Me: Hi Xander.
PD: It's Zhaawnder! Not Sander.
Me: That's what I said.
PD: NO! Zhaaander. Say it.
Me: Xander.
PD: AAAAGH! Are you doing this deliberately?

I think I've got it now. It wasn't easy. But if anyone thinks I'm calling him Ragnar picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 26 Mar 2020, 2:01 pm

So I take it its Zhaaaaawndar as if an american was trying to do a posh english accent?

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 26 Mar 2020, 2:14 pm

America has a talent for producing excellent named persons -especially in golf.
Our CMO Chris Witty has a career in horror movies heading his way makes Vincent Price sound like a cuddly teddy bear

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 26 Mar 2020, 2:38 pm

tigertattie wrote:So I take it its Zhaaaaawndar as if an american was trying to do a posh english accent?

Just like an Essex girl baffled by the guttural Glaswegianisms that erupt from her father for no apparent reason.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Thu 26 Mar 2020, 2:44 pm

I actually gave an elderly relative a ring today to check how she was getting on with all this. She has something of a reputation for backcasting events. Stuff like "I thought it would snow today", "oh I thought you might call", "I said Ken Barlow would do that". She has a milestone birthday coming up and was arranging a restaurant for the whole family. I asked if she'd got the money back for it. To which I got the reply "no I never booked it in the end, I thought something like this might come up so I just left it". Which begs the question, why are the government looking on weird far-right forums for superforecasters when our care homes and cafes must be full of them just knitting away?

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 26 Mar 2020, 9:04 pm

The Aussies are starting to take it seriously, but weirdly one of the things they have said to be OK is personal training sessions with up to 10 people..... Headscratch

They also said hairdressers can stay open but have to keep to the 2m rule and sessions shorter than 30 minutes. For obviously reasons that rule was tweaked to have those stipulations removed.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 27 Mar 2020, 8:28 am

I have seen pictures taken this week, of site canteens jammed full of construction workers, with no regard for their own or anyone else's safety. One site I have seen pictures of am assured was shut down on Tuesday due to the pandemic, but my point was why if the site was open, and why, at the very least were some measures not put in place to stagger the meal breaks to allow people to sit at the tables with space between them.

I blame both the management for allowing it and not managing the situation and the workers themselves, they know the risks and should have more regard for themselves, their families and everybody else. They can always say no, to putting themselves at risk.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 28 Mar 2020, 12:53 am

jimbopip wrote:morning Gentlepeeps Hug

Luke, how are you doing?

Tattie, you cannot expect me to call young Xander Ragnar. You have no idea how scary Princess Daughter is. The first three weeks of Xander's life can be played on a loop,

I think I've got it now. It wasn't easy. But if anyone thinks I'm calling him Ragnar  picard

Nights are worse, as stopped sleeping properly, and a tendency to over think things🤔. But otherwise trying to get through it, and do things to keep my mind busy.
Thank you, hope everything is well with you and your family, and that everybody is healthy and getting through this.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 28 Mar 2020, 2:43 am

Luke wrote:

Luke, how are you doing?

I think I've got it now. It wasn't easy. But if anyone thinks I'm calling him Ragnar  picard

Nights are worse, as stopped sleeping properly, and a tendency to over think things🤔. But otherwise trying to get through it, and do things to keep my mind busy.
Thank you, hope everything is well with you and your family, and that everybody is healthy and getting through this.

Good to hear from you Luke. Do you have people to talk to? You're welcome to drop me a PM if you're needing someone to talk to. I'm 11 hours ahead of the UK so may be a delay in replying! There's some really good people on here who I'm sure would also be happy to help.

This applies to everyone on the forum - I'm a mental health first aider and have good knowledge of resources that can help people who are struggling. MIND and CALM are brilliant websites that give lots of great advice. The Samaritans are also absolute heroes if things ever feel like they're getting too much. I would really encourage everyone to have a look.

Unfortunately sleep problems are a common issue, particularly not helped by the current situation. The above mentioned websites have good advice and there are other resources out there for those who need them.

Please stay in touch Luke and there's loads of people here to talk to. And not just serious chat - there's still banter on the go! Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 28 Mar 2020, 6:23 am

RDW wrote:The Aussies are starting to take it seriously, but weirdly one of the things they have said to be OK is personal training sessions with up to 10 people..... Headscratch

They also said hairdressers can stay open but have to keep to the 2m rule and sessions shorter than 30 minutes. For obviously reasons that rule was tweaked to have those stipulations removed.

Bizarre , the hairdressing rules , I thought. And the personal trainer thing too...Not going to last , surely ? Exercise alone for heaven's sake ! Running - apart from other people - and do some stretches in your home.

Most non essential businesses in Melbourne shut down now I think : my firm has had us all working from home this last week (even the directors and IT people abandoned the office building yesterday) - and we will probably all be stood down soon as work - even online - dries up altogether. Am OK personally and can cope with a few weeks house arrest as long as I don't drive Herself nuts ...but a lot of people will be hit very hard by all this so I do hope the return to some sort of normalcy will not be at the long end of predictions.

Hopefully the (arguably a little overdue ) lockdown will result in the best result possible : ie a flattening of the infection rate and keeping the serious cases within the capacity of the health system. But even so I suspect decisions as when and how much to wind back restrictions will prove as tricky - or even more so - than the timing of shutdowns...

Best wishes to all on here wherever you may be and hope we can get through this and return to arguing about sports in a few months...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 28 Mar 2020, 9:53 am

Luke wrote:

Luke, how are you doing?

Luke, the disrupted sleep pattern is always a red flag. You don't rest properly and start the day knackered and then it's a downward spiral. I found Ruby Wax's books on Mindfulness to be very useful. I know you can't get to the shops but she must have a website which may prove useful. Stay on here and join in the banter. PM Flounder a lot at awkward times and ask him foolish questions. It may not help you but the rest of us will enjoy the thought of him being really peed off. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Mar 2020, 2:19 pm

Luke,

Hope you are ok today. For my own mental well-being I am glad that my daughters are with me right now. I am using this enforced break as a chance to reset a few things, mainly health wise. So getting fitter, eating healthier. Doing You Tube dance classes is making me look really silly, such that I am now a star of my daughters Instagram stories, but is also giving me an endorphin rush that really helps.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Mar 2020, 2:28 pm

So we fully closed our site down on Friday (no not this site a physical on Very Happy). We were operating social distancing practices, but did not feel that continuing to try and build and commission the plant was correct, so had the guys making things safe.

Our Funder strongly disagreed and has suspended the contract with us. I do understand that they have financial pressures, however this does mean that all desk work will now cease which will delay re-mobilisation. We have agreed to pay all our staff their full basic salary for April and will review whether we can sustain this beyond that period.

Having made that decision and faced down the pressure from our funder, I had the first full night's sleep last night in eons. Sadly woke to the news this morning that one of our contractors had a heart attack on Wednesday (the day after we released them) and had his life support withdrawn overnight.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 28 Mar 2020, 2:33 pm

London Tiger, the heart attack was not your responsibility. Feel sad for the poor man and his family, that is an appropriate and healthy response but do not link the timing of your decision with an event that was a result of many, many other factors. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Mar 2020, 2:45 pm

jimbopip wrote:
London Tiger, the heart attack was not your responsibility. Feel sad for the poor man and his family, that is an appropriate and healthy response but do not link the timing of your decision with an event that was a result of many, many other factors. Hug

ta. Re-reading I see I could be blaming myself, but really I am not. I am slightly angry we did not close down a touch earlier - but for a variety of reasons. His death has just brought back to me how fragile our existence is - one minute you are laughing and joking, then next not. So it re-inforces my feeling that I need to take this time I have with my daughters and make the best of it.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 28 Mar 2020, 4:24 pm

RDW wrote:
Luke wrote:

Luke, how are you doing?

Good to hear from you Luke. Do you have people to talk to? You're welcome to drop me a PM if you're needing someone to talk to. I'm 11 hours ahead of the UK so may be a delay in replying! There's some really good people on here who I'm sure would also be happy to help.

This applies to everyone on the forum - I'm a mental health first aider and have good knowledge of resources that can help people who are struggling. MIND and CALM are brilliant websites that give lots of great advice. The Samaritans are also absolute heroes if things ever feel like they're getting too much. I would really encourage everyone to have a look.

Unfortunately sleep problems are a common issue, particularly not helped by the current situation. The above mentioned websites have good advice and there are other resources out there for those who need them.

Please stay in touch Luke and there's loads of people here to talk to. And not just serious chat - there's still banter on the go! Hug

I did have, but the voices aren't talking to me, neither are the shadows 🤔, must be me😁😂😂😂.

I think the biggest issue is that work bought a structure to my days. And I'm finding that hard to replace, but I'll get better at it. Not helping that I'm wondering what shape the sport I follow (Rugby League), is going to be in. I know I have a job to go back to when this is finally over, so that's good. Other things will come together. It will just take time to get used to it.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 29 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm

Luke wrote:
RDW wrote:
Luke wrote:

Luke, how are you doing?

I did have, but the voices aren't talking to me, neither are the shadows 🤔, must be me😁😂😂😂.

I think the biggest issue is that work bought a structure to my days. And I'm finding that hard to replace, but I'll get better at it. Not helping that I'm wondering what shape the sport I follow (Rugby League), is going to be in. I know I have a job to go back to when this is finally over, so that's good. Other things will come together.  It will just take time to get used to it.

Well no Luke, The Shadows were famous for their instrumental hits. Not a lot of talking in the average instrumental. Although I remember Billy Bragg, the Bard Of Barking , on the radio doing a programme about the History Of Protest Songs; he read a complaint from a listener who was upset at the lack of instrumentals in the programme. As BB said, "The instrumental protest song is an art form which is still in it's infancy!" Actually, I'm not sure if he said that exactly or if I just wish he had said it. So yes the Shadows won't be speaking to you...but they don't speak to anyone else either.
Mind, if you hear a voice saying, "I'm Hank Marvin" it's not the bespectacled guitar hero...it's your stomach speaking in rhyming slang.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 29 Mar 2020, 2:56 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Luke wrote:
RDW wrote:
Luke wrote:

Luke, how are you doing?

I think the biggest issue is that work bought a structure to my days. And I'm finding that hard to replace, but I'll get better at it. Not helping that I'm wondering what shape the sport I follow (Rugby League), is going to be in. I know I have a job to go back to when this is finally over, so that's good. Other things will come together.  It will just take time to get used to it.

Well no Luke, The Shadows were famous for their instrumental hits. Not a lot of talking in the average instrumental. Although I remember Billy Bragg, the Bard Of Barking , on the radio doing a programme about the History Of Protest Songs; he read a complaint from a listener who was upset at the lack of instrumentals in the programme. As BB said, "The instrumental protest song is an art form which is still in it's infancy!" Actually, I'm not sure if he said that exactly or if I just wish he had said it. So yes the Shadows won't be speaking to you...but they don't speak to anyone else either.
Mind, if you hear a voice saying, "I'm Hank Marvin" it's not the bespectacled guitar hero...it's your stomach speaking in rhyming slang.

Ah, you see being a northerner we just go straight in with I'm hungry, rather than confuse the situation. And possibly leading to a conversation about a front man that I don't really know alot about. Of a band I never really liked that much. Apart from one tune. That probably wasn't as good as I used to think.
Now Fleetwood Mac, especially Rumours we are talking near on perfection of an album, that can't be confused with other things.
And Hank just isn't able to be a guitar strap to the true guitar god, that is Mark Knopfler of Dire straits, which is also were this country is heading at the moment. So is going to become prime minister by default of being the lead singer, maybe.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Valleyboy Sun 29 Mar 2020, 8:15 pm

I'm told the secret is to keep busy and try to have a structure to your day.
6 days in and the only thing of note I've achieved so far is I've grown a beard!

Keep the posts coming guys. I'm a background lurker as a rule, enjoy reading these boards and this thread is really interesting and helpful. OK

Valleyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 29 Mar 2020, 9:16 pm

I did not get a hair cut before the lockdown started, I think this may have been a mistake as I am already going the way of Tom Hanks in Castaway. At least 3 weeks to go, do I get the Mrs to try to cut it????

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 29 Mar 2020, 9:42 pm

Sure! Make a joke about her weight just before you hand her the shears. It will all have grown back before we're allowed out in early August.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 3:28 am

Valleyboy wrote:I'm told the secret is to keep busy and try to have a structure to your day.
6 days in and the only thing of note I've achieved so far is I've grown a beard!

Keep the posts coming guys. I'm a background lurker as a rule, enjoy reading these boards and this thread is really interesting and helpful. OK

Good to have you Valleyboy - feel free to add to your posting tally if you want, or if not carry on lurking!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 3:56 am

Luke wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Ah, you see being a northerner we just go straight in with I'm hungry, rather than confuse the situation. And possibly leading to a conversation about a front man that I don't really know alot about. Of a band I never really liked that much. Apart from one tune. That probably wasn't as good as I used to think.
Now Fleetwood Mac, especially Rumours we are talking near on perfection of an album, that can't be confused with other things.
And Hank just isn't able to be a guitar strap to the true guitar god, that is Mark Knopfler of Dire straits, which is also were this country is heading at the moment. So is going to become prime minister by default of being the lead singer, maybe.

This exchange is excellent Very Happy

Personally my musical idol is The Boss, who has many songs that could aptly describe our current situation.

Very near 2nd place though is Biffy Clyro who wrote one of my favourite song lyrics in their song Jutboy, similarly appropriate!

Biffy f**king Clyro wrote:I am hoping, through the dark clouds, lightening shall break and bring a bright sky

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Mar 2020, 7:57 am

Watching the Boss at Roundhay Park back in the 80s, encore longer than most people's sets.

Dragged my then 17yo to Blinded by the Light last year and she fell in love with the music.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:03 am

LondonTiger wrote:Watching the Boss at Roundhay Park back in the 80s, encore longer than most people's sets.

Dragged my then 17yo to Blinded by the Light last year and she fell in love with the music.

Watched that 8 hours into the 14 hour Sydney leg of the flight over. Loved it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:12 am

RDW wrote:

This exchange is excellent Very Happy

Personally my musical idol is The Boss, who has many songs that could aptly describe our current situation.

Very near 2nd place though is Biffy Clyro who wrote one of my favourite song lyrics in their song Jutboy, similarly appropriate!

Biffy f**king Clyro wrote:I am hoping, through the dark clouds, lightening shall break and bring a bright sky

Biffy have a lot of quality lyrics, my favourite is from Get ****** Stud

'Only you see the sunset on Amphetamines' It's the delivery that makes it.

Overall but not the most apt at the moment is from That's Entertainment by The Jam;

'Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude'.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:27 am

It's amazing how music transcends the generations and can mean something different to everyone.

One of my favourite Brucey albums is The Rising which was written in response to 9/11. Most of the album can easily be viewed in the current world context. 'Waiting on a sunny day' a personal favourite!

As an aside, the two worst photos I have ever taken happen to be the most famous person in modern times (The Queen) and my absolute idol and hero (The Boss). I obviously panic in these situations!

The first one was when I saw the Queen's cavalcade driving towards me near the Forth Road Bridge - I managed to get a picture of a road sign and some bushes with the back of a Rolls Royce almost out of shot.

Brucey was by far my biggest failing though. His daughter is a champion show jumper (and a stunning lady) and Mrs RDW and I were watching her at a show jumping event in Chelsea last summer. Bruce was known to watch her and I spotted him in hospitality earlier in the day. Late on in the event we were walking near the very quiet entrance and Jessica (beautiful daughter) walked past me (I nearly dissolved) so I hung about to see if her family were coming to. Shortly after Bruce and Patty came out and were walking towards me. I was absolutely gobsmacked and nearly fainted. I panicked - I wanted a photo but it also felt weird given we were the only ones there. I decided to go for a long shot and managed to get one of Patty with Bruce completely blocked... Doh

All was not lost though as he nodded at me as he walked past - my life was complete! Yahoo

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:47 am

A few years back my partner bought me two VIP tickets to see Foo Fighters which included a meet and greet with the band before the show, as someone growing up in the 90's Grunge was and still is a massive influence on me so meeting Dave Grohl was both exciting and terrifying. On the train to the venue, I was suddenly overcome with a sense of dread going over in my head what i'd say, what I should do and something as simple as a handshake seemed beyond me. The actual meeting I do not recall at all but do have a few photos to remember it by, it's a strange sensation looking at pictures of yourself sober and not recollect it. The gig was amazing as they always are.

