The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

+20
Brendan
Tramptastic
demosthenes
LondonTiger
Welly
EST
TheMildlyFranticLlama
funnyExiledScot
formerly known as Sam
king_carlos
NeilyBroon
Kingshu
thebandwagonsociety
bsando
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
jimbopip
BigGee
tigertattie
24 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes - Page 2 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by RDW Mon 20 Apr 2020, 12:10 am

First topic message reminder :

Previous gibberish

https://www.606v2.com/t69038p1050-glasgow-and-edinburgh-banter-thread-no-23-new-season-new-thread

Fixtures

Glasgow - none

Edinburgh - none

Scotland - none

Sad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by RDW Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:38 am

Really good video. He was definitely on for player of the tournament - just ridiculous.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh ongoing banter thread 24 - Covid funtimes

Post by tigertattie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:42 am

Tell you something else in that video, the number of times in open play that Hoog is there with Watson to make the tackle!

He doesn’t smash the opposition back, but does what Hamish does and try to hold them up until the cavalry arrives. Even some kick chases were done by Hogg. I'm assuming that when he does this, Maitland slots into the full back position for a possible returned kick by the other team? Maybe Hogg only goes up when the kick is on the wing that Maitland isn’t on?

The more I see of the 6ns just been, bearing in mind to keep feet on the ground given we only beat an imploding France and a usual sub-par Italy, we actually did very well in all the games. Coming within a score of Ireland and England (England in honking conditions). I’m not saying we’re improving, but I am saying we looked a better team without Finn. I just hope he’s served his time on the naughty step and comes back a more controlled player who doesn’t believe his own hype.

And anyone who still wants “Toonie out” over Finn just needs to watch things back and also listen to the team. Toonie has the respect of the players while Finn, being their pal and all, just hasn’t!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 1:49 pm

RDW wrote:Really good video. He was definitely on for player of the tournament - just ridiculous.

Yeah I thought so too! He probably deserved POM against France, if you rewatch it he was so influential. I think he made his only error at the end just before they awarded it to Ritchie (who also had a good game). Cockers has really helped Watson and Ritchie develop and gain some more recognition.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 1:55 pm

tigertattie wrote:Tell you something else in that video, the number of times in open play that Hoog is there with Watson to make the tackle!

He doesn’t smash the opposition back, but does what Hamish does and try to hold them up until the cavalry arrives. Even some kick chases were done by Hogg. I'm assuming that when he does this, Maitland slots into the full back position for a possible returned kick by the other team? Maybe Hogg only goes up when the kick is on the wing that Maitland isn’t on?

The more I see of the 6ns just been, bearing in mind to keep feet on the ground given we only beat an imploding France and a usual sub-par Italy, we actually did very well in all the games. Coming within a score of Ireland and England (England in honking conditions). I’m not saying we’re improving, but I am saying we looked a better team without Finn. I just hope he’s served his time on the naughty step and comes back a more controlled player who doesn’t believe his own hype.

And anyone who still wants “Toonie out” over Finn just needs to watch things back and also listen to the team. Toonie has the respect of the players while Finn, being their pal and all, just hasn’t!

The lineout was consistently poor though, against Ireland and England especially. Ireland defended Scottish lineouts very easily and just had to glance across to know who was jumping sometimes then throw up POM or whoever to nick it. The ones that seemed to work best were short ones or short/middle then down to Watson to pass to Price. Not many driving mauls payed off. If Brown and McInally could just get a little better at their throws and the set calls could improve it would hopefully create more opportunities in attack. Too many attacking line outs were squandered in those first two games.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 28 Apr 2020, 3:25 pm

A few more departures announced from Glasgow

Nick Frisbee, which we all expected and probably won't be badly missed and the Nuke, less expected as he had a year to run on his contract. He has not been fit all season though and maybe that triggered some clause in his contract or maybe he just wanted to go home. He has been a half decent player for us when fit, but that has been a rare occasion unfortunately.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 28 Apr 2020, 4:08 pm

Yeah the lineouts have been poor. The England game needs written off though as no one could hit anything but the front jumper in that wind!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 Apr 2020, 4:09 pm

Both good players, especially the Tongan fella, shame about his injury problem he always looked formidable for Warriors. Will Glasgow be signing many more players for next season?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 28 Apr 2020, 4:35 pm

bsando wrote:Both good players, especially the Tongan fella, shame about his injury problem he always looked formidable for Warriors. Will Glasgow be signing many more players for next season?

I would not be expecting many/any big ticket signings now, except maybe Sean Maitland, as is being widely touted and maybe/hopefully Naka re-signed.

Other than that it is probably going to be a few of the promising academy kids being brought in and given their chance, which is maybe no bad thing in any case.

I would be very happy to see the likes of Smith, Sykes, McLean, Soloferin being brought in.

I expect we will need one more SH though, promising though Dobie is, he is not going to be able to hold the fort alone when the others are away with Scotland. He may bring in another youngster, maybe Barletto, who has been getting some time in France or move Niko back inside.

We clearly badly need another FH as well, still only really having Hastings and Horne and plenty would say the PH is not really a FH in any case. Not sure where they might be coming from, especially if Chamberlain goes to Edinburgh. Hastings will increasingly be involved with Scotland and I think Jacko and Thompson may well be done.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 28 Apr 2020, 11:22 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/dave-rennie-leinster-pro14/?v=79cba1185463

DRs take on how the season should end.

I have to say I tend to agree with him, either call it void or give the title to Leinster. A clean slate and hopefully start again in September is surely the best option and it would be better for the players to know that and genuinely have some downtime.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 28 Apr 2020, 11:30 pm

bsando wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Tell you something else in that video, the number of times in open play that Hoog is there with Watson to make the tackle!

The lineout was consistently poor though, against Ireland and England especially. Ireland defended Scottish lineouts very easily and just had to glance across to know who was jumping sometimes then throw up POM or whoever to nick it. The ones that seemed to work best were short ones or short/middle then down to Watson to pass to Price. Not many driving mauls payed off. If Brown and McInally could just get a little better at their throws and the set calls could improve it would hopefully create more opportunities in attack. Too many attacking line outs were squandered in those first two games.

I think someone posted analysis of our lineouts a while ago, and particularly our driving lineouts. The jist being our driving lineout is terrible, and it has been a very rare occurence to score a try from it for several years. More often than not it leads to a turnover. 2019 Wales game being the worst one - we kept kicking to the corners instead of taking points, and kept getting nowhere. Ireland 2020 was bad too.

That's Danny Wilson's bag so with him gone now hopefully we can get some fresh ideas!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:27 am

Think the last try we scored off a lineout was Dunbar's burst through the gap vs Ireland!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:30 am

tigertattie wrote:Think the last try we scored off a lineout was Dunbar's burst through the gap vs Ireland!!!

I thought it was before lifting was allowed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:06 am

BigGee wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/dave-rennie-leinster-pro14/?v=79cba1185463

I have to say I tend to agree with him, either call it void or give the title to Leinster. A clean slate and hopefully start again in September is surely the best option and it would be better for the players to know that and genuinely have some downtime.

I'd just end it now and when covid restrictions ease to the point where games can restart, kick off new season once teams have had an appropriate preseason buildup for fitness. Title goes to no-one, season is over, Leinster and Edinburgh finishing top of respective conferences.

Then the fun continues, who plays in Europe next season? Or do you write off a season of european games in order to create the space for next year regular season to be played? Would the leagues be able to survive without the euro-comps-money?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:28 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
BigGee wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/dave-rennie-leinster-pro14/?v=79cba1185463

I'd just end it now and when covid restrictions ease to the point where games can restart, kick off new season once teams have had an appropriate preseason buildup for fitness. Title goes to no-one, season is over, Leinster and Edinburgh finishing top of respective conferences.

Then the fun continues, who plays in Europe next season? Or do you write off a season of european games in order to create the space for next year regular season to be played? Would the leagues be able to survive without the euro-comps-money?

if you write off the league/season then the you need to write off the euro season also and start again either with the same pools of teams (replay the part complete season) or you re-draw the pools based on the league standings of the last completed season.

Annoying that would be given Edinburgh currently topping thier conference.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:53 am

There is no way the season will be completed enough to really fundementaly alter any league positions. The best case scenario would be some pkayoffs, based on current positions prior to next season starting and even that iis a long shot.

I suspect that is why DR is saying make Leinster the champs. What he probably means in more detail is tot up the standings as they are now that will determine league positions.

In terms of euro qualifying for next season, that is probably the fairest way.

Leinster have been outstsnding this season. Hard to see any real complaints about them being champs.

The main gripes might be about who does or does not get into the main euro draw.

Someone is going to be unhappy unfortunately but the Pro 14 do need to make a call and then everyone will know where they stand.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 29 Apr 2020, 12:11 pm

Who makes the call though Gee?

Pro 14 or Rugby Europe?

The Euro organsiers may say "each league is to send us x number of clubs, its up to each league how they choose each club" or they may say "qualification is based on current league positions" or "qualifications is based on the last completed competition"

My god can you imagine if someone makes the choice that Edinburgh dont get in to Europe next year, Dodson will be round pronto with his lawyers and threats of court action!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm

I think each league has to make its own call

The French have suspended sporting events till Sept already, so they are not going to play any more and may be the first to make the call

Using current lesgue positions seems the fairest way to me. I know s conference system like the Pro 14 can skew things a bit, but i can't really see any alternative, other than just use last years teams which seems less fair to me.

Either way, i wish someone would just call it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 29 Apr 2020, 3:05 pm

tigertattie wrote:Think the last try we scored off a lineout was Dunbar's burst through the gap vs Ireland!!!

Watson scored a peach of a try against SA in 2018 from a lineout. I'm guessing McInally's against France doesn't count haha.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2020, 8:49 pm

Just watched the Scotland v England U2os game from 2016, when we beat them at that level for the first time, 4 tries to nil as well.

Goodness me, did we have a good crop of youngsters that year, they have nearly all gone on to play pro rugby and a lot of them, Graham, Hastings, Cummings, Ritchie, Kinghorn, Hutchinson gone on to full caps with some of the others knocking on the door.

A vintage crop no doubt!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52479886

Matt Scott confirmed to be off to Leicester. A shame for Edinburgh fans, but at least he has gotten a decent move out of it. I expect it came down to money and Edinburgh not being willing to pay him what he thought he was worth.

His injury record over the past two seasons can't have helped him in that regard.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 29 Apr 2020, 10:56 pm

Think Rennie would be happy to end now, as I think with the run in Cheetahs have they would have pipped Glasgow for 3rd spot. This way at least he can say he left them in a play off spot.

I think that the Provinces will run an interpro Cup/league behind closed doors, on tg4/bbcni, to get some money coming in and players up to fitness again, ready for when games can be played in other countries, I'd say regions will do likewise. Glasgow Edinburgh best of 4 (2 home and away games) or the like.

For me the best idea is mark this down as a 19-21 season (as there will be player movement in June) Pick up when its safe to do so and finish the league. Then for 21/22 season just have each conference play each other home and away (no cross conference games) top 3 in each play for cup (top of each gets bye to home semi), 4th and 5th for a shield and 6th and 7th plate. About 13-15 games. Each Union then runs a domestic cup/league (6 games) Glasgow and Edinburgh can pair up with Bennetton and Zebre. Then back to normal for 22/23 season.

Personally I like the idea of no cross conference games, just home and away then playoffs against other conference and a domestic competition.
Domestic competition means that derbies are not lost, and since there are no cross conference games to accommodate these, Conference points totals are more balanced than present. And there is more silverware with a shield and plate plus your domestic cup/League.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:15 pm

BigGee wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52479886

Matt Scott confirmed to be off to Leicester. A shame for Edinburgh fans, but at least he has gotten a decent move out of it. I expect it came down to money and Edinburgh not being willing to pay him what he thought he was worth.

His injury record over the past two seasons can't have helped him in that regard.

Great move for Matt, and hopefully Leicester too. Leicester have been a bit of a shambles recently but with the players they have they should be capable of more. Hopefully his body can hold up to give them a run of games. A Ford-Scott-Tuilagi axis is pretty tasty!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 29 Apr 2020, 11:17 pm

Kingshu wrote:Think Rennie would be happy to end now, as I think with the run in Cheetahs have they would have pipped Glasgow for 3rd spot. This way at least he can say he left them in a play off spot.

I think that the Provinces will run an interpro Cup/league behind closed doors, on tg4/bbcni, to get some money coming in and players up to fitness again, ready for when games can be played in other countries, I'd say regions will do likewise. Glasgow Edinburgh best of 4 (2 home and away games) or the like.

For me the best idea is mark this down as a 19-21 season (as there will be player movement in June) Pick up when its safe to do so and finish the league.  Then for 21/22  season just have each conference play each other home and away (no cross conference games) top 3 in each play for cup (top of each gets bye to home semi),  4th and 5th for a shield and 6th and 7th plate. About 13-15 games. Each Union then runs a domestic cup/league (6 games) Glasgow and Edinburgh can pair up with Bennetton and Zebre. Then back to normal for 22/23 season.

Personally I like the idea of no cross conference games, just home and away then playoffs against other conference and a domestic competition.
Domestic competition means that derbies are not lost, and since there are no cross conference games to accommodate these, Conference points totals are more balanced than present. And there is more silverware with a shield and plate plus your domestic cup/League.

Makes sesnse in theory but I just can't see how anyone can make any definitive plans without knowing an actual start date. If it's June (highly unlikely) you probably could try and salvage this season. If it's August (slightly more likely) there's no chance or point.

I've mentioned the NRL here a few times - they've bludgeoned on and said they're starting the season up again at the end of May. All their chat was about agreeing it with broadcasters etc - not much chat in the way of working it with government and national health advice...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 30 Apr 2020, 7:42 am

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/official-edinburgh-podcast

Been catching up on the Edinburgh Rugby podcasts for some background noise while working - they're actually really entertaining so worth a listen if you're looking for variety. There's a good mix between immature banter and more serious rugby chat across the different guests. Blair Kinghorn is on a different planet and Dean, Farndale and Hoyland are a funny trio.

The McInally one was good to hear a bit more about his time transitioning to hooker, and Rory Lawson was a good guest. The Chunk and Schoeman ones are as entertaining as you could imagine.

Working my way up to the Brendan Laney one which will be interesting...!

It was weird listening to the earlier ones around the 6N before the virus hit - it was really strange just hearing some rugby chat and no one having the faintest idea what was coming just over the hill.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:15 pm

So I see Jason Baggott is leaving as well as Hickey from Edinburgh. This seems a bit short-sighted to me as that only leaves VDW? Is Chamberlain definitely moving to Edinburgh then? I mean Baggott can't be expensive and has hardly had a chance at club to prove himself, and it's not like Glasgow are flush with fly halves either, unless the plan is to move Baggott west and get Chamberlain in at Edinburgh?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2020, 5:08 am

Full list of Edinburgh departures

Matt Scott – 39 Scotland caps; 94 appearances; 21 tries
John Barclay – 76 Scotland caps; 14 appearances; 1 try
Dougie Fife – 8 Scotland caps; 125 appearances; 27 tries
Simon Hickey – 34 appearances; 186 points
Cammy Fenton – 19 appearances; 4 tries
Pietro Ceccarelli – 24 appearances
Jason Baggott – 4 appearances; 2 points
Sam Thomson – 8 appearances
Stan South – 1 appearance

This makes the Edinbrugh squad for next season (or the remainder of this season) something like:

LH - Schoeman, Sutherland, Bhatti
H - McInally, Willemse, Cherry
TH - Nel, Berghan, McCallum, Winning, Atalifo
L - Gilchrist, Toolis, McKenzie, Charmichael, Hodgson, CHH (technically)
Flanker - Ritchie, Watson, Crosbie, Millar, Kunavulo
No 8 - Mata, Bradbury, Haining

SH - Groom, Pyrgos, Shiel
SO - VDW Tumbleweed
IC - Dean, Taylor, Venter
OC - Bennett, JJ
W - VDM, Graham, Sau, Farndale, Blain
FB - Kinhgorn, Hoyland

I think the pack generally looks OK depth wise, although hooker looks a bit short during international windows (if there will be any!) - Fenton was a decent 4th choice so I'm surprised he's gone. Back row still looks incredibly strong, especially given we've only lost Barclay.

In the backs the glaring issue is standoff. I can understand offloading Hickey given he would have been on a lot of money, but it does ask the question of who replaces him. Baggott barely got a look-in, but it maybe says all we need to know that he was let go despite not having anyone else.  Jono Lance has been mentioned and would be a good solid pro to have.

Centres is lacking a bit of depth. Venter shouldn't be relied upon as an 18 year old but he may end up getting a run out at some point.

Back 3 is pretty strong.

