The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+20
Plunky
JDizzle
BlueCoverman
Davie
superflyweight
LadyPutt
McLaren
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirbenson
robopz
kouchi
incontinentia
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
GPB
24 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 4 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Mon 3 Aug - 23:53

First topic message reminder :

PGATour Running Commentary- Aug 2020

1. Last week:  Justin Thomas overcame a 4 shot deficit to win the WGC-FEDEX St Jude by three shots over a four players of Tom Lewis, Daniel Berger, Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka   Richie Werenski won the Barracuda event, by one point over Troy Merritt.

2. After he won the Memorial, Jon Rahm took the #1 OWGR ranking from Rory, and now after winning the FEDEX, Justin Thomas took the #1 spot.  

3. This week is the PGA Championship, with most of the OWGR Top 100 players in the field.  The tournament venue is at Harding Park, which has hosted two WGC tournaments in the last 20 years.  Here are some finishes by players in this years field:  Woods (1), Garcia (3), Stenson (3), GMac (6), Furyk (15)Poulter (18), Mickelson (29), Scott (29), ZJohnson (43),  The Match play was played at Harding Park in 2015, won by Rory, beating Woodland in finals.  Players advancing to the Round of 16, include Willett, Furyk, Casey, Oosty, Fleetwood, Fowler, Hideki, and Leishman.

4. Only two more tournaments to qualify for the FEDEX playoffs, some notable players that are currently inside the Top 125, but probably have not clinched a spot in the Northern Trust (Tom Lewis (#117), Russell Knox (#120,  Paul Casey (#121), Charl Schwartzel (#123).  Some players just barely outside the Top 125 include Nick Watney, Zach Johnson, Matt Wallace, Shane Lowry, RCB, Sergio, and Justin Rose. Some players that need a big week to get inside the Top 125 include Willett, Dufner, Power, Walker, Stenson

GPB

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 4 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Thu 13 Aug - 5:39

Not surprising, but the Masters announces that there will be no fans in November.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 4 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by beninho Thu 13 Aug - 6:06

https://golf.com/gear/robot-testing-modern-equipment-balata-ball-results/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 13 Aug - 6:40

GPB wrote:Not surprising, but the Masters announces that there will be no fans in November.

[pedant mode] There have never been any fans at The Masters. Only "patrons" [/pedant mode off]

Personally I think calling them patrons is puerile. Like when "passengers" became "customers" to railway companies. Call them what they are.
And the TV companies pander to them, correcting anyone who says anything different.

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt and pedro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Aug - 16:50

Patrons is a truly stupid term that only an American tournament would come up with.

How good is the course going to look in November anyway? Plant life will have all died back, deciduous trees will have little to no leaves, turf will be different. Can't see it being much of an event.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 13 Aug - 19:28

JT's PGA tour debut in 2009. Look how young and scrawny he is!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Aug - 20:58

Thanks inco, that is very interesting. He was pretty cocky in his post round interview.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 13 Aug - 21:22

McLaren wrote:Thanks inco, that is very interesting. He was pretty cocky in his post round interview.
You think? I didnt pick up on that. I dont think its a bad thing though, Rory for example could probably do with a bit more cockiness. Did you see his comments after the PGA where said maybe he's not as good as he was? Reminiscent of Sergio who has made self-defeating comments in the past. I hope Rory gets over his current funk and bags a few wins soon.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 13 Aug - 21:40

inco

As far as I know Rory said that sarcastically, a couple of the journalists on the call said it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 14 Aug - 0:12

incontinentia wrote:

I usually enjoy these breakdown videos on youtube but the one Brooks did put me to sleep. The only reason he has a girlfriend is because he's handsome.
...and rich!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 14 Aug - 0:33

McLaren wrote:inco

As far as I know Rory said that sarcastically, a couple of the journalists on the call said it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
Oh right, the article I read portrayed it as if he was being serious. Still though, a lot of truth is spoken in jest. I was only thinking that last week, that when we first came on tour he seemed to be in contention more thsn he is now.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 14 Aug - 5:31

incontinentia wrote:

Always nice to hear Peter Oosterhuis. Under-rated golf broadcaster. Towards the end of his career, he had a habit of giving a faint chuckle ( a real life LOL) after many of his sentences. Example of this behavious was the 53 second mark. I think it might have been a leading indicator of his Alzheimers.

Hope he is doing OK

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 14 Aug - 8:04

GPB wrote:
incontinentia wrote:

Always nice to hear Peter Oosterhuis.  Under-rated golf broadcaster.  Towards the end of his career, he had a habit of giving a faint chuckle ( a real life LOL) after many of his sentences.  Example of this behavious was the 53 second mark.  I think it might have been a leading indicator of his Alzheimers.

Hope he is doing OK
Yes Peter was always one of my favourite commentators. He always had a pleasant and cheerful disposition. Didnt know he had alzheimers, thats very sad.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 15 Aug - 3:08

US Amateur : a match all square playing the 18th. A players ball goes into the bunker. His caddie goes into bunker and rubs hand on sand. Hole lost => match lost. Click Here

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Aug - 5:14

Shane Lowry with a 2nd round 63 to get himself well inside the projected Top 125 bubble.

If he doesn't qualify for the playoffs, he says he has a buddy trip lined up, in Rhode Island.

I can think of better places than Rhode Island for a Buddies trip.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Aug - 15:40

Maybe Shane doesn't find the Hall of Fame as interesting as you do and wants to go somewhere he can go out on the lash and eat.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 16 Aug - 2:02

A WUMming we will go
A WUMming we will go
Hi Ho the Merry-EEOH
A WUMming we will go

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 16 Aug - 2:08

GPB wrote:A WUMming we will go
A WUMming we will go
Hi Ho the Merry-EEOH
A WUMming we will go

You're the one who bullied Kwini out of here with your nonsense so don't have a go at me for giving it back to you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 16 Aug - 11:28

That was two months and you are STILL butthurt about that? How long do you carry grudges anyways. Grow a pair, will ya?

I would like to see Kwini back, even apologized to him on these boards.

There had to be more than what I said that drove him away.

Have you ever considered that you might been some of those straws on the camel's back. Of course you haven't. You think you're perfect in every possible way. The FIGJAM of the 606v2 discussion forum.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 16 Aug - 21:15

In regards to Kwini? I have a very cordial relationship with Kwini and we have never once crossed swords and even at times communicated by private email so yes I am completely confident that I have not done or said anything that pushed him away.
If you weren't so bloody arrogant you might be able to see that no one but you seems to have issues with him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 16 Aug - 23:33

This is becoming a trend now. Broks lets one rip at the Wind-ham championship...

(Its at the very end).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 16 Aug - 23:39

super_realist wrote:In regards to Kwini? I have a very cordial relationship with Kwini and we have never once crossed swords and even at times communicated by private email so yes I am completely confident that I have not done or said anything that pushed him away.
If you weren't so bloody arrogant you might be able to see that no one but you seems to have issues with him.

If private emails are the standard, I have exchanged emails with him and he even he invited me for a cold beverage when I passing through his home town when I was going to Vermont two summers ago.,

I am bloody arrogant?. That's Rich. Very rich

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Aug - 2:26

I have been hesitant to reach out to kwini in a PM or email because there is no point in trying to add pressure for him to come back if he decided he needed a break. But I do wonder if some of us could reach out to him pretty soon because it would be very sad to lose him from here.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 17 Aug - 7:23

Danny and Denny McCarthy in contention.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 17 Aug - 7:27

incontinentia wrote:This is becoming a trend now. Broks lets one rip at the Wind-ham championship...

(Its at the very end).
He blew that hole.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Aug - 16:02

If you won't accept that perhaps find an example where Kwini and i have had a crossed word or even a disagreement because there isn't one. I have never once had any sort of argument with him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 18 Aug - 18:05

Jim Herman seems to have dedicated his victory to President Trump, Rolling Eyes x infinity.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Aug - 19:36

Who is Jim Herman? Is he the guy who invented The Muppets?

super_realist

pedro and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 18 Aug - 19:37

super_realist wrote:Who is Jim Herman? Is he the guy who invented The Muppets?

You are thinking of Kermit the frog.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 18 Aug - 23:12

He's the guy who beat off Billy Horschel and Webb Simpson at the weekend.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 19 Aug - 3:12

McLaren wrote:

You are thinking of Kermit the frog.
So Kermit invented the Muppets?

Always thought Beaker looked like Ian Poulter though...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 19 Aug - 5:32

incontinentia wrote:
He's the guy who beat off Billy Horschel and Webb Simpson at the weekend.

Oo-er Mrs, I think Webb's god's punishment for that is to be stoned to death.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 19 Aug - 8:21

Bit of a weird season obviously but thought this was interesting.

Fewest PGA Tour starts among players who qualified for the FedEx Cup playoffs:

12—Shane Lowry, Justin Rose, Jon Rahm, Rory McIlroy, Webb Simpson
11—Tom Lewis, Louis Oosthuizen, Dustin Johnson
10—Tommy Fleetwood, Patrick Cantlay
9—
8—Adam Scott, Tyrrell Hatton
7—
6—
5—Tiger Woods

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rapaport

Sort of shows how few players can get into the fedex play offs while playing a limited schedule.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 20 Aug - 11:14

super_realist wrote:If you won't accept that perhaps find an example where Kwini and i have had a crossed word or even a disagreement because there isn't one. I have never once had any sort of argument with him.

Well that makes one poster here who you haven't had an argument then.

Apparently you are not self aware enough to know that your puerile posting is a drag on everyone here.  AS Kwini had more posts per day, your constant petty and juvenile insults to other posters, and golfers.  Everyone here knows that you are the most perfect person in the world, so there is no need to point out shortcomings of others.  606v2s very own FIGJAM.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Aug - 17:02

I see Brooks has pulled out of the NT, essentially ending his PGAT season. It has been a bit of a lost season for the athlete. I wonder if he will make it back for the US Ooen and the Masters?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 20 Aug - 18:23

McLaren wrote:I see Brooks has pulled out of the NT, essentially ending his PGAT season. It has been a bit of a lost season for the athlete. I wonder if he will make it back for the US Ooen and the Masters?

He looks to be clearly struggling with his knee issue, which is then putting strain on other areas of his body - is it going to be a long term issue he needs to manage, or something with some time off he can "get over"? I tend to think it might be more long term than Brooks would like to let on...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Plunky likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Aug - 18:52

I watched 5 minutes of the PGA highlights on ITV4 last night (because that's all I could handle)

How on earth do Americans put up with such wretched commentary? It is absolutely hopeless. No humour, no spontaneity, no insight just state the obvious utter nonsense by the pathetic Dottie Pepper and insipid Faldo ( I couldn't identify the other offenders)
At the very least get people in with voices that are pleasant to listen to. Dottie Pepper is like listening to a screeching karen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 20 Aug - 19:28

Faldo is awful.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Aug - 19:36

Faldo has become pretty predictable. I find that unless it is the final round golf is best watched on a second device while you do something else.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 20 Aug - 19:40

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
McLaren wrote:I see Brooks has pulled out of the NT, essentially ending his PGAT season. It has been a bit of a lost season for the athlete. I wonder if he will make it back for the US Ooen and the Masters?

He looks to be clearly struggling with his knee issue, which is then putting strain on other areas of his body - is it going to be a long term issue he needs to manage, or something with some time off he can "get over"? I tend to think it might be more long term than Brooks would like to let on...
Hope he's not going to be Tiger Woods mark 2 with the workout injuries.

According to Brooks' wikipedia page, his great uncle is major league baseball player Dick Groat!! Very Happy Smile Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh What an unfortunate name Laugh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Aug - 20:15

olly

If there weren't majors at the back end of this year I think it would be certain that we wouldn't see Brooks until 2021. But if this is a failed surgery and comeback then maybe he will skip the majors to get it right this time.
McLaren
McLaren

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Aug - 20:33

McLaren wrote:olly

If there weren't majors at the back end of this year I think it would be certain that we wouldn't see Brooks until 2021. But if this is a failed surgery and comeback then maybe he will skip the majors to get it right this time.

It's pretty amazing that in the day and age of well understood sports medicine and training techniques that golf is so far behind and that players continue to get needlessly injured.
It's not a contact sport, so injuries shouldn't be anything like as common as they are.
Seems things like swing speed and repetition are exceeding the ability of golfers and the knowledge to safeguard their bodies against such stresses.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Aug - 1:16

Super in most contact sports serious injury from contact is rare. It is the ligament, muscle and tendon injuries picked up out of contact that usually cause players to miss large periods of time.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Aug - 1:23

Don't believe you Mac. Sounds like you've just plucked that out of your arse.
Are you seriously saying that footballers and Rugby players pick up most injuries by simply running or turning in training rather than tackling or coming into contact etc?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Aug - 1:40

Don't follow rugby but in football I would guess most injuries are muscle injuries picked up outside contact.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Aug - 1:42

So it's a guess. Cheers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 21 Aug - 2:03

McLaren wrote:Don't follow rugby but in football I would guess most injuries are muscle injuries picked up outside contact.

Into which category would you put getting thwacked in the knackers by a thunderbolt of a shot hit by a man with large thighs?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 21 Aug - 5:10

Back to the PGA Tour - if I may - and my broken record - Poulter having his good round.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Aug - 21:25

I'm never wrong wrote:Back to the PGA Tour - if I may - and my broken record - Poulter having his good round.

People often talk about Poulter and not being a very talented golfer but I can't think of too many players who have maintained his ranking for as long as he has over the last 15-20 years.

He's a steady eddie and has a first class short game.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 21 Aug - 21:41

Was shocked when they were saying on Sky yesterday that he's never made the Tour Championship final 30, did he just not play as much in the US in the "prime" of his career?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 21 Aug - 21:46

I agree Super. I think he has got a lot out of his ability - nearly $26 million in prize money alone on the PGA tour alone. Starting off as an assistant pro to where he is now is a great testament to getting the most out of himself. He is one of the golfers I look to see how they are doing. I followed him for a few holes at the BMW Championship at Shotrocks course a couple of years ago. My comment was about him putting 4 good rounds together - which we have mentioned before - hence the broken record comment.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next