The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major winner not given 5 year exemption

3 posters

Go down

Major winner not given 5 year exemption  Empty Major winner not given 5 year exemption

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 28 Aug 2020 - 17:26

Sophia Popov - winner of the AIG Open, has only been granted a one year exemption to the LPGA tour rather than the normal 5 years. This is because she was a member of the Symetry Tour - the LPGA  feeder tour and not a full LPGA member. Its in their rules apparently. Seems mean to me.

Last edited by I'm never wrong on Fri 28 Aug 2020 - 19:22; edited 1 time in total

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Major winner not given 5 year exemption  Empty Re: Major winner not given 5 year exemption

Post by Plunky Fri 28 Aug 2020 - 18:15

Agree, very mean. I wonder if this situation has ever come up before. A number of top golfers (male and female) are now complaining about it so maybe they'll rethink that rule. She has an interesting story in that she had undiagnosed lymes disease for years so she's only now coming back to full strength.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Major winner not given 5 year exemption  Empty Re: Major winner not given 5 year exemption

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 28 Aug 2020 - 19:22

Plunky wrote: I wonder if this situation has ever come up before. 
Not exactly this situation but Golf magazine reported that Lydia Ko and Lexi Thompson got special exemptions onto the LPGA tour due to their age. So there is precedent of the LPGA bending the rules, but maybe not this one.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 28 Aug 2020 - 22:01

It appears that it has happened several times before and none of the previous winners of Majors has had the 5 year exemption, including last years AIG Women's Open winner. LPGA Commissioner said he would look at the rule in the off season.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 29 Aug 2020 - 9:44

Its holf being rulesy and committed based. They will make a change to the rules, and Popov will miss out. Golf really doesn't help itself sometimes.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down