The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+21
Plunky
JDizzle
BlueCoverman
Davie
superflyweight
LadyPutt
McLaren
Duty281
Jeff Navarro
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirbenson
robopz
kouchi
incontinentia
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
GPB
25 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 3 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

PGATour Running Commentary- Aug 2020

1. Last week:  Justin Thomas overcame a 4 shot deficit to win the WGC-FEDEX St Jude by three shots over a four players of Tom Lewis, Daniel Berger, Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka   Richie Werenski won the Barracuda event, by one point over Troy Merritt.

2. After he won the Memorial, Jon Rahm took the #1 OWGR ranking from Rory, and now after winning the FEDEX, Justin Thomas took the #1 spot.  

3. This week is the PGA Championship, with most of the OWGR Top 100 players in the field.  The tournament venue is at Harding Park, which has hosted two WGC tournaments in the last 20 years.  Here are some finishes by players in this years field:  Woods (1), Garcia (3), Stenson (3), GMac (6), Furyk (15)Poulter (18), Mickelson (29), Scott (29), ZJohnson (43),  The Match play was played at Harding Park in 2015, won by Rory, beating Woodland in finals.  Players advancing to the Round of 16, include Willett, Furyk, Casey, Oosty, Fleetwood, Fowler, Hideki, and Leishman.

4. Only two more tournaments to qualify for the FEDEX playoffs, some notable players that are currently inside the Top 125, but probably have not clinched a spot in the Northern Trust (Tom Lewis (#117), Russell Knox (#120,  Paul Casey (#121), Charl Schwartzel (#123).  Some players just barely outside the Top 125 include Nick Watney, Zach Johnson, Matt Wallace, Shane Lowry, RCB, Sergio, and Justin Rose. Some players that need a big week to get inside the Top 125 include Willett, Dufner, Power, Walker, Stenson

GPB

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:23 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:How good was that? Until Colin chipped in then got his eagle that was wide open with 5+ guys at -10 during one point in the back nine.

Maybe I have just been starved of major golf but that felt like one of the most enjoyable majors I have watched since The Cats prime.

Do you think Botox is finished now in regards to not being able to compete with the likes of Morikawa, Champ, De Mad Scientist, Wolff, Hovland etc?

Yes.

But despite my fanboydom I had been saying he was done from about 2015, and then he won the 2019 masters. I would need to look into his stats but it still looks like he has more control over his irons than most, but I am not sure about his driving and putting.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 pm

inco

As i said above, the cat is done. on friday he missed 5 or more makeable putts. He probably plotted his way around the course better than the leaders but still couldn't score well. Hopefully GPB or robo have the stats but lost in all the chat about his back I suspect Tiger hasn't putted well for a decade.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:34 pm

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:How good was that? Until Colin chipped in then got his eagle that was wide open with 5+ guys at -10 during one point in the back nine.

Maybe I have just been starved of major golf but that felt like one of the most enjoyable majors I have watched since The Cats prime.
It was great. Looked like we were heading for a 10 man playoff until Collin seized the trophy from the others' grasp. DJ and Koepka will be distraught today. Great to see the next generation of players coming through. My main takeaways from the tournament were as follows:
-Everyone was ragging on Li for hitting the driving range after his 2nd round, but when Woods did it back in the day he was seen as a hero. Double standards much??
-I could identify with the players trying to hit bunker shots out of sandless bunkers, glad I'm not the only one who finds this difficult.
-The tv announcers had to apologise a lot for the bad language of the players. Are players doing this on purpose? I notice Poulter flatulated directly into a microphone at a different event. I think the players are having fun with the mike situation.
-I dont think Tigers done yet. As some have said, Augusta may be his best chance of another major, but the British Open can also suit older types less able to bomb it.
Does anyone else, other than me, find this pathetic in the extreme?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Pathetic that the players are swearing or pathetic they are apologising?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:43 pm

super_realist wrote:Pathetic that the players are swearing or pathetic they are apologising?
Pathetic that broadcasters are apologising on behalf of someone else. They do it for all sorts these days, even rugby ffs. If it offends some sensitive ears, don't watch or mute the sound.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 pm

In the football they tend to say its contractural that they have to apologise. Usually say that they understand people find it annoying. I would assume that its the same for all live sport

beninho

robopz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Hey all... A few thoughts...

