The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+17
BlueCoverman
skiddy
Davie
incontinentia
kwinigolfer
Roller_Coaster
George1507
pedro
I'm never wrong
westisbest
McLaren
JAS
dynamark
navyblueshorts
beninho
Soul Requiem
super_realist
21 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue May 19, 2020 7:58 am

First topic message reminder :

I'm fine with immigration of people who bring value to the country in one way or another, who wouldn't be? What I'm not in favour of is people who bring nothing to the country in terms of skills, education, money etc. I wouldn't expect the many millions of useless Britons to be able to go the other way either just for balance.

What policy is has actively being engaged to stop people of a particular race unable to enter the country anyway? I've not seen any.


super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down


Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Or perhaps different people have different opinions and different priorities in the middle of a pandemic, easier to call them racist though I suppose.

Its not something that's started in the last few months.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:06 pm

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Or perhaps different people have different opinions and different priorities in the middle of a pandemic, easier to call them racist though I suppose.

Its not something that's started in the last few months.

Thank you for pointing that out to me, I didn't know that, not that it makes an ounce of difference. One minute saving lives is the only thing that matters then the next excuses are made for mass gatherings.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:53 pm

beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:I can't decide if #alllivesmatter is racist or just totally missing the point of targeted campaigns?


Should cancer research or chest heart and stroke face calls of #alldiseasesmatter?
Reasonable analogy. That said, I think to tar all people who mention 'all lives matter' as racists is dumb.

They are probably not all racist, but surely most would realise that flaggibg all lives  matter is generally used as an excuse to belittle the black lives matter movement. Either they don't realise, and are generally stupid or they do realise and probably a bit racist.

I guess it comes down to whether you are happy to label a single act as racist without writing off the individual who committed it as a racist.

I think it would be fair to say using all lives matter as a response to black life's matter is a racist action (intentional or not) because of how dismissive it is of the specific issues black people face.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16925
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:42 pm

McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:I can't decide if #alllivesmatter is racist or just totally missing the point of targeted campaigns?


Should cancer research or chest heart and stroke face calls of #alldiseasesmatter?
Reasonable analogy. That said, I think to tar all people who mention 'all lives matter' as racists is dumb.

They are probably not all racist, but surely most would realise that flaggibg all lives  matter is generally used as an excuse to belittle the black lives matter movement. Either they don't realise, and are generally stupid or they do realise and probably a bit racist.

I guess it comes down to whether you are happy to label a single act as racist without writing off the individual who committed it as a racist.

I think it would be fair to say using all lives matter as a response to black life's matter is a racist action (intentional or not) because of how dismissive it is of the specific issues black people face.


Mac,
That notion of "all lives matter as a response to black lives matter" mantra as "a racist action" is a load of b0ll0cks. There's so much discrimination, even among races, that All Lives Matter seems a perfect response. So long as those espousing it live by it.
In the US, where after all the BLM movement started, discrimination is systemic. Hopefully that would apply to a far lesser extent in GB&I, but I don't know.


Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Posts : 26475
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Vermont

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by incontinentia Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Leigh Francis is apologising for portraying black people on his old show Bo Selecta. Mega roll eyes.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Posts : 3788
Join date : 2012-01-06
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:49 pm

Police brutality aside. According to studies, the US is generally less racist than Europe. At least if you ask racial minorities each place. Dunno about blacks in particular though.

pedro

Posts : 7240
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 am

Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:15 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:No strong views about thousands protesting with no social distancing at all but you had strong opinions on one person and his immediate family going for a drive. The word imbecile comes to mind, does it not?
Still not getting it re. Cummings? What he did is likely to have caused more damage to the behaviour of people re. Covid than anything else. Yes, he was just one person, but that's missing the point...and you know it OK.

Are you trying to suggest that the damage caused by these protests would not happen without Cummings?
If there's a second spike, it will be these protests that have been the biggest catalyst.


Last edited by super_realist on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:17 am

McLaren wrote:Super

From what I can gather you don't approve of protesting regardless of the cause?


I think protesting is largely pointless, hijacked by rent a mobs, virtue signalling and idiots.
They can be useful, but this is absolutely not the time to be protesting.

super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 am

beninho wrote:I am already getting annoyed with all the bloody queuing. Queuing for Sainsbury's queuing fir a coffee.