The moral of story as is true of yours too RDW is that one should never meet ones idols, turns us into something we are not.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 30 Mar 2020, 9:20 am

Being partially deaf, music has never been the biggest thing in my life, I can hear the base but anything in the soft or high pitch range, forget it. However hearing aids have come on a bomb in recent years, I am a lot safer now, I can actually hear fire alarms, but also music, I don't quite hear it all and still reply on lip reading to fully understand everything. With my new found ability to hear more, we have been digging around in what is basically my wife's collection of DVDs and CDs (mainly now on digital format as we don't have a CD player).

She has always been a big Queen fan, so we put on a dvd of the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert from the, early 90s, it was the only concert I have ever been to, we went for her and I suppose support for the cause. When you think of the names that appeared there and the bands they came from, you would not think that Heavy metal singers, would 1. be seen supporting such a cause, Aids was a big stigma still in those days, and 2. that they could actually sing so well, bearing in mind the screeching shouty noise they usually make (or was that me, not hearing properly).

Where else would you see Axl Rose, singing with Elton John arms around each other like old buddies, George Michael completely dominating the audience as only Freddie used to so, David Bowie not just singing, but playing back up sax for Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson (I know he wrote the song ATYD).

In a world of self interest, it is encouraging that not for the first or hopefully the last time, these often regarded as selfish media icons can give up two weeks of their time to put together a show in which they get two or three minutes to perform, all for the sake of others.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 9:26 am

Holy crap, for your only ever concert that's pretty spectacular!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 30 Mar 2020, 9:47 am

RDW wrote:Holy crap, for your only ever concert that's pretty spectacular!

Music didn't have a lot of interest for me for obvious reasons but I got the tickets through a friend as a 12th anniversary present for my Mrs. Not the wedding anniversary as we have never really bothered about that, that date we first moved in together. We were considered naughty people in 1980 "living over the brush" as my mother called it. We only got married to get the Married Mans Allowance as you did then, we couldn't afford the mortgage on a house we wanted to buy without it; romantic eh. We probably would have done once we went for kids, as things were different back then for "illegitimate" children.

I did get taken to a live performance of some band who had a couple of hits in the 70s, at one of the theatres around Victoria (London) once by a previous girlfriend. That was my only other live music experience outside of a pub. I did see the Sex Pistols once when they were getting going, listened to them for two minutes and found another bar.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 Mar 2020, 10:31 am

I took a girl I was trying to impress to see Queen at Wembley arena back sometime in the 1980s, pre Live Aid I think.

She was a huge fan and really only had eyes for Freddie and was not all that interested in me.

I have a feeling that she would have been disappointed if she had actually meet him as well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 10:58 am

BigGee wrote:I took a girl I was trying to impress to see Queen at Wembley arena back sometime in the 1980s, pre Live Aid I think.

She was a huge fan and really only had eyes for Freddie and was not all that interested in me.

I have a feeling that she would have been disappointed if she had actually meet him as well!

She was definitely barking up the wrong tree there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:08 am

For anyone interested in some 606 mandated activity Very Happy:

https://www.606v2.com/t69520-northampton-saints-fitness-challenge#3898015

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:10 am

Some good memories here amigos Hug

May I share mine?

