The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most expensive club

+3
I'm never wrong
super_realist
beninho
7 posters

Go down

Most expensive club Empty Most expensive club

Post by beninho Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:05 am

I just checked my online golf email, which comes most days. And say a putter on sake at £269. Which, to me is pretty expensive. I know it's not to others. So was wondering what's the most expensive single club or item you've brought?

Also, I'm guessing club manufacturers will take a pounding, so will the never ending churn of new and "better" clubs, come to a halt?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Most expensive club Empty Re: Most expensive club

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 am

beninho wrote:I just checked my online golf email, which comes most days. And say a putter on sake at £269. Which, to me is pretty expensive. I know it's not to others. So was wondering what's the most expensive single club or item you've brought?

Also, I'm guessing club manufacturers will take a pounding, so will the never ending churn of new and "better" clubs, come to a halt?

Paid 500 for a driver and 280 for a putter.
The thing about putters is that it's the club you use most often. If there is one club you should be prepared to shell out for (providing it suits you) it is 100% the putter, however people are incredibly miserly when it comes to putters because they don't appreciate its importance.
You might use a driver 10-12 times a round at most, but you'll use a putter 25-40 times a round depending on your skill level.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 am

Apart from buying a set of clubs, bag and trolley when I took up the game again, the biggest single item since then is one of those distance devices; a Garmin G8 which not only gives distances etc, but can record your score. There is also the facility for it to tell you what club to take if you have set it up. But I haven't done this.

The golf manager at my club buys a lot of limited edition clubs. He says it is an investment as they will appreciate in value. I hope, for his sake, they do. £269 is small beer for him.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:24 am

To answer my own question, I think my current driver was about £129. Which apart from the set is probably the most expensive. I generally wait for birthdays and Christmas and ask the wife or other family members. Last Christmas was a pig, which was about £140.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:49 am

super_realist wrote:
The thing about putters is that it's the club you use most often. If there is one club you should be prepared to shell out for (providing it suits you) it is 100% the putter, however people are incredibly miserly when it comes to putters because they don't appreciate its importance.
You might use a driver 10-12 times a round at most, but you'll use a putter 25-40 times a round depending on your skill level.

Fully understand that - but surely the technology is far less important in a putter? When I was playing I spent around £300 on a driver - but for years used a putter I won in a raffle! It suited me but wasn't particularly high tech - and as a high handicap chopper I was a far better putter than most of my playing partners off much lower handicaps

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:55 am

Depends what works for you Davie. I'm not saying spending loads guarantees you'll putt better, but if you find a putter be it £10 or £300 and it works better than anything else, you shouldn't be afraid to spend a bit.
I've got a fair few putters, actually was gifted a nice Scotty Newport which is excellent on slower links greens, while I find some other putters I have work better in different circumstances.
Some interesting science involved in face design especially in regard to Evnroll putters which I have a couple of too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:17 am

Not sure what my most expensive purchase will have been. But probably on a set of irons.

I think my current putter was about £150 and I bought my current driver second hand for £180.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:27 am

McLaren wrote:Not sure what my most expensive purchase will have been. But probably on a set of irons.

I think my current putter was about £150 and I bought my current driver second hand for £180.

Iron sets are certainly expensive. That would be my biggest outlay too, but on individual clubs it is drivers and putters.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:29 am

I usually find the minute you pay for a club it stops working.Putters agree I have a Oddesey which I'm sure was over £100 way back luvly bit of kit.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:31 am

dynamark wrote:I usually find the minute you pay for a club it stops working.Putters agree I have a Oddesey which I'm sure was over £100 way back luvly bit of kit.

Ha ha, that is so true. Works great in the fitting, not so well in real life.
Strangely, my two most reliable clubs are actually the cheapest and oldest clubs I have in the bag.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:31 pm

When you borrow a club it works like a dream and then you part with the readies and it stops working. My favourite is a Taylor made burner bubble 5 wood borrowed from a mate about 10 years ago and he is not getting it back.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:39 am

Rick Shiels testing a £4,000 driver. HERE

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:03 am

Looks like a piece of sh*t.
Gold is such a frightful colour.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat May 02, 2020 11:04 am

Drivers, putters and fairway woods are always going to be the most expensive clubs in the bag.

A set of irons will be the biggest purchase though. I think I spent about £500 on my irons, that would have been about 8 years ago.

My wedges are all 30+ years old. I have tried new Vokeys and Clevelands, but I don't feel as confident, so I gravitate back to the old ones.

If I play well on my course, then I'll only generally use about 6 or 7 of the 14 in my bag. And depending on the wind, it'll always be the same 6 or 7. Driver, 5 wood, 5 iron, 8 iron, 55° wedge and putter. If the wind is from the east or north, then it's driver, 5 wood, 4 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, 55° wedge and putter. I'm pretty sure I haven't hit my 6 iron this year. I don't normally have them in the bag, but there's a 3 wood, 2 iron, some alternative wedges and a couple of other putters too.

I played a 4 clubs + putter in Feb, and managed 40 points without ever feeling I didn't have pretty much the right club. I just omitted the 5 wood - made me wonder my I haul at least 7 of the 14 clubs out with me.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Just had a thought on this thread could we alter it to what is the most expensive club you have played Ie. cost for a round off golf.
Thinking back I remember paying £55 for Woburn but that was 2 rounds and lunch it was a while back(Alex Hay was in the shop1)Same time Wentworth was about £30 for the same deal.
Played some other pricy tracks but usually on a hospitality or charity days so not paying full whack.
Tried to get on Valderamma but they wouldn't let me in the gate they have standards.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down