GREAT tournament on an excellent course. Time zone issues for most of you must have really sucked though. I don't miss the fans watching the first three rounds, but in the final round it's just not right. I definitely believe no fans makes it easier for the less experienced major participants. Still think Morinowa would have been there anyway though. 

I got no problem with Kaymer, rules regulations or not. I get how difficult it is to dual tour for those who want to share their play fairly equally across both the PGA and Euro tours. So some of these guys schedule PGAT based on making the playoffs. If they don't, they know they're going to fall short and probably not make their minimum. But the penalty of losing their membership for the next season is more than sufficient IMO. (And some of those effectively lose their PGAT membership forever because its hard to get back unless you have a long term winner's exemption like Kaymer did).

I think this trend of "young guns" doing so well early in their careers it's just the way it's going to be in the future. They are so much better prepared and talented when they get there now, The old formula of needing a couple of years of seasoning just no longer applies. 

Of course the clock is ticking on Tiger, but I still think he has more years in him where he can be competitive almost any week (not every week but ANY).  But... That's entirely dependent on his back being stable enough that he can practice enough & play often enough to stay reasonably sharp. Playing no more than he has, just making the cut this week was pretty damn good IMO. But it was also clear early on he was nowhere near sharp enough to contend. He's qualified for at least the first two playoff events. It'll be interesting to see how he does with that having more rounds under his belt.  Obviously his best chance would be Eastlake. But he's got some work to do to even get there. 50/50 (or less) IMO.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:49 pm

beninho wrote:In the football they tend to say its contractural that they have to apologise. Usually say that they understand people find it annoying. I would assume that its the same for all live sport  
Yeah, can see how that's probably the reason. Annoying, but that's the way it is.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

robopz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:10 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:Pathetic that the players are swearing or pathetic they are apologising?
Pathetic that broadcasters are apologising on behalf of someone else. They do it for all sorts these days, even rugby ffs. If it offends some sensitive ears, don't watch or mute the sound.
Agree Navy, especially after the watershed. I guess its another example of snowflake culture.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:17 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Thing is, who the f*** is offended by swearing?

super_realist

pedro, incontinentia and robopz like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:18 pm

RE: TV

Cursing - broadcasting certain curse words is prohibited by the FCC over here. FCC allows some leeway with live broadcast, but if the broadcaster isn't apologizing or acting like they take the regulations serious, they face potential heavy fines.

Who you see: CBS/NBC/ESPN/GC tailor their broadcasts to American audiences because that's who they're broadcasting too. The fact that they may not be showing enough of the shots of players you may want to see has nothing to do with anything anti Europe. It's about who they think creates more interest within their audience. The last couple of weeks I've heard a lot of whining about not showing enough Shane. Supposedly people think he deserves more coverage because he won the Open last year.  Sorry. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it don't work that way. For whatever reasons, Shane has almost no following over here. But then US Open winner Gary Woodland hasn't got much of a following over here either.  Just like Shane, unless he's up in there contending you can pretty much forget about seeing any Woodland shots.

But what I don't like is the US broadcasters over reliance on feature groups and "popular" players. I too wish they showed more shots of players deeper in the field. Too often they miss players coming up through the field into contention because they're too focused on just the lead groups. They NEED to follow every shot Tiger makes cuz he's Tiger (and it annoys Super). but they don't need to be showing Tiger standing around scratching his a** when there's other important action going on somewhere else.  It's maddening sometimes.

Actually ESPN did an extraordinarily good job with deeper coverage in their early round and early weekend coverage. But when it got back to CBS, it was the same old stuff. Uggg.

But usually it's not a problem for you guys because the feed you  see on SKY are different than ours in that they can pull whatever camera feeds they want to suit their audience. But apparently during this pandemic reduced staff,/facilities on site, SKY hasn't had the ability to select their feeds like usual. Oops. Sorry. But it is what it is until this thing is over.

robopz

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Usually you're restricted by what the host broadcaster is transmitting, at least that's what happens in the World Cup, Olympics, Ryder Cup, Rugby World Cup etc and home broadcasters add their own commentary onto it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:17 pm

robopz wrote:....Who you see: CBS/NBC/ESPN/GC tailor their broadcasts to American audiences because that's who they're broadcasting too. The fact that they may not be showing enough of the shots of players you may want to see has nothing to do with anything anti Europe. It's about who they think creates more interest within their audience. The last couple of weeks I've heard a lot of whining about not showing enough Shane. Supposedly people think he deserves more coverage because he won the Open last year.  Sorry. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it don't work that way. For whatever reasons, Shane has almost no following over here. But then US Open winner Gary Woodland hasn't got much of a following over here either.  Just like Shane, unless he's up in there contending you can pretty much forget about seeing any Woodland shots.

But what I don't like is the US broadcasters over reliance on feature groups and "popular" players. I too wish they showed more shots of players deeper in the field. Too often they miss players coming up through the field into contention because they're too focused on just the lead groups. They NEED to follow every shot Tiger makes cuz he's Tiger (and it annoys Super). but they don't need to be showing Tiger standing around scratching his a** when there's other important action going on somewhere else.  It's maddening sometimes.

Actually ESPN did an extraordinarily good job with deeper coverage in their early round and early weekend coverage. But when it got back to CBS, it was the same old stuff. Uggg.

But usually it's not a problem for you guys because the feed you  see on SKY are different than ours in that they can pull whatever camera feeds they want to suit their audience. But apparently during this pandemic reduced staff,/facilities on site, SKY hasn't had the ability to select their feeds like usual. Oops. Sorry. But it is what it is until this thing is over.
This makes sense I guess. What I don't get, as a golfer, is the assumption that I'm only interested in shots by a handful of so-say marquee players. Sure, I have players I 'like' over others, but I'm actually interested in good golf shots/putts by anyone. I also like to see how the pros deal w/ adversity etc. Maybe everyone watching is as much of a numbskull as it appears the broadcasters assume, but I can't believe that. Or maybe I'm just odd...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:26 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:This makes sense I guess. What I don't get, as a golfer, is the assumption that I'm only interested in shots by a handful of so-say marquee players. Sure, I have players I 'like' over others, but I'm actually interested in good golf shots/putts by anyone. I also like to see how the pros deal w/ adversity etc. Maybe everyone watching is as much of a numbskull as it appears the broadcasters assume, but I can't believe that. Or maybe I'm just odd...

I don't think the members on this board are the target audience Navy, as you surmise.....Agree with you on your points, especially when the players call for a ruling. I like to know what they are thinking, in case I can use the rules to my advantage. (Burrowing ants excepted).

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:37 pm

robopz wrote:RE: TV

Cursing - broadcasting certain curse words is prohibited by the FCC over here. FCC allows some leeway with live broadcast, but if the broadcaster isn't apologizing or acting like they take the regulations serious, they face potential heavy fines.

Who you see: CBS/NBC/ESPN/GC tailor their broadcasts to American audiences because that's who they're broadcasting too. The fact that they may not be showing enough of the shots of players you may want to see has nothing to do with anything anti Europe. It's about who they think creates more interest within their audience. The last couple of weeks I've heard a lot of whining about not showing enough Shane. Supposedly people think he deserves more coverage because he won the Open last year.  Sorry. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it don't work that way. For whatever reasons, Shane has almost no following over here. But then US Open winner Gary Woodland hasn't got much of a following over here either.  Just like Shane, unless he's up in there contending you can pretty much forget about seeing any Woodland shots.

