The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unlikely shot you knew you'd make.

+5
liegerwoods
navyblueshorts
Davie
Silver
wolfrunna
9 posters

Go down

Unlikely shot you knew you'd make. Empty Unlikely shot you knew you'd make.

Post by wolfrunna Thu 10 Feb 2011, 7:43 pm

As the title says,i suspect i'm not the only one to KNOW that i would make a shot that i realy wasn't good enough to even think about.
I guess we've all seen Bagger Vance.One of the few things i'm decent at is keeping the ball low out of the tree's and getting distance.
I had a situation where i was in the tree's and pretty much surrounded with them.The only way out was between 2 tree's with a gap of around 4 feet with another tree behind.The ball around 15 feet from the tree's. I wouldn't normaly try a shot like this,but it wouldn't have been easy to get the ball back on the fairway anyway,so,may as well give it a go.
It was something like the shot Matt Damon made in Bagger Vance,just not as extreme.
When adressing the ball i KNEW i would make it.Just knew it.
I've had situations before where i knew,but that was the most extreme.
I guess we've all had them at some time,i'd be interested to hear about yours.

wolfrunna

Back to top Go down

Unlikely shot you knew you'd make. Empty Re: Unlikely shot you knew you'd make.

Post by Silver Thu 10 Feb 2011, 8:54 pm

Awesome wolfrunna, sounds like a great shot. Just the one for me. Haven't been playing long, but in my last round:

Par 4, after two shots I was right of the green, about 20 feet away on a mild down-slope, with a deep bunker between myself and the green. Wasn't sure what to do in the situation due to inexperience and considered chipping angularly right to safety with PW, but instead took SW and tried to pitch on straight at the flag. Had about 5 feet of green beyond the bunker to work with, and a downward slope after the flag - landed it in the fringe and it rolled to within two feet. I only later learned it was a low-percentage shot, and I doubt I could replicate it again (it's my one decent shot, ever Wink), but it felt right when I grabbed that wedge!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:10 pm

Last Spring, playing in a Ryder Cup style North v South challenge over two days.

The first day was 4BBB and I hadn't been playing terribly well for the first 9 but started to get things going on the back. I won the 16th for us to go one up and we came to the 17th which was a long, uphill par-3.

I hit a pretty long iron (can't remember exactly what - 3 or 4 iron) and just caught the Captain's Charity bunker at the front of the green which was a nasty deep little bunker. My partner was effectively out of the hole and two opponents were both on the green.

Bunker play is not my best strength but somehow I just fancied this shot; my partner even offered to pay the charity fine for the bunker if I put it close.

I played to about 4 inches for a tap in 3 and as I was getting a shot on the hole, that was a net 2 and enough to win the hole and the match

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:56 pm

Playing a club singles matchplay last year. Dormie 3 down, he has a shot on 16 (par 4) and he's striped his drive down the middle leaving about an 8-iron. Plays a weakish shot about 5 yards short of green; surely thinking it's over. I'd hit a good drive leaving about 60 yards in. I joked that I'd better hole it for an eagle and as I said it, I really fancied it. Logic obviously sat on my shoulder blowing raspberries but as soon as I hit my half punched SW, I knew it was in. Two bounces, grabbed just short and toppled in. Still lost on the last though :606laugh:.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Thu 10 Feb 2011, 10:10 pm

35th hole of the club championship final and i was in the greenside bunker shortsided and playing onto a downslope and dormie 2 down.
i knew i would hole it for par !
my opponents caddy new i would hole it ! (he is my doubles partner)
my opponent thought the game was over as he had a 2 footer for par!

didnt look anywhere else when i played it.... he missed.... i birdied the last to tie the game.

lost at the 41st hole........ :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 11 Feb 2011, 8:39 am

Company golf day a couple of years ago. Par 4 where I scuffed my tee shot which meant my 2nd needed to carry water, but from this position the ball would hit the green which sloped steeply away from me and run into the drink on the other side. The easy way was to hit it over the corner away from the green and chip on and hope to get close and try for par. I really fancied going for it and hit a 9-iron over the water to pitch into the fringe, and it checked and stopped next to the pin. It felt like I'd won the open, absolutley stunning shot which had people clapping from adjoining fairways/tees. I don't think I could do it again Smile

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:16 am

That would have to be in the final of a foursomes matchplay event that ued to run in my local area, 18th hole all square opponents in middle of fairway with about 160 to go into the wind. My playing partner put me in the rought behind a clump of conifers no site of green except front right bunker.

Pin was cut tight left behind another bunker so impossible shot couldn't go over them, but then I had my Faldo moment remembering the hook shot around the trees he played on 18 at Oak in 95 RC against curtis strange.

The think was if I could hook it round the trees enough to get close to front edge we could chip and putt for par and hopefully a playoff hole chance.

Had about 165 to go and needed a lot of bend on the ball, took out an 8 rion slightly hooding the club face, took aim 40yards right of the front bunker my only view point for reference and commited to it (had it gone wrong would've been certain loss) made perfect contact ball sailed out right and move about 50yards right to left in the air, pitched font edge in the 10 yard gap between the 2 front bunkers and due to the hook spin in proceeded to release and side spin in towards the pin which was tucked behin the left bunker to about 3feet. Oppenents Jaws hit the flaw as they knew they now had to take on a dangerous pin, subsequently shortsided themselves in front bunker, walked onto 18th green to a few woops and cheers from guys watching on balcony, Opponents splashed out and missed the par putt and had to concede the match to our wonder birdie.

Tried it again in a bounce round for giggles on the same course a month later, could i do it again, nope, left it 40yards right that time, but then that time didn't matter

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:37 am

Been a few... But similar to Mave in a Thorton Cup game we were all square going down the 18th at my club. My partner tried to play a low 2 iron down the fairway and fanned it into grass about 6 inches deep leaving me 160ish downhill, over water, to a tight front pin and out of a nasty lie.

With a shedload of people watching I pulled a six iron (when I could hear the spectators saying he has to lay it up here) and smashed it to about 5 feet.

The other guys bottle went and they hit a nice little John West Leaping Salmon of a divot that just about flopped the ball into the front of the lake.

1 up victory thanks. thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 11 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm

Had a few that stick in the mind although not so many where I actually FULLY believed Id pull off.

In an early round singles match all square coming up the last and I had to give a shot. Nailed a drive to what I thought was a good position. Our last is a left to right dogleg with a ditch running diagonally across the fairway. Right off the tee leaves no shot, left leaves a longer in shot to a reasonably guarded green. Going too far off the tee however can either put you in the ditch or leave you too close to the hedge which accompanies the ditch about a third of the way in from the left hand side. There's also a tree in that part of the hedge.
Got to my ball and I was snookered behind said tree, I had to get the ball up pretty quickly too to avoid the hedge. With nothing in the way I'd have been an easy 7 or flushed 8 iron. However I wasn't sure a 7 would get over the hedge. As I'd been (unintentionally) fading irons all day I decided to go just left of the tree with a high faded 7. Flushed it to 6 inches and a concession as my opponent took 3 to get on and missed his net birdie putt. Went on to win the matchplay singles that year but if that hedge had been an inch or 2 higher!!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down