The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow

+19
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Geordie
Soul Requiem
king_carlos
alive555
cb
funnyExiledScot
nlpnlp
Mr Bounce
Pot Hale
WELL-PAST-IT
Hazel Sapling
Maine man
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
Old Man
bsando
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow - Page 2 Empty Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow

Post by bsando Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought it would be fun to do a few Lions threads specifically on positional areas of a potential 2021 squad. I'll break these down into 6 different threads.

The Front Row
The Second Row
The Back Row
The 9's and 10's
The Centres
The Back Three

What better place to start than the back row with an extraordinary amount of competition from the four home nations.

I've listed the backrow options for each home nation by players who have featured in the RWC 2019 and 6N 2020 squads who have not yet retired. Feel free to add others into the equation, but for the sake of simplicity I've kept the list of players to these two squad lists.

England

Mark Wilson, Sam Underhill, Tom Curry, Billy Vunipola, Courtney Lawes, Lewis Ludlum, Ted Hill, Ben Earl, Charlie Ewels

Ireland

Jack Conan, Jordi Murphy, Peter O'Mahony, Rhys Ruddock, C. J. Stander, Josh van der Flier, Will Connors, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris, Jack O'Donoghue

Scotland

Magnus Bradbury, Jamie Ritchie, Blade Thomson, Hamish Watson, Ryan Wilson, Luke Crosbie, Cornell Du Preez, Nick Haining, Thomas Gordon

Wales

James Davies, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Aaron Shingler, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright, Taulupe Faletau

In 2017 Gatland selected 9 back row players in his squad. The following players, Taulupe Faletau, Ross Moriarty, Peter O'Mahony, C. J. Stander, Justin Tipuric, Billy Vunipola were selected in 2017 and are featured in the players above.

Which nine players would you select from the players above and which three players would you call up in the case of injury?

Then, who do you think Gatland and his potential coaching team will select and which three players would they call up in the case of injury?

This is also an opportunity to look at other home nations players and ask any questions about a player you may not be familiar with. From experience it is very easy to focus on your own nations squad in the lead up to a Lions year so it would be great to learn more about some of the potential talent from other home nations and who may become a potential bolter in the coming year. thumbsup Ale

bsando

Back to top Go down

Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow - Page 2 Empty Re: Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow

Post by king_carlos Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:07 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:KC - Thats exactly how i feel. i think Hill looks an absolute monster in the making at blindside...and ive even said i would be interested to see what a switch to 8 would make of him. He has ALL the attributes.

My one worry with Hill currently is his speed at getting back to his feet and in the defensive line after making a tackle, similar to my concerns with Dombrandt. That's largely conditioning and positioning though which both have time to learn.

Wasnt that largely an issue with Billy V when he first came on the scene. His actual fitness and conditioning. That was fixed pretty quickly...so im sure Hill can be (if that is the issue) Dombrandt im less convinced on....need to see how he goes.
True. When Billy first broke through with Wasps he was a bit lighter and quicker. His early Wasps appearances he made some breaks in the wider channels that were more reminiscent of Dallagio than his style in more recent years.

Sarries and England both have pretty simple game plans when it comes to using one out carries to build momentum and manufacture good positions to box kick from. Billy seems to have tailored his conditioning and carrying to those game plans. He's done so brilliantly as well. Just injury that has prevented him doing it consistently. I must say I'm worried about his long term future with his arm breaks. That said I was also worried about Watson returning from his achilles and knee injuries at the same level, if anything he's played better than ever since regaining fitness.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow - Page 2 Empty Re: Potential Lions Squad - The Backrow

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:10 pm

No idea why James Davies or O'Mahony would be anywhere near these lists.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:36 am

mikey_dragon wrote:No idea why James Davies or O'Mahony would be anywhere near these lists.

Yes and why is Charlie Ewels listed for England...he a lock...and a lock that should be nowhere near the England squad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:42 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:No idea why James Davies or O'Mahony would be anywhere near these lists.

Yes and why is Charlie Ewels listed for England...he a lock...and a lock that should be nowhere near the England squad.

Because the initial list included everyone who has played in the back row (starting or from bench) during the current 6Ns.

