The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP John Edrich

Go down

RIP John Edrich Empty RIP John Edrich

Post by king_carlos on Fri 25 Dec 2020, 11:32 am

Some sad news on Christmas day for us this year I'm afraid. England and Surrey great John Edrich has passed away at the age of 83 from natural causes.

One of only five England batsman to score a test triple century putting him in the deserved company of Sandham, Hammond, Hutton and Gooch. Scoring that triple ton on the then lively Headingley wicket also puts him in the illustrious company of Bradman who scored both his test triples at Headingley as well.

Edrich also scored the first boundary in ODI cricket. Whilst one day cricket began in the middle of his career he adapted his game to it better than many. Perhaps surprising given his reputation as a first-class and Test player who excelled through outstanding temperament and knowing his games limitations.

A prolific and remarkably brave batsman he faced his battle with leukemia with the same stoicism he approached fearsome pace bowlers. After being given a prognosis of seven years in 2000 he lived on to see out another two decades.

The following quote comes from his cricinfo bio and made me smile:

On the rare occasions he was struggling for runs, he turned to Wisden to check how many runs he had made. "Twenty thousand, eh?" he would say to himself: "I can't be such a bad player after all!"

Rest in peace John.

king_carlos

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

RIP John Edrich Empty Re: RIP John Edrich

Post by guildfordbat on Fri 25 Dec 2020, 11:57 pm

John Edrich was an immensely talented and determined opening batsman. Remarkably brave as well - never more so than when facing the West Indian pace attack here in '76. I had the pleasure to briefly chat to him about this at the Oval a few years ago. Although his memories were clear, he spoke with modesty and understatement. A good man. RIP.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Sat 26 Dec 2020, 12:02 am

PS Sad to also learn that John Edrich's Surrey colleague Robin Jackman died today. 'Jackers' had great success with his seam bowling at county level across around two decades and in the veteran stage of his career in the early '80s played a handful of Tests for England where he more than held his own.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie on Sat 26 Dec 2020, 2:38 am

Indeed a sad couple of days for the veterans of Surrey...Jackman of course also remembered as a commentator in SA after his retirement from the game.
Edrich was a wonderful player...immense powers of concentration and seemed to have really refined the art of completely forgetting about the previous ball if it had beaten or troubled him and just getting on with the job. Must have been a great aid to his batting partners to see such a calm stable presence at the other end.
At least he achieved many "extra" years of life after his initial diagnosis...his fighting qualities clearly not confined to the cricket field.
RIP both of them.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum