The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Friend - New Ireland Coach?

5 posters

Go down

Andy Friend - New Ireland Coach? Empty Andy Friend - New Ireland Coach?

Post by stevetynant Tue 27 Oct 2020, 7:33 am

I'm loving the way Connacht are playing I think their attack is the best of the 4 Irish Provinces at the moment - it occurred to me that giving Andy Friend the resources the National Side have in terms of player base, Ireland could really move on to the next level. This is not having a go at Farrell he needs time to be given his head and move out of the Schmitt era so he has time on his side at the moment and I'm already liking the way the box kick has nearly disappeared from the play book (and Munsters last night), but I'm thinking at this point there seems to be an alternative for the future appearing out West.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Andy Friend - New Ireland Coach? Empty Re: Andy Friend - New Ireland Coach?

Post by Pot Hale Tue 27 Oct 2020, 10:55 am

Friend seems to enjoying himself and developing the squad. He’s set his target this year for qualifying for playoffs and reaching knockouts in EPCR. We’ll see how he goes.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 27 Oct 2020, 7:41 pm

I think Joe showed that attack at club is different to international (though it could be argued he never tried)

Friend has definately built on Lam's work and made them seem more consistent. Part of that though is picking up some older heads.

Farrel has shown in his selection of the international squad shows playing at Connacht is nolonger a disadvantage that it might once have been.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 27 Oct 2020, 8:24 pm

Ireland aren't daft, otherwise they probably would have hired Pat Lam at the end of his Connacht contract, rather than allow him to continue to cut his cloth. WRU and Pivac take note.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 27 Oct 2020, 10:14 pm

Think its a bit early to be talking Friend up as next Ireland manager. There is some competation.

McFarland has done a fantastic job cutting the deadwood and bringing young players though and has them achieving more sooner than expected, has competed an ambitious 3 year plan in 2 years.
McCall would be in the running if he decides that he wishes to give international rugby a crack.
Lancaster would also be in the running if he decided to try international rugby again.

Who knows where things will stand in 3/4 years, if Farrell does a good job he may be there another 4 years.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Wed 28 Oct 2020, 12:26 pm

Yes good points but it does look like theres some good alternatives in the provinces at the moment and it also seems in these early days that the more pragmatic approach adopted by Munster and Ireland is being moved away from - I'm feeling pretty positive about things at the moment for sure.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down