What are the rules defining eligibility for the Lions? I assume UK or Irish citizens who opt to play for an outside country (ie Jake Polledri) are not eligible?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:54 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Because the initial list included everyone who has played in the back row (starting or from bench) during the current 6Ns.

What are the rules defining eligibility for the Lions? I assume UK or Irish citizens who opt to play for an outside country (ie Jake Polledri) are not eligible?
To play for the Lions you need to be eligible for one (or more I guess) of the home nations. So UK citizens like Polledri who have been capped by a country outside the home nations aren't eligible. Polledri is a brilliant player that England have really missed out on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Players like Polledri should simply not be eligible...they play for a non home nation,.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:09 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Players like Polledri should simply not be eligible...they play for a non home nation,.
Polledri isn't available GF!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:18 pm

I know...i was merely saying it shouldnt be..as per LT's question above...?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:40 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I know...i was merely saying it shouldnt be..as per LT's question above...?
Ah fair. Yep I'd agree it should only be home nations players as are the rules. I think LT was just asking about how eligibility works rather than saying he thinks players such as Polledri should be available though to be fair.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm

Ah yeah...i didnt think he was suggesting those players should be in....

Otherwise Tomaso Allan would have been a lions legend.... Whistle Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:15 pm

To be fair I see more merit in Polledri being a Lion than Riki Flutey, but no was not suggesting his inclusion.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:42 pm

9 is a bit generous, but mine would be:

6.Curry, Wainwright and Ritchie
7.Underhill, Tipuric and Watson
8. Faletau, Vunipola and Stander

I think Gatland will take 7, with the two Scots noted above being dropped.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Probably drop watson and Ritchie and replace with navidi plus Moriarty

alive555

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:10 am

From a physical point of view, Ross Moriarty could be ideal for the Boks tour. He's a real blunt instrument of a player, brutal and effective and hard as nails. He doesn't do anything flash, but if you want someone to tackle hard and run at everything to soften them up, then he's the man to do it.

There are better all-round players out there, but a physical 6? Big Bad Ross works for me.

As for Big Billy, I've said in another thread that I think he's now a busted flush. I don't think he'll tour. Plus his brother either needs to learn how to scrummage or should be nowhere near the test team...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 pm

alive555 wrote:Probably drop watson and Ritchie and replace with navidi plus Moriarty

Why?? Hes absolute class and a mini tank!

Geordie

alive555 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
alive555 wrote:Probably drop watson and Ritchie and replace with navidi plus Moriarty

Why?? Hes absolute class and a mini tank!

Cause hes not welsh

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:42 pm

Sorry yes...i missed that point Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:50 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:9 is a bit generous, but mine would be:

6.Curry, Wainwright and Ritchie
7.Underhill, Tipuric and Watson
8. Faletau, Vunipola and Stander

I think Gatland will take 7, with the two Scots noted above being dropped.

I'd be picking going with eight myself;

Curry, Underhill, Navidi, Watson and Tipuric, one of Ritchie/Wainwright, Stander and whoever is fit out of Vunipola and Faletau.

As a blunt force instrument I think the lions could do worse than Mark Wilson, has the bulk and work rate to hold his own.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:07 pm

As a falcon you imagine what i think of Mark...but im not sure he'll travel.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:29 pm

Ritchie could be Scotland's best hope in the back-row if he is seen as a blind-side. Watson might miss out due to the strength we have at open-side. I wouldn't leave out the Vunipola's either, I imagine they would be in or around the test team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 pm

I don't see Ritchie making it. I really do rate him highly, he never has a bad game, but Curry and Wainwright are going, and I think Gatland will want Stander as cover for the two creaking 8s, Faletau and Vunipola (and remember Stander was a deserved MOTM against Scotland this season).

Our best bet is Watson, who could become a Lions cult hero, but he's up against Underhill and Tipuric (and Leavy if he can get fit), plus Curry can play 7, so it's a red hot contest and Gatland does tend to favour those he knows (so Tipuric, a very handy player, has an edge).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:35 pm

I probably wouldn’t take Wainwright myself. Good player but I actually think we might have better open-sides at Dragons, not just the rest of Wales.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:49 pm

I always considered Wainwright a blindside, and the reason I listed him so highly was that Gatland name checked him when discussing the tour.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 am

Just another 7 we have who plays across the back-row pretty well.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:53 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Just another 7 we have who plays across the back-row pretty well.

There are a few like that this time. Curry and Ritchie are both equally strong at 6 and 7, as is Navidi.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I would be very surprised if Gatland picked Dombrant, he, like Jones wants his players to have exceptional work rates and fitness. Dombrant by comparison with the others has neither. Great at premiership level but not in SA. He is slow to get out of the tackle and back in a defensive position and just does not do the defensive work the others do. Great ball in hand , makes going forward look easy, scores tries, has good hands, however EJ has dropped him from the squad get togethers, presumably with some words on what he has to work on.

I suspect that his type of back rower is now defunct, in international rugby anyway. A number of these new laws brought in to help restart the game will probably stick, this is going to make the "hybrid" players like Earl and the Curries the favoured ones. Mobility, work rate, good core skills, these are going to be what coaches look for.

I'd also be surprised if Gatland picks Dombrandt, but it is clear that he's been listening to Eddie and working on the stuff he's been asked to work on. In the last few games before lockdown, he'd raised his workrate considerably. Ben Kay called out one sequence in particular where he made three tackles in succession. A season and a half ago he was playing university rugby - basically what he's lacking is the aerobic fitness that comes from being in a fully professional environment. If he can address that, then I think the game has plenty of use for a big, fast guy with strong positional instincts and great hands, even under the revised breakdown interpretation.

Whether that's enough to meet Gatland's selection criteria, or Eddie's, is a separate question. It could well be that Curry is the model for the future... but I think we could also see much more volatility in the back row. Lockdown has given a lot of players a chance to recover from injury and work on specific skills or fitness needs, and the change in the interpretation will require new behaviours. Who adapts and who doesn't will be very interesting to watch. You'd expect the Curries, Underhills and Ritchies to find the change quite natural, but we may be surprised by which other players step up and which struggle.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharkey06 Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 am

This is Gats so you are going to have Faleteau and Vunipola. Probably Stander as the reserve/reserve no 8. Curry, Underhill, Watson and Navidi should be certainties - not only great players but generally able to play a couple of positions. I think people talking about Wilson or POM are dreaming (subject to injuries), as I don't see them anywhere near a Lions team. I think we could see a wildcard in the backrow - I don't know who but there are a few Irish. Welsh or English players in the mix.

Sharkey06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Underhill is nailed on to start probably at 7 but could play 6. Curry looks likely to join him on the other side. The obvious pick is then Faletau to add a bit more subtlety between those 2 but Vunipola will obviously tour if fit as well (big if though). With Faletau's injury problems that puts Stander in a great position to play against his home country.

I can see Moriarty and Navidi fighting for one position as the versatile back rower who can cover 6 and 8. I can't decide who should go between the two but if forced to pick I'd take Moriarty for his physicality.

Tipuric should tour and seems likely to be a midweek captain. Hamish Watson stands a chance if someone gets injured but won't go ahead of Tipuric unless he plays extremely well for Scotland in the remaining tests this season. Ireland have plenty of possibles but no probables at this stage though someone is likely to tour on the basis of good 6Ns form. Ritchie is an outside but not unreasonable bet but given the depth in England of Hill, Willis, Dombrandt etc it's hard to see how Gatland won't simply lift whoever is playing for England in to the Lions squad. Wales have a few other options like Ellis Jenkins but injuries seem to be the biggest issue in Wales. I can't see Wainwright touring but Gatland does like him. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest Lions quality however I think he's behind Moriarty, Navidi, Tipuric, and Faletau in the Wales pecking order and probably behind Ellis Jenkins as well.