Back in the day I was a Clash fan. I saw them at the old Glasgow Appollo, London Calling tour I think...I saw them a few times, and hung around afterwards to try to chat with them. There were about fifty fans hangining around in the front stalls and a dozen or so bouncers eyeing us up warily. Anyway the four of them wandered in and spent ages chatting to everyone. Very Happy I remember one couple and she was wearing a white tuxedo over T-shirt and black mini with fishnet tights. When they started talking with Topper Headon she pulled out a large black felt tip and he autographed the back of her jacket. All over it! I wonder where that jacket is now? (please let it belong to FES's mum).
Anyway, when Joe Strummer and I got talking we seemed to hit it off; he asked my opinion of the new material they had played and I said I really liked "Radio Clash" but thought they played it too early in the set. He surprised me by saying they had been having trouble placing it: they tried it as the opener but it didn't work their either. Without thinking I asked they had considered finishing with it. Maybe. was the reply. Then other people came to have his time and I began to thank him and head off. Joe Strummer asked if I would be there tomorrow night. I tried to be cool and said my dole money didn't stretch to two tickets. He pulled out a pen and piece of paper and asked for my full name. "You're on the guest list, Jimbo".
I went home not believing any of it had actually happened.
As it happened I was living five minutes walk from the Apollo so next evening I went round and walked up to the roadie at the door. He had a clipboard of sorts and looked as if he was in charge of something. Summoning a confidence I didn't possess I explained that I was on the guest list. Incredibly enough I was! Yahoo Embarrassing disclaimer: I hadn't thought I would be on the guest list but being a well brought up boy thought I should take a thank you just in case I was. So I handed the roadie a large envelope stuffed with poems I had been writing and asked him to pass it on
The gig was excellent. On their day they were one of the best live bands ever. I've seen ;The Wo, Stones, Bad Company, Queen, Thin Lizzy, The Jam, Springsteen and the E Street band...The Clash were right up there. They closed the set with "Radio Clash"!!!!
Afterwards I waited in the front stalls again. There was a bigger crowd this time and the bouncers herded us together in a tight group. Then the Clash walked in and there was a collective intake of breath and silence for a moment. The band were about 15 feet away from us and they were looking at us looking at them. The silence was broken by Joe Strummer saying,

"Jimbo! I got your poems, thanks I liked them."  Erm  Erm  Erm  Erm

When we talked he mentioned "Radio Clash"  and how it worked better at the end rather than third song in!!!

They say you should never meet your heroes but I disagree.

Last edited by jimbopip on Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:14 am

Cracking story.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:14 am

Jimbo did you used to be cool??

That's an epic story btw! Cool

Last edited by RDW on Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 Mar 2020, 11:30 am

That may turn out to be the best story of the week!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 30 Mar 2020, 12:32 pm

Back in the late 70's I was a Quantity Surveyor on a large council housing project in SW London, one of the subcontractors QS was also a part time musician who did session work and the like, we got on quite well and one day he invited me and my then girlfriend to go down a pub near Hand Cross in Sussex where he lived as he was going to do some "jamming" with the locals.

He warned me that the Landlord was a bit "peculiar", he was an ex-nay commander that had bought the pub with his pension. There was nothing to drink that would not either pour out of a bottle, or out of a racked up barrel.

What he didn't warn me about was the clientele, we walked in and just stood absolutely gob smacked, there was Norman standing at the bar talking to Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton. Apparently they also live local and use the pub to relax and try out new things or just be in the company of other musicians and the like where they are treat as just another customer.

Spent quite a lot of time down there after that, I might not have been able to hear it all properly, but it was a class above anything anywhere else and the company was very down to earth despite their fame.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 30 Mar 2020, 1:43 pm

It appears Cummings has now tested positive, too much contact with BoJo's nether regions you think, most of what he thinks and says comes out of there.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 30 Mar 2020, 1:50 pm

Well-Past-It excellent. thumbsup

I shall try to get Ian Bru to come on here and tell his Paul McCartney story...it's a cracker.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2020, 2:40 pm

RDW wrote:It's amazing how music transcends the generations and can mean something different to everyone.

One of my favourite Brucey albums is The Rising which was written in response to 9/11. Most of the album can easily be viewed in the current world context. 'Waiting on a sunny day' a personal favourite!

As an aside, the two worst photos I have ever taken happen to be the most famous person in modern times (The Queen) and my absolute idol and hero (The Boss). I obviously panic in these situations!

The first one was when I saw the Queen's cavalcade driving towards me near the Forth Road Bridge - I managed to get a picture of a road sign and some bushes with the back of a Rolls Royce almost out of shot.

Brucey was by far my biggest failing though. His daughter is a champion show jumper (and a stunning lady) and Mrs RDW and I were watching her at a show jumping event in Chelsea last summer. Bruce was known to watch her and I spotted him in hospitality earlier in the day. Late on in the event we were walking near the very quiet entrance and Jessica (beautiful daughter) walked past me (I nearly dissolved) so I hung about to see if her family were coming to. Shortly after Bruce and Patty came out and were walking towards me. I was absolutely gobsmacked and nearly fainted. I panicked - I wanted a photo but it also felt weird given we were the only ones there. I decided to go for a long shot and managed to get one of Patty with Bruce completely blocked... Doh

All was not lost though as he nodded at me as he walked past - my life was complete! Yahoo

My wife and I watched 'Blinded by the Light' the other night.  Have you seen it?  It's one of those feel good films that comes along every now and again.  Fairly light hearted.  It's a true story about a British Asian lad growing up in Luton who was obsessed with The Boss and who used Springstein's lyrics as inspiration to navigate his way through teenage years into adulthood in 80s/90s UK, and the racism, expectations of him as a muslim man, cultural norms, his father's troubles with finding work, etc.  Nice cameo from Rob Brydon too!  Really enjoyed it.  And of course a great soundtrack throughput. I love a good film with music through it.  Watched a good one about Northern Soul the other day too.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 30 Mar 2020, 3:10 pm

jimbopip wrote:Well-Past-It excellent. thumbsup

I shall try to get Ian Bru to come on here and tell his Paul McCartney story...it's a cracker.
Ha ha cheers Jim, that's my arm suitably twisted...

My mum's family are farmers, and the family farm is a few miles outside of Campbeltown on the Mull of Kintyre. My mum's cousin runs the farm and my great aunt has lived there since the war. The farm next door is now owned by Paul McCartney. When he moved there in the late '70s, my great aunt took it upon herself to walk the few miles to his farmhouse with a pie to welcome him. Paul invited her in, thanked her for the pie, and they got talking about music; she mentioned that her absolute favourite Beatles song was 'Lady Madonna'. Paul walked over to his baby-grand piano in the corner of the living room and starts blasting out the song, followed by a shout from Stella McCartney in the next room: "DAAAAAD!! Shut up!! We're trying to watch Dallas!"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 30 Mar 2020, 3:19 pm

I spent my teenage years in Hull. And there used to be s park (Pearson park, it's still there), where we used to meet and play those games of football that were a minimum of 20 a side.
Anyway, quite a few times the Housemartins used to join in as they lived near by.
Also a guy at school used to get music lessons from his neighbour, who was Roland Gift lead singer of the fine young cannibals.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 30 Mar 2020, 3:53 pm

Great story Jimbo. That’s awesome.

RDW, I only discovered Justboy, when I went to watch them live at Bellahouston Park in 16. Very good song, especially live.

At the minute, I’ve got a beard coming, but I shaved my head totally the other day. So the stubble everywhere is annoying my fiancée, which is great Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 30 Mar 2020, 3:56 pm

Luke wrote:I spent my teenage years in Hull. And there used to be s park (Pearson park, it's still there), where we used to meet and play those games of football that were a minimum of 20 a side.
Anyway, quite a few times the Housemartins used to join in as they lived near by.
Also a guy at school used to get music lessons from his neighbour, who was Roland Gift lead singer of the fine young cannibals.

One of the sports autobiographies I have, tells a story about Paul Heaton and meeting him without really knowing who he was for a bit. That’ll annoy me all day now, trying to think about whose book it was.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 30 Mar 2020, 5:34 pm

For something to do, I have been watching the 2012 England Vs New Zealand game, it reminded me of just how good some of those players,many now derided, were when they were on song. Tom Youngs was out of this world, as was Barritt, Parling, Wood and Brown, even on the wing.

It also brought it home to me how much has changed in the last 6 years, I doubt a player would be left on the pitch today, every other tackle was around the head and neck.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Mar 2020, 10:02 pm

Bru, Luke, excellent stories!

Oracle - I think I mentioned it on the serious thread, but I watched it on the film over to Sydney. I absolutely loved it and was quite emotional at the end (although that might have been the sleep deprevation!))

Well past it - 2012 was 8 years ago not 6 Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 31 Mar 2020, 6:17 am

Eureka!

I solved it all.  Was awake researching until 5.00am.  Slept on my recliner for an hour.  At 6.00 I woke up in a sudden dart with the truth racing through my mind like a white light of a speeding train.

The Earth truly has become Flat.  The best kept secret on the planet OF the planet.  Remember I said this..

My tin foil hat army will be most pleased to hear the good news.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 31 Mar 2020, 6:34 am

Is this the first crack in our impervious dam?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next