The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

+20
Brendan
Tramptastic
demosthenes
LondonTiger
Welly
EST
TheMildlyFranticLlama
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
king_carlos
NeilyBroon
Kingshu
thebandwagonsociety
bsando
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
jimbopip
BigGee
tigertattie
24 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by RDW Mon 20 Apr 2020, 12:10 am

Previous gibberish

https://www.606v2.com/t69038p1050-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread

Fixtures

Glasgow - none

Edinburgh - none

Scotland - none

Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by RDW Mon 20 Apr 2020, 4:54 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-8219081/Exeter-play-Jonny-Gray-season-fixtures-resume-July.html

Thank could get messy for a lot of players and clubs!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by tigertattie Mon 20 Apr 2020, 9:18 am

I think with the Jeff starting late (due to the world cup) I can see them playing right through the summer and starting the next season late also.

With the boys not playing for months they'll have had a good rest and will be wanting to get back at it, all that Rugby needs to do is ensure than there's a decent break for the players before they start back again.

Summer tours will likely be binned and some AIs could also be canned to get the 6Ns finished. Any international players must be looked after at that time though to make sure they arent over played.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 20 Apr 2020, 9:30 am

To me the only sensible option now is to can this season and aim to get going again in the autumn. There is no way restrictions are going to be eased enough to allow crowds to watch live sport much before then, if at all. We could easily see games being played in empty stadiums at the beginning of the season.

The unions will do everything they can to get the autumn internationals on, as the financial consequences of not playing them will be dire and could threaten the very existence of professional rugby in Scotland and some other countries.

If they can't do that, then maybe they will come up with some other innovations to make money, like a home and away 6N this time around!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 20 Apr 2020, 9:33 am

Damn you furious you mincing Luvvie fop that you are. furious

Start my day by reminding me there's fecc all rugby on the horizon AND THEN remind me that Ickle Jonny is offski. censored

I've been trying to console myself with a new meditation mantra, "NakNaks, Surfer Dude and Cummings in the 23: that's a better engine room than the Enterprise ever had, Scottie." but you had to spoil my inner calm. Damn you. furious

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 20 Apr 2020, 9:49 am

Lads - sorry I've been a bit silent. How is everyone getting on?

The trauma of coaxing a 6 and an 8 year old through distance learning is quite something. Imagine trying to explain to Jim why Stockbridge properties are relatively affordable. Now take the anger and confusion received from that conversation and multiply by 10. That's my kids. Then you add sugar because their affection is available for purchase and because I want it.

My coronabeard is actually great and I am surprised that Mrs GC likes it. It's bloody white though. I am nearly past the Awkward 4 Week Stage.

I am trying to get to the bottom of why we cannot play rugby matches without an audience present. Do we care about the result or the spectacle? Say you tested all of the players and all coaching staff and all referees. They were all found to be negative. If we want to finish the league, could we play all games in empty stadia?

An interesting philosophical question. Is sport nothing without spectators?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 20 Apr 2020, 9:58 am

Great to hear from you GC!

This is what I said about the matter last week:

RDW wrote:I'm in 2 minds about sport getting preferential treatment.

On one hand it is a major part of society in most countries round the world so could provide entertainment and distraction for the general public who are stuck in doors, as well as helping out the teams financially.

On the other I think it sends out the wrong message - nothing shocks a country into how serious this is like having your favourite sport not playing. The more 'normal' you make life for people the more likely they'll relax and not listen to the lockdown measures etc. and that could be dangerous if sport is brought back well before the rest of the country has rules relaxed. I'm sure a lot of other sectors would have something to say about sport having their finances helped by allowing them to come back early too. Not to mention the health risk for the players and all the support staff - it's not just the playing, it's the training and travel. Are they going to have to all isolate together away from their families to ensure it doesn't spread (in either direction)? That's hardly great for family life and their mental health.

NRL here in Australia is a prime example - they kept on playing for as long as they literally could, even after pretty much every other sport had stopped. They are also brazenly saying they are going to charge ahead and get started again in May despite not having the backing of the government - they're only in it for themselves, screw everyone else. They're even talking about setting up residential camps for teams to all stay and play in the same location to avoid community transmission.

