The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

+21
Plunky
JDizzle
BlueCoverman
Davie
superflyweight
LadyPutt
McLaren
Duty281
Jeff Navarro
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirbenson
robopz
kouchi
incontinentia
super_realist
pedro
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
GPB
25 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 2 Empty PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Mon 03 Aug 2020, 1:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

PGATour Running Commentary- Aug 2020

1. Last week:  Justin Thomas overcame a 4 shot deficit to win the WGC-FEDEX St Jude by three shots over a four players of Tom Lewis, Daniel Berger, Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka   Richie Werenski won the Barracuda event, by one point over Troy Merritt.

2. After he won the Memorial, Jon Rahm took the #1 OWGR ranking from Rory, and now after winning the FEDEX, Justin Thomas took the #1 spot.  

3. This week is the PGA Championship, with most of the OWGR Top 100 players in the field.  The tournament venue is at Harding Park, which has hosted two WGC tournaments in the last 20 years.  Here are some finishes by players in this years field:  Woods (1), Garcia (3), Stenson (3), GMac (6), Furyk (15)Poulter (18), Mickelson (29), Scott (29), ZJohnson (43),  The Match play was played at Harding Park in 2015, won by Rory, beating Woodland in finals.  Players advancing to the Round of 16, include Willett, Furyk, Casey, Oosty, Fleetwood, Fowler, Hideki, and Leishman.

4. Only two more tournaments to qualify for the FEDEX playoffs, some notable players that are currently inside the Top 125, but probably have not clinched a spot in the Northern Trust (Tom Lewis (#117), Russell Knox (#120,  Paul Casey (#121), Charl Schwartzel (#123).  Some players just barely outside the Top 125 include Nick Watney, Zach Johnson, Matt Wallace, Shane Lowry, RCB, Sergio, and Justin Rose. Some players that need a big week to get inside the Top 125 include Willett, Dufner, Power, Walker, Stenson

GPB

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by GPB Fri 07 Aug 2020, 9:07 pm

On the ESPN+ live streaming coverage, I saw a lot of Lowry.  His group (w/ Woodland, Koepka) was featured prominently.

Their group was finished before the primary ESPN coverage started.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary - Aug 2020

Post by incontinentia Fri 07 Aug 2020, 9:48 pm

Thanks GPB, I must check that out. I do like the insights of Ewen Murray on Sky though. They've shown all of Lowry's shots today Smile
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 07 Aug 2020, 9:49 pm

ESPN just showed every one of Shane's three shots on the opening hole. BIRDIE. LIVE.

If it wasn't shown on your side of the pond, it is not ESPN's fault.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Aug 2020, 9:53 pm

Fantastic round from Tommy Fleetwood, and another solid effort from Paul Casey too.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Aug 2020, 10:06 pm

Shane has got stuck in during lockdown, belly looking as big as it has in a while.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 07 Aug 2020, 10:28 pm

McLaren wrote:Shane has got stuck in during lockdown, belly looking as big as it has in a while.
Its mostly muscle. Have you seen the size of his upper back? He's been doing strength training in the gym, much more useful for golf than cardio.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 07 Aug 2020, 11:08 pm

Not a fan of Lucas Glover's hoodie. Doesn't look right on an older dude.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:18 am

Poor Shane's challenge seems to have fallen apart.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:40 am

GPB -Sorry, that's not consistent with the conspiracy theory. Where's Kwin?

In the meantime, anyone see Kaymer's score? He and peabrain can fly back as needed.

Fleetwood and Berger my dark horses at this point.

(Navy - Feel free to delete this post as I mentioned peabrain. Rolling Eyes )

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 08 Aug 2020, 10:00 am

What a god awful place to have a major. Thats my view, purely based on the horrific time difference. 10pm tee off is horrible.

And whats wring with Kaymer? Obviously he's had a stinker, but what is there to dislike about him?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 08 Aug 2020, 10:08 am

Very disappointing for Kaymer, it would be great if he returned to his form of circa 2010. He's not Germanating much these days.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:51 pm

incontinentia wrote:Very disappointing for Kaymer, it would be great if he returned to his form of circa 2010. He's not Germanating much these days.

There's a great set of videos about the Miracle at Medina and Martin Kaymer does one of them. He comes across as a really top bloke.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 08 Aug 2020, 4:05 pm

Its not Kaymer's golf acumen that bothers me, it is his willful and calculated disregard of PGATour regulations

The rule for PGATour membership is that if you belong to another golf tour (like the European Tour) you must play 15 PGATour events.  Which IMO, is not terribly onerous since 8 of those can be Majors and WGCs, which are co-sanctioned by the EuroTour.

In 2015, Kaymer set his schedule so he could 15 events in by playing 3 Playoff events.  (ahem) Good Plan, very poor execution.  The 2015 PGA Championship was his 12th event and he was way outside the Top 125 and was not going to make the playoffs.  He did add Wyndham at the last second but did not make the playoffs.

Despite being the 2014 Players and US Open Champ, he lost his membership for a few years.  He got his membership back in 2019 but did he learn his lesson.  Nope, as he only play 14 events.  But whined and complained that his failure to get into the Open Championship as first alternate should count as a played event.   The Tour acquiesced and Kaymer was able to retain conditional status for the 2019-20 season.

FWIW, Kaymer is not the only Euro that gets in trouble with the Minimum event requirement.  Stenson treads that line almost every year, and Thorbjorn Olesen only played 14 events in 2014,

If a player want to play an elite schedule, you got to play like an Elite Golfer.

Last edited by GPB on Sun 09 Aug 2020, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 09 Aug 2020, 12:31 am

Is it Paul Casey's time?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 09 Aug 2020, 2:14 am

Shotrock wrote:GPB -Sorry, that's not consistent with the conspiracy theory. Where's Kwin?

In the meantime, anyone see Kaymer's score? He and peabrain can fly back as needed.

The conspiracy is real, Lorenzo Vera was hardly shown today.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:17 am

GPB wrote:Its not Kaymer's golf acumen that bothers me, it is his willful and calculated disregard of PGATour regulations

The rule for PGATour membership is that if you belong to another golf tour (like the European Tour) you must play 15 PGATour.  Which IMO, is not terribly onerous since 8 of those can be Majors and WGCs, which are co-sanctioned by the EuroTour.

In 2015, Kaymer set his schedule so he could 15 events in by playing 3 Playoff events.  (ahem) Good Plan, very poor execution.  The 2015 PGA Championship was his 12th event and he was way outside the Top 125 and was not going to make the playoffs.  He did add Wyndham at the last second but did not make the playoffs.

Despite being the 2014 Players and US Open Champ, he lost his membership for a few years.  He got his membership back in 2019 but did he learn his lesson.  Nope, as he only play 14 events.  But whined and complained that his failure to get into the Open Championship as first alternate should count as a played event.   The Tour acquiesced and Kaymer was able to retain conditional status for the 2019-20 season.

FWIW, Kaymer is not the only Euro that gets in trouble with the Minimum event requirement.  Stenson treads that line almost every year, and Thorbjorn Olesen only played 14 events in 2014,

If a player want to play an elite schedule, you got to play like an Elite Golfer.

How can you blame Kaymer in the current conditions? Better get a letter in to the Hall of Fame for his impending and inevitable membership to express your disgust.
Botox Baldy Boy Woods doesn't exactly meet his requirements either, but I notice you let him off Scot free.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 09 Aug 2020, 8:14 am

I dont see any of that as a reason to dislike Kaymer.

In fact, it makes me appreciate him more, he will do things his way. He isn't an all in guy, likes what he does and doesn't feel the need to go all in to America.

Bit like Pepperall, seems happy playing where he does, no real interest in America.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Aug 2020, 9:15 am

incontinentia wrote:
Shotrock wrote:GPB -Sorry, that's not consistent with the conspiracy theory. Where's Kwin?

The conspiracy is real, Lorenzo Vera was hardly shown today.

The coverage (presumably US feed?) is just horrible. Barely saw Fleetwood/Day until they were the only ones left on the course, Finau/Schauffele/Wolff are all three back and think we saw about five shots of theirs all day. Watching the last few weeks it seems CBS really really struggle when there’s loads in contention to show them all...hopefully be better tonight
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 09 Aug 2020, 10:40 am

beninho wrote:I dont see any of that as a reason to dislike Kaymer.

In fact, it makes me appreciate him more, he will do things his way. He isn't an all in guy, likes what he does and doesn't feel the need to go all in to America.

Bit like Pepperall, seems happy playing where he does, no real interest in America.
I dont think anyone is saying they dislike him
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Aug 2020, 1:59 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:Its not Kaymer's golf acumen that bothers me, it is his willful and calculated disregard of PGATour regulations

The rule for PGATour membership is that if you belong to another golf tour (like the European Tour) you must play 15 PGATour events.  Which IMO, is not terribly onerous since 8 of those can be Majors and WGCs, which are co-sanctioned by the EuroTour.

How can you blame Kaymer in the current conditions? Better get a letter in to the Hall of Fame for his impending and inevitable membership to express your disgust.

What current conditions?  My examples were from past years, not anything current.

Botox Baldy Boy Woods doesn't exactly meet his requirements either, but I notice you let him off Scot free.

What is about

The rule for PGATour membership is that if you belong to another golf tour (like the European Tour) you must play 15 PGATour events

that you don't understand?  

Are you saying Woods is a member of another tour?  

Your reading comprehension is on a 2nd grade level.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Aug 2020, 1:59 pm

super_realist wrote:

What current conditions?  My examples were from past years, not anything current.

What is about

The rule for PGATour membership is that if you belong to another golf tour (like the European Tour) you must play 15 PGATour events

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Aug 2020, 2:12 pm

beninho wrote:I dont see any of that as a reason to dislike Kaymer.

American Express Credit Cards used to have a tagline.

"Membership has it privileges"

IMO, as far as PGATour goes

Membership has its privileges, and Membership has its obligations.

I fine with Pepperell. Westwood, and Kaymer if they don't want PGATour membership. But if you do want membership, follow the rules. They are not that onerous. 15 events is not a lot of tournaments

PGATour members who are NOT members of another Tour (like Tiger Woods) do NOT have to fulfill the 15 event requirement. They do lose some privileges like voting rights, but in they are relatively minor.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Aug 2020, 2:38 pm

Driving Distance and Fairway Percentage Rankings of the Top 12 players going into the final round of the 2020 PGA Championship

Column A is the Position in Tournament
Column B is the Driving Distance Ranking
Column C is the Fairway Accuracy Ranking

Code:
1   8   64   Dustin Johnson
T2   57   17   Scottie Scheffler
T2   1   31   Cameron Champ
T4   51   4   Collin Morikawa
T4   34   6   Paul Casey
T4   27   45   Brooks Koepka
T7   2   45   Bryson DeChambeau
T7   4   70   Tony Finau
T7   38   70   Justin Rose
T7   26   45   Jason Day
T7   32   6   Daniel Berger
T7   6   17   Tommy Fleetwood

A lot of pre tournament talking points was the rough and how a player must keep the ball in fairway. Week In Week Out, High Fairway percentage is not a key indicator of leaderboard success.

Jim Herman and Joost Luiten are leading the tournament in fairway percentage. They are both T59th in the tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 09 Aug 2020, 2:54 pm

I thought most people had realised that fairway hitting is not as important as distance. Especially on courses where its likely everyone will be in the rough, its better to be further down the hole.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 09 Aug 2020, 6:53 pm

Call me racist if you like, but I hope a non-American wins. There's not much diversity on the leaderboard.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:49 pm

Sorry to break off on to a tangent but with The Masters(my favourite event) taking place in November, will the first major in 2021 also be the Masters?

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 09 Aug 2020, 7:58 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Sorry to break off on to a tangent but with The Masters(my favourite event) taking place in November, will the first major in 2021 also be the Masters?
It will be the first Major to take place in 2021, but not the first Major of the 2020-21 season. So there will be six Majors next season. US Open, The Masters, The Masters, PGA Championship, US Open, The Open in that order.

I'm never wrong

Jeff Navarro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 09 Aug 2020, 8:11 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Sorry to break off on to a tangent but with The Masters(my favourite event) taking place in November, will the first major in 2021 also be the Masters?
It will be the first Major to take place in 2021, but not the first Major of the 2020-21 season. So there will be six Majors next season. US Open, The Masters, The Masters, PGA Championship, US Open, The Open in that order.
Thank you

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 09 Aug 2020, 8:36 pm

incontinentia wrote:Call me racist if you like, but I hope a non-American wins. There's not much diversity on the leaderboard.

There is no one from the American race in the field.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 09 Aug 2020, 8:38 pm

GPB wrote:
super_realist wrote:

What is about

I'm just yanking your chain because you're such a flag waving anti European 'Murcan, bit like the golf coverage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 09 Aug 2020, 9:11 pm

I’ve never watched a sport that shows less of what is actually happening in that event, than golf. Has it always been this bad, or is it just Covid related? (Ie. Less cameras on the course?)

We’ve now spent 15 minutes watching players hit on the practice grounds. Show the bloody course!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 09 Aug 2020, 9:28 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I’ve never watched a sport that shows less of what is actually happening in that event, than golf. Has it always been this bad, or is it just Covid related? (Ie. Less cameras on the course?)

We’ve now spent 15 minutes watching players hit on the practice grounds. Show the bloody course!

It's PGA/American tournament specific. They are as insular as your average American. European Tour is far more equitable in terms of coverage.

super_realist

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Aug 2020, 9:44 pm

incontinentia wrote:Call me racist if you like, but I hope a non-American wins. There's not much diversity on the leaderboard.

American is not a race.

I hope Justin Rose does not win, If Casey or Fleetwood wins, that would be all right with me so it is not an anti-Brit thing. I just don't like Justin Rose.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 09 Aug 2020, 10:39 pm

I hope shambles doesn't win. There's a good chance he will though.

I will also add, I didn't think no fans would really impact golf watching. But, its just as poor as the other sports without fans. But, shoukd make it easier for the players who haven't won a major. Really doesnt feel like a major more like one of those pga events in Korea with no fans.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 09 Aug 2020, 10:48 pm

GPB wrote:

American is not a race.

I hope Justin Rose does not win, If Casey or Fleetwood wins, that would be all right with me so it is not an anti-Brit thing.  I just don't like Justin Rose.
I'm not gone on Casey, he's always so smiley and gay. Seems not genuine.

Last edited by incontinentia on Sun 09 Aug 2020, 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 09 Aug 2020, 11:37 pm

super_realist wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I’ve never watched a sport that shows less of what is actually happening in that event, than golf. Has it always been this bad, or is it just Covid related? (Ie. Less cameras on the course?)

It's PGA/American tournament specific. They are as insular as your average American. European Tour is far more equitable in terms of coverage.

Eurotour coverage is pretty good if you have run out of sleeping pills.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 09 Aug 2020, 11:56 pm

incontinentia wrote:Is it Paul Casey's time?
Well, is it?!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:27 am

Shame for Casey, hasn’t put a foot wrong here but Morikawa looks like he has this barring a complete meltdown
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:30 am

incontinentia wrote:
Well, is it?!

Would have been, if not for two brilliant shots from Morikawa. Probably Casey's last real opportunity of winning a Major.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:34 am

Duty281 wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Well, is it?!

Would have been, if not for two brilliant shots from Morikawa. Probably Casey's last real opportunity of winning a Major.
Hopefully not, he seems in good nick for a 43 year old.

Massive shot by Morikawa on 16, a deserved champion clap clap
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 10 Aug 2020, 2:45 am

Happy to see someone name "Collin" [sic] finally win a major.

#monty

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Aug 2020, 6:02 am

incontinentia wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Well, is it?!

What do you mean "for a 43 year old?"? You SHOULD be in "good nick" at 43. There's no excuse not to be.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:03 am

Another young player breakibg through early. Be interesting to see if Morikawa burns out early or has a long career.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:08 am

beninho wrote:Another young player breakibg through early. Be interesting to see if Morikawa burns out early or has a long career.

Looks a better player than Gordon Spieth who seems to have peaked and waned away and at least he pronounces his name properly and not like Colon Powell

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:11 am

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Well, is it?!

What do you mean "for a 43 year old?"? You SHOULD be in "good nick" at 43. There's no excuse not to be.
Well, 30+ years of swinging golf clubs can take its toll, just look at Woods. The movement is simply not good for one's back.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:24 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Another young player breakibg through early. Be interesting to see if Morikawa burns out early or has a long career.

Looks a better player than Gordon Spieth who seems to have peaked and waned away and at least he pronounces his name properly and not like Colon Powell

Players are definitely bursting on the scene a lot earlier, not all will get a major or more though. Its interesting to see when they peak earlier they fade away earlier. Not just Spieth struggling, Day is slipping down the rankings.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Aug 2020, 8:42 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Well, is it?!

Well, 30+ years of swinging golf clubs can take its toll, just look at Woods. The movement is simply not good for one's back.

Nothing wrong with it if you don't swing like a mad axeman like Woods and don't build up your body but neglect the key components like Woods did with his legs. Look at Couples, Els and Donald. Great swings and very rarely a back related injury.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Aug 2020, 10:29 am

How good was that? Until Colin chipped in then got his eagle that was wide open with 5+ guys at -10 during one point in the back nine.

Maybe I have just been starved of major golf but that felt like one of the most enjoyable majors I have watched since The Cats prime.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 10 Aug 2020, 11:11 am

McLaren wrote:How good was that? Until Colin chipped in then got his eagle that was wide open with 5+ guys at -10 during one point in the back nine.

Maybe I have just been starved of major golf but that felt like one of the most enjoyable majors I have watched since The Cats prime.

Do you think Botox is finished now in regards to not being able to compete with the likes of Morikawa, Champ, De Mad Scientist, Wolff, Hovland etc?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 10 Aug 2020, 11:53 am

McLaren wrote:How good was that? Until Colin chipped in then got his eagle that was wide open with 5+ guys at -10 during one point in the back nine.

It was great. Looked like we were heading for a 10 man playoff until Collin seized the trophy from the others' grasp. DJ and Koepka will be distraught today. Great to see the next generation of players coming through. My main takeaways from the tournament were as follows:
-Everyone was ragging on Li for hitting the driving range after his 2nd round, but when Woods did it back in the day he was seen as a hero. Double standards much??
-I could identify with the players trying to hit bunker shots out of sandless bunkers, glad I'm not the only one who finds this difficult.
-The tv announcers had to apologise a lot for the bad language of the players. Are players doing this on purpose? I notice Poulter flatulated directly into a microphone at a different event. I think the players are having fun with the mike situation.
-I dont think Tigers done yet. As some have said, Augusta may be his best chance of another major, but the British Open can also suit older types less able to bomb it.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next