Thanks Robopz - would agree on your middle paragraph about the feature groups and "popular" players, we saw an awful lot of Phil, Tiger and Rory on Sunday that we really didn't need too. I also find the CBS stuff annoying having watched week in, week out...constant breaks and the stupid "Konica swing vision" and air shots of the city they are in...just show me the golf! Also annoying that so many shots are shown so far behind when they actually happen, sometimes the PGA tour app has updated a good 5-10 minutes before they show the shot...albeit appreciate in current climes they are restricted of course.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:44 pm

Pga is abominable at playing shots out of order. You'll see a ball stiff to the pin when another one is played, then you'll see the shot which went close immediately after.
It's almost as if the production team have never played golf. It's like showing a penalty being converted then immediately after you see the incident which caused it. Pathetic.

super_realist

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Yes the ad breaks on sky were insufferable.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:31 pm

I heard someone repeat a tweet or comment from a golf journalist that basically went something like this, the CBS coverage is produced as if the brands associated with the tour and the tour are the product and the customer is the corporate entities that own them. While the ESPN coverage is produced as if the product is the golf and the customers are the viewers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:30 pm

Van Rooyen has done enough qualify for PGA Tour membership for next season.  Christiaan Bezuidenhout at 233 is in field at Wyndham. So is Matthias Schwab at 246.  It looks like somewhere around 275-280 is going to be safe to qualify.  That equates to about a 20th place needed for Schwab, and about a 25th for Christiaan. Anything below 30-33 place has almost no chance for either

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:46 pm

McLaren wrote:I heard someone repeat a tweet or comment from a golf journalist that basically went something like this, the CBS coverage is produced as if the brands associated with the tour and the tour are the product and the customer is the corporate entities that own them. While the ESPN coverage is produced as if the product is the golf and the customers are the viewers.
I can see where people feel that way.

One thing I'll give Finchem credit for: it at least seemed like the golf was the number one priority, but make no mistake about it, they needed to sell commercials and do placement to pay for it all.

I like Jay Monahan a lot better as a relatable person, but every time I hear him speak and from what I see on TV, now it seems more like "the golf is little more than 'content' to be monetized to the maximum extent possible".

I will say NBC at least seems to do better in that environment. But CBS seems more and more out of touch with what the viewer wants.  ESPN nailed it IMO.  They did a fantastic job I thought

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 pm

The thing is I get that they have to put the adverts in to get the ad revenue and that they present the tour in a certain light to try and maximize which brands will associate with the coverage but it does make for a pretty dreadful viewing experience.

At what point would you actually get more eyes on the coverage and therefore better ad revenue because they produce it in a way that makes golf appear way more interesting and exciting to watch?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:08 pm

Anyone know how to watch the US am at bandon this week in the UK?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:16 pm

McLaren wrote:The thing is I get that they have to put the adverts in to get the ad revenue and that they present the tour in a certain light to try and maximize which brands will associate with the coverage but it does make for a pretty dreadful viewing experience.

At what point would you actually get more eyes on the coverage and therefore better ad revenue because they produce it in a way that makes golf appear way more interesting and exciting to watch?
Mac... The best coverage we're getting now is the Online feature group coverage.  They have an occasional ad break, but not near as many and the broadcast has good coverage and continuity. I really think that's the direction that it's all going anyway...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:21 pm

McLaren wrote:Anyone know how to watch the US am at bandon this week in the UK?
Don't know if these will work Mac, but have you tried the Golf Channel App or via Amazon?

By the way I know you're not interested in the players- its the course you fancy.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:59 pm

I have amazon prime, will I get it on that?

And yes, it is for the courses. OK
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:44 pm

I still don’t understand why there isn’t a market for ad free sports on TV. Especially in the US where the ad breaks are insufferable. For golf could be a parrallel online streaming service with uninterrupted feed. For other sports they have to tone down the artificial breaks. I know it’s part of the culture as all major sports have a lot of natural breaks already, but still, the product is slowly being torn apart as I see it, especially nowadays where people have so easy access to alternative sources of entertainment online.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:25 am

Brooks is getting a lot of heat for his perceived trash talk at the end of round 3 and subsequent failure to play well on sunday. Personally I enjoyed his comments and think golf could do with more of this kind of needle instead of the usual safe, cookie cutter responses to questions.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:49 am

Some of you CBS TV Golf Critics might be interested in this.

Personally I think this shows that CBS did a pretty good job of showing golf shots on Sunday.

http://www.classictvsports.com/2020/08/shot-chart-from-cbs-sunday-pga.html

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:58 am

A tweet from Amanda Balionis (on the CBS crew) about the webpage I just linked

https://twitter.com/Amanda_Balionis/status/1292971591584817152

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:18 am

GPB

Fine, they managed to show a decent spread of players (Although surely you agree that Casey coming into the 18th being on tape delay was pretty grim?). And yet the coverage is often an utterly dire viewing experience. From the commentary team that are nothing more than an extension of the PGAT marketing team to the endless ad breaks.

Maybe there is a cultural divide coming in here because US TV is generally unwatchable for a brit but it feels like there must be a more engaging way to present the PGAT to a TV audience.

F1 moved behind a pay wall in the UK, from free to air TV, and shows no ad's during the race or immediately after. Why can't some of the TV money in golf be used to lessen the ad burden during the coverage (and the Konica Minolta bizhub swing vision burden)? This along with the commentary teams getting more autonomy from the PGAT official line would make an instant improvement.
McLaren
McLaren

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:25 am

PS, if they really want to fix the coverage they could just show every second of Tigers range session, putting practice, pre round snack, full 18 and post round towel down. And if he is not playing a highlights package of his greatest moments.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:27 am

incontinentia wrote:Brooks is getting a lot of heat for his perceived trash talk at the end of round 3 and subsequent failure to play well on sunday. Personally I enjoyed his comments and think golf could do with more of this kind of needle instead of the usual safe, cookie cutter responses to questions.

I like Brooks trash talking but DJ seemed like an odd target. Was that likely that he was going to get a reaction out of him?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am

DJ is too thick to realise its about him.

Mac is spot on about interviews. Most people are ridiculously sanitised and Woods is probably the worst for the "paint by numbers" interview. No insight, no spontaneity, same responses every single time. Makes Steven Gerrard and Rooney look articulate and interesting.

"that was tough out there, really tough"
"we had a lot of fun out there"
"need more reps" Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:33 pm

McLaren wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Brooks is getting a lot of heat for his perceived trash talk at the end of round 3 and subsequent failure to play well on sunday. Personally I enjoyed his comments and think golf could do with more of this kind of needle instead of the usual safe, cookie cutter responses to questions.

I like Brooks trash talking but DJ seemed like an odd target. Was that likely that he was going to get a reaction out of him?
If you're going to trash talk, in any sport, you have to be prepared to face the blowback if you don't/can't back it up. Hopefully, Koepka has a thick enough skin and realises this is a part of it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:49 pm

I think Brooks is great. Especially it seems he's given up on having a filter. Nothing wrong with it. Doesn't even have to be serious, just some jokes and jabs are fine.

beninho

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:

If you're going to trash talk, in any sport, you have to be prepared to face the blowback if you don't/can't back it up. Hopefully, Koepka has a thick enough skin and realises this is a part of it.
I'd say Brooks has elephant hide. He has a history of making these type of statements, which to be honest are the only thing that make him somewhat interesting as everything else he says is incredibly dull.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I’ve never watched a sport that shows less of what is actually happening in that event, than golf. Has it always been this bad, or is it just Covid related? (Ie. Less cameras on the course?)

We’ve now spent 15 minutes watching players hit on the practice grounds. Show the bloody course!
Watch the European Tour coverage - far better, fewer breaks with interminable leaderboards, shots of the sky, trees, flowers, and ghastly commentators. Very entertaining golf, too.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:44 pm

The best thing about watching the ET is that you see a lot of the shots you are used to seeing in your regular 4 ball.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:41 pm

McLaren wrote:The best thing about watching the ET is that you see a lot of the shots you are used to seeing in your regular 4 ball.
Don't be ridiculous.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:59 am

IMO, Golf is far more interesting with some villains, especially if they own.