Australia is doing well just now in terms of pandemic response and the government are very much stressing we can't let our guard down as it could start to go wrong quickly - I really hope they stand up strong to the NRL and only let them resume when it is safe and sensible to do so.

From a UK perspective I really don't see how it could be sensible to let teams resume any time soon, even behind closed doors. UK is still in a very precarious situation. I'd be amazed if we see major sport resumed before the end of the summer.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 20 Apr 2020, 10:11 am

GC, great to have you back.
Yes Stockbridge properties are relatively affordable. You must remember I am currently domiciled in sunny Essex.
So you're available for seasonal employment in department stores now? Remember: once the girls reach the lumpy jumper stage they can't sit on your lap and tell you if they've been naughty warning White beard or no white beard.

As for distance learning; Caz , the quiet Bokkie, shared a meme on FB.

"All you parents who forgot to teach your children respect!
You're stuck at home with the little sheeits now!"

Great to have you back GC. Hug

p.s. I may soon be run out of Essex pursued by angry villagers waving torches and pitchforks. A few of my neighbours were posting on FB about how we should all put politics aside and support BOJo because he is working his hardest 24/7 to look after and care for us.  picard  picard  picard You can probably guess how my response went. I'm currently searching the interweb for a glazier who can come round this afternoon.

Last edited by jimbopip on Mon 20 Apr 2020, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 20 Apr 2020, 11:28 am

In the USA, the NBA are discussing having teams play in small gyms with no one present to have it on TV. They are not sure how the logistics would work especially as the testing is not necessarily as reliable as folk would like and the image of taking doctors/paramedics away from the frontline to a gym for a basketball game. It would be even harder with rugby due to numbers and the additional medical staff required. Not a good look to have people dying of a strange disease in a hospital at breaking point whilst Ryan Wilson is going around picking fights.

The reality of ending the season now is likely easier in rugby than football with promotion/relegation at the top levels (England can go to 13 (potentially 14) teams as they naturally seem to have ended up). Have a long summer with SH rugby championship the first rugby to begin the global calendar and potentially have games played behind closed doors as required to start next season. Pay out whatever TV money has been earned from the 2019 Six Nations and split whatever prize pool is still available evenly between six.  

If we are in dire straits globally, start the club seasons in August if possible and end all NH club seasons by mid-May. Extend the 2021 summer internationals with Lions in SA and Scotland/England/Ireland/etc. off to do longer tournaments/tours elsewhere (5 games instead of 3). Super Rugby can start early to accommodate this as well.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 20 Apr 2020, 12:24 pm

RDW warning warning warning

This antipodean approach to thread starting and titling is frankly unacceptable.

Up your game or we will repatriate you to a council flat in Wester Hailes.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 20 Apr 2020, 1:05 pm

I can see what will happen if they declare the season void

Sarries will lodge a legal case as to why they should stay in the Jeff if it is called Game's a Bogey. The Jeff will then let Nookie come back up and have a slightly larger Prem, they will then ringfence it and Boom. Sarries stay at the top!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 20 Apr 2020, 1:14 pm

Not so sure about that, Sarries do seem to have accepted a dollop of humble pie is required and so need to do their years pensnce in the Championship

It might not end up being a bsd season to sit out if the start of next season is delayed again!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 21 Apr 2020, 10:19 am

Its all a bit murky.

I really can see some competitions saying that as they can’t complete the season there will be no relegation and there will be some that then say it’s unfair not to promote the highest ranked team in the lower league so therefore there is promotion but no relegation. We could see Sarries in the prem next year yet.

Form and Edinburgh point of view, I can’t say with confidence that we'll be top of the conference again in the next few years so it’s a bit of a missed opportunity for us. Leinster have been in great form but Edinburgh do seem to be one team that even in our dark days, don’t have that bad a record vs the Dublin machine so we would have stood every change of being the once and current champions!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 21 Apr 2020, 10:50 am

tigertattie wrote:Its all a bit murky.

I really can see some competitions saying that as they can’t complete the season there will be no relegation and there will be some that then say it’s unfair not to promote the highest ranked team in the lower league so therefore there is promotion but no relegation. We could see Sarries in the prem next year yet.

Form and Edinburgh point of view, I can’t say with confidence that we'll be top of the conference again in the next few years so it’s a bit of a missed opportunity for us. Leinster have been in great form but Edinburgh do seem to be one team that even in our dark days, don’t have that bad a record vs the Dublin machine so we would have stood every change of being the once and current champions!

I like the subtle introduction of realism there TT. Very Happy Current not Future. I was rewatching last year's final: We really could have won that. I think the Ladyboys are very like a cattenachio style Italian footie team from the 1960's; happy to defend all day and win ugly by one goal (or in rugby terms 3 points). If you get ahead by more than 7 early and force them to come out and play rugby then you stand a chance of winning, but if they get their noses in front they're almost impossible to break down.

I put our defeat down to ; DTH didn't look fit, Haircut blew a simple pass to put Sam Johnson in to give us a 10 point lead, TBRITW was very "eccentric" in adjudicating at scrum time and CIAN HEALEY WAS IMMENSE.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 21 Apr 2020, 12:10 pm

Healy is one of the biggest front row cheats out there. His scrummaging is illegal in most penalties he wins and its frustrating that the refs jsut dont ping him for it.

I very much look forward to the days where Scotland win more games than not against the Irish again.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 21 Apr 2020, 5:37 pm

Agreed about Healey cheating at scrum time but he is also an immensely destructive player in the loose.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 21 Apr 2020, 11:15 pm

Old John Barclay isn’t getting a new contract at Edinburgh next season. At only 32 you’d think he’s still got a coupe of seasons left in him yet. Where do you think he’ll end up going?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 21 Apr 2020, 11:27 pm

He has had a brutal career injury wise - for his future I'd almost prefer him to retire and look after himself!

Saying that he hasn't actually played that much rugby over the last few years so the rest of his body might be in reasonable shape to go on. I'd be surprised if he would want to uproot his family again - would Glasgow take him back? Potentially given their lack of back row options and Gibbins probably leaving. Maybe a Super 6 player/coach roll for a year to see if he wants to break into coaching? Similar to our discussions on Laidlaw that might be a bit beneath him given how illustrious a player he has been - would he have the same motivation playing semi pro.

Cockers also said Matt Scott is off. It's a shame because when he did play this season he was an absolutely world beater, but he was injured so often it probably wasn't worth the salary he was on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 22 Apr 2020, 6:07 am

I wonder if any of that is due to the downturn in the SRUs financisl position due to CV.

They are probably 2 of the most expensive players on Edinburgh books and as has been said have both been injured a lot.

In truth JB has not looked the ssme player since the Achilles injury and i think he will call it a day, he may only be 32 but he has a lot of miles on the clock.

Matt Scott is in the same kind of situation as Dunbar was at Glasgow, just a bit to fragile to afford.

He may get picked up by another side, in England or France, it probsbly depends on whether he wants to move away again.

Professional sport is a brutal old business, probably even more so in the current climate.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2020, 6:11 am

Yeah it must be really tough for those who are out of contract this summer - I bet CV hit just as they were all trying to finalise a move, and a lot of those opportunities have gone now.

They're of course no different from anyone else whose future has been made very uncertain by this, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't feel sympathy! Although pro rugby player pay is better than most workers it's not like it's a footballers salary.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 22 Apr 2020, 11:47 am

Shame to lose Matt Scott but surely there is someone who will pay him well. Turning 30 at start of September, international experience (and unlikely to be picked), success at Pro14 and Aviva level and was not particularly injury prone this year. Would likely get offers in Japan, English clubs would be interested and France would probably make the most sense (perhaps next to Dunbar at Brive). In team of Conference B written 5 days ago (https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/analysis-opinion/opta-index-conference-b-team-of-the-season) as well

Barclay would make sense at Glasgow as we need a captain. I think Japan is more likely.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 22 Apr 2020, 12:09 pm

Matt Scott has been injured a lot this year hazel - pretty much after every big performance he was then out injured.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 22 Apr 2020, 12:26 pm

RDW wrote:Matt Scott has been injured a lot this year hazel - pretty much after every big performance he was then out injured.

According to Pro14 stats, started 8 and benched 1 of Edinburgh 13 league games in addition to starting two of the six Euro games by my count. It is not fantastic, it is not a disaster. He was on target to appear in 15 - 20 games.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 22 Apr 2020, 12:37 pm

I think his problem seems to be stringing games together, he never really had a good run and that's what cost him with Toonie.

Unfortunately prospective employers will have noticed as well. In the current climate they may well be less inclined to take a punt on anyone seen as a risk.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed 22 Apr 2020, 9:13 pm

It's a shame to see Barclay and Scott go but, generally speaking, the trend is that when Scottish internationals retire from international duty they don't last long at the Pro Clubs. It makes sense I suppose, they'll be on bigger contracts but ultimately pro rugby exists in Scotland to serve the national side and they can no longer serve that purpose. It's probably better to get three youngsters in with the hope one of them makes it. Perhaps Scott fits that category. He's on an uphill battle for Scotland recognition, it's unlikely he'll make the next world cup, he'll be on an internationals contract and he's got a pretty poor injury record.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 23 Apr 2020, 9:37 am

Rugby paper reporting on the Sarries Car Boot Sale, have listed Sean Maitland as coming back to Scotland, they have him down as Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Hard to see that not being Glasgow, with the depth of wing they have at Edinburgh and the likely retirement of DTH and probably Lee Jones as well. He could also fill in at FB for Glasgow. He is still under contract at Sarries, so maybe they have done some sort of deal to release him and allow us to get him on the cheap.

Would be very happy to have him back.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 23 Apr 2020, 9:51 am

BigGee wrote:Rugby paper reporting on the Sarries Car Boot Sale, have listed Sean Maitland as coming back to Scotland, they have him down as Glasgow/Edinburgh. Shocked Wow that is investigative journalism on a Bernstein/Woodward scale. How they deduced that a return to Scotland might, just might, mean either the Rugby Club or the MFL is just beyond me.

Hard to see that not being Glasgow, with the depth of wing they have at Edinburgh and the likely retirement of DTH and probably Lee Jones as well. He could also fill in at FB for Glasgow. He is still under contract at Sarries, so maybe they have done some sort of deal to release him and allow us to get him on the cheap.

Would be very happy to have him back.

Gee, have you been busy at work or something? This has been discussed on here a few weeks ago. I think NoMaits will most likely return to the Home Of...well you know whose home. Rozza and DTH are unlikely to be pulling on a Warriors top in anger again and Rhuaridh the Gin Peddler, who continues to defy time, will surely be used in a squad capacity rather than a starting 15. Seymour wants to concentrate on full back, So we have MadMad Mata, his cousin Ratu and the Pixie as the main contenders for the wings. I can see a place for NoMaits.

Also, he is possibly a we bit too laid back:zen: for Cockers. steam

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:19 pm

Why does Seymour want to concentrate on FB now after international retirement? That’s a bit bonkers
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:24 pm

tigertattie wrote:Why does Seymour want to concentrate on FB now after international retirement? That’s a bit bonkers

Tend to agree that Sleepy Sean would be a better option at FB than Tommy S

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:26 pm

Robbie Nairn and Ollie Smith are in the back three conversation at Glasgow. A couple of the 7's players may earn an opportunity as well.

A Seymour - Maitland - Tagive/L Jones/Mata back three has got some firepower but not much youth. Really do need to find youngsters to blood into these spots

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 23 Apr 2020, 12:37 pm

Seymour and Maitland are in the twilights of their careers, Niko is probably not the player he once was and I think Lee Jones (who has not played all season) is likely to finnish this year as well.

We do need some youngsters to come through and having a couple of experienced vetrans around like Tommy and Sean would surely be very good for them.

Nairn has had a couple of years as a pro without breaking through and seems to be a bit fragile. He really needs to step up or he will get bypassed pretty quickly.

Smith looked very decent at U20 level and surely deserves his chance. Sofolarin in the sevens squad looks to have frightening pace and maybe a move back into 15s was always the plan for him once he committed to Scotland. There is another young wing in the sevens squad who is also very speedy and was a very good age grade player, whose name is evading me at the moment and Mclean from this years crop looks to have something about him, but maybe a year in sevens might be the progression for him to see how he shapes up as a full time player.

So there is some young talent there, but hard to know at this stage who might be the ones to step up.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:26 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/richard-cockerill-jordan-venter/?v=79cba1185463

Cockers giving the heads up on a few comings and goings for next season.