Edinburgh have hinted there's a couple more signings to come - if we get an experienced 10 as a bare minimum then I think we're looking OK given the likely squeezing of budgets just now. We may end up with a revised fixture list that doesn't have a cross over over internationals and club games so squad depths might not be stretched as much.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 May 2020, 10:33 am

From a Scottish perspective I'd rather see Chamberlain recruited seeing as FH is such a vital position and Hastings has shown the difference having a good back-up makes on the international stage. We need to keep building depth there rather than sitting on our haunches. Look at hooker for instance, we have a big drop off after McInally and Brown, that's from complacency from having a decent stock of hookers previously. Same story at LH (thank God Sutherland has stepped up). I also think that Lance would just be a bit of a journeyman, he's also been kept out of the Worcs squad by Weir (frankly signing Weir up would be a better deal if Edinburgh want a solid choice, though if I was Weir I'd be telling Edinburgh to bugger off).

I don't know whether Scott is the problem or Cockers but he never seems to stay anywhere for long, so maybe it is Scott. It's a shame as he's a damn good player for Edinburgh to lose and I think the back play will suffer as a result. Taylor has looked good but he's not as savvy as Scott.

If Cockers wants to continue "building from the ground up" still then he needs to look at young talent with longevity who will want to stay at Edinburgh. Venter is a start at least and hopefully he will justify displacing Scott in the years, provided he stays. I'd like to see a couple move from the academy to the pro set-up. Perhaps Matthew Currie to pad out the OC a bit more? He's looked good at U20 this year. Assuming VDM and Graham get a Scotland call-up perhaps we'll see more of Blain this year, although expect it'll still be off the bench. Would also be good to perhaps see a bit of Rufus Mclean (less likely) as there's only Hoyland in the international windows (though expect Cockers would put another winger there as back-up).

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2020, 10:56 am

Who is this Chamberlain guy? There's a huge difference between a promising youngster who has never played pro rugby and a seasoned experienced pro.

(I fully expect this post to come back to haunt me like one of my first posts on this site querying who the hell this Matt Scott guy is)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 May 2020, 12:05 pm

RDW wrote:Who is this Chamberlain guy? There's a huge difference between a promising youngster who has never played pro rugby and a seasoned experienced pro.

(I fully expect this post to come back to haunt me like one of my first posts on this site querying who the hell this Matt Scott guy is)

He's been playing at FH for the U20s, looks very composed for such a young player and has a decent boot on him. Looks a little like Hastings in his style of play, I think he's ready to step up to pro. He's currently linked to Bristol bears academy and is also England qualified so would be more reason to get him north of the border. He was also part of the U18 squad who looked pretty good a couple of years ago.

Worth watching the Wales-Sco u20s highlights if you want to know more. Cockers certainly seems keen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWOVw9HRmo

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 May 2020, 12:08 pm

it's also worth noting he's playing for Hartpury in the English championship, which is a relatively large step towards pro rugby anyway. Moreso than the Scottish 1st Div set-up.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 May 2020, 12:30 pm

Well... Looks like it's Lance anyway. Bit of a meh signing IMO.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2020, 12:43 pm

I mean he's got plenty SR and recently AP experience so he's got plenty pedigrees. It's not like he's a random journeyman from the lower leagues like we used to sign.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 May 2020, 1:05 pm

Quite a prophetic post from me earlier - we've also signed s centre! This one very much is of the journeyman kind - Aussie Matt Gordon from London Scottish

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 01 May 2020, 1:11 pm

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/dth-van-der-merwe-to-leave-glasgow-warriors

Glasgow announcing their departures in dribs and drabs it seems. DTH is the next one to go, one that we have been expecting but still sad that such a great servant to the club won't get a send off on the pitch.

Interestingly he says that he is planning to play on for another couple of seasons, so maybe he has something else lined up, we all thought he was heading back to Canada to become a fireman.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 May 2020, 2:31 pm

Hardly inspiring for the youngsters. Stick with Edinburgh, you'll get plenty of opportunities to carry water for your rugby heroes. Do well and we'll let you be the lead mascot, you'll even get a free flag!

It's a bit chicken and egg with cockers, he says that players have to prove themselves whilst simultaneously not giving them the chance to prove themselves and signing players who are probably more expensive but a similar standard without the potential.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 01 May 2020, 3:01 pm

Word on the street is that following his successful 6Ns campaign Adam Hastings has been speaking with his dad and a move to Edinburgh is on the cards.

He wants to focus on playing regular rugby behind what is the Scottish pack so he can get a bit more of a platform to work from on a weekly basis and grow into his place as Scotland's more controlling 10.