It's all about physicality against the Boks and England have that where other countries don't to the same extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:02 am

Sam Warburton, The Times 14/11/2020 wrote: England have five back-rowers — and that is not including Itoje, who will clearly walk in as a lock — in Curry, Underhill, Vunipola, Willis and Ben Earl who have the talent to be on the British & Irish Lions tour to South Africa next summer. That is some serious strength in depth. When I was playing, Ireland and Wales had some impressive depth in the back row but England may be taking that to a different level at the moment.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 am

If your looking to match the boks sheer physicality...then keep an eye on young Ted Hill as a wildcard. 6'5 flanker. Brutally physical in contact in both carrying and defence. He never fails to win the collision. He should be fully unleashed by england this Autumn cup so we can get a good look at him at this level.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:03 am

On form right now of course Watson and Ritchie should be going - and none of the welsh. Look to the recent game

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:10 am

rugby racing and beer wrote:Underhill is nailed on to start probably at 7 but could play 6. Curry looks likely to join him on the other side

laughing . I'm not sure Underhill is nailed on to start for England for much longer. Willis and Earl are closing the gap quickly. Underhill has somewhat of a limited style as well.

GF, trying to out muscle the Boks is futile. Taking them on at the breakdown is the one. Chop tackle and then contest. Trying and build the penalties up and frustrate them.

I'd go for;

6. Curry, Ritchie, Moriarty
7. Watson, Navidi, Underhill
8. Doris, Vunipola, Stander

Moriarty or Underhill could be overtaken by a wildcard like one or both of the Wasps duo Young and Willis. Actually Young and Willis would be a good combination to take to SA being both physical and contesting the breakdown. Link play and carrying works with them as well. How Young hasn't got more Wales caps baffles me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:31 am

Moriarty is perfect as the "Blunt instrument" type of flanker that would be so useful against the Boks. He's had limited game time recently due to injuries but is a known quantity to Gatland so if fit would surely be on the list.

Based on what I saw last night I am not sure that any of that Welsh 23 should be considered.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:34 am

Moriarty is limited full stop. Excellent tackler. That's it. A poor mans Underhill.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:02 am

Tipuric shouldn’t be in the Wales team let alone the Lions team. I’ll never understand welsh fans hype with him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 am

Moriarty is a great player. Regularly steps up to international level and can play 8 as well - very good control at the base of the scrum. He's right up there and for me should tour, I like him a lot, the attitude he brings, fire, fight etc.

Knocking both him and Underhill while calling someone who hasn't played a single test match yet a 'future great' is cringe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Tipuric shouldn’t be in the Wales team let alone the Lions team. I’ll never understand...

Makes sense

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:15 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Sam Warburton, The Times 14/11/2020 wrote: England have five back-rowers — and that is not including Itoje, who will clearly walk in as a lock — in Curry, Underhill, Vunipola, Willis and Ben Earl who have the talent to be on the British & Irish Lions tour to South Africa next summer. That is some serious strength in depth. When I was playing, Ireland and Wales had some impressive depth in the back row but England may be taking that to a different level at the moment.

I think that was obvious 12 months ago. Things have changed. It was also obvious that the Lions tour would be England+. Their forwards are so much bigger and stronger than everyone else's and have hit a level far beyond what Wales and Ireland have done. It doesn't look great for the Scots, either. The case has to be made for 'why isn't the England player getting picked' in each position, and then the second choice England player, rather than anything else. Earl probably won't go, Willis is an unknown as he's uncapped, but Curry at 6 with Underhill at 7 could very, very easily be Gatland's test pairing for at least 2 of the games v the Boks.

Doris from Ireland, Leavy possibly, CJ Stander if he's still doing a job at 8, and Tipuric and Watson from Wales and Scotland respectively are the obvious ones to add to the English players. If Faletau is fit and in form, he tours, but he's not really looking the player he was. Moriarty and Navidi are there or thereabouts as versatile midweek players, it's a flip or a coin between those two tbh, Ritchie stands a chance, but then you're looking back at Ben Earl and thinking...maybe he could go. I just don't think he'll get the England minutes that dictate whether a player tours. Ultimately, that will be the detriment of England's depth - you can't pick them all as they can't all play. Hill, Dombrandt etc could all be options but they just won't get the exposure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:19 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
rugby racing and beer wrote:Underhill is nailed on to start probably at 7 but could play 6. Curry looks likely to join him on the other side

laughing . I'm not sure Underhill is nailed on to start for England for much longer. Willis and Earl are closing the gap quickly. Underhill has somewhat of a limited style as well.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I'd suggest you're reading too much in to paper talk and the constant 'grass is greener' chat that fuels modern day broadcasting/PR/media.

I see nothing to suggest Underhill is about to be dropped. For me, he's a better player than Curry, but does things that are less flashy than him. Also, what he does...well, there's no nice way of saying this...more casual fans or people who didn't play back row don't instinctively see or perhaps understand. His contributions and his class is above Curry's. He's the closest thing to a Warburton reincarnation as you could get, at least the Warburton of later in his career who became a more rounded player. Go back and watch the semi final v NZ and you'll see.

I'm interested to see how the new boys go but it's a big step up from club to test rugby. I'm not sold on Willis yet. Looks big and strong but also a penalty machine. England already have that in Itoje where it's acceptable given what he adds when he's not getting pinged, they don't need another.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Tipuric shouldn’t be in the Wales team let alone the Lions team. I’ll never understand welsh fans hype with him.

Because he's quick and he's very visible. 7's either tend to look like the most important player on the pitch or a useless luxury, depending on the opposition and how good they are at shutting the player down. Given the current rubbish performances it is not surprising he's not looking so good.

I really rate Navidi but he is in a very competitive position. Tipuric - depends on a lot of things. Moriaty is a blunt instrument and as intimated above I am sure we can find players who can offer more.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:28 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Moriarty is limited full stop. Excellent tackler. That's it. A poor mans Underhill.

I rate him, but I think there’s better available. Arguably, even better available at the Dragons... I would put Moriarty into the Wales team at 8 if he was available and give him a good run of games. He is good at what he does but my main gripe with him is that he’s probably failed to tackle Hamish Watson in every single attempt I’ve seen. Not what you’d expect from a dominant tackler - that said, Watson is a very good player.

Wainwright was good when he burst onto the scene and throughly deserved his accolades, but he’s probably reached his peak - as you’d expect from someone still new to rugby compared to guys who have been in pro academies most of their life. That said he’s still better than some in the Wales team right now.

Aside from our wingers there aren’t any welsh players who should be near a Lions test team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:31 am

lostinwales wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Tipuric shouldn’t be in the Wales team let alone the Lions team. I’ll never understand welsh fans hype with him.

Because he's quick and he's very visible. 7's either tend to look like the most important player on the pitch or a useless luxury, depending on the opposition and how good they are at shutting the player down. Given the current rubbish performances it is not surprising he's not looking so good.

Tipuric is currently Wales' best player under Pivac and playing decently. Mikey takes his views to be antithetical to other posters on this board. You should have learned that by now. They're not based in reality, he'll just repeat it over and over to wind people up, namely me, until he starts to believe it himself. Tipuric is playing pretty well all things considered. He's constantly showing his class and ability and is adding rare moments of quality in an otherwise ineffective side. Halfpenny the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:32 am

lostinwales wrote:

I really rate Navidi but he is in a very competitive position. Tipuric - depends on a lot of things. Moriaty is a blunt instrument and as intimated above I am sure we can find players who can offer more.

Exactly that, and I know these comments will get disliked as the truth hurts a certain someone, but Tipuric and James Davies fall into that category. I noticed it early on with Davies - only now it seems that others can see it. I guess I, like most normal people who know a thing or two about rugby, prefer my flankers to actually do their flanker duties and not try and be a backline player.

Navidi and Young seem good at everything. We have two at the Dragons in Griffiths and Basham. For England you got Earl, Underhill, Curry and Willis. Scotland have Watson and Ritchie. Ireland have VDF and Stander. Wales are still trying to hold onto Tipuric.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:34 am

Haha right on cue...

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:34 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Moriarty is limited full stop. Excellent tackler. That's it. A poor mans Underhill.

I rate him, but I think there’s better available. Arguably, even better available at the Dragons... I would put Moriarty into the Wales team at 8 if he was available and give him a good run of games. He is good at what he does but my main gripe with him is that he’s probably failed to tackle Hamish Watson in every single attempt I’ve seen. Not what you’d expect from a dominant tackler - that said, Watson is a very good player.

Wainwright was good when he burst onto the scene and throughly deserved his accolades, but he’s probably reached his peak - as you’d expect from someone still new to rugby compared to guys who have been in pro academies most of their life. That said he’s still better than some in the Wales team right now.

Aside from our wingers there aren’t any welsh players who should be near a Lions test team.

Good at what he does and will do that all day. Dont think hes a good enough carrier and personally I'd have him missing out for wales let alone the lions.

Watson should be in a great position to tour. Very good player.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:12 pm

rugby racing and beer wrote:

I wholeheartedly disagree. I'd suggest you're reading too much in to paper talk and the constant 'grass is greener' chat that fuels modern day broadcasting/PR/media.

I see nothing to suggest Underhill is about to be dropped. For me, he's a better player than Curry, but does things that are less flashy than him. Also, what he does...well, there's no nice way of saying this...more casual fans or people who didn't play back row don't instinctively see or perhaps understand. His contributions and his class is above Curry's. He's the closest thing to a Warburton reincarnation as you could get, at least the Warburton of later in his career who became a more rounded player. Go back and watch the semi final v NZ and you'll see.

I'm interested to see how the new boys go but it's a big step up from club to test rugby. I'm not sold on Willis yet. Looks big and strong but also a penalty machine. England already have that in Itoje where it's acceptable given what he adds when he's not getting pinged, they don't need another.

Underhill has been excellent in combination with Curry for some time. It's a combination that works. For me I'd take Curry over Underhill every time because he has more to his game. Underhill chops them low, is quicker than he looks and is hard to shift when he's over the ball. He's not a great link man and he doesn't put himself into enough positions to attack ball in hand, though him turning Barrett inside out was phenomenal.

Curry does all those things though. He is probably the most complete backrow in the NH. He's developing his game to the point where there are few weaknesses. He's even a good jumper at the lineout.

Underhill isn't about to be dropped but there's a lot of competition coming for the flanker berths and because Curry is so well rounded a player it's Underhill's spot that will come under threat. His tendency to get injured won't help him either. Earl scored a lot of tries last season and Willis was a turnover machine that packs a real punch. Yes Willis has a tendency to give away penalties but that's an area of his game that can be refined down with experience and international rugby. Earl needs to tighten up some areas of his game but is explosive.

Willis could well be a Lion's wild card if he has another season like last one and takes those performances into the top European competition.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:15 pm

I would say they were really like for like in any way other than they both like to tackle. Moriarty is a blunt option but if you want things hitting hard in attack and defence then he's there and can play 6 and 8. Probably more of a mid week option.

Underhill is a defensive openside and will be trying to fend off competition for his England place and show there's more to his game and particularly that he's a player capable of linking play.

formerly known as Sam

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:17 pm

rugby racing and beer wrote:

Underhill has been excellent in combination with Curry for some time. It's a combination that works. For me I'd take Curry over Underhill every time because he has more to his game. Underhill chops them low, is quicker than he looks and is hard to shift when he's over the ball. He's not a great link man and he doesn't put himself into enough positions to attack ball in hand, though him turning Barrett inside out was phenomenal.

Curry does all those things though. He is probably the most complete backrow in the NH. He's developing his game to the point where there are few weaknesses. He's even a good jumper at the lineout.

Underhill isn't about to be dropped but there's a lot of competition coming for the flanker berths and because Curry is so well rounded a player it's Underhill's spot that will come under threat. His tendency to get injured won't help him either. Earl scored a lot of tries last season and Willis was a turnover machine that packs a real punch. Yes Willis has a tendency to give away penalties but that's an area of his game that can be refined down with experience and international rugby. Earl needs to tighten up some areas of his game but is explosive.

Willis could well be a Lion's wild card if he has another season like last one and takes those performances into the top European competition.

Fair enough.

For me, I see enthusiasm in Curry but also a short lifespan for how long he can play the way he can. The same applies to Underhill tbh but I don't think he is any more 'complete'. He's not a link man either and, for me, Underhill reads the game better. Neither has particularly great hands or footballing skills but I wouldn't hold that againt them.

I think in terms of ability, all the Lions flankers could come from England. Particularly if Gatland wants like for like in the midweek. It won't happen, but it could.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Curry's primary asset is that he's smart. He's also filled out a lot physically from when he started. All players can have bad luck from injuries but in all honesty there is no reason to believe he's going to be particularly susceptible.

Underhill on the other hand looks and behaves overpowered for his frame (if that makes sense) and more prone to injury.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2