I would have liked Tiger if he had just owned being a villain.  He just wanted to behave like a bad boy but wanted all the adulation of a hero.

Patrick Reed, Brooks Koepka, and DeChambeau are all making the game more interesting.

For us Yanks, Seve, Faldo, and Monty made excellent fodder as villains.  Seve for his gamesmanship, Faldo and his personality of a doorknob, and Monty for his lack of wins on the PGATour.

Nicklaus was a villain back in the 1960's, somewhat tolerated in the 1970's and a hero in the 1980's.

I hope Koepka never stops the trash talking.

GPB

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:53 am

GPB wrote:IMO, Golf is far more interesting with some villains, especially if they own.

I would have liked Tiger if he had just owned being a villain.  He just wanted to behave like a bad boy but wanted all the adulation of a hero.

Patrick Reed, Brooks Koepka, and DeChambeau are all making the game more interesting.

For us Yanks, Seve, Faldo, and Monty made excellent fodder as villains.  Seve for his gamesmanship, Faldo and his personality of a doorknob, and Monty for his lack of wins on the PGATour.

Nicklaus was a villain back in the 1960's, somewhat tolerated in the 1970's and a hero in the 1980's.

I never liked Faldo much either, but an American accusing him of lacking personality is a bit rich when American golfers have been incredibly dull over the years. It has been said Americans don't get irony.

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:22 pm

GPB wrote:IMO, Golf is far more interesting with some villains, especially if they own.

Me neither, but only as long as it doesn't descend to the realms of boxing...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:23 pm

super_realist wrote:

I never liked Faldo much either, but an American accusing him of lacking personality is a bit rich when American golfers have been incredibly dull over the years. It has been said Americans don't get irony.
Stereotypical baloney. I know plenty through work, and they get it and use it in gags, perfectly fine. They're probably a bit sharper up top though, than your average Tour golfer (more stereotyping, but what the Hell...).
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Well GPB just demonstrated his lack of irony understanding but we already know he lacks knowledge in a few linguistic areas as previously shown. It was a point well shown and if many Americans saw Faldo as a villain as GPB claims for the same reason as he does then there's more confirmation of lack of irony comprehension isn't it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:46 pm

I usually enjoy these breakdown videos on youtube but the one Brooks did put me to sleep. The only reason he has a girlfriend is because he's handsome.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:52 pm

I presume you mean "handsome" by the standards of other golfers. He looks like an Aussie barfly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:02 pm

"...Well GPB just demonstrated his lack of irony understanding but we already know he lacks knowledge in a few linguistic areas as previously shown...."

"...It was a point well shown and if many Americans saw Faldo as a villain as GPB claims for the same reason as he does then there's more confirmation of lack of irony comprehension isn't it...."

"lacks knowledge in a few linguistic areas"?

That's funny. Especially from someone who constructs sentences like these two that I quoted. (Now, that is irony!)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:08 pm

I'll not take advice on the English language from someone who doesn't even know what libel, slander or a strawman is if that's OK with you?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm

super_realist wrote:I presume you mean "handsome" by the standards of other golfers. He looks like an Aussie barfly.
Ah no he's a good looking lad by any standards. Shame he has the charisma of a rice cake.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:20 pm

A foursome of notable Europeans are just outside the FEX Top 125 (#130 #131, #132, #133) are playing the Wyndham this week.

Lowry, Wallace, RCB and Garcia all have a reasonable chance to get inside the Top 125 and play the Northern Trust. Top 20 finishes by each should be enough for each of them.

Willett (#144) is a little further back and needs a top 10 to get inside.

Stenson and Molinari are not playing Wyndham and will not play in the FEX Playoffs.

Important to remember that no one will be losing status next season because of the pandemic.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next