This would explain why Edinburgh have shipped out Hickey and Baggot. I'm assuming that Glasgow will be looking at Pete Horne to fill the 10 gap over in the West.

Note: Ok so this post may be a joke to noise up Jimbo, but hey, it's Friday and I'm still having to work so I need some light relief.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 01 May 2020, 3:19 pm

Aye I heard that too, the box kicking gives him more time to spend maintaining his hair.

Also word on the grapevine is that Danny Wilson's managed to use his Welsh links to sign Dan Biggar for Glasgow next season. It'll be the second biggest deal since Dan Carter came over with Dave Rennie (he didn't play, he was definitely there though).

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 01 May 2020, 6:09 pm

Shame for DTH to not get a proper send off, he was so instrumental in the Pro12 2015 season Glasgow won the title. I wonder if he'll be playing in the MFL? Maybe he's going to be at Old Glory DC.

Lawrence seems a good signing for Edinburgh, hopefully he'll do a little better than Hickey did. Hickey was a solid option at 10 but Lawrence might add a little extra something that helps Edinburgh. No idea about the Aussie centre, lets see how he gets on. looks a pretty solid fella, hopefully has some gas too.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 01 May 2020, 10:07 pm

I endulged myself with the re run of the 2000 Calcutta cup win, when we unfortunately denied England a GS and sent Clive Woodward home in the huff moaning about the changing room!

It was almost unrecognisable from the game we watch today, punches thrown, high tackles, hookers hooking and some real rucking with both Bill McLaren and Jiffy both agreeing that Richard Hill got all he deserved lying around on the wrong side of the ball!

Austin Healy had a penalty reserved for talking back to the ref, so he was still a gob Poopie even back then, so glad some things remain constant at least!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 02 May 2020, 9:17 am

Let's begin with the important stuff.
Too often sports fans talk in hyperbole and superlatives: they are seldom right to do so. However....DTH what a legend. clap He will be missed. It's almost a shame he returned to Glasgow as he never really recovered the form he had before he left, but he deserves to be remembered as one of the all time great Glasgow players. A scoring rate of almost a try every other match! The semi final against Ulster where he defied medical advice, and signed an insurance waiver in order to play then scored the winning try in the dying seconds Shocked Shocked Shocked A legend.

Gee, I agree that watching the old matches is interesting. There is a sense in the old games that the players are exactly like us only fitter and faster and much, much better at rugby. I watched the David Sole , Finlay Calder Grand Slam match; the English props looked about 50, were fat and stamped on people at the rucks. Exactly like the fat boys I loved playing alongside. Both back rows spent the 80 minutes thumping people whenever they thought they could get away with it. I was drowning in nostalgia. I'm not 100% sure I prefer today's freaks of nature running into each other over and over again. Ad infinitum.

tigertattie, why would Haircut want to play for a second rate side? Look how long it has taken young Bennett to get over his sense of bewilderment and alienation. on the other hand....maybe Matt Scott will finally achieve his life's ambition and play for a side that is capable of winning a championship. chin But would we want him as fourth choice 12?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 03 May 2020, 9:45 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/low-key-jim-mallinder/?v=79cba1185463

We have not heard a lot from Jim mallinder since he became DOR in Scotland. He is clearly going to be a very differenct personality to Scott Johnson.

Anyway, he has finally surfaced and given a decent interview and a few hints about future strategy. It looks like a few academy players will be making the step up in the not to distant future, which would make sense form an opportunistic and a financial point of view.

Using the academy players more and letting them spend more time training with the pro sides, whilst getting game time in the Super 6 does seem like a no brainer to me as well. We might well see more of them in the sevens program as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 03 May 2020, 10:02 am

I quite like Mallinder - he comes across very much as a rugby man first with a 'blazer' being well down the list.

No one knows what the hell is going to happen in the coming months, but it's not too outrageous to say that youth players will have a good chance when things do pick up!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 03 May 2020, 7:48 pm

BigGee wrote:I endulged myself with the re run of the 2000 Calcutta cup win, when we unfortunately denied England a GS and sent Clive Woodward home in the huff moaning about the changing room!

It was almost unrecognisable from the game we watch today, punches thrown, high tackles, hookers hooking and some real rucking with both Bill McLaren and Jiffy both agreeing that Richard Hill got all he deserved lying around on the wrong side of the ball!

Austin Healy had a penalty reserved for talking back to the ref, so he was still a gob Poopie even back then, so glad some things remain constant at least!

I watched this today! I would have been 11 years old playing for Aboyne Rugby Club at the time before I moved back to Australia. It was a fascinating watch for the reasons you say Big Gee, how things have changed in 20 years time. It's funny just how unstructured the game was even into the professional era. The defensive line and number of players committed to rucks and mauls is so different now.

As you say the Richard Hill rucking part gave me a good laugh as did the great Bill McLaren. "He stuck to him like a leech in that tackle" ... "You can hardly believe what your eyes told you there but Scotland actually allowed that ball to bounce on a wet pitch" - On the restart after Hodge penalty to go 12-10 up Laugh Sadly that was a sign of things to come in terms of Scotland and restarts

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 03 May 2020, 11:03 pm

bsando wrote:
BigGee wrote:I endulged myself with the re run of the 2000 Calcutta cup win, when we unfortunately denied England a GS and sent Clive Woodward home in the huff moaning about the changing room!

I watched this today! I would have been 11 years old playing for Aboyne Rugby Club at the time before I moved back to Australia. It was a fascinating watch for the reasons you say Big Gee, how things have changed in 20 years time. It's funny just how unstructured the game was even into the professional era. The defensive line and number of players committed to rucks and mauls is so different now.

As you say the Richard Hill rucking part gave me a good laugh as did the great Bill McLaren. "He stuck to him like a leech in that tackle" ... "You can hardly believe what your eyes told you there but Scotland actually allowed that ball to bounce on a wet pitch" - On the restart after Hodge penalty to go 12-10 up Laugh Sadly that was a sign of things to come in terms of Scotland and restarts

I actually played a game for Aboyne once.

A friend of mine, Archie, who I used to play with in East London, moved back up north to Banchory and I used to go up and stay with them now and again. He played for Aboyne and roped me into playing against Inverurie one time when I was up. I scored three tries and they seemed a bit disappointed when I told them I was not available for the next weekend!

That was about 1989, so it does not sound as if you were born then. I was going to ask if you if you were playing in that game!

I had some good times up there, often took my bike up with me and the time I played I actually cycled up from Newcastle. It was mid October and I remember going over Glen Shee and getting caught in a blizzard as I neared the top, then came down the other side to Braemar with hands so frozen that I could hardly pull the brakes. I don't think I have ever been so cold in my life.

I have lost touch with them now and have not been up that way for many years, but lots of good memories.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 03 May 2020, 11:39 pm

BigGee wrote:
bsando wrote:

I actually played a game for Aboyne once.

A friend of mine, Archie, who I used to play with in East London, moved back up north to Banchory and I used to go up and stay with them now and again. He played for Aboyne and roped me into playing against Inverurie one time when I was up. I scored three tries and they seemed a bit disappointed when I told them I was not available for the next weekend!

That was about 1989, so it does not sound as if you were born then. I was going to ask if you if you were playing in that game!

I had some good times up there, often took my bike up with me and the time I played I actually cycled up from Newcastle. It was mid October and I remember going over Glen Shee and getting caught in a blizzard as I neared the top, then came down the other side to Braemar with hands so frozen that I could hardly pull the brakes. I don't think I have ever been so cold in my life.

I have lost touch with them now and have not been up that way for many years, but lots of good memories.

Ooh a local grudge match - bet that was heated with a big police presence!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 03 May 2020, 11:53 pm

https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status/1256889680634818560?s=19

Pretty harrowing read this about Kieran Low

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 04 May 2020, 9:24 am

You'd not think that this was still an issue in pro rugby these days.

Very much a throwback to amateur rugby and boys playing more for the drinking aspect than the playing one.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 04 May 2020, 9:43 am

I think you've picked it up wrong tattle - he had serious alcohol and painkillers addiction and mental health issues resulting from...

This is nothing to do with rugby lads on the lash.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 04 May 2020, 10:03 am

Maybe I need to read the whole article

It looked like there was a culture at irish on not looking after the players and Booze was used as a crutch
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 04 May 2020, 10:08 am

tigertattie wrote:Maybe I need to read the whole article

It looked like there was a culture at irish on not looking after the players and Booze was used as a crutch

That's probably what started it but it spiraled way out of control, coinciding with just before he arrived at Glasgow.

We always wondered why we didn't really hear much about him at Glasgow - now we know why.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next