The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour running commentary - July

+12
superflyweight
JAS
Davie
beninho
Good Golly I'm Olly
I'm never wrong
pedro
incontinentia
super_realist
GPB
McLaren
robopz
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour running commentary - July - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour running commentary - July

Post by robopz Fri 03 Jul 2020, 6:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just a tbought... Since Kwini is apparently taking a break (but we hope to have him back soon)... maybe it's time to start a new thread...

I have no interested trying to create notes...  But it appears that the big topic right now beyond getting golf started again is BRYSON and the other bombers obliterating golf courses.

Wouldn't it be crazy if Bryson DeChambeau turned out to be the catalyst to finally get the USGA and R&A off their collective asses regarding distance... Or are they too busy negotiating TV contracts and upgrading clubhouses to even care about the state of the game anymore?

Anyway... If y'all approve (and the mods have an interest in pinning this up top) maybe we can converse here?  It's up to you.

robopz

pedro, BlueCoverman and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour running commentary - July - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour running commentary - July

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jul 2020, 9:12 am

Shame he'll miss the cut.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour running commentary - July - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour running commentary - July

Post by incontinentia Tue 14 Jul 2020, 9:55 am

super_realist wrote:Shame he'll miss the cut.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the schadenfreude if he does
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jul 2020, 10:27 am

He's more of a harmless pantomime villain to me. Don't genuinely dislike him, just think he's a bit of a fat lazy git. Plenty of people in sport an awful lot worse than him. At the moment Lewis Hamilton gets my goat, because he's an absolute c0ck.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 14 Jul 2020, 11:37 am

Dont know much about Lewis, have been considering getting back into F1 though. I hear the netflix show is good (drive to survive).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 14 Jul 2020, 1:09 pm

How good was the ending to the memorial lite?

The first time through 18 during the play off was just insane, I have never seen two puts of such length holed when it mattered.

And not since Tiger has a player adapted so well to PGAT life as Morikawa has.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 14 Jul 2020, 2:05 pm

Also looking forward to the Memorial, some of those groupings are pretty sweet.

Tiger Woods
Rory McIlroy
Brooks Koepka

Phil Mickelson
Justin Rose
Shane Lowry

Bryson DeChambeau
Collin Morikawa
Patrick Cantlay

Dustin Johnson
Justin Thomas
Xander Schauffele

Whenever you tune in on thursday or friday there should be some interesting groups on the coverage.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jul 2020, 2:13 pm

Phil and Justin must be gutted to have a hanger on in their group

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 14 Jul 2020, 2:57 pm

Since the restart, three players that do not have Masters invites have crashed the OWGR Top 50 party and two of them have crashed it significantly.

Daniel Berger was 107th after Bay Hill, and is now 28th.
Viktor Hovland was 58th after Bay Hill, and is now 33rd.

Kevin Streelman was 91st after Bay Hil, and is now 44th.

None of these players will get a Masters invite, unless the committee decides to extend them a "Ryo Ishikawa"-esque type invite.

Being inside the Top 35, Berger and Hovland are nearly guaranteed to stay in the Top 50 until the Masters, Streelman will have to have at least one more good finish to stay in the Top 25 until November.

Viktor Hovland has been 1st in Strokes Gained Tee to Green for the Last Three Tournaments, which has never been done before in the Strokes Gained era,

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 14 Jul 2020, 3:33 pm

super_realist wrote:Phil and Justin must be gutted to have a hanger on in their group
Cram it, bagpipe breath
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 14 Jul 2020, 4:24 pm

I'd hardly say headlining it.
With the return of Botox Face I would think they'll be ignoring Lowry's shots and focusing on slo-mo shots of Botox scratching his arse as usual.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 14 Jul 2020, 5:03 pm

super_realist wrote:I'd hardly say headlining it.
With the return of Botox Face I would think they'll be ignoring Lowry's shots and focusing on slo-mo shots of Botox scratching his arse as usual.
Super, given the recent leakage of images of Tiger's member do you think some more appropriate monikers might be Tripod Tiger, Donkey Woods or Elephantiasis Eldrick?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 14 Jul 2020, 8:09 pm

incontinentia wrote:
Super, given the recent leakage of images of Tiger's member do you think some more appropriate monikers might be Tripod Tiger, Donkey Woods or Elephantiasis Eldrick?
Are you looking for an invite to Tiger's "Member" Guest?   Whistle

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 14 Jul 2020, 8:17 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Prince Drac saying that it is the strongest PGA Tour event ever; strength of field > 800; stronger than any playoff event and stronger than the last 8 Masters. https://twitter.com/VC606/status/1282749661137326081
Just ridiculous how good the fields have been over here since the restart.  Weisberger back in play this week, with he and Fleetwood on next week's 3M list. (3M field will be quite a bit down though, certainly less than 50, maybe even low 40's. Players taking a breather before ramping up for the WGC, PGA & FedEx playoffs, then US Open)

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 14 Jul 2020, 8:32 pm

Playoffs before the majors?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 14 Jul 2020, 10:28 pm

beninho wrote:Playoffs before the majors?
Yep... Strange times we're living in... 😮

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 14 Jul 2020, 10:53 pm

incontinentia wrote:
No wonder Tiger was that good, carrying an extra club all that time.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 14 Jul 2020, 11:41 pm

FWIW, PGA Championship is before the Playoffs.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 15 Jul 2020, 7:46 am

Whats the point of having these playoffs this year. Keep the events, just rebrand them. Knock the playoofs bit on the head. Seems utterly pointless.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 15 Jul 2020, 2:47 pm

What does it hurt?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 15 Jul 2020, 5:09 pm

PGATour Asian Events unlikely, maybe relocated to California

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2020/07/14/pga-tours-asian-swing-increasingly-unlikely-with-west-coast-stops-potential-fill-ins-119753/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 15 Jul 2020, 7:30 pm

I never knew that Jack Nicklaus had a serious case of polio when he was 13 yrs old

https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/1283323848990097408

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 15 Jul 2020, 9:11 pm

Jack Nicklaus vows to continue the tradition of shaking hands with the winner of the Memorial nope

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1153334/
incontinentia
incontinentia

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 15 Jul 2020, 10:22 pm

incontinentia wrote:Jack Nicklaus vows to continue the tradition of shaking hands with the winner of the Memorial :nope:

He has never been a smart man.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 15 Jul 2020, 10:56 pm

McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Jack Nicklaus vows to continue the tradition of shaking hands with the winner of the Memorial nope

He has never been a smart man.
Its putting the winner in a tough spot. I'm sure most of the players want to abide by the covid 19 prevention guidelines, especially on international television. But if Jack Nicklaus offers you his hand are you really going to refuse it?!?!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 16 Jul 2020, 12:15 am

Just disinfect immidiately after.

Or wear a golf glove on the right hand.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 16 Jul 2020, 1:37 pm

pedro wrote:Just disinfect immidiately after.

Pedro, Jack clearly wants to make a political point about how he doesn't agree with the anti covid measures. Washing your hands won't stop that.

Not sure what the anti mask brigade are being called (would maskers work, along the lines of birthers), but whatever they are called it seems Jack is one.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 16 Jul 2020, 1:58 pm

McLaren wrote:
pedro wrote:Just disinfect immidiately after.

Pedro, Jack clearly wants to make a political point about how he doesn't agree with the anti covid measures. Washing your hands won't stop that.

Not sure what the anti mask brigade are being called (would maskers work, along the lines of birthers), but whatever they are called it seems Jack is one.

You're extrapolating a lot from his actual words. Just because he has won more Majors than Woods has or is likely to doesn't mean that you have to jump on everything he says.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 16 Jul 2020, 2:05 pm

Superfly

He is a big Trump guy. There is a high chance he is a masker?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 16 Jul 2020, 2:09 pm

I know nothing of his politics, but other than saying he would extend his right hand, he's fairly measured in his comments in that article.

Wouldn't be the first 80 year old not to understand the seriousness of Covid and to adopt a fairly fool-hardy aproach to their own safety and the safety of others.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 16 Jul 2020, 3:13 pm

Looks like the Conspiracy Conspirators are in high gear.

Jack and Barbara were watching the charity match yesterday (Rahm-Finau vs Poulter-GMac) and at times they were both wearing masks.

Jack and the players have tested CV19 Negative. Some hand sanitizer afterwards and access to soap and water, what else do you want them to do.

Just another case of media making a mountain out of a molehill.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 16 Jul 2020, 4:35 pm

GPB wrote:Looks like the Conspiracy Conspirators are in high gear.

Jack and Barbara were watching the charity match yesterday  (Rahm-Finau vs Poulter-GMac) and at times they were both wearing masks.

Jack and the players have tested CV19 Negative.  Some hand sanitizer afterwards and access to soap and water, what else do you want them to do.

Just another case of media making a mountain out of a molehill.
I dont know GPB, I think its important for icons like Jack (and also the players) to show a good example by following the guidelines. Especially as the US President is actively opposing those guidelines. Even if hand sanitiser is used, Jack will be very close to the person and probably say a few words and dispense some droplets.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 16 Jul 2020, 5:22 pm

Watching Featured Groups- a number of them struggling for par on every hole. Interesting to see them having a hard time.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 16 Jul 2020, 10:48 pm

IMO it’s not so much what Jack wants to do. Yes he should set an example, but he has made up his mind.

The delicate issue is the players shaking his hand. IMO they should just bend over and do it - and then take appropriate measures immidiately afterwards.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 17 Jul 2020, 1:06 am

Muirfield Village is a pretty tough golf course when the wind blows.. 73.9 average today. Cut looks to be maybe +3, so a lot of those big names who look like they're in trouble now may not be. Shouldn't be as windy tomorrow.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 17 Jul 2020, 10:15 pm

They’re gonna need to stop the broadcast, this is bad for Bryson’s brand
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 18 Jul 2020, 2:34 am

If Bryson's so smart, how come he has to close his eyes to count up to 10 ?!

Plunky

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 18 Jul 2020, 3:33 am

In today's telecast, Terry Gannon asked Faldo what "ranking" (rankings) he would like to lead in the PGATour Stat section.

Faldo replied with "Proximity"

Hey Sir Nick, IMO, Proximity is an over-rated stat in the PGATour stat pages.  Here's why.

The fine print of the Proximity stats says

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.331.html

Fine Print on the bottom of page wrote:The average distance the ball comes to rest from the hole (in feet) after the player's approach shot. The approach shot distance must be determined by a laser, and the shot must not originate from on or around the green. The shot also must end on or around the green or in the hole. Note: 'Around the green' indicates the ball is within 30 yards of the edge of the green.

Here is one of the things that "biases" this statistic

Player A, attempts to get home in two on a reachable par 5. His attempt is 25 yds away from the hole, and pitches to 3 ft and makes the birdie

Player B, on the same hole, lays up to 100 yds and hits his wedge shot to 8 feet and misses the putt

Which player had the better proximity?

Player A's proximity? 75 feet
Player B's proximity? 8 feet

Two weeks ago at the Rocket Mortgage, guess who was DFL in proximity?  It was Bryson DeChambeau. Winner of the Rocket Mortgage.  I guess it was because his 2nd shots on Par 5's were (nearly) always within 30 yds of the green, and many of his drives on Par 4's were also within 30 yds of the green.  Basically "sabotaging" his proximity metrics.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.331.y2020.eon.t524.html

GPB

Shotrock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 18 Jul 2020, 10:17 am

Haha Bryson. He comes across as easily the biggest pr!ck in golf.

beninho

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 18 Jul 2020, 2:46 pm

Ok, BdC screwed up on one hole and missed the cut by two. Sh!t happens. Had he made par, I’m sure he would have been in the mix Sunday.

But yeah, it’s a pain to listen to his whining.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 18 Jul 2020, 2:51 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Phil and Justin must be gutted to have a hanger on in their group
Cram it, bagpipe breath
Evidence that Newtons Laws apply. Lowry dragging Rose into the hole.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 19 Jul 2020, 8:40 pm

Didn't see it, but it appears that Phil laid up on a 173 yard par 3. Pitched on and missed his par putt.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 19 Jul 2020, 9:11 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Didn't see it, but it appears that Phil laid up on a 173 yard par 3. Pitched on and missed his par putt.

He also used his putter on his 2nd shot to #13. From 78 yds from the hole.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 19 Jul 2020, 10:28 pm

Rahm looking to be new OWGR #1.

Jack tested positive for Corona antibodies. So he’s probably not that concerned about shaking hands.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 Jul 2020, 11:56 pm

Quite the weekend collapse from Tony Finau
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 20 Jul 2020, 5:04 am

Rahm is getting a really bad reputation with taking some liberties.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 20 Jul 2020, 7:37 am

Penalty for that, seems ridiculous. It is also probably unfair. If, a camera isn't zoomed into to every shot out of the rough in the whole competition its not really fair on the people it happens to. But again, looks like a nonsense penalty.

beninho

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Jul 2020, 9:17 am

That used to happen to me all the time, so much so that I now hover the club when taking a shot from the rough. Even if you address with the club well behind the ball, it will often cause the ball to move. Rahm is a super player, I hope isnt purposely taking liberties.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Jul 2020, 10:28 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Quite the weekend collapse from Tony Finau

Too musy shagging his six wives.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Jul 2020, 10:36 am

pedro wrote:Rahm looking to be new OWGR #1.

Jack tested positive for Corona antibodies. So he’s probably not that concerned about shaking hands.
Sounds like both him and the wife got it really mild considering they're both 80.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 20 Jul 2020, 10:43 am

super_realist wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Quite the weekend collapse from Tony Finau

Too musy shagging his six wives.

Think he's only got one.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next