The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gallagher Premiership 2020/21

+30
Poorfour
geoff999rugby
Ozzy3213
Margin_Walker
propdavid_london
RiscaGame
Welly
Recwatcher16
Highland Shaun
Duty281
Brendan
Sgt_Pooly
BamBam
rosbif
doctor_grey
mikey_dragon
BigGee
king_carlos
Gooseberry
lostinwales
Cumbrian
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
BigTrevsbigmac
Irish Londoner
TightHEAD
Geordie
No 7&1/2
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
34 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gallagher Premiership 2020/21 - Page 8 Empty Gallagher Premiership 2020/21

Post by LondonTiger Sun 15 Nov 2020, 10:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

The new season starts next weekend. What are people's hopes and expectations?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Gallagher Premiership 2020/21 - Page 8 Empty Re: Gallagher Premiership 2020/21

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 03 Jan 2021, 9:50 pm

king_carlos wrote: I seem to remember you suggesting that the only reason some 'English posters' pointed out extenuating circumstances in Tompkins defensive mistakes for Wales during the Six Nations was because he came through an English club and we only liked Wales players who had a connection to England. So which is is? Do all England fans hate all players who play for Wales? Or is it just Rowlands?

Or just perhaps might it be that we rate Rowlands but rate Launchbury who has nearly 70 caps at the same age much higher and a few other options higher still.

Yes I'm not bothered, I'm happy he's playing for us (like I've said a few times). You and Cumbrian seem really bothered though and keep going off on one. England's first choice locks are good players, including Lawes and Launchbury (like I've also said).

I'm really confused as to what you're trying to say in the bolded part. Are you sure I said something like that? As I really don't remember. Are you thinking of Miaow?

England fans have a dislike for Wales and all their players Carlos, that's never been a secret. It's not even up for debate Laugh.

You're welcome to rate Launchbury higher. I wasn't ever comparing a like-for-like between the players' capabilities.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 03 Jan 2021, 10:05 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
king_carlos wrote: I seem to remember you suggesting that the only reason some 'English posters' pointed out extenuating circumstances in Tompkins defensive mistakes for Wales during the Six Nations was because he came through an English club and we only liked Wales players who had a connection to England. So which is is? Do all England fans hate all players who play for Wales? Or is it just Rowlands?

Or just perhaps might it be that we rate Rowlands but rate Launchbury who has nearly 70 caps at the same age much higher and a few other options higher still.

Yes I'm not bothered, I'm happy he's playing for us (like I've said a few times). You and Cumbrian seem really bothered though and keep going off on one. England's first choice locks are good players, including Lawes and Launchbury (like I've also said).

I'm really confused as to what you're trying to say in the bolded part. Are you sure I said something like that? As I really don't remember. Are you thinking of Miaow?

England fans have a dislike for Wales and all their players Carlos, that's never been a secret. It's not even up for debate Laugh.

You're welcome to rate Launchbury higher. I wasn't ever comparing a like-for-like between the players' capabilities.
It is easy getting trolls mixed up to be fair.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 03 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm

king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Thing is..Steward is 6'5 isnt he? So he will put a few KGs on aswell.

He'll be some size of a full back.  Could be the one England are looking for.. but Jones seems to prefer a playmaker.

It's surely only a matter of time before Eddie calls up Steward.

Well he would have been watching this game and can only have been impressed. He was a rock at the back. Something i genuinely think England have lacked.

Just needs to continue improving alround which will come with playing games..he seems to have made that spot his own now already.

Whilst Tigers aren't playing great rugby yet it's nice to see young players keeping strong players out the first XV through performance rather than necessity. For a while it felt like Tigers just waited for injuries/international call ups to deplete the squad to the point where we had no choice but to throw inexperienced players out at once like sacrificial lambs.

Seeing Steward playing alongside Nadolo and van Wyk or Martin alongside Liebenberg and Wiese is so much more encouraging for the future.

Likewise the Falcons fans are encouraged that Dean is starting to play the kids more...and they are rewarding him with good performances.

We are now being limked with a shock move for Mike Brown..i hope not.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 03 Jan 2021, 10:12 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Likewise the Falcons fans are encouraged that Dean is starting to play the kids more...and they are rewarding him with good performances.

Stevenson and Wacokecoke really impressed me on Friday I must say. Wacokecoke in particular had a very assured performance against a strong Bristol backline.

Blamire and Radwan are also incredibly talented but I'd seen more of both previously.

As always the Falcons academy keeps pumping out talent.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 03 Jan 2021, 10:20 pm

king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Likewise the Falcons fans are encouraged that Dean is starting to play the kids more...and they are rewarding him with good performances.

Stevenson and Wacokecoke really impressed me on Friday I must say. Wacokecoke in particular had a very assured performance against a strong Bristol backline.

Blamire and Radwan are also incredibly talented but I'd seen more of both previously.

I thought the same. Wacokecoke has got some wheels on him as well. He'll catch out a few of the bigger slower centres with that outside break. Add in experience and physicality of Burrell and the international class of Orlandi then Falcons have some nice options in the centres. 

The salary cap reduces next season, any head coach/DOR who isn't looking at developing young players through now is thinking in a very short term way. Get the development lads up to speed this season and they are ready for next season and let's face it with all the disruption this season there's plenty of opportunities to get them involved.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 04 Jan 2021, 4:54 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

To be fair to you Mikey, you do have a bit of a point on Launchbury. I think a lot of us (English) remember Launchbury when he first burst on the scene under Lancaster. He did things that other locks didn't really do (offloads, breaks etc) yet still had the physicality to go with it (I recall him going toe to toe with Etzebeth, perhaps even getting the better). He's never really improved on this and to be honest, struggled to reach the consistency that we hoped, mainly due to a number of injuries.

He is a very good lock, but I'm not sure I would up him up against Lawes, Itoje and Kruis.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 04 Jan 2021, 9:21 am

king_carlos wrote:

Wakecoke is actually 25 now so not really a kid...but he's really starting to put in the performances now that we hoped for a few years back. He was stand out in the champs last season along with Stevenson...they both scored tries for fun.

Blamire has been on the horizon for the last few years, he really came through last season in the champs.

Keep an eye out for Chidera Obonna, he went to the RGS school up here. Local lad. 6'1 about 16 st, yet still looks lean..he is going to be outstanding in the centre.

Orlando looks a great signing. Exactly what we need. Once he settles..he'll have a big impact.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

To be fair to you Mikey, you do have a bit of a point on Launchbury. I think a lot of us (English) remember Launchbury when he first burst on the scene under Lancaster. He did things that other locks didn't really do (offloads, breaks etc) yet still had the physicality to go with it (I recall him going toe to toe with Etzebeth, perhaps even getting the better). He's never really improved on this and to be honest, struggled to reach the consistency that we hoped, mainly due to a number of injuries.

He is a very good lock, but I'm not sure I would up him up against Lawes, Itoje and Kruis.

We all hype our guys up, I just feel guys like Launchbury and Lawes were very overhyped back then. Cuthbert and North probably did get a lot of hype back then too, not often you see a winger of that size up here and isn't an islander Smile.

You're a mod? Gee... but welcome to the team anyway. I was asked before christmas and I accepted, probably get my badge tomorrow. My first task is to moderate Cumbrian Very Happy.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed 06 Jan 2021, 12:45 pm

Sounds like Saints v Tigers is the first casualty this week - 4 points to Tigers and 2 to Saints?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Jan 2021, 2:10 pm

Heaf wrote:Sounds like Saints v Tigers is the first casualty this week - 4 points to Tigers and 2 to Saints?
Presuming it's only Saints who couldn't field a side it will be 4 point to 2, yes. If Tigers have also had an outbreak it would be 2 points apiece I think but it would be news to me if Tigers had issues this week. As far as I know the players who missed the Bath game duet to testing positive after the Bayonne trip would have been available again this weekend.

A shame as I was looking forward to the Saints and Falcons games. 6 points won across the 2 games wouldn't be a bad result in terms of the table but with ringfencing seeming inevitable I'd so much prefer to have the games played and see where Tigers are at with Borthwick at the helm.

With the Bayonne game surely not going ahead it will mean at least 2 weeks off and no more Premiership games with the England players until after the Six Nations. I was enjoying watching the mix of talented younger players and quality senior players showing some cohesion.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 06 Jan 2021, 2:15 pm

I can't imagine that they could allow relegation this season given the number of games that will most likely be lost.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 06 Jan 2021, 3:02 pm

Will they "promote" Saracens and Ealing? Or just Saracens

Then ring fence

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Jan 2021, 4:09 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Will they "promote" Saracens and Ealing? Or just Saracens

Then ring fence
Definitely Sarries (PRL shareholder club). Possibly Ealing if they are considered "financially viable".

It sounds like the main justification for ringfencing will be that relegation could be financially fatal to some clubs after coronavirus has already hammered them.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 06 Jan 2021, 6:31 pm

Have the championship teams played at all this season? Their website still has Newcastle in the table... Are Sarries walking it?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 06 Jan 2021, 6:36 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Have the championship teams played at all this season? Their website still has Newcastle in the table... Are Sarries walking it?

I don't think they have played any games yet

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Jan 2021, 6:42 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Have the championship teams played at all this season? Their website still has Newcastle in the table... Are Sarries walking it?
The season was delayed until March but that was a while age before the new strain, third lockdown, a lot of unplayable Premiership games, whispers of the the Six Nations being delayed to allow fans, whispers of a Lions tour hosted in the UK, etc etc.

I can't see the Championship happening this season. They might play some friendlies or a short knockout cup type tournament towards the end of the season if things really settle down but it feels a long way off at current, sadly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 06 Jan 2021, 7:18 pm

The salary cap reduces next season,

Maybe Saracens will turn down promotion if its offered then

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 06 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm

That must be concerning if a host of Sarries will be starting for England. I imagine they’ll be wanted for the Lions too if that even goes ahead, Itoje was a shoe-in.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 06 Jan 2021, 9:52 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:That must be concerning if a host of Sarries will be starting for England. I imagine they’ll be wanted for the Lions too if that even goes ahead, Itoje was a shoe-in.
With the rate games are getting cancelled it wont make much difference!

Ford and Youngs have only played 2 Tigers games since the ANC. The Falcons and Saints games have both been cancelled, Bayonne game on 15th Jan looks certain to go the same way, I wouldn't be surprised if the Brive on 23rd Jan follows, by which point the England players would usually be back in training camp for the weekend before the Six Nations kicks off.

If anything I think Jones will be quietly pretty happy for players to be getting a break.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 07 Jan 2021, 6:50 am

Gooseberry wrote:
The salary cap reduces next season,

Maybe Saracens will turn down promotion if its offered then

Sarries have lost permanently Carre, Singleton, Lamisatele, Skelton, Kruis, Rhodes, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Barritt and Liam Williams. The incoming signings are relatively small time so they should be under fairly comfortably unless they make some hefty signings next summer. Some of the loans Lozowski, Tompkins, Earl and Mallins may not return as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 07 Jan 2021, 1:24 pm

Teams for the Bath v Wasps game tomorrow 7.45 at The Rec.

Bath: De Glanville; Watson, Joseph, Redpath, McConnochie; Priestland, Spencer; Obano, Dunn, Stuart, McNally, Ewels (capt), Faletau, Underhill, Mercer.

Replacements: Walker, Schoeman, Judge, Stooke, Bayliss, Chudley, Matavesi, Hamer-Webb.

Wasps: Sopoaga; Odogwu, De Jongh, Le Bourgois, Bassett; Umaga, Robson; West, Cruse, Brookes, Launchbury (capt), Rowlands, Gaskell, Young, J Willis.

Replacements: Taylor, McIntyre, Toomaga-Allen, Shields, T Willis, Porter, Gopperth, Watson.

Referee: Matthew Carley.

One change from last week for Wasps Thomas Young in at flanker with Jack Willis moving to 8 & his brother dropping to the bench.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 07 Jan 2021, 1:51 pm

Interesting that after all the recent fuss about Odogwu at 13 that he's been back on the wing in the last couple of games.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 07 Jan 2021, 2:05 pm

lostinwales wrote:Interesting that after all the recent fuss about Odogwu at 13 that he's been back on the wing in the last couple of games.

Yes I think that has more to do with Kibirige being given more rest time after being knocked out against Sale.
Hopefully Fekitoa will be returning soon so real competition across the backs.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 08 Jan 2021, 12:26 pm

Falcons team v Glos on Saturday

15 Tom Penny
14 Adam Radwan
13 Matias Orlando
12 Toby Flood
11 Ben Stevenson
10 Brett Connon
9 Sam Stuart

1 Trevor Davison
2 Jamie Blamire
3 Logovi'i Mulipola
4 Greg Peterson
5 Marco Fuser
6 Sean Robinson
7 Mark Wilson (captain)
8 Gary Graham

Replacements
16 George McGuigan
17 Adam Brocklebank
18 Mark Tampin
19 Darren Barry
20 Philip van der Walt
21 Louis Schreuder
22 Joel Hodgson
23 George Wacokecoke

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 1:53 pm

https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status/1347491196629884929?s=20

Falcons fighting against the weather to get the pitch playable. Given it's behind closed doors there must be the consideration of just moving the match to somewhere without snow? It's not like trying to play the game at another ground might coincide with a concert being hosted there!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 08 Jan 2021, 4:08 pm

Yeah its pretty cold up here even for our standards.

Im considering putting a jumper on...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 08 Jan 2021, 4:30 pm

Very Happy

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 08 Jan 2021, 5:18 pm

My goodness, when did people get so soft in Newcastle?
Putting a jumper on in January?
Next thing we know they will start to wear pants.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Jan 2021, 6:33 pm

doctor_grey wrote:My goodness, when did people get so soft in Newcastle?  

I presume you mean trousers. Up north it's still shorts weather, unless you're from Yorkshire in which case showing your legs is purely for sporting purposes only.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 08 Jan 2021, 7:20 pm

doctor_grey wrote:My goodness, when did people get so soft in Newcastle?  

Hey i said "considering " Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jan 2021, 8:35 pm

Breathless stuff at The Rec
29-24 at half time 3 tries to Wasps 2 to Bath. Indiscipline letting Wasps down.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 8:55 pm

That's a cracking try from Redpath.

A good poachers finish from Cruse just before as well.

I've only just turned on at half time but looks like a good game!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm

And a 3rd try of the second half by Odogwu who runs straight through Underhill on the way to the line!

Some suspect defence in the last 10 minutes but good attacking play as well.

Last edited by king_carlos on Fri 08 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jan 2021, 8:56 pm

Unbelievable- one for the scrapbook Odogwu walks through an Underhill tackle 36-38

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jan 2021, 8:58 pm

Agree with the Redpath try thatwas quality

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:11 pm

The Bath maul has started working at a key moment there. If they get a try here it would be a big swing in momentum.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:12 pm

Typically they spill the 5m lineout after I typed that.  Laugh

They've got another shot from 15m out though. If the maul can get moving again there's a danger of a yellow card too.

Heading for a very exciting finish.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:15 pm

That's an excellent turnover by Tommy Taylor.

Another missed touch from the penalty though...

This game is non stop!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:31 pm

Not the best defending from Matavesi I think it's fair to say.

Boy have Wasps been good in attack though.

It's the most complete performance I've seen from Odogwu in senior rugby.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:37 pm

39-52
7 tries to 3
Odogwu gets mom deservedly

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:42 pm

Final score 44-52 amazing game. Well played both sides on total entertainment

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 9:46 pm

A shame that Spencer couldn't slot the final conversion for the LBP as 5 points to 2 in the table would have felt a fair reflection.

The defending in the half I saw wasn't exactly stellar but some great attacking rugby.

Odogwu's second in particular was a nice set play from the lineout with the back peel and Cruse giving the inside ball.

Then Redpath's for Bath was really good.

Bath's play often seems to drop off when Priestland goes off.

king_carlos

BigTrevsbigmac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 08 Jan 2021, 10:21 pm

Blimey, that was a game mind. Hope Rowlands is okay, if not we’re fecced.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 08 Jan 2021, 10:23 pm

Bath Frak over by the Ref
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 08 Jan 2021, 10:24 pm

king_carlos wrote:A shame that Spencer couldn't slot the final conversion for the LBP as 5 points to 2 in the table would have felt a fair reflection.

The defending in the half I saw wasn't exactly stellar but some great attacking rugby.

Odogwu's second in particular was a nice set play from the lineout with the back peel and Cruse giving the inside ball.

Didn’t think RP was thought of that highly. He is quite erratic, had a stormer tonight though. I think he’ll go to Cardiff. Haven’t Bath already replaced him with a South African? Rumour is they’ve also lost Stooke.... to Wasps, who have signed him as a replacement for Super Rowlands.... who will be a Welsh Dragon Smile.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 08 Jan 2021, 11:31 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Bath Frak over by the Ref
How so this time TH?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 09 Jan 2021, 6:51 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
king_carlos wrote:A shame that Spencer couldn't slot the final conversion for the LBP as 5 points to 2 in the table would have felt a fair reflection.

Didn’t think RP was thought of that highly. He is quite erratic, had a stormer tonight though. I think he’ll go to Cardiff. Haven’t Bath already replaced him with a South African? Rumour is they’ve also lost Stooke.... to Wasps, who have signed him as a replacement for Super Rowlands.... who will be a Welsh Dragon Smile.

Priestland us Bath's only senior flyhalf, unsurprisingly they tend to lose structure when he goes off. Doubly so if Spencer goes off at the same time. Rumours are they've offered Cips a contract.

Typical don't watch the rugby instead watch a film with the boss and miss a classic. I'm sure BT will reshow it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 09 Jan 2021, 10:05 am

Well Odogwu might have had his demons but seems to have the bit between his teeth now.

Jones should be keeping an eye on him if hes looking for a genuine power runner.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 09 Jan 2021, 10:33 am

Who knows what Jones thinks after that! Some great attacking. Some eye catching youngsters.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 09 Jan 2021, 12:40 pm

king_carlos wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Bath Frak over by the Ref
How so this time TH?

You really need to ask, I take it you didn't watch it then.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next