The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+17
BlueCoverman
skiddy
Davie
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
Roller_Coaster
George1507
pedro
I'm never wrong
westisbest
McLaren
JAS
dynamark
navyblueshorts
beninho
Soul Requiem
super_realist
21 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 19 May 2020, 7:58 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm fine with immigration of people who bring value to the country in one way or another, who wouldn't be? What I'm not in favour of is people who bring nothing to the country in terms of skills, education, money etc. I wouldn't expect the many millions of useless Britons to be able to go the other way either just for balance.

What policy is has actively being engaged to stop people of a particular race unable to enter the country anyway? I've not seen any.


super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down


Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 May 2020, 10:26 am

Could do w/ a BigM. Have to laugh at commentary re. them being scheisse food. Carbs, protein, fats, salad. Tasty to boot. Pretty balanced, I'd say. Eat them every day? Nope. Too many calories for most people. Queue for ~1 hour?? Must be joking.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 21 May 2020, 10:55 am

westisbest wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:I like the occasional maccas. Doubt I'd queue for an hour though.

I used grab one before my weekly trip to the cinema (oh how I miss that) if I was short on time but if I was having to wait longer than five minutes for food it really isn't worth the effort.

Looking forward to when the cinemas re open.
Was looking forward to seeing Top Gun.

I've probably got that on betamax West if you're that desperate to see it Wink

Roller_Coaster

Posts : 2572
Join date : 2012-06-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 11:17 am

Steve Coogan showing he's an idiot furloughing his gardener and housekeeper in his 4 million pound mansion.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Thu 21 May 2020, 12:56 pm

He may have a £4m mortgage.
George Im 66 and a mate took me to McD in Leicester Square told me about the time limit and I could easily have been 27 or so 40 years probably correct.
I think Subway and Dominos have more outlets over here now on franchise based business models.I went for interview at Dominos Milton Keynes HQ about 15 years back(project manager not pizza chef)and the boss was nuts sats in his office beard and cowboy hat playing the guitar.

dynamark

Posts : 1996
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 21 May 2020, 1:23 pm

I have never had a Subway. The shops always have a weird smell. You just shouldn't compromise on the quality of sandwich fillings.

The thing with McDonalds is that they are clearly not the best burger you could get but like Navy said they tick a lot of boxes. I am a bit of a food snob and went through a phase of refusing to eat McDonalds, but got "forced" to after a few years of my boycott and had to admit it was perfectly acceptable for a £5. What is a worse burger crime is those silly gourmet burgers where the patties are too thick, are filled with strange additions, the stack is too high and they come with thick cut chips. I like the recent trend where better burger places are reverting back to the smashed patty and keeping it simple.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 21 May 2020, 1:25 pm

Super

I am the same. Me and my wife pretty much exclusively watch the foreign language stuff on netflix, especially the euro and scandi crime stuff.

Netflix is also really good for anime at the moment.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 1:26 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:
westisbest wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:I like the occasional maccas. Doubt I'd queue for an hour though.

I used grab one before my weekly trip to the cinema (oh how I miss that) if I was short on time but if I was having to wait longer than five minutes for food it really isn't worth the effort.

Looking forward to when the cinemas re open.
Was looking forward to seeing Top Gun.

I've probably got that on betamax West if you're that desperate to see it Wink

Ha. Trailer looks good.

On watching more tv than usual. Am a few episodes into season 3 of Ozark. Was highly recommended by a few people. It’s decent.

Watching season 3 of Killing Eve. And SAS on a Monday night.

Bad Boys For Life is also on my film list.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 1:28 pm

McLaren wrote:I have never had a Subway. The shops always have a weird smell.  You just shouldn't compromise on the quality of sandwich fillings.

The thing with McDonalds is that they are clearly not the best burger you could get but like Navy said they tick a lot of boxes. I am a bit of a food snob and went through a phase of refusing to eat McDonalds, but got "forced" to after a few years of my boycott and had to admit it was perfectly acceptable for a £5. What is a worse burger crime is those silly gourmet burgers where the patties are too thick, are filled with strange additions, the stack is too high and they come with thick cut chips. I like the recent trend where better burger places are reverting back to the smashed patty and keeping it simple.

I enjoy a good subway OK

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 May 2020, 1:32 pm

McLaren wrote:I have never had a Subway. The shops always have a weird smell.  You just shouldn't compromise on the quality of sandwich fillings.

The thing with McDonalds is that they are clearly not the best burger you could get but like Navy said they tick a lot of boxes. I am a bit of a food snob and went through a phase of refusing to eat McDonalds, but got "forced" to after a few years of my boycott and had to admit it was perfectly acceptable for a £5. What is a worse burger crime is those silly gourmet burgers where the patties are too thick, are filled with strange additions, the stack is too high and they come with thick cut chips. I like the recent trend where better burger places are reverting back to the smashed patty and keeping it simple.

Stop the press i'm in agreement with Mac for the first time.

Gourmet burgers are an abomination and I do not want juice oozing out of my burger the moment I bite into it. If I do them myself I go for a standard bun, I roll the pattie fairly flat, add maybe tomato and lettuce with a simple sauce if i'm feeling extravagant, you don't need to do anything more than for it is just a bloody burger.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5578
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 1:32 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I am the same. Me and my wife pretty much exclusively watch the foreign language stuff on netflix, especially the euro and scandi crime stuff.  

Netflix is also really good for anime at the moment.

Trouble is that 90% of Netflix and Amazon is absolute excrement and I've lost count of the number of things I've tried to watch but realised they actually were rubbish, that goes for Designated Survivor, Breaking Bad and all these supposedly amazing series which are just terrible.

Have you watched Borderliner Mac, not to be confused with the not as good Bordertown?

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu 21 May 2020, 1:40 pm

Narcos Mexico is good. Always sunny in philadelphia is funny. The wire is still a classic and worth a watch if not seen. Remember enjoying the Sophie grabol one, can't remember what it was called! The first season of homeland was superb, it then dropped but got better.

Been watching stath lets flats, which is funny.

I do like a 5 guys burger.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 21 May 2020, 1:41 pm

No don't think I have watched borderliner. I have definitely watched Bordertown.


No cheese on your burger? :headscratch:
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 1:43 pm

Borderline is definitely better.

I also have never had a Subway, KFC, 5 Guys etc.
I did once try to buy a Subway but it took far too long and like Mac said the place smelled repulsive.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 21 May 2020, 1:44 pm

super_realist wrote:This has certainly given me the opportunity to watch more stuff I wouldn't normally watch (steady Mac). There's a lot of good foreign language crime drama on Netflix from Russia, South Korea, Finland, Sweden etc. Find it much harder to watch something which has been dubbed into English though like a bad Bruce Lee film.

Eh?? There is no such thing as a bad Bruce Lee film :-p Badly dubbed I'll give you though

Incidentally when I was quite deep into my Martial Arts phase I did watch all sorts of related content and documentaries, I remember watching a documentary on Lee and him going on about the animosity between China and Japan (a recurring theme in his movies) and how the Japanese looked down on the Chinese calling them the "dirty men of Asia" - Not much changed there then!!

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 1:46 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:This has certainly given me the opportunity to watch more stuff I wouldn't normally watch (steady Mac). There's a lot of good foreign language crime drama on Netflix from Russia, South Korea, Finland, Sweden etc. Find it much harder to watch something which has been dubbed into English though like a bad Bruce Lee film.

Eh?? There is no such thing as a bad Bruce Lee film :-p Badly dubbed I'll give you though

Incidentally when I was quite deep into my Martial Arts phase I did watch all sorts of related content and documentaries, I remember watching a documentary on Lee and him going on about the animosity between China and Japan (a recurring theme in his movies) and how the Japanese looked down on the Chinese calling them the "dirty men of Asia" - Not much changed there then!!

That's what I mean, very badly dubbed. The acting of these voice actors is usually rubbish. I'd much rather it was subtitled.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 May 2020, 1:49 pm

McLaren wrote:No don't think I have watched borderliner. I have definitely watched Bordertown.


No cheese on your burger? Headscratch

#allergies

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5578
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 21 May 2020, 1:49 pm

[quote="westisbest"
Watching season 3 of Killing Eve. And SAS on a Monday night.

Bad Boys For Life is also on my film list.[/quote]

The SAS programme Monday night I'd say is the highlight of the TV week at the moment. Not a fan of Reality shows in general but this one is an exception. The setting/location is awesome. It's mostly on Raasay but I'm sure for part of it they were on Skye this week.

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 21 May 2020, 1:50 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:This has certainly given me the opportunity to watch more stuff I wouldn't normally watch (steady Mac). There's a lot of good foreign language crime drama on Netflix from Russia, South Korea, Finland, Sweden etc. Find it much harder to watch something which has been dubbed into English though like a bad Bruce Lee film.

Eh?? There is no such thing as a bad Bruce Lee film :-p Badly dubbed I'll give you though

Incidentally when I was quite deep into my Martial Arts phase I did watch all sorts of related content and documentaries, I remember watching a documentary on Lee and him going on about the animosity between China and Japan (a recurring theme in his movies) and how the Japanese looked down on the Chinese calling them the "dirty men of Asia" - Not much changed there then!!

Seen the Ip Man films JAS?

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5578
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 1:52 pm

What martial arts did you do JAS?

Am a big fan. Did Judo and Karate in my younger days.

Did Krav Maga for about 6 weeks a couple of years ago, but my knee injury resurfaced. Enjoyed that to.

Would love to return to some kind of martial arts. See how the knee holds up in the next few months.

I know it’s not the same as going to the classes, but I watch a lot of UFC and pick up some moves from that.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 1:55 pm

JAS wrote:[quote="westisbest"
Watching season 3 of Killing Eve. And SAS on a Monday night.

Bad Boys For Life is also on my film list.

The SAS programme Monday night I'd say is the highlight of the TV week at the moment. Not a fan of Reality shows in general but this one is an exception. The setting/location is awesome. It's mostly on Raasay but I'm sure for part of it they were on Skye this week.[/quote]

It’s enjoyable.

Thought Fashanu was going to do better, but the heights got to him.
Bellew looked like he was going to lose it a few times.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 21 May 2020, 1:57 pm

Aren't martial arts the homeopathy of the sporting world?
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 1:59 pm

westisbest wrote:
JAS wrote:[quote="westisbest"
Watching season 3 of Killing Eve. And SAS on a Monday night.

Bad Boys For Life is also on my film list.

The SAS programme Monday night I'd say is the highlight of the TV week at the moment. Not a fan of Reality shows in general but this one is an exception. The setting/location is awesome. It's mostly on Raasay but I'm sure for part of it they were on Skye this week.

It’s enjoyable.

Thought Fashanu was going to do better, but the heights got to him.
Bellew looked like he was going to lose it a few times.[/quote]

Aoooooga

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 2:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
westisbest wrote:
JAS wrote:[quote="westisbest"
Watching season 3 of Killing Eve. And SAS on a Monday night.

Bad Boys For Life is also on my film list.

The SAS programme Monday night I'd say is the highlight of the TV week at the moment. Not a fan of Reality shows in general but this one is an exception. The setting/location is awesome. It's mostly on Raasay but I'm sure for part of it they were on Skye this week.

It’s enjoyable.

Thought Fashanu was going to do better, but the heights got to him.
Bellew looked like he was going to lose it a few times.

Aoooooga[/quote]

??

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu 21 May 2020, 2:07 pm

Awooga, surely.

Fash the bash!

I've quite enjoyed Harry's heroes the last few days. These old footvallers all have troubles. Liked Merson, not liked ruddock. He is like a guy on the stag fmdo, all loud and mouthy, thinks he's the life and soul, people act like they think he's great, while actually thinking he's a cck.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 2:09 pm

Gladiators?

Missed that Ben. Will watch on catch up.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 2:13 pm

Yes, I meant awoooooga.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Thu 21 May 2020, 2:33 pm

Mac very correct that is an alien smell from subway so its not just me who smelt it.
If you go to US some of the roadside diners are pretty good I'm thinking wendys for breakfast
plus some decent seafood

dynamark

Posts : 1996
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 2:39 pm

Wendy's is repulsive, a group of us went to one in California last year and we were all laughing at how bad it was

Edit. Actually I'm thinking of Denny's. Revolting

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 21 May 2020, 3:08 pm

westisbest wrote:What martial arts did you do JAS?

Am a big fan. Did Judo and Karate in my younger days.

Did Krav Maga for about 6 weeks a couple of years ago, but my knee injury resurfaced. Enjoyed that to.

Would love to return to some kind of martial arts. See how the knee holds up in the next few months.

I know it’s not the same as going to the classes, but I watch a lot of UFC and pick up some moves from that.

Did Shotokan Karate for over 20 years, also dabbled in Chinese kickboxing, Shaolin longfist and Wing Chun for a few months. I was getting ready for my 2nd Dan at the time and just wanted a bit more breadth. Used to teach Shotokan as well. Eventually got to 4th dan before packing it in.

A lot of the top shotokan guys worked as doormen and quite a few recognised that while Shotokan gives you a great grounding it’s a bit limiting purely on its own especially on the street.

Our top guy was quite friendly with Geoff Thomson (3second fighter, pavement arena & clubbed the movie) and ran a series of street self defence seminars which I found to be fascinating stuff.

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 May 2020, 3:13 pm

I think I live in the biggest town in the US without a McD's. No BK or W's either. Thankful for small mercies.


kwinigolfer

Posts : 26475
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 3:25 pm

JAS wrote:
westisbest wrote:What martial arts did you do JAS?

Am a big fan. Did Judo and Karate in my younger days.

Did Krav Maga for about 6 weeks a couple of years ago, but my knee injury resurfaced. Enjoyed that to.

Would love to return to some kind of martial arts. See how the knee holds up in the next few months.

I know it’s not the same as going to the classes, but I watch a lot of UFC and pick up some moves from that.

Did Shotokan Karate for over 20 years, also dabbled in Chinese kickboxing, Shaolin longfist  and Wing Chun for a few months. I was getting ready for my 2nd Dan at the time and just wanted a bit more breadth. Used to teach Shotokan as well.  Eventually got to 4th dan before packing it in.



A lot of the top shotokan guys worked as doormen and quite a few recognised that while Shotokan gives you a great grounding it’s a bit limiting purely on its own especially on the street.

Our top guy was quite friendly with Geoff Thomson (3second fighter, pavement arena & clubbed the movie) and ran a series of street self defence seminars which I found to be fascinating stuff.

Great stuff. Really enjoy watching martial arts.


Guy I used to work with did wing chun.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 21 May 2020, 3:57 pm

westisbest wrote:
JAS wrote:
westisbest wrote:What martial arts did you do JAS?

Am a big fan. Did Judo and Karate in my younger days.

Did Krav Maga for about 6 weeks a couple of years ago, but my knee injury resurfaced. Enjoyed that to.

Would love to return to some kind of martial arts. See how the knee holds up in the next few months.

I know it’s not the same as going to the classes, but I watch a lot of UFC and pick up some moves from that.

Did Shotokan Karate for over 20 years, also dabbled in Chinese kickboxing, Shaolin longfist  and Wing Chun for a few months. I was getting ready for my 2nd Dan at the time and just wanted a bit more breadth. Used to teach Shotokan as well.  Eventually got to 4th dan before packing it in.



A lot of the top shotokan guys worked as doormen and quite a few recognised that while Shotokan gives you a great grounding it’s a bit limiting purely on its own especially on the street.

Our top guy was quite friendly with Geoff Thomson (3second fighter, pavement arena & clubbed the movie) and ran a series of street self defence seminars which I found to be fascinating stuff.

Great stuff. Really enjoy watching martial arts.


Guy I used to work with did wing chun.

I do miss it to be fair, between training & teaching I was in a dojo 6 days a week. This guy Ged (presenting) was my mentor in karate, old school and very well known in Shotokan circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw0nWpbksQE

He wasn't my regular instructor but he used to come down from Salford and deliver Brown & Black Belt grading lessons and other courses so have probably trained with him over a 100 times.

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu 21 May 2020, 4:08 pm

Super

As my rational Internet atheist buddy are you really going to hold your tongue on this martial arts chat?
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 21 May 2020, 4:13 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

As my rational Internet atheist buddy are you really going to hold your tongue on this martial arts chat?

I'm in a generous mood. It's not for me, but at least it's an activity rather than being a hobby when someone sits down and watch someone else play a sport.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Thu 21 May 2020, 5:03 pm

Just a hunch but I'd guess it wouldn't be your bag either Mac?

I'd say it's made me fitter than I would otherwise have been, it gave me at least some ability to cope with some unpleasant situations but I'd say the most important bit is that it does breed a degree of self confidence, self reliance and resilience.

Have to say though the brutality of some of the training and sparring sessions would shock the average Guardian reader into wanting to get it banned :-p


Last edited by JAS on Thu 21 May 2020, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 9:01 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

As my rational Internet atheist buddy are you really going to hold your tongue on this martial arts chat?

Whats wring with martial arts Mac?
Takes discipline, respect and hard work.

Also a great form of fitness. And great way of protecting yourself and others.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Thu 21 May 2020, 9:03 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

As my rational Internet atheist buddy are you really going to hold your tongue on this martial arts chat?

I'm in a generous mood. It's not for me, but at least it's an activity rather than being a hobby when someone sits down and watch someone else play a sport.

F all wrong with that either.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Thu 21 May 2020, 11:42 pm

Bruce Lee was pretty cool. So was Jackie Chan in his younger days, before he went to Hollywood and tried to be funny.
The weird dubbing of the movies, as well as the crazy sound effects, were all part of the charm.

pedro

Posts : 7240
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Thu 21 May 2020, 11:52 pm

Can’t believe how many big movie stars that came from martial arts. Chuck Norris, Seagal, Dolph Lundgren, J-C v Damme, to name a few. All of them bad actors though.

pedro

Posts : 7240
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 May 2020, 6:19 am

westisbest wrote:
super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

As my rational Internet atheist buddy are you really going to hold your tongue on this martial arts chat?

I'm in a generous mood. It's not for me, but at least it's an activity rather than being a hobby when someone sits down and watch someone else play a sport.

F all wrong with that either.

It's not a great use of your time is the point and develops no skill or achievement. It's funny how such fans will have a go at other things like Trainspotting (I'm not a trainspotter) but vicariously living your life through a football club is far more sad in my opinion. At least a trainspotter is out doing something. The sort of person who attends or watches every match, has a football related private number plate, has a football tattoo, wears a shirt out and about, gets married on the centre spot of their club etc is a far more sad individual. If someone like a plane spotter had a plane private number plate, plane tattoo or wore a Boeing T shirt they'd be laughed at, why is being an armchair fan of anything any better? We've all got our quirks, but I'm far more sympathetic to someone who is doing something like martial arts, getting fit, learning a skill that could be applied somewhere is far more credible than the fat git from Newcastle who turns up bare chested at St James Park every fortnight to cheer on a bunch of people who don't even care that he exists.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Fri 22 May 2020, 8:08 am

We know your not a football fan, but thanks for reaffirming it.

And mate, you play golf. We all play golf, think its easy to accept a lot of people find it a very dull sport!

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 May 2020, 8:16 am

beninho wrote:We know your not a football fan, but thanks for reaffirming it.

And mate, you play golf. We all play golf, think its easy to accept a lot of people find it a very dull sport!

Exactly, I can see why some would find it incredibly dull,  but as usual you are missing the point. Golf is boring to most people but at least it's out doing something and actively taking part in something, i'm getting better at the game, competing, I'm out in the open air etc . It's far better to be doing something  rather than just watch someone else doing it. There's no achievement to being a fan of something because you don't influence what happens. It's fine if it's balanced, but you get people where it is their entire lives and that is where it becomes pathetic and why I won't have a go at someone like JAS for being a Martial Arts enthusiast. It's not for me, but I can understand why someone likes it, I don't really understand why someone's life revolves around someone else playing football.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Fri 22 May 2020, 8:33 am

Was that your point?

Your point appeared to be calling people who follow football teams sad, for following football teams. Not a mention of playing sport. Though ubsure how going out to watch planes is any better then going out to watch football.

But, non football fan doesn't get football fandom. Which is fine.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Fri 22 May 2020, 8:41 am

Would a lot of football fans, who sit on the couch to watch their team or go to games, not play football on the weekends. Saturday and Sunday league. A hell of a lot do.

Even the ‘fat’ ones to use your word.
They are watching something they love, and playing it to.

If they are not playing in leagues, I’m sure they are just having a kick around in the park.

I used to play Sunday league football, (How I got my damn knee injury). There were some very good players. On our team or other teams. So are they not bettering their game by playing every week.

Same as you going out and playing/bettering your golf game.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 22 May 2020, 8:42 am

I don't see the problem with fans getting emotionally involved in sport, i'm a huge rugby fan and was distraught when England lost the world cup final on the flip side I can imagine a lot of Scots and Welsh were delighted, tribalism in sport when when done in good spirits is a good thing.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5578
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Fri 22 May 2020, 8:47 am

Big rugby fan myself soul.
South Africa played very well in that final.

England were very good to beat the All Blacks in the semi.

Was a decent World Cup all round.

Looking forward to the lions tour next year, all being well.

Should be a good tour.

Interesting that the 3 times South Africa have won the World Cup, they are the team that the lions are due to play.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 22 May 2020, 8:55 am

westisbest wrote:Big rugby fan myself soul.
South Africa played very well in that final.

England were very good to beat the All Blacks in the semi.

Was a decent World Cup all round.

Looking forward to the lions tour next year, all being well.

Should be a good tour.

Interesting that the 3 times South Africa have won the World Cup, they are the team that the lions are due to play.

First time in a long time that the best team didn't win the world cup in my opinion, South Africa did very well on the day and deserved to win but for me are a way behind New Zealand and England who bottled it to an extent. You used to play right Westi?

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5578
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 May 2020, 8:58 am

beninho wrote:Was that your point?

Your point appeared to be calling people who follow football teams sad, for following football teams. Not a mention of playing sport.  Though ubsure how going out to watch planes is any better then going out to watch football.

But, non football fan doesn't get football fandom. Which is fine.

Mac was having a go at JAS for being into martial arts, my point was that it's a more productive use of time than sitting on your arse watching other people playing football, and yes, you're right, watching planes is not a great deal better, but at least it's going somewhere and not just watching TV.

I'm fine with fandom, just not fine with it when it the only thing in people's lives which matters and that they think it's better than anything else.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 May 2020, 9:00 am

westisbest wrote:Would a lot of football fans, who sit on the couch to watch their team or go to games, not play football on the weekends. Saturday and Sunday league. A hell of a lot do.

Even the ‘fat’ ones to use your word.
They are watching something they love, and playing it to.

If they are not playing in leagues, I’m sure they are just having a kick around in the park.

I used to play Sunday league football, (How I got my damn knee injury). There were some very good players. On our team or other teams. So are they not bettering their game by playing every week.

Same as you going out and playing/bettering your golf game.

Fine if that's the case, I don't think it always is, my point was about fat layabouts who have football (or any other sport) as the only thing that matters to them and is accompanied by football obsession like tattoos, private number plates, won't have a car the colour of their rivals, paint the house the colour of their club etc is pretty sad. Taking part in a sport is always better than watching it.

super_realist

Posts : 27802
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Fri 22 May 2020, 9:13 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
westisbest wrote:Big rugby fan myself soul.
South Africa played very well in that final.

England were very good to beat the All Blacks in the semi.

Was a decent World Cup all round.

Looking forward to the lions tour next year, all being well.

Should be a good tour.

Interesting that the 3 times South Africa have won the World Cup, they are the team that the lions are due to play.

First time in a long time that the best team didn't win the world cup in my opinion, South Africa did very well on the day and deserved to win but for me are a way behind New Zealand and England who bottled it to an extent. You used to play right Westi?

Played a lot at school. Then for a local club, not for long.
Great sport though rugby. Love the 6 nations.
I much prefer to watch European rugby and international rugby than football.

westisbest

Posts : 7752
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum