The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

+44
whatahitson
No9
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
alive555
eirebilly
king_carlos
Highland Shaun
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Cyril
majesticimperialman
Heaf
doctor_grey
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
nickj
takethelongroad
flyhalffactory
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
EST
Mcsweens
demosthenes
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Geordie
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
bsando
TJ
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RDW
48 posters

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 8 Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:00 am

First topic message reminder :

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 8 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 08 Feb 2021, 6:56 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Does any one think that with Scotland winning first the first time in 38years at twickers they ( Scotland ) could possibly win the Grand Slam this year?

Definitely too experienced in supporting Scotland to believe this. We need to take it one game at a time. Anyone could beat us barring Italy. We equally could beat anyone but also could very well implode against Wales because we got too excited about winning at Twickenham then it's game over week 2.

Definitely not got into the habit of counting chickens with Scottish rugby!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 08 Feb 2021, 8:03 pm

We'll thrash Wales, beat Ireland by more than a score, eke out a win in Paris and then lose to Italy. Mark my words.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 08 Feb 2021, 8:04 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Does any one think that with Scotland winning first the first time in 38years at twickers they ( Scotland ) could possibly win the Grand Slam this year?

Definitely too experienced in supporting Scotland to believe this. We need to take it one game at a time. Anyone could beat us barring EVEN Italy. We equally could beat anyone but also could very well implode against Wales because we got too excited about winning at Twickenham then it's game over week 2.

Beating Engerlund merely lessens our chances of winning the Wooden Spoon.

jimbopip

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 08 Feb 2021, 8:09 pm

jimbopip wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Definitely too experienced in supporting Scotland to believe this. We need to take it one game at a time. Anyone could beat us barring EVEN Italy. We equally could beat anyone but also could very well implode against Wales because we got too excited about winning at Twickenham then it's game over week 2.

Beating Engerlund merely lessens our chances of winning the Wooden Spoon.

Italy could but I think we'd have to play exceptionally badly for that to happen.

I think we're safe from the spoon this year. 3 wins is still the minimum standard. 4 wins is great. 5 wins is remarkable.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 08 Feb 2021, 8:42 pm

Neily, despite my Eeyore-ish demeanour I think Saturday's performance was outstanding. In the past it might have been an outlier and been quickly followed by a reversion to something closer to the mean...but... Toonie has always had a seasoning of method in his madness.
"The Fastest Rugby In The World" didn't quite work out; but it took us away from where we were and morphed into this latest version of Toonie's Scotland.
I think one of the most impressive things about where we are now is the players who didn't start on Saturday; Dobie was 24th man, Sam Johnson, Adam Hastings, all eight on the bench, Blade Thompson, George Horne, Magnus Bradbury, Nick Haining, Kyle Steyn, Rory Hutcheson Spacey, Rambo and Chuckles. One of our traditional weaknesses has always been a lack of depth but we now seem to be suffering almost an embarresment of riches..
Toonie has developed a gameplan which functions well without relying on one or two gifted individuals to produce stellar performances but instead allows individuals to flourish within the team. This group of players can go on to become one of our best in a very long time. Can we beat Wales on Saturday? Given the state Wales are in, we can. They must feel like they lost at the weekend: a very lucky win against 14 men, numerous injuries to key players and very few bright spots in terms of individual performances. Can we beat them?
Whoever they select I think it will be a weaker team than they put out at Parc Y Scarlets recently. Our team looks like being slightly better. All we have to do to be better is not run out stand offs before the 80 minutes is up. So yes I think we CAN beat them. Will we?
I don't know but that's why we love watching Scotland so much.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm

Tell you what the kids these days don't know how good the've got it.

Thanks to the the Timehop app I can see that 8 years ago I posted on social media that it was 18 months since I last saw Scotland win at Murrayfield, and I had been to all the games.

That is why we shouldn't take anything for granted just now!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 08 Feb 2021, 9:54 pm

RDW wrote:Tell you what the kids these days don't know how good the've got it.

Thanks to the the Timehop app I can see that 8 years ago I posted on social media that it was 18 months since I last saw Scotland win at Murrayfield, and I had been to all the games.

That is why we shouldn't take anything for granted just now!!

Scott Johnson Scotland is a pretty low bar tbh! It's like saying it's okay that Edinburgh flopped in the semi finals because at least Hodge isn't caretaker coach!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 09 Feb 2021, 12:57 pm

To be fair to Scott Johnson, Andy Robinson, Frank Hadden etc.

There was a time when for Scotland to have scored their try on it would have been Dan Parks kicking it, chased by Nikki Walker, tapped down to Richie Vernon, passed back out to Parks before going through Graeme Morrison, Hugo Southwell and Scott Lawson before Simon Danielli barrelled over in the corner. Let's be honest, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Feb 2021, 1:04 pm

https://twitter.com/glove931/status/1359116954481664000

For anyone who has not seen it, our old alumini Glove has predictably produced something to commemorate the event!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 09 Feb 2021, 1:09 pm

The Finn carriage cracked me up 😂

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 09 Feb 2021, 4:46 pm

I miss the young trainee leprechaun GLove.

Did you see his merch shop? It's outstanding:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/glove39/shop?asc=u
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 09 Feb 2021, 8:33 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:The Finn carriage cracked me up 😂

That was amazing.

His best one yet!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 09 Feb 2021, 8:38 pm

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Greegzilla-by-glove39/51924906.WFLAH

Greegzilla. Just outstanding.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 09 Feb 2021, 11:07 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:The Finn carriage cracked me up 😂

Wheeeeeeeee
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 09 Feb 2021, 11:19 pm

Hello. I’d just like to apologise to Scottish fans following my posts on the match thread on Saturday. You were probably too busy celebrating to notice, but I posted some rather unsporting (and probably incomprehensible) bollox. Anyway, it was unfair and certainly not what I would have want to have posted in the cold light of day. Please accept my apologies.

You won fair and square and best of luck in the rest of the tournament. I hope England can improve and show some of the tenacity for the fight that Scotland showed last weekend.

All the best and onward and upward. Cheers Smile

Cyril

bsando and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 09 Feb 2021, 11:23 pm

Not going to lie Cyril, I can’t recall anything you said. Mods may have removed the post.

Anyhoo, appreciate the apology and no hard feelings from me personally (not surprising given I can’t remember what you said)

90% of us will just have been swept along with the celebrations so I’d not worry

But good on you for smoothing things over. As our (rather poopy) anthem goes, those days are past now and in the past they must remain

Seriously we need a better anthem folks
tigertattie
tigertattie

Cyril likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:29 am

Thanks, tatie Smile i’m In agreement on anthems improvement. Good luck on the weekend.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:43 am

Cyril wrote:Hello. I’d just like to apologise to Scottish fans following my posts on the match thread on Saturday. You were probably too busy celebrating to notice, but I posted some rather unsporting (and probably incomprehensible) bollox. Anyway, it was unfair and certainly not what I would have want to have posted in the cold light of day. Please accept my apologies.

You won fair and square and best of luck in the rest of the tournament. I hope England can improve and show some of the tenacity for the fight that Scotland showed last weekend.

All the best and onward and upward. Cheers Smile

Thanks for the message Cyril. The thread was generally in good spirits and you're not the first to have got a bit carried away in all the drama.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 10 Feb 2021, 6:58 am

No worries Cyril, can't remember seeing anything untoward written on the thread but can definitely empathise with feeling p*ssed off after a bad loss! Thanks for the apology though.

I assume it was about the national anthem, which I have even contacted the SRU about in the past. Even Highland cathedral would be better. Other nations have Katherine Jenkins singing in a tight fitting flowing dress, we'd have Kelly brown singing in a tartan skirt and a bloke behind him inflating and squeezing a tartan dug.

NeilyBroon

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 10 Feb 2021, 10:58 am

Cyriil Hug

No need to apologise for saying that tigertattie smells of Parma Violets and that FES regularly thrashes the parlour maid while reciting from Jacob Rees Moggs, "Starvation Encourages The Shiftless Poor".

Oh wait, that was me who posted that. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Feb 2021, 11:15 am

Is anyone else suddenly full of existential dread that were actually going to lose convincingly on Saturday and we'll be right back to square one? Let's not forget how uninspiring our ANC campaign was.

I'd say the chances of that are less than in previous years given the boom and bust approach is a thing of the past. Being Scotland it is still a possibility however!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:03 pm

RDW wrote:Is anyone else suddenly full of existential dread that were actually going to lose convincingly on Saturday and we'll be right back to square one? Let's not forget how uninspiring our ANC campaign was.

I'd say the chances of that are less than in previous years given the boom and bust approach is a thing of the past. Being Scotland it is still a possibility however!

Suddenly? Been like that since full-time on Saturday!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:51 pm

We're doomed!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:01 pm

Wales favourites. Shock horror!

Doomed I say, doomed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:10 pm

RDW wrote:Is anyone else suddenly full of existential dread that were actually going to lose convincingly on Saturday and we'll be right back to square one? Let's not forget how uninspiring our ANC campaign was.

Think that is a perpetual feeling....

Worried as we could not score that many points, even when playing with the ball and making breaks. the 2000's white line fever back?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:29 pm

Here is your kiss of death: I am now pulling for Scotland to win the whole thing. I think it would be great fun. Plus Irn bru for everyone?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:30 pm

jimbopip wrote:Cyriil Hug

No need to apologise for saying that tigertattie smells of Parma Violets and that FES regularly thrashes the parlour maid while reciting from Jacob Rees Moggs, "Starvation Encourages The Shiftless Poor".

Oh wait, that was me who posted that. Whistle

Ah, Jacob Rees Mogg, the greatest Victorian Prime Minister we'll never have.

Listen, I only thrash the staff when Scotland (or Rangers) lose, so the cricket bat has remained in the drawing room for now.

Honestly though Cyril, apologising like that is completely out of order and not in keeping with the hard won reputation of England fans on here. Next you'll be advocating ridiculous theories like the Lions should be picked on form, that a stuffed chimp would have won the World Cup in 2003 with that squad and that Woodward isn't in fact a stuffed chimp.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:31 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Here is your kiss of death:  I am now pulling for Scotland to win the whole thing.  I think it would be great fun.  Plus Irn bru for everyone?

Oh God, just don't. We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:33 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Here is your kiss of death:  I am now pulling for Scotland to win the whole thing.  I think it would be great fun.  Plus Irn bru for everyone?

Oh God, just don't. We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves!!

We'd find something to fret about!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2:56 pm

A bit of me is panicking at a little intrusive thought that keeps popping up " we could win this you know" a little devil whispers in my ear and then I just fall into a spiral of "oh no - don't think that, thats the kiss of death" " but we could"
repeat until you are a gibbering mess in the corner

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 10 Feb 2021, 3:03 pm

In a word, yes. Wales can still put out a squad that's packed full of blokes who have regularly enjoyed their trips up to Murrayfield, and they will be buoyed by their win.

I still think we're slight favourites, but we will have to play really well.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 10 Feb 2021, 3:21 pm

I'm guessing Pivac will go for

Jones, Owens, Francis
Beard, AWJ
6)Navidi, 7)Tips, 8)Faletau
HP, LRZ, North, Halaholo, ?; Biggar, Davies

Vs

Same as last weekend with Thomson in for Graham possibly due to his knowledge of Scarlets.

Thoughts?

It's looking like it will be snowing on Saturday though so I hope the game can go ahead. Might not be a classic match if the weather gets in the way of things. Hopefully it won't be a nail biter of a match and Scotland can have another fast start. Wales enjoy a fast start too though.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 10 Feb 2021, 3:30 pm

Don't expect any surprises from either coach this weekend in terms of team selection. Navidi coming in for Lydiate doesn't help us at all. The breakdown will be hotly contested, and certainly won't be the free ride we had at Twickenham.

I think we'll win, but no chance of 4 tries and Wales will come in within 7 points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 10 Feb 2021, 3:37 pm

bsando wrote:I'm guessing Pivac will go for

Jones, Owens, Francis
Beard, AWJ

Vs

Same as last weekend with Thomson in for Graham possibly due to his knowledge of Scarlets.

Thoughts?

It's looking like it will be snowing on Saturday though so I hope the game can go ahead. Might not be a classic match if the weather gets in the way of things. Hopefully it won't be a nail biter of a match and Scotland can have another fast start. Wales enjoy a fast start too though.

I don't think he will put Halaholo straight in. It'll likely be Tompkins or Watkin at centre. Left wing will be Liam Williams.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 10 Feb 2021, 4:37 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
bsando wrote:I'm guessing Pivac will go for

Jones, Owens, Francis
Beard, AWJ

Vs

Thoughts?

I don't think he will put Halaholo straight in. It'll likely be Tompkins or Watkin at centre. Left wing will be Liam Williams.

Is Williams back? Eek. How long was he out for?

I didn't think Toonie would drop Redpath in straight away but it paid off pretty well last weekend. If I were Pivac I'd have North on the wing and Tompkins and Halaholo starting, both really good attacking players. But I think you're right Risca and he'll likely be replacing Tompkins on the bench.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 10 Feb 2021, 4:48 pm

Three games (one Welsh) in terms of his ban. He could be lacking in match fitness because of his previous injury before the ban, but then I think he's natural athlete and one of those who can play fairly easily after a gap (similar to Navidi etc).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 11 Feb 2021, 12:35 am

Cockers confirmed that Kinghorn has a wrist injury which is why he was released back to Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 11 Feb 2021, 9:23 am

RDW wrote:Cockers confirmed that Kinghorn has a wrist injury which is why he was released back to Edinburgh.

Don't really like to celebrate players being injured, but I get the impression that in Toonies mind Kinghorn is still ahead of Jones in the pecking order - glad that this opens the door for Shug to take that final bench spot his form at Glasgow deserves.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 11 Feb 2021, 10:06 am

EST wrote:
RDW wrote:Cockers confirmed that Kinghorn has a wrist injury which is why he was released back to Edinburgh.

Don't really like to celebrate players being injured, but I get the impression that in Toonies mind Kinghorn is still ahead of Jones in the pecking order - glad that this opens the door for Shug to take that final bench spot his form at Glasgow deserves.

It's sad if that's what it's taken. I hope kinghorn makes a full recovery soon. I think he needs motivation to improve his game, let's hope Jones nails his bench spot so we can also see the best of kinghorn.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 11 Feb 2021, 10:23 am

Those who are on Instagram will know what I'm talking about here - Kinghorn seems to have a girlfriend. Who I'm not surprised is distracting him just now...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 11 Feb 2021, 10:34 am

That hardly explains a wrist injury!

Groin or hamstring maybe!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 11 Feb 2021, 10:36 am

Snigger

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 11 Feb 2021, 11:18 am

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 8 B5c75810

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 11 Feb 2021, 12:44 pm

Is Redpath injured as well? Odd he's dropped otherwise.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 11 Feb 2021, 12:52 pm

RDW wrote:Those who are on Instagram will know what I'm talking about here - Kinghorn seems to have a girlfriend. Who I'm not surprised is distracting him just now...!
That's their job.
As is the reverse.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 11 Feb 2021, 2:03 pm

RDW wrote:Those who are on Instagram will know what I'm talking about here - Kinghorn seems to have a girlfriend. Who I'm not surprised is distracting him just now...!

Does this also explain why your post count has dropped?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Thu 11 Feb 2021, 3:13 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Is Redpath injured as well? Odd he's dropped otherwise.

Apparently a neck injury that will keep him out for a few weeks. Back to the default setting: it's shoite being Scottish.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Feb 2021, 4:58 pm

123456789. wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Is Redpath injured as well? Odd he's dropped otherwise.

Apparently a neck injury that will keep him out for a few weeks. Back to the default setting: it's shoite being Scottish.

It's a massive shame we don't have Rory Hutchinson in the squad. He'd be the perfect player to replace Redpath.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 11 Feb 2021, 9:50 pm

Fun fact - Hogg's first cap was 9 years ago!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 11 Feb 2021, 10:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
123456789. wrote:

It's a massive shame we don't have Rory Hutchinson in the squad. He'd be the perfect player to replace Redpath.
You can't have him. He is starting to play really well for Saints and we won't let him leave the shire except for away matches, and even then, under guard. Besides, we need all the help we can get.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next