The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The summer of cricket 2020

+14
Dolphin Ziggler
compelling and rich
dummy_half
KP_fan
VTR
alfie
LondonTiger
Soul Requiem
king_carlos
JDizzle
Gooseberry
Duty281
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
18 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 10 Empty The summer of cricket 2020

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat May 23, 2020 8:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

We have actual cricket news for the first time in forever...and some hope that we will see some test matches this summer!

England bowlers began a return to individual training on Thursday, with batsmen and wicketkeepers scheduled to make a return on 1st June, in anticipation of the West Indies series being rescheduled to begin on 8th July (all according to various reports).

There was also reports a few weeks back they might play some one day games, whilst tests are happening too. Not seen anything else about that, but with England’s depth in the shorter format it could be done you’d think players wise (and actually would present a good opportunity to some on the fringes)

ECB is going to confirm the full list of players who will resume training next week. Murmurings about Hales in the one day stuff don’t go away...

So anyways - let’s keep fingers crossed, and hope everyone who posts here is healthy and staying safe too Hug
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 10 Empty Re: The summer of cricket 2020

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:39 am

Tidy start from the English openers. Chase coming in now, could be a key passage of the game as the pitch seems unresponsive to the seamers.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Chase on pretty early...I guess they aren't expecting to race through England quickly and are intent on not flattening the key bowlers all at once. Sensible I think.
Need Joseph to stand up this innings , can't leave it all to the top three.

Burns and Sibley have played nicely so far . Good to see their intent in looking for runs - no risks but they've gone at about 3.5 per over with some good running. Good first hour for England thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:02 pm

About as perfect a first hour we could’ve asked for - let’s hope one of these two now in can go on and get that big score we need
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Excellent start from Burns and Sibley. Only two balls have misbehaved in that first hour, and if the pitch stays mostly true England will fancy building a decent lead.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Been reading some criticism of Broad on BBC idiot comment page over his frank reaction to his omission. Personally can't see a problem on what I've read : he didn't rubbish his teammates , just honestly said how hurt he was to be left out. On his form last year I think he has a fair point ! Anyway surely better to have a man passionate and determined enough to show the selectors they're wrong than someone too meekly accepting being sidelined ?

I note though Atherton already muttering about the idea that Old Trafford might suit the faster bowlers so maybe bringing him back immediately would be a questionable move ... He'll be ready to explode if he's left out again I think !

Still an innings to go here so how the incumbents perform second time around might be significant. But it seems to me the appetite in the media for pushing change - and pace at all costs - has perhaps overflowed into the selection panel...

We will see as the summer goes on . But in any case I am not a huge fan of the notion that preparing for an Ashes Series a couple of years away should be prioritised over ensuring winning the current matches ; so I hope that isn't going to be the number one concern.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Zaltzman on the BBC live thread wrote:This is England's sixth fifty partnership in their last 12 innings. They had only had six fifty opening stands in the previous 36 innings.
Since the tour of India in 2016-17 England had nine fifty opening stands up until the end of last summer.
They have now had six in seven Tests since Sibley came into team at the start of the New Zealand tour last winter.

A good stat there from Zaltzman. I think Burns and Sibley look a really solid partnership, especially with Root/Stokes/Pope at 4/5/6 all naturally aggressive players.

That said I do still feel that Sibley gets tied down by spinners very easily. He's never going to be a player who will look to dominate spinners hitting over the top like Trescothick or even one who looks to use his feet like Strauss was good at. He needs to develop his game against spin to rotate the strike and relieve some pressure though as currently it's an easy way for the bowling side to race through overs whilst Sibley is at the crease. With his huge stride and reach he should be able to develop a good sweep shot, smothering the spin and looking to work the ball square for runs.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 pm

alfie wrote:Been reading some criticism of Broad on BBC idiot comment page over his frank reaction to his omission. Personally can't see a problem on what I've read : he didn't rubbish his teammates , just honestly said how hurt he was to be left out. On his form last year I think he has a fair point ! Anyway surely better to have a man passionate and determined enough to show the selectors they're wrong than someone too meekly accepting being sidelined ?

I said yesterday i'd be dropping him for the foreseeable for those comments, if you're not picked then you shut up, simple as that really.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:31 pm

Just seeing the pitch starting to misbehave more and, with the aid of Chase's economical seven overs and Holder's tight line, England are still behind by 50. Though it's been a good ninety minutes for the batting side, the English are still well adrift of a match-winning lead.

Last 45 balls have cost two runs, in actual fact!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:33 pm

I don't think either Burns or Sibley are too bothered by the scoring rate, as long as they're still out there they will continue doing what they are.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
alfie wrote:Been reading some criticism of Broad on BBC idiot comment page over his frank reaction to his omission. Personally can't see a problem on what I've read : he didn't rubbish his teammates , just honestly said how hurt he was to be left out. On his form last year I think he has a fair point ! Anyway surely better to have a man passionate and determined enough to show the selectors they're wrong than someone too meekly accepting being sidelined ?

I said yesterday i'd be dropping him for the foreseeable for those comments, if you're not picked then you shut up, simple as that really.

So anyone who is left out should tell interviewers to p... Off ? Or lie about how they feel ? I guess we will have to agree to differ on this one , Soul.

Back on the field , I see a couple of balls misbehaving. Interesting.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:35 pm

alfie wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

So anyone who is left out should tell interviewers to p... Off ? Or lie about how they feel ?  I guess we will have to agree to differ on this one , Soul.

Back on the field , I see a couple of balls misbehaving. Interesting.

Do his comments benefit the team in anyway? If the answer is no then he should keep his mouth shut.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:36 pm

I note though Atherton already muttering about the idea that Old Trafford might suit the faster bowlers so maybe bringing him back immediately would be a questionable move ... He'll be ready to explode if he's left out again I think !

Still an innings to go here so how the incumbents perform second time around might be significant. But it seems to me the appetite in the media for pushing change - and pace at all costs - has perhaps overflowed into the selection panel...

We will see as the summer goes on . But  in any case I am not a huge fan of the notion that preparing for an Ashes Series a couple of years away should be prioritised over ensuring winning the current matches ; so I hope that isn't going to be the number one concern.

Didn't have a problem with Broad's comments. He wasn't abusive, he just spoke with great passion about how hurt he was to be left out. Nothing wrong with that. I'd much rather hear sportspeople talk like human beings rather than carefully crafted PR automatons.

With regards to the Ashes, I'm not sure how sensible it is to build plans around a bowler as injury-prone as Mark Wood. There again, England are likely to be without Anderson and, possibly, Broad for that tour.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Duty281 wrote:Just seeing the pitch starting to misbehave more and, with the aid of Chase's economical seven overs and Holder's tight line, England are still behind by 50. Though it's been a good ninety minutes for the batting side, the English are still well adrift of a match-winning lead.

Last 45 balls have cost two runs, in actual fact!

Yes. Chase is doing a good job strangling the run rate. But risky attacking isn't these chaps' job : first task is to try and get through to lunch. Longer they bat the better for later players against an older ball . And the more they make Holder in particular work now ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Oh dear, Burns throws it away to one of the worst balls Chase has bowled today. Was looking so serene and untroubled to that point.

Just the pick-me-up the West Indies needed before the interval.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Aarrrghh. Oh Rory. You can see him kicking himself the second it left the bat.

I don't like being negative with the Burns/Sibley partnership as compared to our issues opening the batting for years I feel very positive about them as a pairing. That there feels like a symptom of two batsman who can get tied down pretty easily, especially against spin.

It's good bowling by the Windies. Chase and Holder keeping it tight then latterly Joseph doing the same. That's all they had to do though. Just put it on a spot for a prolonged period and the runs dried up then the poor shot comes.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:59 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Zaltzman on the BBC live thread wrote:This is England's sixth fifty partnership in their last 12 innings. They had only had six fifty opening stands in the previous 36 innings.
Since the tour of India in 2016-17 England had nine fifty opening stands up until the end of last summer.
They have now had six in seven Tests since Sibley came into team at the start of the New Zealand tour last winter.

A good stat there from Zaltzman. I think Burns and Sibley look a really solid partnership, especially with Root/Stokes/Pope at 4/5/6 all naturally aggressive players.

That said I do still feel that Sibley gets tied down by spinners very easily. He's never going to be a player who will look to dominate spinners hitting over the top like Trescothick or even one who looks to use his feet like Strauss was good at. He needs to develop his game against spin to rotate the strike and relieve some pressure though as currently it's an easy way for the bowling side to race through overs whilst Sibley is at the crease. With his huge stride and reach he should be able to develop a good sweep shot, smothering the spin and looking to work the ball square for runs.

Agree on Sibley, Carlos. We saw it in the winter, and seeing it again today, against even worse spin. Needs to find a release shot against the spinners. Roston Chase shouldn’t be bowling 11 overs at like 1.7 runs per over on a pitch that is turning just a tad
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Disappointing throw away from Burns close to lunch...

I like Burns. He has a good temperament, and already a couple of good scores to his credit . But after 16 Tests he averages about 34 : he needs to raise that if he's to help England back to the top of the Test tree. Today he will feel he's rather wasted a lot of good work.

That seems harsh even as I type it ! Should be clear I see Burns as a fixture in the short/medium term ; and I think he can improve those figures. Just to make the point when we complain about England not sweeping "ordinary" opposition aside : right now there are not many players in this team who can truly be said to be "undisputed Test Match class". So we should never assume too much...

Denly , another one with a lot to prove to make the step up from journeyman to top player , up next. Still 37 behind. Decent session if they survive this last over ; but a lot left to do...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:08 pm

The main problem with Sibley's inclusion is his low strike rate. At times, he's been totally tied up by Chase's bowling which, in turn, heaps pressure on his partner. It's because of his low strike rate that I don't see him as a long-term option for England in tests (in an ideal world that is; England may not have the luxury of choice!). Don't think Burns is long-term either, which I've said before. He's averaging in the mid-thirties which would have got him jettisoned in 2013/2014/2015.

Great session of test cricket - disclipline v resolve. Still, it's England's session, even though the West Indies ended it with a bounce in their step. England still have to find at least another 200 runs from somewhere to be considered favourites going into the fourth innings, and that will be tough on this pitch.

And it's always in the back of your mind that an England collapse is never too far away...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Strike rate as an opener is irrelevant if you're scoring runs.

A strike rate of 38 as opposed to 45 equates to about 7 runs in 33 overs.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Sibley's strike rate is currently 25 though to be fair Soul.

Duty - I understand the point but comparing these openers to 2013-15 makes less sense when we don't have the same calibre of top order batsman available. Burns needs to keep improving and push his average up into the high-thirties. Elgar's average was in the mid-thirties for much of his test career, with it pushing up into the high-thirties more recently.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:09 pm

king_carlos wrote:Sibley's strike rate is currently 25 though to be fair Soul.

Duty - I understand the point but comparing these openers to 2013-15 makes less sense when we don't have the same calibre of top order batsman available. Burns needs to keep improving and push his average up into the high-thirties. Elgar's average was in the mid-thirties for much of his test career, with it pushing up into the high-thirties more recently.

That's for this innings though Carlos because the situation dictated it.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Don’t think there is much to worry about with Sibley’s strike rate - he’s pretty good at putting the bad balls away off the seamers, he just needs to develop that against the spinners, probably in a similar way to how Cook learnt to rotate the strike against spin.

Either way - solid start to the session again. Trailing by 19 now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:23 pm

Sibley averages 40 - small sample size though. And it is a little misleading as that is basically all down to one large , not out , innings.

However he has shown an ability to soak up a lot of early overs. Which really only makes him another Denly , I suppose , at this stage.

I honestly don't see this (combination) top three as a long term fixture : they are hardly Cook Strauss Trott Smile But top order woes have been such in recent times they have earned some time to sort out who if any will have a proper career. With Crawley in the mix as well , of course.

And unless someone new pops up out of the blue I reckon there are places for two of them. I'd fancy Pope to move up to three eventually , but not just yet thanks !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Fifty for Sibley clap

And gone...commentators curse from Nasser Smile

Nearly a no ball but no , it's just ok .hes out.

Two down still 2 runs adrift ...

No I'm wrong ...it is a no ball ! West Indies might be feeling the umpires are all against them : but on microscopic view it is true his heel has at best landed on the front of the line...

And anyway it doesn't matter he's gone now .caught down leg ..could have saved me a lot of typing Smile

Last edited by alfie on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm

Nasser does for Sibley...check for a no-ball but I think he's ok? Or not. I thought the bowler would have got the benefit there.

Ah, it matters not as Sibley tickles it down the leg side. Only cost a run.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm

alfie wrote:Fifty for Sibley clap

Was called a no ball but went next ball anyway, clearly no part of the ball behind the line. The legside strangle is an issue.

Last edited by Soul Requiem on Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:39 pm

How can they be 100% sure that's a no ball? I thought benefit of the doubt should go to the bowler?

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
alfie wrote:Fifty for Sibley clap

Was called a no ball but went next ball anyway. The legside strangle is an issue.

Action too fast for my editing Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Game well and truly on now with both obdurate openers out of the way. The draw was beginning to come heavily into the equation until that Sibley dismissal.

New ball 28 overs away - Windies will want at least three more wickets by that stage.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:49 pm

So : after all that excitement...basically level , two wickets gone. More or less odds even now with WI batting last , no ?

Pity no Root : ideal time for a proper busy and experienced bat to come in. Danger that these two might just go nowhere for an hour : but I guess that would be better than a clatter of wickets now...still a few stroke players to follow.

Sibley must have set a record for being caught on the leg side : must be what , six or seven times in a dozen or so innings ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Shot of the day by Zak Crawley, gorgeous drive.

23/2 = well in the balance. Brilliantly poised. All four results possible.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:Game well and truly on now with both obdurate openers out of the way. The draw was beginning to come heavily into the equation until that Sibley dismissal.

New ball 28 overs away - Windies will want at least three more wickets by that stage.

Most of this game I have struggled to see a way to a draw. Lot of time left - unless we have weather issues - and I still think both teams bowl better than they bat. But I suppose if England were to continue at their current glacial pace - and not get skittled in the evening session - we could see a situation where they resumed tomorrow perhaps 110 ahead and obviously looking to bat on ...Declaration wouldn't then be on until they had a "safe" lead...and bowling out a team in under two sessions might be a stretch.

But that really is getting ahead of ourselves. Anything can happen with a round ball...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:Shot of the day by Zak Crawley, gorgeous drive.

23/2 = well in the balance. Brilliantly poised. All four results possible.

Crawley definitely better to watch than his top order teammates. Needs solid runs though ...attractive thirties don't win Test matches.

Good to see he and Denly are looking to get on with it thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:19 pm

This is set-up very interestingly now. The Windies will be desperate to break into the free scoring lower middle order of Stokes/Pope/Buttler before the new ball.

England will be wanting to push that lead up to around 90-100 by then.

Well poised game. The second new ball will tell us a lot about the pitch. The odd ball has misbehaved in terms of variable bounce but there hasn't been much going on. Perhaps the new ball will bring a bit more out the pitch with another couple of sessions wear in it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:22 pm

It's only going to take two hours of Stokes or Pope for things to get away from the Windies.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Sibley's strike rate is currently 25 though to be fair Soul.

That's for this innings though Carlos because the situation dictated it.

The issue I could see for Sibley is trying to push that strike rate up during long innings though. Seeing off the new ball and quicks I have no issue with his strike rate being that low.

Having watched him from a pretty young age when I was still based in London he does have a tendency to get bogged down against the spinners which builds pressure on him and gives the bowling side an easy plan. Hopefully he can develop his game against the spinners to rotate the strike more.

As I've said I feel positive about the Burns/Sibley partnership overall and hope they are given time.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:It's only going to take two hours of Stokes or Pope for things to get away from the Windies.

Or two hours of Denly and Crawley if they keep pushing things on as they are looking too.

This partnership has an interesting footnote to it as if both of them get runs there will be an interesting decision to be made by the selectors when Root returns.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Bloody hell Joe
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Denly out for 29 after getting set. I'm shocked.

All three dismissals today have been soft. Door open for the West Indies.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm

OK : no one posted a curse : but which of you was thinking "England are getting on top here " ?

Denly just can't break out of his mould , can he ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Big opportunity for Crawley now. He's batting well so far.

I'm glued to this. It could swing either way very quickly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Really have been soft , the outs today. Annoying. And at , essentially , 38/3 , the situation is full of tension.

And we don't have Sam Curran to bat Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:42 pm

West Indies still look a bit flat in the field for my liking. Think the advantage is narrowly with them, currently, and a new ball (which does quite a bit here) only 14 overs away.

A lot rests on Stokes...as ever!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:56 pm

Heart in mouth time.

Stokes doesn't look worried.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Think that's a case of Holder reviewing purely because it's Stokes. He's been good with the reviews during this test up until that!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:00 pm

king_carlos wrote:Think that's a case of Holder reviewing purely because it's Stokes. He's been good with the reviews during this test up until that!

Got a bit of the Tim Paine’s about him with that one

54 ahead, 7 wickets in hand, second new ball a few overs away...what a last session we have in store
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:00 pm

60 overs today has brought 150/3. Next 30 probably will decide the match.
New ball in ten.

Anyone's guess.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Two reviews punted away by the Windies. Agree that they only went for it because it was Stokes - may cost them later on.

54/3. What an absorbing game this is. The second new ball period, ten overs away, will likely decide it - England need to ensure Stokes and Crawley are at the crease for it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Alastair Cook saying England need a 200 lead at least...

Can't see them getting that. Perhaps I'm a pessimist ?

On the other hand I'm not sure batting tomorrow will be easy so if they can get through to end of day a lead of 160-180 might possibly be enough.

Not much sparkling stroke play - or devastating bowling spells - but this match has been absorbing throughout. Might be a good finish too...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:26 pm

It does feel like a lot will rest on the next two partnerships, Alfie. I think we need Crawley, Stokes and Pope to put another 100 runs on the board before Buttler gets to the crease.

The second new ball will be vital.

That's an excellent drive from Stokes. He's looked in good touch in the warm-up game and the first innings.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next