First World problems I know, but annoying none the less.

Get up earlier then. These places dont have queues first think in the morning.

super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am

looks like Bristol,liverpool and London will have to be dismantled brick by brick due to their history.
I feel we should be able to look back learn and then move forward

dynamark

Posts : 1995
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am

super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.


Last edited by beninho on Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:38 am

My favourite comment on the Brustol slave trader, is that I've seen people more upset about a statue in the water then actual immigrants being washed up in the sea.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:48 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.

I dislike lots of sportsmen, black and white.

You really don't think the  comment" The only disease right now is racism" is not moronic and irresponsible? Thousands of people are dead in the UK, but Raheem thinks the only disease that matters is racism, how very sensitive of him. Nice one Raheem.

Even if he didn't mean it that way, he should have thought it out more clearly, not like he was asked on the spot for his comments.

super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.

#whataboutery

It has to be said that comments by both Sterling and YL are ridiculous, the only disease right now is not racism and i'm sure someone like Anthony Yarde (boxer) will really appreciate such a comment.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 am

McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:I can't decide if #alllivesmatter is racist or just totally missing the point of targeted campaigns?


Should cancer research or chest heart and stroke face calls of #alldiseasesmatter?
Reasonable analogy. That said, I think to tar all people who mention 'all lives matter' as racists is dumb.

They are probably not all racist, but surely most would realise that flaggibg all lives  matter is generally used as an excuse to belittle the black lives matter movement. Either they don't realise, and are generally stupid or they do realise and probably a bit racist.

I guess it comes down to whether you are happy to label a single act as racist without writing off the individual who committed it as a racist.

I think it would be fair to say using all lives matter as a response to black life's matter is a racist action (intentional or not) because of how dismissive it is of the specific issues black people face.

It’s racist to say “All lives Matter”??? Just take a step back for a minute and listen to yourself ffs. And I say that as someone who thinks BLM does have some validity.

When people say “Save the rainforest” you don’t get other people chipping in with “Save all forests”. Yes it’s the same thing. There’s nothing wrong with saying Save all forests is there??

It’s not wrong to say black lives matter, just as it’s not wrong to say save the rainforests. Those campaigns exist because there is a bit more focus required on those particular areas. Where you fall down is trying to demonise others for not having what you deem to be the required amount of focus.

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 am

I've read the article, and it all reads well. That headline is quoted but I am unsure what it was a response to, as a question. I dont think any if the article points to Sterling being an idiot.

But, its not really my call to dismiss a black persons views on racism. In fact, I think that's part of the whole movement. I think that directly or Indirectly thing people that there views are wrong, is something that needs to be eradicated.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:11 am

beninho wrote:I've read the article, and it all reads well. That headline is quoted but I am unsure what it was a response to, as a question. I dont think any if the article points to Sterling being an idiot.

But, its not really my call to dismiss a black persons views on racism. In fact, I think that's part of the whole movement. I think that directly or Indirectly thing people that there views are wrong, is something that needs to be eradicated.

Doh

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:12 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.

#whataboutery

It has to be said that comments by both Sterling and YL are ridiculous, the only disease right now is not racism and i'm sure someone like Anthony Yarde (boxer) will really appreciate such a comment.

So Sterlings views on racism are wrong. You are telling a black man, that his views that racism is more important to him than a virus, are wrong?

White man ( I assume) tells black man what the think.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:15 am

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:I can't decide if #alllivesmatter is racist or just totally missing the point of targeted campaigns?


Should cancer research or chest heart and stroke face calls of #alldiseasesmatter?
Reasonable analogy. That said, I think to tar all people who mention 'all lives matter' as racists is dumb.

They are probably not all racist, but surely most would realise that flaggibg all lives  matter is generally used as an excuse to belittle the black lives matter movement. Either they don't realise, and are generally stupid or they do realise and probably a bit racist.

I guess it comes down to whether you are happy to label a single act as racist without writing off the individual who committed it as a racist.

I think it would be fair to say using all lives matter as a response to black life's matter is a racist action (intentional or not) because of how dismissive it is of the specific issues black people face.

It’s racist to say “All lives Matter”??? Just take a step back for a minute and listen to yourself ffs. And I say that as someone who thinks BLM does have some validity.

When people say “Save the rainforest” you don’t get other people chipping in with “Save all forests”. Yes it’s the same thing. There’s nothing wrong with saying Save all forests is there??

It’s not wrong to say black lives matter, just as it’s not wrong to say save the rainforests. Those campaigns exist because there is a bit more focus required on those particular areas. Where you fall down is trying to demonise others for not having what you deem to be the required amount of focus.

Its probably racist, to belittle the blm movement with the stock response that alm. Its used by some people to belittle the blm movement and views.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:15 am

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.

#whataboutery

It has to be said that comments by both Sterling and YL are ridiculous, the only disease right now is not racism and i'm sure someone like Anthony Yarde (boxer) will really appreciate such a comment.

So Sterlings views on racism are wrong. You are telling a black man, that his views that racism is more important to him than a virus, are wrong?

White man ( I assume) tells black man what the think.

What? Take a step back for a second and stop being so ridiculous.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:16 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:I've read the article, and it all reads well. That headline is quoted but I am unsure what it was a response to, as a question. I dont think any if the article points to Sterling being an idiot.

But, its not really my call to dismiss a black persons views on racism. In fact, I think that's part of the whole movement. I think that directly or Indirectly thing people that there views are wrong, is something that needs to be eradicated.

Doh

Now, you may feel comfortable telling black people what to think, me, not do much.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:22 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.

#whataboutery

It has to be said that comments by both Sterling and YL are ridiculous, the only disease right now is not racism and i'm sure someone like Anthony Yarde (boxer) will really appreciate such a comment.

So Sterlings views on racism are wrong. You are telling a black man, that his views that racism is more important to him than a virus, are wrong?

White man ( I assume) tells black man what the think.

What? Take a step back for a second and stop being so ridiculous.

You think its ridiculous for a black man to view racism worse than a virus, a terrible virus admitted. I dont think I've misquoted you.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:27 am

'The only disease right now is racism', that is a stupid thing to say, for once in your life bother to think before you type Ben, it might save us having to read your misguided points of view.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am

Think before you type? I think I'm the only person who queried what was the context to the quote, what was it in response to. The full interview isn't until tonight. You have no idea, but have used one line as a way to belittle his views on racism.

I'm unsure, why you don't want to acceot that some peopke may feel racism is/was/ will be worse then the current virus. But, your views are more important im sure.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 am

Belittle his views on racism? Do drop the needless hyperbole.

So others views are more important than mine? Is that how it works, we no longer discuss issues but have a predetermined hierarchy of importance.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:56 am

You think his view is ridiculous, that's what you said. So you already think your view is more important. Now, whether you think your views on racism should be more important than a black man is a different matter, as I am unsure on your life experiences of racism.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am

I said his view that racism is the ONLY disease right now was ridiculous, do bother reading posts before being outraged by something that has not been said. You keep attributing words that aren't there, at no point did I say MORE important but any discussions have to allow different points of view, I could highlight the opinions of say Courtney Lawes (Rugby player), is his view more or less important than anyone else or would his actual opinion be dismissed because it doesn't conform to your views?

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:13 am

Soul. What rugby team do you follow? Can’t remember if you said.
Also do you know if the premiership is going to return?

I know the 6 nations will try to resume in November.
Was having a good rugby chat with my father in law last night. He’s a big Tigers fan.

westisbest

Posts : 7751
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:18 am

westisbest wrote:Soul. What rugby team do you follow? Can’t remember if you said.
Also do you know if the premiership is going to return?

I know the 6 nations will try to resume in November.
Was having a good rugby chat with my father in law last night. He’s a big Tigers fan.

That's a tough one, don't follow any team in particular but always had a soft spot for Bath as my great nan lived in Wiltshire so watched a fair of their games. I did enjoy watching the Tigers back in the Johnson era, what about you Westi?

15th August seems the likely date, not sure about the temporary law changes as it is ultimately a high contact sport but they have to be seen as trying something I suppose.


Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 am

beninho wrote:Think before you type? I think I'm the only person who queried what was the context to the quote, what was it in response to. The full interview isn't until tonight. You have no idea, but have used one line as a way to belittle his views on racism.

I'm unsure, why you don't want to acceot that some peopke may feel racism is/was/ will be worse then the current virus. But, your views are more important im sure.

I made a caveat. If he had a brain he should have known that phrase would be taken in isolation.

If I want to listen to a black man's view on racism, then I'll listen to someone like John Barnes who is more articulate on the matter.


Last edited by super_realist on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Posts : 27798
Join date : 2011-01-29
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:21 am

Soul Requiem wrote:I said his view that racism is the ONLY disease right now was ridiculous, do bother reading posts before being outraged by something that has not been said. You keep attributing words that aren't there, at no point did I say MORE important but any discussions have to allow different points of view, I could highlight the opinions of say Courtney Lawes (Rugby player), is his view more or less important than anyone else or would his actual opinion be dismissed because it doesn't conform to your views?

You think his view is ridiculous, but dont think your view is more important than a ridiculous view?

I'm unsure on Courtney Lawes views on racism. But, i would accept them, just as I accept Sterlings or Joshua's. You dont accept them, you think his view is ridiculous, even though you have no idea what context it was said in meant. Wanted to jump straight in on the being offended view and claim them to be ridiculous. Bit snowflakey.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:30 am

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:I said his view that racism is the ONLY disease right now was ridiculous, do bother reading posts before being outraged by something that has not been said. You keep attributing words that aren't there, at no point did I say MORE important but any discussions have to allow different points of view, I could highlight the opinions of say Courtney Lawes (Rugby player), is his view more or less important than anyone else or would his actual opinion be dismissed because it doesn't conform to your views?

You think his view is ridiculous, but dont think your view is more important than a ridiculous view?

I'm unsure on Courtney Lawes views on racism. But, i would accept them, just as I accept Sterlings or Joshua's. You dont accept them, you think his view is ridiculous, even though you have no idea what context it was said in meant. Wanted to jump straight in on the being offended view and claim them to be ridiculous. Bit snowflakey.

Ridiculous in the sense it was factually incorrect.

I'm not offended in any way I simply felt it to be a stupid comment to make during the middle of a global pandemic, i'm struggling to understand what part of that you're not grasping.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:On the subject of racism being a problem in this country I would personally point to football and two players in particular; John Terry and Luis Suarez, a pair of racist scumbags who in an ideal world would have received lifetime bans. The issue isn't so much the pair but their reception by fans based solely on the teams they played for, revered by Chelsea fans and Liverpool fans respectively purely because of who they played for.

I dont believe we're an overly racist country although it does of course exist but the existence on the whole is more subtle and harder to pinpoint so harder to eradicate. Sport is the perfect place to start but on the whole action is too soft, fines achieve nothing so it's time teams were deducted points for the actions of their so called fans.
Terry, I can definitely buy. Suarez? Nah. Racist comments, sure, but actually racist? I don't think so; not given his family. If you were stupid/naive and wanted to wind up a black opponent in the EPL to try and gain an advantage, what might you say to him?

I wouldnt wish to wind up a black player any more than a white player in the first place and as a rugby player feel I'm above such childishness.
Laugh laughing As a rugby player, I saw such 'childishness' many, many times. In addition to which, I also saw physical foul play as a 'wind up' that would make footballers cringe. It happens.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:36 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:No strong views about thousands protesting with no social distancing at all but you had strong opinions on one person and his immediate family going for a drive. The word imbecile comes to mind, does it not?
Still not getting it re. Cummings? What he did is likely to have caused more damage to the behaviour of people re. Covid than anything else. Yes, he was just one person, but that's missing the point...and you know it OK.

I'm not the missing the point at all, people using him as an excuse would have done the same regardless of his actions, it's just a convenient excuse for idiots. Their actions impact on far more lives.
Some undoubtedly would, but any doubt they had, pre-idiocy from Cummings, was washed away.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:39 am

beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:I can't decide if #alllivesmatter is racist or just totally missing the point of targeted campaigns?


Should cancer research or chest heart and stroke face calls of #alldiseasesmatter?
Reasonable analogy. That said, I think to tar all people who mention 'all lives matter' as racists is dumb.

They are probably not all racist, but surely most would realise that flaggibg all lives  matter is generally used as an excuse to belittle the black lives matter movement. Either they don't realise, and are generally stupid or they do realise and probably a bit racist.
I disagree to some extent. I think there are wider issues here, but I accept that those w/ a specific investment in the BLM thing are focussed on that because it's directly relevant to them. Why wouldn't that be the case? Am I racist? I don't think so.
This sort of stereotyping is getting in the way of proper discourse on more or less anything these days.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:42 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:No strong views about thousands protesting with no social distancing at all but you had strong opinions on one person and his immediate family going for a drive. The word imbecile comes to mind, does it not?
Still not getting it re. Cummings? What he did is likely to have caused more damage to the behaviour of people re. Covid than anything else. Yes, he was just one person, but that's missing the point...and you know it OK.