Hickey is currently back in NZ as his dad not well, so looks like he has gone.

Jono Lance and maybe Nathan Chamberlain, the U20s FH, to come in.

Also hints about Marshal Sykes, who I though was very much on Glasgow radar.

Edinburgh will publish their full list of departures next week.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:51 pm

On the lock front our short term deals did well so I'm surprised we didn't try to make them permanent - Murray Douglas in particular, but maybe he wasn't wanting to leave Australia permanently (don't blame him!).

Still wish we'd kept Hickey but can understand why we didn't re-sign him.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 26 Apr 2020, 8:31 pm

Just watched Glasgow thumping the Ladyboys at the RDS. Very Happy

Just hope we get them in the final at Parkhead. The sun will shine, the pitch will be firm and TBRITW will ensure it's a festival of free flowing rugby. We'll hammer them.

How many excuses in one post?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:23 am

TBRITW ???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 27 Apr 2020, 10:00 am

The Best Referee In The World. C'mon tattie you know that.
Nigel reffed the Pro14 final at Parkhead and did not let the Ladyboys away with murder and mayhem at the breakdown. His vigilance at scrum time was a joy to behold.
There's nothing better than losing a final by three points. Especially when the last scrum of the match is your put in dead central, in their half and they're going backwards before it turns at a rate of knots. And they get the penalty.

The above may or may not have happened. I don't care. I'm SO over it. Really. I am.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 10:35 am

This is one of the reasons why I think we struggle at the top table Jimbo, we dont have TBRITW to coach the players on whatever directive of the day world rugby are looking at come match day.

We need a top ref to infiltrate World Rugby so he can come back and say "right lads, this weekend the refs have been told to look for neck rolls so dont do that. There was no mention of going off feet at the ruck so thats fair play this weekend"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 27 Apr 2020, 12:11 pm

Hope you're all doing well!

It's been strange to be away from watching the Pro14 for so long and missing out on all the European action. I know they keep talking about different ways to complete the various European leagues but I think I'm in the hit the re-set button camp as far as the Pro14 is concerned. Even as an Edinburgh fan, I just don't think it is going to be feasible or realistic to try and complete the season. Also, a straight up Leinster vs Edinburgh final wouldn't be fair. Edinburgh may be top but they still had some tough games ahead of them in the Pro14.

If the Pro14 could get next season off to a socially distant friendly start (initially) this autumn and the SRU could manage to get the Autumn internationals to go ahead that would be a success in my opinion.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 27 Apr 2020, 1:21 pm

I dont think theres any chance of AIs being played as the autumn window will likely be used to complete unfinsihed 6Ns games.

This puts us in a sticky wicket with only Wales to play.

England and Ireland have more 6Ns games to complete so may not invite in SH teams over and without a game against these boys its unlikely Sa, Oz or NZ will bother travelling.

Scotland may still play Japan but that may be all we get (other than Wales)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 8:58 am

I thought the 6N matches would be completed before the autumn internationals kick off, but would that be too soon? It may turn out to be a breathe of fresh air for the rugby calendar in a weird way. I guess all unions and world rugby will have to work together to start again.

I've been furloughed so I've had a lot of hobby time on my hands, so I decided to edit a highlights reel of Hamish Watson from the 6N so far.

I downloaded and rewatched the 4 games and made notes on where Hamish Watson contributed. It was quite an interesting watch and I feel I know a lot more about his responsibility within the new game plan. He was very good at holding up players in the tackle which he looked to do a lot. Some refs rewarded him while the ref in the Irish game was less forgiving. Overall I was very impressed with his performances and particularly his efforts against Curry. Every time they clashed they basically cancelled each other out. Those two in a starting Lions starting XV would be a terrific combination! Anyway, here is a private youtube link if you like seeing the Mish do his thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qZ9t0yuldk&feature=youtu.be (password - Lions2021).

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:04 am

How do you unlock the video? Can't see anywhere to put in the password. Also - why is it private??

Sounds like your video could do with a thread of its own!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:25 am

Ah Let me have a look, so when you hit the link you don't get prompted for a password? I'd usually use vimeo for password protected videos but they have a upload limit of 2GB for free accounts. I ripped the videos online somewhere and it's Rugby Pass footage so didn't want to piss anyone off copyright wise.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:30 am

Ah fair enough.

Yeah I didn't see any option to put in a password.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:33 am

Good news is the orginal footage aint rugby pass and they'd have ripped it from someone else so they can't moan at you Hug

The Mish is a highly under-rated player outside of Scotland. He's far better than any other 7 out there in the NH right now. Him at 7 and Curry at 6 would be great. With someone like Billy V or Stander at 8.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:47 am

Okay password protection has been removed, try this Wink https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qZ9t0yuldk&feature=youtu.be

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:50 am

Agreed on Watson as the best 7 in the NH.
I watched the Scotland v The Criminal Element match where one of the Aussie forwards was ordered off for flying over a ruck and smashing into Hamish. The really interesting thing is that from the very start they tried to take him out at every single ruck. It looked as if their strategy was to have someone impede him before he could engage in the ruck as they knew once he got into it, it was a lost cause. My favourite was their 7 (Hooper? )rolling out of the tackle, turning to face the ref, attempting to stand up, backing into Hamish, throwing his arms out wide and then sitting down on Hamish. All the time maintaining eye contact with the ref and miming "Look I'm trying to get out of here, sir. Honest". I like sevens who cheat like that, ther's an element of honest knavery about it. As the game went on the Convicts became more desperate to stop him and the red card was simply too blatant , and brutal, for the ref to ignore.
Speaking of ignoring....which three flankers will Gats prefer to Hamish if the tour goes ahead?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:24 am

Thst was an enjoyable watch

We actually did not have a bad 6N and it could havd been even better. We were going down to Cardiff on a roll and it may be z ehile brfore we get a bettef shot!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:24 am

Thanks for the video bsando. Well worth the watch. Hug

I rewatched the Scotland-Samoa WC match from 2015, yesterday. Possibly wee Frodo's best game in a Scotland shirt. I spotted one box kick in the whole match. Shocked
Probably not Dancer's finest match. He gave the ball away too many times. Noticeably, in the second half when Scotland stop playing off 10 and start running off 9 they keep the ball for longer periods and Samoa begin to melt down because they can't get their hands on the ball.

I think, like the Tory party and Brexit, we are in a period where almost every conversation about Scotland will be seen through the Finn/Toony lens. Watching that match; Samoa were very dangerous when they got the ball in broken play, they were not so good when they were starved of possession.
Dancer kept attempting little grubbers or chip kicks which seldom came off. Watching it I kept thinking of a recent BBC interview with Chuckles. He said, in effect, that the big difference in this year's 6Nations is that we're now smart enough to keep the ball and go through the phases, build up pressure on defences and wait for them to concede a penalty or to leave a gap through being overstretched. The implication was that a clear headed, controlling 10 made a lot of difference.

We're still waiting for the dust to finally settle but.... it's beginning to look like Toony said, "The way we were playing didn't work. This is what we'll do now." Cue tantrum from outrageously talented 10 who wants to continue doing things his way. Coach stands his ground. Team put in improved, controlled performances.
What next? I think Dancer will be told, "If you want to be the Scotland 10 this is what we expect. If you can't add this element of control to your game then you'll have to settle for being the best 10 at Racing."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:25 am

Haha I think Doris seems to be the talk of the town for Lions bolters, he does look like he has a lot of potential. One of Ritchie and Watson should hopefully make the cut though. Tipuric will be 31 by next summer while Watson will be 29, Curry 22, so maybe Gatland will take those 3 or one of Tiuric and Watson as an older head alongside Curry or Underhill. Last tour Gatland took 4 x Wales, 3 x Ireland, 2 x Eng in the backrow. Surely Watson and Ritchie can break into that 9 x back row players he'll be taking to SA.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:29 am

BigGee wrote:Thst was an enjoyable watch

We actually did not have a bad 6N and it could havd been even better. We were going down to Cardiff on a roll and it may be z ehile brfore we get a bettef shot!

Thanks! I am not really an editor of any kind so I am grateful for the positive feedback, it was a video for us more than anything else. I pretty much included all his contributions in each game apart form a few boring carries into stone wall defences.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next