Are you trying to suggest that the damage caused by these protests would not happen without Cummings?
If there's a second spike, it will be these protests that have been the biggest catalyst.
Read it again and think about what Cummings did, what his role is in the current Government is purported to be and what the word 'hypocrite' means.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:46 am

beninho wrote:My favourite comment on the Brustol slave trader, is that I've seen people more upset about a statue in the water then actual immigrants being washed up in the sea.
Which is just a stupid and not-that-clever remark from whomever made it. How about we make daft comparisons re. the catalyst for the the current BLM protests and the utter silence on the myriad of deaths in Yemen and next-to-silence on the same in Syria? No, not clever just now is it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:48 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Absolutely moronic and irresponsible comments from perpetual idiot Raheem Sterling.

Knowing, that you are not tge sort to have an irrational hatred towards a black sportsman,


I looked up his comments. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52959292

Unsure what's got you throbbing hard on these comments?  To be fair, also unsure why you think he is a perpetual idiot?

I think even worse was said by Yaxley Lennon by the looks of it.

I dislike lots of sportsmen, black and white.

You really don't think the  comment" The only disease right now is racism" is not moronic and irresponsible? Thousands of people are dead in the UK, but Raheem thinks the only disease that matters is racism, how very sensitive of him.  Nice one Raheem.

Even if he didn't mean it that way, he should have thought it out more clearly, not like he was asked on the spot for his comments.
Go read the actual article and think about the context given the rest of his comments, instead of just the click-bait BBC headline. I initially had the same knee-jerk reaction, but then I read it. An example of your confirmation bias?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:04 am

Putting the racism/anti-racism aside for a minute and getting back to the dominant subject of the past few months. I would say this...
As early as next weekend we WILL see the effect of the beachcombers last weekend and the demonstrators this weekend just gone. Principly we will have the infection rate/R number, now IF cases continue to drop despite the catastrophic collapse in social distancing adherence then it’s back to work for every non shielder the week after, quite simply the lockdown will no longer have a reason to exist. IF on the other hand the virus has rebooted and the 2nd wave takes off those involved in the beach visits and the protests can start paying first for the economic damage their actions have inflicted. Wearing masks and being socially distant some of the time just doesn’t cut it I’m afraid especially with the protestors. How did they all get there? On trains? In a confined carriage, touching hand rails, doors etc. Or did the drive? Stopping for fuel? Fingers on car park payment machines? Lockdown was supposed to mean LOCKDOWN not lockdown unless you want to bandwagon jump onto an important issue which has bugged you for years but you’ve never done anything about until now. The f****d up irony of all that is that if the virus does take off again. Guess which community will be disproportionately affected??

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by westisbest Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:38 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
westisbest wrote:Soul. What rugby team do you follow? Can’t remember if you said.
Also do you know if the premiership is going to return?

I know the 6 nations will try to resume in November.
Was having a good rugby chat with my father in law last night. He’s a big Tigers fan.

That's a tough one, don't follow any team in particular but always had a soft spot for Bath as my great nan lived in Wiltshire so watched a fair of their games. I did enjoy watching the Tigers back in the Johnson era, what about you Westi?

15th August seems the likely date, not sure about the temporary law changes as it is ultimately a high contact sport but they have to be seen as trying something I suppose.


London Irish & Connacht

Have watched Irish a few times at the Madjeski stadium.
Would like to do an away trip or two.

Connacht’s achievement at winning the Pro 14/Magners league whatever you want to call it was great, considering we are the weakest province and there are a lot of better teams.

westisbest

Posts : 7751
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:52 am

Old men ? Bristol is an interesting place with some
My work is starting again next week and we have been told it is mandatory to wear paper overshoes when visiting tenants properties(along with gloves and social distance rules).I questioned this as they are a slight slip hazard and I cannot see what positive effect they will have .Seems excessive but gives the health and safety officer something to do. we are not asked to wear a mask.

dynamark

Posts : 1995
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:34 am

sorry missed the end of line -some very interesting buildings and history.Any number of substantial houses on Park St going uphill away from the docks and there are a series of tunnels underground as the merchants did not want to wander up the street with bags of cash.Its history and we should learn from it not wipe it away.
Who was it said 'history is written by the victors'

dynamark

Posts : 1995
Join date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:59 am

Super

It comes as no surprise that the one black person you have ever uttered even the slightest positive remark about is probably considered an uncle Tom.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16925
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

It comes as no surprise that the one black person you have ever uttered even the slightest positive remark about is probably considered an uncle Tom.

What a disgraceful comment.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5574
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:09 pm

dynamark wrote:sorry missed the end of line -some very interesting buildings and history.Any number of substantial houses on Park St going uphill away from the docks and there are a series of tunnels underground as the merchants did not want to wander up the street with bags of cash.Its history and we should learn from it not wipe it away.
Who was it said 'history is written by the victors'

Bristol's history is steeped with sea faring merchants and yes slavery was a big part of building the prosperity of 200 or so years ago. Christ Bristol even has Streets called Whiteladies Road & Blackboy Hill. So there must be quite a historical undercurrent of racist persecution in Bristol and Colston is clearly symbolic of that. However, and this is a bit the protestors are conveniently missing, Bristol and other cities like it owe much of their prosperity to those dark times so if people want to airbrush the likes of Colston out of history do they also want to airbrush out the resultant prosperity as well? Or are they happy to continue to thrive in an economy in part built on very dirty money?

Whilst nowadays we all think slavery was abhorrent and that people like Edward Colston should be posthumously vilified what about modern day slave trading (i.e. people trafficking) where's the protests on the streets for that?. Slavery of a couple of hundred years ago is done and can't be undone, yes it's left a legacy of racism which can be addressed but that won't help those that were abused 200 years ago. We could address people trafficking now but we simply choose not to and turn a blind eye to it. To me that's a far bigger issue if I'm honest than pulling down a statue of a bogeyman of over 200 years ago.

JAS

Posts : 4633
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 59
Location : Swindon

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:28 pm

JAS wrote:
dynamark wrote:sorry missed the end of line -some very interesting buildings and history.Any number of substantial houses on Park St going uphill away from the docks and there are a series of tunnels underground as the merchants did not want to wander up the street with bags of cash.Its history and we should learn from it not wipe it away.
Who was it said 'history is written by the victors'

Bristol's history is steeped with sea faring merchants and yes slavery was a big part of building the prosperity of 200 or so years ago. Christ Bristol even has Streets called Whiteladies Road & Blackboy Hill. So there must be quite a historical undercurrent of racist persecution in Bristol and Colston is clearly symbolic of that. However, and this is a bit the protestors are conveniently missing, Bristol and other cities like it owe much of their prosperity to those dark times so if people want to airbrush the likes of Colston out of history do they also want to airbrush out the resultant prosperity as well? Or are they happy to continue to thrive in an economy in part built on very dirty money?

Whilst nowadays we all think slavery was abhorrent and that people like Edward Colston should be posthumously vilified what about modern day slave trading (i.e. people trafficking) where's the protests on the streets for that?. Slavery of a couple of hundred years ago is done and can't be undone, yes it's left a legacy of racism which can be addressed but that won't help those that were abused 200 years ago. We could address people trafficking now but we simply choose not to and turn a blind eye to it. To me that's a far bigger issue if I'm honest than pulling down a statue of a bogeyman of over 200 years ago.
All good points, JAS. Bristol is where I was born and raised. You're right re. the history and other injustices, but they're for later and for wider discussion I think. The rights/wrongs of those points should not be a stop on overdue change re. this specific issue.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Its great that Priti will be doubling the minimum sentence on assault of key workers such as police.

Oh..there is no minimum sentence to double?

So, its just noise to make people think she is strong?

Oh dear.

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 am

super_realist wrote:
If I want to listen to a black man's view on racism, then I'll listen to someone like John Barnes who is more articulate on the matter.
I prefer his camera roll.

pedro

Posts : 7240
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:15 am

beninho wrote:Its great that Priti will be doubling the minimum sentence on assault of key workers such as police.

Oh..there is no minimum sentence to double?

So, its just noise to make people think she is strong?

Oh dear.
I suspect Judges have guidance re. minimum tariff in such cases.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum